Eleos (Book two in The Empath...

Bởi SammyJW37

Lucy and her friends have managed to break down the power that locked the gates back into Eleos and now they... Xem Thêm

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Nine

34 5 4
Bởi SammyJW37

The cottage looked completely different.

It was so much brighter now, more alive.

The dilapidated mess that it had been in when they arrived had very obviously been miraculously fixed, and in its place was a warm and inviting home.

Scarlett had indeed been busy. All the dust had been swept away, and the broken windows were repaired and currently flung wide open, letting the fresh air wash through the cottage – bringing with it the wonderful smell of wildflowers growing along the river.

The little path leading up to the front porch had been cleared of all the weeds and the front door was no longer hanging off its hinges

"How..." Lucy mumbled before she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"You're here!" Scarlett cheered, skipping the last step with a small bound and wrapping her arms around Lucy's neck. "Is Jared with you?" she asked, stepping back to look over Lucy's shoulder.

"He'll be here soon," Lucy replied with a laugh, surprised by this new, exuberant version of her aunt. "He's just helping Rachel with her things."

"Well," Scarlett continued, rubbing her hands together. "I've already started working on the house for you and Jared. You'll be taking mine and your mother's old room and I've started setting up my parent's old bedroom for Jared."

"Sounds great," Lucy replied, before she really heard what Scarlett had said. "Wait," Lucy said, taking her aunt by the hand. "Where will you be..." but she drifted off as Lucas walked in, sheepishly tucking his hands into his pockets.

Scarlett stepped over to him and wrapped an arm around his waist. "Why don't you and Tristan take a seat in the dining room. I'll make some tea and we'll talk about what's happening as soon as your brother gets here."

Lucy looked at her aunt, who was smiling up at Luke, and suddenly she understood. With a nod of her head, Lucy dropped the rest of her bags by the door, took Tristan's hand, and they followed Lucas and Scarlett into the little kitchen.

"This looks amazing, Scarlett," Lucy said as stood in the dining room, gazing around at the cottage.

Now that the dust had been cleared, all of the white wood kitchen cabinets, the dark wood bench tops, and the carefully handmade table and chairs – also painted with white wash – made the little cottage feel even more homely than their house back in Blackwood.

Everything had a touch of sentiment, like a piece of their family was etched into each and every item in the room. Years of family history, right there in each pot, pan and cup.

Lucy ran her hand over the dining table, feeling the imperfections in the wood and she smiled.

"Your grandfather made that table," Scarlett whispered, crossing the room to stand beside Lucy. "In fact, he made almost all of the furniture you see here." She looked around with a loving gaze. "He was so talented," she added with glistening eyes.

"Scarlett has been working hard to make sure the cottage felt as comfortable as possible for you and your brother," Lucas added as he filled a teapot with water and put it on the cast iron stove. He waved a hand and flames sprung up under the teapot.

Once again, Lucy looked around the room.

The pretty floral curtains hanging over the windows were pulled back and waving gently in the breeze. The sun drifted into each room, its warm rays of light streaming across the floors. As the wind shifted the trees outside, shadows moved lazily across the furniture in a mesmerizing rhythm that gave Lucy a wonderful sense of comfort.

Her eyes drifted over the kitchen where pots and pans hung from an iron frame in the middle of the room right over an island bench with wheels so that it could be pushed around when needed.

The cast iron stove sat comfortably in a brick alcove, also home to several more pots and pans with big wooden spoons hanging on the walls beside it.

On the windowsill above the sink there was a long pot nestled neatly between two flower pots, and it was brimming with herbs that Lucy could smell from where she was standing. Basil and rosemary, mint and thyme. All of the aromas mixed together to make the cottage smell fresh and welcoming.

Lucy turned just as Jared walked through the front door, where he dropped his bags beside Lucy's.

"Hey guys, sorry, I just had to help Rachel..." He was halfway into the room when he stopped and looked around. "Am I in the right house?"

Scarlett laughed openly. "Yes, Jared. You're in the right house. Luke and I been very busy fixing it up for you guys."

Jared pulled a face. "Performing miracles, you mean? This isn't possible." He entered the dining room and reached out to touch the table, just as Lucy had when she first walked in.

"That's just another perk of having the powers we that we do, Jared," Scarlett said with a grin. "When put to good use, they can help us to achieve the impossible." She held out her hands, indicating to the cottage and its incredible transformation.

Jared's face lit up. "Man, I can't WAIT to learn how to do this." He took another look around, touching windows and furniture that only a short time ago looked utterly ruined and destined for the scrap heap. "Unbelievable," he whispered.

"Alright, well, why don't you all take a seat," Scarlett said as the teapot began to squeal.

Lucas waved a hand and the flames disappeared. Instantly, the squealing ceased. "I'll make the tea," he said.

"Would you like me to leave?" Tristan suddenly asked, looking a little awkward, and comically oversized in the little cottage dining room.

"Of course not," Scarlett replied as she ushered him to the table. "Please, take a seat Tristan."

"What's going on?" Jared asked, still quietly tapping on one of the cottage windows, his brow creased with curiosity.

"Here, sit down and we'll tell you," Scarlett replied. "It's good news, I promise." She laughed a little when Jared returned to tapping on the window, still looking for evidence of its repairs before he shrugged and slid into a seat at the table.

Scarlett helped Lucas with the tea and then sat down with her niece and nephew, nervously folding her hands on the table in front of her. Lucas grabbed a stool from the corner of the room and sat behind her, his hand on her shoulder.

The little crease between Jared's eyes deepened as he watched his aunt fidget in her seat. "It's alright, you can tell us," he prompted gently.

Scarlett's face began to redden. "Well," she said, turning to look up at Luke, who nodded his head just slightly, encouraging her to go on. When she turned back, her eyes had begun to shine with tears, but she was smiling in a way that they had never seen before.

"What is it, Scarlett?" Lucy asked, reaching out to take her aunt's hand.

"The thing is," Scarlett said as she looked down at their joined hands. "Now that we're back in Eleos, and I know that you are both going to be safe here, I was wondering..." she looked back at Lucas again before continuing. "Actually, we were wondering, if you both might feel comfortable living here, in the cottage, on your own?" She looked across at Lucy and Jared, her eyes bright and full of hope. "I wouldn't be far away, of course. And I'll always be here for you when you need me, but if you're not sure and you want me to stay, I will. It's just that..." she trailed off as Lucy smiled and held up her hand.

"Scarlett," Lucy said, giving her aunt's hand a squeeze. "You've done so much for Jared and I. Over the last three years, you've been here to help us through so many hard things. You've always put us first, no matter what." Lucy looked across at her brother. "Right?"

"Indeed," Jared replied, nodding his head.

"So, it's about time you did something for yourself," Lucy continued. "And if living with Luke is what will make you happy, then you should do it."

Tears sprung from Scarlett's eyes, dripping down her cheeks. "Really?" she asked. "You both don't mind?"

"Of course not," Jared answered as he reached over to rub Scarlett's arm. "You've spent the last twenty years thinking Luke was gone forever, and I bet you both have some serious catching up to do." He grinned and wiggled his eyebrows.

"Jared, eww," Lucy said, pulling a face at him. "Although, he is right... in a way," she added, frowning at her brother. "You've both lost so much, and you've both spent so much time being sad. Now, it's time to be happy, together. We'll be fine. We're surrounded by so many people here in Eleos who we know and trust, and like you said, we're safe here."

Relief and joy flowed from Scarlett like a river breaking its banks. She stood up from her seat and wrapped her arms around Lucy, before quickly doing the same for Jared. "I love you both so much," she said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "And I really won't be far away, just a short stroll through the forest." She smiled up at Luke, who wrapped his arm around her shoulders and kissed her forehead.

Lucy stood up and took both Scarlett and Luke's hands in hers. "We just want you both to be happy."

"Thank you, Lucy," Luke replied, squeezing her hand. "You have no idea how much this means to us. And as your aunt said, we're only a short stroll away. If you ever need anything, anything at all, you let us know, anytime, alright?" He looked deep into Lucy's eyes, urging her to feel this genuine and real truth.

Lucy smiled and nodded. "Of course."

"Alright," Scarlett said, wiping her face again. "I need to show you both how things work around here. It's a little different to Blackwood, as you can probably imagine, and you need to know how to use things now that you're going to be on your own." She stopped and stared back at Lucy and Jared, her lip quivering. "Are you absolutely sure this is alright?"

Jared laughed and crossed the room, wrapping his arms around her. "Would you stop stressing. We'll be fine. It's not like we're children anymore, and besides, you guys are literally a stone's throw away. If we have any trouble, we'll come and tell you." He looked down at her and gave her his best cocky smile, to which she rolled her eyes playfully and shook her head.

"Now, show us what we need to know so that you guys can start getting settled into your own home together," Jared continued, giving Scarlett a light push toward the stairs.

They made their way through the cottage, starting with the large piece of grace glass tucked safely away in a display cabinet in the sitting room. It was in the shape of a tree, it's leaves a brilliant shade of purple and blue, and it was pulsing with light and energy.

"This piece of glass is running the entire cottage," Scarlett said, placing her hand gently against the cabinet door. "There's no need for you to touch it at the moment. It's been activated and should keep running indefinitely so long as there is an Empath living in the cottage. It powers the lights, water, gas, fire – basically anything you need to live here." She turned to Lucy and Jared with a smile. "When you're not home, it will power down and to save energy and then begin generating the cottage again as soon as it senses your presence."

"So, there's no need for us to use our own power then?" Jared asked, scrunching his nose up.

"Oh, of course you can," Scarlett replied with a wave of her hand. "In fact, you'll need to use your own power to turn things off and on – this just sustains the constant usage within the dwelling so that you don't burn out. You'll probably even feel a boost to your own power within these walls so long as this piece of grace glass is functioning properly."

Jared nodded with raised eyebrows, impressed. "Excellent," he said, grinning across at his sister.

"For example," Scarlett continued. "When you walk into a room, you'll just need to draw from earth and air to create power to turn the lights on, like this," she waved her hand and Lucy felt the power flow into the room. The lights gradually came to life within the lamps that were scattered around the sitting room. "All you need to do is allow the grace glass to take over holding onto the flows. And when you want to turn them off, just feel for the flows and cut them off, like this." With another wave of her hand, the lights went out with a blink. "Now, your turn." She looked over at Lucy and nodded her head.

With a grin, Lucy felt for earth and air and directed it to the lights in the room. She watched as they once again slowly sprung to life, and then she felt the grace glass taking control. Letting go of the flow was easy, she just passed it along until she could practically see it shimmering into the glass.

"Now turn them off," Scarlett said, standing proudly by the door.

Lucy picked up the flow again and quickly cut it off, extinguishing the lights with a wave of her hand.

She turned to Scarlett, who was smiling proudly. "Oh, well done," Scarlett said, lightly clapping her hands before turning to Jared. "Go on, Jared."

Just as easily as Lucy had, Jared turned on the lights in the sitting room and quickly flicked them off again. "Easy," he said, looking smug.

"I told you they were fast learners," Scarlett said to Luke, who was watching on and looking properly impressed.

"Indeed," he replied with a nod.

They made their way through the house and Scarlett showed them how to use all of the utilities, finishing at the door of what would be Jared's room as soon as she had finished setting it up.

"I just have a few more windows to fix, some dust to clear and some old bits and pieces to remove and it will be ready for you to settle into," she turned to Jared and put her hands on either side of his face. "Just give me half an hour."

Jared smiled down at her and nodded. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

"Not at all," she replied, rubbing her hands together. "Go and see Rachel and I'll have this place ready for you when you get back."

Jared grinned at her, kissed her on the forehead and headed for the stairs. "You're the best," he said before he disappeared. They could just hear him patting Luke on the back as he left the cottage. "Take care of our aunt," he called over his shoulder, and then he was gone.

Luke made his way up the stairs, chuckling. "He's a good egg, that one."

"Sometimes," Lucy replied, half smiling.

"You both are," Luke said, gently resting his hand on Lucy's shoulder. "And seriously, if you both ever need anything, we're only a short stroll through the forest. I'd hate it if you guys thought I was taking your aunt away from you."

"Of course not," Lucy replied with a shake of her head. "We'll be fine, honestly." She looked up at him and felt the worry buried deep under his carefully constructed exterior. "But... thank you," she added, reaching up to give his hand a light squeeze.

He smiled down at her, his eyes deep and searching. "By the Goddess, you look like your father," he whispered with a laugh, and Lucy suddenly felt a wave of sadness wash over her. She had forgotten that Luke was her father's best friend.

She stared up at him, wondering what to say when there was a knock at the front door. "Anyone home?" Riley's voice called from just inside the open door.

"Go on," Scarlett said, waving Lucy and Tristan away. "Go have a look around. Explore. You'll love it." She smiled, winked, and turned to walk off into Jared's room.

Lucy looked up at Luke one last time, but his attention was on Scarlett now and the sadness she had felt before was gone. Lucy had no doubt at all that Luke still loved her aunt as much as the day they were separated, that much was obvious just in his expression when he looked at her, but Lucy could feel it too. His joy at seeing her again, being near her, and knowing she was back was overwhelming. She watched Luke follow Scarlett into the room before turning to Tristan, who was watching her with a small smile.

"They're really happy," he said. "Even I can feel it."

"I'm so glad," Lucy replied. She took Tristan's hand and they walked down the stairs.

Riley was standing in the doorway, eyes wide. "Wow," he said as Lucy and Tristan appeared. "This place looks amazing."

Lilith was standing behind him, poking her head under his arm. "Seriously, Scarlett has been working overtime," she said, giving Riley a light push as she squeezed past him.

"My parents are still trying to decide whose house to move into, dad's parents old place or mum's," Riley said with a shrug. "Either way, we'll be living in the same village, so I don't see what the problem is."

Lucy looked back over her shoulder before answering. "Well, Jared and I will be living here now and Scarlett is going to move into Luke's cabin with him."

"What? Seriously?" Riley answered. "That's awesome!"

"That is awesome," Lilith agreed. "And a really great idea, I mean, you guys are both eighteen and it makes sense for Scarlett and Luke to live together, after all those years apart."

"Yep," Lucy replied.

"So, this means you and Jared have to learn to fend for yourselves now?" Riley asked with a grin.

"I guess so," Lucy replied. "I'm still not entirely sure how everything works yet. There's still so much we need to learn. Like... how to we even pay for anything?"

"Oh! I know the answer to that," Riley said, suddenly becoming overly animated. "Everything is free!"

Lucy rolled her eyes. "Riley, be serious for a second."

"I am!" Riley exclaimed.

Lilith shook her head and stepped up beside Riley, giving him a light shove. "It's not that things are free, so to speak," she said, air-quoting the word 'free' with a sideways glace at Riley. "It's just that they work on a supply system. Everyone supplies someone with something, like they all contribute to their little community. I imagine it's probably very similar in the city, only on a larger scale. So, yeah, things are 'free', but everyone helps out. Does that make sense?"

Lucy scrunched up her nose. "Sort of... I guess. Like a barter system, right?"

Lilith cleared her throat and thought for a moment. "Kind of, only you don't need to walk into a store with something to trade." She stopped and scratched her head when Lucy looked even more confused. "It's like, everyone has a purpose within the community. Everyone contributes. And as a result, things are shared. If you need bread, you go see the baker and he will supply you with what you need, but his supplies subsequently come from someone else who has either acquired or grown them, and so on and so forth. Everyone contributes. Like paying it forward."

Lucy took a second to think about what Lilith was saying before it finally sunk in. "Right, paying it forward. I get it. Everyone has a purpose and everyone contributes, therefore things aren't 'free', but they are supplied when needed, so long as you are able to contribute in some way or another to the same community."

"Yes... exactly!" Lilith replied, slapping Lucy on the arm enthusiastically.

"So, how are we going to contribute?" Lucy asked, looking at each of her friends in turn, who looked back at her in stunned silence.

"Probably something we should ask about, right?" Riley added as he took out a notepad a jotted down a few words.

"What's this? Pen and paper?" Lucy asked, looking shocked.

"Don't ask," Riley replied, shaking his head. "I've had to revert back to primitive tools since my phone died, and I think it may actually be killing me." He shoved the notepad and pen back in his pocket and folded his arms across his chest.

Lilith laughed. "You're so dramatic."

"I am not," Riley replied, trying to look offended.

"Come on, let's go for a walk through the village," Lilith said, taking Riley by the arm and dragging him out onto the porch. "You guys need to see how amazing it all looks now."

Lucy looked up at Tristan. "What do you think?"

Tristan nodded and held out a hand. "Let's go take a look around," he replied, pulling Lucy toward him as she placed her hand in his and he squeezed her against him. "We just need to drop my bags off first," he said as he lightly kissed the top of her head.

Lucy thought for a moment before pushing back to look up at him with a grin.

"Why don't you leave your bags here," she said, biting her lip. "At least for now."

Riley made a strange snorting sound before Lilith slapped him on the arm and dragged him away from the front door.

Tristan looked down at Lucy with raised eyebrows. "Are you sure?"

Lucy nodded. "I'm not sure I want to spend my first night in our little cottage alone, and I always feel better when you're with me."

Tristan smiled warmly. "Of course," he replied, pushing a stray curl off her face. "As long as you need me, I'll be here."

Lucy's heart fluttered happily in her chest and she reached up on tip toes to press her lips to his. "Thank you," she said, running her hand down the side of his face.

"Oh my god, could you guys hurry up already," Riley called from outside. "You're seriously grossing me out."

They could just hear Lilith whisper, "Would you shut up," before she pushed him off the porch and down the path toward the village.

Lucy smiled up at Tristan and he pinched her softly on the nose before taking her hand, kissing the back of it and leading her outside.

She took one more look inside the cottage before shutting the door and heading off up the path with her friends. 

Author's Note - I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. There's something so exciting about creating a new world - although it can get a little daunting at times! Eleos is my happy place, and it's something I picture whenever I need to find some peace! It's a place that's lived in my mind for a very long time, and when I began writing my characters, I could see them all there, living their best and most beautiful lives! It's nice to finally write them back into their home - their real home!

Please feel free to leave comments if you would like to. I welcome all constructive feedback!

Happy reading! :-D

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

36 5 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
77 3 22
A teenage girl named Luna found herself on unknown place and had no trace of her memory. Until a group of people decide to help her. With that, they...
45 0 5
17-year-old Ophelia Falls has never had an easy life, or a sense of normalcy within it. As an infant, Ophelia was mysteriously discovered in a basket...
75 3 20
On peaceful Reunion Island, a new era is beginning. Louan, a thirteen-year-old boy, is not aware of the turning his life will take, and this year wi...