Honesty - Criminal Minds || S...

Da bekah-x

{Book One} COMPLETED - SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12 The BAU were not ready for the arrival of Aaron's Hotchne... Altro

POV Titles.
Prologue
1. Agent Brenda Melanie Joyner
2. Team
3. Digging The Dirt
4. Skin
5. Swallowing Your Pride
6. CH3CH2OH
7. Carpe Diem
8. Out With It
9. What You Waiting For?
10. Competition
11. Act Normal
12. Blame It On Me
13. The Winning Move
14. Life Support
15. Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
16. We're the FBI
18. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman
20. From Past To Present
21. What's Meant To Be Will Be
22. Gratitude
23. The Gift of Love
24. Proximity
25. Inseparable
26. Reconciliation
27. What's Mine Is Yours
28. It Can Happen To Anyone
29. Overview
30. Reach Out Your Hand
31. This Time It's Personal
32. It's All About The Impact
33. Take Me To Church
34. It's Better Late Than Never
35. Sheer Perfection
36. Feel My Pain
37. Small Bump
38. Hold Me Closer
39. What Is The Right Thing?
40. Arrivederci

17. What Makes You Beautiful

18.7K 241 485
Da bekah-x

"For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others." ~ Sam Levenson

The Daughter

Spencer and I have now been dating for two months. Alaska was a month ago now, and we haven't seen or heard from Strauss since then.

Aaron explained how she didn't ask after either Spencer or I but occasionally checked in on how the team were doing.

Rossi and I were totally fine; it wasn't him I had the problem with. I was kind of irritated because before Alaska; Strauss and I had got along pretty well.

She'd been keen on admitting me to the BAU and happily accepted my transfer papers even before Aaron had accepted me to the team. She'd stuck by me through the trouble and animosity between us in the beginning and encouraged me to stick with it; that the air would thin out sooner or later. Now however, I couldn't stomach to even think of her.

Hypocrite.

Next week is Christmas, and for the next fortnight we have no work. We all have two and a half weeks of BAU-free time and I cannot wait for it.

I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing not all that long after noon. Smiling at the ID I answered with a sleepy,

"Hey Spence."
"Good afternoon sleepy head."
"You're one to talk," I joked, rolling onto my back while yawning. "How are you?" I asked and I heard him smile.

Yes, heard him smile.

"I'm great thank you, how are you this fine afternoon?"
"All the better for being awoken by you."
"And you call me cheesy!" He laughed.

"Anyway, what're your plans for our first day of freedom?" He asked and I heard a crunch.
"Well," I thought. "Nothing," I laughed after a pause. "Spence what're you doing?" I enquired as I heard more crunching.
"What?" He mumbled. "Oh," He laughed. "Sorry I'm eating an apple,"

We both chuckled and the crunching stopped. "Well, I'm pleased you have no plans, because I was thinking you could come over for dinner later on...?" He asked and I grinned.

"To your apartment?" I enquired with a grin.
"I promise I've cleaned." He joked.
"What time should I come over?" I asked.

"Is six okay? I'm making spaghetti." I tried not to cheer.
"Sounds perfect," I agreed. "Will I bring pyjamas?"
"If you're referring to your pair of bobbly leggings and my hoodie you still have then yes, you can bring them."

I laughed at his totally sarcastic tone and turned to the door as it volleyed open and Jack ran in, jumping on my bed excitedly.

"Sounds great, I have to go," I laughed, ruffling Jack's hair and batting his hand away as he tried to do the same to me. Aaron then appeared in the doorway with a cup of coffee and a smile. "See you later."

"Not if I see you first." We hung up and I sat up on the bed, taking the coffee from Aaron's hands with a good morning and a thank you.

"Making plans?" He asked, folding his arms with a smile.
"I'm going to Spencer's for dinner." I explained.
"Sounds lovely," He smiled and I nodded enthusiastically. 

"Jack and I were wondering if you'd like to come grocery shopping," Aaron laughed and Jack nodded his head. "We seem to be lacking in food supplies." Aaron rolled his eyes and I could tell he was quoting Jack there.

"Sounds like fun, Oreos for breakfast lunch and dinner!" I cheered and Jack whooped.
"Please don't encourage him." Aaron groaned humorously.
"Only kidding, don't forget the pancakes and Nutella too!" Jack threw his arms around his neck; the pair of us laughing as Aaron hung his head and left the bedroom.

The Doctor

My stomach rolled with nerves as I buzzed Melanie into the building at six o'clock. I was so terrified to ask her what I had planned, but I knew I shouldn't be.

I was being silly.

Morgan had told me so himself. As had Garcia. They both knew how ridiculous I was being, but I had to ask them for help and advice to make sure I was doing the right thing.

I mean it was Christmas in a week's time; we'd been dating for a couple of months now; surely it was the right time and the right thing to ask?

Oh, I just didn't know; I couldn't think past the barrage of nerves and butterflies threatening to choke me.

I unlocked the front door and left it ajar as I returned to the kitchen to finish dinner.

"Wow, something smells amazing!" Melanie remarked, entering the apartment.
"Thanks, I've been slaving all day!" I joked.

"Hello." She grinned, entering the kitchen and wrapping her arms around my shoulders, stretching up to kiss my cheek. Still, after two months, I grew bashful.

"Hello." I replied.
"I brought what you requested." She said and rolled her eyes.
"Excellent, I've missed that battered old thing."
"I hope you're referring to your hoodie and not me."

I laughed and drained the spaghetti.

"Do you need a hand?" She asked; watching as I plated up.
"Not at all," I shook my head, swallowing more butterflies. "Just you sit down at the eloquent dining table in the living room." Melanie laughed and left the kitchen, much to my relief.

I sat down at the table opposite Melanie and she grinned from ear-to-ear.

"I love this," She told me sincerely.

"Really?" I asked in surprise and she nodded her head.
"Give me a wholesome meal in any day." She told me seriously. I smiled and shook my head in awe; just another one of the amazing things I loved about Melanie Hotchner.

I was still getting used to calling her that.

"Melly..." I began a little nervously half-way through dinner. "I know now's probably not the perfect time to ask this," I cleared my throat; unable to meet her eyes. "But I can't not ask you any longer," I wasn't even making sense; my nerves were giving me word-vomit.

"We've been dating for a while now..." I picked at my food with my fork, my stomach rolling. "And it's coming up for Christmas..." I took a deep breath. 

"I understand that you want to spend your first Christmas at the BAU with your family, which is lovely, and I want to spend my Christmas with my mom, like I always do, but I still want to spend our first Christmas together, with you..." I gushed. I took another deep breath.

"Which is why I want to ask if you'll come to Vegas with me the day after Christmas." I blurted.

Slowly I looked up and met Melanie's eyes.

"I know I haven't told you much about my mother, but I know you know she's sick, and she lives in Vegas where I used to live. I don't visit her often, but I spend every Christmas with her... 

"I'll be going to see her on Christmas Eve, but I'd like for you to join us on the day after Christmas Day. I totally understand if I'm asking too much, but I'd love it if-"

"Spence," Melanie interrupted, reaching across the table for my hand. I looked up at her eyes and saw tears rolling down her cheeks as she laced our hands together. With her other hand, she quickly swatted her tears away and smiled emotionally at me.

"I'd love to spend Boxing Day with you and your mum." She told me in a thick voice.
"Really?!" I gushed, completely taken by surprise.

Boxing Day was the British name for the day after Christmas Day. We didn't really class it as a holiday here, but it was renowned in Britain. It was funny to hear her saying it.

"Of course, I'm flattered you'd want to share that with me." She admitted and I grinned, getting up from my chair desperately and throwing my arms around her, hearing her laugh and feeling her wrap her arms around me in return, running her hands up and down my back.

"She lives in a home for the mentally ill," I blurted and Melanie nodded her head. "She has schizophrenia and I admitted her there when I was eighteen." 

Suddenly my smile drained and I felt the happiness leave me at the memory.

Suddenly I wasn't holding Melanie at all; instead, she was holding me.

I moved and sat back down on my chair, letting go of Melanie as I did so.

Upon seeing my expression she winced and immediately got up from her chair, wrapping her arms around me and pulled my head against her chest, kissing the top of my hair and sighing.

"Spencer you did what any good son would do," She told me firmly. "You did the only thing you could do to help your mum," She said. "I'm so proud of you," 

She explained slowly, the words sinking in and surprising me.

"You have no idea how proud I am of you doing such a brave thing. You didn't want to hurt your mum, but you also didn't want her hurting herself, and so you had to make a life-changing decision in order to keep her safe. I'm so so proud of you for doing that." She told me.

She pulled back and forced me to pull away. She took my chin in her hand and forced me to look at her, bending down so we were on the same eye-level.

"You are a wonderful person, Spencer Reid," She told me as she stared deep into my eyes. 

"And you are an even better son," She leaned forward and pressed her lips to mine before pulling back and smiling. "I'd be honoured to spend Christmas with you and your mum."

The Daughter

"Wow, would you look at that," I joked, lightening the atmosphere by folding myself onto his lap. "Look who's fallen and look who caught me," Spencer smiled and wrapped his arms around my waist tightly as I draped an arm around his shoulder.

"Due to your complete soppiness, dinner's gone cold," I said against his cheek. He pulled back with a saddened expression and I reached forward, touching his chin again. "Hey, I was only joking Spence." I explained, giving a little sigh.

"Oh..." He said. "Sorry." He mumbled. I frowned and leaned forward, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"What's the matter?" I asked quietly.
"Nothing..." He lied.
"C'mon Spence you can't lie to me, remember?" He sighed and tightened his grip so hard I thought he may squeeze me to death. He buried his head so deep in my neck I was frightened he was trying to bury his head there forever.

"I just hate thinking of that time." He explained in a quiet voice far younger than his years.

I was silent as I processed this and turned my face down into his, moving his mound of hair out of the way in order to kiss his head.

"Don't think of it then," I whispered in a gentle voice. "There's no need to now it's in the past," I explained. "You're here, now, with me. There's no need to be thinking of times that make you sad," I reasoned, kissing his head again and moving his head off of my chest, tipping it up to face me.

"Your mum is in the best possible place she can be, Spence. Please don't think of times that make you sad when there's no need to." He blinked, nodding his head despite the fact he couldn't look me in the eye.

I sighed and scrambled off his lap, climbing to my feet.
"What're you doing?" He mumbled in surprise and I ignored him, catching his hand and yanking him to his feet. I pulled him across the room, walking him into the bedroom where a full-length mirror stood in the corner of the room.

"Look there," I demanded. "Tell me what you see." I said in my firmest voice.
"I see us." He said in a small voice. 

"Really? That's all you see? 

"Because I see an incredible man who would do anything in his power to protect those he loves and cares for. You put yourself in a room with me where we were trapped together, alone, to die. We didn't know if we'd ever get out.

"You did the best thing you possibly could for your mother by ensuring she could no longer hurt herself. She's somewhere with people who can care for her better than you or I or any other person out here can,"

When he still didn't say anything I groaned and pushed back inside the living room, pulling one of his certificates from one of the bookshelves. He followed me back along the hall and was peering at me thoughtfully.

"You are a genius, Spencer. A beautiful," My voice cracked. "Strong, charming, caring, loveable, intelligent genius. I don't know how you can't see that." I said to him tearfully as he stood watching me gesture to his certificate.

"I'm sorry..." He said, approaching me slowly and placed his certificate onto the dining table, subsequently sliding our plates to the side and took my hands into his.

"I just feel like I've come here for you to be sad." 

I shrugged and he looked down at me, shaking his head.

"I'm not sad, I'm just disappointed in myself all over again."
"...And sad," I added, caressing his cheek. "Your eyes are the saddest I've ever seen them."

He shrugged and looked away from me, blinking rapidly a few times as if trying to change the emotions and feelings I could read there.

"I hate seeing you like this Spence. Shouldn't you be happy?" I enquired. "I'm going to meet your mum. That's a good thing, isn't it?" He nodded his head, sighing emphatically and turning back to me.

"You're right," He agreed in a chirpier tone, his lips turning upwards at the corners again. "And I am happy about it, I promise." I arched an eyebrow and he broke a smile at my expression. I grinned and threw my arms around his neck.

"Please don't be sad ever again," I said like a child. "I hate seeing you sad. I don't know what to do." He chuckled and clutched my back tightly.

"I can't make any promises to not be sad again unless you promise to never leave me." I froze in his arms, not entirely sure what he was meaning.

Slowly I pulled back with questioning eyes and realised he was blushing entirely, biting his lip precariously.

"Did you just...?" I didn't know how to finish that sentence and so Spencer nodded. "Oh Spence," I grinned, wrapping my arms around his neck again. "Don't say that," I begged. "I'm not going to leave you."

"Well then," He reasoned. "I'll never have any excuse to be sad. Ever again." I grinned emotionally at his words and clutched him tighter, making him chuckle.

"So..." He ran his hands up and down my back. "When I invited you over for dinner I didn't exactly have plans to stand in the middle of my apartment holding you all night." He said after a while. I laughed and pulled back sniffing.

"Sorry," I laughed. "I'm just emotionally overwhelmed by your cuteness." He chuckled and laced our fingers together, leading me over to the sofa where we sat down.

"I'm apparently gifted with cuteness," He said, rolling his eyes. "It's my best talent." I chuckled,
"You're a genius and your best talent is your cuteness? Wow, it must be truly remarkable." Spencer gasped and put a hand against his chest in mock-shock.

"You mean you don't think it's my best talent?" I giggled at his expression and shoved his shoulder, bringing my legs up onto the sofa and folding them under myself as I leaned against him saying,

"Your best talent is just being yourself." I told him truthfully and he cooed.
"Wow, Mel you're full of compliments this evening." He said, nudging my shoulder as he laced our hands together and kissed the back of my hand.

The Doctor

Later that night I was laid curled on Melanie's chest as she lay on her back on the sofa, playing with my hair.

"Spence..." She said after a while, my eyelids drooping as I watched the TV. 

"Mhmm?" I mumbled.

"I'm sorry for earlier," She apologised and I frowned, turning my face up to hers by placing my chin on her chest, our mouths mere centimetres apart.

"I hope I didn't come across as being insensitive..." She said in a soft tone. "I didn't mean it like that, I just didn't want you to be sad anymore and I didn't know how to cheer you up..." I gave her a sleepy smile and shook my head.

"Melly you could never come across as being insensitive, even if you did try."

She smiled and ran her fingers all the way back through my hair, making my eyes droop closed and an involuntary moan to slip quietly from my lips.

I cursed myself and opened my eyes wide, boring them into Melanie's instead, watching as she smiled.

"You're perfect, Spencer Reid." She told me, reaching forward and pushing her lips against mine.

The Daughter

"How was last night?" Aaron asked as the pair of us cleaned up after dinner the following evening.

"It was good," I nodded, placing the dishes in the dishwasher and straightening up. "Actually..." I bit my lip.

Was now really the best time to tell him about Vegas?

Suddenly I was saved by the bell - quite literally - as the front door opened and Beth's voice chimed,
"Hello?!"

A grin broke across my face and Aaron smiled broadly; Jack's squeals sounding from the living room as he skidded out to greet Beth at the front door.

"Beth!" He squealed, leaping on her as she closed the door behind her.
"Hi you," She laughed, hugging him tightly. "Melanie," She grinned upon seeing me.

She waved me forward and I hugged her tightly, breathing in her familiar perfume.
"How are you?" She asked with a smile.

"I'm great how're you? Did you have a safe journey?" She nodded her head enthusiastically.

"It was quick," She laughed. "I was asleep the whole time," She confessed. "But I'm glad to be back." She admitted as Aaron approached.

"I'll take your things upstairs." I said, picking up her holdall.

"I'll help!" Jack cheered excitedly, picking her handbag off the floor and running for the stairs.

Chuckling, I followed after him and the pair of us put Beth's things on the bed just as my phone started ringing in my back pocket.

Grinning at the called ID I sat down on the edge of the bed and answered it with,

"Hey Spence."
"Melly," He gushed happily. "How's your evening going so far?" He asked and I frowned at this unusual question.

"Uhm... It's going okay. How's yours going?"

"Eventful I must admit." He laughed and I frowned, getting to my feet and following Jack along the hall to his bedroom.

"Spence are you outside?" I asked, hearing the wind blowing past him on the other line.

"Are you a profiler or psychic?" He questioned and I smirked.

"So you are outside then?" I asked, heading inside my bedroom and laying down on my stomach on my bed.

"Well... I was outside."
"Spencer where are you?" I enquired with a smile, picking at the hem of my blanket.

"If I tell you I'd have to kill you."
"Hmm..." I hummed to myself, trying to think of all the places he could be. "Were you heading home?" I asked.
"Cold."
"Shopping?"
"Colder."

"The BAU?"
"Hmm, warmer."
"Oh, uhm... The cafe around the corner from HQ?"
"Warmer..."
"The metro station by the cafe?"
"Warmer..." I silenced myself thoughtfully.

"Do you give up?" He whispered.

"Spence, why are you whispering?" I asked, surprised. The line went dead and I looked at my phone in confusion; had he lost signal?

Suddenly cold, large hands slid over my eyes and I screamed out as legs straddled my hips.

I flipped onto my back, knocking Spencer off my body at the same time I hit out at his torso, hearing him grunt and groan, still wearing his duffle and his boots.

"Spencer!" I squealed, hitting his arm. "Don't do that to me again!" I gushed as he laughed hysterically. "You could've given me a heart attack!" I insisted.

"And you could've given me a black eye but I still did it." He laughed, wiping at his laughter tears.

"You idiot," I laughed, grabbing him by his tie and pulling him into a sitting position asking him, "What're you doing here so late anyway?"

I slid his duffle over his shoulders and he shrugged out of it while pulling - my beanie that I'd insisted on him keeping - off his head, ruffling his messy long hair.

"Well..."

The Doctor

I was lost in Sherlock when my cell rang. I didn't bother looking at the ID as I answered it.

"This is Reid." I said in a monotone, blinking at the TV.

"Spencer?" A female voice enquired. "It's Beth."

Realisation dawned on me and I hurriedly paused the show.

"Beth, h-hi!" I stuttered in surprise. "H-how are you?" I asked, surprised that she'd called me. Was something wrong?

"I'm great, but I need a favour..." I frowned in confusion.

"Of course, what can I do for you?"
"Well, I'm on my way back to Virginia right now, I reckon I'll get back in an hour or so... But it was to see if you'd babysit Jack with Melanie for me... I'd like to take Aaron out tonight as a surprise. Just to do something nice together before the chaos of Christmas takes over." I refrained from cooing and nodded my head enthusiastically.

"Of course, that's not a problem, I'd love to help," I admitted. "What time should I be at Melanie's for?" I asked.
"Just after dinner would be perfect, Spencer."
"Alright, well, I'll see you then."

*

"Aw!" Melanie cooed. "That is adorable, Beth has the best ideas!" She grinned, clapping her hands. "Does Aaron know?"

"He will now," I nodded and she smiled. "You don't mind babysitting?" I enquired and she gave me a look.

"Are you kidding?" She asked. "Babysitting my favourite kid with my favourite person?" She scoffed. "Of course I don't mind."

"Now you're just trying to drown me in compliments." We both laughed as we left her bedroom and crossed the hall to Jack's.

"Hey little man," Melanie said as we found him sat on his bed with his set of pirate miniatures.
"Spencer!" He thrilled and leapt off the bed, running to me.

"Would you mind if Spencer and I played with you tonight?" Melanie inquired.

"Really?" He gushed and we both nodded our heads. "Wow!" He grinned. "Let's go tell dad!" He squealed, grabbing our hands and dragging us out of his bedroom.

For a little boy, he was certainly strong, and I figured that was because both his older sister and father were FBI agents with some serious training.

Surely that kind of thing was just inherited?

"Dad! Beth! Look who's come to play!" Jack shouted as we got downstairs. Beth and Hotch hurried from the living room and grinned at the excitement on Jack's face.

"Wow," Hotch said, crouching down in front of Jack. "Are you going to have fun tonight?" He asked, tipping Jack's chin. Jack nodded enthusiastically. "Do you mind if Beth and I go out and leave you three to play?" Jack shook his head.

"We're going to dress up as Pirates!" Jack grinned and Hotch laughed.
"And are Melanie and Spencer okay with this?" He asked, looking up at us.

"Sacrifices are allowed to be made every once in a while." Melanie sighed and Hotch laughed again.
"Well, as long as you're sure," He said, getting to his feet. "I appreciate this, both of you." He said as Melanie reached for his coat and passed it to him.

"Just make it worthwhile and have a great time," She said matter-of-factly as Beth shrugged inside her coat too.

"We'll be alright with Captain Jack Sparrow, won't we Captain?" Jack laughed and nodded his head.
"Aye aye me hearties!" He cheered and the pair chuckled.
"Have fun!"

The Daughter

"Melanie you can't be a pirate, you're a girl!" Jack moaned, passing Spencer his second Pirate's hat.

"Uhm, excuse me, girls can be anything they want to be," I argued, the feminist in me shining through. Jack laughed and shook his head no.

"But Captain I'm always your right-hand-man!" I protested.
"Not tonight Mel," He said in a diva-voice, showing me his hand and blinking rapidly as Spencer does.

I chuckled at his expression and he grinned, Spencer laughing too.

"You can be Elizabeth Swan, and Spencer is Will Turner." Jack said, passing Spencer the second sword.

"Well, where's my dress Captain?" I asked, looking at his dressing-up box with an arched eyebrow.

"You're a girl, use one of your own dresses." I gasped and flattened my hand against my chest.

"You're asking me to use one of my dresses to play with?" I gasped and he looked up at me, not getting my joke despite the fact Spencer started chuckling.

"Fine..." I groaned with a smile, leaving his bedroom. I

I walked to the end of the hall where the linen closet was and removed a pale pink bed-sheet, entering my bedroom and crossing to my desk, removing a few safety pins.

"Elizabeth, where are you?!" Jack called loudly and I laughed as I wrapped the sheet around my body, tucking it under my arms and pinning it securely and retrieving my spare pair of pale pink chiffon curtains from my box.

"Coming Captain!" I called as I wrapped one of the curtain's around my shoulders and shook my hair out from the bobble.

"How do I look?" I asked, sweeping inside Jack's bedroom again.

"Wow." Spencer grinned. J

ack had a face-paint set in his hand and had painted a - very floppy, wiggly looking - moustache on Spencer's upper lip; making an obvious attempt to follow his own moustache shadow. He was wearing an eye-patch and a Pirate's hat too, even though the Will Turner in the movies had none of these things.

"Melanie, why are you wearing curtains?" Jack giggled into his hand and I rolled my eyes.
"Captain, this is my dress!" I gasped, twirling around. Jack giggled and shook his head.

"Your dress looks silly." He laughed.
"Well Spencer's moustache looks silly so I think we both lose..." I commented and Spencer looked hurt as Jack giggled hysterically.

*

We played at Pirates for what felt like hours; Jack and Spencer leaping from bed to floor to chair to floor to the sofa to table (maybe just Jack did that part) and all through the house as I chased after them and helped Jack move from one object to the other; helping him fly through the air as he fought Spencer.

"I think Captain Sparrow's getting tired Mr Turner." I commented as Jack yawned while he rested on the kitchen counter. I glanced at the clock and realised it was an hour after his usual bedtime and Aaron would have our guts for garter if he came home and found Jack still awake.

"I agree," Spencer said around a yawn. "I think we should get this Pirate to bed." He nodded his head and pulled his Pirate hat off.

"No, I'm not sleepy yet!" Jack pouted and I shook my head, unpinning my dress while Spencer removed his eye-patch.

"C'mon Captain, let's go. Nanight time." I told him, trying to pull him off the counter.
"No, I'm not tired yet!" He screamed and Spencer stepped forward.

"Come on Captain," He said, turning his back to Jack and pointing to his back. "Hop aboard." He said and Jack's whole demeanour suddenly changed from stroppy sleepy child to excited child in a heartbeat.

"Toast and milk coming your way, Captain." I called after the pair as Spencer carried Jack on his back out of the kitchen.

I yawned sleepily as I poured milk into Jack's Pirate cup and popped the bread into the toaster. I picked the sheet up off the floor and folded it into a small pile with the pins on top, leaving it on the counter before I buttered the toast and took it and the milk upstairs.

By the time I got to Jack's bedroom, Spencer had got him ready for bed and was tucking him in.
"Here you go Captain." I said, setting the snack down on the nightstand.

"Mel..." Spencer chuckled. I looked at him and realised he was looking at Jack. I glanced down at my little brother to find him already sound asleep in bed.

Smiling broadly I leaned down and kissed his forehead, pulling the sheets up a little higher before sighing and allowing Spencer to pull me out of the bedroom.

The Doctor

Melanie closed Jack's bedroom door with a sleepy smile and I led the way into her bedroom, flopping down on her mattress with a groan before she joined me and started giggling.

"What?" I smiled, turning to her with questioning eyes. Instead of answering she reached into her nightstand and turned to me with a wipe, taking my face gently into her hands and helping me remove the black face paint from my upper-lip.

"Ah." I sighed, nodding my head in realisation.
"Silly Spence," She smiled, stroking my cheek as she put the wipe on the nightstand, turning back to me with a sleepy smile. "You're great with him you know." She told me matter-of-factly.

"You're better." I told her truthfully.
"I've always wanted to be," She shrugged and I nodded. 

My eyes drooped closed and a moment later I felt her lips press against mine. I opened my eyes to find her long lashes casting shadows on her cheeks as she held my face and kissed me sleepily, her lips moving open with mine, her tongue gliding across my teeth.

I watched her the whole time and moaned into her mouth surprisingly as her tongue ran against mine. My eyes fluttered closed as my hands found her hips and pulled her chest to mine on the bed, our tongues keeping our mouths well and truly locked to each other.

"MELANIE SPENCER! MELANIE SPENCER!" We were torn apart by Jack's shrieks and suddenly the little boy ran at full-speed into the bedroom, volleying himself on the bed on top of us.

"LOOK OUTSIDE! LOOK OUTSIDE! IT'S SNOWING! IT'S SNOWING!" He yelled and I winced at his volume and at the fact that one of his feet was sticking into my ribs.

Melanie moaned and rolled onto her back, subsequently making Jack fall onto the mattress between us. She lifted him into her arms and crossed to her window, pulling back her curtains and gasping.

"Spence," She smiled, turning to me with bright eyes. "He's not kidding." She said matter-of-factly.

Sighing I pulled myself into a sitting position and crossed the room to Melanie and Jack, looking over Jack's head to the back yard, seeing it covered in a thick layer of snow as it fell beautifully in thick puffs from the sky.

"Wow," I said in awe. "It's beautiful." I remarked, nodding my head.
"Can we build a snowman?" Jack asked desperately. "Please, please, please, please?" He begged rapidly and I looked at Melanie. She was looking at me with dark eyes and arched an eyebrow at Jack as he turned to her, blinking his eyes rapidly
.
"You can go out and play but you're not building a snowman. Not tonight anyway. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe. But it's late Jack, dad will be angry if you're not in bed when he gets home." She explained and Jack squealed in excitement, throwing his arms around Melanie's neck before wriggling out of her arms and running from the room yelling,

"Thanks, Melanie you're the best big sister ever!"

She chuckled and ran her hands over her face, groaning.

"Just when we thought we were off the hook." I chuckled, wrapping my arms around her waist and resting my chin on her shoulder.

"Spence he's relentless." She laughed, turning her face into my hair as she wrapped her arms under my own around my torso.

"He's excited because Saint Nick's coming next week."
"At this rate, everyone will be too tired to go anywhere next week." She joked and I chuckled, turning my face to hers and kissing her cheek.

"You said a short play, so it'll be a short play." I shrugged, pulling back and reaching for my coat on the back of the armchair.

The Daughter

I wrapped Jack up tightly in two jumpers and a coat, a hat, two scarves, three pairs of socks, two pairs of gloves and a pair of wellington boots. 

I then gave Spencer his battered hoodie to put on beneath his coat and wrapped one of my scarves over his own and yanked his hat down over his head thoroughly.

I gave him a pair of gloves to put on under his own and watched from the back door as he and Jack ran out into the back garden, making a dive for the small slope upwards, Jack doing cartwheels with excitement whereas Spencer just flopped onto the snow and rolled over, spreading his arms and legs in a snow-Angel.

I watched from the doorway like Spencer had insisted, with my arms folded and a grin spread across my face as I watched the two boys I loved most play together elatedly.

What Spencer did, Jack did with twice as much excitement and enthusiasm; completely drawn in by Spencer's every move. They threw snowballs at each other and made snow Angels.

"C'mon Captain!" I called, shivering in the doorway and rubbing my arms, watching the snowflakes begin to flutter down again. "Let's get you inside!" I called and Jack pouted.

"Mel!" He moaned before yawning loudly. Spencer roared and ran at him, snatching him around the waist and spinning him around in a massive circle. 

The three of us all laughed together and Spencer made a run for the house, slipping on the snow just before he reached the back patio. The pair fell to the snow and Jack rolled about hysterically.

"Are you okay?!" I called and Spencer laughed, nodding his head while Jack got to his feet and made a run for me. I squealed and winced as he threw his freezing and snow-covered arms around my legs which were only clothed in thin leggings.

"Jack!" I moaned, yanking his hat off and ruffling his hair. "Take those boots off and get upstairs!" I laughed, sitting him down on a chair by the back door and yanking his boots off.

He laughed hysterically at his prank as he ran out of the conservatory and through the kitchen to the hallway.

I turned back to Spencer, shaking my head as he climbed to his feet and shook the snow from him.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked and he nodded his red-frozen face with a bright smile.

"It makes me young again." He laughed as I pulled the back door closed behind him, twisting the lock and reaching up to kiss him lightly on the lips.

"God, you're cold." I told him and he laughed.

"Yeah, tell me about it," I reached up and pulled his hat off, shaking it off and setting it down on the table. "I'm fine, you head upstairs and make sure Jack's in bed." He said and I arched an eyebrow.

"You sure?" He nodded his head as he pulled his gloves off and I smiled, kissing the tip of his freezing nose before heading through to the hallway where I found a trail of Jack's clothes leading his way upstairs.

Chuckling I collected the cold and damp clothes, setting them on the radiator at the top of the stairs before pushing inside his room silently, finding him sitting up on the bed munching on his now cold toast.

I popped to the bathroom and began running a bath before heading back through to Jack's bedroom where he was just finishing his snack.

"Okay, you think you're sleepy enough to actually sleep now?" I asked, tucking him down as he yawned while nodding his head enthusiastically. "Alright, nanight little man," I smiled, leaning down to kiss his forehead. "Sweet dreams." I tucked the sheets around him and he yawned again.

"Night night," He said around his yawn. I smiled and made my way to the doorway, flicking off the light at the door. "Love you Melanie." His small voice told me and I froze half-way out the door; Spencer making his way along the hallway with a sleepy smile.

I turned back to see the small boy lying curled on his side.
"Love you too Jacky." I smiled as I left his bedroom.

The Doctor

"Are you running water?" I whispered as Melanie pulled Jack's bedroom door closed behind her with an emotional smile.

"What?" She whispered, taking my damp outdoor clothes from my arms and setting them on the heater. "Oh yeah," She realised. "I'm running you a bath," She smiled broadly, taking my hand and leading me along to the bathroom as I stared after her in shock.

"You need to thaw out and I don't want you to catch a cold." She explained.
"Mel it's okay..." I smirked, watching as she cut the water and pointed to the fluffy towels on the towel-heater-rail.

"I insist." She smiled, reaching up to kiss my cheek. She left the bathroom and pulled the door closed behind her.

For a moment I stood there, a little unsure of what to do. After a moment I sighed, shaking my head and reached to flick the lock on the door. I peeled out of my freezing clothes and winced as I slid into the warm water.

I tensed at the different temperature before slowly relaxing as the water worked my tense muscles. I laid my head back and sighed, closing my eyes and smiling to myself.

After a while of soaking, I stepped out and pulled the plug, wrapping myself in the fluffy towel and drying off before realising I couldn't exactly put the freezing and slightly damp clothes back on. 

Remembering my go-bag sat at the bottom of the stairs from where I'd put it upon sneaking in earlier, I unlocked the bathroom door and padded along the hall with the towel knotted around my waist; my cheeks blushing at the thought of Melanie catching me sneaking around like this.

Or, worse yet, Hotch and Beth returning home to catch me hurrying upstairs in nothing but a towel.

I blushed deeper as I realised what they'd assume if they returned home to that scene.

I hurried downstairs and searched for my go-bag to no avail; coming up empty. Realising I was in desperate need of Melanie's help I padded back upstairs before Hotch or Beth could return home.

"Melly..." I mumbled questioningly, knocking on her door before entering.
"How was your bath?" She asked, swivelling around on her desk chair to face me with a smile. She was wearing pyjama shorts and a familiar t-shirt which was far too big for her. 

Noticing me observing she looked down and smirked, getting to her feet so I could see the t-shirt better. It totally covered her shorts when she was standing up.

"I hope you don't mind," She blushed and I realised that yes, that t-shirt was mine and that's why it was so familiar. 

"I brought your bag upstairs to heat your clothes for you coming out of the bath," She explained, pointing to the radiator beside her door. I turned and noticed she had my pyjama pants over the heater now too and I smiled broadly; she'd really thought of everything.

"And this t-shirt fell out and I remembered when you'd worn it in Alaska," She laughed and I smirked at the memory despite folding my arms over my bare chest self-consciously. 

"And how you were so cold you had to come to my room." I nodded my head and laughed.

"That's fine, it looks better on you anyway..." I admitted sheepishly before backing to the radiator. 

"I wondered where my bag had gotten to..." I explained awkwardly. "So I'll uhm..." I took my clothes from the radiator and bundled them against my bare chest.

"I'll just er... Go get dressed." I backed against the closed door and choked awkwardly, reaching behind me and opening the door, slipping out backwards and closing the door behind me.

I sighed as I closed the bathroom door and leaned my forehead against it.

How could I ever keep a relationship with a phenomenal woman like Melanie when I couldn't even have a bath in her house without freaking out?

The Daughter

I heard the bathroom door click closed behind him and I sighed, sitting down on the chair again.

Was wearing his shirt too much?

I chewed on my lip and stared into space; remembering his innocently bashful expression as he'd edged curiously into my room wearing nothing but a towel.

He was exactly as I'd expected; strong and toned-looking, but not flashy and muscular in an obvious way. He was Spencer Reid. And that was enough to be flashy about without a six-pack or defined muscles.

We'd been together for two months despite the fact we'd had feelings for each other for far longer. How were we ever meant to progress when neither of us was willing to step up to the plate?

Suddenly my reverie was interrupted by my phone bleeping a text message on the nightstand. I got up to retrieve it and sat cross-legged on my bed.

PG: OMG u have to help me. MASSIVE date with Sam on Tuesday & I have NOTHING to wear. Shopping trip tomorrow? XXX

I smiled broadly and quickly typed a reply.

ME: Name a time and place and I'll be there .xx
PG: AH U RULE! My apartment, 2pm? XXX
ME: Excellent, see u then .xx

I looked up from my phone as Spencer entered the room.

"Everything okay?" He asked, nodding to my phone as he dumped his clothes on-top of his go-bag by the door.

"Uh yeah..." I smiled, plugging my phone back on charge. "Garcia has a date on Tuesday and wants me to help her pick an outfit tomorrow." I chuckled and shook my head and Spencer gave a small smile.

"That's nice." He nodded. He climbed onto the bed and sat awkwardly beside me in his t-shirt and pyjama trousers.

"Spence is something wrong?" I asked in a quiet voice. "It's just tonight's been..." I struggled for a word to sum it up. "Perfect," I settled on with a bashful smile, looking down at my bare legs with a sigh. 

"You've been amazing with Jack and I can tell he's loved spending time with you... And I can't help but feel that now you're..." I shrugged. "I don't know... Distancing yourself from me...? Did I do something wrong?"

I could barely look at him from embarrassment.

Did I do something to offend or embarrass him? Was the bath too much? The bag? The clothes? The fact I'm wearing his t-shirt?

"What?" He blurted. "N-n-no of course not, Melly, I... I guess I'm just been stupid..." He mumbled and I looked up from my legs with a small frown only to find him frowning angrily at his own legs crossed on the bed.

"Stupid?" I scoffed and he looked up at me with questioning eyes. "Spence, you're Doctor Spencer Reid, you could never be stupid even if you tried." He scoffed but didn't pursue it and we sat like that for a long moment.

"I guess..." He started after a long pause. "I guess I'm just new to all of this..." He said in a quiet and shy voice.

"I'm not used to going to an incredibly beautiful woman's house and playing dress-up with her little brother and then playing out in the snow. 

"I'm not used to coming inside to have a warm bath and clothes waiting for me. 

"I'm not used to standing in front of a beautiful woman in nothing but a towel. 

"I'm not used to seeing such a beautiful woman wearing my clothes..." He sighed and I forced the lump out of my throat.

"Spence..." I reached forward and took his hands from the blanket, lacing our fingers together and twisting so I was kneeling in front of him on the mattress.

"For what it's worth, I'm not used to this either... This is as foreign to me as it is to you," I explained. "But that doesn't mean I'm not loving every second I spent with you," A smile broad across his face as he looked up at me hopefully.

"We're making this work..." I nodded with a smile which he mirrored effortlessly. 

"And it's working pretty damn fine from where I'm sitting." He grinned at my words and abruptly let go of my hands, reaching for my face and kissing me so passionately I was momentarily taken by surprise.

We simultaneously moaned into the kiss; completely surprised by his sudden movement.

I forced him back on the bed, encouraging him to lay down on the pillows as he held my face with his large pianist hands.

The fact that the house was buzzing silently around us; completely empty if for a soundly sleeping Jack a few rooms down the hall; flashed like a persistently permanent notification in my mind.

We were - more or less - alone in this big old empty house.

But as usual, I was leading the kiss; the movement, the whole process, and I didn't want to push too far. I knew Spencer was a shy guy; I didn't want to lead him into something he wasn't entirely certain of.

So what did he want? How far did he want to go... This time?

I pulled back from his lips; straddling his hips by this point with a hand at either side of his head on the pillow he lay on.

He was still cradling my face and as my eyes opened his were still fluttering closed before they slowly opened to meet mine.

We smiled at each other and his fingers ran a little into my hair, my moan being swallowed up by his lips as he kissed me again, his light brown eyes boring into mine before my lashes fluttered closed.

But of course, all good things must come to an end, and my passionate moments with Spencer never seemed to last long.

This one was no exception as the front door downstairs opened and the sounds of loud giggling and shushing reverberated all the way to us upstairs.

I groaned against Spencer's lips and he sighed, chuckling.

He pulled out of the kiss and let go of my hair to reach across and flick the lamp out on the nightstand as footsteps sounded on the staircase.

I giggled against his lips and he kissed me silent, rolling me onto my side and pulling me close before yanking the blanket and sheets over our bodies.

"Ssh Melly, you're sleeping." He told me sternly, pushing his lips against mine.

"Yes sir." I whispered and his smirk pushed against my cheek as he kissed my ear.

I lay still in his arms, laying tight against his chest as the giggling continued all the way along the hall and stopped right outside the bedroom door. 

I closed my eyes as Aaron pushed the door open; Beth falling inside and giggling, hissing something at him and slapping him on the chest.

"Aaron I could've fallen!" She hissed before giggling.
"Ssh you're going to wake her."
"I think you mean them Aaron!" She laughed. "Spencer's in that bed too." She giggled.

"He better be wearing clothes." I pressed my smile against Spencer's neck and felt the heat radiating from his face as Beth giggled.

"Let's go check on Jack, it's clear they're sleeping. C'mon let's go."

"I have to say goodnight..." Aaron said matter-of-factly, stumbling into the room.

"Aaron, you're drunk, you're going to wake her!" Beth hissed from the doorway.

I practically felt Spencer's eyebrows raise in total panic and his hands flattened entirely against my back, cramming me to his chest as tightly as possible as Aaron staggered around to my side of the bed.

"I'm not going to wake her, this girl could sleep through World War Three." I smiled - that was completely true.

I felt the sheets be gently lowered from my neck and Aaron's weight press down on the bed as he knelt on the mattress. His hand brought my hair from my face and he awkwardly stretched over; pushing a kiss to the side of my forehead.

"Aaron, c'mon what're you doing?" Beth hissed before giggling in the doorway.

"Never," Aaron whispered as he climbed off the bed, replacing the sheets again. "Go to bed without kissing your child goodnight," He said matter-of-factly. "Even if they're asleep; you still kiss your child goodnight."

I smiled tearfully in Spencer's arms as Aaron staggered back out of the room.

"Goodnight Melanie sweetheart." He whispered from the doorway and I bit my tongue so I wouldn't either reply or cry in return.

The Doctor

I let go of a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding as soon as the bedroom door closed behind Aaron and Beth.

"Close call." I breathed as their footsteps retreated down the hall, evidently heading to check on Jack next.

"Melly?" I whispered, rubbing her back when I received no reply.
"Sorry," She whispered in a thick voice, clearing her throat quietly. "I wasn't expecting that." She explained and I smiled against her forehead.

"For what it's worth I think you and Aaron have a beautiful relationship. You're really growing closer." I admired and Mel smiled.

"D'you think so?" She inquired, tilting her head up to look at me in the dark. I nodded my head and brought one of my arms around to brush the hair from her face so I could see her better.

"Speaking from a neutral point of view; you and Aaron have done a complete one-eighty since the explosion in Texas. And, as your boyfriend as well as your coworker," I explained sheepishly.

"I couldn't be happier to see you and Aaron so happy." Melanie smiled up at me and I could see her eyes twinkling with her tears in the darkness.

She pulled herself closer to me for a moment before tilting her head back, cupping my cheek and pressing a deep kiss against my lips.

She pulled back and smiled at me; that was it. Just a simple kiss.

Sometimes, those were the best ones.

The Daughter

The following afternoon I took Spencer home, kissing him goodbye outside his apartment before watching him disappear inside his building.

Afterwards, I drove to Garcia's and picked her up outside her apartment.
"Oh my giddy god," She squealed as she buckled herself into shotgun. "I'm so so nervy Mel, you have to help me." She declared and I chuckled.

"Me?" I enquired. "Are you sure you have the right agent? Because from where I'm sitting I think you have me confused with someone else."

"Are you joking?" She scoffed. "No, I have the right agent. You managed to woo Spencer Reid into an actual living relationship and have been going solid for months. 

"Don't you realise how truly impossible that is? You've done the impossible, you've proven the unprovable, you're God." She stated and I laughed.

"Okay, I get the point Garci," We pulled into the shopping centre's car park and I parked as near to the entrance as possible; knowing Garcia wasn't going here to not buy anything. 

"But more to my point; why have you brought me of all people on a shopping trip? Have you seen the clothes I wear?" She nodded enthusiastically as I hung my permit in the window and climbed out of the car.

"Yes, you are significantly more fashionable than Spencer and Hotch, and considering those are the men you surround yourself with in life, I have come to the conclusion that you must have a strong understanding of fashion to wear the clothes you do and not get sucked into the vacuum that is the fashion of your father and boyfriend." I rolled my eyes at her dramatic emphasis as usual and slung my bag over my shoulder.

"Garcia, really, what I wear isn't all that fantastic," I explained, gesturing to my plain tight-jeans, duffle coat, ankle boots outfit. 

"I'm flattered you've come to me for help but I just don't know what I can do exactly. I think your fashion and outfits are perfect as they are." Garcia cooed and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, bringing me close and squeezing.

"Okay," She sighed emphatically. "I give in, you're an agent, an FBI Profiler and you're damn good at what you do, I told him it wouldn't work."

Immediately alarm bells began ringing in my mind and I froze in the middle of the shopping complex, turning to Garcia with narrowed and questioning eyes.

"What're you talking about Garcia...?" I demanded and she laughed.
"Spencer explained to me how he's taking you to Vegas after Christmas at the end of the week," I gulped. Of course he did. 

"And he suggested that we maybe talk about any questions you may have about his mom." I frowned in confusion.

"Any questions I have about his mom I'll ask him. I don't understand why he'd send you to do the work I'm only going to make him do later." I shook my head and she shrugged.

"He seems to think that you're going to want to grill me on Diana's condition." She stated and I frowned. Of course. Of course, Spencer would think that.

"That's so typical of Spencer," I sighed. "I already know about Diana's condition," I explained, turning and beginning to slowly walk through the centre again. 

"I studied Schizophrenia before I joined the FBI. It was a massive part of my course at University. I know a lot of what there is to know about the condition, and I know about Diana," I sighed and she nodded.

"I can't believe he really thought I'd be too scared to ask him anything."

"He just thought it'd be easier for you to talk to me about it than himself. He didn't want you to think that you'd be hurting his feelings. He felt that maybe you'd be more likely to let loose on me than spare anything from him." I smiled and shook my head, pushing the lump out of my throat with an emphatic sigh.

"And," She sang, looping her arm through mine. "I thought now would be a good time to talk to you about your wonderful relationship with our mighty Reid." I rolled my eyes and looked down at her with pursed lips.

"What about it?" I asked.
"Well... You guys have been getting pretty close lately..."
"We've been together for a couple of months now, Garci, of course, we're getting close."
"So you're admitting that you've slept together?"
"WHAT?!" I choked, stopping outside a designer boutique.

"You mean you haven't?" She gasped in surprise.
"Penelope," I said in a stern tone. "You cannot ask me things like that when we're in the middle of the shopping centre." I explained strictly.

"Oh come off it you want to talk about it." She scoffed.
"No, I don't." I said matter-of-factly.
"You really mean to tell me you haven't slept together yet?"

"Why is that such a big deal?" I snapped defensively, folding my arms.
"It's been two months, Mel," She said softly. "You're both adults... You're practically made for each other... I don't see why not."

"Why not?" I scoffed. "Maybe because Spencer almost dies of bashfulness anytime we so much as kiss! And also because anytime we do get to the possibility of even making out, someone interrupts. Whether it's work with another case or Aaron or Beth at home or even Jack. Something always interrupts."

"Now you're just making excuses. You always make time. And Vegas is your time."
"No, Vegas is Diana's time, I'm not taking time away from her with Spencer just so we can have sex." I snapped. Garcia sighed.

"Do you want to go there with Spencer?" She asked and I rolled my eyes. "Well then, I don't see why you're not making the effort."
"I'm trying, I just don't think he's all that interested." She scoffed and shook her head, stepping forward and taking my hand.

"Believe me doll face, he's interested, let's go." She turned me around and marched me into the boutique we'd stopped outside.

For a moment I didn't understand why we were entering the designer shop, but then my eyes fell on the lacy underwear and the fancy undergarments and I almost-groaned. No way could she be serious?!

"Good afternoon ladies, how may I help you?" A man wearing a grey suit approached us and I turned to Garcia with wide eyes.

"Vegas." She said, pushing me forwards in encouragement.

*

That night I returned home with my arms full of bags, most of which I hadn't authorised the purchase of.

"Good day?" Beth chuckled as she helped me through the front door.
"You could say that..." I nodded a little apprehensively. "There's something I'd like to talk to you both about..." I said anxiously chewing on my lip.

Beth looked from me to Aaron in the kitchen doorway and I laughed. 

"Don't worry it's nothing too serious. I'll throw these in my room and be right down," I explained, hurrying upstairs with my bags.

A few moments later I rejoined Aaron and Beth in the kitchen with a smile, thanking Beth for the cup of tea she passed me.

"Okay, so, I'm so excited for Christmas in a few days, as you both know... But, unfortunately, I won't be spending the day after Christmas with you," I took a deep breath. "Spencer's asked me to go to Vegas with him to visit his mum." The pair shared a look and Beth grinned at me excitedly.

"That's a wonderful idea!" She gushed and threw her arms around me. "Obviously you're going?" She asked and I nodded my head.

"If it's alright with you both?" I inquired, turning to look at Aaron who was watching me carefully.
"Are you sure about this?" He asked and I nodded my head.

"Spencer knows you," I laughed. "A little too well for a boyfriend-father relationship," I chuckled. "And he gets along great with Beth," I explained. "But I've never met his mum. I think Boxing Day is the perfect opportunity to do so." I nodded my head enthusiastically and Aaron smiled broadly at me, making relief flow through me in waves.

"If you're certain it's what you'd like to do, then, of course, that's fine with me." He nodded, hugging me tightly.

"Thank you so much," I smiled. "This really means a lot and I appreciate your support," I explained. "The both of you." I nodded at Beth and she smiled emotionally, wrapping her arm around Aaron's waist as he wrapped his around our shoulders.

"My beautiful girls." He said, kissing our heads one after the other.

*

For the rest of the week, I only spoke to Spencer on the phone. I knew he was spending a lot of time helping Morgan finish renovating an apartment for his deadline, and I was taking the time off work to bond with Jack and go shopping with Beth.

The week went by pretty quickly, and before I knew it, it was Christmas Eve.

"Melanie, Melanie, Melanie, Melanie!" Jack's voice awoke me and I was thrown around on the bed as he jumped up and down on the mattress.

"Jack!" I groaned, trying to hit him with my pillow.

"It's Christmas Eve, it's Christmas Eve!" He squealed excitedly. I groaned and rolled onto my stomach, burying my face into the mattress and yanking my pillow over my head.

"Wake up, wake up!" He squealed, dropping down on the mattress and shoving me roughly.

"I'm awake!" I cried, jumping up and frightening him half to death. He ran out of the room squealing and I laughed as I climbed off the bed, yanking on Spencer's hoodie which was laid over my armchair.

I pulled my hair back as I left the bedroom, realising that Spencer's hoodie held no reminder of Spencer - besides the obvious - because I'd worn it so many times. I smiled to myself as I realised this.

"Good morning," Beth chuckled upon seeing my expression as I entered the kitchen. "We tried to stop him waking you." She explained, nodding to Jack. I smirked and climbed onto the stool at the breakfast bar, ruffling Jack's hair as I did so.

"How did you sleep?" Aaron asked, kissing my head as he set a cup of coffee down in front of me.

"Good," I nodded enthusiastically. "Just not long enough thanks to Jack." I joked, pushing his shoulder playfully. He turned to me and stuck his tongue out.

"You know what today is don't you Jack?" Beth smiled while the pair of us ate cereal at the breakfast bar with Beth and Aaron watching us.

"Yes," Jack nodded. "It's Christmas Eve." He grinned.
"And...?" She prodded. Jack looked at me questioningly and I shrugged blankly.

"It's the day we visit Father Christmas." She grinned.
"Really?!" Jack gasped and I refrained from rolling my eyes.
"If you ask nicely I'm sure-" Beth was cut off by Aaron's mobile phone ringing on the counter behind him.

Everybody stopped and turned to stare at the device in disgust.

"Not today Aaron, please not today. It's Christmas Eve." Beth said in a pleading tone. Aaron sighed and answered the phone as he left the kitchen.

I looked down at Jack as he frowned sadly into his cereal while Beth stood in the doorway looking after Aaron.

"I tell you what," I began, making them turn to me with hopeful eyes. "Why don't Beth and I take you to see Father Christmas?" I suggested. 

"Because I know for a fact Beth still has to get someone special a little something special..." I grinned, winking at her and making her give a small laugh. 

"And that way I'll get to visit Santa too." Jack laughed and threw his arms around me excitedly.

"Thank you." Beth mouthed and I smiled, shaking my head as I hugged Jack in return. Beth sighed emphatically and dragged herself out of the room after Aaron.

The Doctor

"Please, there better be a perfect explanation as to why I'm here on Christmas Eve, the day after we've finished this damn house, hours before I leave." I snapped at Morgan, entering the apartment we'd finished renovating the night before.

"Kid," Morgan chuckled, clamping a hand on my shoulder and turning me back out the door. "You're here so we can go shopping." He chuckled.
"What?" I blurted in confusion. "Did you just say shopping?"

"Yes pretty-boy," He laughed, locking the door behind him and pushing me for the parking lot. "We're going shopping for pretty-girl."

I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him with a frown.
"How do you know I don't already have something for her?" I snapped defensively.
"Well do you?" I blushed and looked down at my feet. "Exactly, so let's go."

*

The shopping mall on Christmas Eve was an absolute nightmare, and I cursed Morgan from head to toe for dragging me here. How was he to know I didn't have a present for Melanie? As far as everybody was concerned; I had that sorted.

"Okay, so what does she like?" He asked as we made our way through the ocean of people. I looked over at him with questioning eyes. "C'mon kid, really?" He chuckled.

"Well, what d'you mean? Narrow it down Morgan." I snapped irritatedly.
"You're her boyfriend, Reid. You know her better than anyone."
"You should be asking Jack." I mumbled; he was the one who knew Melanie best.

"You mean to say you've been dating for two months and you don't know the things she likes?" He asked me curiously, stopping in the middle of the massive sea. I shrugged at him; what did he mean by that?

Morgan sighed and cast his eyes around at the shops, squinting and focusing on somewhere behind me before chuckling and shaking his head in awe.

"Look kid, there's your girl," He scoffed, pointing behind me and turning me around with my shoulders. I turned in confusion, my eyes narrowed before I spotted her. She would always be easy to find in my eyes; I could pick her out from a crowd of people; like now, it was so easy to find her.

Her beautiful brown hair was slicked back in its usual bobble, pulled back from her gorgeous face coated in the thinnest layers of her usual makeup.

She was laughing at something and covering her mouth with one hand while the other was holding onto someone I couldn't see because of the crowds. She had on her long black duffle coat and I smiled broader at how happy and effortlessly beautiful she looked.

"Alright kid," Morgan chuckled, clamping his hands down on my shoulders. "Go spend your last few hours here with your girl," He sighed. "You can sort something when you get to Vegas." I smiled and thanked him without turning back to face him.

The Daughter

The shopping centre was packed to capacity, and Beth was lost amongst the shoppers while Jack and I waited in the endless queue outside of Santa's grotto. We'd only been waiting ten minutes when suddenly a hand wrapped around my waist and Spencer appeared at my side, all wrapped up and cosy.

"Spence!" I cheered, throwing my arms around him in surprise. Jack's hand slid to my leg and I smiled in pride. I'd told him not to let go of me for a second in the busy crowd, and it would seem he was taking that literally.

"What're you doing here?" I asked, pulling back and re-taking Jack's hand.

"Morgan had some last-minute shopping to do," He explained. "He needed my help before I leave." I nodded my head.

"You all set?" I asked as we moved a little up the line.
"Yep," He nodded. "What about you little guy? You ready for Father Christmas?" Spencer asked, ruffling Jack's hat, making it slide over his eyes. He frowned and fixed it with a grunt, craning his head all the way back to see Spencer a little better.

"Beth has to get Rudolph a carrot," He said. "But I've already wrapped all my presents." He grinned and Spencer stomped his foot dramatically.

"You're more prepared than I am!" He exclaimed. "I've still to do my wrapping." He claimed.
"Melanie wrapped your present last night." Jack giggled and my jaw dropped.

"Jack!" I gasped.
"She got three paper-cuts doing it." He laughed and I hurried to cover his mouth with my hand.

"Really he's just kidding." I laughed bashfully. Spencer narrowed his eyes curiously and removed my hand from Jack's mouth, taking it in his own and observing it lightly. I bit my lip and averted my eyes as he counted three paper-cuts.

"Hmm..." Spencer hummed. "I count three paper-cuts," He said matter-of-factly, lacing his fingers through mine and dropping them by his side. "But I s'pose those can happen anywhere..." He reasoned and I smiled bashfully.

"Are you going to see your mommy today?" Jack asked Spencer after a while of waiting in the queue.

"I am indeed." Spencer grinned.
"Why does she live so far away?" He asked, shifting his weight and sighing as he craned his neck up to Spencer.
"Well, she's always lived in Las Vegas," Spencer shrugged. "And this is where I have to work." He explained simply.

"I miss my mommy," Jack said simply and Spencer and I looked at each other with widened eyes. "But it's good having Mel here." He grinned, throwing both arms around my waist. I laughed and ruffled his head gently, trying to push the lump out of my throat.

"And it's good being here with you, little guy." I said emotionally. Jack grinned up at me and my heart swelled.

I reached down and pulled his hat off his head. He pulled a funny face at me as I fixed his hair and unzipped his jacket.

"Okay mom, help me too." Spencer joked as I finished fixing Jack. I laughed and sighed, Jack giggling as I reached up to Spencer, standing on my tip-toes as I pulled his hat off and fixed his hair next.

"Sorted?" I asked my two favourite boys, to which they both nodded enthusiastically. Laughing, I put their hats in my satchel and moved up the line.

"How long have you been waiting?" Spencer asked.

"Only about half an hour." I rolled my eyes and Spencer sighed.
"I s'pose it's Christmas Eve madness." He reasoned.

"But it's Father Christmas," Jack pouted. "Why are people taking so long?" He asked and I shrugged at the little boy.
"Maybe because they're making sure he has all the things on their lists." I suggested.
"But that's silly. If they've already written to him then of course he'll have everything on their lists." Jack laughed and rolled his eyes dramatically.

"So tell me, Spence," I began after a while. "What's Winter like in Vegas? Should I pack my thermals?" I asked and he smirked.
"Most definitely," He nodded. "It's not quite Alaska, but it'll be cold compared to what you're used to."
"I'm British remember," I told him. "I'm used to the cold." I shrugged matter-of-factly and Spencer nodded.

"Yes, that does make sense why you were totally calm in Alaska while I was frozen half to death."
"That's because you were the only one who didn't pack thermals." I reasoned and he frowned displeased.

*

By the time the hour mark arrived, we were finally nearing the front of the queue.

"Alright, coats off!" I announced, helping Jack out of his coat. I straightened his jumper, crouching down to do so. I fixed his hair again and smiled broadly at him and he grinned back, leaning forward and kissing my cheek.

"Thanks Mel." He said happily and I laughed, climbing to my feet and refraining from ruffling his hair again.

I loosened my coat buttons and Spencer turned to me, gesturing for me to turn round. I blushed scarlet as he helped me out of my coat and folded it over his arm, taking Jack's out of my hands and folding it over my coat.

"I'll take that too." He said, and pulled my satchel off my shoulder, putting it over his own.
"You Angel." I smiled, stretching up and kissing his cheek.

"Next family please!" A Santa-ish voice boomed from inside the grotto.

"What's your name, little guy?" One of Santa's helpers came out of the grotto and crouched down in front of Jack.

"I'm Jack." He said shyly, taking my hand again.
"Alright then Jack, are you ready to see Father Christmas?"

Jack nodded his head enthusiastically and the helper laughed, getting back to her feet. 

"Let's go then!" She grinned enthusiastically, leading the way inside the grotto.

I turned to make sure Spencer was following and kept from giggling as he ducked down under the doorway in order to get inside the grotto.

"Ho-ho-hello," A Father-Christmas-ish man was sat on a throne in front of a fake coal fire and Jack gasped in awe as he took in his authentic surroundings. 

The place yelled 'budget' to me, but obviously, I refrained from saying that and played along for Jack's sake.

"Happy Christmas Eve Jack, come sit on Santa's knee," The man continued, patting his lap. Jack looked up at me with questioning eyes and I nodded enthusiastically with an encouraging smile. He smiled broadly at Santa and hurried forward, clambering up onto the man's knee.

"And so what would you like for Christmas Jack?" He asked.
"A skateboard," Jack grinned excitedly and I smiled up at Spencer who was stood just behind me smiling at Jack.

He turned to me and put a hand on my waist, the pair of us turning back to Jack.

"And a real camera." He said.
"A real camera?" Santa gasped. "What is a boy such as yourself wanting a camera for then Jack?" Santa asked.

"I want to take lots of pictures so that when Dad and Melanie are at work they can take them with them to make them smile when they're catching the bad guys." I cooed and covered my mouth emotionally, pushing the lump out of my throat.

Spencer squeezed my hip and I leaned back against him for support, thrilled that he was here with us.

"Well Jack, have you been a good boy?" Santa asked. I nodded my head as Jack did the same and I laughed under my breath at the coincidence. 

"Good, because only good boys get good things." Santa explained, reaching into the box beside him and producing a small gift bag.

"Thank you, Santa." Jack said excitedly as he accepted the gift bag, throwing his arms around Santa and receiving a loud chuckle in return.

"Would you like a family picture now?" Santa's helper asked and Jack squealed with excitement.

"Yay Melanie, yay!" Jack cheered, patting Santa's knee beside him. I laughed and sighed, nodding my head and approaching Jack, crouching down next to Santa and Jack.

"And what about Dad? Do you want in the picture too?" The helper asked, turning to Spencer.

Spencer's eyes flew wide and his mouth parted in surprise, heat rising to his cheeks as I blushed furiously and stared down at the floor.

"He's not my dad," Jack giggled from beside me, handling the situation far better than Spencer and I. "That's Spencer, my sister's boyfriend." He laughed, patting the top of my head. I giggled and caught his hand, holding it in mine happily.

"Oh," The helper laughed bashfully. "Silly me," She scoffed. "I'm always getting things mixed up." She said as she retrieved her camera from the side of the mantle.

"I think it's about time Santa got a new little helper." Santa chuckled jokingly and I smiled at the man before turning to the helper, my cheeks still burning furiously.

The Doctor

Melanie and Jack held hands as we left the grotto; our cheeks still blazing.

"Beth!" Jack cheered as soon as we left out the back of the grotto. He let go of Melanie's hand and ran to Beth who was carrying a few bags.

"Hey, big guy!" She laughed, hugging him tightly. "Sorry I couldn't be there," She sighed sadly. "I guess I just missed you." I passed Melanie her coat and she thanked me quietly, shrugging inside of it and wrapping her satchel back around her.

"It's okay, Spencer came in too!" Jack grinned, pointing behind him to Melanie and I.

"Spencer!" Beth grinned, getting to her feet again and approaching Melanie and I with Jack and her bags.

"I thought you would've been leaving for Vegas by now." She said as she hugged me briefly.
"Actually..." I said, glancing at my watch. "I better be going." I sighed, wanting to do anything but leave Melanie.

"Well we'll take you home, we're heading now anyway." Beth grinned and I nodded as Melanie took my hand again.

"Thank you." She whispered to me as we followed Jack and Beth out of the shopping centre.
"What for?" I asked, turning to her questioningly. She shrugged and smiled, leaning into me closer.

"For being with us today," She shrugged. "It was good to have you there. I enjoyed it." She explained and I smiled, leaning forward and kissing her forehead.
"I had fun too." I reasoned truthfully.

Jack was squashed in between Melanie and I in the back of the car; insisting that we all sit together and sing Christmas carols as Beth drove upfront. 

It was actually fun to be with them, to experience a family's version of Christmas for a change rather than rushing from here to there during the Christmas period.

"Thank you for the ride," I said to Beth as she pulled up outside my apartment.
"Anytime Spencer, I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time with you this afternoon," She apologised. "It was lovely to see you," She smiled, turning in her seat. 

"Thank you for being with Melanie and Jack, that means a lot to me," I shook my head and scoffed. "Have a great time with your mom, and I know you'll look after Mel for us." She laughed and I nodded my head.

"Of course," I said enthusiastically. "I'm sure it'll be the other way around," I joked and everyone chuckled. "Have a great Christmas," I said, awkwardly patting Beth's shoulder over the back of the chair before turning to Jack. "And I hope Father Christmas is good to you little guy." I ruffled his hair and he laughed, throwing his arms around me.

"I've been a good boy!" He exclaimed and I laughed.
"Of course you have. See you all soon." I said, awkwardly climbing out the back of the car.

As I walked around to the sidewalk, Mel was already there waiting at her door.

"Have a safe journey," She said with a smile, stepping to me. "And thanks again for being there today, it was great having you there."

"Thanks for letting me be a part of it," I reasoned. "And for what it's worth, I hope Father Christmas is good to you too." She laughed and shook her head.
"I'm sure Jack would say I haven't been as good as him this year." I shrugged my shoulders.

"You've been pretty good, to me anyway." She smiled and stepped forward and stretched up, pushing her lips to mine.

"I'll see you in two days." She said and I grinned, taking a step back towards my door.

"Can't wait."

The Daughter

"I never thought he'd fall asleep." Aaron chuckled as he re-entered the living room to find Beth and I beginning to remove the presents from where they'd been locked in the utility room.

"Wow." He gasped and we laughed.
"Yeah, let's just say there's enough here to last him a lifetime." Beth joked.
"If he wants to spend the rest of his life as a Pirate that is." I joked.

For the rest of the night, the three of us decorated the living room; Aaron drawing the short straw and biting into the end of the carrot Jack had left for Rudolph. I got the long straw and got to eat two of the three cookies, and Beth drank the cup of milk.

"Hold on," I paused, halting the exhausted pair before they were able to head upstairs to bed. "Do we have any flour?" I asked and the pair frowned.

"Flour?" Aaron asked and I nodded.
"I'm sure there's some in the cupboard, why?" Beth asked and I grinned, hurrying into the kitchen and retrieving the flour from the cupboard.

I gestured for them to follow me back inside the living room and I got Aaron's boots from the front door, stepping inside of them and standing in front of the fire. 

I sprinkled flour around the boots and walked from the fire to the tree, to the side-table where the snacks had been left and then back to the fire again. 

I stepped out of the boots and gathered them in my arms, precariously leaving the living room where Aaron and Beth stood in awe.

"Melanie..." Aaron gasped in awe. "You're a genius." He claimed, kissing my forehead with a smile.

"What can I say?" I shrugged jokingly. "Spencer's brain is rubbing off on me."

*

"Melanie," A small voice whispered me awake, small hands gently pushing me. "Melanie, wake up, Santa's here." I sighed and rolled over towards the voice, cracking one eye open to peer at the clock on my nightstand. It was three in the morning and I'd been asleep for half an hour.

"Jack," I said in a sleep-thick voice while I rubbed my eye. "You should get back to bed, Santa won't leave any presents if he hears you out of bed."
"But I'm scared." He said in a quiet voice and I frowned, looking at him properly in the darkness.

There he was, stood at the side of my bed with a petted lip looking all sleepy and apprehensive.

"Aw, buddy c'mere." I pulled my duvet back and beckoned him forward. A moment later he was huddled to me sleepily. 

It didn't take a genius to work out that my little brother was half-way between a nightmare and awake. 

Knowing that it wouldn't be fair to have him tired on Christmas Day, I hugged him securely in my arms until we both fell back asleep.

*
"Melanie..." I sighed and rolled over towards the voice, cracking my eyes open to see Jack's innocent expression smiling sleepily at me.

"Good morning," I whispered and he grinned at me excitedly.

"It's Christmas." He said in the cutest voice ever, his expression completely innocent and Angelic. I grinned and reached forward, pulling him into my arms for a massive cuddle.

"Let's go wake dad." I said, rolling onto the edge of the bed, pulling Jack with me.

He laughed and laced our hands together as we both padded quietly along the hall, me pulling Spencer's hoodie over my head as usual.

"Dad..." Jack's quiet voice broke the sound of the snores in Aaron's bedroom. "Dad wake up..." Jack said, gently pushing Aaron as I stood in the doorway, waiting with a smile.

"Oh," Aaron groaned awake. "Merry Christmas buddy." He chuckled sleepily in a thick voice as Beth awoke beside him and sat up on the bed with a smile.

"Has Santa been?" She asked sleepily and Jack shrugged.

"Why don't you and Mel go check?" Aaron asked. "We'll be down in a sec." Jack nodded his head and walked to me, taking my hand again and leading me out of the room.

Together we quietly crept downstairs and Jack peered around the living room doorway, gasping.

"Mel look!" He gasped, pointing to the footprints. I turned to see Aaron and Beth on the stairs, Aaron's phone recording the whole thing.

"Oh my gosh, Jack!" I gasped in return.
"Are those Santa's footprints?" He asked me and I shrugged.
"I think they might be." I gasped as we edged into the room.

"Wow..." His eyes took in the stacks of presents and the footprints and the eaten snacks. "This is amazing..." He gasped dramatically and I chuckled.

"Why don't you open your presents?" I asked, pulling open the curtains.
"I can't do it all on my own..." He shrugged emphatically and I laughed. "Can you help me?" I turned with a smile and nodded my head.

Aaron and Beth laughed in awe from the sofa as Jack and I tore into his presents, gasping and cheering and laughing at every one of his gifts. 

He even cried when he found the camera and told Aaron he'd take pictures every day so that next Christmas if he got called away again, he could take them with him to make him smile.

I think it's fair to say we all shared a tear or two when Jack said that.

"Alright, now it's Melanie's turn!" Beth cheered as Aaron cut the video once Jack had opened all of his presents.

"My turn?" I laughed, helping Aaron pile all the used wrapping paper into trash bags.

"Yeah, Santa's visited you too Mel." He joked sarcastically and I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"Really?" I questioned and he nodded as he dumped the full trash bags behind the sofa.

"Yeah, Mel look!" Jack said excitedly from the tree. I twisted my head to see where he was pointing to and found a few gifts wrapped in different wrapping paper with bows.

"Wow," I chuckled. "Santa really shouldn't have come to me." I said, staring at Aaron and Beth as I said this. They both laughed and Aaron started recording again, much to my dismay.

"I might need some help little guy." I said to Jack as I slid the presents out from under the tree.

"I think you can manage these!" Jack giggled, sitting next to me.

"Well, why don't you sit here anyway?" I asked, patting my lap and he grinned excitedly, clambering on to sit on top of my crossed legs. He moved slightly to the left so Aaron and Beth were still able to see me.

"Okay, you choose which one I should open first." I said, gesturing to the small pile of presents.
"Hmm... This one!" He grinned, picking the only present wrapped in gold paper. This one looked the prettiest and I smiled; I would have chosen that one first too.

"Okay dokay then." I reached for the present and reached for the tiny tag tucked beneath the white bow.

Merry Christmas Melly x

I frowned in confusion at the tag. Only Spencer called me Melly. I peered up at Aaron and Beth suspiciously to find them grinning back at me excitedly. Beth nodded her head enthusiastically and I peered at Jack on my lap who was smiling at me in anticipation.

"Open it then," He giggled and I smiled, untying the bow and setting it alongside the tag carefully. "You take too long!" He sighed and I laughed, tickling his sides as I unwrapped the present.

Inside was a medium-sized black box. I precariously opened it to find a white cushion holding what would look like a mini-pocket-watch on a necklace to anyone else.

But I grinned from ear-to-ear as I recognised it to be Doctor Who's Fob Watch, a tiny miniature on a silver chain.

I carefully lifted it into my palm and turned it around to see that 'a tout a l'heure' had been carved into the back.

I laughed at the memory of Spencer and I discussing foreign languages and how I could only improvise a little French. 'In a little while' seemed fitting enough for us that we tended to joke about it anytime we were separated on a case.

It became our kind of thing in a sense.

As I was turning it back around in my palm I accidentally clicked it open and gasped as I realised it wasn't actually a pocket-watch (or a Fob Watch) at all. It was a locket. And inside was a picture of Spencer and I.

I covered my mouth emotionally as I observed the - extremely embarrassing and - remarkably hilarious picture of Spencer and I which he had taken of us both in Alaska while he'd been wrapped up in - mostly - my clothing right before I'd been held at gun-point.

"Aw Spence." I cooed under my breath and Jack wriggled on my lap.

"That's boring." He whined and I frowned at him, ruffling his hair and sniffing, blinking the tears out of my eyes and rubbing under my eyelids before my tears could fall and only embarrass me in front of my family.

"No, it's not," I said defensively. "It's perfect." I sighed, gently placing the necklace around my neck and fastening it.

"It's even prettier on." Beth sighed, looping her arm through Aaron's.
"You knew about this?" I asked, gently fingering the Fob Watch.

"Spencer showed it to me." She nodded while Aaron shook his head.
"I had no idea," He said, his phone now safely resting on his lap. "It's beautiful." He nodded.
"You should see the picture!" Beth chuckled. I covered it, shaking my head.
"No that's quite alright thanks." I joked as Jack tugged on my sleeve and pointed to the rest of my gifts excitedly.

I had no idea how Spencer had managed to get my gift in the house, but then I realised that he'd probably just given it to Beth at some point to put under the tree. I smiled at the thought of him thinking so far in advance.

Beth and Aaron got me a few humorous print t-shirts and an amazing new gun holster while Jack gave me a mug with
SISTER'S MUGSHOT
printed on the side along with a picture of my face, caught in a face mask coming out of the bathroom with my hair wrapped in a towel; one of the many times Jack had frightened me.

Jack also got me a new watch and a photo collage of all the fun times we'd spent together, and there were a few of us with Spencer which I loved. Once we'd finished opening all of our gifts he then helped me pick out a spot in my bedroom and I hung it up happily before settling on my bed to text Spencer.

The Doctor

I received the file a little after eleven while I was getting ready to go visit my mom. I sat down on the bed and opened the video, grinning as the thumbnail showed a sleepy Melanie in my hoodie - with, surprisingly enough, her hair draped over her shoulders rather than pulled back in a bobble.

"I might need some help little guy." Melanie was saying as I pressed play on the video.

"I think you can manage these!" Jack giggled, as he sat down cross-legged on the floor next to Mel. She patted her lap, smiling down at him and suggested,

"Well, why don't you sit here anyway?" I watched the excitement on Jack's face as he happily bundled himself onto Mel's lap and made himself comfortable.

I could imagine how she smelled as she wrapped her arms around him protectively, keeping him to her chest. She would smell of coffee and toothpaste and sleep, and she'd still be warm and cuddly bundled in my hoodie which now smelled nothing like me and everything like Melanie.

In that moment I would've given anything to have woken up beside her on Christmas morning. I sighed emphatically and rested my chin on my palm, feeling sorry for myself as I watched.

"Okay, you choose which one I should open first." Mel was saying, gesturing to the small pile of presents.

"Hmm... This one!" Jack grinned, picking out my present from the pile. I laughed as Mel, Aaron and Beth did the same. Clearly, Jack had been prepped to choose this one first beforehand.

Mel reached for the present and read the tag. I watched as she paused and frowned in confusion, briefly glancing up at Beth and Aaron before back down to the tag; clearly trying to figure out if they'd nicknamed her Melly or if I'd actually managed to get a present inside her house.

"Open it then," Jack giggled impatiently and a large smile spread across Melanie's face as she began to unravel the present carefully. "You take too long!" Jack sighed and I laughed, he was right. I wanted to know what she thought. Clearly, the tag had thrown her so much she was cautious of opening it.

My heart bet with anticipation and nerves as I watched her open the box and observe the necklace. I wondered if she'd get it, but judging by the gasp and the smile that immediately spread across her face; I realised in a heartbeat that she did.

Of course she did.

We'd watched enough Doctor Who together over the past two months that of course she'd get the reference. And besides; she'd been a big enough fan when I'd met her to begin with.

I watched with relief and tearful eyes as she ever-so-carefully pulled the necklace from the box and observed it in her palm; reading the inscription I'd felt a little wary of getting.

I wasn't sure if it'd be too much.

A tout a l'heure was something we said to each other for good luck when we parted on cases. We'd say it as though it was the only thing willing us back together. It was a little silly, but it was our thing. An original joke on Mel's part. But something we'd both grown accustomed to.

A lone tear rolled down her cheek as she read the inscription and my hand twitched while holding my cell, as though I longed to wipe it from her face.

Upon turning the necklace back over in her palm, it clicked open and she gasped as her eyes fell on the picture of us both. A wonderfully gorgeous laugh fell from her lips and her eyes sparkled with both overwhelming emotion and joy.

"Aw Spence." I heard her quietly coo and frowned as I realised I wasn't entirely sure if she'd said that at all. I paused the video and rewound it back, listening to the words she whispered and smiled as I realised I'd been right.

"That's boring." Jack whined and I laughed while Melanie immediately frowned at him, ruffling his hair and sniffing, blinking rapidly for a few moments as she reached up and rubbed the tears out from under her eyes.

"No it's not," She said defensively to Jack. "It's perfect." I sighed in longing, wishing I was there to hold her and kiss her cheek, blush even as she thanked me.

The video ended on that image; of Melanie covering the necklace with her hand, a thoughtful and beautiful expression written all over her face, her lips turned into a magnificent smile while her eyes sparkled with so many messages I wanted to be there to read myself.

I groaned and set my phone down; running my hands over my face and through my hair.

What was she doing to me?

Just at that moment, my cell bleeped a message and my heart leapt.

MEL: Merry Christmas my Prince! I am never going to take this necklace off, ever, I love it! Thank you so so much Spence! I cannot wait to see you tomorrow. It's going to be great! XX

I grinned at the text and sighed; I couldn't wait for tomorrow. I wanted to see her now.

I didn't bother replying, I just called her instead.

"M-m-merry Christmas." I stuttered as I laid down on the bed, imagining her lying there, twirling the necklace in her hand as she wore my jumper and my favourite smile.

"Merry Christmas to you too you Angel you." I chuckled bashfully and heard her giggle on the other line.

"I'm so glad you like it." I admitted.
"Like it?" She mumbled. "Spence it's perfect, I absolutely adore it. You have no idea how much. Thank you."
"It's my pleasure. I just wish I could've been there when you opened it."
"You'll see me tomorrow. And you'll get to see me when you open your own present." She laughed.

"I hate opening gifts." I groaned. It was my least favourite thing to do. Apart from spending time without Melanie as I was discovering.

"Well, that's because you've never opened gifts with me before. Prepare yourself; it's a whole new experience." We both laughed at her evident sarcasm and I sighed.

"I wish I was there with you right now." I admitted.

"Me too." She whispered. We were both silent for a long time before a door opened on Melanie's line and I recognised Beth's voice talking, even though I wasn't entirely sure what she was saying.

"Okay I'll be right there," Mel said away from the mouthpiece before saying to me, "I have to go," She sighed and I heard the door close again. "Jessica and Uncle Sean are coming over for a family dinner or something," She groaned. 

"I really need you here Spence," She fake cried and I chuckled. "No really, don't laugh I'm being deadly serious, I don't think I can do this without you here. Families and meals aren't my kind of thing." I completely agreed with her on that one, remembering the nightmarish meals from my childhood.

"Just think of tomorrow," I told her. "Tell them you have to get ready or have an early night. They'll understand." There was a silent pause and I heard her scoff at something before she said,

"You're a genius Spencer Reid, don't ever forget that." Now I scoffed.

"Have fun at your family dinner." I joked, preparing to end the call.
"Have fun with your mom. Tell her I said hey."

"I will... See you tomorrow Melly."
"See you tomorrow Spence..." There was a short pause as we both waited for the other to hang up.

A whole forty two seconds later, I pressed 'end-call'.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

170K 4.9K 34
Truth was, it didn't take her admitting that she loved him for him to realize he felt the same. Nor did it take the few months of dating. No, from th...
75.7K 1.5K 22
The Top Gun Naval Fighter Weapons School is where the best of the best train to refine their elite flying skills. Filled with hot-shot pilots and a w...
229K 2.3K 120
Cry, Even better if you beg (Novel) Author: Solche (This is NOT MY WORK ) You can read this as manhwa and search the "Cry, even better if you beg"(in...
1M 54.8K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...