𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒆𝒙 || 𝑳. 𝑳𝒂𝒖𝒇...

By st4rchxser

Y/N L/N was destined for nothing but a life with HYDRA. Created from experimentation, she because one of the... More

𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒙
𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒕
𝟙
𝟚
𝟛
𝟜
𝟝
𝟞
𝟠
𝟡
𝟙𝟘
𝟙𝟙
𝟙𝟚
𝟙𝟛
𝟙𝟜
𝟙𝟝
𝟙𝟞
𝟙𝟟
𝟙𝟠
𝑨𝒈𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒍𝒍 𝑨𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈
𝟙𝟡
𝟚𝟘

𝟟

3.2K 95 51
By st4rchxser

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1960    𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loki stands in a magician's getup in the living room.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for my final trick, I bring you the Cabinet of Mysteries!" He waves his prop wand, but nothing happens. He looks around the room and then whisper-shouts, "Darling, that's your cue."

Y/N hears him and responds, "Did you say, 'Cabinet of Mysteries?'" Loki repeats himself, "Yes, I said, 'The Cabinet of Mysteries!'" He waves his wand again and this time, Y/N wheels out a large cabinet.

Loki's eyes widen at the sight of the oversized cabinet in their living room, "Sweet Valhalla! Darling, do all the other acts in the talent show have such elaborate props?" Y/N gave him a deadpanned look, "Are you kidding? Fred and Linda are building a moat and a fully-functioning portcullis and no one even knows why. Let's keep going."

Loki raised his eyebrows in a 'Are you kidding me' way, but then shrugged, "Yes, yes. Where was I? Um... Watch closely as I, Illusion, Master of Enigma, make my captivating assistant, Glamour, disappear." They both walk to the cabinet and Loki opens the door for Y/N, she steps in, "You really are very dashing," she compliments her husband in his magician's outfit.

He smiles at her, "Mmm, thank you, darling. Fear not, Glamour. For I, Illusion, vow to bring you back exactly as you are." He closes the cabinet door and waves his magic wand, yelling, "Abracadabra!" He opens the door again, revealing that Y/N has disappeared. "Ta-ta!"

After a moment, Y/N re-emerges from a hidden wall in the cabinet and claps for him. Loki rolls his eyes playfully, but then he get concerned, "Yes, um, Y/N, you're not at all worried that the audience might just see through this little charade?"

She laughs at his question, finding it silly to ask, "Well, that's the whole point. In a real magic act, everything is fake." She steps out of the cabinet as Loki changes his clothes back to his normal home attire, "Darling, the talent show fundraiser is the most important event of the season and it's our neighborly duty to participate. Plus, it's our chance to appear as normal as possible while doing so."

He gestures at his Asguardian lounge wear, "Well, I don't think that should be a problem," he says sarcastically. Y/N walks over to him and straightens out his shirt and brushes off some fuzz, she looks up at him with adoring eyes, "This is our home now. I want us to fit in," she laughs softly.

He kisses her head and moves over by the couch, "Oh, darling, we do. We shall. And we're gonna knock their socks off, especially with you wearing this," he holds up a very sparkly one piece outfit, she gives a disapproving look, but laughs, she checks the time on her watch, "Well, I better get going if I'm gonna make the planning committee meeting."

"That's me off as well, actually. There's a gathering of the neighborhood watch at the public library. And after last night's excitement, I want to make sure this town's security is up to snuff." She nods, smiling, "That's a swell idea. You tell those tree branches who's boss." He bends down and kisses her, which she returns the gesture, "Would you look at us? Y/N and Loki, Westview fitter-inners." He changes into more Midgard looking clothes and starts to walk to the door.

She laughs as he walks to the door, heading out, "I'll see you at curtain call," she calls as he closes the door. She looks around the room at the mess they made with their props and costumes, she sighs, what a mess they had made.

She picks up a few things before hearing a static noise from behind her, she sets the things in her hands onto the couch and pulls her hands up defensively, she cautiously turns around to see the TV on. The TV starts making more of a static noise, she holds her stance, red energy glowing from her hands, she walks closer to the TV and it sparks, Y/N takes a step back. She stares at it and it starts to crackle, she hears her name being called from it.

'No this can't be happening', she thinks, the voice calls out again, Y/N panics and mutters a rejection under her breath, "No."

She waves her hands rhythmically and time seems to rewind to when Loki left the house. The door closes and she walks to the kitchen to find something in there to busy her. She spends some time cleaning around, then checks her watch.

She remembers the community meeting and leaves her house, when she sees something in the bushes. She walks over and sees a small helicopter, in color. It's coated with a bright red and gold paint pattern, and only one thought comes to mind, 'Stark'. She picks it up and looks at it more, noticing a small symbol of a sword that she's never seen before.

"Look, it's the star o' the show," Agnes comes up and startles Y/N causing her to drop the helicopter back into the bush, "Agnes. I'm sorry. What did you say?" Agnes ignores her question and changes the subject quickly, "Oh, I brought my pet rabbit. For your magic act."

Y/N tries to shake off her paranoia, "Yes, of course! Thank you, Agnes. We will take good care of him!" Y/N takes the rabbit from Agnes and holds him in her arms, "Señor Scratchy just loves the stage. He played baby Jesus in last year's Christmas pageant!" Agnes states proudly, Y/N just nods and smiles.

Y/N tells Agnes that she is going to put the rabbit inside, and Agnes dismisses her. Y/N returns moments later, ready for the meeting. "Shall we?", she asks her friend and neighbor, Agnes smiles, "Oh, we shall." The pair walk down the sidewalk and Y/N takes one last look back at her bushes.

They walk in comfortable silence until Agnes asks, "So, are you ready to meet Queen Cul de Sac and her Merry Homemakers?" Y/N chuckles, "Agnes, Dottie can't be as bad as you say." Agnes sends Y/N a funny look, "Hmm, well, you'll notice her roses bloom under penalty of death." Y/N scoffs at her friend's remark.

Agnes stops walking and turns to Y/N, "Y/N can I give you a bit of friendly advice?" Y/N looks down at her clothes, a simple top, layered with a sweater, and paired with a pair of pants, "Is it about the way I'm dressed?"

Agnes looks down at Y/N's outfit then back up at her face, "Yes, but it's too late for that. Dottie is the key to everything in this town. Country club memberships, parties, school admissions..." Y/N's ears perk up at the mention of schools, "Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves," she laughs nervously.

Agnes waives off her remark and continues talking, "You get in with Dottie and it'll be smooth sailing from here on out. Just mind your P's and Q's and you're gonna do just fine." Y/N nods, "Or maybe I could just be myself? More or less?", she asks hopefully, but Agnes just laughs, making Y/N frown, "Oh, Y/N, that's good." Y/N chuckles nervously and Agnes continues to laugh.

Nearby, the other women leave Dottie's house. In the distance, Y/N and Agnes both can hear Dottie speaking to the other women, they continue walking towards Dottie's house, "Everybody, hurry up please!", Dottie calls from her front yard.

"Hiya, Dottie! Your roses are divine!" Agnes greets, "Well, thank you," Dottie gives a proud and satisfied look. Agnes gives Y/N a look. They both join the procession of women, both let out a sigh.

The group of women make their way to the community pool, under a cabana. They all take seats, grouped in a circle. After passing out refreshments, they begin their discussion, "The Rotary Club is finishing the stage set-up as we speak," a woman speaks up.

Dottie nods as she puts a single ice cube in her drink, Y/N notices this and copies her behavior. A woman by the name of Beverly adds in, "They've given the gazebo a fresh coat of paint and will be installing the final decorations all through the town square. And if you recognize the antique footlights, it's because they're from my store." Dottie stirs her drink slowly. Y/N copies her again.

"And the chairs?" Dottie asks, uninterested.

"I'm sorry, Dottie. I didn't ask about the chairs..."

"So you better not ask me if you can chair any committees in the future," Dottie partially jokes

Some of the other women giggle. Beverly sits down, her face flushed with embarrassment. Dottie gets up, "The devil's in the details, Bev."

Across the tent, Agnes leans over to Y/N, "That's not the only place he is," Y/N snickers at her comment, but she does so quietly so no one else will hear her. Dottie continues to speak about the event, "As you all know, the talent show is the sole fundraiser for Westview Elementary."

"In the eight years since I founded our little club, this event has gotten bigger and better every season."

Geraldine passes a tray of food to Y/N, "Say, those pants are peachy keen!" Y/N looks down at her pants, remembering what Agnes said, Do you really think so? The other ladies are in skirts. I was worried."

"We only have a few hours until show time, so a little less cross chatter and a little more focus," Dottie says, hearing Geraldine and Y/N talking, the two women become embarrassed and respond with an "Okay."

Dottie nods in satisfaction, "Those little boys and girls are counting on us. All of this is for the children."

The other women speak in unison, "For the children."

"For the children," Y/N chants, a little after, causing her to get some stares from the other women at the meeting, Dottie clears her throat, glaring at Y/N, "So, I want you all to give yourselves a big hand..." Y/N begins clapping, "At the appropriate time, of course. But first let's review event etiquette. Dress code is upscale garden party..."

Geraldine turns to Y/N, "The only reason I didn't clap is because I'm afraid to move." Y/N giggles, "Yeah.."

"I actually don't know what I'm doing here," Geraldine confesses, Y/N agrees with her, "I'm starting to feel that way myself. I'm Y/N."

"I'm, uh... Geraldine," the woman hesitates, but Y/N doesn't notice, "Well hi!" Y/N greets, not noticing Dottie, "And I'm irritated. Tickets for tonight are completely sold out. Now, you can clap," Dottie interrupts Geraldine and Y/N's conversation.

All the women clap until Dottie tells them to stop, and when Dottie tells them to stop clapping, no one hesitates to rebel from her orders.

"Really, how is anybody doing this sober?" Agnes asks aloud, but no one picks up on her comment.

~~~~

Across town, Loki walks into the public library inside, he comes upon a group of men sitting around a table, talking about who knows what.

"Let's say green."

"Yeah."

"I mean, the other side could be dirt."

"Pardon, is this the neighborhood watch meeting?" Loki asks, the men stop their conversation and look up at Loki. "Oh, hiya, Loki. Didn't expect to see you here. This is sort of a "members only" type deal," Norm informs him, Loki gives a sour look, "Ah! Certainly. Right. Well... I'll just stay here and be as quiet as a church mouse till you open up the floor for new business."

Herb, speaks up, "Well, in truth, we were just getting to new business."

"Oh, splendid! Could you tell me how often you rotate security patrols? Do you interface directly with local law enforcement? What are your protocols for threats such as burglary, graffiti, and reckless driving?" Loki racks off questions to the group as he sits down in a chair at the corner of the table, "No, Loki..." Norm starts, "'New business' actually means another round of Danish," Norm says, nodding subtly at Jones, who pulls out another box.

"Raspberry or cheese-filled?"

"Oh, neither for me, thank you." The other men give him strange looks, nobody has ever turned down Danish, Loki uncomfortably laughs, "What I mean to say is that I don't eat food in between meals but at mealtimes. I'm a regular eating machine."

Herb chuckles, "Hey, fellas. Loki here has got a point. Now, listen up. I got some top secret intelligence for you," Loki moves closer to the table in satisfaction that they are finally getting to the important part of the meeting, "Now, you know how Johnson's been braggin' about that treehouse he built for his kids?"

"Yeah," some men reply, "It's a prefab job!" The other men scoff at the news that was just given to them.

"That blockhead can't even swing a hammer," Jones says. Norm adds to the gossip, "I can do you one better. You know those bowling trophies Arthur's always polishing? He bought 'em all at a yard sale in Hackensack."

Herb gasped dramatically, "I knew it. I've never once seen him down at the lanes."

Loki wished to add to the conversation, so he did, "I too have some top secret gossip to share. Norm here's a Communist." The men stare at each other for a moment before bursting out in laughter, "Loki, you're a real cut-up!"

"You know, I always thought you were kind of a square," Norm says, Loki looks at him in confusion, "Me? No, I'm as round as they come." The men laugh again.

Herb turns to Loki, "Hey, care for a swing o' Big Red?"

Herb holds out a glass bottle with some mysterious liquid in it, Loki reluctantly takes it from him, "Ah, well, when in Westview... Cheers!" Loki smiles awkwardly, and takes a gulp of the drink in hand, the taste was bitter, he recognized it, but there was no way it could be.. Asgardian Mead?

"Who knew you were such a funny guy?" Norm asks, his question filled with humor. "And to think you came here all hot and bothered about protocols and nonsense. We actually thought you were serious!" Herb added on.

Herb pats Loki on the back, more harshly than Loki was expecting, causing Loki to down the entire bottle of the mead.

Herb turns back to the group at the table, "He's funny! All right, so, back to this barbeque..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay! Another chapter! 

Expect some more updates this weekend, big things are coming soon ;))

If you're a fan of Taylor Swift, how are you liking her new album?

I love it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.7K 1.3K 40
Mistreated from a young age and sent away in her teens by her parents, she all but disappeared off the face of the Earth. Years of abuse from her new...
188K 6.5K 81
"Did you forget, Ice Pick?" "I'm your trouble and your gladiator. A killer of the fire." "I'm your worst nightmare." ~~@ @ @ ~~ BOOK 3 People change...
73.7K 1.3K 44
From the time she can remember she was trained, beaten, and worked to the breaking point. But when an unknown group saves her and the winter soldier...
273K 7.4K 40
Hydra, an organization founded on the belief that people could not be trusted with their own freedom, had no regard for human life. One day, when a s...