Gideon Drake and the Fire Wit...

By TEZofAllTrades

*AMBYs 2022 Winner* A brand-new story set in J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World of Harry Potter 🧙 Find out how t... More

Chapter One: The Boy Who Died
Chapter Two: The Weaving
Chapter Three: Parting Shot
Chapter Four: The Visitors
Chapter Five: The Painful Truth
Chapter Six: Food for Thought
Chapter Seven: Course Correction
Chapter Eight: Decisions
Chapter Nine: Sweets and Soured
Chapter Ten: Orientation
Chapter Eleven: A Matter of Time
Chapter Twelve: The Unravelling
Chapter Thirteen: Breaking News
Chapter Fourteen: Distant Relatives
Chapter Fifteen: Acceptance
Chapter Sixteen: Back on Track
Chapter Seventeen: Simply Magical
Chapter Eighteen: Home Sweet House
Chapter Nineteen: DADA
Chapter Twenty: Broken Dreams
Chapter Twenty-One: Belonging
Chapter Twenty-Two: Epiphany
Chapter Twenty-Three: Elevation
Chapter Twenty-Four: Fresh Eyes
Chapter Twenty-Five: Seeing Red
Chapter Twenty-Six: Friendly Competition
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Burnt Out
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Wildfire
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Tricks and Treats
Chapter Thirty: Fallout
Chapter Thirty-One: Fighting Fire with Fire
Chapter Thirty-Two: Game On
Chapter Thirty-Three: Bursting Bubbles
Chapter Thirty-Four: Running Scared
Chapter Thirty-Five: Exposed
Chapter Thirty-Six: Losing Grip
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Tea and Sympathy
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Crisis Management
Chapter Forty: Clued-in
Chapter Forty-One: Season's Greetings
Chapter Forty-Two: Gifting and Forgetting
Chapter Forty-Three: Eternal Rest and Relaxation
Chapter Forty-Four: Facing Fear
Chapter Forty-Five: High and Low
Chapter Forty-Six: Hot on the Trail
Chapter Forty-Seven: The Eye of Fire
Chapter Forty-Eight: Unleashed
Chapter Forty-Nine: The Final Pieces
Chapter Fifty: The Home Stretch
Author's Note
Bonus Content: Gideon's Timetables
Bonus Content: Fiery Locations
Bonus Content: Fanart Gallery

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Reprieve

106 12 7
By TEZofAllTrades

'Oh,' said Gideon, 'I didn't realise it was you. Why are you helping me?'

'I'm not helping you,' Alex replied, 'I'm helping my dad. He's had a lot to deal with this week.'

'Well, that's not my fault.'

'Isn't it?'

Gideon sighed and turned away. 'You don't know what you're talking about,' he said.

'I know enough. The rest I can guess. For instance, what happened in here the night it almost burned down.'

Gideon was thrown, but he tried not to let it show and remained silent.

'The guys in my dorm went out late that night,' Alex continued. 'When they got back, they were acting strangely. Since then, they've been different, especially when it comes to you. They haven't been messing with you in class or anything.'

'Is it written somewhere that people are supposed to mess with me? Maybe they got tired of acting like stereotypical bullies?' Gideon retorted.

'No. I think something happened to them that night, right here in this room. The only reason they wouldn't tell me is if they might get themselves or me in trouble. So, what happened? Did they mess with you again? Yeah, I think so.'

Gideon was surprised by Alex's scarily accurate presumption. 'Afraid you missed out on a good time?' he taunted. 'Six against one your kind of odds, are they?'

Alex ignored his provocation. 'They messed with you. So, you used your freaky powers to scare them, but you ended up nearly burning the place down. That's right, isn't it?'

'Why do you care?' Gideon asked.

'I care because I don't want my friends, my dad or anyone else for that matter, getting burnt to a crisp!' Alex snapped.

The memory of Gwendoline's pained face flashed before Gideon's eyes. He glared at Alex and without thinking, responded angrily, 'You want to know what really happened? Want to know what your loser "friends" really did?'

'Try me,' Alex said.

Gideon took a breath and collected himself. 'Forget it,' he said, 'you couldn't handle it. I wouldn't want to burst the perfect little bubble you live in.' He turned away again and focused intently on the fireplace across the room.

There was a knock at the door. 'It's me, Al,' said Mr Grimsby.

'Alohomora,' Alex uttered, and the door opened.

'Sorry to keep you waiting, boys,' said Grimsby. 'The coast is clear now, Gideon. Professor Dandridge is meeting with the Minister, but she sent away the gaggle of reporters and looky-loos. Actually, she made their cameras, notebooks, quills and remote viewers chase them from the castle!'

Gideon made his way across the room without meeting Alex's eyes. He passed by Grimsby and through the door with a simple, 'Thank you,' and carried on to the dungeons. On the way down the stone steps, he worried he had said too much to Grimsby Junior. Would Alex tell his father or his Head of House what Gideon had intimated?

'Diamondback,' said Gideon upon arriving at the hidden entrance to the Slytherin Common Room. With everyone in classes or otherwise occupied, it was empty. Gideon went straight to his dormitory, where he lay down on his four-poster bed. It wasn't exactly home—he wasn't sure he had one of those anymore—but it felt good to be back.

After a few minutes of blissful solitude, just staring up at the ceiling, Gideon pulled himself up and flung himself down toward the other end of the bed, in reach of his trunk. His things from the Hospital Wing had been placed on top of it. Attached to his bag was a folded note.

Dear Gideon,

While clearing your medical bay I happened to come across the rubbish in your drawer. I do hope you will pardon my rudeness, but I happened to read some of your correspondence by accident.

Judging by the fact that the envelopes were torn up as well, I don't think you had a chance to read the letters. The healthy thing to do would be to read them, and I believe they contain information that you would want to know about, so I have reassembled them for you and put them in your bag.

Yours sincerely,

Madam Longbottom

Gideon was mildly annoyed but couldn't help being intrigued by what the matron had thought he would want to know about. So, he reached into his bag and removed Caroline's three letters, hoping he wasn't making a mistake. Neither the envelopes nor their contents showed any sign of having previously been ripped to pieces. Gideon opened the first and read.

Dear Gideon,

I don't know if you will get this letter in time, but something terrible has happened. I don't know how to explain myself properly in a letter. I've done something very silly. Something that will hurt you.

I use notebooks to keep ideas for stories and jot down my thoughts. I was planning on writing about the attack on you and your mum. I intended to write about how the Ministry could allow Dementors in London. It was supposed to be for your benefit. However, I quickly realised that any story about the attack could also be damaging to you.

I'm ashamed to say, though, that I was careless, and my notebook went missing from my desk. I learned today that my editor took it without my permission and is running the story with everything that I know about you. Naturally, I'm furious with him and I'm doing all I can to stop it from getting out, but there's a good chance it will be in the next edition.

I can't tell you how sorry I am. I can only hope that you will find it in your heart to forgive me for my foolishness, whether the story gets out or not.

Love,

Caroline

Gideon instantly regretted reading the letter. His cold certainty that another family member had betrayed him had been shaken. If Caroline was telling the truth, and that was a big if, perhaps she wasn't as bad as the others. No, how could he accept that? She had obviously been planning to write the story. And she was stupid enough to leave the notebook lying around. She didn't deserve his forgiveness. Not after a mistake of this magnitude.

Gideon opened the next letter, tearing it slightly in his haste. He could see it was just a follow-up on the previous one, written after the Prophet had gone out with the story, his story, on the front page. Seeing that it was just more explanations, apologies, and requests for him to write back or ask the school to let him make a Magiphone call, he tore it up in a rage and took a deep breath before opening the last.

Dear Gideon,

I understand if you don't wish to contact me. Again, please know that I'm deeply sorry and I hope to hear from you soon.

I'm just writing to you today with an update about your mum.

After her monthly test results, the Healers are saying now that she is doing very well. Her vitals and levels are all completely back to normal, if not better. They let me in to see her and she looks so much better.

I've been assured that the hospital is still investigating other courses of treatment, but they believe that she could wake up any time now! Let's hope so!

Hoping you're well.

Love,

Caroline

Gideon didn't tear up this letter. However, he gathered up all the pieces of paper and dropped them—along with his thoughts—inside his trunk to deal with later. Gideon sighed, then clasped his hands together and prayed silently for his mother's speedy recovery. He desperately wanted her to wake up and make everything better, just as she had always done whenever he had scraped a knee, argued with one of his siblings, or come home after a particularly bad day at Johnston Primary.

Gideon lamented for a few minutes before jumping up energetically and smacking his cheeks with both hands. He grabbed his Transfiguration textbook and went to sit by the Common Room fire, to read while awaiting the inevitable return of his housemates.

They returned in dribs and drabs over the next few hours. Some made unpleasant faces upon spotting him, others ignored him, and a select few greeted him. Among those were the twins, Jade and Jasper Williams, who informed Gideon cheerfully, 'Anyone that our Ruby likes is fine by us!'

A couple of the prefects gave him a dutiful, 'Welcome back, let us know if you need anything.' There was also a seventh-year boy with a pompadour-like haircut whom Gideon hadn't spoken to before. He sat next to Gideon at the fire and was very friendly towards him. He introduced himself as Isaac Fletcher, asked how Gideon was and even complimented him on his contribution to the house point total.

After a few minutes, the boy leaned in closer and said in a lower voice, 'You know, Gideon, I for one like what you've been doing. There are a few of us who can tell you've got potential. If you want to clue us in, I'm sure we can help you.'

At that point, Gideon got up from his seat without a word and returned to the dorm, angry with himself for not seeing through Isaac's intentions. Clearly, on top of those who believed he started the fires and hated him for it, he now also had to contend with a contingent of people who believed he started the fires and admired him for it.

Dorian, Eoin, Tim and Gio were all in the dormitory when he entered. They must have entered the Common Room while Isaac had been buttering Gideon up. He had decided earlier that he wasn't going to actively avoid the other boys anymore. He would be cordial, even friendly, and if they chose not to engage him, that was okay.

'Hi guys,' Gideon said quietly but confidently as he walked over to his bed and lay down with his book.

After a few tense moments, Dorian alone responded tentatively, 'Hey, Gideon. Y'alright?'

'Yeah, thanks,' he replied, then continued reading his book. The boys didn't speak to him again that evening, and that was fine by Gideon. He wasn't expecting any miracles after everything they must have read in the Prophet. It was enough for now, that they didn't object to sharing the dorm with him.

***

After discussing the imminent Hufflepuff VS Ravenclaw match since waking up the next day, the boys, or more specifically, Dorian, stopped to ask if Gideon was going down to the pitch, which Gideon interpreted as an invitation to join them.

Grateful for the offer but reluctant to burden them with his company just yet, especially with Gio glaring at him from the other end of the room, he answered, 'Thanks, but I need to check on something. Maybe I'll see you down there?'

In truth, he planned to watch the game alone. However, as he left the castle ten minutes later wearing his cloak and gloves, he was startled by two impatient voices, 'Oh, here he is!', 'Finally!' It was Ruby and Talia.

'Wha-what are you two doing?' Gideon said in genuine astonishment.

'Waiting for you, of course!' said Talia, 'Or do you think we like standing around in the cold for no reason?'

'We tried to visit you last week, but Madam Longbottom wouldn't allow it. She said you hadn't approved us as visitors,' Ruby said with a note of hurt in her voice.

'Well, I... I figured after reading the Prophet...' Gideon started.

'Some of it was a surprise,' Ruby said hesitantly. 'I'm guessing it was more of a surprise for you, though. I can't believe they would print all that about you. You were just a baby...'

'Meh. I don't read that rag,' said Talia coolly. 'Now, come on, let's go. It's freezing!'

Gideon grinned widely for the first time in a week.

The three of them walked down to the Quidditch pitch together, discussing the Prophet's revelations and how they fit with what Gideon had shared with them previously. They also told him how the headmistress had addressed the school and assured them he wasn't a threat, and about all the ensuing gossip.

Despite it being a face-off between their two houses, the girls continued talking quietly with Gideon throughout the match, which wasn't anywhere near as exciting as the previous one had been. Ruby wasn't much of a Quidditch fan, and Talia only seemed to enjoy the game when someone got fouled or hit with a Bludger, no matter which team they were on.

'I'll never understand the British obsession with Quidditch,' Talia explained as they headed up back to the school following a narrow Ravenclaw victory. 'Gauntlet! Now, there's a proper wizarding sport. They actually use magic.'

'Gauntlet?' Ruby queried, which led to Talia explaining the sport animatedly over lunch in the Student Lounge. It sounded to Gideon, like a mixture between Quidditch and dueling, though, there were no brooms. He had never heard of Gauntlet, but according to Talia, its popularity was beginning to soar.

They met again the following day, which Gideon and Ruby now had free owing to their Charms Club walkout. When they recounted the tale of which to Talia, she burst out laughing and wished she could have seen Verity's face. Her cackle was so loud that it frightened her cat, Kuroh, whom she had brought with her.

Kuroh was a short-haired black cat with striking, electric-blue eyes. He was very friendly, but they soon discovered he had a strange fondness for staring at Gideon, and Talia had to keep calling him away when it became more bothersome than entertaining.

After eating, they read the long-anticipated Ministry statement regarding Gideon in the Sunday Prophet. Gideon was embarrassed by the cover photo of him looking dazed and confused next to the Minister for Magic. Ruby thought it was the Minster who should be embarrassed by it, given her overt posing for the cameras.

'It looks like she's going to pull your arm out of the socket!' Talia commented dryly regarding Minister Granger-Weasley's forceful handshake.

The three of them agreed the story was good for Gideon. The Ministry had officially declared support for him, condemned Shacklebolt and ruled out "the absurd question of whether 'the binding spell should be performed on him again'," which a Prophet readers' poll had scored; "Yes - 35%", "No - 35%", "Don't Know - 30%."

After spending the afternoon practising magic with Ruby and Talia, Gideon was daunted by the prospect of returning to classes the following day. Still, he was happy. Despite everything, it seemed that he had made his first real friends.

***

Even though he had been completing work for his classes while in the Hospital Wing, settling back into his lessons was a little jarring for Gideon. It wasn't because of the stares, glares, and whispers of the other students, he was used to that by now. It was due to how most of his subjects had moved on to new topics.

In History of Magic, Professor Binns had begun lecturing them on medieval witch hunts, and in Transfiguration, Professor Voronov had them working with larger subjects. In Charms, Professor Keane was teaching banishing, and in Defence Against the Dark Arts, they were practising new counter-spells, which Professor Maxwell had conveniently forgotten to inform Gideon of while he was away. Hence, he left the classroom shaking severely from the after-effects of multiple successful jinxes.

In addition, Professor Long had arranged a test of their Potions skills. They would be concocting an anti-dizziness potion. It was more important than usual to brew it correctly, though, because they would be sampling the potion themselves to get through the following week's practical Herbology lesson safely. There, they would be harvesting Puffapods, which Professor Longbottom informed them, released spores that caused dizziness, so most of the students were anxious about the upcoming classes.

Thankfully, during Care of Magical Creatures, the pupils got to play in a pen full of Crup puppies. They were essentially Jack Russell terriers with forked tails but bred to dislike Muggles. Talia claimed to be a "cat person" and acted like she wasn't impressed, but Gideon could tell she had fun.

He had a great time until he learned that he had missed Hagrid's special lesson. While Gideon was in the hospital, the rest of the class got to see and even ride hippogriffs, magnificent half-bird, half-horse creatures.

By Thursday, Gideon was tired out and turned in early. As if it had been no time at all since his head had hit the pillow, he was awoken with a start by the distant but clear sound of the school bell. Seeing that the room was lit only by the eerie glow of the window, though, it was surely the middle of the night.

Why was it sounding now? Did it mean there was an emergency of some kind? As he listened, Gideon realised the chimes were ringing totally out of sequence. Then, after one last almighty bong, which seemed to reverberate through the dormitory walls, they stopped.

'What the bloody heck was that about?' Gideon heard Eoin ask sleepily. He turned around and saw the dark outlines of the other boys, all sitting up in bed as he was.

'Are we supposed to get up?' whispered Tim.

'It's the middle of the night!' Gio complained. 'I'm not going anywhere except back to sleep!'

'What time is it?' Eoin asked.

'It's gone two in the morning,' Dorian said. 'I wouldn't worry about it, probably just a prank. The prefects will get us if we're supposed to be up.'

***

The following morning, the Slytherins were buzzing about their unexpected wake-up call, but none of them had an explanation for it. When they reached the Entrance Hall on the way to breakfast, they noticed Hufflepuffs from the opposite side rushing up the marble staircase, instead of into the Great Hall.

'Come on, let's follow. Something must have happened!' said Eoin excitedly.

Gideon was longing for a bacon butty, but he was intrigued by the frantic mutterings of the Hufflepuffs and decided to go along with the boys. They jogged through the castle, unaware of where they were heading or if those in front even knew where they were going. Eventually, they arrived at a large crowd of students who were craning their necks and standing on tiptoes to get a look at something.

'What is it? What's going on?' Eoin said aloud, but nobody around could tell. There were too many people in the way, most of them taller than Gideon and the others.

'Give me a hand, guys,' muttered Dorian with a wink, gesturing toward Eoin's back. Guessing what Dorian was planning, Tim and Gio took out their wands, and Gideon followed suit. 'Wingardium leviosa,' said Dorian. Tim, Gio and Gideon added their spells and Eoin easily floated high into the air above the crowd.

'Oi! What d'you think you're playing at!' Eoin cried in surprise, dropping his bag.

'What can you see, Eoin?' Dorian instructed.

'I'll get you back for this later!' Eoin said, then tried to steady himself, looked towards the front of the crowd and marvelled, 'Oh, that's what it was...'

'What? What is it?' Gio demanded.

'One of the school bells!' Eoin explained. 'There's a hole in the bell tower wall and the bell is sitting there in a crater! It's surrounded by wood. Charred wood. It looks like there's been another fire!'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.3K 893 11
Percy Jackson is dead Who killed Percy Jackson the greatest Hero of all time Can Annabeth handle it Will she find love again read and find out Com...
3.6K 64 19
The incredibles is my favourite movie so I thought I would make some oneshots about it, and im one of those people that likes to make crazy scenarios...
62.9K 1.4K 13
After the new spirit portal opened, Jinora has been forced to do extensive research as a part of her being an airbending master. Eventually, her fath...
544K 27.4K 200
Everyone needs a laugh! Why not have one with Disney? #40 in #disney on 11/1/18 Cover by @oceantaled Story begun by @sammiev05 and contributed to by...