The Runaway Groom -- ON HIATUS

By BarneyTheDinosaur

"It could have been Harry and Bethany against the world, as he would say, but the sad reality of this all, is... More

prologue.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty one.
twenty two.
twenty three.

ten.

1.2K 30 26
By BarneyTheDinosaur

[A/N]

Happy new year! It's 2013! My favorite number is 13 so I hope this is going to be a good year for me.

Dedicated to my lovely friend callmegeli. She's the first one to read this chapter and somehow, through my story, she's starting to like One Direction. Yey. 

Anyways, enjoy!

Harry’s POV

“I’d like to dedicate this last song I’m going to sing for you tonight to my friends back in London.” Bethany spoke to the crowd who yelled in response. “How many of you have been warned about dating a specific person?” she asked them as they screamed in response again. “How many of you didn’t listen to them?” Screams filled the arena again.

“Lou, what did you two talk about yesterday?” I asked Louis who was beside me, watching Bethany from the side of the stage.

“Oh you know…” Louis scratched his head awkwardly. “Stuff”

“What kind of ‘stuff’?”

He sighed. “We had this serious talk,” he started as I raised my eyebrows at him. “About the two of you. You’ll get part of what we talked about when she sings the song; apparently I helped her with that.”

“And you helped her with the name of her fan base.” I shook my head. “Bumble Bees? Seriously Lou?”

He laughed at me. “What? We call her ‘B’ and if you pronounce it you’ll say ‘bee’.” I gave him a ‘duh’ look as he continued. “And viola, a world of Bumble Bees has been created.”

I averted my gaze back at Bethany as she continued to speak to the crowd.

“Well let me tell you something, I didn’t listen to them as well.” She sat comfortably back on the stool in the middle of the stage as she slung her guitar over her shoulder. “And it led to the most heartbreaking break up I’ve ever experienced. I’ll tell you a really short story about it, if that’s okay with you?” she asked them which led to another high pitched screams.

I never thought all of them would love her. I thought only a handful but I guess they were used to seeing her with us, which was a good thing.

“So I met this guy,” she didn’t get to continue since this time the screams were louder, asking the name of who the guy she’s talking about. As if knowing what they are saying, she replied, “I’m not telling you his name.” She chuckled as the crowd booed and cheered at the same time. I know she was talking about me, just by the way Louis replied earlier ‘About the two of you. You’ll get part of what we talked about when she sings the song.’ “I told my friends that he fancied me and of course, right away after I said his name, they go on this rant.” She exasperatedly said, waving her hands in the air as she continued to speak. “About how he is player, a flirt, and whatnots. Being the stubborn me, I didn’t listen. I proved them wrong, of course, considering we were together for a good three years.” The crowd was somehow quiet as she told her story but once she said ‘three years’, they screamed – meaning they know who she’s talking about. “Note that I used ‘were’ not ‘are’ so meaning they were right.” She pouted. “So I was met with countless of ‘I told you so.’ Which, by the way, was annoying since I was in a hard stage of a break up.” She held her hands in surrender. “I was in love, what can I say?” she genuinely smiled as she reminisced for a second. “As my friend told me yesterday; ‘you do things you never thought in a million years you’d do because when you’re in love, you feel fearless.’” She looked at Lou and smiled. “He was also the one who named my fan base ‘Bumble Bees’ for a reason I need to know.” She giggled.

“Now they know who she’s talking about.” Louis remarked, snapping his fingers.

“I think they knew the moment she said ‘flirt’.” I laughed as we continued to listen to her talk to the crowd.

“So this is for my friends who warned me about him and said I told you so countless of times just to ‘cheer me up’ as they would say.” She chuckled as she started to strum the guitar.

She closed her eyes as she sang the first part of the song.

I remember years ago

Someone told me I should take

Caution when it comes to love, I did

And you were strong and I was not

My illusion, my mistake

I was careless, I forgot

I did.”

Ever since the first night of the concert, she would sing songs that had a meaning to her, telling the crowd a story of some sort as she sang the songs she chosen.

“And now when all is done

There is nothing to say

You have gone and so effortlessly

You have won

You can go ahead tell them.”

She opened her eyes as she stopped strumming and held the micstand with the other hand while the other held the white microphone.

“Tell them all I know now

Shout it from the roof tops

Write it on the sky line

All we had is gone now

Tell them I was happy

And my heart is broken

All my scars are open

Tell them what I hoped would be

Impossible, impossible

Impossible, impossible”

Her eyes showed how hurt she was singing the song, obviously bringing back some memories. But she hid it by smiling weakly at the crowd.

She grabbed the microphone off its stand and stood up, walking at the front of the stage.

“Falling out of love is hard

Falling for betrayal is worst

Broken trust and broken hearts

I know, I know ...

Thinking all you need is there

Building faith on love and words

Empty promises will wear

I know, I know”

She continued to sing the song walking from the other side of the stage to the other, letting her guitar hang around her shoulders.

She briefly closed her eyes as she reached a high note, the crowd cheering her on like they would do when watching a swim match.

She opened them again as she finished off the song.

“I remember years ago

Someone told me I should take

Caution when it comes to love

I did…”

She seemed hurt as she finished off the song but once the crowd screamed a smile immediately crept on her lips.

“Before I pass you on to my lovely friends,” she laughed as they screamed once more knowing they get to hear us next. “Prove the ones wrong who said to be careful about falling in love with a specific person even if in the end, they were right. Because from what I learned, there are two categories of love;” she raised two of her fingers up. “The first is called a fairytale while the other is called a lesson.” She bid them a goodbye and countless of thank you’s before scurrying off the stage, going to where I, Louis, and now Niall were.

Louis immediately tackled her in a hug, murmuring things to her before he retreated to get the other boys. Niall then hugged her and said something about them talking after the concert.

I knew they were going to do this. They were going to convince her, one by one, about forgiving me and such like what they did years ago when she didn’t agree on going on a date with me.

“You seemed emotional singing the song.” I remarked as she gave her guitar to one of the stage crew.

 “I was,” she wearily smiled at me. “I wanted to let out what I felt in a song, so I chose Impossible.”

I nodded but before I could reply we were already called to perform.

*****

Bethany’s POV

The feeling being on stage and the crowd cheering you on is a feeling I don’t want to let go. The way they cheer for you while you’re singing even if they bought tickets to see your friends sing instead of you. Hearing them sing the song you’re singing, feels so surreal. When they accepted me again after two years, is heartwarming. Becoming a fan of me because somehow they could relate to what I was going through or what I’m experiencing, or because I sing, is unbelievable.

Telling them a part of my story when my friends warned me about Harry and said I told you so a countless times was a sigh of relief. It felt good taking the weight off your shoulders and telling some people you haven’t met a story and trying to teach them a lesson afterwards.

But there also comes a time where you tell a story and you can’t help but miss the person who you were with and get to kiss them without hesitation. Suddenly remembering those sweet times with them but then the horrid ending came and you suddenly forgot about the good times you had with the person. It’s funny how one terrible moment with them makes you instantly forget about the lovely and sweet times you had together.

“Bethany? Hello?” Niall snapped his fingers near my face, at the same time snapping me out of my reverie.

“Sorry,” I smiled sheepishly at him. “What were you saying?”

We were at the bus now. Niall and I are sitting opposite from each other in the booth while the other boys were in the back room of the bus, resting or playing games probably. Tiffany, Claire, and the other crew were in the other buses because a bus has six bunk beds.

“Chocolate or chips?” he asked as he pointed towards the snacks on the table. “You’re a girl so chocolates obviously.” He passed me an M&M’s pack and opened his chips.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked as my phone vibrated from my pocket.

I took it out before I opened the chocolates and ate some.

From Jason<3:

‘Hey love, I miss you. Xx’

I quickly replied to his text.

To Jason<3:

‘I miss you too. Hopefully you and Al can visit soon. Love you. Xo’

I locked my phone and placed it on the table, eating the chocolates Niall passed me.

“From the looks of it, Jason texted?” Niall wiggled his eyebrows at me, as he munched on some of his chips while I laughed at him.

My phone vibrated again and it showed a picture of Jason kissing my cheek and I had this look of surprised on my face because I was caught off guard by his kiss.

Niall looked over to my phone and shook his head.

“This answers your question?” I chuckled, replying to Jason that I’ll call him later. It was rude to text and talk at the same time. My parents taught me things that until now I still carry on. “What did you want to talk about, Panini?” I grinned at him, propping my elbows on the table and leaning in.

Panini was my nickname for Niall. I called him that because the lads sometimes called him Ni so I wanted to be original. Like what I call Paul – Paully-wally.

“Tell me about Jason.” He reprimanded. He wanted to talk about something else but I knew he was taking the safe route on this one.

A grin immediately crept on my lips. “What do you want to know?”

“Well for starters, where did you two meet?”

“God Ni, you sound like my parents when they met him.” I rolled my eyes at him but continued. “He told me we met at SyCo years ago but I was always with Harry whenever we exchange greetings so he couldn’t really ask me out then but I got to know him at a café because, being my clumsy self, I accidentally spilled coffee on him. What a lovely impression a made on him.” I chuckled.

“Just like how you and Ally made an impression on us by falling face first when Liam opened the door years ago. Who knew you two were eavesdroppers.”

“Hey!” I protested, throwing him some chocolates. “Ally was persistent that you were there in the room so being the best friend that I am, I leaned on the door to wait for her stop doing her shenanigans not eavesdropping besides I wasn’t even that big of a fan of you guys.” I shrugged, throwing some chocolates in my mouth. “And back to your first question, that’s how Jason and I started to become close.” I continued.

“So you just moved on from Harry just like that?” he snapped his fingers.

“It was hard to move on from him, if I’m being honest. His face was plastered on every magazine. I had to stay at home most of time because reporters were everywhere. They wouldn’t leave me alone. So Ally and some of my friends were there for me to cheer me up. Jason just came along because apparently I’m ‘cool’ to be around with.”

“It’s because you are my friend.” He said as he pointed a chip at me while I gave him an odd look. “How long are you two together?” he questioned, stuffing his mouth with chips again.

“A year and a half.” I smiled, finishing my chocolates.

“That’s long. Are you going to settle down with him any time soon?”

“If he pops the question then sure; I love him, he loves me.” I shrugged, slouching down on the booth.

“What about you and Harry?”

I sat up and furrowed my eyebrows. “What about me and Harry?” I retorted.

“What if something happens between you two?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused.

“What if you realized your feelings for him never left? What if you fell in love with him again? What if he tells you he still loves you, what would you say?”

“Those are just ‘what if’s’ Niall.” I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest. “I had endless of those; ‘What if he left because he didn’t love me anymore?’, ‘What if I didn’t meet Harry, what could possibly be happening in my life?’ What ifs are just like ‘I wish’. Wishing for something you know you couldn’t reach.”

“But what ifs are ways to start a new story; if not then there’ll be no twists and possibilities of reading a good book if you always follow a certain pattern.” He answered, scrunching up the empty pack of chips.

“What?”

“I didn’t understand what I said also.” He laughed as I laughed at him. “But it’s true though. What ifs is a way to start a story.”

“I know,” I sighed. “But Harry and I’s story is finished already. I’m focusing on Jason and I’s story.”

“You say it like you’re planning where you two are going.”

“Love has no rules, Ni. You know that. I’m just wondering if we could last you know?”

“You lasted for a year and half, why? Do you have doubts?” he asked, somehow interested.

“Of course not!” I immediately reacted. “I’m still not sure if he’s the one for me. Sure, I love him, but I think I don’t love him as much as he loves me, you know?”

“When you two fought, how did he take it?”

“We haven’t fought yet, Ni.” I said quietly.

“Okay…” he trailed off. “When you two had –“

“If it’s inappropriate, I didn’t want to hear it. Lalalalalalala” I covered my ears, shaking my head side to side cutting Niall midsentence.

“Okay clearly not.”

I slowly put down my hands. “You know Harry and I never did it. It’s something I don’t want to give up until after marriage. That’s how I work and I want to be respected for that. And besides, if I did, I shouldn’t be wearing this around.”

I pulled the chain of necklace and showed it to Niall. I hang my purity with my necklace because it’s loose around my finger.

His eyes then went over to the gold locket beside the ring. “Is that… Never mind” He decided against what he was going to ask as he gave him a confused look, letting go of my necklace. “Uhm…” he started to scratch the back of his head and stood up. “I’m actually tired but it was nice having a chat with you.” He quickly said, retreating to the back of the room, leaving me confused.

*****

[A/N]

HAI. 

Not exactly the best chapter but I wanted to give hints of some sort.

I might update late again since we have exams the moment we go back to school. I just hope you're patient enough to wait for the next chapter. :]

Two months into this story and it has ten chapters, 2500+ reads, 130+ votes. I had no idea that this story can achieve that in two months. I thought less, to be honest. So thank you.

Picture at the side -- Bethany.

Video -- Impossible (Maddi Jane's cover)

Comment, fan, and vote. Please and thank you :)

Don't forget, SPARKLES.

xo Charlene

P.S.

Being a Harry girl hurts. :'( What a great way to start a new year, right? -.-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Divulge By nads

Fanfiction

52.5K 1K 22
When I told you I never wanted to see you again, you think I meant that? LWOD III.
616 26 8
Updates everyday! Based on real events . Touching real life situations, relationships and feelings also with humor, adventurous plot twists, and a ch...
13.4K 266 52
Love...... The word tasted weird on my tongue Love makes a person stupid. Believe me when I say Love is blind, because I've been there before ***** "...
364 1 27
Things would not always go as planned... Always!!!...make that never for me.. My life has suddenly turned from a peaceful normal life to a rollercoas...