Standing Outside the Fire

By TheQuietHufflepuff

They averted the apocalypse, but, as usual, there are more issues and monsters to face. Sam, Dean and Franki... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
I
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
II
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
III
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
IV
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72

23

37 3 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

[The Girl Next Door]

INT. SIOUX FALLS GENERAL HOSPITAL - TREATMENT ROOM - DAY

Dean was on a hospital bed looking up at bright lights.

"Hold him down," the doctor instructed.

"Hey," Dean called.

"Three, two, one, set!"

Dean's leg was set and he screamed, "Aaaargh!"

"Nurse!" He turned to Dean. "Just relax."

"Where am I?"

"You're at the hospital."

"Which one?"

"Sioux Falls General."

A nurse gave Dean a shot as he asked, "Where's my brother? We got to go."

"He bashed his head quite seriously. He's gone up for an MRI."

"Okay, I got to go."

"You're not going anywhere on this leg, buddy. Relax."

Dean blacked out.

INT. SIOUX FALLS GENERAL HOSPITAL - PATIENT ROOM - DAY

"Oh, no, no, no," Dean muttered, pulling a drip from his arm and tried to get up, but fell to the floor with a yell. His right leg was in a cast. "What?"

Bobby and Francesca entered the room and asked, "You okay?"

"Bobby, Frankie, you're both alive."

"'Course we are," Bobby replied. "Why are you on the floor?"

"They gave me morphine. A lot." Bobby and Francesca helped Dean up. "Hey, look, a monster broke my leg. Frankie, you're so pretty. Oh. Wait... the house. We thought you two were dead."

"Well, we ain't. Not yet. But we got to run. This place ain't safe. Where's Sam?"

"Uh... Head scan, I think."

"Meet us at the ambulance dock, stat. Frankie and I'll find Sam."

"Wait, where? Bobby, Frankie, I'm a gimp."

Bobby brought Dean crutches. "Hey." He patted Dean's cheek several times and smiled at him.

INT. SIOUX FALLS GENERAL HOSPITAL

"You've scheduled dessert, I presume?" Dr. Gaines questioned.

His phone rang and the nurse took it from his gown pocket and held it to his ear. "Yes? The Winchesters?"

Dean exited his hospital room on crutches. Bobby and Francesca approached two orderlies who were moving an unconscious Sam on a stretcher, and held up some ID.

"Hold the phone, son. Who is he?" Bobby looked at the chart on Sam's stretcher. "Yeah, this is the guy. Coverage lapsed. We're shipping him to County." Bobby spoke to an unconscious Sam. "Come on, sicko. Let's get you healed up some place a little safer."

Dr. Gaines and the nurse strode purposefully down the hallway as Dean made his way on crutches. Bobby and Francesca pushed Sam on the stretcher. Dr. Gaines saw Dean's empty room. Bobby, Sam and Francesca left the hospital via the ambulance entrance and Bobby put Sam's stretcher in the ambulance. Francesca climbed in the back next to Sam.

"Come on, Dean," Bobby muttered.

Through the ambulance side mirror, Bobby saw Dr. Gaines and the nurse coming out of the ambulance entrance door.

"Balls. Come on, Dean. Come on, Dean!"

Dean got in the passenger side of the ambulance. "Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!"

Bobby accelerated away. Dr. Gaines and the nurse ran after the ambulance for a short distance. Dr. Gaines took out his phone.

INT. CABIN - DAY

Whitefish, Montana

Three weeks later

Sam was reading at the table and Dean was watching television. On the screen a woman was crying over a man's body. Bobby and Francesca entered.

"Dude... Ricardo," Dean said.

"What happened?" Bobby asked.

"Suicidio."

"Adiós, ese."

Dean looked quite moved at what had happened on the screen. Francesca let out a sigh, but was amused.

Bobby continued. "Well, this ought to cheer you up. Frankie?"

Francesca handed Dean a set of keys and he cried, "My baby! Now I just got to get this stupid thing off and I can drive again."

"So how is it out there?" Sam asked.

"Weird with a side order of bloody," Bobby replied. "Talked to a few hunters. They're running into the same and of thing that set up shop at that hospital."

"Yeah, and don't forget tried to kill us at your place," Dean reminded them.

Francesca looked between them. "Well, the consensus is they're, uh, they're like shapeshifters and a lot more into eating folks. And nothing can kill 'em."

"Good times. Anything else?"

"Yep," Bobby confirmed. "They bleed black goo."

"Like that stuff came out of Cas - those things from Purgatory," Sam said. "Uh... Leviathan."

"Yep."

"What about those chompers that you two and the sheriff saw at the hospital?" Dean asked. "They still making spleenburgers?"

"Yeah, made some calls. That doctor never showed back up to work. Ditto a nurse and some administrator."

Sam started hearing voices in his head.

Lucifer, in Sam's mind, said, "You never left, Sam."

"So they could be at any hospital in America," Dean stated.

"Yeah," Bobby and Francesca replied.

"You're still in the Cage... with me," Lucifer told Sam.

"What do you think, Sammy? Sammy? Sam," Dean called.

"Sam..."

"Hey, ground control! Sam!"

Sam turned over his left palm, revealing his healed wound. "Yeah. What? I'm - I'm right here."

"You okay?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

There was a long pause before Bobby said, "Good. Every last bit of info I ever had burned down, so..."

"What about this place?" Dean wondered. "Rufus leave anything? Did you check the basement?"

"C-rations and dust. I don't think he'd been here in years. So, I got to go round up my old library."

Sam frowned. "I thought you said most of those books were one-of-a-kind."

"Yeah. That's why I stashed copies all over the place."

"Okay, good," Dean said. "Um... Hey, uh, two-legs. We're fresh out of grub. Want to make a run?"

"Sure. Yeah," Sam answered.

Dean tossed Sam the keys to the Impala. "Be careful with her, would you? And, uh, Sam?"

"Yeah?" Sam questioned.

"Pie."

"Obviously," Sam stated, leaving.

"So?" Dean asked.

"So what?" Bobby and Francesca questioned.

Dean focused on Bobby. "Before you bail again - "Girl, Interrupted" over there. Any thoughts?"

"Looks to me like he's doing better," Bobby told him.

"Better? What do you mean, better? You and Frankie just saw him!"

"Saw him check out once. That's progress."

"You're kidding!"

"Look, seems to me that Sam's head ain't no different than your leg. People heal on a curve."

"Not diff - Bobby, I get this thing off in five days, I'm golden. Sam's not a curve. He's a frickin' time bomb."

"It ain't like he's keeping secrets. What you see is what you get. What's so nuts about calling an upswing?"

"Because that not how it works, Bobby, ever! Especially not with Sam. The other shoe is gonna drop. It's just a matter of when."

"Okay. How 'bout we worry about today's problems? And today, we need intel. I'm going, Frankie will stay. You sit there and stew, don't annoy her too much. Frankie, don't annoy him too much. I'll check in. Look... you sitting here wringing your hands ain't gonna do nothing. Maybe he'll surprise you." Bobby left.

INT. WHITEFISH, MONTANA GAS & SIP - DAY

Sam carried baskets of groceries to the counter. "Hey."

"Hey," the clerk greeted.

Sam picked up the Bozeman Times newspaper. The headline read 'ICE PICK KILLER STRIKES AGAIN'.

"Paper, too?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, please. Here."

Sam handed the clerk a credit card with the name Lemmy Kilmister. The clerk swiped the card through the payment machine.

INT. OFFICE - DAY

A man was sitting in front of a computer screen and talking on the phone using a headset. "Yes, sir. Do you see any other strange charges on your statement? The May 27th charge to "Mistress Magda," perhaps? Oh. Sorry for asking."

A transaction alert flashed up on his computer screen saying that Lemmy Kilmister had used his card at the Whitefish Gas n' Sip.

"We're gonna have to call you back," the man said.

The man took out a cell phone and made a call.

EXT. DOTTIE'S BAKERY AND CAFÉ - DAY

Edgar was sitting outside with a cup of coffee and a newspaper as he spoke on his phone. "Yes?"

"Yes, sir," the man said. "The Winchesters have triggered one of my search programs."

"Great."

"A shop in Montana, about a day-and-a-half, maybe two days from here."

"So?"

"So?"

"So, why are you still talking to me?" He hung up.

INT. OFFICE - DAY

The man left his desk.

INT. RUFUS' CABIN

Sam put a shopping bag on the table near Dean who reached for it.

"Ah, thank you," Dean said.

"Yep," Sam replied as Dean turned off the television. "Where's Bobby and Frankie? They take off?"

"Bobby went to check something out," Francesca stated, entering the room.

"Like Frankie said, Bobby did," Dean told his brother. "Hey, Sam, how you doing?"

"Fine," Sam replied.

"I mean, you still, you know, you hit your head pretty hard, might have some side effects..."

"Yeah, no, I-I know what you mean. Yeah, I'm - I'm still seeing crap that's not real. But, yeah, I'm fine. I mean, I can tell the difference."

"Think it's getting better?"

"Honestly? Uh... I don't know. I just know I'm managing it, so... So don't worry."

"Where's the pie?"

"I got cake. It's close enough, right?"

Dean fell asleep on the couch. Francesca went to do some research on the Leviathans. Sam was reading an article in the newspaper titled 'Victim's fatal wounds 'signature' of killer'.

EXT. LINCOLN, NEBRASKA, 1998 - DAY

Young Sam was reading a newspaper on a bench and talking on the phone.

"Yeah, so from what I can tell, it's something called a Kitsune. Not much. They... look human... till they sprout out claws and stab you behind your ear to get to your brain. I don't - I don't know yet. Yes, Dean, I realize killing 'em's important. Maybe if Uncle Bobby sent a book in English. I am! No, no, don't - don't put him on the phone. Hi, Dad. Yes, sir. I realize people are dying. Yeah, I'm on my way to the library right now."

INT. RUFUS' CABIN

Sam left a note for Dean and Francesca on the table next to the uneaten cake, took the keys to the Impala and left.

EXT. UNDER BRIDGE - NIGHT

"Sorry, honey," a long-haired man said. "Price went up. Fifty-five."

"Oh, I don't - I don't have it," the woman told him.

"That's too bad. Maybe we can make a little trade. Hmm?"

At the sound of police sirens, they hurried away in opposite directions. The man heard a noise and stopped, but saw nothing and continued on his way. Someone tackled him to the ground.

"Aah!" the long-haired man cried.

The man laid on the ground, dead. Blood pooled from the back of his head.

INT. RUFUS' CABIN - DAY

Dean woke and read his brother's note: 'Back in a few days. I'm fine. Sam'.

"Other shoe!" Dean yelled into the phone.

Francesca frowned. "Other shoe?"

"Sam dipped."

"Okay, and?"

"And? And?!"

"Hey! Quit yelling at me."

EXT. GAS STATION

Bobby, on the phone, said, "Other who?"

INT. RUFUS' CABIN / EXT. GAS STATION

"He took off."

"Where?"

"Frankie and I don't know. Nowhere good."

"Well, maybe he needed a little "alone time.""

"Yeah, but his alone time ain't just him. I mean, for all we know he's road-trippin' with Lucifer somewhere. Left me and Frankie here like Jimmy friggin' Stewart!"

"I assume you two called."

"Straight to voicemail. He turned his GPS off, too. And he took my car!"

"Don't panic."

"Too late!"

"Look, he says he's okay, so give it a couple of days. Just till you get the cast off, then hunt him down. Till then, we'll each just keep calling."

"All right."

INT. RUFUS' CABIN

Dean hung up.

He held up an angle grinder. "You're goin' down."

Dean cut into his cast with the angle grinder.

Francesca frowned. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Help me remove this."

"Dean-"

"Don't Dean me. My little brother could be in trouble. I refuse to be a sitting duck."

"Dee, this is a really bad idea."

"Help me, Frankie."

"No. But I will come with you."

"No, you stay here and man the cabin. Woman the cabin; whatever."

Francesca rolled her eyes and sighed. "You are all kinds of stubborn."

"Yup."

"Be careful."

"I will."

INT. POLICE STATION - DAY

"You guys thinking this is another one - so called ice pick killer?" Sam asked.

"Same M.O.," the officer said. "Can't say I'm too broken up about this one."

"Oh, you knew him?"

"Busted him half a dozen times. Real mensch."

"So, what's the deal? Um, killer comes to town, banks a lowlife, moves along?"

"Looks like."

"Stabs 'em all exactly the same, right? Behind the ear?"

"Yeah. No explaining a psycho. We left out that detail of the paper, though. How'd you know?"

"I worked a case like this a few years back."

"Think it's related?"

"You find anything strange about the brains?"

"Like what?"

"Like... missing."

"Huh. Good question for the coroner."

"Right. Thanks."

Sam's phone beeped. He took it out of his pocket and saw that he had three missed calls from "Lars Ulrich".

INT. WHITEFISH, MT GAS N' SIP - DAY

"How you doing?" Dean asked. "Uh, was there a, uh, big guy in here yesterday?"

"That's specific," the clerk replied.

"Uh, I mean big. Like about yea high?"

"Yeah, maybe. Uh, brown hair?"

"Yes! Yes. That's him. Do you, uh - you remember what he bought?"

"Snacks, maybe?"

"How about a paper? Do you have yesterday's paper?"

The clerk pointed to the stand. "Yeah, right there."

"Oh." Dean picked up the newspaper and saw the ice pick killer headline. "Do you mind?" He walked out with the newspaper.

INT. CORONER'S ROOM - DAY

"We don't get too many murders out this way... much less a serial," the coroner said.

"So what'd you find?" Sam asked.

"It's what we didn't find. Let me show you two. Big chunk of mid-brain went missing."

"Mid-brain, like pituitary gland?"

"Actually, their pituitaries were clear gone. How'd you know that?"

INT. LIBRARY - DAY

Young Sam was sitting at a table with a book.

Young Sam was talking on the phone. "Yeah, so, they need a steady diet of human pituitary glands to survive."

INT. CORONER'S ROOM - DAY

"Educated guess," Sam said.

INT. MOTEL ROOM - DAY

Sam hung his research on the wall and marked locations on a map.

INT. LIBRARY - DAY

Young Sam was still on the phone. "Hang on. Slow down." He was at a desk, and he pointed to various locations and marked them. "Right. So, the victims are located in parks just off the highway. Just one per town. That's something. What? I - I'm just tired. I've been looking at this for like eight years. Wait. Hang on. I'll call you right back."

Young Sam hung up and drew a line on the map between the Xs.

INT. SAM'S MOTEL ROOM - DAY

Sam drew a line on the map between the Xs and circled another location.

EXT. DESERTED STREET - NIGHT

Sam parked the Impala and he sat in it waiting.

EXT. OUTSIDE LANCASTER PUBLIC LIBRARY - DAY

Young Sam ordered from a coffee vendor.

"Triple red eye, please," Young Sam said.

"Okay," the vendor replied.

Young Sam watched a blonde girl enter the library.

"Triple red eye," the vendor said.

"Thanks," Young Sam replied, taking his drink.

EXT. DESERTED STREET - NIGHT

Sam was still in the Impala.

INT. LANCASTER PUBLIC LIBRARY - DAY

Young Sam read a book at a table. He watched the blonde girl browse a magazine rack, but looked away when she looked at him.

EXT. DESERTED STREET - NIGHT

Sam was still in the Impala. A vehicle pulled up nearby and someone got out.

INT. LANCASTER PUBLIC LIBRARY - DAY

Young Sam took a book from a shelf and saw the blonde girl on the other side of the shelves.

Young Sam spoke on the phone. "You stab it in the heart. Stab it. The heart. I said, you stab it in the heart!"

"Shh!" the librarian said.

"Okay. Are you guys cool? Can I have a normal life for five minutes now? Oh, Dean. Quick question. How do you talk to girls?"

Young Sam straightened his jacket and approached the blonde girl, who was sitting at a table. She was wearing a necklace with a crescent moon pendant.

"Um... I just wanted to, you know, say hi, and-" Young Sam began.

"No," the blonde girl replied. "Go away. It's just, I'm not supposed to talk to boys."

Young Sam nodded and turned to leave.

Young Sam left the library, as did the blonde girl a few moments later. She walked away and was followed by two boys. Young Sam followed them.

"Leave me alone," the blonde girl said.

"Come on," boy one begged. "We just want to talk."

"I have to go."

Boy two put a hand on the blonde girl's shoulder and pushed her against a tree.

"Uh-uh-uh. Why so rude?"

"Don't touch me!"

"Hey. I said be nice."

"Why don't you?" Young Sam retorted.

"Butt out. Can you believe this guy?"

Boy one put out a hand to shove Young Sam. Young Sam blocked it and punching him. Boy two punched Young Sam. Young Sam punched boy two, then hit boy one again and shoved boy two as the boys turned to leave.

Young Sam turned to the blonde. "Hi. I'm Sam."

"I'm Amy," the blonde girl replied.

EXT. WOODS - NIGHT

Sam was following a woman who was walking through the woods. The woman watched a man who was standing next to his car fumbling with his car keys.

The man dropped the keys and muttered, "Oh, damn it."

Sam came up behind the woman. She turned and he held a knife to her chest.

"Hi, Amy," Sam greeted.

"Sam. Wow," Amy said.

"Yeah."

"I just... never thought I'd see you again. What are you doing here?"

"I think you know."

"You got tall, huh?"

"Small talk? Really? Let's take a walk."

"Sam-"

"Walk," Sam demanded, holding a knife to Amy's chest.

"So, same pattern, same victim pool - just like when we were kids," Sam said.

"No, I- it's not what - look, I'm not - I've had the same job for the last six years," Amy told them. "I-I have a house, two cats, a mortgage. I have a normal life."

"You call this normal?"

INT. YOUNG AMY'S HOUSE - DAY

The Goo Goo Dolls 'Two Days in February' played.

"Ready to play doctor?" Young Amy asked.

Young Sam sat on the couch. Young Amy dabbed at his face before saying, "So, you gonna tell me?"

"What?" Young Sam questioned.

"How you kicked the crap out of those guys. I mean... no offense, but you're kind of..."

"Wiry?"

"Exactly. So...?"

"Just watch a lot of Bruce Lee movies."

"You thirsty?"

"Sure."

Young Amy opened the refrigerator, which contained jars holding brains. She moved a jar and took out a can of soda.

"So, you live around here?" Young Amy asked.

"No, not really," Young Sam replied. "It's a cool song. My dad doesn't listen to anything recorded after 1979, so..." He held the can of soda to his face.

"Does that mean you can't?" Young Amy questioned.

"I'm kind of stuck in the car a lot. My dad has to travel. For work."

"Yeah, me and my mom bounce around a lot, too. She's all about, like, "Letting the wind be our guide.""

"Like a hippie?"

"Minus the peace and love."

She took the can from Young Sam, opened it, took a drink and handed it back to him.

"We're always on the road," Young Sam explained. "I mean, I've seen the world's biggest ball of twine twice."

"Three times. Not that big."

"Right?"

They laughed.

"Okay, but be honest - I mean, moving all the time sucks. You're always the new kid, and everyone always thinks you're a freak."

"Sam, you are a freak," Young Amy told him. "But so was, I don't know, Jimi Hendrix and... Picasso. So am I. All the coolest people are freaks."

Young Sam leaned forward and they kissed.

EXT. WOODS - NIGHT

"Sam. What I am, I'm managing it," Amy told him.

"You spiked three guys this week," Sam said.

"No, you don't understand. It's not like that. I'm - I'm not just some murderer. I had to."

"Why?"

"I can't - I just had to. Please believe me, Sam."

"I can't. I'm sorry." He reached into Amy's pocket with his left hand.

"So am I."

Amy knocked the knife from Sam's hand and shoved him against a tree. Sam fell to the ground. In Sam's left hand were several items from Amy's pocket.

INT. CORONER'S ROOM - DAY

"This is the one he asked to see," the coroner said.

"Great, great. Uh, let me ask you, did he do anything to it?" Dean questioned.

"No. He just asked a few questions about the other vics - missing pituitary glands and so forth."

"Son of a bitch."

INT. BOBBY'S CAR - NIGHT

"Sam's chasin' a what?" Bobby asked.

INT. DEAN'S BORROWED VEHICLE - NIGHT

"A Kitsune. It's pretty rare. Dad and I hunted one back in '98," Dean informed.

INT. BOBBY'S CAR / INT. DEAN'S BORROWED VEHICLE

"Vaguely rings a bell."

"Yeah, didn't make our highlight reel."

"Well, least now we know they're working a job. Frankie was pretty pissed you left. I got some colorful words from her."

"Yeah, but why pull the Houdini act? I didn't mean to leave her. The language really doesn't surprise me. Just... I was worried about him."

"Not a clue. What are you gonna do when you catch up?"

"I got a few ideas."

INT. AMY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Amy put clothes in a suitcase and laid framed photos, including one of a child, face down. She turned and saw Sam. "How did you find me?"

Sam held up a receipt. "You dropped this. "Amy Pond," huh? Cute name. You weren't kidding about the mortgage."

"Sam..."

He noticed blood on Amy's hand and said, "Wait, that's fresh. That's not mine. So, you killed again!"

"You think I wanted to?"

"I think you better tell me exactly what you're doing, or I have to kill you whether I want to or not!"

"I can't. Sam, you know me."

"No, I knew you. But that was a long time ago."

"No, you know me. You know the kind of person I am."

INT. YOUNG AMY'S HOUSE - DAY

Young Sam and Young Amy broke their kiss. Young Sam tried to set the can of soda on the coffee table, but it fell and spilled.

"Oh!" Young Amy exclaimed. "Crap."

"Sorry," Young Sam apologized. "I didn't mean to."

"It's just, if she sees it, you know, my mom will be so pissed."

"Yeah. It was just an accident."

"Yeah, well, she has a temper. Sometimes. It's... no big deal."

"My dad does, too. You don't want to see him when he's drinking."

"My mom... I don't think she's a good person. Sometimes I don't think I'm a good person, either."

"You are."

"Don't be so sure."

Young Sam put his hand over Young Amy's. "I've been around enough bad to know good when I see it."

"It's just she has this... whole plan for me, but... I don't want to be like her, you know?"

"I don't want to be like my dad, either."

INT. AMY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

"All right. So then tell me what's going on," Sam demanded.

"Drop the knife and I'll show you," Amy said.

"Show me and I'll drop the knife."

"Don't move." She opened the door to a room where a child laid sleeping. "This is Jacob... my son. I've built a life here, Sam. I'm... in the PTA. I'm boring."

"But you're still feeding."

"On the dead. I'm a mortician. I know. Not sexy, but, you know, health benefits. I quietly take what Jacob and I need. No one gets hurt. But it can be risky, feeding like that, especially for a kid. Jacob got sick. He was dying, and the only way to fight it off was-"

"He needed fresh meat."

"It worked. After the last one, his fever broke."

"Amy-"

"It's over."

"You can't guarantee that."

"I give you my word. So, how is spilling more blood gonna help anyone? You could still walk away from this. We both can. Sam... After what I did for you."

INT. YOUNG AMY'S HOUSE - DAY

"Amy, I-" Young Sam began.

"Hide!" Young Amy yelled.

"What?"

"Quick!"

Young Amy shut a closet door behind Young Sam. Young Amy's mother entered.

"Hey," Young Amy greeted.

"They caught up," her mother said.

"Who caught up?"

"Couple of pros in a piece-of-crap Impala. We're leaving."

"But, Mom-"

"I'm only gonna say this once - I put the food on this table, so you will do as you are told or I will let you starve." She walked towards the closet where Young Sam was hiding.

"Okay. Gas up the van. I'll pack."

Young Sam drew his knife in the closet.

"Good girl." She left.

"Awesome first date, huh?" Young Amy commented. "Look, I'm sorry you two got to go like this, but... What's wrong? Look, I know my mom's-"

"No, I just have to go. I'm sorry." Young Sam saw a brain in a jar on a table.

"Oh, that - that's nothing! That's just..." Young Sam lifted his knife. "Sam?"

"It's my dad and brother in the Impala. You're a monster."

"You're a hunter. So... You're supposed to kill me? And I'm supposed to kill you?"

"I guess."

"Sam, I've never killed anyone. And I don't want to hurt you. Do you want to hurt me?"

"No."

"Then run. If my mom finds you, she'll kill you. Just run. Please, Sam."

EXT. SAM'S MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

Sam walked towards his room. He locked the door and was punched by Dean, who was waiting inside. Sam fell back into the plants.

"Howdy, Sam," Dean greeted. "New rule. You steal my baby, you get punched. The hell were you thinking, Sam, running off like that? I mean, for all I know, Satan could have been callin' your plays."

Sam got a can of soda from the refrigerator and held it to his head. "Dean, look, how many times do I have to tell you? I'm fine."

"Oh, yeah, no, you're a poster boy for mental health. You have any idea the kind of horror shows I had going on in my head?"

"Dean, I left you a note. There was a job in town."

"A Kitsune. Yeah. Yeah. No, I know. And you ignore Bobby, Frankie and I's phone calls why, exactly?"

"Because I wanted to take care of it. And I did. I took care of it."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Where's the body?"

"There is no body."

"Why not?"

"Because I let her go. She's gone."

"You what? Why?"

INT. YOUNG AMY'S HOUSE - DAY

Young Sam opened the front door to leave Young Amy's house. Young Amy's mother was standing outside. She grabbed him and forced him backwards.

"Sam!" Young Amy cried.

"I knew you were hiding something," Young Amy's mother said. "See, we can never blow town without Amy throwing a bitch-fit. So agreeing to go peacefully - well. Who is he?"

"He's my friend."

"No, he's not."

"Sam!"

"Shut up! What is wrong with you, huh? You that stupid? Really? I already told you, you cannot have friends. This kid is food!"

"No!"

Young Amy's mother let go of Young Sam and backhanded Young Amy.

Young Amy's mother raised a fist to Young Sam before saying, "This'll teach you." Her fingernails extended into long, pointed claws, then changed back to normal. Young Amy had stabbed her from behind.

INT. SAM'S MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

"You never told me that," Dean said.

"I never told anyone," Sam corrected. "I mean, can you imagine what Dad would have done?"

"So you saw the article in the newspaper, and you just bolted."

"It was my mess."

"And you call letting her go cleaning it up?"

"She killed her own mom, Dean, to save me."

"I hear you, Sam. I do. But look at her now. She's dropping bodies, man... Which means we got to drop her, no matter how many merit badges she racked up when she was a kid. I'm sorry, but it's that simple."

INT. YOUNG AMY'S HOUSE - DAY

"You have to run," Young Sam told his new friend. "Amy! Do you have cash?" Young Amy nodded. "I-I want you on the first bus out of town. Tonight."

"But what about-" Young Amy began.

"I'll take care of her. Just go!"

"Come with me. We don't have to be alone. We can be freaks together, Sam. Sam..."

"I can't. I'm sorry."

"So am I."

INT. SAM'S MOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

"Look, man, I get it, okay?" Dean said. "You meet a girl, you feel that spark - there's nothing better. But this freak?"

Sam grabbed his jacket and got up from the chair at the table.

"I didn't mean-" Dean trailed.

"Yeah, you did. Look, I see the way you look at me, Dean, like I'm a grenade and you're waiting for me to go off or beg for help from the monster. You look at Frankie like she's a damsel in distress even though you and I both know she's not like that."

"Sam-"

"I'm not gonna go off. Look, I might be a freak, but that's not the same as dangerous. Frankie's not some princess you have to save the big bag monster."

"I didn't say-"

"It's okay. Say it. I've spent a lot of my life trying to be normal, but come on. I'm not normal. Look at all the crap I've done. I'm a grade-A freak. But I'm managing it. And so is Amy."

"Is she? How?"

"She works at a damn funeral home so she doesn't have to kill anyone, Dean. She's figured out how to deal."

"Okay, well, then explain the bodies."

"She's done. Her kid was friggin' dying, Dean. Put you, Frankie or me in her position, we'd probably do the same thing. Look, you don't trust her. Fine. Trust me. Dean, please."

"Okay."

"Seriously?"

"Got to start somewhere, right?"

EXT. PARKING LOT IN FRONT OF BIGGERSON'S RESTAURANT - DAY

Dean was on the phone. Sam was walking towards him, shopping bags in hand.

Dean spoke into the phone. "Bozeman. Right. Got it. Thanks." He looked to his brother. "That was Bobby. We'll hole up in Spokane tonight. We'll meet him and Frankie tomorrow. Why don't you drive?" He tossed Sam the keys to the Impala.

"You gonna punch me again?" Sam asked.

INT. IMPALA, OUTSIDE MOTEL - DAY

"Hey, why don't, uh - why don't you check us in?" Dean suggested. "I got to hit the candy store." He held up a bottle of pills. "Doctor's orders."

Sam got out of the car. Dean slid over to the driver's seat and drove off.

INT. AMY'S MOTEL - DAY

Amy entered. Dean was sitting on the couch in her room.

"Next time you run, you should change your license plates," Dean said. "Keeping the same tags makes you easy to track."

"Who are-" Amy began.

"I'm Sam's brother. And you are Amy Pond, the Bozeman mortician who went missing. There's people looking for you."

"Sam sent you?"

"Sam doesn't know I'm here."

"But he told you. My son-"

"I know. I know. But people... They are who they are. No matter how hard you try, you are what you are. You will kill again."

"I won't. I swear."

"Trust me, I'm an expert. Maybe in a year, maybe ten. But eventually, the other shoe will drop. It always does." He stabbed Amy. "I'm sorry."

Dean caught Amy as she fell and lowered her to the bed. He removed his knife, then turned to see Amy's son Jacob standing at the door.

"You got someone you can go to?" Jacob nodded. "You ever kill anyone?" Jacob shook his head. "Well, if you do, I'll come for you."

"The only person I'm gonna kill is you," Jacob said.

"Well, look me up in a few years. Assuming I live that long."

Dean held up his hands, one still holding the knife, and walked towards the door. Jacob hurried past his mother's body. Dean paused at the door and watched them.

INT. WHITEFISH, MT. GAS & SIP STORE - DAY

The possessed man said into the phone, "Yes, sir. Sam Winchester was definitely here. Yes. Every alias we have for them, and I'll find out where they went from here. I'm only a couple days behind them. Just grabbing a bite first." The clerk was tied to a chair and gagged. "Do you know what I find? Plain old people taste fine, but everything is better... with cheese."

The possessed man poured a pot of hot cheese over the clerk. The clerk screamed and the possessed man's mouth transformed: it enlarged, his teeth became long and jagged, and a two-pronged tongue protruded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 44 33
Eden Harrison went crazy. Or so she was told. Years before, she foresaw two men who would bring about the apocalypse, but would ultimately stop it...
114 0 5
Hallie wasn't quite like her brother, but they did share some similarities. For years, she'd heard tales of the American Hunters and their reckless w...
82.7K 1.6K 187
She should have died. But instead, a green-eyed man saved her. Alana Thomas and Dean Winchester begin hunting together. He's her sight and she's his...