Forever Young

By LillyBeanLove

Twilight fanfiction She is alone. She is wild. She is one of a kind. She is forever young. She's never had a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Sequel!

Chapter 3

5.2K 106 7
By LillyBeanLove

I waited by the river until it got dark. It was the second day that Renesmee had not come to meet me. I told myself that I was being silly. That I shouldn't be upset over not seeing a girl I had only met twice before.

But that was two times more than I had ever met anybody else.

As the last glimmer of light faded from the sky, I sighed and lowered myself out of the tree.  I couldn't just sit in place anymore. I considered swimming, but the air in Washington got cold as the sun went down. Half vampire or not, if I stepped into that river now, I would come out shaking. Already, I could see my breath in the air, escaping in misty white puffs.

I would have to go and steal a jacket soon. Maybe the Washington forests, so vast and far from civilization, weren't as ideal as I had once thought.

My mind wandered to the wolves. I had promised myself that, for Renesmee's sake, I wouldn't mess with them again. But that didn't mean I couldn't observe them... From a distance. Aside from Renesmee, they were the most interesting thing I had come across so far.

I easily found the trail that led back in the direction I had originally come from. The frequent rain had washed away any footprints- or pawprints- but both my own scent and the wolves' scents still hung lightly in the mud and surrounding leaves. Once I got close enough to find the most recent trail left by the wolves, I masked myself with my power and took to the trees. 

They were gathered in a big group next to the water. Some sat, looking around at the different pack members, while others paced around.  It almost looked like a meeting, but no words were being spoken. The only sounds coming from them were occasional low grumbles.

Before, I had been running from them, and hadn't bothered to count how many there were. Now I realized that there were a lot- I counted fifteen, and at least two were missing, because I had noticed them during our first encounter. The wolf called Jacob wasn't there, either. 

With a pack that large, I was lucky that I hadn't been cornered the other night. From what Renesmee had said, these animals actually posed a real threat to vampires. Of course, she had told Jacob not to hurt me if he saw me. She had promised me that as we sat in our treehouse and talked. But her promise had been followed by an annoyed sigh and a pointed look as she told me that her entire family thought I was her imaginary friend.

I knew her look meant she wanted me to introduce myself to her family. To be a real friend and defend her. But I had just looked away from her eyes, suddenly finding my dirty and tattered dress interesting. There was no way I was approaching her family.

But there was also no way I was going to admit to being afraid. So I simply didn't answer. Eventually she had changed the subject.

I was glad they thought I was fake anyway. It made me much safer. 

In the distance, there was a howl, and the large black wolf responded back with a howl of his own. I listened as the distanced howls got nearer, until suddenly Jacob ran up with two other wolves. 

Eighteen. That made eighteen wolves in total. Maybe more.

Maybe coming here hadn't been such a great idea.

I tried to push myself lower on the branch, though I was already laying flat on my tummy. Giant wolves who eat vampires. Of course those were a thing. And just my luck, that my entire life I was the strongest thing I had ever come across, and then in the course of three days I discover both vampires and werewolves who could kill me. And for the very first time in my life I actually had a friend, so I didn't want to leave the danger zone.

Smart. Real smart.

I watched as Jacob approached the pack confidently. He was bigger than most of the wolves. Only the pure black wolf seemed like it may be big enough to rival him. There seemed to be no animosity though, and Jacob nodded to the black wolf as he approached and the black wolf nodded back. 

Without warning, Jacob's body shook so hard that it began to blur. So quickly that even my own mostly-vampire eyes couldn't keep up, the big wolf began to morph and change shape.  In place of the wolf stood a man- or a boy. I wasn't sure which he was. But he was naked.

I gasped. Then, realizing my own stupidity, I smacked my hand over my mouth- making even more noise. I squeezed my eyes shut in frustration with myself, then realized I needed them to be open in case of an attack. But nobody seemed to hear me. The other wolves were changing now, turning into humans themselves as they laughed and shouted and reached for the backpack Jacob had dropped from his ankle when he shifted.

I averted my eyes. Though I had never had to worry much about nudity because I had never been around anyone else, that had also meant I had never worried about seeing someone else naked. Especially a teenage boy.

"You better save me some of that food. I'm the one who brought it!" Jake's voice sounded sharp as he threatened the other boys, who were reaching into the bag. I decided to use their distraction to my benefit, and turned to leave. One last glance behind me confirmed that the bag was almost completely empty now, and I needed to get away quickly, before the distraction was gone.

Despite my hurry, a cold gust of wind made me freeze just as I prepared to jump from the branch. My ability to control wind made me incredibly sensitive to it, and I could feel the powerful current that carried this wind, feel the buzz of energy within it.

A storm was coming. And I had no coat, or real shelter.

Even more hurried now, I raced back to my treehouse as fast as I could. It had no walls, no ceiling. If I ran, would I be able to get far enough away to miss the storm? With how powerful the wind would become soon, I would likely lose control of it before I got far enough away, and wouldn't be able to run as quickly if I wasn't using the wind to help push me forward.

Or maybe I could go just go a little ways away. Just far enough that I could get a good, strong fire going without fear of the nearby vampires and werewolves seeing.  But was that a risk I could take? The scent of smoke was powerful. And unless I moved closer to where the wolf pack was currently located, the smoke would be pulled downwind, towards the Cullens house. 

No. My only hope was to do what I could with my shelter. I quickly started gathering large branches, leaning them on eachother to build walls and a roof over the platform Renesmee and I had created. I then covered the branches with a layer of mud, hoping that would prevent the leaves from blowing away, exposing me to the storm. 

As the sounds of thunder rolled towards me, I climbed into the shelter, hoping the mud had enough time to dry and form an extra layer of protection. I was so, so stupid. Why hadn't I been working on my shelter over the last two days instead of sitting down by the river, staring at the path Renesmee had used before? Why hadn't I noted how eerily calm the wind had been, leading up to a huge, charged storm? Why hadn't I gone in search of materials I knew I needed to live in such a rainy area?

The wind started to blow hard, and I knew almost immediately how bad the situation was. Some of the branches holding up the makeshift ceiling began to topple, causing the branches above me to hit me hard as they fell. I felt one of the sharper pieces cut into my cheek, and I smelled the scent of my own blood. I wasn't too worried, though- I was a very quick healer.

The wind, though, was  a big issue. With my shelter falling in, the storm was hitting me hard, a mix of rain and large hail slamming into me. I curled into the fetal position, trying to protect myself from falling branches as well as the cold. I grabbed onto the branches nearest to me, somehow hoping they could still help to protect me despite having lost all their mud and leaves.

I counted to sixty in my head. One minute. I was still okay. 

Then I counted to sixty again. See? I had survived another minute. Just one minute at a time. I only needed to focus on getting through one minute at a time.

I had county to sixty more than a hundred times, and the weather only seemed to be getting worse. I put my hands up to try and curb the wind, to try and stop it from pounding into me so forcefully. But, as suspected, it was just too strong. I had no control.

Somehow, the storm just kept getting worse and worse. Windier and windier. Colder and colder. I tried in vain to use my power to create a small fire, just enough to warm me. But even my fire wasn't strong enough to rival this wind. Even if I hadn't been weak and shaking, I doubted I could have done much against such a terrible storm. 

Suddenly, there was a painful vibrating sensation throughout my entire body, and a loud crack. I felt a sense of weightlessness before I realized that I was falling. Fast.

Just before hitting the ground, I braced myself, allowing my hands and knees to take the brunt of the fall as I landed in the mud. I felt one of the straps of my dress rip, causing one side of my dress to fall off my shoulder. 

On my hands and knees, I turned to look at the tree I had just been in. A huge branch had fallen onto what had once been my little treehouse, and both of the branches that had been supporting the platform were now gone, fallen to the ground a few feet away from me. The rest of the branches that I had used as the floor, walls and ceiling were scattered around the area. 

I huddled under the tree, trying to remember to constantly look above me. I needed to move fast if a branch came falling in my direction. The tree didn't provide very good shelter, but at least it had an upward-facing root that was poking up and out of the cold mud. I sat on that, huddling into myself as I tried to warm up, even a little. 

I counted to sixty.

Again. 

And again. 

And again. 

Then I realized that I may not actually survive another minute. I needed shelter. 

Or... a coat.

Renesmee probably had a coat. And a hat. And boots. And a waterproof sleeping bag. Maybe even a tarp. 

Still, though, I hesitated. Renesmee had the ability to see through my power. I wasn't able to mask myself with invisibility when it came to her. What if the rest of her family was the same way? What if I walked straight into a house full of vampires, and they were all immediately aware of my presence?

A blast of lightening hit a tree near me, and I felt the ground shake as I fell over. I quickly stood, racing towards Renesmee's house.

If I didn't go for help, I would die anyway. 

I ran as long as I dared before using my power to turn myself invisible. I was so tired, I was worried I may pass out before reaching the house. My entire body was shaking. Still, I had to be cautious as I approached. Though my scent was masked, any sounds I made would still be heard. 

It wasn't too hard to figure out which room was Renesmee's. Most of the lights in the house were on and the curtains were open wide. But one window had more childish curtains that were cracked open- and from the crack I could see a faint glow. 

A nightlight. She had told me she was scared of the dark.

I silently jumped up, landing quietly on the tiny balcony.  I waited to see if the noise had been detected, but the thunder and wind served as a good cover. Slowly, I cracked the window open. Then another inch. Then another.

A freezing gust of wind hit me, and I thought I was going to die of exposure on the spot. Still, I made myself go slow, made my teeth stay firmly pressed together to avoid making a chattering sound. I absolutely could not be detected.

Finally, finally- the window was opened enough for me to squeeze through. I closed it mostly behind me, though I left it open a crack. I was afraid of the thud that may result from me closing it completely, or the squeak of a lock falling into place.

Renesmee's room was pretty. As I stepped further in, I realized I had never actually been in a house. Anything I had ever taken had been strung up on laundry lines.

I glanced at the bed and hesitated. Should I wake her up? Was she still upset with me, for not making myself known to her family? Was she even capable of waking up to somebody in her room, even somebody she knew, without making a startled noise?

I decided it would be best to just go into her closet and take what I needed. I didn't want to take any chances, and it wasn't as if I was actually stealing. For the first time, I was planning on returning the clothing I took, even if that just meant leaving it on the dock for her to find the next morning. 

The closet door had a doorknob. I had hoped it would be the kind you could just pull open, without the dangerous squeal of a doorknob lingering. Looking down, I tried to assess exactly what I would need before opening the closet. I needed to be as efficient as possible.

All I wore was a dress, covered with small rips and dirt stains. I would need a coat, especially now that a strap was hanging off my shoulder. And maybe boots, but I had never worn real shoes before, and wasn't sure I wanted to start. I reached up to feel my head, to see if it was still bleeding. The cut seemed to be closing well enough, but my hand brushed over my ears, noting how cold they were.

A hat. I definitely needed a hat.

I reached for the doorknob, and froze as a squeak jolted through the room. My eyes widened at the unfairness. I hadn't even touched the door yet!

Another squeak sounded behind me. I turned slowly.

Renesmee was sitting up in her bed, looking at me. She opened her mouth, ready to ask a million questions. I shook my head sharply, bringing my finger up to my lips as I glanced at her door. I hear a murmuring voice downstairs, and a soft laugh in response. 

I felt my lip pull up a little. Vampires.

Renesmee followed my eyes, glancing at the door. Her eyes flickered back to my face, and I could see that she understood. She nodded and slowly stood. I saw her frown at me, staring at my feet. 

Oops. I hadn't even noticed the mud and water that I had trailed into her bedroom. It led all the way from the windowsill, past her bed, to the door of her closet. Renesmee swung the door open, seeming to know exactly how to open it without making it squeak. She pulled out a pair of boots, a long raincoat, and a knitted hat.

There was a sudden pounding somewhere in the house. It took me a second to realize exactly what it was- footsteps coming up the stairs. Quickly. At a speed faster than a human could ever hope to manage. 

I didn't even bother to grab the clothes. I bolted to the window, throwing it open and launching myself from the window seat to the roof. The rain and wind hit me immediately, but I hardly noticed it now. I tried to focus on my power, masking my scent and making myself invisible.

I heard Renesmee running over to the window just as her bedroom door opened. I heard her hands touch the window sill as she no doubt put her weight on it to lean out, trying to find me in the darkness.

And I heard the moment she spun around at the sound of an angry voice.

"Renesmee Carlie Cullen!"

I held my breath as I listened to her stammer, trying to explain herself. "But... but I was just talking to my friend. She was just here, Mama!"

So this was Bella. Renesmee's Mother. 

Bella was obviously upset. "Enough, Renesmee! How many times this week have you been caught up after bedtime? How many times have you tried to push your behavior off on some friend that isn't real? Having an imaginary friend is one thing Renesmee, but telling fibs like that is not acceptable. And look at this mess all over the floor! Come over here, right now." 

Renesmee was crying now. I wanted to intervene. I knew I should. 

"No, Mama," Renesmee begged. "Please don't give me a spanking, I promise its the truth. It is!" 

Bella started counting. I wasn't sure what the numbers meant exactly, but I felt my anxiety growing with each number. 

"1..."

I needed to stop this.

"2..."

But I couldn't. Whatever was about to happen to Renesmee would be nothing compared to them literally killing me.

"3!"

Renesmee's cries grew louder as I heard Bella step towards her, pulling her along in the direction of the bed. I heard a scratching sound, like something was being lifted off the nightstand next to the bed. 

"No, Mommy, please!"

I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped using my power, feeling my visibility snap back at me like a rubber band. I threw myself off the roof and pulled myself into the bedroom window again.

"Wait!" I cried. "She's telling the truth! It was all my fault, I'm sorry!"

The woman who must have been Bella froze as she stared at me from her seat on the bed. She was very pretty, but younger than I imagined. My eyes slowly moved to the wooden hairbrush she was holding in her hand. It had been on Renesmee's nightstand before her Mother came in. 

Renesmee was standing between her Mother's legs, and turned to look at me, tears still streaming down her face. 

The brush looked big. And painful. I decided that no matter what happened to me, my admission was worth getting Renesmee out of trouble... as long as she didn't use that brush on me.

Bella slowly lowered the implement.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled again, looking down. The floor did look really, really bad. I wasn't sure if the stains could ever be cleaned out.

Another vampire suddenly appeared in the room, this one seeming several years older. He still held the same young, perfect appearance that I imagined all vampires possessed. He looked at me, his eyebrows spiking up. 

"Grandpa, tell Mama not to spank me!" Renesmee's voice irritated me now. I was probably on the brink of death, and she was still whining about a punishment when her Mother had already lowered the brush. 

"Sorry." Could I not say anything else? "I'll... I'll just leave. Bye." I quickly turned to the window again, willing to face the storm outside if it meant escaping this situation. I rushed to stand on the windowseat, crouching to throw myself as far away as possible. 

A hand grabbed the back of my dress before I could move. Then the hands moved to under my arms, lifting me off my feet and placing me back in the bedroom. 

The man Renesmee had called 'Grandpa' -Carlisle?- let go of me, turning to close the window. With Bella standing between me and the door and Carlisle standing between me and the window, I was trapped. I turned to see more and more vampires gathering in the doorway. I slowly began backing away, knowing I was just cornering myself further.

My back hit a wall.

I heard my breath coming out in gasps as Carlisle approached me. Bella had stood from her position on the bed, pulling Renesmee behind her. 

How quickly she had gone from punishing to protecting.

I let out a loud growl as Carlisle continued his approach. It was the first time I had ever felt the need to release a real sound of warning- usually if another creature approached me, I would just kill it. Now, though, I was sure that lunging at the Patriarch of this massive coven would be a death sentence. An even faster death sentence than the one currently coming my way, anyway.

Another sound escaped me, and this one was supposed to be more of a snarl, I think. It came out as more of a wounded animals's cry, though. 

"It's alright, little one." Carlisle's words, meant to be soothing, were anything but. Why was he so calm? Why was his voice so even? Was this a strategic approach to catch me off guard with an attack?

His hand reached out to touch me. Another snarl escaped me, this one stronger, as I moved forward, my teeth angrily snapping at him. As he pulled his hand away, I took my opportunity, seeing an open path. Leaping over him, I sailed towards the window. 

I would have made it. I was right there. But he had closed the window, and I needed to open it. I had never been inside a house before, and had no idea how to unlatch a window lock. With my hesitation, I lost a  fraction of a second.  

That was all he needed. 

Carlisle came up behind me, pressing my back against his body. I snarled and bucked wildly, but his arms were around me, easily restraining me. A shrieking sound escaped me, and I tried to turn my head to snap at him, but he expertly held my head in place with a tight hand around my chin.

My shrieks turned into whimpers. I was terrified, but needed to calm down. I needed to think.

 My powers. Which of my powers could held me right now? 

I tried to summon fire, but I was still too weak. My attempts to reach out for the wind were useless, with my powerful storm outside forcing the electric currents to move too quickly for me to latch on to. Water would do no good against vampires. And Earth... what could soil and plants do to save me right now?

I turned invisible.

 If I did escape Carlisle's grasp, it would do me no good if they just reached for me again.

I heard a few gasps as I disappeared from sight. But Carlisle's arms didn't budge, holding me steady. My attempts to elbow him away weren't working, either.

"It's okay!" The only voice I truly recognized is what diverted my attention away from Carlisle. Renesmee was straining against her Mother's hold, trying to reach me. "They're nice, they won't hurt you! I promise Grandpa won't hurt you!" Her eyes met mine, and I could see that she held full confidence in her words.

I stopped struggling. I was too tired, too hopeless. Even if I didn't fully believe Renesmee's words, I knew there was no escape. His arms were like chains around me- the only chains in the world that could restrain me. 

"That's a lovely little gift you've got there," Carlisle said, looking down at me. "But can you make yourself visible again, please, Love? I'd like to check on your injuries.

I hesitated. Making myself visible again would cost me my very last defense. But wouldn't my best chances of survival be to do as he said? To not anger him?

I faded back into sight, allowing them to see me. 

***(Yikes. Sorry for the cliffhanger lol. But now that she's met the Cullens, the story can REALLY get started. Vote and comment if you're enjoying the story!)***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.4K 871 25
IMMORTALIS Over many years ago, the great witch Ravenna has a vision centuries from her time seeing two star crossed lovers outside their bloodline h...
216K 5.9K 43
-CURRENTLY UNDER EDITING!- Renesmee had a twin that everyone loved. but she was more human and they had to give her up. Renesmee loved her sister- in...
1.6M 50K 87
***THIS STORY IS FOUR YEARS OLD; SO TROPES AND IDEAS MIGHT SEEM REPETITIVE FOR THE FANDOMS NOW*** Bambi Swan has always been 'different', branded cra...
34.6K 918 15
(Twilight ff, it will not be following the storyline as I'll began writing from after the fight with the Volturi and Renesmee is about 7 years old) C...