The Third Rule

By whateverittakes827

Bucky has to follow three simple rules, don't break the law, don't hurt anyone, and lastly to make amends. P... More

BACKGROUND
~ONE~
~TWO~
~THREE~
~FOUR~
~FIVE~
~SEVEN~
~Eight~

~SIX~

884 45 31
By whateverittakes827

Peter POV

The vigilante didn't sleep at all that night, after about two hours of staring at his ceiling he gave up completely. He tried to fix Karen, but when that didn't work he resorted to watching Star Wars on his beat-up laptop he found in the dumpster a few months back.

He couldn't focus on the movies though, not even his favorite part when Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie are stuck in the trash compactor. An uneasy feeling settles over him like a scratchy and uncomfortable blanket. The lady's words still haven't left his head, and neither has James. Who was she? How were they connected? Who the hell is James?

That's what Peter can't figure out. Peter searched all of the recent employment records in Queens, James wasn't on any of them. He said he was in the army, so he could be doing some badass undercover things, but then why would he be at Delmar's for lunch?

It certainly doesn't help any that the lady knows who Peter is. What else does she know about him? She could know anything, his aunt, his school, his friends. Heck, if she really wanted to she could tell the whole world who Spider-Man is. But she hasn't, not yet at least. So what is stopping her?

The rest of the night, Peter stared at his computer screen uncomprehendingly. All he could think about is James and the lady, and with each new question, fear grows in the pit of his stomach and slowly takes him over until he can hardly breathe.

...

The next day, Peter warily goes to work. By eleven o'clock he already messed up two orders. His brain couldn't stop jumping to the girl with black hair and James. He must've checked the clock at least ten times since he got to work. He's been counting the seconds until it is time for Jame's lunch.

Maybe he could confront him? Or just get some more information? But what if James is bad? If the girl didn't know his identity, he would've ignored it. It's too personal now.

When the bell over the door rings signaling the entrance of a customer, Peter actually jumps. His stomach flips as the man walks towards the cash register. He is sporting the same leather jacket and gloves he usually does.

"Hey, Peter," He greets kindly.

The teen takes a deep breath and tries to push the fear and confusion from his eyes, "Hi, James."

"The usual please," James squints his eyes and focuses on Peter's face. It's as if the boy's heart stops beating and his whole body freezes.

Peter holds back a flinch when James opens his mouth, "Are you alright, kid?"

"Oh, uh, of course! I'm just going to go make you a sandwich now because that's my job and you ordered a sandwich," The boy sighs, and his shoulders sag. Way to be subtle, Spider-Man. Luckily, James just lets out a small laugh.

In a short minute, Peter hands James the sub and he goes to sit at his usual table. The young hero walks over to Murph and gently pets his fur, "Where do you work again?"

"I work at Queens County Savings Bank a few blocks from here."

He is lying. The only reason he knows that is because no one named James has been hired at the bank in four years. His poker face is real good though. Too good, it's concerning. Maybe he is undercover on a secret mission? Maybe he works for the girl with black hair? Maybe James knows Peter's secret too. He really hopes that is not the case.

"What did you do before that?"

James blinks and finishes chewing the bit of sandwich, "I worked at a bank in Brooklyn. Exciting stuff, really," he jokes.

I crack a fake smile and nod. After several more minutes of tense small talk, James is done and walking back to 'work', not before leaving a generous tip of course.

The bell rings again a solid ten minutes after James leaves. Peter's heart stops beating for a second time that day. His Spidey-Sense tingles at the base of his neck and he can hardly breathe.

The woman is wearing six-inch heels with a tight pencil skirt and leather jacket. She slowly removes the sunglasses from her face and looks around the room. Her eyes settle in the corner. Peter follows her gaze to a security camera.

Quickly, Peter taps his wrist, and his web-shooters form around his hand. With a few more strides, she is standing right in front of the counter.

"We don't have much time, Peter. I disabled the cameras for only a few minutes," She looks around, "That man, James, he's not who you think he is."

Peter's eyes narrow, "And why should I trust you?"

Her lips quirk into a small smirk, "I know you are Spider-Man, and I haven't done anything about it. I haven't told anyone, I haven't tried to find your family or friends."

"Ok, so then who is James?"

The lady crosses her arms, "I can't tell you here. Not enough time" She pulls out a slip of paper, "Meet me here. Right after your shift."

Peter hesitantly takes the paper from her hands and watches as she makes her way to the door, shooting one last look over her shoulder before pushing her way out.

The top off the card reads Olivia Black in bold letters. That must be the girl. Under that there is an address, Peter doesn't recognize the street name, but he isn't surprised. He tucks the card into his pocket.

...

The rest of his shift is agonizing. Each minute feels like an hour, and each time the bell sounds, he jumps out of his skin. What does Olivia want with him? What did she mean about James?

The back door to the kitchen opens sending Peter into panic again. He relaxes slightly upon realizing it is just Mr. Delmar ready to take over for Peter's shift. Thank god.

As soon as he is out of the sub shop, Peter changes into his suit becoming Spider-Man. It's true, the anonymity of the suit does give him more confidence. Unfortunately, his anonymity is slightly compromised.

He finds the address quickly, it appears to be a Coffee shop, but judging by the lack of business it is most definitely not. Peter does a quick scan of the building before entering.

"Hello, Peter," that same voice says. The room is empty besides a couple of tables and chairs. Olivia stands in a door frame, undoubtedly leading to some secret operation room, "Let's get started. We have a lot to cover."

The young hero follows the woman back into the room. Boy was he right. Inside the other room are computers and holograms. Peter's eyes widen, and he can't help but be excited by the various pieces of tech.

"As I'm sure you've figured, I'm Olivia Black. I'm the director of The Enhanced Monitoring Unit, otherwise known as EMU. We are a secret branch of the FBI that keeps track of all enhanced individuals, including those that nobody knows about. It's my job to make sure all of them are accounted for to ensure the safety of America," The woman leans against a table, "You don't have to keep your mask on," She adds as an afterthought.

Peter nods and slowly removes it, "What's your angle? Are you trying to kill me? Or help me?"

She smiles, showing off her big white teeth, "It's not that simple, Peter. But to put it simply, no. We are not trying to do either. We were created by the president himself after the blip to ensure that all enhanced beings are known to the government. If one becomes dangerous, we will attempt to stop it before the Avengers destroy the world. If a situation becomes dangerous, we can ask for your help. In any case, you Peter, are not dangerous. We need your help."

Peter frowns and crosses his arms, "My help? Why? I'm a teenager from Queens! I have school, and work, and... why not call one of the Avengers? Like Falcon or Wanda?"

Olivia shakes her head, "Because it's not thier battle to fight, Peter."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Peter says in exasperation, tightening his grip on his arms.

Olivia stands from the table and taps a few buttons, "How much do you know about your parent's death, Mr. Parker."

All of the questions running through Peter's mind stop. It's as if he short-circuited. He hasn't talked about his parents in years. They died when he was only a few years old. Sure, he imagines what they were like, or what it would be like to have parents. Of course, he spent nights lying awake wishing he could be like other kids. He was used to it now, though. His parents died in a plane crash long ago.

"They died in a plane crash. What's it to you?" Peter snaps, his voice harsher than he knew he could make it.

"Everything." Olivia clicks a few more buttons, "Besides Peter. You are wrong. James, that guy that started going to the Mr. Delmar's a few weeks ago, he's actually a HYDRA special ops agent. He killed your parents, Mr. Parker, and now he is looking for you."

Peter's mouth falls open and he can't physically form a coherent word in his brain. A picture of his parents runs through his mind. His mouth goes dry. He doesn't need to say anything though, a video comes up showing a man who looks like James. His hair is a little longer and his eyes a little darker. Nonetheless, it is James. The camera flips, it looks like a body cam almost.

Peter watches in horror as the camera moves up a plane aisle. Peter is still frozen when the man tightens his hand around his dad's neck. He is frozen in horror when his mom pleads for his father's life. He is frozen in anger when their lifeless bodies slump forward.

It's only a few minutes after the video cuts out that he feels the wetness on his cheeks and the hollow feeling in his stomach.

Olivia speaks, "He is a super-soldier. We need your help." It takes a moment for Peter to put the sounds together, to actually comprehend what she is saying.

He lifts his head, looking directly into the woman's eyes, a faint smile dances across his lips.

When Peter finally speaks his voice is full of anger and deep determination, "I am going to kill him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.8K 1.4K 21
Spider-Man. Who would have thought saving people was a big no-no with the government. Wanted by the big man upstairs, Fury has no option but to put h...
47K 1.6K 25
Being a Stark isn't always easy. Being Spider-man also isn't always easy. And being both is a handful. This is the life of Peter Stark, son of a b...
128K 5.8K 48
Peter, his only friends are MJ and Ned. They are completely supportive of the fact he enjoys to dress up like a girl and act like an innocent child. ...
472K 16.5K 67
"𝐇𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐫 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝐓𝐨𝐧𝐲 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐤?" [mature themes throughout] DISCLAIMER...