Re:Zero FF Beatrice Heart Cro...

By mangocannon

A slice of life story following the events in the Forbidden Library near the end of Arc 4. It explores the in... More

Chapter 1: Imagine Castle
Chapter 2: Magic and the Sea
Chapter 3: The Light in Her Eyes
Chapter 4: In Lieu of a Dream
Chapter 5: A Girl and Her Sweets
Chapter 6: A Village of Boredom
Chapter 7: The Perils of Fishing
Chapter 8: Old Castle, New Calamity
Chapter 9: The Peaceful Lake and The Warring Heart
Chapter 10: Under the Starlit Sky
Chapter 11: The Girl Who Wanted Nothing
Chapter 12: The Boy That Chose Her
Chapter 13: Breaking Bread and Building Boundaries
Chapter 14: A Shoulder to Smile On
Chapter 15: The Planning Party Commences
Chapter 16: In Hope of a Purr-fect Sleepover
Chapter 17: Finding Trees in a Forest
Chapter 18: A Resplendent Reunion
Chapter 19: By Your Side is Where I Need to Be
Chapter 20: The Festival Begins!
Chapter 21: The Show of a Lifetime
Chapter 22: Look to the Sky
Chapter 23: Tears of the Heart
Chapter 24: Farewell to a World

Epilogue: Home is Where you Make it

559 15 2
By mangocannon

A few months had passed since the tear in the sky had been resolved and with those months came many good memories for Subaru and Beatrice. Their lives had returned to the usual laid-back pace that they had become accustomed to. On a particular day, Subaru had requested that Beatrice meet him in the afternoon for an impromptu date. Subaru was wearing dark brown slacks with black shoes that complemented his cream button up shirt. He had rolled up his sleeves and was patiently waiting at the base of the stairs for Beatrice. The small spirit had donned a white sleeveless sundress that had a crimped frilly skirt that fluttered behind her as she descended the staircase. She had decided to forgo her normal stockings and instead wore a pair of matte white flats. With her flaxen hair flowing behind her, she looked to be the epitome of summer style. After locking eyes with Subaru and seeing the warm smile on his face, Beatrice naturally placed her hand in his and the couple made their way to the foyer and out of the castle. As they made their way towards the trail near the castle, Beatrice attempted to make small talk.

Beatrice: "You look very nice today, I suppose."

Subaru: "Thanks, Beako. I had to at least try to keep up with you. You look beautiful all the time."

Beatrice rolled her eyes as she smiled at his words and continued.

Beatrice: "Niki says it will start getting colder out soon, in fact. We will have to start wearing heavier clothes, I suppose."

Subaru: "Yeah, I had heard the same thing in the village. I would say that we've had a pretty fun warm season though."

Beatrice: "'Fun' is one way to put it, I suppose."

Subaru naturally took Beatrice's hand as they transitioned to the rugged terrain of the trail and continued towards the forest. The sun was visible through the few clouds that hovered against the cerulean backdrop and bought out the fresh green undertones of the verdant grasslands as they walked hand in hand with no particular destination. As a soft breeze rolled towards them, Beatrice closed her eyes and smiled as the winds buffered against her face and caused her hair to dance behind her. Subaru held a placid smile as he felt his gaze drawn towards the girl. As she finished basking in the pleasant weather, Beatrice opened her eyes and met his gaze. An awkward hesitation caused the couple to blush, yet they allowed their gazes to linger. Beatrice meekly addressed the situation.

Beatrice: "Y-you do not have to stare so much, in fact."

Subaru: "S-sorry, Beako. I just thought that your smile looks nice. You seem really happy."

Beatrice: "Why wouldn't I be, I suppose. I am here with you, in fact."

Subaru: "I'm glad you are so honest... I'm glad to be here with you too."

The honest exchange caused mirroring feelings of warmth to spread throughout their chests. Subaru felt Beatrice's grip tighten against his hand as the small spirit attempted to move the conversation along.

Beatrice: "Erhem... Where are we going anyway, I suppose?"

Subaru: "Oh... Well, you told me before that this hillside was your favorite spot."

Beatrice: "Yes, that is true, in fact. Betty has only good memories of this place, I suppose."

Subaru: "Same here. I thought it would be a good spot to visit while it was still warm out."

Beatrice: "Indeed. It is a shame that we will not be able to have picnics here for some time, in fact."

While they continued their small talk, the trail began to rise as they approached the crux of the hillside. With only a few paces left, Subaru called out to Beatrice.

Subaru: "Beako."

Beatrice: "Yes, Subaru?"

Subaru: "What would you think about making one more good memory here while the weather is still good?"

Beatrice: "What do you-"

As if to answer the girl's question, they reached the top of the hill as a strong wind blew by. In the direction of the breeze, Beatrice could see that something was different about the hillside. Small posts had been placed and connected by various colors of ribbon which served as a perimeter for what she could only describe as a small festival. There were games and food carts strewn about and it appeared that the entire village was taking part in some sort of celebration. At the center of the area there were benches lined up in rows with spacing for a walkway leading to a small stage. Beatrice furrowed her brow as her eyes darted around the area in confusion before looking up to Subaru and raising her inquiry.

Beatrice: "What... What is all this, in fact?"

Subaru: "Do you remember when we were on the roof of the castle?"

Beatrice: "Indeed. Is this some sort of celebration for closing the tear, I suppose?"

Subaru: "Not quite. Do you remember what I promised you up there? Before we sealed the tear?"

Beatrice: "You... Irk!"

As the spirit recalled the fast paced conversations of that day, one particularly weighted topic stuck out in her head. As her cheeks began to glow with a crimson hue, Beatrice looked to Subaru and spoke with a quavering voice.

Beatrice: "Y-you said... Y-you said that you w-would... take care of B-betty... F-forever, I suppose..."

Subaru: "Right. Well I talked to Kobe and it turns out that there is a small ceremony that they do in the village... When I asked if we could move it out here, everybody pretty much pitched in to help make it happen."

Subaru's face was beginning to become flushed as he spoke. Beatrice quickly understood what the boy was implying and her hands began to shake as her mind spun in circles.

Beatrice: "W-why didn't you tell me, in fact? I would have dressed more... appropriately, I suppose..."

Subaru: "Kobe said we should wear what we are comfortable in. Besides, I was kinda worried that you would try to run..."

Hearing the words, Beatrice considered that he might be right. However, as her heart began to beat against her chest, she recognized the feeling not as fear or worry, but as excitement. Gazing at Subaru with a look of determination, she slowly replied.

Beatrice: "That is... not true, I suppose. Betty wants this... She's wanted it since that day on the rooftop, in fact."

Sensing the passion in her words, Subaru sported a beaming smile as he replied.

Subaru: "I see. Sorry for doubting you, Beako. Are you ready to do this?"

Beatrice: "I have never been more certain, in fact."

With their decision made, the couple confidently walked forward as Subaru began to wave at the familiar cat girl standing near the entrance to the festival. Niki jumped to her feet and began to signal the villagers to play their drums. The sounds echoed across the hillside and signalled the crowd to begin moving to the benches. Beatrice noticed that it seemed that everyone was waiting for her and Subaru to arrive, causing feelings of nervousness to swell within her. As her steps slowed, the warmth from Subaru's hand guided her forward. She focused on him and only him as they marched through the crowded area to rounds of applause and friendly shouts. Before long they had reached the head of the walkway to the stage. Beatrice's head was still spinning when she felt a small tug at her skirt. Looking down, she saw a familiar young cat girl with a flower wreath in her hands.

Mina: "Mama made this for you!"

Beatrice shakily took the offering before placing it on her head. Before she could offer her thanks, Mina proudly called out to her.

Mina: "Ohh, pretty! You gotta follow me now, kay?"

As she spoke, Mina picked up a nearby basket that appeared to be slightly too large for the girl and began to stumble forward while reaching into the basket to retrieve handfuls of flower petals. The cat girl paved the way as she tossed the petals along the pathway. Beatrice was about to bask in the cuteness of the scene when she felt Subaru begin to move forward. Approaching the stage, Subaru's hand began to shake as he gently led Beatrice to the platform. From the higher elevation, they could finally get a clear view of the crowd. The local children and their parents were applauding while Ricardo watched with a stern smile. Standing atop the closest bench was Niki with her arms flailing while Adella stood at the cat girl's side with tears welling in her eyes. Subaru held back a chuckle as he thought about Adella's penchant for romance and how she reacted when he announced his intentions to her. While the ceremony seemed nonchalant, they could tell that everyone had put in the effort to make this possible. The feelings of kindness and charity were palpable as the crowd called out their support for the couple. The cheers began to subside as the sound of heavy footsteps came from the side of the stage. Dressed in dark green robes embroidered with caricatures of fish, Kobe positioned himself behind the couple and faced the audience. The village chief motioned for Subaru and Beatrice to take each other's hands. As they faced each other, Subaru could see tears forming in the corners of Beatrice's eyes and he could feel the burning sensation in his as well. This was it, this was the moment he longed for and he could tell that Beatrice shared in his anticipation. While the couple threatened to break into tears, Kobe's voice bellowed out to the audience.

Kobe: "Hello everyone! I reckon' y'all know why we are here, but I'll repeat it anyway! These two are finally getting married!"

Cheers filled the area while the two in question went rigid with embarrassment. Not ready to relent, Kobe continued.

Kobe: "Now, I can tell that these two want me to get this over quickly. I think we can all attest to their love. Seeing as they make it very apparent whenever they are around."

Cheers turned to laughter as Kobe continued to poke fun at the pair of crimson faces standing in front of him. Beatrice turned her eyes to Kobe and offered a nasty scowl in an attempt to stop any further harassment.

Kobe: "Oh! I better finish this before I get in trouble! So, Subaru, you love this little lady?"

Smiling at the absurd question, Subaru squeezed Beatrice's hands as he gave his response.

Subaru: "Yes, I do! More than anything!"

Kobe: "Good answer! So, little lady, what do you think of this guy?"

Beatrice met Subaru's gaze with enamored eyes as she confidently answered.

Beatrice: "He is my world, I suppose. I love him very much, in fact!"

Kobe: "Well done! So, in front of friends, family, the mighty forest, and the heavens above, I declare that these two are bonded in both heart and soul. You may now seal the bond with a kiss."

With the attention now directed at them, Subaru and Beatrice froze in shock. They were accustomed to kissing in private, but the thought of doing so in front of a crowd made them hesitate. The delay was bordering on awkward, when a yell echoed from the audience from none other than Ricardo.

Ricardo: "Kiss your wife, you idiot!"

Perhaps it was the advice he was given, or maybe the surprise from the yell. Regardless, Subaru leaned his face forward haphazardly as Beatrice raised her chin to meet him. The familiar comfort of her soft lips made his heart beat wild as waves of euphoria resonated through his chest. Beatrice felt her legs start to wobble as Subaru pulled her close and the tears streamed from her eyes. Time seemed to grind to a halt as their futures became woven into a single destination. And so, in front of the entire village of Wishleaf and one ornery head maid, Subaru and Beatrice upgraded their relationship to husband and wife against a sea of cheers and applause. The aftermath came at a rapid pace as they made their way around the festival to greet and give thanks to all of the friends who assisted in making their happiness a reality. The sun began to fall from the sky as the couple enjoyed music, food, and dance while never once letting the smiles disappear from their faces. Nightfall arrived as the celebration continued and Subaru and Beatrice ascended the hillside for a brief respite from the excitement. However, a certain head maid approached the couple with Niki in tow.

Adella: "Sorry to follow you, but I simply wanted to give you my congratulations."

Subaru: "Thanks, Adie. You know we still need you to take care of us though? I highly doubt it will be smooth sailing from now on."

Beatrice: "Indeed, I hope we can count on your support, in fact."

Displaying a softened smile, Adella bowed slightly as she spoke,

Adella: "Of course, Lady Beatrice and Master Subaru."

Subaru: "Wait, shouldn't I be 'Lord Subaru' now?"

The head maid's smile instantly became a grimace as she stared daggers into Subaru.

Adella: "Absolutely not."

Taking a step back, Subaru retreated and tried to change the subject.

Subaru: "So... uh... Niki, thanks for helping get everything arranged with the village."

The cat girl's ears twitched as she did a flamboyant bow before speaking.

Niki: "No thanks necessary! Niki was happy to do it!"

Beatrice: "I assume Kobe did most of the work, in fact."

With crocodile tears, Niki flailed her arms in protest as she confronted Beatrice.

Niki: "Best friend! How could ya be so mean! I really did work hard! It was so hard not to spill the beans to ya!"

Suddenly, Beatrice stepped forward and wrapped her arms around the cat girl, pulling her into a hug.

Beatrice: "T-thank you, I suppose. You are a good best friend, in fact."

Niki: "Purr... praise me more!"

While the two girls were locked in their embrace, Subaru and Adella began to whisper.

Subaru: "Did Beako just insult Niki so that she would get close enough to hug?"

Adella: "It appears that way... I must write this down for use later..."

After having a good laugh at the best friends, Adella took Niki by the hand and addressed her masters once again.

Adella: "Masters, we shall leave you to your privacy. Please join us once you have refreshed yourselves."

With small waves, Subaru and Beatrice said a temporary goodbye to their closest friends and were left alone on the hillside. Subaru took a seat in the grass with Beatrice by his side as they looked over the festival. Glowing lanterns shone against the star filled sky as the merriment commenced. Looking over at Beatrice, Subaru began to playfully whisper in the girl's ear.

Subaru: "You know, you really are my darling, now."

Beatrice: "Eh!?"

Spinning her head around to face him, Beatrice was shade of pink while she stammered out a response.

Beatrice: "W-well... Uh... Then you are my darling too, in fact!"

Unable to contain his laughter, Subaru fell backwards against the ground as he giggled childishly. Beatrice's eyes flashed with anger, but they quickly changed as she saw the unbridled joy that Subaru was feeling. They were able to be playful because of how happy they were, she thought as she laid back and rolled into Subaru's side. The boy shifted his weight so that they were facing each other once more and noticed that Beatrice's eyes were moistened as she stared into his. In that moment, a sharp sound echoed through the air as light cascaded across the hillside. Fireworks filtered into the sky one by one and offered a vibrant overlay to the already perfect evening. While Subaru was still focused on his beloved's eyes, something caught his attention and prompted him to speak.

Subaru: "Hey, Beako. Look, you can see the castle from here when the fireworks light up."

Focusing her attention in the direction of interest, Beatrice responded.

Beatrice: "So you can, I suppose."

Subaru: "You know, it made me think of our first day here. When we called it the Imagine Castle."

Beatrice: "Ah, yes, I remember that, in fact."

Subaru: "Well... I was thinking that that was kind of a dumb name. I'd like to call it something else from now on."

Beatrice looked back at Subaru with a confused expression as she waited for him to elaborate. The fireworks bursting in the background illuminated her hair and reflected off her eyes giving them a brilliant sheen. Subaru leaned in close to her face as he offered his answer.

Subaru: "Home."

As he spoke the word, he greedily took her lips. Unlike the display earlier, this kiss was neither nervous nor awkward. Subaru transmitted his resolve to etch their lives in this world as they walked forward together. He pulled her slender frame closer to his while the lights danced overhead. No matter what trials laid ahead, they would know that they both had each other. That knowledge alone would make any unease about the future pale in comparison to the anticipation of being able to have new experiences alongside one another. As they ended their kiss, Subaru and Beatrice realized that while their previous story as spirit and contractor had long come to a close, their new story as lovers had only just begun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

426 22 1
After Arc 7, Subaru is back to celebrate a party of peace between the kingdoms of the world, pushed by Vollachia and Lugunica to keep the peace. But...
283 18 6
Some there be that shadow kiss; Such have but a shadow's bliss. When you give your all for this, when it arrives, will your heart not be amiss? Natsu...
955 53 4
Due to a request made by a friend?... Relative? (By technicality) Zero decided to take a dive into World-4619 of Set 4. The world of Re: Zero. Howeve...
11.1K 253 9
You were just normal person with a normal life and you were just suddenly teleported to one of the most dangerous anime worlds with the original body...