Brother

By Lady_Shadowlette

Zion Rivers, a caring brother of four younger siblings and taking care of them at the age of 8. His mother le... More

Prologue

|One|: Just a "Normal" Day

21 1 0
By Lady_Shadowlette

I woke up and heard my phone going off. It was my alarm telling me that I should get everyone ready for school. I sat up then went to get myself ready. I showered, wore my café uniform and prepared breakfast and lunches for the kids. 

As I was preparing breakfast for them, I heard Nanami's alarm went off, alerting for the others to wake up. I looked at the time and it was five thirty in the morning. Their lunches have been packed and breakfast was served. 

"Morning Zion, everyone has been dressed," a soft voice spoke out.

"Morning Nanami, and thank you for waking them up," I spoke to her with a smile.

Romeo and Raven both went to eat first then I saw Liam clinging onto my leg. I smiled, even though he's now eleven, he's still very small. 

"Morning Liam," I went down to his height. 

"M-Morning Z-Zion," he spoke, twitching his mouth.

I lightly petted his head as he went to eat. I went to check on my father, who was asleep on the couch. I sighed as I cleaned the table of beer bottles so glass won't cut his feet nor my siblings. I hate my father, I really do, but he's nothing like my mother... At least, from what I remembered from that night. 

That memory from ten years ago replays in my head. Nanami's seven, the twins were three and Liam was just turned a year old. Nanami knew the truth when she heard me fighting against my father, but the younger three do not know, especially Liam. 

As I finished cleaning, it was time for them to go to school. Nanami walked Romeo and Raven to the high school since we live close to it. I took Liam to the middle school before I head to work. I graduated high school and all, but I would love to go to university, but it'll never happen when I take care of my siblings. I enjoy caring for them than doing studies for my own benefit. 

As I went to work, I met my co worker, Caroline. She was serving customers on her own, the business isn't really busy early in the morning till rush hour. Other than work wise, she's a nice girl. She is your usual blonde haired girl, but not your stereotype. 

"Morning Caroline,"

"Oh Zion, morning," she smiled towards me.

"How's handling things on your own?" I asked. 

"I'm okay, it's not busy, but it'll get the job done easier and faster with you around," she handed me the tray. 

I chuckled softly to her. She's our head waitress of the café while I'm the head waiter. Her charisma is what brings customers in. She tends to lead us to make the café a success. Customers love her, even the kids love her. Usually we'll have noisy kids from time to time. She calms them down by playing a small game with them and earn some sort of prize if they did it correctly.

As time passed, work got busy during rush hour. I checked the time, only three hours till I can clock out. I just do my usual, getting orders, make small talk with customers, refilling their drinks, serving their food and give the check. It's not as stressful as days before, but it does drain me. 

"Yo Zion, I'm gonna take over your last three hour shifts," someone spoke. 

"Huh? Why?" I asked. 

"You got siblings to care for right? You might as well take the offer," he smiled.

"You're something Zeke," I chuckled.

"Just looking out for my bro," Zeke chuckled as well. 

Zeke was another waiter and one of my friends from high school. He knows about my situation and usually tries to help whenever he can. 

"Thanks Zeke, I'll repay you back somehow," I spoke, giving him my last two orders. 

"Bring Nanami and the others with you here on the weekends, they're a big help to the café and the coworkers love them," Zeke lightly punched my chest.

"Deal," I replied.

As I went to clock out, I got into my car and went to pick up Liam. Nanami and the twins would be waiting too so I have to hurry. 

Once I got to the middle school, I saw Liam talking to two female students and a male student. I'm assuming that they're his friends and he was smiling too. Liam saw my car then waved them goodbye, running to my car. 

"Were those your friends Liam?" I asked.

"Yeah th-they're nice," Liam answered. 

"I'm glad," I smiled.

As I was driving, I went to go pick up Nanami and the twins from the high school. They were waiting by the front entrance and went up to me as soon as they saw me waiting for them. 

"Have a good day at school you three?" I asked them. 

"School's good, I'm part of the volleyball team!" Raven smiled. 

"I'm glad Raven, you'll be a great volleyball player," I smiled. 

"Thank you Zion," she smiled back. 

"I'm actually learning the guitar and violin, I'm think of becoming a musician." Romeo spoke. 

"A musician, you better invite us to your concerts then," I ruffled his head. 

"Of course I will," he slightly pouted. 

"What about you Nanami?" I looked at her.

"Well, I received a scholarship to Harvard for the medical field, which is what I wanted." Nanami smiled.

"Harvard? Congrats Nanami, I'm proud of you." I smiled. 

She hugged me as I hugged her back. She worked hard to get where she is and I have to be proud of her as a 'fatherly' figure. 

"Nanami!" a female voice yelled. 

"Oh, Mari!" Nanami turned. 

The girl named Mari panted from running and looked up at her. 

"You want to hang out with me and Jason today?" she asked. 

Nanami looked at me as if she was seeking my permission, which I nodded. 

"Sure," Nanami smiled. 

"Don't be out too late Nanami," I reminded her.

"I know Zion," she replied. 

I went into the car with the twins and drove them home. At this time, my father's out drinking again. I have the twins and Liam do homework while I prepare something for them to eat till it's time for me to go back to work.

"Zion, can I ask you for help on something," Raven asked. 

I looked at her and nodded. She came over and showed me a few math problems. I showed her how to do some of them.

"Now I understand, thanks Zion," she smiled. 

"Of course Raven, but go get your brothers, dinner's ready for you guys." I smiled back. 

She nodded then went to go get Liam and Romeo. I served their dinner on the table as I went back to changing into my uniform. As I was about to head out, I saw the three of them standing in front of me. 

"Do you three need something?" I asked.

"Be safe Zion and thank you for the meal," they said in unison. 

I smiled then hugged the three of them.

"I'll be safe, don't worry. You three be safe too, especially when Father comes home drunk..." I warned them. 

They nodded then went to their rooms. I went ahead and drove to work. I work as a waiter in this fancy restaurant, but I was recommended to work there by another high school friend. Their family owns the place and the atmosphere makes you feel like a rich businessman, but the food wasn't too expensive. 

"Hey Zion, you're earlier than usual tonight," a voice called out. 

I turned to look and saw Lucien. He's currently in university to be a surgeon from what I remembered him talking about. His family is loaded with cash and success with the business and medical field.

"It's been a long day Lucien, but it's going by quick," I told him. 

"I see, but how are your siblings, you need to bring them in here and you need to take a break with the working," Lucien sighed. 

"You know I have to keep working, Dad's not gonna work anytime soon." I sighed. 

"Still, I get that you need money, but I can always lend you money, so can my family." he spoke.

"I can't accept the money, I rather earn it Lucien," I smiled lightly.

"If you get into any trouble, you got me okay?" he lend his hand. 

I took his hand, nodding. 

"Of course."

  As time goes go, the restaurant was getting busier by each hour. Most were on date nights, special occasions, bachelor and bachelorette parties, and many more. We had someone proposing here as well which was a nice sight. 

When it was time for me to go home, which is around midnight. Lucien asked if he can stay over since he wants to see my siblings, especially Nanami when he heard me speaking about her scholarship. I nodded since he was a nice guy and my siblings enjoy being around him. 

I drove the both of us home and as I got to the door, I heard yelling which made me panic and opened the door quickly. I saw my father raising a beer bottle and saw Nanami on the ground protecting the three younger siblings. I dropped my things and rushed to restrain him. 

"You four get out now!" I yelled at them. 

Nanami took the others to where Lucien was. I removed the bottle out of his grasp and toss it away from his reach. 

"What the hell is wrong with you Dad?!" I yelled. 

"Your siblings are a fucking nuisance," he spoke drunklike.

"They're not a nuisance! They're your kids! Why attack them?!" I asked.

"Because you are all a disgrace! Because of all of you, your mother took off with another man!" he yelled. 

"You're still in love with that bitch who we should call 'Mom'?!" I growled. 

"Of course I do! Why the fuck do you think I'm drinking like this huh!?" he shoved me. 

"We're not coming home..." I turned away. 

I went to them and sighed. 

"Get in the car, we're going to Zeke's," 

Everyone nodded and headed into the car. Lucien stopped me. 

"Do you always live like this Zion...?" he asked me. 

I looked away, it's been like this for ten years and I don't know what to do anymore. Lucien gave me a hug as I hugged him back, crying onto his shoulder. The pain is unbearable. 

"Let it all out... You can stop being tough around me," he softly spoke to me. 

I felt warmth whenever I'm in his arms. Lucien has been supporting me and helping me get to where I am. I can't thank him enough for helping someone who is a burden like me. 

"Let's go, alright?" 

I sighed then nodded. 

As we go to Zeke's house, Lucien filled him in what was going on. He agreed to let us stay over as my siblings went to sleep in the guest rooms. Lucien and I agree to sleep in the living room. 

"It's about your father again huh..." Zeke spoke.

"Yeah, he was attacking them," I sighed. 

"You should really go to court so you can have custody of them," said Zeke. 

"I would, but I don't have a way to support them financially." I said softly. 

"You have me Zion, I can help with the finances," Lucien spoke up.

"I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I can ever accept that. I would need to find a way to repay you." I replied. 

The two of them helped me so much that I wished I can repay them. After the long talk, Zeke told me to not go to work and rest for the weekend. I was gonna argue with him, but knowing him, he wouldn't let me go. Same with Lucien with the restaurant. I agreed since they wanted me to rest. 

Zeke already head to bed as Lucien and I had to share a futon bed together. I went ahead and laid down as Lucien removed his dress shirt off, leaving him shirtless. I know Lucien tends to work out, but looking at him now, he's got a nice torso. Anyone could be lucky to go out with him. 

I never told Lucien, nor would I have the confidence to, but I kind of have feelings for him. I never revealed my sexuality with them. I am a bisexual man, but I just prefer guys more than girls. It's just taste wise. 

I love him, but I'm guessing he's straight so he wouldn't go for someone like me. 

"Zion? Earth to Zion?" a voice spoke out. 

I looked and saw Lucien having a worried look on his face. 

"You okay? I called your name a few times,"  he spoke. 

"I'm okay, just in deep thought." I replied. 

He pulled me into him, having his head on my shoulder. 

"Zion, if you alone or need anything, please come to me first alright," he said softly. 

His words were so assuring. I know he would help, but I can't depend on him all the time. For the time being, I do need him just to make me feel safe and loved.

"Alright, I will.." I answered. 

I hope for everything to be slightly better during my days off, meaning I can treat my siblings out for the best time for those days. Thank you Zeke... I owe you one... Big time...

Author's Message

Hi hi! Thank you for reading Chapter One! I'm sorry if this is a bit short or seems short. I've been kinda slacking off since I sorta don't have ideas to go onto. As you know, most of the chapters will be in Zion's perspective, but I will write in others to give you a slight more insight of their personal life too. 

Again, thank you for reading Chapter One of Brother! Lady signing off till next time! 

edited on: 04/22/2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

282K 9.5K 107
She was a capitol elite. He was the youngest victor in history. Their friendship was frowned upon, but their love was forbidden. Extended Summary Ins...
963K 22K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.1M 20.1K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
247K 8.8K 99
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...