Loving Maya

By KatherineKeyz

"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to se... More

Parties and Good Feelings
Drinks and Unwanted Images
Now I'm hearing things.
Nerves And Bathroom Breaks
"You're Maya Banks."
Universe Conspiracies And Day Outs
Arcades And Roommate Talks
Morning Talks And Lunch Dates
"I've missed you."
Not Goodbyes And Old Friends
Coconut Oils And Food Wars
New Roommates And Little Reunions
Memories and Dilemmas
Kisses And Heartbreaks
I'm Not Going To Hurt Max.
First Dates And Second Chances
Plans And A-Games
Flat Tyres And Pretty Priya
"I'm still sleepy."
He's with her now.
Birthday Parties And Weekend Plans
Radio Songs And Neighborhood Walks
Birthday Breakfasts And Midnight Cuddles
Sprains And Middle Names
Accidental Spills
Time And History
Just this moment.
Coffee And Biryani
I love you, Maya Banks.
Dancing In The Rain
Dinner Squabbles And Bad Jokes
Home Not So Sweet Home
Brown Envelopes And Afternoon Naps
"Yeah, what he said."
Lunch And Letters
Lunch And Letters
"What can I get you guys?"
Party Preps And Malls
Stars
Sundays In Centers
"Martha Coleman's letters."
Home
Prisons And Homes On Thanksgiving
200 billion galaxies
Theater And Pizza Dates
Night Clouds In A Paper Bag
Blasts From Our Pasts
"You're supposed to be in hell."
Seattle And Annalise
Dinner With Lilly
The Boy With The Bell
Gift Giving And Bianca's Birthday
Peyton Stories And New Plans
"I used to work for him."
"Who's this slow one?"
Another Encounter
"Is that my mother?"
"Love? Stupid love."
Another Crime And Tooth Fairies
Cherry Chapsticks And Mistletoes
"Can I join you kids?"
Fall
Uhm Not An Update

I Thought She Was Gone

1.7K 58 40
By KatherineKeyz

Ramadan Mubarak❤️❤️😊

***

"Today was a huge success." Miss Betty beams. "I'm in awe. You're amazing, Maya."

"Thank you." I look down shyly. "I didn't do everything on my own. All my friends and our parents helped."

"You've done so much for these kids." I look up and find her smiling sadly. "You don't know how much it means to them to see someone put in so much effort for them."

"As long as I can help, I think I should always do something. If I can give more than my time, I probably should."

"Thank you, so much." She holds up the decorated shoe box in her hands. "This is all the money and cheques that were given. We were able to get more people to commit to volunteering. That friend of yours, the one with the curly hair, he said he'll come around sometimes to give the kids a show and teach them how to play the guitar."

"Really?" I smile in disbelief. "That's actually... That's really thoughtful of him."

It's not that Justin isn't the most thoughtful person. He's just... He doesn't often observe others enough to realise that they need his help.

"Miss Betty!" One of the volunteerers who usually come here calls out.

"Yes!" Miss Betty looks around and I point behind her. "Oh! What's wrong?"

"We need you this side." The volunteerer says.

"Maya, I've got to go. I'll see you..."

"I'm not sure. I'll be going away with Mason for the holidays."

"A romantic getaway." Miss Betty raises her eyebrows with a sly smirk.

"What? No," I laugh nervously, "we'll be spending Christmas with his family."

"His family?" Her eyes slightly widen and she smiles. "That's so sweet, he's introducing you to his parents?"

"Well, uhm..."

There's so much to correct from the statement. Mason has one parent, who I've known for a while now so this is no introduction. I'm not sure where to begin explaining.

"Yeah..." I nervously laugh and continuously nod.

"I wish you the best." Miss Betty gives me a sweet smile and gently places a hand over mine. "Don't be nervous, I'm sure they'll love you. Why wouldn't they?"

"Thank you." I smile as she walks away.

I look around at the now empty hallway. The last children and guests left about half an hour ago. We were still cleaning up but we're almost done.

A pair of hands wrap around my waist from behind, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look today?" Mason's voice makes me smile shyly.

"A thousands times." I giggle. "I know you're lying now. My makeup is probably smudged and my eyebags must be prominent."

"No," he says and I turn around to face him, "You're as beautiful as ever."

"Oh my gosh." Priya rolls her eyes as she approaches us. She struggles to hide her smile.

"I told you to get a boyfriend and stop bothering us!" Mason scolds and Priya pouts.

"I told you I can't get one!" Priya pouts. "It's not my fault no one likes me."

I part my mouth, almost ready to say something but immediately shut it as I spot Max approaching us with Bianca.

"Are you guys ready to leave?" Max asks.

"Yes!" I sigh, fatigued.

"Did we receive enough donations?" Priya asks me as we head out of the centre.

"Hmm," I nod with a smile, "I believe we did."

"Where do you guys want to go for dinner?" She asks once we're all outside.

"I'm thinking pizza." Justin suggests.

"Ooh, should we go to that Italian restaurant we went to last time?" Chris asks.

"I was thinking some steak over a nice glass of non-alcoholic champagne to celebrate." Priya looks around at us, an excited smile on her face.

We all stare at her blankly.

"That sounds..." Zoe begins.

"Expensive." Chris finishes.

I notice Mason chuckle and slowly shake his head.

"It's my treat." Her smile grows. "Well, my dad's. I know this restaurant in Monoue Hotel. It's perfect for this ocassion."

"Uhm..." Bianca's face slightly creases. "We don't want to bother your dad."

"Is she sure we're not inconveniencing them?" I ask Mason. "There's 8 of us."

"Don't worry." Mason smiles. "It'll be like a trip to Walmart for Mr. Singh's pocket."

My eyes slightly widen and I smile. I've figured that Priya's filthy rich but it seems I don't know just how filthy rich.

***

I put the long sleeved t-shirt on my lap and begin to fold it.

"Aw! I envy you!" Peyton pouts, sticking her chin up to stare at me from the ground.

"Hmm..." I hum with a smile.

"You'll be spending the holidays having fun with your boyfriend." Zoe's grin disappears as soon as it came, turning into a frown. "I on the other hand will be stuck with my mother."

"Your dad will be there, won't he?" Bianca asks sympathetically.

"Nope," Zoe sighs, "The holidays are his busiest time."

"I'm happy to be going home." Peyton smiles. "I'll be away from Jesse and I'm sure I won't give him a single thought being around my family.".

"You're always happy to go home." Zoe pouts. "I wish I could come with you but my mother would hunt me down and bring me back. No way am I missing the Christmas church service or the lunch after that and definitely not the evening party."

I stop folding and look up at her. So many plans. The most my family ever does for holidays is going out for food. Even with the few Christmases I spent at Bianca's or Shelly's, we mostly did indoor activities.

"What about you Bianca?" Peyton turns to her.

"I don't know." She sighs and sits up on the bed. "Since Maya isn't coming with me, I guess I'll just hang out with my sisters."

"I have an idea." Pey grins. "You could take this time to find someone cute to vibe with."

"Ooh..." Zoe wiggles her eyebrows.

"What? No." Bianca laughs, nervously scrambling for the chocolate bar on my table.

"C'mon, I'm sure there must be a childhood crush or whatever that you can experience a holidays love story with."

"No...I mean... No..."

She hesitated, that must mean there must be someone.

"What?" She stares at me, confused by the smirk on my face.

"Who is it?" I pick up a pair of jeans from the small pile of clothes.

"Who's who?" She takes a bite of the Snickers.

"The person you're thinking of spending your holidays with."

"No one." There's a bit of defensiveness in her voice. "I'm not thinking of anyone."

"Wait a minute." We all turn to Peyton. "Maxie is also going home for the holidays..."

Our attention returns to Bianca as we all stare at her. She puts her hand on her lap, slumps her shoulders and sighs.

"Okay."

"Bianca." The three of us simultaneously whine.

It doesn't take too long for one to see that Max really likes Priya. His smile turns bright when she walks into a room. He is always eager to be in her company and he gets lost in the way she laughs. He's smitten.

And who could blame him? She's a dear; she's beloved.

"What?" She whines back. "A girl can dream."

"Yes but..." Zoe struggles with the words.

"Maya is going away with Mason, Justin is staying here to continue with his music classes at the center and Shelly isn't a part of the group anymore. It'll just be us hanging out."

"As friends." Peyton reminds.

"I know." Bianca lifts her chin up. "I don't mind. I'll just be happy to spend time with him. It's enough."

"You really love him?" I ask with a small smile.

There's a sudden onslaught of guilt in my conscious as I recall the fact that she had to endure us dating. It was short lived but I'm sure it hurt.

"You know he likes-"

"Priya? Yes." She nods. "I know him too well. I can even see how his eyes melt when she's in his presence."

"You've been in love with this boy for so long." Zoe whines, lying back on the bed.

"I know." Bianca laughs. "You've been in love with Mason for so long, you should know."

"Well, yeah..." I smile, zipping up my bag.

I start to think about our holidays and all the things we plan on doing.

My phone rings and as usual, I lurch for it at the same time as three other girls.

"He's my boyfriend!" I yell before Zoe brings it to her ear.

***

We were supposed to leave four hours ago at 2p.m but Max and Bianca needed a ride to the airport. After that, we drove Justin to Precious Children's and ended up staying for the hour long lesson.

When that was over, I decided to check in on the kids working on the garden. I got my clothes all muddy because, well, things were a mess.

So now we're back at Jesse's and our displacement is a zero. Well, Mason's.

Ahh, the beauty of Physics. All that moving around, gas used and time passed but according to the equations of motion, we never did anything.

"What?" Mason looks down at me as we climb up the stairs.

"Hmm?" I raise an eyebrow.

"You're staring." We reach the end of the stairs.

"You're a piece of art; am I not allowed to stare?" I grin and he rolls his eyes with a smile.

"Keep staring, I know I'm irresistible." He shrugs and I playfully punch his arm.

"I'll go grab the things I forgot in the bathroom." Mason says as I enter his bedroom.

"I told you to write a list of everything you need."

"Couldn't you write me one?" He bats his eyelashes and pushes his bottom lip out with a pout.

"Hmm..." I look up in thought. "No."

"You don't love me." He puffs out his cheeks.

"What gave it away?" I widen my eyes in feigned shock.

"Like you could ever stop." He smiles and I look away, hiding my own smile.

"Go get your things, I need to change." I wave him off.

"Yes, ma'am." He teases.

I open my mouth to protest but he quickly gives me a peck on the lips.

"Hey!" I'm left smiling alone as he disappears into the bathroom down the hall.

I close the door and proceed to the bed. The straps on my shoulder come off and I put the leather bag on the floor.

Minutes later, I've changed into a pair of jeans and a long sleeved t-shirt. There's a soft knock on the door, accompanied by Mason's voice and I call him inside.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes. I had a set number of outfits here and now one's down. Maybe we should've gone back to the dorm?" I look up at him and put my hands on my hips.

He looks at me for a few seconds before replying.

"Well, you... You could leave some of your clothes here." He looks down at his shoes shylyl.

"I... I guess." I look down and flutter my eyelashes.

"We should get going." He picks up my bag and puts his arm around my shoulder.

"Hmm..." I nod, looking up at him and smiling.

"I'll just grab a bottle from the fridge."

"Okay, meet you in the car."

I bump into someone on my way to the kitchen. Based on the shock in their eyes and the pace they were walking, they were obviously trying to make a run for it but aren't that familiar with the house.

My eyes slightly widen from the shock but I quickly recover myself.

Mason is outside, it might just be the two of you alone in here.

My eyes do a quick search to see if I can spot any... Weapons?

Nobody even knew you and Mason were coming back. You might be a bit paranoid.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, nervously gulping.

She nearly killed you, your paranoia is justified.

"I... I... I wasn't expecting-" Mary looks down and takes a deep breath. "I wasn't expecting you here."

"I wasn't expecting you either. Did you and Jesse get back together."

I just know she isn't suggesting that I let her corner me in a room full of weapons. I barely even know how to use a knife to cook; she'll have an advantage.

"It's okay, I'll get it for you." She turns around before I can hesitate.

I crane my neck to watch her as she opens the fridge and takes out two bottles of water.

I quickly duck my head back, hoping she didn't notice me.

"Here." She hands me the bottles with a warm smile.

"I'm sorry if I'm making you uncomfortable or... Scared." She whispers the last parts, nervously staring at the ground.

I feel bad for making her feel this way but I can't help it. It's so hard to accept that she went from... The Princess, to this girl in front of me who avoids eye contact and saying 'sorry' and 'thank you'.

"It's okay." I say, taking in a deep breath.

I want to ask her if she and Jesse are back. I want to inquire about her living arrangements and maybe even try to get some information about her dad. Like I mentioned, Mason is outside and I'm a bit scared.

"B... Bye..." I stutter before basically running out of the house.

I shut the front door and rest my back on it, a hand tightly over my chest. I take in deep breaths, a bit grateful that we parked outside and Mason probably can't see me.

After managing to calm myself down, my focus moves to the bottles in my hands. I contemplate what to do with them.

It's not that I don't trust her.

You don't.

It doesn't even make sense how she would've tampered with them.

You never know with her.

I just...

Without another thought, I twist the cap off the first bottle and head for the small rose plant to my left. I empty the water onto it and do the same with the second bottle.

I thought she was gone for good.

Totally irrelevant but Playful Kiss or Boys Over Flowers?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...
718K 24.6K 139
'"You're a liar. You're a dirty fucking liar," I sob. Despite the fact that I want nothing more than to run away from the man standing in front of me...
214K 2.7K 49
Four years. That's how long it has been since Sebastian saw his best friend's sister Maya. She was the sweetest seventeen year old girl you probably...
829K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...