𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐁𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 | 𝐒�...

By Rozalolita

Natasha Van Doren is a shadow summoner. She bides her time and resides in darkness, feared and esteemed by Ke... More

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐀.
𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓.
𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐓.
𝐃𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.
𝐎𝐍𝐄. 𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐇
𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄
𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝐊𝐑𝐔𝐆𝐄
𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐘
𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐆𝐀𝐓𝐄
𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄
𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍
𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄. 𝐀 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐋
𝐓𝐄𝐍. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐋𝐋, 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐓, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒
𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐀 𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐕
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄. 𝐋𝐀𝐌𝐁𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐑
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐃
𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐌 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐖𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇
𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓
𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐔𝐊𝐄'𝐒 𝐖𝐈𝐅𝐄
𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐊𝐀𝐍 𝐑𝐔𝐌𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐒
𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘. 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐌𝐄
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄. 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐒
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝐀 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. 𝐂𝐈𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐊𝐍𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘
𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐀𝐍 𝐔𝐏𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗. 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐀𝐑𝐘
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍
𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄. 𝐒𝐎𝐋
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘. 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄. 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐊𝐄𝐘𝐒
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐓𝐇𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐒
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐒𝐔𝐆𝐀𝐑
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐓 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐄𝐓𝐒
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐒
𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄. 𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐒
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘. 𝐖𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐑𝐒
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄. 𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐒𝐄𝐋
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐒
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. 𝐅𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐃𝐎𝐋𝐋
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗. 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐒
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐈 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐁𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐒
𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐀𝐍 𝐔𝐏𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄
𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄. 𝐔𝐍𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐒
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄. 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐀 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐎𝐑 𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄
LMAOOO
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝐓𝐎 𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. 𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄. 𝐊𝐔𝐖𝐄𝐈 𝐁𝐎-𝐘𝐔𝐋
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐀𝐋 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐖
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍. 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐒𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐒
𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐄𝐗𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐒
𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄

𝐒𝐈𝐗. 𝐔𝐍𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄

6.6K 311 311
By Rozalolita

"In a room full of thousands, Kaz Brekker was the first and only person she'd look for. "

"Look at the stars, Natasha."

The young shadow summoner awoke with a gasp, her palms upturned. Darkness flickered like the flames of a candle. She crawled up onto her knees, the grass staining the stockings that curved around her slender legs.

"What stars, Kaz?"

She twisted her head around to the boy beside her. His jaw was sharp like the edge of a privateer's blade in the low hanging light of the moon. He kept his gloved palms tucked beneath his head. Kaz's smile was grim, he didn't smile much after the death of his brother, but his eyes were fond.

"The stars in the sky, you idiot,"

He motioned up towards the night with his elbow, lying back in the grass. She stuck out her tongue, shifting closer to his side.

He smelt like the earth - cold, smoky and fresh, but maybe that was just the scent of the dirt they were lazing beneath. Nevertheless, she liked it. Simply because it was him. 

The side of her head grazed his clothed shoulder; they both stared up at the stars in silence, watching the balls of light streak across the sky before fading away with gentle bursts.

"They're beautiful," she breathed. 

Natasha turned her head, her nose almost brushing against the nape of his neck. From her view, she could see the perfect slope of his nose and the edged brush of his jaw - 'so many things to pick from,' she thought, smiling to herself internally.

"What are you staring at?" Kaz sulked. He nudged her shoulder, pointing up to another star racing across the darkness. "The stars are up there, Van Doren, not on my lips," He pressed two tender fingertips beneath her chin, the leather warming her skin.

"Look up," he said. A red flush bit at Natasha's dark cheeks as she turned back towards the sky, watching a drizzle of stars scatter through the misty sky of Ketterdam.

"Jordie would always take me star-gazing," he hummed, his chin resting against the bone of her shoulder. He had turned onto his side, their lips inches apart.

She could feel the heat of his breath against her cheek, lighting her skin in flames. He's just a friend, Natasha repeated in her mind. Kaz went on about his trips with Jordie. "Natasha, are you listening?" His brow furrowed as he shook his hand across her face.

"Yeah," she mumbled, her voice shaking. "Definitely listening."

___

"VAN DOREN, ARE YOU LISTENING?"

Kaz Brekker was shaking a hand across her face, his lips screwed into an annoyed grimace. The crows had trekked into the very bowels of Hellgate, sweeping down an infinite amount of staircases.

She had even managed to fall back behind Nina Zenic, who was a scowling mess of flushed cheeks and perspiring brows. "These steps will kill me before the Frejdans can," she protested, moving past Inej with heavy footsteps.

Natasha shook out her shoulders, the silks playing across her skin. "Yeah," her words were a rasp, barely louder than a mumble. Her voice shook, her throat desperate for water. "I definitely heard all the details of this new master plan of yours, Brekker."

Kaz glowered, shifting his crow cane between his palms. The leather became sticky, sweat rolling down the length of his fingers in broken beads.

"It was a mistake bringing you," Kaz scoffed, a hand curling around her elbow. He dragged her down the length of the final staircase, scowling softly beneath his breath. They both dropped the final step with a loud bang, enough to stoke the attraction of two prison guards.

Nina and Inej had walked forth with the rest of the crowd, craning their heads every few moments to catch sight of what was happening. Natasha watched the back of their heads fade away into the crowd.

Despite Kaz by her side, she felt awfully alone.

"Any trouble folks?" The two men had begun to pace forth, the oily barrels of their guns gleaming in the candle lamps. Natasha could feel Kaz's bone pinch into the skin of her elbow. His eyes were hooded - calculating what to do next.

"Kiss me." He said suddenly and resolutely - shutting his eyes to prepare himself for the dreaded moment.

Her breath skipped what felt like several lifetimes. "What?" She hissed back. 

Natasha's eyes darted between the approaching men and the clouded stare of Kaz's Brekker's eyes. A bitter storm rose behind his dark irises, his lips slightly apart to counter the ragged heave of his chest - 'She isn't Jordie' he tried to convince himself. 'And if you don't kiss her you'll miss out on thirty million kruge,' 

"You heard me, I said kiss me." Kaz Brekker repeated not daring to speak any louder than a whisper. His skin had began breaking out into a sweat as he dragged himself closer, his breath caressing against her freckled cheek before spinning up into the air.

Natasha felt frozen, her feet rooted to the concrete. She had begun parting her lips to speak when he spun her around by the elbow, catching her by the waist. "You can't do anything by yourself, can you?" he whispered, pressing his lips hard against hers.

His elbow dug harder into her side, a stinging reminder that this kiss was nothing more than a distraction. Her smile turned sour, their lips stuck like a rock against one another. This wasn't the kiss she had imagined growing up. What she felt now was nothing like the fireworks her friends had described.

This just felt... wrong.

The guards turned away with mumbled grunts and talk of young couples not being able to control themselves in public. As soon as they had turned the corner, Kaz pushed her away roughly. He rubbed his flushed lips with the back of his glove, spitting harshly onto the concrete beside her feet.

"Was this that master plan of yours, Kaz?" Natasha asked faintly, her hand across her mouth.

When he turned back around to face her, his face was firm, eyes still blank. "That didn't mean anything, Van Doren," he said simply, spinning his cane around his palm before striding forth without another word.

She tripped on her feet in a daze, the rock lining the walls, burrowing into the flesh of her palms. Her mind spun like the thread of a spindle, Natasha had lost control. She blinked several times, her eyelashes, the fluttering wings of a dazed butterfly.

Natasha sniffed back a desperate sob, thumbing the pockets beneath her eyes and following after Kaz. She could make out the top of his hat through the crowd, jutting out like a lone ship at sea.

That's how fast she could catch him out. In a room full of thousands, Kaz Brekker was the first and only person she'd look for. But what hurt the most, was knowing that he wouldn't look for her.... he'd go for Inej maybe. And the worst part was, she couldn't blame Kaz.

Natasha had abandoned him. After their night at the bank, she had grabbed her things and left; after a few months, she registered under the Kerch government as dead - lost at sea.

Kaz Brekker hadn't mourned the loss of his best friend. Didn't arrange a funeral, didn't even shed a single tear. But her assumed death had birthed the phrase "No mourners, no funerals." He had told his crows that it was the lowest passing of good luck a thief could trade.

However, the phrase meant so much more. It was hope.

Hope that she was alive. Kaz Brekker didn't mourn because he knew she was still out there. That Natasha Van Doren would come back for him. He didn't cry because he knew she'd always return. And when she had, through his hatred, he knew it was all worth it.

The phrase was passed between the group, nestled in an alcove. A yellow-toothed guard had pushed the four up onto a stone ledge. Their feet almost about to slip over the edge. Natasha twisted away from Kaz's, moving to stand beside Nina.

Natasha could hear Nina's heart rate quicken, the painful lump in her chest beating sluggishly alongside hers. She couldn't bear to look up at Kaz, his eyes trained at the competition below. Natasha couldn't care to follow the hisses and boos of the crowd around her, she already felt sick enough.

"You alright? you look pale." Nina's voice whispered. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her veil, staring up at Natasha with thoughtful eyes.

"Fine," Natasha responded, an excruciating smile on her lips. She could still feel his lips on hers, the hard twist of his mouth refusing to properly kiss her. Natasha spat hard onto the floor, cursing the very existence of Kaz Brekker.

"Bad taste in my mouth, that's all." 

Her silvered eyes turned to meet his, his head perking as she spoke. She almost wanted to say a flicker of insecurity washed through his features, but she was certain, it was just a trick of the light. It was what made the darkness so comforting. It could swallow her whole, yet still, play the tricks of her own game.

A/N

-I'm aware of Kaz's haphephobia, however throughout the story, including the sequel, Natasha and Kaz's past relationship and friendships makes her somewhat tolerable to be around. I'll go into more detail throughout the rest of the chapters, but Kaz's phobia is still regarded and will not go overlooked. if you enjoyed, remember to vote and comment!

- rosa <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 6.1K 34
𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟, 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐤𝐤𝐞𝐫. 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 �...
67.1K 2.2K 24
DISCONTINUED Viktoriya Kirigan is the daughter of the Darkling. She has had the life of a princess and grew up in the little castle with the power of...
22.7K 756 33
"𝑨𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 is more 𝒖𝒔𝒆𝒇𝒖𝒍. 𝑾𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒉 is more 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒖𝒍. 𝑹𝒂𝒈𝒆 is more 𝒅𝒆𝒗𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈. And if I shall burn in this fire... ...
458K 17.7K 68
❛ ʻʻ .. it's strange how fate keeps bringing us together .. 〞 in which a girl who can see a person's fate from the touch of a hand falls for the on...