The Broken Crown

By AmythestWinter

The first time I saw him, my bones turned to water and I knew I would fall at his hands. They called it dest... More

A Thousand Conversations
Secrets and Lies
Power and Control
The Expanse
Unraveling
Fire
Tales of the Past
Destiny
Witchcraft
Between the Wars
Intimacy
Loyality
Séance
Secrets of the Day
Innocence
Undo
Pretty Little Things
Dignity
Stripped
R I V E R
A Storm is Coming
Ruins
Allies or Enemies
A Choice of Fate
Setting Sun
Battlecry
The Covenant
Dissolved
Tárvotur
The Hand That Feeds
Heavy in Your Arms
Pandora's Box
The Auburn Beauty
Silvercrest Ridge
Stardust
Wanderlust
A Destiny of Darkness
Atonement
All That Glitters
Maintain the Madness
Hymnal
A Good Omen
Shadow of the Past
Sacrifice of Youth

Immoral Men

4.2K 248 44
By AmythestWinter

The sunlight floods the room, my eyes peeling awake as I stir in bed, unwilling to pull the covers from off my body. The storm has passed for now, the grounds wet, and the forest calling to me. As I roll around to the edge of my bed, I check the time and groan as I push myself from the mattress. Following my typical morning routine, I complete my shower, dry my hair, and put on a fresh pair of jeans and blouse with a tweed jacket. Business casual is the goal today, my head pounding from the late night I had as I was flooded with questions of what I have been doing. I was left alone last night, within the walls of my bedroom, pondering what steps I take now. 

The silence of the house informs me I am the first awake, the door to my bedroom pushed open as I exit from the warmth of it and into the hallway. My ears pick up the soft sound of some staff cleaning the house and preparing a meal for the morning. Descending the staircase, I find myself soon within the large living room, leaning back into my couch as I look outside to the forest. 

Cedric and Brie are just outside my house, talking with one another as I notice how tense the two of them look. Something has transpired since I went to bed. 

As a staff member offers me a cup of my morning coffee, I thank her and look back outside to watch Brie and Cedric part ways. Holding my head high, I prepare myself for whoever will come to talk with me first. The seconds begin to tick by as I wonder who could be coming to deliver news - those seconds only transforming into minutes as soon enough, my coffee is halfway gone. What could be going on? Were they not coming to find me? 

Placing my coffee down, I pick myself up and move out of the living room. "Have you see Beta Cedric?" I ask one of the staff. 

"They were outside about five minutes ago, Alpha Maxwell." Nodding, I thank the woman for her insight and begin to walk for the front door. Just as I reach the front door and my hand wraps around the brass knob, I can hear the lowered voices outside. 

"She can no longer be trusted," Cedric whispers, his voice hushed as I slowly press my ear to the door, hoping they cannot pick up my scent. Who could he be speaking with? Who is he speaking about?

"She has been part of this war from the beginning, she offers insight." 

"She offers words of poison," Cedric refutes Alpha Yusuf. "You have seen how she peruses about this pack like it belongs to her, how she treats our Alpha as if she is merely a child. I trust you, Alpha Yusuf, I trust you more than the rest of them, but we cannot allow Alpha Penelope to hold any play in decisions Leala will make." 

"Penelope will pull her forces back from the war if she has no power."

"Then you agree Penelope is only part of this game for power," Cedric points out, "you then agree that Penelope is using Leala and this situation to find power of her own." 

Yusuf sighs, as if defeated. "She is a strong Alpha - fuck - she has the best tactical knowledge of any of us." Yusuf pauses for a brief moment. "I fear what she may do if she is taken out of Leala's inner circle of advisors." 

"We all fear what Penelope is capable of, regardless of if she is part of that inner circle or not." 

The two do not continue to speak, as if reaching common ground on Alpha Penelope. Yusuf is right, for Penelope is a force to be reckoned with, her men well-trained and lethal, but Penelope can also turn deadly. I remember the look in her eyes the day we took Evercrest Ridge, how her eyes were like that of a man person, scaring what could become of her. Yet we need her men and to gain her army, she needs to feel like she is still in control. Yet how? 

"You do not trust me though, do you?" Yusuf asks, bringing back around the conversation. 

"No, I do not," Cedric states firmly. "I do not trust a man who seems to pull strings attached to my alpha. I trust you more than anyone else though, Yusuf, and that counts for something." I can hear Yusuf agree to Cedric. "What are you going to speak with Leala about today?" 

"A changing in the wind." 

I take a step back from the door and quickly make my way back into the living room, hoping that when Yusuf enters this house, my scent will be faded from the entry. As a knock erupts the silence of the house, I take in a deep breath and watch a staff member open the front door. As she invites in Alpha Yusuf, I rise to my feet to greet the man. "What can I do for you today, Yusuf?" 

"May we talk privately?" 

"Follow me." 

As we head for my home office, the walk through the main hall past the portrait of my parents sends chills down my spine. Opening the door, I invite Yusuf in and lock it behind us. "What is it?" I ask, taking a seat at my chair as Yusuf stands across from me, unsure of where to begin. 

"Alpha Emmitt has picked up a large number of his men and is moving them west." 

"Where do we think he is taking his army?" I ask, pulling out a map of the region with every pack listed. "Where are they now?" 

Yusuf moves a block which represents Emmitt's army, sliding it in the western direction. "They do not seem to be headed for us." 

"No, for someone else." 

"Alpha Finley." Yusuf nods his head. "Alpha Finley has remained neutral and shows no sign of threat. Why grab your army and move it far away from your pack but also from the man you have pledged to be king?" Shaking my head, I look to the board to analyze where everyone is placed. "Our armies are safe and spread out among our packs. Why would Emmitt leave his pack almost defenseless?" 

"Order from someone else," Yusuf responds. "Though it strikes me as odd for Alpha River to order Emmitt's army away from the pack and on the other side of the region. It is like he is asking for Emmitt's pack to be attacked." 

"A trap," I comment, looking up to Yusuf. "River would expect us to attack Emmitt's pack with few men and then send a multitude of his own to wipe us out."  Yet it does not sound like the River which Brie has told me of late. Brie has told me River has halted any real action since I told him of Asger. Brie informed me River is spending time figuring out his own pack. "I do not think River would though."

Yusuf raises an eyebrow, confused by my last statement as he reflects upon it. "It would not make sense for Emmitt to make such a order." 

"Someone else did in River's name."

"What do you mean?" Yusuf asks, shaking his head. "River is the appointed king for his pack and Emmitt's." 

"River does not have complete control of his own pack, there are elves within Eternal Shadows after all..." I trail off, thinking of everything I have learned of recently. "I think Keva is behind this, as a setup for us to attack Emmitt's pack." 

"Why?" Yusuf questions. 

"She has perhaps caught word that I wish to meet with River or perhaps she fears River and I may be joining forces or catching onto her. If we attack Emmitt's pack, then that would be a clear action to River to show him I have no intention of making peace. I do not know what Emmitt is thinking of attacking Finley, but I believe he must think River's army will protect his pack when really, it will be left defenseless." 

"So it is all a plot to push River and you at opposite ends, for River to lose another ally, and for her to gain more power?" Brie asks, wishing to make what I have just said clear. 

"If we are right about Keva and Asger, then I believe so." 

Taking in a deep breath, Yusuf looks back to the board and then back up to me. "So what do we do now? Do we allow Emmitt to fight Finley with no backup, do you warn River, ...what?" 

"I do not know. If we warn Emmitt of what we know, I have no idea how he could deal with things." 

"Warning Emmitt would be the right thing to do. He is being setup in an attempt to overthrow the werewolves of the realm," Yusuf proclaims. 

"Then we need- what is it you are not telling me?" I watch Yusuf's facial expressions change as I change the topic of the conversation. "If Emmitt has wandered West looking for a fight, then we would have known soon about this. Penelope's pack is close to his." 

Yusuf remains calm as he bites his cheek. "I come here to offer you news of Penelope's pack as well, Alpha Leala." I nod, motioning for Yusuf to continue. "My men caught sight of Emmitt's pack and wondered that too. Penelope has known for three days that Emmitt's pack was left bare of any warriors."

"Why would she keep that hidden? From me? From any of us?" 

Yusuf takes in a deep breath. "It seems Alpha Penelope did not agree in you having a say in the attack of Emmitt's pack. It seems that Penelope came to her own conclusion of what should be done." 

I swallow, my throat dry as I discover what Penelope has done. "So Penelope has attacked when we believe this to be a trap by Keva."

"Penelope's pack has not attacked yet. I have men following close behind."

Penelope did not find me important enough to ask about a battle. Penelope is acting as an individual and not as a team player. She has made a decision which could impact everyone, which could even hurt her own pack. "Send word to her that we believe this to be an attack."

Yusuf nods, grabbing his phone as he begins to type in her contact. "Make it clear to her that this order from me is to protect her. That we think this to be a trap. Tell her they will be fighting elves." I watch as Yusuf hovers over the button to call Penelope, a weight pressed upon my shoulders as I think of what Penelope has done. She is playing as an individual in this game - she thinks me not to be the real person in charge and it is clear to me now. By Penelope deciding to attack Emmitt's pack which lays defenseless, it tells me she does not see me as a partner, but an obstacle to beat. Yet she needs to know that this is a trap. Penelope must be warned. 

Just as Yusuf is about to call the alpha, his phone buzzes and I watch his face turn pale. Glancing up to me, Yusuf's wide eyes struggle to focus as he lowers his phone. "Penelope has already attacked. My men have just informed me." 

Handing over the phone, Yusuf watches as I read the text from his men, informing us that Penelope's pack has attacked. Grabbing my phone, I instantly find myself calling the red-haired alpha, hands shaking as I listen to the rings. The six rings leave me desperate, hanging up and calling again as I find myself either ignored or thinking Penelope could be dead already. I order Yusuf to call her or her Beta, watching as he tries to get hold of Penelope. I bite my nails, nervous as I wonder if anyone will pick up. 

I watch as Yusuf lowers his phone, shaking his head as he cannot get ahold of anyone from Penelope's pack. Yusuf messages his men which followed Penelope's pack, telling them to find the alpha and inform her of a possible attack - an ambush. Keva's men will attack Emmitt's pack, but they will also discover Penelope's men. Could Penelope's men fight off elves with the help of Emmitt's own pack members? I believe in a chance, I have hope that perhaps they could defend Emmitt's unarmed pack, but I have never seen elves in action on a wide scale. 

I heard stories of elven wars from the past, centuries old as brave knights were displayed in shining armor as they fought against elves. I know the chances of Penelope's army making it out alive are slim when elves are involved. 

"Try and reach Emmitt. Find someone who has a way to message him, to tell him his entire army has been directed at Finley to ambush his own-"

"Leala," Yusuf interrupts, his voice low as he glances to his phone, reading the messages from his men. "Keva's army has arrived." 

<><><>

"Can anyone get me word on Alpha Finley? Can anyone reach out to him?" I ask, looking over to Cedric as I pace back and forth in my office. Alpha Yusuf left nearly an hour ago and all I have been able to do is pace around while talking to Cedric and Brie. 

"We can send men to where his army is setup, but it would take too long. If the elves have been attacking Penelope and Emmitt's pack for the past hour, there is already so much damage." 

I know she is right, for in an hour much can happen. Grabbing my phone, I scroll through the contacts and land on the last one I intended to. Taking in a deep breath, I call the number, listening to the three rings before he picks up. 

"River, please do not hang up. This is important." I can hear him on the other line, exhausted as it sounds like I have just woken him up. "Please hear me out."

"Is everything okay?" 

"Alpha Emmitt, you must make contact with him to return his army to his pack as quickly as possible."

"What is going on?" 

"An ambush was setup."

"How? How could you know?" 

"How many men do you have still in your territory? How many elven warriors remain inside the walls?" 

"I am not sure," River replies, his voice rising with concern. "It is a religious weekend for the elves. Many of them returned to their homeland to-"

"Do you know if they really did?" 

"What is going on, Leala?" 

I take in a deep breath to try and calm myself. "Because I have a good reason to assume that Keva sent Emmitt and his men to Alpha Finley's to attack that pack under your name, rendering his pack defenseless. I just learned that elves were seen attacking Emmitt's pack as Penelope went behind my back and took her own army there to attack." 

"How can you be sure?" 

"Alpha Yusuf's men reported an elven army arriving at Emmitt's pack," I state, pinching the bridge of my nose as I glance to Cedric and Brie. "According to Yusuf's men, there are at least a hundred of them attacking Emmitt's defenseless pack while Penelope attacks as well."

A scream erupts from outside, drawing my attention as I look to see a warrior being pinned down to the ground, her throat slit open. The silver hair of the attacker glimmers in the sunlight, the point of his ears instantly recognizable as I back away from the window. 

"Leala, are you okay?" The panicked voice of River draws my attention back to our conversation as Cedric and Brie call my name, telling me to get away from the window. 

"I have to go. We are under attack."

"By who-"

"Elves," I whisper, watching the silver-haired elf as he snaps his head in my direction. I do not even think for another second before I end the call to River and look to Cedric. Cedric quickly pulls out his phone, calling numbers as Brie takes hold of my arm as we watch a line of elves begin to run from the forest. Screams can be heard from all around as Brie grips my arm tighter, pulling me down the hallway with her into the garage as she grabs the keys to one of my late father's cars. As the lights of one flicker, we run to the two-door car, Brie shoving me into the passenger side as she takes the driver's seat. 

As Brie takes in a deep breath, she opens the garage door, not letting it open up halfway before she steps on the gas and the roof of the car lightly scrapes against the garage door. Brie tells me to not look outside, but I have already spotted the elves who tear into my pack warriors who rush to the scene, the very house staff who served me coffee this morning crying for mercy as I watch her body fall limp. 

I let out a gasp, coving my moth as my hands become shaky and I want to let out a scream. There must be at least ten elves surrounding my house, goddess know how many more at general pack locations as Brie only drives faster. Looking behind us, I try and see any glimpse of Cedric, worried for his life as I need my beta to survive. I need Cedric to make it. 

"If we become separated, please just keep running." 

I watch a wolf fly through the window of my house, landing on his paws as he takes an elf down with him. My own father chases after the car, tearing into the arm of an elf who attacks him. As he picks up his pace, I meet the gaze of his wolf as tears begin to escape my eyes. 

"Leala."

"What?" 

"If we become separated, what do you do?"

"I just run," I whisper, my fingers digging into my palms as I catch glimpses of eyes watching me from the depths of the woods. "Keva is behind this attack, I know she is." 

As Brie pulls out onto the main street, she increases the acceleration as we leave my father behind, my hand pressed against the window as I cannot believe what is happening. What has come of Yusuf, of Cedric, of my adoptive mother? How many elves are there? 

Just as Brie speeds past a red light, I look to the pack house through a thin layer of trees, wolves rushing out as they are ready to take on their attackers. The moment I look back to Brie and ask her to get me word on our territory boarder, a dark shadow appears in the road and a force slams into my side. 

Glass flies around me, my body feeling as if it is floating. I watch my hair being to circle around me, pieces of glass fly through it as the ground begins to spin. The crunching of metal draws me out of a space, my eyes widening as I no longer feel as if I am floating, but rolling within a metal box. Another force slams into my side as my nose erupts in pain as white is all I can see. I no longer feel as if I am rolling, but now I know I am upside down. 

Crying out, I push the airbag out of my face and look over to Brie, blood running down the side of her temple as I cry out for her. Reaching my arm out, I try and shake her, only to notice the blood running down my own arm. "Brie?!" My nose stings in pain as I speak, my body telling me to get out of this car before something else happens. 

My fingers shake as I press on the seatbelt button, trying to release my body from the seat as the seatbelt cuts into my thighs and chest. The moment I push with enough force, I fall to the ground on my back, groaning in pain as I look to the shattered windows which reveal grass lay before me. "Brie, please." 

"Lea-Leala," Brie whispers, opening her eyes softly as she glances to me. "Run." 

As I look once more at my Gamma, I know what I must do. Crawling out from under the car, my head spins as I get to my feet, blood running down the side of my face as I look to see what could have hit us. Laying in the center of the intersection is the body of a wolf with a knife in it's neck, the other half of its body destroyed by impact. Brie did not kill this member, but an elf did, leaving it there to die as we just happened to not see it in the midst of our fast pursuit. 

Taking one look back at the car, I do what Brie told me to, my feet picking up pace as I find it hard to breath. Yet I disobey my Gamma, rather, I run towards the pack house, knowing I cannot run from this like a coward. I am the Alpha of Crimson Lock. I am going to fight for this pack. 

Picking up the dagger from the wolf's neck in the intersections, I head for the pack house, hearing Brie cry out my name as she knows where I am going. The closer I get, the louder screams become. My warriors outnumber the elves in number, but not in experience. Fumes begin to rise into the sky, a fire spreading along the eastern wing of the pack house as I hear children crying. I run even faster, pushing past a few of my own warriors who circle around the pack house to defend it. 

"Alpha Leala, don't-"

I care little for whatever the pack member has to say as I enter through the door, the heat of the fire meeting my flesh as I push forward. The flames grow closer as I near the nursery. White and red flames dance around the door as I place my jacket over my head and keep my body low to the ground. Looking around for anything to help, the cries of children grow louder. I yell to the pack members at the other end, telling them to step back from the door as I try and budge the bookcase on the other side of the hallway across from the door. As I line the bookcase up, I try and pull it forward. 

I cry out in pain as the bookcase will not fall, my arms unable to complete the task as the cries of children grow louder. Moving to the other side of the bookcase, I grunt as I push my legs against the wall and my back on the bookcase. Screaming out in pain, I watch my knee pop out of place the moment my back no longer has support. As I fall to the floor, I watch the door of the room burst into pieces. I yell for the children to use the bookcase as a bridge out, instructing them to hurry as the flames begin to flood the room. Children as young as three crawn on the bookcase to avoid the flames, running out of the pack house and once more into danger. 

Following after them, I meet the frontline of my warriors accepting the challenge of elves across the field as they stand in the forest. "Any word on how many?" I ask, my voice faint and cracking as I stumble onto a warrior. 

"Alpha Leala, are you alright?" The warriors asks, concerned as she notices the blood upon my body. 

"How many are there?" 

"Thirty attacked, twenty-five remain." 

"I want a few left alive to talk to in the end," I announce, my voice fading away as my warriors glance back to me, concerned. "I want to know what Keva has planned here." 

The elves sprint forward, charging at my line of warriors as they shift into their wolves. Children are ushered away from the fight and towards the pack neighborhoods, their parents protecting them as I fear what could await them. Taking in a deep breath, I allow my wolf to break through, my bones popping as my wolf takes form. 

As the blood on my skin is now blood upon my fur, my wolf digs her paws into the ground and lets out a shattering howl which fills the sky. My head thrown back, I feel the wind blow through my thick fur, my eyes darkening as I lower my head and look back to the elves. With a huff, I push off my paws and charge at the enemy, each step I take painful. 

As an elf with black eyes comes at me, I open my mouth and my canines dig into his arm. The elf's body slams into the ground, my wolf latching her canines into his arm as I feel bone at the center. Jerking her head to the side, my wolf jerks the body of the elf around as she stands on top of the elf quickly. With my claws out, I fear into the flesh of the elf, digging into his chest as he screams out in pain. The moment the elf stops moving, I release him from my hold and my wolf looks for the next opponent. 

A burst of flames erupts from under my wolf, causing her to howl in agony as her eyes meet that of one elf from afar. The elf raises her hands, casting another spell which knocks the wind out of me as I am brought to the ground beside the elf I just killed. As she begins to conjure up another spell, my wolf pushes off the ground and charges at the elf. The elven woman begins to wave her hands around, a mist just starting to come from her fingertips as she takes a step back, eyes widening as I open my powerful jaws and snap them shut around her left hand. 

A tingling of magic causes my mouth to fall numb for a few seconds before the elven woman drops to the ground in a scream as she clutches onto her injured hand. Just as she reaches towards her belt, my wolf's canines dig into her jugular and the hand which once reached for a weapon falls limp. 

My men fight across the field of the pack house, their wolves chasing after elves as I notice just how few are attacking. If at least one hundred attacked Emmitt's pack, then why so few here? What was the point of coming here to risk so many lives? A distraction of some sort, but of what? Perhaps to keep my attention away from Emmitt's pack - perhaps Keva did not think I would hear of it and this attack was to keep that news hidden. 

The moment I turn around, I notice a dark-haired elf sprinting towards me, carrying in her hand a long blade. Grounding myself, I prepare for a fight, watching as she leaps into the air and brings her blade down. I pirouette, the ground I once stood on being hit with a blade as the elven woman snarls at me. I cannot waste any more time. 

My wolf readies herself, canines exposed as I let out a low rumbling growl. I barely have time to prepare before the elf throws her blade at me. The vibration of the silver sword causes panic as I cower to the ground, the silver sword grazing across my face as I cry out in pain. The sword falls behind me, my body feeling exposed to poison as I feel the blood running down my face. Growling once more, I try and charge at the elf, only to lose balance as my head becomes heavy, my head spinning as my eyes struggle to adjust. 

As the elf grabs hold of a dagger from her pocket, I try and move away, stumbling to the side as my wolf tries to rub her head against the ground, trying to relieve us of the sting. Just as the elf comes for me, I watch a familiar wolf tackle the elf, catching her head within his powerful jaws as the elf cries out in pain. My wolf looses her footing, falling to the ground as I watch the wolf's powerful jaws snap shut on the elf's head, the cracking of her skull sending shivers down my spine as I look away.  

Looking around the battlefield, I watch as the elves begin to run off, retreating as another wave of warriors from Yusuf's pack stationed here come to the field. Arms wrap around the body of my wolf, holding me close as Terrance takes a look at my injury. He calls for someone to grab a doctor or nurse, crying out for help as I howl out in pain. 

I watch the warriors of Yusuf's pack and my own run off into the woods after our attackers, hoping to take some alive for questioning. Alpha Yusuf runs over to me, eyes wide as he is pale as a ghost. 

Shifting in front of Yusuf and my father, a large jacket is thrown over my shaking and bare body, blood running down the sides of my face as a painful ringing erupts in my ear. My legs grow weak, feeling fuzzy, and Terrance lifts me from the ground. Blood drips from my face onto my father's arms. 

"B-"

"Brie is okay, Leala. You two need to see the pack doctor now. Come along." 

"Beta Cedric?" I ask, stumbling over my words as my father picks up his pace towards a slew of pack members gathering around the back house. 

"Cedric is safe." 

From the blurry vision of my eyes, I spot someone walking towards us, reaching out his arms as my body is moved from one to another. 

My head rolls around to the side and finds its resting spot against the very man I just asked of, a small smile makes it way to my face. "I am glad you are okay," I mumble to Cedric. 

"As am I," he replies, picking up his pace as my mind becomes fuzzy. 

"Do me a favor, Cedric," I whisper, voice weak as I meet his gaze. "Inform Alpha River of what has happened here today. Inform him that I request a meeting with him." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113 41 41
Oliver Fredericks: I was raised on power. I was forged in strength. I convey that in everything I do. I know this world is full of things that wi...
251K 10.5K 60
(Highest #41 on 8/5/2020) A/N This book is a stand-alone even though the first few chapters might seem confusing! It's one of those, starts in the mi...
3.9M 124K 58
*COMPLETED* BOOK 1 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES #1 Packs 26/01/2021 #1 Emotions 27/09/2019 #1 Sacrifice 25/10/2019 Elizabeth Crow was only a young p...
27.3K 693 27
He grabbed me, and I felt tingles go up my arms. I started to thrash around trying to get out of his grip. As much as my wolf wanted him, I didn't an...