A14 The Mistake {Newt x Reade...

By bagsybaggins

×one MISTAKE is all it takes× Sending a girl to a maze that was only ment to be filled with boys, W.I.C.K.E.D... More

1- The Beginning
2- More Trouble
3- The Visit
4- Emilia
5- Surrounded by a maze
6- Little Clips
7- Changing
8- Bloody blonde boy
9- Partners
10- One by one
11- Rules
12- The Fallen
13- The Lies
14- The Shadows Creeping
16- The Long Night
17- Remembering
18- The Wall's between Us
19- The New Playing Field
20- White Flower Crowns
Glader, Shanks, and Cranks!

15- It's Okay. I'm Sorry. I Love You.

4.1K 114 220
By bagsybaggins

**HI! Sorry, another note from your crank of an author! I just would like to say, please listen to this song while reading the chapter! If you can't then pleaser listen before you actually read this chapter! This will be the last chapter I will be updating today, so please be patient and wait for the next chapter which should hopefully be out sometime tomorrow!! Any comments asking for an update will be ignored and deleted! So please enjoy the chapter and the song Human By Christina Perri.  WARNING ANGST!!!**

His broken whisper filled the air as he stared at her.

"Wh-what do you mean, 'you've already mapped the maze'? I thought-"

"I lied." She whimpered, her eyes glazing over as she looks up at him. "I had it finished since before George died."

He chokes as he stumbles back in shock, his eyes straying to the ground. "Since George-"

YN takes a step forward, the tears slipping down her cheeks. "Newt, I'm sorry. I didn't want you to worry about it!"

{YOUR POV}

"Didn't want me to worry about it!" He yelled and I flinched from his sudden rage.

"YN, you lied to me! You lied to us! We've been searching the bloody maze for years! And you've already mapped it all out?"

I shake my head stepping forward again, towards him. But he turns away, out of my reach. I curl my fingers into a fist and place it back at my side.

"Minho and Alby already know, Newt. I had to-"

"THEY ALREADY KNOW! And you didn't tell me." He looks at me, his voice slowly falling to a broken whisper. 

He stops for a moment, his eyes flickering back and forth between mine.

"Were you even going to tell me?" He uttered softly, his voice cracking.

I sob, looking down at the ground, and I could hear him scoff and take another step back.

"Newt I'm so-"

"I DON'T WANT YOUR APOLOGIES YN!" He roared, his own tears streaming down his face. His jaw snapped shut, his chest heaving as he glares at me. I knew I had messed up, but his glare. The glare he was directing at me.

It was breaking my heart, but-

"Sorry doesn't fix everything YN. Sorry doesn't fix anything." He groaned, his voice wobbling.

"I know, I know it doesn't," I whisper, my eyes never straying from his brown eyes. " But that doesn't mean that I'm not sorry."

He stays silent, looking at me with rage still behind his eyes. I had to take the chance.

" I am sorry Newt." He scoffs, glancing away from me. "Really I am! I wanted to protect you! I lied to protect everyone in this Glade!"

His eyes dart up to mine.

"If I had told everyone the truth, the truth that we're trapped here. At the time where we were. Everyone would have followed Nick. Everyone would have died Newt, and I couldn't do that. I couldn't risk that." I uttered softly.

He looks at the ground, his fist clenching and relaxing repeatedly. I shakily, hesitantly take a step towards him. 

"You weren't in a good place. I knew that Newt, and I didn't- I couldn't." I choke up as a sob rips through my throat. "Emmy loves you Newt. She already thinks of you as her father. And I-"

"Don't say you love me."

I inhaled sharply, my tears stopping in their tracks, my lips parted in mid-sentence. I stare at him, but he kept his gaze on the ground. The silence between us was deafening, not even the whirling of the beetle blades could be heard. Tense shoulders shakily fell slack to my sides.

"Wh-what?"

His head tilts up, eyes closed as he inhales deeply. As he opens his eyes, I could feel my heart falter in my chest.

"Don't, not after what you've done. Don't say you love me."

The air escaped my lungs and the ice-filled my veins. Darkness invaded my vision, but I could still see him. I could still see him looking at me, waiting for a moment. And I could only watch as he turned his back and walked away. Leaving me behind in the dark.

It was breaking my heart, but-

But I deserved it.

[THIRD POV]

Minho and Alby watched as Newt walked out of the forest with his fist clenched tightly. Minho glanced at Alby, who shook his head in reply. Minho glances worriedly back at the forest and Newt. 

"It'll sort out by itself Minho, don't mingle with it," Alby said before walking off.

Minho sighed before turning around, walking back to his hammock. As he sat down he heard the sound of footsteps from deeper from within the forest. As he turned his head up he paused when he saw YN walking into her room.

The door shut quietly behind her, barely even noticeable. And Minho for the first time was worried about her.

~TIME SKIP~

Five minutes until the door open and YN was already by the doors waiting. Minho frowned as he walked closer to the doors, Emmy already sprinting past him calling out to her.

"Mamma, why didn't you wake me!" She called out as she jumped into YN's arms.

Smiling down at her, she combs her fingers through her daughter's hair. "Sorry, I just thought you would've liked to sleep in a little bit longer."

Minho quietly stopped beside YN, casting a glance over his shoulder at Newt who was already working on the vegetables. 

"Okay, but next time wake me up! I like seeing you off." Emmy exclaimed.

YN smiled gently down at her before nodding her head. And the familiar sound of the doors opening filled the air, all heads turning to the door to watch the runners start their run. Minho turned and watched as Emmy ran back towards the Glade, and his eyes went straight to where Newt was. 

Newt was looking at YN, watching her as she had hesitated for a moment after she had turned and faced the maze. And he looked away the moment she had ran in between the doors. Minho sighed, before turning heel and following after her. His long legs managed to catch up with her within a few seconds before she turned the corner.

"Hey, are you oka-"

"I'm fine Minho." She interrupted her eyes trained in front of her as they ran side by side.

His hand reached out and grabbed her shoulder, pulling her to a stop. He glares softly down at her.

"YN, you're like my little sister. I'm not leaving until you tell me what wrong, and don't try lying because I can tell when you're lying to me." He stated, crossing his arms.

She slowly looked up at him before sighing with a soft smile on her lips. "I'm fine Minho, really I am. Nothing's wrong with me, okay? I'm just . . .  a little tired."

He frowns. "If you're tired then you can just stay in the Glade. You know those Shanks will understand."

YN shakes her head turning back ahead. 

"I can't go back Minho. I need to find it. There has to be a way out, what other reason would we be stuck in the center of the maze? I need to find it, it has to be here. It has to be." She remarked worriedly, her hands rolling into fists.

Minho sighed and nodded his head. "Alright, but are you-"

"I'm fine Minho, trust me. So please stop asking, we're running behind and wasting time." She ran ahead of him, and this time, he didn't stop her.

|NEWT POV| 

I huffed as I pulled another carrot from the ground, throwing it into the wheel barrel we had put on the side. I glance at the door, feeling my guilt eating me up inside.

'I shouldn't have said that. I have to apologize.' A part of my heart cries, wanting to forgive her.

'But she lied to me. To all of us. And what about Emmy?' 

At the mention of the girl, I turn to look for her in the Glade. I sigh in relief as I see her leaning against the homestead lookout tower. Her fingers working quickly as she makes her long hair into a messy braid. She redoes it, trying to comb her fingers to untangle the strands of her hair, to make it smoother.

"Newt, you can take a break. You've been working nonstop since the runners ran out." Zart says, patting my shoulder.

I sigh and nod my head, stumbling as I stand up. Zart had his arms up, bracing for it I were to fall, but I catch myself. I give him a small nod in thanks before making my way towards Emilia. YN's words ring through my head as I approach the girl.

'She already thinks of you as her father!'

I felt my heart flutter at the thought of being her father. 

"Newt! Are you done? Can you play with me?" She asks with her big brown eyes.

I smile as a small chuckle escapes me, and I quickly sit down beside her.

"I came over here to help you with your hair, if you would like my help that is." I offer.

She smiles widely and nods her head rapidly. "Yes please!"

I chuckle at her reply as she turns her back to me, handing me the hair tie that was on her wrist. She hums softly as I carefully try to comb her hair so it's easier to braid it. And then I tried to remember how YN had shown me how to do it.

" Are you mad at Mommy?" Emmy suddenly asks, causing me to falter.

I inhale deeply, before letting it out and continuing to braid her hair. 

"What makes you think that I'm mad at her?" I question.

"You didn't kiss her goodbye. You always kiss her goodbye."

I smile slightly before nodding. "I didn't today, did I," I whisper to myself.

"Should I forgive her?" I ask Emmy.

Emmy hums slightly before nodding slightly. "Mommy loves you, so she doesn't like it when you're mad at her. Plus I'm sure Mommy's sorry for whatever she's done."

I close my eyes for a moment, nodding my head slightly. And I smiled.

"Yeah. I'll forgive her." I whisper.

{YOUR POV}

I walk towards the cliff, where the end is nothing but a wall. I sigh softly, stepping closer towards it carefully raising my hand. The wall was cold against my warm hand, and slowly I brush my hand across the wall. Searching for something, anything.

"There must be something here, it's the only thing that doesn't make sense," I mutter under my breath.

Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, or I'm just overthinking-

I could feel it, just below my fingertips. A crack and I could feel a small breeze coming from it.

A breath, a gasp escaped my lips as I ran my fingers up and down the crack. I laughed happily as I realized there was a way out. But I paused.

"How do we open-"

A beeping sound interrupted my thoughts. I glanced down at my watch, the alarm blinking up at me. 

5 minutes before the doors closed.

I felt the air freeze in my lungs. 

I wasn't going to make it.

But I had to try.

I turned heel and ran for my life.

Because it really was my life on the line. 

But the sound of clicking, whirling made my blood freeze.

|NEWT POV|

"Hey, where's YN?" I heard a Glader say in the distance, and I frowned.

"Yeah, I haven't seen her come back in yet." 

"Do you think she's okay?"

I look at the doors, noticing that all the runners were back. All except YN. Minho was staring out the doors, but I could tell he was worried because his foot was tapping against the ground.

"Momma's not back yet?" Emmy asked softly, staring at the doors.

"She'll be back soon Emmy, don't worry," I whisper, hugging her tightly before walking towards the doors.

Minho turned towards me as I stopped beside him, his gaze hardened. 

"I don't what happened between you two, but if she doesn't come back-"

"Minho, if she doesn't come back. I don't know what I'll do. She's got to bloody come back. She always comes back." I murmur to him, glancing at him from the corner of my eyes.

He pauses, glancing down at Emmy who was clutching onto my hand tightly. 

"I'm not letting you leave her too, Newt. She can't lose both of her parents in one day." He hisses softly back at me. 

I turn towards him in shock before shaking my head and looking back into the maze.

The time was counting down, and each second brought more and more worry. The Gladers surrounded the entrance of the maze as we all waited for her to turn the corner and run back into the Glade with a smile. My heart was racing at the thought of her not coming back, I was terrified. 

The wind howled, just as always, and I felt my heart sink into my stomach. The loud cranking sound was heard as the doors began to close. 

"Momma?" The broken whisper was the only thing we could hear as the doors were closing.

I felt her hand slowly slipping out of mine, and I reached out as she had started running into the maze. As I pull her back, other Gladers helped me bring her back into the Glade. She was kicking, screaming as I picked her up and pulled her out of the doorway.

"YN!" Minho yells.

Emilia's fighting stops and we all look up as we notice YN around the corner. But she was hurt, cradling her injured arm.

"Is that blood?" 

"She's bleeding!"

"MOMMA!"

I stare as my blood freezes to a stop. She was too far away, and she was injured. Her face was red, both from the blood spilling from the wound on her forehead and from running. She was struggling to even stand upright, having to lean against the wall to keep herself standing.

Everything went silent as our eyes connected. I couldn't feel Emmy thrashing in my arms, or hear her screams for YN. I couldn't hear the Gladers behind me calling her name, telling her to run. I could only hear her as she smiled at me, her words I could hear as I read her lips.

"It's okay. I'm sorry Newt. I love you." 

And the doors let out a familiar boom as they fully shut. 

"MOOOMMMMAAAAAAA!"

I slowly place Emmy on the ground, my knees growing weak with each passing second. Minho picked her up, holding her while carrying her back to the homestead while I stayed by the doors. The moment my hand touched the concrete, my knees hit the ground and my tears fall freely. 

My last words to her, I had told her-

"YN. I didn't mean it, please. I didn't mean it, so please come back to me. I'm not ready to say goodbye, please don't make me say goodbye. Please don't make me say goodbye! I love you YN, so please. PLEASE! COME BACK! Come back to me, please. pl-ease. I don't want to lose you. I can't lose you, please. please. please."

"YYNN!"

"MOOOMMMMAAAAAA! COME BAAAAACK! MOOOMMMAAAA!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

408K 10.1K 21
This is my first character x reader book, so sorry if it sucks! When the maze was being built, their was a family that snuck in unnoticed. Their fami...
37.4K 1.1K 14
|Second story of A14| ×My Innocents is not Ignorance× Her mother thought to be dead, and the Glade slowly falling to pieces, Emmy finds herself at th...
447K 11.6K 38
❛I know we're not everlasting, We're a train wreck waiting to happen.❜ Lori wakes up inside a grave, along with a body. Finally a boy helps her...
27.4K 1.1K 44
" 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒂𝒛𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒎𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎𝒔. " 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 Dawn and Lisa arrive in the Glade, surrounded by an enormous Maze an...