we the cursed, nct dream ✔

By pinkpaesta

Juno's life will never be the same. She was normal, before. But a series of unfortunate events lands her in t... More

foreword
the beginning
part one
part two
part four
part five
part six
part seven
part eight
part nine
part ten
part eleven
part twelve
part thirteen
part fourteen
part fifteen
part sixteen
part seventeen
part eighteen
part nineteen
part twenty
part twenty-one
part twenty-two
part twenty-three
part twenty-four
part twenty-five
part twenty-six
part twenty-seven
part twenty-eight
part twenty-nine
part thirty
part thirty-one
part thirty-two
part thirty-three
part thirty-four
part thirty-five
part thirty-six
part thirty-seven
part thirty-eight
part thirty-nine
part forty
part forty-one
part forty-two
part forty-three
part forty-four
part forty-five
part forty-six
part forty-seven
part forty-eight
part forty-nine
part fifty
part fifty-one
part fifty-two
part fifty-three
part fifty-four
part fifty-five
part fifty-six
part fifty-seven
part fifty-eight
part fifty-nine
part sixty
part sixty-one
part sixty-two
part sixty-three
part sixty-four
part sixty-five
part sixty-six
part sixty-seven
part sixty-eight
part sixty-nine
the end
the end pt. 2
afterword

part three

1K 67 5
By pinkpaesta

⇉ the one where she makes the lists.

part three

Juno is the type of person that likes to make lists.

Back home, she drafted a list for everything. Homework pieces that must be all completed in a specific night, ingredients she needed to get from the store to make whatever new dish she wanted to try, possible locations for her next date with Hyunjin, you name it. Whenever there was something that needed to be tackled but she had no idea where to even start, Baek Juno always wrote down a list.

And now, she sees no other way to even begin to comprehend the mystery that is this school without making a list detailing exactly what it is that she knows so far - both from her own deductions, and the conversation she'd just had with the three boys in the cafeteria.

What I Know:

1. I am a telekinetic (that's what it's called, apparently).

2. All the kids here have some type of power.

3. This school is made up ONLY of kids with said powers.

4. Having 'powers' is by no means a normal thing (wtf!!).

5. This private boarding school is located, not on Jeju Island, but on some other private island nearby.

What I Don't Know:

1. Why do I have this power? Why do any of us do?

2. Why did I get transferred in my senior year, instead of in my sophomore year as everyone else is?

3. Why do the welcome brochures and advertisements say that this school is located in Jeju, when it isn't?

4. Are the kids here the only ones with these abilities, or are there more of us out there?

5. Why do the grades only stretch from sophomore year to senior year, instead of freshman year and up?

6. Why does a "correctional institution" seem so wealthy? Who is funding all of this?

7. How can they be sure that everyone coming here even has a power?

8. Why was my luggage checked so thoroughly before I could even get on the jet?

9. Exactly what will happen after we graduate and become "corrected?"

Juno sighs, longing to tell someone back home about the craziness that is this place, but there is just no way to get in contact with the outside world.

How convenient.

Once again, she flips the notebook cover over. The much longer list of unknowns stares back at her, and her eyes narrow with a steely resolve. As a naturally curious person, she knows that there is a decision to be made. She can forget about all of this; walk away from it all and just quietly finish her senior year.

But.

Something feels incredibly sketchy. It doesn't help, either, that the part of her which loves a good mystery is thrumming with excitement. In that moment, Juno knows that ignoring it all will simply prove to be impossible even if she tries.

The sound of chatter outside grows louder, and Juno glances towards the door. It is now time for dinner, and even though her stomach growls slightly, the earlier snacks having not satiated her raging hunger, she decides against going outside. The guys from earlier had thoughtfully invited her to have dinner with them should she decide to show, but her inner introvert takes hold. After the conversation in the cafeteria, her social battery is completely drained. She knows she's only delaying the inevitable for breakfast tomorrow, but she doesn't really care.

And so she sits at her desk, uncertainty building in her chest. Her thoughts are full; brain occupied. The homesickness begins to set in, and she allows it. Juno misses her parents, her friends, even her home. Now, she's been thrown into a strange place and forced to tough it out for an entire year.

Eventually, Juno gets up to do what she usually does to clear her head: go for a run. She recalls seeing a gym earlier during her wandering, so she quickly changes into some workout clothes. This place seems to be outfitted with many different amenities and services, which is probably supposed to distract from the fact that no one is allowed to step foot outside the school.

She's not fooled.

After pulling on yoga pants, a sports bra, and a thin zippered hoodie, she approaches the door and presses an ear against it, wanting to ensure that the hallway outside her room is mostly empty before she decides to leave. When she can hear no more noise, she quietly opens the door with a soft click and tiptoes outside. Tomorrow, her social battery will have recharged. But right now, she's not looking forward to running into anyone.

No such luck.

Just as she's leaving, the door to the room beside hers swings open. Out steps the boy from earlier, looking much more relaxed compared to the last time she'd seen him. They stare at each other for a moment, an uncomfortable silence descending over the two but neither willing to break it.

"Listen, I'm sorry about earlier," she feels the need to say, finally. "It was inconsiderate of me to cause such a commotion when you were trying to sleep. I'm still quite new here, so-"

"Yeah, okay," he interrupts rudely, eyes lingering on her form for a brief second before turning to leave. "So noisy," she hears him mutter under his breath as he starts to walk away.

"What a jerk," she says, loud enough for him to hear. He stops walking, but she just flips her hair and stalks off in the other direction without waiting for a confrontation. Juno stews silently as she walks. She knows she has a tendency to talk a lot, and no doubt the ruckus earlier would've disgruntled her had she been in his shoes. But still, not accepting the apology she'd been trying to make was a jerk move.

Whatever. Hopefully, they would not cross paths again.

Juno reaches the gym with surprising ease, already beginning to know her way around the place. The space is supplied with various forms of equipment, from treadmills and ellipticals to punching bags. Yet again, she can't help but wonder who (or what) is funding all this fanciness.

It's all but empty, with most people at the cafeteria for dinner. A couple of students shoot her curious glances, but she ignores them as she steps onto a treadmill and starts running. Pleased to find a music app and earbuds that came with the school-issued phone, she immediately puts them in and turns the music - the latest pop stuff that she likes - on high volume to block out whatever troubling thoughts that would inevitably come.

Just as Juno's completing her fifth lap, there's a light tap on her shoulder. She ignores it at first, assuming she's imagined it, but when she feels it again she stops the treadmill and takes out her earphones, turning around to see a small middle-aged woman staring back at her.

"There you are, dear," the woman smiles warmly. "I'm Mrs. Yu, the counselor here. I understand that you're new..." She looks down at the clipboard in front of her,  "Baek Juno?"

"Yes, ma'am," Juno replies meekly, albeit a little confused.

"Usually, I meet up with the new students for a little chat just to explain a couple of things and give some advice. I apologize for coming so late, this afternoon was incredibly busy. But if you've got a minute, we can go talk in my office, very briefly."

"Sure, yeah," Juno says, and hops off the treadmill. This might be her chance to get some answers. "Please, lead the way."

They walk out of the space and take flights of stairs down until Juno notices that they're on the ground floor. Then they enter what looks like an office that appears deceptively small until they venture further inside. They come upon a heavy wooden door, and Mrs. Yu knocks on it twice and turns to Juno with a reassuring smile. "Our Headmaster will meet with you first, and then he'll bring you over to me. Okay?"

Juno doesn't get a chance to reply because the door swings open suddenly to reveal a stern-looking man behind it. His brows are drawn together in a disapproving expression, and he peers at Juno over his glasses. "Our newest student, I presume? Come on in."

After a bit of hesitation - what choice does she have, anyway? - Juno crosses the threshold into his office. He gestured for her to take a seat opposite his desk, which she does. He clears his throat and gets right down to business. "Miss Baek Juno, is it?" he asks, glancing down at the papers in front of him. "You do understand why you're here?"

"No, sir," she answers honestly, and he raises a brow. "I was told this correctional institution would rid me of the... episodes I'd had lately, but I'm not sure."

"That is part of it," he allows. "But I'm sure you've noticed that with these came some kind of strange... ability, no?" She nods. "This school is designed to help you understand that ability and hone it to its fullest degree, thus eliminating such episodes in the future - in addition to the usual high school curriculum, of course."

"Oh." She pauses. "So after graduating, we're just sent back out with these powers?"

"Only if you've gained completely mastery over it. If not, the power is taken away for the sake of your safety and that of others." The Headmaster adjusts his glasses, continuing before she can interrupt with a question. 

"Here at Tangiso, we have three main rules. Number one: focus on mastery is paramount. This refers both to academics and your ability - they come before all else, and despite the seeming freedom students are allowed, distractions will not be tolerated." Juno wants to laugh. Freedom? Really? "Two: there is absolutely no contact with the outside world. No negotiations. And any discovered attempt to do so will be severely punished. Lastly, all students must remain on campus at all times. This school sits on an unexplored island; attempting to "escape" won't just be foolish, but futile. Any questions?"

So many. 

But his harsh gaze keeps her quiet. "No, sir."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

786K 31.2K 42
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1.5M 49.2K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
324K 15.1K 37
"excuse me what?! i cheated on who?!!" [ social media au + lowercase intended ] well let's just say that their friendship starts off on the wrong foo...
275K 13.8K 36
"i think you're my soulmate." "dude, just take your coffee." +in which jaemin meets his soulmate in a coffee shop soulmate au. swearing used. highes...