good things fall apart • siri...

Por foolintherain

Not even the Youngest Descendant of Godric Gryffindor knew what was so special about her family's sword. The... Mais

Summer 1971
The Marauders
I'll race you
Stars, planets, galaxies
James Potter and his ducklings
Oblivious
Important business
In style
What makes her so special?
It's a mess
Enough
We are Gods
He'll hate me forever
I'll still like you
Gryffindor
Trés bon!
Who do you love?
Curly haired boys
My Cubby
Crashing down
Gone
These things aren't easy
17th January 1975
20th January 1975
23rd January 1975
24th January 1975
25th January 1975
3rd Febuary 1975
Abandoned
Stumbling blindly
I should be doing alright
Us
Hogwarts is calling your name
Crowded mind
Good times, bad times
Birthday boy
We're often left confused
Say no to Sirius Black
Gryffindor red
I hate boys
The Youngest Descendent
My favourite
Cornered animals
Family
Padfoot
She's back
Rearrange the stars
Tell me
Misdemeanours
Stormy weather
Communication breakdown
Intervention
Those four letters
It was time
Betrothed?
Putting on a show
The Blacks
Wicked Walburga
Who's to blame?
You look like me now
Naked truth
Dogs
Out of hand
18th June 1976
A wonderful day at the Ministry
Brothers
Everything's changed
The handsome boy
Uncertainty
Watch me
Chaos and chickens
Answers
Teenage fantasies
Fancy who you want to fancy
Puppy
Compromised positions
Him or her?
Jealous
'I'm perfectly fine' is a lie
Fragile things get broken
Baby steps
Patriarchs
Tattoos together
It wasn't that type of trip
Pretty stars burn out eventually
No more hiding
The beautiful girl
I love you
Reflections
Care
Stay away
Let's fight this together
Perfect
Important interruptions
Si beau!
Bliss and Beauxbatons
Rabastan
Unreachable dreams
Suffocated
Camille Dubois
Storm Sirius
We're bad for each other
You've been so brave
Forever now
Good things fall apart
The end-ish
During the Christmas Holidays 1977
1st August 1978

Future weddings and firewhisky

739 25 16
Por foolintherain

There was always one explanation for when the boys' clothes went missing. You'd think it wouldn't be a common occurrence, but three of the Marauders found themselves a top or a jumper or even the odd pair of pyjama bottoms missing on many occasions. The only one that never seemed to be missing any of his clothes was Peter, for he was a little too small for the culprit. However, James, Sirius and Remus didn't go a week without at least one item seemingly disappearing.

At first it was the occasional lend of something to sleep in, and then last year it turned into an act of kindness when comforting, but by their fifth year, the issue had evolved into something much more troublesome for the boys. There was often an early morning upturn of their dorm whilst one of them sort out the top they desperately wanted to wear that weekend, and to their great dismay, it usually wouldn't show up for a couple more days.

Remus even resorted to hiding his jumpers under his mattress for a week in October, because it got to a point where he only had one left.

The messy haired boy didn't mind so much, for James knew he had a surplus number of satin shirts that would never be taken, and he would often wear the same thing on multiple days, and so a lot of his clothes never quite found their way back to his trunk, the things that were in there not being his favourites either.

However, Sirius Black found it rather frustrating. Most of the time, it was his clothes that were missing, and Remus would tell him it's because he didn't take the necessary precautions to prevent the thief, but Sirius had struggled understanding why he should have to hide his clothes in the first place. They were his for starters, and you shouldn't touch what wasn't yours, but the sticky-fingered criminal didn't see it that way.

Ellie Gryffin was a clothing poacher, and there was nothing that could be done to stop her.

Adorn in one of Remus' old knitted jumpers, the beautiful girl flicked through her sketchbook for a blank page. The sleeves of the khaki green fabric were far too long, but Ellie rolled them up, and was satisfied enough at that. Thick, chunky wool was needed at this time of year, and she was sure Remus wouldn't miss it too much - it was quite worn in places anyway.

Ellie had initially put it on when she woke up because it was comfy, but then she realised the full moon was tonight and wearing the lanky boy's jumper made her feel closer to him somehow. This would hopefully be one of the last full moons her friend would have to endure alone, for when the new year rolled around the group's quest to become Animagi went into full swing, the next full moon being the beginning of it all.

Her thoughts were wrapped in night skies and silver animals as she began to sketch, not even noticing the cool breeze let into the Orangery when the door flung open.

    "Cubby! Cyrus said you were in here." James Potter's booming voice made her jump, and she spun hastily on her stool in shock, "I love it in here! It's so cool, the way you could totally live out here. It's even got a little bathroom, right?" Ellie just nodded when she recovered from her fright.

    "Did you really miss me that much that you couldn't let me have two days on my own?" Always happy to see her best friend, she watched him flop backwards onto her bed with a grin on her face.

    "You're not allowed personal space away from me, it's the law. But anyway, I'm here on business." James scoffed in reply, a smile matching Ellie's on his face. The messy haired boy sat crisscross on top of the mattress waving a couple of books at her, "It's a full moon tonight, so I thought it a better night than any to finalise these plans for our little transfiguration side quest."

Having left the planning to James like last year, him being the most knowledgeable on the subject, the rest of the Marauders would wait patiently until they were all back together to hear how they were going to pull everything off.

Ellie tugged at Remus' jumper absentmindedly at the mention of the full moon, twirling a loose thread in her fingers, careful not to pull it out any further. Recognising the beautiful girl's attire, James sighed slightly to himself. He knew Ellie would be worrying, and as much as they all didn't like the idea of Remus having to face what he did each full moon, there was nothing they could do for now. The messy haired boy saw the way his best friend blamed herself for them not starting this process last year, it literally ate her up from the inside until you could almost see the cogs turning in her brain as she mulled it over.

    "Keeping him close in spirit I see." Attempting to cheer Ellie up, James did what he did best. Tease her, "You know, Moony might want his green chunky sweater. It's not my favourite colour personally, but he does wear it rather often Cubs."

Ellie shot him a glare.

    "Well, I'm wearing it right now and I'm not about to owl it him back, so sod off." She snapped playfully after seeing James' grin turn cheeky.

    "I'm just saying." He held his hands up in mock defence, "But if I didn't know any better, I'd say it looked as if you were still harbouring feelings for our werewolf friend." James knew this wasn't the case, but it was fun to watch Ellie's face screw up in annoyance.

    "I'm not twelve anymore." She replied firmly.

Her feelings for Remus had been short lived and hadn't amounted to anything more. Looking back, Ellie thought she probably hadn't actually liked Remus as much as she thought she did at the time, for it was extremely easy to let her feelings go for the sake of their still budding friendship. At the time it felt like she was in love with him, when really it was nothing but a crush, and probably more curiosity than anything. He was a new friend, and despite having only grown up being friends with James, she wasn't used to being surrounded by so many boys.

The messy haired boy just snorted at her reply.

    "If you keep stealing our clothes like this though, they'll come a time we have to retaliate. Do you really want that?"

Different scenarios of what this 'retaliation' may look like flashed in Ellie's head: her clothes in tatters strung across her dorm room floor; everything the same shade of garishly bright orange and no way to change the colour back; every piece of clothing she owned handed out to the students of Gryffindor house for free and having nothing but her underwear left to dress in. If her friends were involved it could go in any direction, but would they really dare?

    "I don't think you want to threaten me James Potter." Ellie would never turn down a challenge, "You'll only come off worse!" She spoke in a sing song voice, arrogance radiating around her like some form of protective shield.

    "Who said I was threatening?" James smirked, mischief behind his words which made them both chuckle.

Ellie hummed mindlessly to a tune stuck in her head whilst she sketched, and James flicked through his books on Animagi, both just content in each other's company.

Despite having new scenery to draw now she was home, the beautiful girl found herself scribbling pictures of her messy haired best friend still. She preferred to draw people, more specifically her friends, because she felt they captured people in raw and vulnerable moments. They were like candid photographs, but held lots more love and character - like the drawing she had on the easel of James and Sirius with the ties around their foreheads. That sketch would forever make her heart swell, because she could remember the exact second that she decided to draw them like that, and all the effort that was put in to remember the way they looked in the moment.

She often wondered where she'd be if she put that much effort into other things such as homework. She didn't get bad grades by any stretch, but Ellie also knew she could put at least twice the effort into her work than she actually did. Yet, it wasn't as easy as that. Having James and Sirius jumping and screaming all the time made it difficult not to want to join in, who would want to sit in the library over having a laugh with your mates?    

    "Happy Christmas Eve by the way. I'm glad Cyrus said you guys are coming round tonight still. I thought maybe he wouldn't want to this year." James had smeared ink on his face from taking notes out of the books, his hair sticking up in all different directions, even messier than usual, "Mum keeps asking about Lily. Wants me to invite her to the New Year's Eve party... fat chance."

Ellie noticed the hopeless tone in James' voice. He'd tried the day after the ball to talk to Lily, to explain everything, but she wouldn't have any of it. When Lily Evans wanted to ignore someone, she could do it well. And the red head wouldn't even listen to Ellie explain the situation, she was far too caught up in the fact that James ruined what could've been a very wonderful night.

    "...She'll never speak to me again, will she?"

    "You know what she's like, I'm sure she'll let it go eventually." Ellie joined her best friend on her bed, nudging his shoulder gently, "Besides, Snivellus probably made up some utter codswallop about why you punched him. I bet he told Lily that he was doing nothing wrong and you just decided to beat him up for sport. Once she knows what really happened, she'll have to get over it."

James still looked deflated. The night of the ball hadn't turned out like any of them had hoped, but it had certainly seemed the worst for James. The messy haired boy thought that, besides her little wobble, Ellie had come off virtually unscathed. She'd had a good time with Sirius, and he would still talk to her, but James had a good time with Lily and now she wouldn't even breathe the same air as him - it was all a total disaster.

    "How is she supposed to find out the truth when she won't even speak to me!" Collapsing back dramatically onto the bed, James sighed. The situation couldn't possibly get any worse, "I'll die alone... That's it. I'll be completely and pathetically alone forever. I couldn't possibly marry anyone else because Lily Evans is the only one in the world for me. I'm going to have to watch her marry and have stupid, little slimy children with Snape, whilst I and the Potter name wither away into a pile of forgotten dust!"

Ellie stifled snickers, James truly was a drama queen, and he dragged his hands over his face. Knocking his glasses crooked, he squirmed around on the bed as if he wanted it to eat him whole.

    "If worse comes to worse Jamie, I'll marry you." Patting his back, Ellie chuckled watching James' face remerge from within all of the blankets.

    "You would? You'd go against your free and single philosophy for me?" The messy haired boy looked rather like a lost puppy, eyes wide and glassy, a big pout on his lips and then suddenly an emotion flashed over his face faster than Ellie had time to register it, "YES!"

He leaped up, nearly toppling over from the uneven surface, throwing his hands in the air. Ellie blinked furiously, trying to keep up with whatever was going on in his mind, but she just found herself laughing at his ridiculousness.

    "That's perfect! Then we can be super cool and get amazing jobs. I'll become Head Auror at the Ministry and you can be some really sick Dragon trainer or famous Quidditch player for the Holyhead's, and we'll totally outshine the teacher's pet twins!" Ellie snorted as James pulled her up to stand with him, twirling her around in a haphazard fashion, "You're the best Cubs! I'm gonna go tell mum!"

James leaped off the bed, rushing to the door after grabbing all his work, nearly throwing ink all over Ellie's mattress. How his mind worked, she'd never know, but no one would ever be as dramatic as James Potter that was for sure.

    "I'll see you tonight. And don't write to Lily and tell her! This is our secret plan to take them down." Calling over his shoulder as he left, James practically sprinted back down the gravel path out of the tiny walled garden, leaving Ellie doubled over in hysterics, "Bet you didn't see that one coming Evans..."

Crashing back into his house, James struggled to keep his work in his hands. Having left Ellie in such a hurry to get back home, everything had got crumpled and half his pot of ink was lost along the way. He slid sidewards on the tiled floor of the hallway, passing his father who just shrugged and didn't ask questions. It was a common occurrence for James to be charging around in the house. The messy haired boy roared for his mother, making his way towards the living room, as his vice echoed around the house. The Potters' home was a substantial size for just the three of them, so it took James a few moments to reach his destination.

    "MUM! Mum, Me and Cubby are getting married!"

He skidded to a halt, only just managing to stay on his feet, scrunching his nose up as his glasses fell down his face. In the midst of his urgency, the messy haired boy hadn't noticed the Hogwarts trunk in the hallway, nor the familiar black combat boots by the doormat.

    "You're doing what?"

Sirius Black sat opposite Euphemia on one of the big plush sofas, hugging a fluffy cushion tight to his chest. A little ash smeared on his nose, it was clear the handsome boy had flooed to them straight from Grimmauld Place. The open wounds he arrived with on his back were still tender, but otherwise healed, and he had no desire to tell Ellie or James about them, since they weren't there to know in the first place - they'd only worry, and he really didn't want that. Sirius and Euphemia had been having a pleasant conversation about his first term back at Hogwarts after everything was healed and sorted, but now they'd been interrupted by James' explosive arrival.

Neither of them were quite sure they'd heard the messy haired boy right, sending him questioning glances.

    "SIRIUS YOU'RE HERE!" No less calm than he had been two seconds ago, James dropped everything in his arms to throw himself at his best friend. Euphemia gasped and tutted as the remaining ink her son had went splattering across the rug, "Just couldn't stay away from me, could you?"

Having tackled Sirius over on the sofa, they wrestled playfully as James tried to ruffle up his hair, much to the handsome boy's displeasure. Euphemia flapped her hands at them both to stop their boyish nonsense, taking out her wand and giving it a quick swish to clear up the spilt ink.

Once they were both sat up straighter, James gave Sirius' face the once over, checking for any new cuts or bruises. Noticing, Sirius shook his head slightly at the messy haired boy, silently telling him they'd talk later about what caused his visit. To James' relief however, Sirius seemed to look unusually himself, not a tinge of purple or drop of blood in sight.

    "What were you saying about Cubby?" Sirius asked as calm returned to the room, giving James one last shove for good measure.

    "We're going to get married! Sorry mate, it's a matter of pride and justice."

Euphemia tutted again when James kicked his feet up onto the low coffee table in between the two sofas, slouching back as if his announcement was a casual one.

His mother looked rather shellshocked, used to James' over dramatics, but still unsure whether he was joking or not. Sirius looked almost the same, but his eyebrows were furrowed, displeased to hear the statement whether it was true or not. Why is everything about marriage all of a sudden? He thought bitterly back to the circumstances that had brought him to the Potter's.

    "Now, I don't want this to cause a rift between us, but I am willing to duel for her..." James seemed to be talking in complete gibberish. He never expressed any interest in liking Ellie before, and now all of a sudden, he was ready to battle for her hand, "Not that you'd really stand a chance mind, she's already said yes." Wiggling his eyebrows, James had a triumphant expression on his face, one that looked as if he was deadly serious.

    "James Fleamont Potter, get your feet off the table and explain right now what an earth you're going on about!"

Euphemia pointed a stern finger at her son, but James didn't seem fazed at all. He simply sat up straight and cleared his throat as if about to make a big speech. Sirius was staring at the cushion he had returned to hugging, mind-blowingly lost over what seemed to be going on. James likes Lily... In fact, James is in love with Lily. Lily Evans. Lily Evans who is a completely different person to my Ellie Gryffin.

    "Well, you see, I have just returned from seeing Miss Cubby," The messy haired boy began, "And we have made the mutual decision that us getting married is the only logical move forward."

Was James embellishing the story slightly? Yes. Was he being over dramatic about the situation? Naturally. Was he enjoying watching his mother go into a blind panic? Absolutely.

    "Only logical move forward... Where has this even come from? I hope you aren't serious James."

Euphemia had never once thought Ellie and James would end up together - from the moment they could start babbling, it was plainly clear that they were exactly like siblings. Not to mention the fact she'd just this morning had a conversation with her son over breakfast about Lily Evans, who she was under the impression, James had his heart set on. The loving woman could also see Sirius' face, him slumping further down as his best friend recounted the event. The handsome boy looked deflated and lost in thought, his face scrunched up in an expression that mildly resembled disgust.

She had known from the first time she'd seen Sirius set eyes on Ellie, back the first time he'd ever visited them, that he held a special affection for her un-biological daughter. Euphemia was certain James couldn't be completely clueless and not see this too, especially living with the boy back at school, and this added even more confusion to the circumstance. She thought better of her son than to rub Sirius' nose in something like this.

    "Well of course I'm not Sirius, he's sat right there." His mother rolled her eyes at the over-told joke James made with a cheeky grin on his face. Sirius just huffed, "I bet he wishes he was me though, 'cause I'm one hundred and ten percent telling the truth!"

    "James!" Euphemia scolded with a gasp, watching Sirius tuck his legs up to his chest as he screwed his face up even more.

She was afraid the handsome boy might burst out into tears any second, even though that wasn't quite Sirius' style, and it only made matters worse that James continued to boast with no remorse right in front of his face.

    "We're getting married and we're going to be super successful and trample all over Lily and her precious Severus Snape! If she's picking him, I have no other option but to outshine them and make her regret I wasn't her first choice." With a nod, James leaned back in his seat, casting a glance to Sirius beside him, "Why aren't you cheering?"

Confused as to why he didn't seem to be onboard with the take down of their archenemy, the messy haired boy frowned when Sirius just turned his head away.

    "Why isn't he cheering? Why isn't he cheering?!" James covered his ears as Euphemia's voice reached a shrill tone, "Sirius is not cheering because you have just trampled all over his feelings James! Have you no regard for your best friend's opinions on this quite ridiculous topic?"

Sirius' ears turned red in embarrassment whilst James just looked at him baffled.

    "His opinions should be positive ones!" Her son exclaimed, making Euphemia's blood begin to boil. James hadn't been raised to be so un-empathetic, and she was preparing to kick him out of the house if he continued, "This is tactical. Calculated and strategic. A battle plan to ensure the overall demise of Snivellus. If Lily Evans wants a challenge, I'll give her a challenge."

Slapping his hands on his knees as if preparing to start his plan now, James narrowed his eyes in competition. How don't they understand that this is the ultimate checkmate? His mother gazed at him perplexed, and Sirius uncomfortably shuffled away, still looking at the cushion hugged close to him. James waited for either one of them to say something - anything that showed how clever he thought his plan to be. Ellie seemed happy enough with the arrangement. Anything to put Snape in his place.

    "Hang on..." As if it hit him in a wave, James' eyes went wide in realisation. He glanced between his mother and best friend, it now painfully clear why no one seemed to be on the same page, "I don't like Cubby. We're not in love or anything!" Shooting up out of his seat panicked, James waved his hands in the air frantically, "This isn't what this is! No, no, no..."

    "Announcing marriage usually suggests there is at least an ounce of love there, James." Slightly relieved, but still outraged at the situation, Euphemia stood too.

James cowered under her angry gaze, anxiously running a hand through his hair.

    "It's more like a business deal. A union of common interests..." He shrugged.

Euphemia placed her hands on her hips, no less angered by James' desperate attempts to explain himself. The messy haired boy glanced at Sirius, for there was never a time they weren't there to back each other up, but the handsome boy still wasn't looking. In fact, Sirius looked about ready to dive back into the fireplace again. He wouldn't even cast one look James' way, and once more, the messy haired boy was hit with a tsunami of realisation.

Oh shit.

    "NO! No Sirius, no!" Flinging himself to the floor in front of his best friend, James suddenly realised where all the shock and upset had come from over the matter. He tore the cushion from Sirius, trying to get in his line of sight, arms and legs flailing everywhere, "It's not like that Sirius, I SWEAR! I'll promise on my life it's not. Ask Cubby yourself, she was the one that suggested it..."

As soon as the words had left his mouth James knew he'd messed up even more. For the first time, Sirius turned his gaze onto James, eyes glassy and filled with an emotion the messy haired boy had never seen in them before.

    "She suggested you two get married?" His voice so quiet, the room almost sounded silent, Sirius's words getting stuck in his throat.

The handsome boy wasn't so sure why the confusing news of James and Ellie supposedly being married bothered him so much. Maybe it was because he thought after the ball things were a little different? Sirius had felt the atmosphere between him and the beautiful girl shift more on the fateful night of the ball. He hadn't placed where he now thought they stood, but something was even more drastically different. A very good different. She'd looked at him with those big sea green eyes in a way she'd never had done before, and all Sirius knew was that he wanted her to keep looking at him like that for the rest of their lives.

Yet, an unsettling weight he knew all too well sat on his shoulders again as James had made his announcement. That look in Ellie's eyes was the one thing he felt might truly only be his, the one thing no one could take away from him, and now it felt like he'd been abandoned yet again. Maybe I was just never destined for anyone to choose me first.

    "Sirius..." James' voice was careful and unwavering.

He cursed himself for even opening his mouth on the topic once he'd found out his best friend had arrived. Not that he'd ever say it to his face, but James knew Sirius' emotions were substantially fragile, and sometimes he was hurt by words more than expected.

It's what made the handsome boy such a hot-head and prone to impulsive behaviour. Years of scrutiny and punishments for what he believed were normal behaviours had poked holes Sirius' emotional stability so that it was flimsy and easily disrupted. It only got worse after he was deemed a 'blood traitor', James often finding himself comforting his best friend on matters he shouldn't have to be comforted on in the first place. And the topic of a certain female friend of theirs would never be an exception.

James knew Sirius wouldn't understand or accept he had feelings for Ellie yet, and now he felt like the creator of a torturous reality.

    "Hear me when I say this. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is going on between me and Cubs. She was just trying to comfort me about Evans, and I got over dramatic as usual. I am absolutely, positively not in love with her and never will be..." Searching Sirius' face for some indication his words were going in, James desperately pleaded that he'd managed to express the situation properly. He hadn't meant for it to get out of hand like this, he was just blinded by revenge, "In fact, I have very good intel that suggests that she has the hots for someone else."

Pointing his finger at Sirius, the messy haired boy attempted to lighten the mood a little with a small cheeky grin. James mouthed the word 'you' at him so it was more than obvious, causing the handsome boy to point at his own chest his previously glassy eyes going wide.

Euphemia, astounded by the scenario that had unfolded before her, shook her head at the boys. She had no idea how everything had seemed to escalate to where it did, nor did she really want to know either. The minds of teenage boys still baffled her, and she sent silent prayers to Ellie for whatever the girl was going to meet when her and Cyrus arrived later tonight.

    "You're an actual twat, you know that?" Sirius shoved James backwards, a whole world of relief and calmness washing over him as everything sunk in.

He wasn't about to forgive the messy haired boy easily, but James jumped to his feet, rejoicing over the resolved problem. He dived on the sofa beside Sirius, who begrudgingly made room for him, happy to see the colour slowly returning to his face. Repeatedly being whacked with a cushion for a while, James decided he may need another plan to make Lily interested in him again. That's the last time I joke about Cubby's love life.

Despite having more than enough room to accommodate Sirius, the boys always both crashed in James' room. They'd tell Euphemia it was because they were used to sharing at Hogwarts, but they both knew secretly it was because Sirius didn't like to sleep in a room on his own. Loneliness had always been the devil that followed the handsome boy around and after finally feeling like he had a family when he went to school, he hated being anywhere else. James also liked to be near-by as he slept, just in case he was plagued with the nightmares that would have Sirius shooting awake in a cold sweat.

They were brothers and would be there for each other whether they were awake or not.

    "I swear they get worse every time I go back..." Sirius told the story of the less than two days he managed back at Grimmauld Place, both of the boys lounging lazily on James' huge bed, but he omitted the particularly nasty parts to prevent any excess worry on his best friend's part.

As soon as Walburga returned to their home, both sons in tow, she sent Sirius straight to his room. It wasn't until he was beginning to unpack a few of his belongings, that he heard the click of his bedroom door lock. He hadn't even seen his father yet, nor ate, and Sirius rushed straight over the door, banging loudly on the dark wood.

Walburga sneered from the other side of the door about not even wanting to see his face after the shame he'd brought on the family from his disgusting behaviour at the ball. Narcissa had in fact informed Sirius' Aunt Druella about his Muggle attire, and the information inevitably found its way to his mother. There wasn't a worse way Sirius could've acted in Walburga's eyes, especially at a formal event where many gazes would've been on him. She was disgusted that he'd spent their family's wealth on such sickening practices.

But that hadn't been the worst of it.

Being locked in his room wasn't a major issue for Sirius, the less time he had to spend in the company of his parents the better, but he was still shocked to find his door unlocked when he'd woke the next morning. Everyone was already pottering about the house when Sirius finally emerged from his bedroom, steps slow and cautious. He'd missed breakfast, Regulus was nowhere to be found, and to the handsome boy's dismay he came across both his parents arguing in the drawing room.

As manic as ever, Walburga had seemingly forgotten all about her son's attempts at joining Muggle culture after her words the previous night. The argument between his parents ceased to exist as soon as Sirius stepped foot into the room, both of them staring him down like he'd interrupted something extremely important. Sirius had no desire to stay in their company any longer than he needed to and decided that maybe it'd be best if he spent time in the library, for that was one of his least hated places in the house. However, Orion had spoken before he'd gotten his chance to escape.

"I hear you've been having relations with the Gryffin girl." Sirius had frozen in place.

There was no doubt that now he was in for a world of trouble. It was bad enough Sirius was friends with the people in his house, but now they believed that he and Ellie were together.

The handsome boy braced himself for whatever fate was awaiting him, Walburga's harsh gaze already punishment enough. He tried to deny the accusations, for they were false anyway, whether he had feelings for his best friend or not, but Orion cut him off by just raising a hand. His father was eyeing him more suspiciously than he ever had done, something strange masked on his features, and Sirius wondered if there was more than one reason he was upset about his supposed relationship with Ellie. Though he had no idea what that could be.

"You purposefully defy your mother and I in choosing this girl, and then disrespect us further by not informing us of your union. Do you not believe we are worthy enough to divulge information regarding the future of our family line to?"

Sirius hadn't known how to reply, standing there with his mouth opening and closing like a fish. He'd not been withholding information because there was no information to withhold in the first place. How they had interpreted he was about to propose to Ellie was beyond the handsome boy, and he had no way of explaining that he'd simply just kissed the girl on the platform out of affection. Sirius also wasn't entirely comfortable discussing the topic with anyone, let alone his belittling and judgmental parents.

"If you want to marry, it shall certainly not be to that despicable family of Muggle sympathisers!" It wasn't until Walburga opened her mouth that Sirius had started to feel the familiar anger bubbling up inside of him. She had no right to call out Ellie or her family, nor tell him who he could marry or not.

When had she ever been a mother enough to earn that authority?

"Don't talk about her like that!" The words had left his mouth before he'd had time to shut himself up, and all in the same moment Walburga had stalked over to him, swiftly taking the back of her hand to his cheek.

"You dare raise your voice at me, you insolent little..."

Orion proceeded to quiet his wife before she finished her sentence, his father very clearly wanting more information about the situation before Sirius was punished, but she'd already said enough to instil rage within her son, his eyes setting firmly on hers.

"Who I chose to marry is none of your concern. You should thank me that I happen to have chosen a pureblood! What if I was engaged to a Muggle?"

Of course, Sirius had no intention of on being engaged to anyone any time soon, but the sheer fact that his parents had taken it upon themselves to yet again control another aspect of his life, only made him want to retaliate.

Walburga had pulled her wand faster than Sirius had time to blink, holding it firmly under his chin. The wood jabbed harshly into his skin, the handsome boy's body going rigid, the stance he found him and his mother in far too frequently being one of the only things that actually terrified him. Bracing himself for the string of curses that were about to roll of off Walburga's tongue, Sirius shut his eyes tight, the excruciating pain he knew too well moments from flooding his body.

But it never came, or at least not in that exact moment...

Orion defused the situation by ordering that if Sirius wasn't to marry who they deemed fit, he wouldn't marry at all, for their eldest son wouldn't bring the shame that Andromeda had brought on them by fraternising with her Muggle-born boyfriend. She had been disowned by Sirius' Aunt and Uncle, and they wouldn't have their son suffer the same fate. For their sake, not Sirius'.

Walburga proceeded to drag her son, by his hair, to point his favourite cousin out on the family tree. Andromeda couldn't even be identified as someone in their family from the wall anymore, all that was left was a blackened hole where her name once lay.

"That'll be you if you keep defying me boy."

    "And all that happened this morning?" James questioned, eyes wide in horror, after Sirius finished his story. Running his hands over his face from having to relive the scenario all over again, Sirius nodded, "That's why you completely freaked then. About the marrying Cubby thing. You'd already been talking about it?"

The handsome boy was sure the universe was playing a sick joke on him and he groaned loudly, rolling over to bury his face in James' duvet.

    "I wasn't going to just stay there and let them go on and on about who I want to have in my life." If he could've, Sirius would've punched something, "They'll be planning right now you know... Now they think I want to wed myself off to someone they'll be lining up someone to pair me off with."

The thought made Sirius' stomach queasy and James didn't really know how to comfort his friend.

The pureblood world Sirius came from was far different from the one James and Ellie had grown up in and the way in which Sirius' world worked still confused his messy haired friend. Ellie seemed to be able to understand it a bit more, but that was probably because she felt similar pressures about carrying on family lines and living up to what others expected, for whilst James was pureblood, he had no pressures that made him feel like he was.

The messy haired boy remembered one time that Sirius mentioned that his parents were second cousins, and that definitely didn't sit well with him. He was surprised Sirius hadn't come out with an extra eye or something similar.

    "They're fucking insane. I'm sixteen for Merlin's sake! I don't want to get married."

Sirius believed there had been no reason for his parents to get so confused about the situation. He'd maybe understand if they thought him and Ellie were just in some form of relationship, but marriage seemed very extreme considering it was one tiny kiss goodbye - not even a proper one at that.

    "I know you've said it before, but are you sure? Not even marry Cubs?" A mischievous tone in his voice, James wiggled his eyebrows at his best friend, but Sirius just tackled him over in response.

Nearly sending the messy haired boy backwards off the bed, Sirius attempted to steal James' glasses in retaliation to his teasing, but ended up being the one on the floor instead.

"Honestly though, I'd just say screw them! Come live here, marry Cubby and have a bunch of little blood traitor children. That'd piss them right off. Imagine... The future of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black, all filthy Gryffindors, born from spoiled blood. Wicked Walburga would keel over and die the second her first grandchild was born."

James had a very good point - it'd be the biggest scandal their family had ever seen. For Sirius to have children that continue the Black family line, all of whom would be considered blood traitors, would tarnish the family name forever. It was the only worse thing he could do other than marry a Muggle.

However, as great as it sounded, Sirius knew first-hand what it was like to be cast aside by your family and he'd never want to raise children for the soul purpose of rebelling against his parents. He thought himself far too young to even think about these things and getting married to anyone was not really on his radar yet, if it ever even would be.

    "A great plan, my friend, but one for the future." Sirius replied, James deflating significantly in front of his eyes, "For now, I am content with my bachelor lifestyle."

James narrowed his eyes skeptically .

    "You won't convince me for one second that if Cubby ran in here right now and confessed her undying love for you, you wouldn't totally snog her face off."

There was a twinge of pink that made its way to Sirius' cheeks, because the truth was, that he'd no shadow of a doubt snog her face off. James didn't need to know that though.

    "Who's snogging who's face off?" Fleamont hadn't announced himself as he barged into James' room, something his son had learned off of him, having caught the end of the boys' conversation. Sirius now turned a furious shade of red as James opened his mouth to speak, but the handsome boy slapped a hand over his mouth violently before any words came out, "Ah, Sirius, a lady friend, have we?"

Bursting into fits of laughter, James couldn't contain himself watching Sirius' eyes shoot wide. The handsome boy looked absolutely mortified he'd been asked the question, in an awkward way no less, and he attempted to whack James out of annoyance.

    "Sirius is going to marry Cubby. That is, if she doesn't marry me out of pity first."

James' words came out strangled from lack of breath and Sirius just hit him harder. The messy haired boy fought back and Fleamont watched the tangle of arms and legs, not really sure what belonged to what boy.

    "Yes! Your mother told me something along those lines..." Sirius only felt himself getting hotter. James' incessant laughing only grew more and more irritating to the handsome boy who attacked his best friend once more, this time with such ferocity Fleamont did think one moment he may have to intervene, "Well anyway, I was sent to make sure you're getting ready. Cyrus and Ellie will be here in about an hour for dinner... Try not to fight over her too much please."

And with that Fleamont left the boys to their wrestling match, Sirius beginning to scream profanities at James for opening his mouth.

    "If you say one word to her about me actually marrying her, I'll snap your neck. It's a joke." He warned once he'd gotten James firmly in a head lock.

The messy haired boy only continued his hysterics, hands still clawing his Sirius' hair to try and get an advantage.

James wouldn't be promising anything. Someone had to take action in getting his best friends together, for if they weren't going to do it themselves, an outside party would have to intervene - an outside party named specifically James Potter.

Cyrus had made Ellie get ready to go to the Potter's in the house so that it was easier for them to leave together. After showering, she slipped on a short white dress, one Adelaide had snuck into her wardrobe at one point, and Ellie had to admit it she liked it a lot. Simple, but elegant.

However, after taking one look outside at the snow flurrying down in tornadoes of frost, she didn't feel it very weather appropriate. Maybe in the summer.

Instead, she rummaged through a few of her clothes for something that would be warmer, but it was clear that her mother hadn't really accommodated for colder temperatures when buying Ellie new dresses last year. She tried the same dress she'd worn last Christmas Eve, but had grown more than she thought since then, and now it was rather a lot tighter than she remembered.

It was times like these where she missed Adelaide most, because Euphemia, or Lily and Marlene, weren't always around to help, and Ellie felt utterly hopeless on her own. It was silly really, worrying about what she was wearing. She'd be in the company of family, it wasn't anything majorly grand or formal, but Ellie wanted to make an effort all the same. She just didn't know how. This is where she cursed James Potter and his 'let's play in the mud all the time' ways when they were little, for she often thought that if they weren't as close, she'd probably be more into fashion, having a better judgement on what to wear.

Finally feeling defeated though, Ellie snatched a different one of Remus' knitted jumpers and threw it over the top of the short white dress, praying it looked half decent. This jumper was thicker and even chunkier than the last, a cast off from one of the lanky boy's latest growth spurts. But nevertheless, it was still slightly oversized on the beautiful girl, the sleeves hanging over the ends of her hands a little. She was surprised when she looked in the mirror to see that the combination she thought might make her look like a walking sofa cushion, actually worked decently. The pattern of multiple different blues, greys and whites actually corresponded nicely with the small section of the white dress that stuck out below it. 

Granted, she sacrificed the warmth of her legs, but the Potter's home was bound to be cosy and the walk over wasn't too far. Tugging at the sleeves on the jumper, Ellie gave herself a nod in the mirror and went to join Cyrus, ready to leave.

Having a piece of Remus with her, felt like the right thing to Ellie as the full moon emerged from behind the snow filled clouds. Cyrus casted and charm above them to prevent them getting covered in snow, but that didn't keep any of the cold out, and they both walked as fast as possible down the narrow path through the woods towards the Potter's home.

Cyrus, Fleamont and Euphemia had decided to collectively combine the protective charms between their two homes, giving them all one huge lot of land rather than being separate. Safety in numbers, Fleamont had said. Euphemia was also sure that if the children were to return and find that they couldn't just walk freely to each other, there would be some form of fall out, and so this way was much better. It had ultimately brought the already close families impossibly closer, and Cyrus was grateful for the support during these difficult times, both with the loss of Adelaide and the war that was silently brewing amongst the wizarding world.

Keeping family close was getting increasing more important, and all three parents had no desire to split their children up where it wasn't necessary.

Welcomed with open arms as usual, Ellie and Cyrus wiped their snowy shoes on the doormat as Fleamont ushered them from the cold quickly. Hugs and festive greetings were exchanged, Euphemia rushing in, still in a cooking apron as soon as the Gryffins could be heard.

The Potter's home smelled like vanilla and cinnamon, like being encased in a giant hug all the time, and Ellie never got used to it.

Amongst all the bustle of getting inside and Euphemia flapping over not quite having everything ready, the beautiful girl didn't notice the absence of her messy haired best friend, who would usually be first to the door. Cyrus and Fleamont instantly stuck up into a conversation about how they'd not seen this much snow in years, Euphemia excusing herself back into the kitchen, but Ellie stood glancing around for where James could've got too.

Just as she was about to ask after him, there was an enormous stomping suddenly echoing down the staircase. It could've rivalled a stampede, and all three of the people in the small entrance hall watched to see what James was doing that could be making so much noise. However, it was made clear, as soon as he came into view, why he was so loud. There wasn't just one black haired boy racing down the steps, but two, and the biggest smile broke out onto Ellie's face immediately.

"SIRIUS!"

She about deafened Fleamont and her father, pushing past James, who had reached the bottom of the stairs first, and leaping at the handsome boy she'd missed so much.

Sirius almost lost his footing, Ellie crashing into him with so much force he had to grab the banister for support. Wrapping her arms tightly around his neck, she squeezed him tighter than humanly possible, but Sirius didn't mind. He melted under her touch and hugged her back without hesitation, tucking his head into her neck. It had been a matter of days since he'd last seen her, but it had felt like a lifetime.

"You're here! For Christmas, you're actually here..." Not fully believing the handsome boy was stood in front of her, Ellie placed her hands on the sides of his face, just as she had done when he left her at King's Cross, "...Why are you here?"

Realisation suddenly washing over her, Ellie's eyes scanned his face quickly but thoroughly, checking he wasn't beaten or bruised in any way. Sirius wouldn't have just shown up if there wasn't a reason, and not being able to see any physical harm on him only panicked Ellie even more. Walburga would've had ample time to hurt him any way she pleased, and she could see a pain masked in his eyes. It was shielded more carefully than any emotion he'd ever tried to hide, and that only panicked her more, but Sirius didn't seem fazed by it.

"I have to say, after that greeting, I thought you'd be a lot happier to see me." Placing his hands gently on Ellie's wrists removing them from his face, Sirius smiled. A big, goofy and content smile.

He was home once more.

"What about me?" James interjected himself into the moment, glancing between the pair who were staring intently into each other's eyes, "Best friend since birth, absolutely amazing human being who loves and supports you. Worlds better than this pile of shite!"

Sirius shoved James to shut him up, only briefly removing his gaze from the beautiful girl in front of him, and Ellie giggled. She was almost hysteric with joy that Sirius had joined them, and she was convinced she might explode with happiness.

    "Your future husband may I remind you." Ellie rolled her eyes at her messy haired best friend. Of course, he took me deathly seriously.

"Um no." Sirius interrupted, putting a dismissive hand up in front of James' face, "We've had this discussion Jamie. I'm the future husband."

The upset and teasing jokes had been put aside by the boys, both of them now using the topic as a source of amusement and it was fair to say it was working.

Cyrus and Fleamont watched on in utter confusion at the boys' apparent out of the blue lovesick behaviour. Fleamont had a little more understanding on the topic and so didn't think too much of it, apart from how ridiculous the boys looked, but Cyrus was completely gobsmacked. Ellie had mentioned nothing of either James or Sirius in a romantic way, and now they were supposedly fighting for her hand in marriage. They were all far too young for that.

"You're the what?" Coincidently both the Gryffins had spoken at the same time, the boys' heads snapping to Cyrus for a second and then back to Ellie.

"After I found out of your so-called marriage to Mr Potter here," Ellie had almost chocked on air when Sirius had announced he was going to be her future husband. She had no idea whether he was making a joke or not, and the thought made her go a little faint, "I decided I couldn't sit back and just let you end up with this tosser, so I had to intervene. He's only using you to get back at Lily anyway, so it would be a heinous crime to allow a beautiful young lady such as yourself to be taken advantage of like that."

Sirius had his signature grin plastered all over his face as he spoke, and Ellie couldn't help but mirror his expression. James had feigned hurt at the playful insults thrown his way, gasping dramatically, and Ellie snickered once he was finished. She also couldn't ignore the way Sirius had called her 'beautiful', and how easily it had rolled off of his tongue, but the humorous situation squashed the flustered feeling that rose in her chest.

"Excuse me, what?"

Cyrus was struggling to comprehend whether what was being said was the truth or whether this was all one big joke they were all in on. He glanced at Fleamont, who just seemed to be watching on in amusement, not giving him any indication on how to react.

"It's a matter pride and justice that I must wed Miss Cubby, Sirius. You have to understand this." James completely ignored Cyrus as he put on a posh voice, sticking his nose in the air like he was an upper-class snob, only making Ellie start to properly giggle.

"Oh, would you please stop with the ridiculous talk of marrying Ellie!" Euphemia had seemingly come in at just the right moment to interrupt what probably would've gone on for far too long, "Dinner is ready."

Fleamont attempted to explain to Cyrus the situation he wasn't too enlightened on that surround the boys' random marriage proposals, as they all made their way into the dining room, the three best friends trailing behind them, still all slightly laughing. Sirius had caught Ellie's gaze again, not being able to help himself but stare at her as she smiled so wide, and she stuck her tongue out at him childishly. He found it rather cute though.

"Don't tell me this is another one of Moony's is it?" James tugged at the sleeve of Ellie's jumper, making her pull her arm away and pout.

She didn't understand why it was a big deal if she wanted to wear it, Remus wasn't in need of it anymore and it was better than the perfectly satisfactory piece of clothing going to waste. Sirius however, unaware of the pair's previous conversation that day, was confused why Ellie was supposedly wearing lots of their friend's clothes. Is there something I'm missing? He scrunched up his face in slight annoyance, what made his clothes so cool? She used to take my stuff the most.

"Piss off, I'll wear his stuff if I want to. This one's mine now anyway."

Hers? Sirius questioned whether Remus had gifted it to Ellie, surely he'd know about that, or whether she'd just decided to claim it as hers. Either way, the situation bothered him, more than it probably should when she was always stealing their clothes, and he frowned subconsciously as they all took their seats at the table.

Everyone sat in their usual places. Fleamont and Sirius on the ends, with Ellie and Cyrus on one side, and James and Euphemia on the other. There was now an empty spot in between the two Gryffin's where Adelaide used to sit, but no one acknowledged it openly, everyone just leaving the chair empty as an ode to her.

Once they were seated, Euphemia went round dishing out portions of her famous beef stew into everyone's bowls, out of the big pot in the centre of the table.

Ellie had noticed Sirius' lessened mood, frowning herself and trying to get his attention. Reaching to the handsome boy carefully, as to not startle him, Ellie attempted to smooth the spot where his brows were kitted together making him look at her. She didn't even have to form any words for him to know she was asking if he was okay.

Sirius had subconsciously drifted away into his own world, tormenting himself with a secret romance he'd made up between Ellie and Remus and going back through his memories of them together: the time he noticed them smiling at each other the day that James asked Lily to the ball; Remus defending her so fiercely when him and James got into that argument; them cuddling on the sofa in the common room; her seeming to now be living in his clothes. And that was all just in the last month. Was I over-thinking this?

If it wasn't for the way Ellie was gazing at him with those gorgeous sea green eyes, the look in them he only ever saw her give him, he'd be throughly convinced her and Remus had being seeing each other behind everyone's backs. Maybe they are, the devil on his shoulder kept telling him. Yet, Sirius chose to ignore it.

After all, James had said he knew Ellie liked him, that accounted for something.

"Just thinking is all." Sirius replied to the beautiful girl calmly, some form of peace returning to his thoughts, even if he would prefer to see her sat in one of his jumpers.

Checking his eyes for any form of hesitance, Ellie wanted to make sure he was telling the truth before she let the matter go. He smiled at her lightly, and she sighed, brushing a piece of rouge hair off of his forehead. This sweet, sweet complicated boy.

"As long as you're okay." She sighed contently.

Pushing the side of Sirius' head slightly with a cheeky grin on her lips, Ellie attempted to lighten the mood, both of them completely unaware of the four sets of eyes on them both during their interaction. Sirius batted her hand away, attempting to shove her back in retaliation, but she dodged him and he didn't try again. Instead, he only stuck his tongue out at her, the same playfully childish face she'd pulled at him not minutes ago.

Euphemia's beef stew went down just as well as it always did, the evening fully of merriment as everyone got excited for Christmas Day.

They toasted Adelaide, lighting a candle on the fireplace in her honour. Nothing had been the same without her, and wouldn't be tomorrow either, but both Ellie and Cyrus were thankful to the Potters for trying to make the time of year as special as it could be. However, that didn't mean it hurt any less without Adelaide there. Everyone felt the mournful atmosphere that floated slightly above their heads, looming over them like a shadow in the night, but no one felt it as much as Ellie.

Just as Cyrus had wanted, the beautiful girl found it easy to forget the sadness within her sometimes when she was away at Hogwarts, for there was always too much going on to have time to dwell much. Now and again, she'd feel the aching hole in her heart grow, slowly trying to engulf her into a black mass of depression, and it was difficult sometimes to forget the sorrow that lay outside the castle walls. Memories would flood her brain like a tidal wave, washing away all other tangible thoughts and drowning her in a bottomless ocean of grief.

There'd be days where she'd just wake up, feeling like the room was filling quickly with water, and sometimes she wanted to drown in it. Sometimes she thought it might be easier that way. Easier than trying to put up flood defences to prevent the tsunami which always felt inevitable.

Her mind was like a devil out to sabotage any glimmer of hope and happiness that sparked within her. Even when things were fine and she was having a good day, everything seeming to go alright, thoughts would spring out at her and kidnap any good spirits Ellie had left.

It was exhausting.

Distracting herself was the only way she felt like she was in control of everything, and it felt pathetic that even after months, she still couldn't hear her mother's name without a lump forming in her throat.

Christmas had always been Adelaide's favourite time of year, and now it felt like just another threatening thing that Ellie couldn't get away from. She enjoyed the company of the Potters (very specifically Sirius) and their efforts to make the festive season feel as normal as possible, something the beautiful girl was more than grateful for. But they couldn't get rid of the sting of not having Adelaide there. The empty chair at the dinner table; the absence of her voice in conversations; the look on Cyrus' face when he looked at Euphemia and Fleamont.

It wouldn't matter how hard anyone tried or how hard she'd tried to convince herself otherwise, Christmas wasn't going to be the same, and it suddenly felt very difficult not to let that thought overwhelm her.

Fleamont and Cyrus launched into stories from when they were the younger, a tradition that never went missed, and whilst the adults were distracted, the three children snuck away. Ellie's suddenly sombre mood hadn't gone unnoticed by either of the boys, Sirius grabbing her hand as they walked, inevitably ending up in James' room. The messy haired boy had snuck a half empty bottle of firewhisky from Fleamont's stash for them all to share, thinking maybe his best friend might need something to take the edge off.

All three of them collapsed on James' bed, leaning against the headboard, Ellie squished between the two of them like she often was whilst Sirius kept a hold of her hand tightly. Shaking the bottle of firewhisky lightly in her face, James offered her the first swig with a small smile on his lips. The room was quiet. Too quiet for the usually rowdy trio, but none of them said anything as Ellie brought the bottle to her lips.

Shutting her eyes tight as the alcohol hit the back of her throat, she winced slightly at the burning sensation in her stomach, but nonetheless, it managed to dull her sadness slightly. Even if she'd only had one swig.

None of them were unfamiliar with the drink, but they'd all only ever had it mixed with butterbeer at Gryffindor house parties. A sixth or seventh year would always manage to sneak some in, making some heavy concoction of the two drinks so they both went a little bit further, but all three of them were still eager to taste it on its own.

For Sirius, it was another act of rebellion towards his parents, even if they'd never find out; For James, it was pure excitement fuelled by his teenage fantasies, getting drunk and causing chaos; For Ellie, it was a mixture of wanting to momentarily block out all the pain she felt sat in her chest, and the desperate desire to get back to her normal self.

She wanted to be the confident and loud troublemaker that had been set aside the past few months again.

James chuckled slightly at Ellie as she passed the bottle on to Sirius, who knocked back a shot faster than he should've done in hindsight. He too screwed up his face, but then broke out into a big grin once he'd recovered.

Eager for his turn, James nearly snatched the bottle from Sirius' hands, but not before the handsome boy moved it out of his grip. Sirius gave the bottle straight back to Ellie, for her to have another drink, eyeing James closely as if to tell him to back off. She needed it the most. The beautiful girl was more than happy to let more of the alcohol enter her system, the distraction welcome, but she didn't take as big of a gulp, wanting to let James have some too.

The messy haired boy coughed after his first shot, having been too enthusiastic, and it took him a few moments to recover.

Continuing to pass the bottle around until there wasn't much left to be drunk, the trio got more and more giggly, the source of which came from James nearly spitting the liquor everywhere each time he got a sip. He tried, but maybe firewhisky wasn't really his favourite drink.

"Were you okay back there?"

A lull in their laughter caused Sirius to speak up, the slightly alcoholic haze fogging his brain, not being tipsy enough to block out what was going on.

Once again, the previously joyous atmosphere had fizzled out, leaving behind only remnants of happiness for who the question was directed to. It was extremely clear to the boys something was on Ellie's mind, both of them being able to take a pretty good guess as it was but wanting to make sure anyway.

"I had my last Christmas with her and I didn't even know it..." Voice low and almost inaudible, Ellie stared at James' duvet, all life seeming to drift from her eyes.

There was nothing they could say to make her feel better. They couldn't promise her things would get easier, because they didn't know that, and so both of the boys stayed quiet. James rested his head on Ellie's shoulder, Sirius squeezing her hand even tighter, and they stayed like that for a while. No words. No pretending things were okay. Just them being there together. Them being there to support each other like they always would be. No matter what.

After fully emptying the bottle of firewhisky, all three of them were slightly giddy. Not drunk by any means, but definitely high spirited, even if the mood didn't really accommodate that.

James felt the most effected by the alcohol, but he could never hold his drink, something probably to do with his hyperactive behaviour usually, and he started hiccupping uncontrollably. His head jolting off of Ellie's shoulder, the messy haired boy clutched his stomach as he interrupted the silence.

"We're trying to have a moment here!" Sirius scolded through gritted teeth, leaning over to push James away from Ellie so he could wrap his arms around her instead.

However, the messy haired boy's violent hiccups didn't allow for the low mood to continue for much longer. Ellie was the first one to start the uncontrollable laughter, both boys startled by her sudden change in mood, but she just couldn't help it. James sounded like a squealing pig, his whole body jarring each time an unexpected hiccup struck. It was ridiculous, Ellie having never seen hiccups so vicious.

It wasn't long before they all were doubled over in laughter, the messy haired boy hardly being able to breath, what now with hiccups and a laugh attack.

Having not let go of Ellie yet, Sirius kept her close to his chest, the beautiful girl's arms snaking round his neck as they laughed even harder. This was exactly what she needed. Somehow, some magical, magical way, James and Sirius never failed to make her laugh. Usually James would be the instigator, but having Sirius with them made the events always much more hilarious - they were her light in the dark.

It didn't matter how solemn or gloomy things got for Ellie, they would inevitably do something to make her laugh again. As long as they were there, things could always be alright.  

"Save me!" Breathless and sprawled out on his front like a starfish, James clawed at the duvet as he continued to hiccup.

He couldn't get himself to stop, no matter how many times he held his breath, and neither Ellie nor Sirius were willing to untangle themselves from each other to help him.

"I think we let him suffer a little longer, don't you?" Sirius stated, stormy grey eyes locking with the sea green ones that were already looking at his face.

He hadn't seen Ellie laugh so much for a long time, and he wasn't about to stop that.

Some part of him felt the look she was giving him was just an induced haze from the firewhisky, but the way she seemed to be studying his face like he was a marble statue made him feel slightly insecure. A new feeling the handsome boy had found himself entangled with rather a lot recently, especially when a certain beautiful girl was around. Despite having many admirers, Sirius had never had anyone look at him the way Ellie was now, as if she was trying to commit his every detail to memory. It unsettled him, how she seemed to see straight through him so easily, the walls he put up for everyone else having no impact on her.

Apart of him, deep down, knew what he was feeling. Deep down, right in his gut, he knew and that terrified him.

Sirius Black had never had anyone other than the Marauders, even his and Regulus' relationship was rocky, and he wasn't sure what it meant to have people even closer than friends. He knew what it was he was feeling now, and he knew what everyone else would tell him it was, but that didn't make what was happening between him and Ellie simple.

Staring straight back into her eyes he felt the safest he'd ever felt. It felt like not even the burden of family shame could touch him. He would joke to himself and say that Ellie was similar to the human version of a Patronus for him, but it was entirely true. She was his happiest memories, and she'd never let anything touch him.

But time after time, the handsome boy found his feelings swirling into complications, for it wasn't easy to harbour such strong emotions for people you shouldn't really be feeling them for in the first place. Lily and Marlene stood in his way, sweeping Ellie with them to the library or up to the girls' dorm every spare minute she wasn't with the Marauders; Regulus had stood in his way, trying to lure her in with his affections last year; Remus also was starting to pose a threat, why does she have so many of his damn clothes?;  and even James caused a nuisance unknowingly, for he was always around.

In a perfect world, Sirius would've stolen Ellie away from them all so he could get all her kindness and helpfulness and sometimes pure goofiness, uninterrupted. It seemed fate wasn't on his side, and never gave them time to spend alone so he could potentially assess whether what he was feeling was just a stupid crush.

For now, it seemed, Sirius would have to stay in denial.   

"It was nice knowing you Jamie." Saluting the messy haired boy, who was breathing heavily and still rolling around like an idiot, Ellie smiled and rested her head back on Sirius' collar bone.

Outraged and oxygen starved, James slid himself off of the bed in attempt to get to his feet, but he swayed dramatically, and nearly fell straight back over again. The mixture of alcohol and exhaustion from all the laughing and hiccupping, making itself obvious as he stumbled to get stood up straight.

Just as James went to voice how rude he felt it neither of his best friends would come to his rescue, Euphemia stuck her head round the door.

Watching her son sway as if aboard a ship, the loving woman frowned and looked to see what state Ellie and Sirius were in. Cuddly? That's not really a surprise. Her eyes found the empty bottle of alcohol laying on top of the bed almost instantly, and she entered the room fully, pacing her hands on her hips.

Slightly disappointed, but not surprised, the loving woman had half expected this. There was going to come a time when her son and his equally mischievous friends would move on from their, mostly harmless, exploration and start venturing down more 'mature' paths of discovery. If any of them were actually capable of being mature that was. And even if Euphemia understood that they were growing up, coming with that their want to pretend they were much older than they were, that didn't mean she condoned any of the behaviour - whether she felt they needed to learn good life lessons on their own or not.

"I'd just come to say that the snowstorm is getting pretty heavy out there. Cyrus and Ellie are going to stay, since they'll just be coming for Christmas dinner again tomorrow. Clementine is going to bring you some clean clothes in the morning dear."

Choosing to ignore the fact that the children had been secretly drinking, hoping they may have some regrets in the morning, Euphemia informed them all of the new arrangements.

The Gryffins and Potters didn't usually spend all of Christmas Day together, both opening their presents and eating dinner in their separate houses, but it had been decided that wouldn't be the case this year. Fleamont and Euphemia didn't want Cyrus and Ellie to be lonely, and since the children would ultimately find themselves to each other at some point, it only made sense for them to stay. It also eliminated bracing the weather, despite the journey being small.

"BRILLIANT!" Still not being able to stand without wobbling around a little, James through his hands in the air out of celebration, his voice even louder than normal.

Ellie had wrapped her arms around Sirius tighter when she heard the news, the thought of not having to move from her spot any time soon making her happier than she'd expected - the handsome boy wasn't complaining either. Bursting out into some form of music-less jig, James began wiggling around in his spot, waving his hands around in the air out of pure excitement. He would give Peter a run for his money with the complete lack of any actual talent when it came to this particular set of dance moves, Sirius snorting at how ridiculous his best friend was acting.

Him and Ellie vowed with just one look to never give James Potter firewhisky again without being able to suffer the consequences.

"I'm sure James can lend you a pair of pyjamas to sleep in, even though they'll probably be too big." Euphemia told Ellie casually.

Smiling even wider, Ellie wasn't sure anyone could've given her any better news, but the previous look of excitement on James' face had quickly turned to dread.

"NO I WON'T!"

Startled by her son's outburst, Euphemia blinked a few times.

The reaction mirrored one of someone who had been told that they were about to have a limb randomly sawn off. It was certainly not the reaction his mother was expecting, James usually being good at sharing, and her attention was drawn to Ellie snickering on the bed.

Sirius thought the interaction amusing, yet annoying. It appeared the beautiful girl was destined to stop wearing his clothes, and if you were to ask him before today, he would've said that was one of the biggest wins of the year. Now however, he'd much prefer it if she'd give back Remus all his jumpers, and maybe not borrow James' pyjamas either - jealousy did curious things, and he found himself wanting to purge her wardrobe of everything bar what she owned of his.

"She'll never give them back! Cubby is a clothing thief and won't refrain from holding my pyjamas hostage!" James cried.

"Don't be ridiculous." Euphemia tutted in reply to her son's over dramatics, she was used to them by now, "You've got those nice golden snitch ones that are too small for you now, Ellie can borrow them."

Mouth falling wide open, James clutched his heart as if the words had physically wounded him.

"NOT THE SNITCH ONES!"

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

2.6K 111 18
Cassiopeia Black, Or most commonly known as the kindest Griffondor. Always helping the youngests, because of the motherly senses she developed with h...
101K 3K 45
"Y/n, I will always be here for you." "Promise?" "I promise." ~*𓃦*~ Going to Hogwarts was something Y/n Black had been looking forward to her ent...
820K 20K 116
𝓛𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽 𝓤𝓹 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓓𝓪𝓻𝓴𝓷𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓜𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓲𝓪 𝓐𝓶𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪 𝓓𝓮 𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓵. The brightest and sweetest witch in her year. She could neve...
125K 5.4K 62
Cassiopeia Black had never been one to follow her families beliefs, and the war was no different. Whilst her family were known supporters of Voldemo...