The Thing About Flip Flops

yellowbility tarafından

Audrey Parker is a self-proclaimed flip flop. She's been metaphorically tossed into a cabinet for her whole l... Daha Fazla

Prologue
Chapter One: Hello Again
Chapter Two: There Are Probably Hallucinative Drugs In My Lemonade
Chapter Three: My Brother And I Have A Spontaneous Vocabulary Lesson
Chapter Four: We Risk It All For Some Taco Bell
Chapter Five: Birthday Candles Are A Fucking Fire Hazard
Chapter Six: You Sound Like A Weird Bug
Chapter Seven: Sexy Cheese Pulls and Eloquent Dogs
Chapter Eight: Shakespeare Fans Should Skip This Chapter
Chapter Nine: The Tragic Downfall of Mrs. Hinkleson
Chapter Ten: So I Guess He's Not Going To Send Me His Nudes
Chapter Eleven: Damn You And Your Stupid Pretty Face
Chapter Twelve: I Don't Know Where Your Feet Have Been
Chapter Thirteen: Mutual Free-Insult Passes
Chapter Fourteen: Shut Up And Eat Your Pasta, Dr. Fucker
Chapter Fifteen: Funding Someone's Mental Breakdown Is The Best Form Of Support
Chapter Sixteen: Has The Sauce Gotten To Your Head And Made You Delirious?
Chapter Seventeen: Your Face Looks Like A Psychopathic Blobfish
Chapter Eighteen: Kevin McCallister Is Actually Terrifying, I Said What I Said
Chapter Nineteen: Carrot Candles To Go On Top Of The Carrot Cake
Chapter Twenty: Jack Golden, Legend Among Cowboys
Chapter Twenty One: Kids, Don't Be Like Aunt Emily
Chapter Twenty Two: It's A Proposal, Can I Get A "Whoop Whoop!?"
Chapter Twenty Three: I Can't Tell If He's Telling Me Dirty Jokes
Chapter Twenty Four: I Become A Red, Blushing, Stuttering Fish
Chapter Twenty Five: My Genius Revenge Plan Ends With... Well, Read And Find Out
Chapter Twenty Six: Double Revenge... He Deserves It!
Chapter Twenty Seven: Spring Break
Chapter Twenty Eight: Warm Pizza and Even Warmer Cuddles
Chapter Twenty Nine: Thank God I'm A Country Boyyyyy
Chapter Thirty: Stupid Goddamn Butterflies
Chapter Thirty One: A Toast on a Boat
Chapter Thirty Two: Failed Parenting, Vasectomies and Ketchup Cake
Chapter Thirty Three: Henry's Accident
Chapter Thirty Four - Visitations
Chapter Thirty Five: The Treehouse Talk
Chapter Thirty Seven: (I Know) I'm Losing You
Chapter Thirty Eight - Corrections and Confessions
Chapter Thirty Nine: The Sex Habits of Octopi
Chapter Forty - Beautiful.
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty Six: What Happens After "I Love You"?

3 0 0
yellowbility tarafından

Jack's P.O.V.

She didn't say it back.

As I sink onto my bed, sprawled smack in the middle where A and I spent that one night covered in food, that's all I can think.

She didn't say it back.

But she kissed me...

But it's the hopeful, naive part of my brain.

Yeah, you fucking loser, on the cheek. You don't think that means anything, do you? She just felt bad for you, says the more rational part of my brain.

It's like I can still feel Audrey's hands in my hair and her lips on my cheek.

The smile I gave her made me feel like a liar.

I had been ready to break down in tears. I'm lucky it was only one or two. It's not like I planned on saying everything at that specific moment. But it was too perfect of a time not to. It sounds stupid, but in that moment I really felt like I was myself.

Maybe she wasn't ready to hear it. But not hearing them spoken back to me just made me feel so fucking worthless.

I know I'm being unfair. She didn't ask for me to say what I said. She is under no obligation to feel the same way I do.

So yeah. I was definitely sad when I repeated the words like an idiot, echoing myself in the hope that she might too. And then she didn't.

And now I'm crying on my bed like a fucking wuss. Curled in the same position
A was in on that night she finally broke it off with Chris.

Chris, who A actually fucking liked. Chris, who could kiss her and laugh with her whenever he wanted because when he asked her, she actually said yes.

Unlike me. Pathetic, useless me who can't even be in the same room as this girl without losing my ability to breathe, think, and fucking exist.

I had expected the entire tree-house to collapse under of the weight of my confession.

It had taken all the strength I had to climb down that ladder.

I wanted to take her face in my hands and kiss her.

I wanted to take her hand and run away somewhere.

I wanted to give her the world in a box with a gorgeous ribbon tied in the complicated knot that was my heart.

I wanted to press my body against hers and feel her heartbeat and let her feel mine.

Climbing down that ladder, I wanted to remember how she looked right before I said what I said and ruined everything - perfect and happy and almost like she felt the way I do - and keep it like a polaroid picture in my pocket.

Hell, if I'm being honest, I wanted to rip her clothes off right then and there.

But if she wanted what I wanted, wouldn't she have told me? Especially when I gave her the chance to say it?

I bury my head in my hands and cry like I haven't done in a long time.

She didn't say it back.

***

I don't come to school the next day. I've skipped school so many times that it's not unusual at all for almost everyone there. Jack's not here? No worries, he's probably just beating up a fifth grader or doing drugs on the roof of a building. He'll show up sooner or later.

I don't expect Audrey to be fooled.

She's going to know exactly why I'm skipping. Some part of me is glad that she knows. I'm glad she knows I'm upset. Some ugly, small part of me even feels satisfied that she might feel guilty. I try to suffocate it.

Before I remember it's a stupid idea, I think for the millionth time what it might have been like if she'd only said it back to me.

"I love you too."

Maybe right now we'd be making out in a janitor's closet. Trading stories and jokes. Flirting in class. Maybe I could touch her without having to hesitate and wonder if she liked me for myself or just for the idea of someone.

Maybe, if things had gone differently, I'd still be in this room, only she'd be with me.

She didn't say it back.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

692K 19.7K 35
"I know that I can fuck up your whole life with one look. But I can't stop myself." ✰ ✰ ✰ Mia Rose...
1.2M 23.6K 48
COMPLETED. Book 1/4 of the Adam's Series - She moved in with her twin brother. He lived with her brother. But, you can't blame gravity for falling in...
661K 15.3K 51
After an unpleasant two years away from her hometown, Chloe Woods is excited to return. She's looking forward to rekindling her friendship with John...
143K 6.6K 34
Allison Parker is a seventeen year old girl who has never been fish kissed but she's more than okay with that. Infact, she wants nothing to do with b...