Just Me and You

By soccerfanatic2

There's a new girl in town - yet she isn't a soccer player. At least not anymore. Her name is Alexis, but eve... More

Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 7

3.9K 92 2
By soccerfanatic2

Lexi's POV

Humming along to the radio, I do some dancing around the apartment as I clean room by room. I have the next few days off after working five days straight, and I am in desperate need of getting my shit together. Pia is at school, Tucker is asleep on the dog bed out on the balcony, my songs are going, and I'm still in my comfy clothes - and it's almost 3PM. We've finally hit the month of November, and it's "cooled off" a little in Houston. The breeze running through the apartment is making the day feel so much better.

I'm broken out of my happy dance to my phone ringing in the kitchen. Placing the dust rag on the living room side table, I quickly rush over, still humming along. When I see Kristie's name on the phone, I grow concerned and immediately answer.

"Kris are you alright? You never call during practice is something wrong?"

"I'm okay, everything is fine I promise. But I kinda need you to get that cute butt of yours over to the training field. It's important, but like I said, everything's fine."

"I-Uh, what? I have to pick up Pia in like 45 minutes, can I come after?"

"Ella is grabbing her, I already called her and I called Pia's school. Please, babe it's important and I already took care of it."

"Okay, I'll be there soon. I just have to change quick, I can't embarrass myself and show up in my pajamas."

Her soft chuckle on the other end of the line eases my nerves just a little, as we say goodbye and hang up the phone.

Turning off the radio, I bring Tucker inside before heading off to my room. Throwing on the first thing I can find, a sundress with some Air Force ones, I put on a quick layer of mascara before grabbing all my things.

Walking down to my car, I rack my brain with what Kristie could possibly need. I think of multiple different scenarios in my head but I ultimately come up with nothing as i pull into the parking lot of the training stadium. Locking my car I slip my purse over my shoulder before heading inside. Greeting Linda, the front desk lady and Pia's favorite woman to hang out with here, I can't even get my words out before Kristie is pulling me away.

"Kris slow down please!" I say as I pull her to a halt in the long hallway she's leading me down.

"Can you please explain what's going on? You have me worried."

Fully taking a look at her, her tan skin glows with the thin layer of sweat and the baby hairs are forming her face perfectly. No matter what she's about to tell me, I can't stay mad because she is gorgeous and I can't get over it.

"A while back I told you about our athletic trainer leaving for the national team, remember?"

"Yes but what does that have to do with Houston?and that wasn't until the new year."

"Nothing, but my national team coach is here and we've run into a little bit of a pickle and we're hoping you can help us. Now come on, I promise you it'll be alright."

"Woah woah, wait are they gonna offer me a job? Kris I'm not sure about this we haven't even talked about anything a-"

Before I can get my sentence fully out shes pulled me into a conference room with a couple people in there, and none that I recognize except one.

"Hey Lexi," Vlatko says to me. "Have a seat." His smile is inviting so I slowly sit down and my leg won't stop shaking. Kris places her hand on my knee and gives it a small squeeze before looking at me and giving me a wink. I grab onto her hand and play with the rings on her fingers, something I do when I'm nervous.

"I hate to bring you in here like this, but I'm here on such short terms it unfortunately had to be this way. I would hate to have this conversation over the phone, I want you to truly grasp and understand everything."

"That's very nice of you. Maybe you should teach Kristie here your ways, she has yet to tell me anything and it's causing me to worry."

Throwing Kristie a glare, her cheeks grow red as Vlatko smiles and laughs softly.

"Well both have to work on her, how does that sound?"

"Good."

"Great. So, why you're here. Our fitness coach, Dawn, was set to head back to England at the end of the calendar year, but unfortunately she had some family things come up that are calling her back early. From what I hear, you have your athletic training and fitness coach certification. I'd like to offer you a 4 year contract with the US women's national team, and I know this is extremely short notice, but I'd like you to start in a week or so at our next camp."

Looking at Kristie with wide eyes, she only smiles at me with complete admiration.

"Um, I-Uh I don't know what to say this is a lot all at once. Of course I would truly be honored but I'm not sure this camp will work out. I have a 5 year old in school, and I'm also a full time nurse. I will have to work out the schedule with the hospital."

"Well, to relieve some stress, I talked to your boss at the hospital. They are fully willing to cooperate with us and release you for each camp. Your hours may differ when you're home of course, but they are willing to work with you and us."

"Oh wow, okay. And what about my daughter? My parents don't live around here, I am the only guardian she has."

"She is of course welcome to every camp, we would love to have her. We do have a member on staff that can stay with the kids while we train and during games, so she would be well taken care of."

"Wow."

"I know this is a lot to process, especially when I bombarded you like this. But I've heard a lot about you from both Kristie and her coach, and knowing your career history, I think you have a lot to offer."

"Well yeah of course, I'd love to."

"Great, let's get the paperwork started."

——————————

"Hi, I'm here to pick up Pia."

"Oh hi love, I haven't seen you in a couple days," the receptionist Ms. Nancy says to me as I walk up to the table. "How has work been, how have you been?" Being the first one here always, I've gotten to know her quite well and she is always checking in on me.

"Everything has been good! Pretty crazy with work and trying to balance many schedules but it's going well."

"Oh good I'm glad, the kids should be down in about 10 minutes, you can have a seat."

"Thank you," I say with a small smile. "I have to meet with Pia's teacher before we head out to grab all her paperwork, can I head down now?"

"Paperwork? You're not moving are you?"

"No! I just accepted a job as the athletic trainer and fitness coach for the USWNT, we leave tomorrow for a two week camp, and Pia is gonna do online school while we're away each time."

"Oh my goodness congratulations!! You're one busy girl. Once all the kids come down I'll show you to the classroom, we just can't have parents in the halls during school time."

"Sounds great, thanks again."

Sitting down at the closest table, I scroll through my phone, not paying attention to what's around me until I hear Pia's name being called.

Looking up toward the door, I see her big smile set in as she runs toward me.

"Hi sweet girl, how was your day today? I missed you!"

"I missed you mommy! And it was great, I made Mr. Vlatko a picture to say thank you for inviting me. Do you think he'll like it?"

I've been having many meetings throughout the last couple weeks with the coaching staff and Pia has really formed a bond with Vlatko. He is always interacting with her and making her smile.

"I think he'll love it! We will have to put it in your bag when we get home okay?"

"Do we get to go on the plane today? I'm so excited mommy! Is Kristie flying with us? And Jane?"

"Pia we aren't leaving until tomorrow remember? Kristie has a game tonight and then we leave in the morning. And yes, they are flying with us."

"Awww okay, one more sleep. Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Sure."

As all the parents and kids leave, Ms. Nancy says we are able to head down, and Pia leads the way down the winding hallways. Walking into the classroom, I smile at Pia's teacher, Ms. Burns, and sit down at the chair next to her desk. Going over all Pia's paperwork and schedule for the next few weeks, I'm honestly a little overwhelmed, but I'm hoping once we get to camp and into a routine everything will be okay. Not only do I have to worry about myself and getting acclimated to the team, I have to worry about Pia and keeping her in a good mindset. Pia relies on a schedule or else she gets nervous and anxious, despite her outgoing personality.

"Alright," Ms. Burns says handing over Pia's folder. "I think that's everything. Pia you better have the best stories to tell me when you get back!"

"I will Ms. Burns," she says giving her a big hug. "Happy Friday, go Dash!"

"Oh yes, big game tonight! It's the finals! I hope you have a good time cutie."

"Thanks again," I say giving her a warm smile. "I really appreciate you helping me out with all this."

"Of course, not at all. Enjoy your trip."

"Alright Pia," I say as we walk out her classroom door toward the car. "Off to dinner we go."

——————————

"Stay close Pia, I don't want to lose you okay?"

"I know mommy. Do you think I can go on the field before the game? We got here extra early!"

"I know we did," I say as the two of us walk toward the entrance. "But you know this is a super big game for Kristie, they are playing their final game for a trophy. If she says not today you have to understand okay?"

"Okay," her face visibly sinks a little but it instantly perks up as we walk inside.

"Game day popsicle?" She says as she pulls me toward the concession stand.

"Of course."

Making our way to our designated seats behind the bench, we sit and eat our popsicles talking about our exciting two weeks ahead. To end our trip, we're headed back to NY to spend thanksgiving with my parents and I couldn't be happier. I think I'm going to invite Kristie to go with us.

As Pia and I talk a little more about the plane ride tomorrow her attention is quickly diverted to the players entering the field from the tunnel. Both teams enter the field and Pia instantly stands up leaning over the edge, trying to get Kristie's attention. Seeing her walking behind the rest of her team with her headphones in and a serious look on her face, I pull Pia back to sit down next to me.

"I don't think today is a good day to go on the field okay? Next game for sure but today isn't a good time."

She leans into my side with her eyes looking down, playing with her hands. Too invested in the sad girl next to me, I don't notice Kristie walking towards us.

"Hey babe," she says catching my attention.

Pia perks up a little but then sinks into her chair, finally understanding the importance of today.

"Hey love," I say kissing her softly. "You ready?"

"I think so. I'm just ready to play."

"You looked pretty determined walking out of the tunnel. I have a good feeling it'll end up in your favor."

"I hope so. Mind if I steal the little one for a minute?"

"Kris you don't have to bring her on the field today," I say gripping her hand in mine and speaking softly so Pia can't hear. "Focus on you right now, we will always be here."

"I know that, but she always comes down before every home game and I don't want to ruin that. She's brought me good luck, along with you."

Smiling and nodding softly, I sit back down as Kristie directs her attention toward the five year old sat next to me.

"Well are you coming down on the field with me or what? I can't ruin our tradition little P."

Her soft eyes look up at mine and I give her a small nod before she's up out of her seat and being lifted over the edge. Wrapping her arms and legs around Kristie, she looks out toward the field with a smile.

"Can we kick the soccer ball around?"

"Not today. I want to hear all about your day at school. It'll be late when we get home and time for bed so I have to hear all about it now!"

Watching the two walk away Kristie sits on the bench in front of our seats with Pia on her lap talking super fast, with her arms flailing in the air. She is soon dancing in front of Kristie who is laughing and smiling. She turns back toward me and gives me a wink before directing her attention back to Pia.

Damn, what did I do to deserve her.

——————————

Final score. 1-2 with NC Courage winning.

Pia is sat silently next to me with her hands on her face and her elbows on her knees. She soon crawls into my lap and leans against me.

Looking out toward the field I see Kristie stood at center field with her hands on her hips looking up at the sky. She shakes her head slightly before heading toward the bench, ignoring most of the people she walks past. She doesn't make it very far before her sister stops her and pulls her into a hug. Kristie breaks down in tears and it truly breaks my heart.

As a whirlwind of things happen on the field, my eyes never leave Kristie. She makes her way toward the stands and takes Pia into her arms and just holds her. Seeing a few stray tears run down her face Pia wipes them away before kissing her nose.

"Mommy always kisses my nose when I'm having a bad day. Did I make you feel better? I made your tears go away too!"

Kristie smiles slightly before kissing her forehead, "yeah munchkin I do feel a little better. Why don't you and mommy head home and I'll be home to say goodnight okay?"

"Mommy said we could have a sleepover, are you gonna be there too?"

"Of course, you better not take up my spot okay? And you better keep those legs in check, you like to play soccer in your sleep."

"I dream of playing soccer and growing up just like you." She then wraps her arms around the midfielder and rests her head on her shoulder. I let a tear slip from my own eyes at the two in front of me.

"I love you Kristie," Pia says.

"I love you too little P."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 366 38
Alexis Patterson isn't your average girly girl, she's the captain of the BOYS Varsity Soccer team, she swears like a sailor, she doesn't care about w...
15.6K 327 15
Kristie Mewis a soccer players who plays for Houston dash, with her girlfriend Rachel daly. After Kristie finds out she cheats on her what will she d...
290 8 13
It started with two strangers a text message & now being best friends; what could this mean ?♥️ Do you ever feel if a best friend... could be your lo...
293K 10.3K 46
This isn't your typical nerdy girl falls in love with the jock book ... what happens when you put bad with new? Meet Lexi Reed, the 18 year old rebel...