𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐆𝐄𝐎𝐍 (18+)

By bigjuicyjackson

(1994) "One thing you should know if you want to play surgeon with the big boys is that you need to remember... More

Prologue.
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 - 𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐉𝐀𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐘.
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 - 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇.
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 - 𝐍𝐎 𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐋𝐄𝐅𝐓 𝐁𝐄𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐃
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 - 𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐌𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 - 𝐀𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐘
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 - 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐏 𝐎𝐅 𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐓𝐇
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 - 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐒, 𝐀 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐌𝐈𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐄𝐋
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 - 𝐈𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐈 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐌𝐄.
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍 - 𝐅𝐎𝐎𝐋'𝐒 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 - 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄 - 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 - 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐀𝐅𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐆𝐄

792 37 16
By bigjuicyjackson

Dante.
ER - Curtain One.
07:34

"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, all through the town," I sang with the little girl as the nurse was getting a blood sample from her. My eyes looked down as the nurse puts a bandaid on the little girl's arm as I chirped, "I told you it was fast and harmless."

She looks at the bandaid as I stood up from the chair, "I'll be back, okay? I'm going to ask the nurses to scoop a doop" The girl scrunches her face, "Doop?"

I laughed out while walking away, "Jello. We scoop a doop." She laughs at my little lingo as I walk over to the board, where Cleo was standing at.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" I teased before standing beside her. She smiles widely while containing her laughter, "Don't get too excited." I reach over and erased my name on the board under a past patient, "Are you trying to avoid Michael?"

She looks over at me before shaking her head, "No, why does everyone keep thinking that? A woman just declares she isn't feeling good, and everyone thinks she's avoiding the man." I laugh as I raise my hands to my face innocently, "I was just asking, don't get so defensive! Don't worry, I kept him company. He and I enjoyed a nice bowl of ramen noodles while watching the basketball game in the lounge."

She teases mischievously, "Well, I'm happy I didn't get in the way of your hot and heated date together."

I roll my eyes before changing the subject, "Well, I'm sure you're going to enjoy the wonderful war zone, known as the ER. I learned to dodge bullets every day."

She stuffs her hands in her pockets before looking at me, "You didn't seem to dodge the bullet with that little girl. I didn't expect someone so...arrogant like yourself to be good with kids." I grin widely before asking flirtatiously, "Hm, well you see, I'm a different man in the workplace. Don't tell me the way to mellow your heart is seeing me with kids?"

She rolls her eyes at my comment, "Oh please, Dante. Don't flatter yourself too much." I shrug my shoulder as the two of us walk together. My eyes look over at Cleo as she looks back at me.

"Dante, is there a patient you need me to consult?"

I fake cough as I gasp for air, "Ugh, I think I'm suffering from appendicitis! Save me, Dr. Cleo!" I started to flail my arms at her playfully while my exaggerated nature caused her to laugh hysterically as she grabs my arms, "Stop it! I'm serious."

Eventually, the two of us calmed down as I look down at her to stare into her cocoa brown orbs. It was no secret that I was attracted to her, but who wouldn't be? I felt comfortable when I was around her. Fifteen minutes in, and I didn't feel like I was working when I was in her presence. Her eyes looked up into mine before releasing her grasp from my forearms.

"Do you want to know why I'm so good with kids?" I asked.

She smiles widely, "I was teasing, Dante. I know why you're good with kids." I shake my head before grabbing her hand and walking her into the lounge. Thankfully, no one was there, so we could talk in a private setting. The two of us sat on the couch as I began,

"No, Cleo, you don't know why. I know you haven't been here long, but you have Michael's trust, which means you have my trust as well. Something we don't normally have for our interns, but you're special, in some way or shape."

She scoffs arrogantly, "In some way or shape?"

I smile goofily, "C'mon, I'm being serious." Her lips part slightly before nodding as I continued, "A couple of years back, I got involved with this girl, and we sort of...had a daughter together. Long story short, we had a really bad ending to our relationship, and I haven't seen my child since. I do mail some cards and everything. She did send me some photos and everything. Now, she's gotten married and at least, my daughter has a step-father? I don't know. I try not to think about it, but when I see kids here in the ER, it just makes me think about my kid and what she might be doing. Today's her birthday, and it hurts Cleo. It hurts not waking up and being the one to buy her a cake or just holding her at night and telling her that I love her, you know?"

I sigh depressively as Cleo rests her hand on top of mine. My head turns away as I lay my back against the couch with my arms folded.

"I'm sorry. Dante...Dante, look at me," she answers.

I continue to turn away while breathing slowly to stop myself from crying. I couldn't imagine myself, a grown man, crying in front of an intern to be pitied upon.

Suddenly, I stood up before explaining, "C'mon...I have to work. There's no time for this lifetime channel drama."

She stood up beside me before wrapping my arms around me from behind.

"I can hear how much you're hurting...it's okay to be emotional, you know that right?" she whispers.

I could feel her head resting against my back as I mutter, "You know, I can't have emotions because that's not what people expect from me. Cleo, I'm going to be fine. I just had a little moment of vulnerability."

She lifts her head from my back as I turn towards her.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked.

She nods her head before I grab her small, delicate hands and hold them into mine, "Cleo, have you ever been on the Catalina Express before?" She smuggles a discreet smirk before shaking her head, "No...but why do I have the feeling you want to take me there?" I chuckle before asking, "Well what else you plan to do with weekend? Pay attention to Michael talking about ass crack surgeries? How about tonight? I promise to keep you laughing the whole time."

She giggles softly, "It's a date, but please. No ramen noodles."

The two of us laugh in unison before adding, "No, I only go cheap for my male dates. Lunch, you and me." She rests her hands on her hips before rolling her eyes, "Oh, so you want two dates in one day?" I cheese happily, "Maybe if you didn't work here, I wouldn't have been this lucky, right? Also, Cleo?" She looks at me with that definitively perfect smile.

"It's always hard to talk to Michael about this you know? Maybe, because it's just our dynamic as men, but it felt nice opening up to you. Can we...just keep this between us?" I proposed.

She nods her head before grinning playfully, "Of course, I know you men have to keep such a macho front for whatever reason." I laugh as the two of us embraced.

Cleo.
ER Lounge Room.
08:12

Dante and I release from the hug as a nurse walks into the lounge room.

"Doctor, there's a mass casualty coming in. A construction attack downtown LA."

Dante nods as he walks out of the lounge with the nurse. His voice echoed in the hallway, "Alright, tell EMT we will take 3 major and 12 minor."

I sigh as I walk over to the coffee machine and opened the top lid to replace the filthy brown coffee filter with a fresh new one. My mind couldn't help but think about what Dante was going through. I never would've thought he could get emotional, maybe, because he just gave off the impression that he was happy and content with his own life, especially in front of Michael. As I dump the tablespoons of the coffee grinds, I started to smile heavily as if someone shoved a hanger into my mouth.

Who would've thought I would go on a date with Dante? Not that he's not crazily attractive, but it was Dante. He was so...animated and comical versus the pragmatic Michael. Michael's passion stemmed from his work and Dante's stemmed from his experiences.

My heart fluttered at the idea maybe because it felt like I familiar type of feeling a woman should feel: comfort, maybe even a little bit of curiosity and excitement. I closed the lid of the coffee machine as I waited for the coffee to brew. I couldn't imagine how Dante was outside of work, just his mannerisms here left me anxious.

I mean realistically was I even sane to imagine me and Dante together? He just doesn't seem the type of guy I could imagine myself to be with long-term.

Suddenly, the door opened as Michael walked in. My head turns to him as he walks over to me. "Hey, I haven't seen you all morning. Uh, are you feeling better?" he asks. I nod my head as the brown coffee started to fill into the coffee pot. My head turned back to the coffee pot as I try to focus on that instead of Michael.

To be honest, I didn't feel like dealing with any form of confrontation.

"Cleo, we need to talk," he begins.

I mutter while grabbing the full coffee pot to pour some coffee into a mug, "There's nothing to talk about. You don't need to take me to dinner or anything. There no hard feelings and you don't need to apologize for your wife being overprotective." It was dangerous to even be in the gates of Michael, nevertheless to try to have a decent friendship with him with his wife. My nightmare left me in fear. I couldn't imagine him or anyone here finding about parts of my past life, especially Lisa.

Eventually, I turn around to him once I grab my sugar and stir straw.

"I'm your intern, you're my mentor for this year. You know? We can keep it short, "Hey how are you doing?" and keep it moving. I don't have to like you and you don't have to like me. There's no need to apologize for these things."

He looks at me speechlessly as the door of the lounge opens as Dante peeks his head out, "Hey, Cleo, I need a surgical consult for this patie- oh wait, am I interrupting something?"

Michael shakes his head, "No, no. We were just finishing."

I turn to Dante as I walk out of the lounge as he hands me the chart for the patient.

"Claire Billons. 16 year old. Bilateral rashes on arm- wait you signed this chart already," I said. He sighs, "I know, I just was trying to get you out there. I could sense the tension in the room." I exhale slowly before teasingly playfully, "Oh no, don't tell me that Dante kept the doors of emotions open and is worried about little old me!"

He smiles bashfully before handing me another chart. "Well, I am worried about you for two reasons. One, it's easy for interns to be treated like shit here, and two, well, reason two is for me to know and you to find out, he explained while I read the chart. My eyes looked up at him as I squint. "Are you flirting with me?" I asked innocently.

"Well, I'm not your boss nor your mentor, so Cleo, do you have a problem with that?" he asks while smirking flirtatiously.

I wiggle my finger in his face before pointing him in the chest with it, "Well, I would say I've been to hospitals before to get better, not to grab a boyfriend." He squints as his smile dissipated, "Hm, doctors may heal the body, but who said I can't heal that heart of yours?"

I shove the chart into his arms, "More like I need a doctor to heal me from this corniness of Dante. How about you go heal this baby and his diaper rash?" He scoffs before walking to one of the exam rooms.

Deborah.
The Cafeteria.
14:24

"You know, she has some nerve to come to Jasmine County and act like she runs the place," I said while munching on my fries as the nurses and I talk about this "Cleo" girl.

Cynthia, an ER nurse, scoffs, "You should've seen her this morning. She did a couple of surgical consults, and Dante was all over her, like what's the hype about this girl? She's not THAT pretty or that special." I nod my head in agreement, "We've all been busting our asses and working so hard while pretty miss perfect intern has the hottest attendings' attention within a week. I mean look at her!"

We all turned over at her table as Cleo sat at a table alone while eating a salad.

Jada grins, "I guess little miss perfect found herself alone today with pieces of lettuce. I heard that she and Dr. Jackson were like fighting this morning." I tease, "Maybe he told her that she's not a little miss perfect and she had a whole tantrum. She looks like a spoiled crybaby." The whole table laughed in unison as we saw Dante walking into the cafeteria.

Cynthia shakes her head, "It's illegal how fine that man is, ugh." I shake my head, "Ah, ah, that's Toni's ex. Toni weren't you two going out like a couple of weeks ago." Toni rolls her eyes, "You know Dante. He's not big on commitment."

We watched as he walks over to Cleo's table and sits beside her.

I open the lid of my fruit cup before whispering, "What is he saying?"

Cynthia shrugs as we all try to be quiet to listen to their conversation.

"Cleo, I'm so sorry for being late. I had to finish these charts...then Michael was bothering me about some staff meeting.."

"It's okay, you don't have to apologize. You better not be late for our date, okay? I'm just happy you're here now. Dante, what is that?"

"What is what? My sandwich?"

"A little ham sandwich. Did your mommy pack that for you? Here, have some of my salad."

"Hey, I have you know my mother makes great ham sandwiches."

We watched as they laugh together and continued to converse with one another. Jada pretends to gag, "Augh, like what would possess him to waste his time with her? She's so...bland." I nod before standing up from the table, "I think we should give Cleo a warm welcome with Cynthia's spaghetti." The girls stood with me as we walk over to Cleo's table.

Cleo and Dante looked up at us as Cleo smiles, "Uh, you're Deborah right? You were helping me the other day with the cholecystectomy." I fake a smile, "Of course. Now, what is this? A date I see?"

The two of them smile embarrassingly as Dante chuckles, "Deborah, don't tell me you're either jealous about me having some form of social life unlike you or upset that today was another day of failure in your life because you couldn't have an iota of attention from Michael."

I chuckle in annoyance, "I'm sorry Dante, but I never had brain cells removed to be jealous of having such limited attention from you. Isn't this like the 50th girl you went on a date with? It's a pity your social life was so desperate for attention that you go on dates with an intern."

Cleo sighs as she stands up from the table, "Look, we don't want any trouble. We are just sharing lunch. If you like, you guys can sit here with us."

Cynthia walks over to her and smiles, "Really? Well, since you and Dante are sharing lunch, I would love to share some food with you." I cover my mouth to prevent myself from laughing as the thick red spaghetti sauce met us with the blueberry-colored scrubs.

"Oops, sorry about that," Cynthia says innocently as Cleo stared at the newly splattered stain on her scrubs. Her eyes looked up at us as Dante stands up and tries to wipe the spaghetti sauce from her clothes.

"At least, the red is complementary to the blue. Who knows? Maybe the patients would enjoy the new addition to your outfit, Cleo, " I coo playfully.

Dante gave me a death glare as Cleo mutters as they try to get the red sauce off of her clothing with the napkins, "Dante, it's not going to come off. I'm just going to go to my form and get something new."

"No, hey, there's a closet full of scrubs, let's go," he whispers to Cleo before wrapping his arm around her shoulders. She nods her head in astonishment as the two of them exit the cafeteria.

Once they left, we broke out in laughter. Jada giggles, "Did you see her face? Absolutely priceless, she looked like she was going to pee in her pants!" Toni grins, "I had to admit, that was a nice touch."

I grin mischievously as we all sat back at our tables, "And you know what? We are just getting started."

Dante.
Women's Bathroom.
15:35

"How could they do this to me! Maybe just working here was a bad idea! First, Lisa and now, this? Dante, I just can't keep doing this!"

I sigh as I sat on the counter of the sink while Cleo was changing in the stall. I prayed that a woman didn't walk in here and see a grown man sitting on the long rectangular counter of the sink, but it's not like I wanted to be in here.

Dante, please, I just need to talk to you.

My breath was slow and I just walked in. Who knew the women's bathroom had a whole couch in here. Eventually, Cleo opens the stall door and walks out.

I smile softly as I tried to make the situation better. "On the bright side, might I say, you look marvelous in green," I teased. She smuggles a smile as I slide off the counter to walk towards her. Her face was stained with tear marks from crying.

"You know I knew I would be crying here, but I never imagine from the people but from being overly stressed with the work," she expressed.

I release another sigh before explaining, "Cleo, I...I don't know the right words to say this, but they're going to keep trying to break you down and you can't let them win. Look at me..."

She shakes her head while looking down at the sink. Unexpectedly, she started to yell, "I think you should go, Dante. I'm having a horrible day, and I don't want your jokes or your pep talk okay! Just...LEAVE ME ALONE!"

I watched as she turns the faucet on and splashes her face with the cold water. She clearly wanted to be alone, and I had to respect that. I walked over to the door, and once my hand touches the steel handle, I could hear her sobbing softly.

I couldn't just leave her here. Especially not now.

I turned back around and walked over to her.

"You know, despite what Deborah said, I am a reckless man. Yes, I went from one woman to the next because I know I got this hole that everyone can see and it's easy to just be the joke in the room to hide that feeling. I know I'm not perfect nor been great at committing with women, but today, I'm in a damn woman's bathroom, Cleo, and not because the men's bathroom is broken and I have to take a piss, but because when I look at you..."

I turn away angrily before slamming my hand against the wall. Her footsteps came closer to me as I felt those same warm, familiar hands against my shoulders.

"What is it, Dante?" she asks softly.

Before I could confess my feelings, her pager started to buzz. I smile to myself before answering, "It was nothing important, just along the lines of how you're a great person and I would hate to see you go. You should go before Michael has a cow. Literally." She laughs before nodding, "Yeah, and thank you."

"For what?"

"For just being a good friend. It's hard being at times and you being so supportive. You're so sweet," she complements.

I nod proudly, "Go forth, trooper. Meet me at ambulance bay at 6 and tell Michael I will shove a damn nine inches dildo up his ass if he puts you on call tonight." She laughs before leaving the bathroom as I rest my back against the counter.

I whisper to myself while looking in the mirror, pretending it was Cleo.

"All I wanted to tell you was that...when I look at you, I don't feel that hole I feel right now. I feel...that I found everything I was looking for when I'm with you. And no, no, no don't feed me that corny crap because the truth is Cleo...I haven't felt in a long time, and suddenly, I'm feeling all of these tingly feelings when I'm in your presence...I hope somewhere in your heart you feel the same when you are with me..."

I squint at my reflection in the mirror before laughing. Cleo sees me as a friend, not as...that. I look around the bathroom before thinking:

Why the hell am I still in the women's bathroom?!

Don't forget to comment and like!
A/U: I'm going to try to release another chapter either today or tomorrow. The reads has been absolutely ridiculous with almost 500 reads already and top 300 under the #michaeljackson tab. I'm so glad many people are enjoying this story. I'm officially off for spring break so expect some more updates!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 86 33
No one understood the crippling effects and highs of fame like Maranda Parker...The lengths that those closes to her will go through just for a hit o...
28.5K 1.5K 23
|| 2022 MJFAs WINNER ; BEST MATURE ERA STORY || 𝑨 𝑴𝑰𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑬𝑳 𝑱𝑨𝑪𝑲𝑺𝑶𝑵 𝑹𝑶𝑴𝑨𝑵𝑪𝑬 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑹𝒀 𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆/𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒕 𝒆𝒓𝒂 **M...
74.5K 2.5K 38
MJAwards 2020 Winner! FINISHED!! {Jackson 5 - The Jackson's Era} "But do you... love me? And not like how you love your fans Michael; I mean... how...
722K 11K 18
*Included in @KatyDreams Wattpad's Best Romance Books (Book 2)* In a large shopping mall we went. It was three storeys high, complete with restaurant...