CINDE, The Kings Mate (boyxbo...

By BigNeptune

Cinde, that's his name. A slave to his family and to anyone he might know. When the eclipse comes to town the... More

Summary
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Follow Up

Chapter Fifteen

154K 5.4K 807
By BigNeptune

        My weariness grew as the suns light began to shimmer goodbye behind the clouds in attempt to duck beneath the earths horizon. Night was drawing near and as it did so did my inevitable marking.

        I tried to shake the fear from my head. It was not right that I did not want to be marked, even if it was sooner than the norm. He was my mate and he had a right to choose when it was time. However it felt too soon and I did not wish to see my sisters and father. Not yet. It was such a large climb from slave to the kings mate, and I was having trouble keeping my self from hurling at the height.

        I thought of all that had happened in the short space of time. My mind wandered past Eddergan, my sisters, my father, my dreams, the mating, my mate. It was so much to process that I almost just let it go, as though I where being asked a thousand easy questions at once and answered none.

        Why did I have such a bad feeling about the ceremony? Was it Eddergan? Was he still wandering the halls, searching for me? Was it my father? My slave master, he who holds the belt like a second hand? Or could it be my sisters? They would be angered at my sudden rise to fame when they had been dreaming of my exact position for nearly all their life.

        Whatever it was I didn't like it, and as you know there is nothing I trust more than my instinct. Perhaps a blessing from the goddess Luna would steady my beating heart.

        I rose from the bed and began to redress myself. I felt my face burn apprehensively as Veldores eyes traveled my body from head to toe, burning holes in my skin.

        When I was almost fully dressed and I reached for my shirt I felt Veldores hand clasp over my wrist.

        "Why do you dress, we have plenty of time." He asked me. Dark eyes slipping up and down my naked chest.

        "Veldore I would very much like to leave Luna an offering at the temple before the marking is due." I said silently, hoping he would allow me. "In hope of her blessing."

        Veldore sat up. Running a hand through his rich black hair. 

        He turned to his side and rang a small gold bell that was sitting rather royally above a throne of books upon his bed side table.

        A guard came rushing in the room and bowed at the foot of the bed. His chain mail armor slung across his back like a silk, rattling like metal snakes. He up only once through the shadow of his heavy iron helm, to see me, blush and return his eyes to the floor.

        "Is all fit your majesty?" The guard inquired.

        "My mate should like to leave an offering to Luna, fetch me six of my best men, to accompany him to the goddess's shrine."

        The guard nodded and turned to leave.

        "Oh and bring him some Jasmine to burn."

        "No." I managed quickly.

        Veldore turned to me a brow raised.

        I sank back into the bed slightly. "I would..." I sighed, knowing Veldore would never let me go. "I would much prefer to hand pick the offering."

        "Then I will have them escort you to the royal gardens."

        "No Veldore I-" I stopped myself and breathed in. Trying to rashly convince myself I was not being selfish. "I would- I would like to seek out wild herbs." I stuttered. "Luna- I believe Luna would appreciate them more..."

        Veldore stared at me for a moment, silent. Then turned around and glared at the wall.

        "No."

        "Please Veldore."

        "No."

        "Please Veldore I would not stray far from the palace I promise!"

        "N-" He began.

        "You will have your men there! I could not run away even if I desired it! Please Veldore!"

        "No." He turned back to me and I shrank back into the bed at the sight of his raging glare. "If you mention this again I might just return you to your chains."

        "Veldore..." I trailed off.

        My eyes returned to the guard who was now somewhat baffled, swinging his head from me to Veldore to me to Veldore with wide eyes. 

        Veldore turned to glare at the guard and he quickly stilled, evidently frightened by whatever dark look Veldore was sending him.

        His eyes found mine and I turned to stare at my toes. My eyes downcast and miserable. When I turned to look up at him again I could see that hint of guilt in his eyes that gave me hope.

        He growled. "Fine." He slipped out of the bed and began to slip into his clothes. A shame really, there was a time when I would admire the clothes he wore, however now they only seemed to be in the way. "But know this Cinde. If you dare to even so much as hint at running away, I will have you chained to the altar if it is necessary. Like I have said once before, no second chances will be given."

        I nodded and smiled.

        He turned to the guard who was still frozen in place, his eyes darting between us. "Fetch us the men."

        ****

        When the guards arrived Veldore had already dressed and left. Apparently heading for the main hall in hope to somehow help with the preparation of the marking ceremony.

        They clambered into the room clumsily, their armor clanging against each other's. I noticed pieces of chain hanging from their hilt which where no doubt cuffs or restraints of some kind. I frowned at them, hoping dearly Veldore had not changed his mind on keeping me chained up.

        One noticed my look. "Not for you your majesty, only in case." He said in some poor attempt to calm my thoughts.

        What was that to mean? Only in case?

        I simply nodded and followed them to the door. I was surprised when they halted me. Placing a stubby hand against my chest gently.

        "Ah yes sir there is an issue..." One began.

        "Just a small thing sir..." Another continued.

        "Sir maybe you should shower..." One said, blushing at his shoes and looking anywhere but my face.

        I was confused. "What do you mean?"

        "Sir the mating smell... Really rubs off on others." The first one spoke. He was staring almost dazedly at my neck and travelling slowly upwards to my face before snapping back to reality. It felt some how wrong and made me uneasy.

        Then I realized what he meant. I may have mentioned before that the early mating smell is a mix of the two parties involved plus some sort of an erotic atmospheric sense, one hard to describe. Something like pheromones.

        I flushed a deep red and headed towards the wash room.

        Just as I was about to enter a guard paused me and, still avoiding my eyes, handed me a small bar of soap. It was wrapped in cotton, it looked short and stubby the color of dark pink and had no smell. Oh course! It was a soap bar with Lateo Odos!

        I smiled in his direction and thanked him.

        ****

        My bath was a short one. I asked the maid to only bring up two buckets so it was just about enough and would not take me long.

        When I was done I followed the guards out and let them lead the way. They apparently where already fully aware where I was headed and knew both for what reason and the best spots there where for herbs and wild blossoms.

        When we finally got there the sun had fully sunken below the horizon and the moon was beginning to shine as it slid like a silver coin up into the now deep blue sky.

        I brought a long all sorts of wild flowers, even those I knew held poisonous hallucinogenic properties. I even found four kinds of herbs almost perfect for burning. They would leave a beautiful scent behind. One everyone could enjoy besides Luna.

        As we walked up the winding rocky road that lead to Luna's shrine the guards watched intently as I wrapped the herbs and wild flowers in young thin bendy twigs and tied them tight with a skill I never knew I possessed. It made me proud and I knew this would be a fitting gift for Luna.

        Finally we reached the top of the hill and beheld Luna's home on earth.

        It almost seemed more of a small castle than a shrine. 

        On either sides of the giant archways where pillars shaped to depict Atlas holding the roof on either side as he might holding the sky. Brilliantly detailed carvings of stone faces half protruding from the wall dipped from the curve of the entrance and on either side hung a lit torch blazing warmly at our company.

        There in the dead middle of the room was the twisting curving elegant depiction of a beautiful Luna. Wearing a thin flowing dress that wrapped silkily around her legs with rhythmic creases. She held a sword upon her hilt and a bow slung around her shoulder.

        Directly above the statue at the tip of the roof was a flat window with a pentagram made of wire running through it. It was rumored that the full moons one direct ray of light fell exactly here and that this used to be a well. They say Luna would crawl up from the well every full moon. They say she fought with her lover a werewolf by the name of mendaxius and vowed never to return till the day she would be forced to convey a prophecy.

        But those where all rumors.

        I laid my offering down on the ash filled tray just beside her feat and borrowed a torch from the wall to set it aflame then blew on it hard till the flames ceased and all that was left was a deep red inner glow, the kind you get in coals.

        I perfumed scent filled the air and I inhaled gladly.

        I bowed at the alter.

        Hello Luna. How have you been? It has been far too long since my last visit. So a lots happened, but I'm sure you know all about it and I need'nt repeat. I wish for your blessing Luna, I feel as though my luck as run out and I am frightened.

        The marking is due. I just wish for your blessing, it would mean me the world.

        A guard tapped on my shoulder.

        "Your majesty it is nine, you'll want to return to change and prepare your self. Veldore will be awaiting you and I fear he might send the troops after us if we where to bring you back so much as a second late."

        I nodded. I was hesitant to leave the shrine, I felt somehow comforted here. The warmth and dimming glow of my make shift incense warmed me. It coaxed me into believing I was safe and I was going to be alright, yet somehow left me believing that feeling would only last inside the shrine.

        I did finally turn to leave however, when a grip on my shoulder informed me that it was not a choice I was entitled to make.

        When I turned for one last glace at the shrine I screamed, a small nevertheless frightening scream. It was not clear and it did not seem solid however through the smoke of my incense through the archway opposite to the one we entered through.

        I thought I saw the vague face of Eddergan. His face floating upon the black mist. Calmly watching me with a dark glint in his eye.

        The guards inquired as to what was wrong however I did not feel sane telling them. It wasn't real. I told myself. It was just my mind playing cruel tricks. However I couldn't shake the feeling something odd was happening. And whatever it was, was bound to surprise me.

        I do not enjoy surprises.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

495K 18K 54
Theo is hopelessly in love with his childhood best friend, Kit. At least, he thought it was hopeless, until the Moon blessed him by making Kit his ma...
78.8K 2.9K 68
Pulled into a war he never asked to be a part of. Landon Barnett was groomed from birth to succeed his father as the next Alpha of the Regency Falls...
6.7M 229K 51
"You shouldn't have called me a dog; I'll make you regret that. Prepare yourself "Sparky" because when we get home I'll make you beg." His eyes were...
166K 6.5K 43
Jack was broken. Being the sole survivor of a massacre that killed his entire family while still a child weighed heavily on him. Fearing for his life...