Getting Home

By EMHeartSpark

Ava Mather is a normal 17 year old who has her life suddenly turned upside down when a young man jumps into h... More

Getting Home Part 1
Getting Home Part 2
Getting Home Part 3
Getting Home Part 4
Getting Home Part 5
Getting Home Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part Twenty-Three
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
EPILOGUE

Part 22

170 23 4
By EMHeartSpark

Sean stayed low, gun drawn, turning left immediately after leaving the Sergeant's office and going towards the gunfire.

She'll be okay there, Sean thought.

Yeah, right—this is Ava we're talking about.

The side of his face stung—it felt strange when he touched it, marbled yet sharp and textured. Ava had said it was glass, but there was no blood to be found on his hand.

The gunshots continued as he hurried towards stairwell. Active shooter. Rifle-fire from the department's multiple M4 Carbines joined into the chorus of pistol shots as Sean started down.

What the hell could they be shooting at THAT much?

Even if some crazy group had tried to storm the station, they should have already been quelled by the amount of firepower—but even more department guns were joining the fray; big shotguns with deep, colossal BOOM!'s that Sean felt like a thud in his chest every time they went off.

He was halfway down the stairs when there was a massive crash that reverberated through the building. The lights in the stairwell flickered, then went off—leaving Sean in the dark.

He pulled out his flashlight from his belt, clicking it on as the fire alarm began to blare.

What the hell is going on?

As he neared the bottom of the stairs, holding his pistol out and flashlight tactically held underneath it, a low rumbling starting, vibrating the floor.

Jesus, is that... is that a TANK?

Sean gulped. Doesn't matter. Just find some other officers—group up.

He came out of the stairs into the darkened hallway. His flashlight lit up the labeling on the wall in front of him: CONFERENCE—BRIEFING—FORENSICS.

It was quiet and dark down here. Empty. There was no fire alarm blaring down here either. The gunshots still sounded far away, but they were finally beginning to slow down in frequency.

Good job, idiot—you went the WRONG way. Everyone must be on the other side of the station.

The lobby.

Sean turned that way, still staying low with his pistol out—everything was dead, quiet, and dark down here, but he knew to always be ready... and on guard.

There was a sound to his left.

He whipped the pistol in that direction, the flashlight aim landing on the door placard: FILES.

Something thudded against the door, making Sean jump. He saw the door bounce in the doorframe.

Great, Sean thought. What now?

Maybe someone was hurt behind the door.

There was a short burst of gunfire from somewhere far away—it faded away back to silence almost as quickly as it had risen.

Or a trap.

Don't run away, Sean thought... weakly. Whatever was in there, he was not going to run away this time.

Or so he told himself.

Just go back upstairs and check on Ava, his mind whispered. You can make sure she's safe... and then you'll be safe too.

Sean didn't move, frozen in his thoughts.

Just go back.

Then there was a noise that Sean thought was familiar...

From behind the FILES door.

He went to the door, his gun down but still at the ready, his flashlight up and aimed at the doorknob. It was unlocked... he cautiously reached out, turning the knob quietly and steadily, concentrating on slowing his breathing.

The door creaked as it slowly swung open.

He only took a few steps in, swinging his flashlight around in the dark, heart slamming in his chest. There were rows of shelves, filled with manila folders and files. Then all of a sudden—

Something blurry launched at him.

Sean only caught a flash—fangs, glowing eyes, a fuzzy yellow...

As a dog jumped on him.

The dog. The dog that had been with Ava. What had she called it? Funny? Furry?

Fury.

"Hey boy," Sean said, using his hand that held the flashlight to scratch behind Fury's ear. "What are you doing in here? How did—"

There was an explosion somewhere in the building—so big and violent that it shook the floor, throwing Sean off his feet. Manila files and folders flew and fluttered as shelves toppled upon each other.

The ceiling began to sag and crumble.

"Go!" Sean shouted at the dog... but more at himself.

The point was moot anyways—the dog was already out of the room and running down the corridor.

"Thanks for waiting, pal," Sean grumbled. He nimbly hopped up, snatching up his flashlight and racing after Fury.

The light began to get brighter the further Sean went—he was confused, until he saw flames licking out of the offices he passed. The rumbling was getting louder—the shaking too was now non-stop, like a low grade earthquake.

There was a loud crash from behind—Sean instantly knew it was from the file room, where had been only a minute prior.

Oh my god.

Sean reached an intersection in the corridors and heard barking coming from one of the hallways that branched off. He looked towards the direction he had been going—the lobby.

Behind him, there was more crashing and thunder as the ceiling fell.

Goddammit, he thought. Then another thought crept in...

It's just a dog. Forget it. Save yourself.

The dog barked again from that direction.

"Aw fuck," Sean mumbled, holstering his pistol. He took off down the corridor.

Away from the lobby.

There were more flames and debris down here. He sprinted through, the smoke getting thicker and making it tougher to breathe.

"Hey!" he shouted. "Hey, boy! Dog! Fury! Where are you!"

More barking.

From Digital Forensics.

There were more flames here, and a lot of smoke—Sean could barely see. He covered his mouth, trying not to breathe too much of it in.

"Fury!" Sean shouted in between bouts of coughing and hurrying frantically through the aisles of computer servers and equipment. "Fury, where are you!"

The ceiling here, too, began to crack and crumble.

Well, that's it, then, Sean thought. It was weird; all of his fear was gone, suddenly replaced by an odd calmness. I'm dead. Died trying to save a dog. I barely even LIKE dogs. I wish I could have—

Sean froze.

Oh no.

Oh my god.

AVA.

He had left Ava in the Sergeant's office.

I've gotta go back.

There was no hesitation in that thought, for once—until the loud banging and crushing sound of tumbling rocks falling from where he had come in at.

The way out was blocked.

Sean suddenly heard whining. He whirled his head around, finally catching a flash of yellow in the haze—

Fury.

He was standing, whining, over what looked like a body laying motionless on the floor—it was hard to tell. Sean squinted, seeing some white cloth... a lab coat.

And long red hair, fanned out on the floor.

Sophia Adler.

He immediately hurled himself forward, no thought or debate in his mind. Fury saw him coming and began barking loudly, hopping up and down in place in little circles.

A loud, male voice suddenly shouted out from the back of the room.

"Hey! Anybody in here! If you can hear me, come towards my voice!"

Sean easily scooped Sophia off the floor, cradling her in his arms and running towards the voice as fast and hard as he could. He could hear the frantic clicking of Fury's paws right behind him. The smoke swirled and billowed around Sean as he ran.

Everything started to fall and collapse behind him, massive, huge noise and collisions that blared everything else out. The ground shook violently. Just when he felt he couldn't run any longer, he caught a flash—

Of a police officer silhouetted in the doorway at the rear-exit of the room.

An exit that led out behind the station.

The cop saw him, his eyes suddenly widening. "Hey! It's Mather! Hurry up!"

Sean ran even harder. The figure in the doorway disappeared, revealing the cold, snowy night outside. Sean re-doubled his efforts just as the roof above him fell—

He burst out into the back parking lot in a plume of smoke, flames, and debris flying out after him. There were a lot of people out here... and all of them were sprinting away.

Sean followed them, hearing the entire police station come down on itself behind him.

He stopped at the edge of the parking lot, on the grass, suddenly completely spent with nothing left. He dropped to his knees, his back still to the collapsing building, still holding Sophia Adler and bowing his head.

Ava, he mourned, as the tears began to flow down his face. Oh my god, Ava.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 842 67
A violent passion. A dangerous bond. A nightmare that will change everything. To Ava, love is about as real as fairytales. But it might be that fairy...
683 36 30
"What if... you suddenly die?" What will you do? ************ Allie, a young teenager was found missing one day after ha...
Forgive or Forget By SueLou

Mystery / Thriller

5.4K 671 32
Cheryl and Reed had a whirlwind romance. Reed swept Cheryl off of her feet. Her family and friends thought things between them were moving too fast...
770K 40.2K 50
She'd survived change. She'd survived heartbreak. Now she has to survive one more fight for survival. Ava Delaney was normal once upon a time, but th...