shake the dust // JENLISA

By gothallanpoe

Jenlisa AU Lisa and Jennie have been married for eight years, but things between them become strained and unc... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 21

18.8K 766 176
By gothallanpoe

Jennie was in her home office all day taking care of calls and emails, so when she finally got up and took a walk through the house, she paused in the hallway to stare at Lisa in confusion. Lisa was just sitting on the couch, eating chips and watching TV as the dogs slept at her sides and feet.

"Lisa?"

Lisa stuck her hand into the bag again. "Mm?" She turned down the volume.

Jennie tentatively stepped into the room. "Are you... aren't your parents coming over? What time is it?"

Lisa, not concerned, pulled her phone out and checked the time. "About ten to eight. They'll be here in a few minutes."

Jennie went rigid. She hadn't realized what time it was, with all the work her father had left for her despite her being at home. She swallowed hard and furrowed her brows. "But... nothing was prepared."

Lisa gave her a look. "What, you want me to hire caterers just to have my moms over? You know what they're like." She laughed in genuine amusement. "Come here."

Jennie did so. The memory of yesterday was still fresh in her mind, of the disaster that was their evening dinner and how horrible her parents were. Looking back on it, her father was really... stuck up. Jennie had always known he wasn't really an outstanding man, but had he always really been so nasty? She felt so ashamed and disgusted with him, and especially with her mother after throwing all that wine all over Lisa. Just remembering the burning look in Lisa's eyes as she had stood up to them made Jennie warm all over, even as her heart threatened to shatter under the hurt and anger at her parents.

"Sorry, I know. It's been a while since I saw them last."

Lisa wrapped an arm around her and tugged Jennie against her side. "They love you more than they love me," Lisa told her with a grin. "And they won't care that you're in a t-shirt and shorts, or that we're having pizza for dinner. Really. Relax."

Jennie forced herself to relax. Despite the previous evening, Lisa seemed to be in an oddly good mood. Her mothers always did that for her, though. They didn't panic her, not like Jennie's parents did for her. Jennie felt a small pierce of jealousy, but that melted away quickly when the doorbell rang and Lisa's eyes sparkled.

"The parentals have arrived," Lisa said, standing. She held her hand out, waiting, and Jennie took it hesitantly. She felt dirty for taking it, like she had no right. Lisa's parents were so wonderful. If they found out about the marriage counselling or their problems, surely they would come to finally hate Jennie for the useless person she was.

"They love you," Lisa told her, breaking her out of her depressed thoughts. "Remember that."

Jennie gave a tiny nod and forced herself to smile when Lisa opened the door. The moment Lisa's parents spotted them, they broke out into broad, happy grins.

"My baby!" Lisa's mother exclaimed, launching herself forward and into Lisa's waiting arms.

"Mom," Lisa laughed, almost toppling over. "You're going to kill me one day."

"Nonsense, I'm too small for that."

Lisa's mum stepped inside, smirking. "You keep telling yourself that, love."

Lisa's mom stepped out of her daughter's arms to glare at her wife, but that only earned a chuckle and a lifted brow. Jennie watched them, fascinated. Lisa got most of her features from her mum, who was tall and attractive and freckled, but who was severely white and had black hair. Lisa's tiny mother, who had carried and given birth to her, had given her the slightly tanned skin and big doe brown eyes. No matter their differences though, Lisa still managed to look like the perfect combination of her parents, and knowing that they had conceived Lisa purely because they'd wanted to made Jennie envious.

"Oh, look at you, Jennie!" Mom cooed, shooing her wife and daughter away to pull Jennie into a hug. They were the same height-much to Lisa's endless amusement-and she smelt like coffee and lavender. She was small, but her hug was incredibly tight and Jennie felt a profound moment of physical relief at the sensation of being squeezed in someone's arms like that. Somehow Lisa's mother always knew what she needed, because she hugged her extra tight, rubbed her back in comfort and pulled away to smile at her. "Just as beautiful as the day we met you. We haven't seen you in weeks."

Jennie looked away, smile dropping. "Sorry about that."

"Nonsense," Mum interjected, inserting herself to give Jennie a half hug and a smile. "You've got nothing to apologize for. Has Lisa been treating you well?" She turned and gave Lisa a look, but Lisa puffed her chest up and tried to look brave. Before long their posturing made them laugh, and they embraced tightly.

"She has," Jennie hurried to say, not wanting them to pick up on the fact that actually, things hadn't been that great.

"I try," Lisa added, smile dwindling. To save the sudden awkward silence, the bell rang again and Lisa opened it to pay for their pizza. Mum laughed hard when she saw the pizza, claiming that only her daughter would have the gall to invite her mothers over and order goddamn pizza.

"What?" Lisa exclaimed, mock offended. "Pizza is the food of the gods, mum. Don't you and mom argue about pizza all the time?"

"We do no such thing!" Mum exclaimed.

"Liars, the both of you," Mom told them, wagging her finger. "I have no clue how the two of you stay so lean with all the junk you shove in your bodies."

"Mom, I'm here for a good time, not a long time," Lisa shot back.

Mum snorted on a laugh, which made Lisa snort too. Jennie covered her mouth with her hand, laughter bubbling up out of her almost uncontrollably. The tears were just as surprising, and when Lisa noticed them she immediately rushed forward to cup her cheeks, eyes concerned.

"I'm sorry," Jennie choked out, wiping her eyes. "I don't.. I just..."

Lisa kissed her softly on the lips. "It's okay." She slid her hands down and intertwined their fingers. Jennie knew she didn't need to explain anything. Lisa just knew. Jennie had almost forgotten what this felt like, to have such a deep and profound connection with someone, that Lisa could be so attuned to her inner thoughts like this. Of course Lisa knew.

"See? Your dumb jokes still make your wife cry, idiot," Mum grumbled at Lisa, smacking her upside the head.

Lisa's brow ticked, but she didn't rise to the bait. Jennie laughed and stepped forward, into Lisa's arms. She inhaled deeply, soaking in the smell of Lisa and the warmth of her. This was definitely home. Jennie thought of the night before, of the rigid coldness she'd felt, the emptiness around her parents. She much preferred this. The warmth of Lisa's mothers, the love they exuded without any effort. This was the family she wanted.

"Can we maybe stop standing in the hallway?" Mom spoke up suddenly. "I'm hungry."

Both Lisa and Mum groaned, but Jennie laughed again and nodded. "God, sorry. My parents came over yesterday and it was such a disaster. I'm a wreck. We didn't clean the place or anything, but we can relax in the lounge."

Mom smiled, but her eyes got an edge to them. Jennie recognized that shimmer of protectiveness, and she could sense it was being directed at her. It made her feel amazing.

"What happened?" Mom asked, pushing Lisa away to take her hand. They all started walking to the lounge then, Lisa and Mum silent. Lisa looked worried, but Mum had a practised look of blank curiosity on her face.

"Just the usual," Jennie sighed, waving her hand. "But don't let my awful parents ruin our dinner. Lisa's been looking forward to this all day."

"Alright love, but you can always pull me aside if you need to vent. Lord knows my daughter can be a hardass sometimes, especially when she's needed." Mom looked at Lisa, which made her stiffen and look away nervously.

Yeah, she had probably already realized something was amiss. But whatever, they'd be okay.

"So, pizza?" Mum inquired casually, setting the pizza boxes down on the coffee table-Lisa had probably shoved them into her arms post Jennie's crying fit. "I hope there's no pineapple on these."

Lisa smirked. "You're weak," she taunted.

Mum's eyes narrowed. "Lisa, don't test me." It was a warning, one that Lisa didn't heed.

"Oh come on, Hawaiian pizza isn't the same without pineapple."

The two started to bicker back and forth as they always did, and Jennie suddenly felt like everything was alright. The playful arguing was always amusing to watch, especially when it evolved into wrestling on the couch. Jennie felt tears press at her eyes again, but Mom took her hand and squeezed it, and her eyes were filled with nothing but motherly love.

"Is everything really okay?" she asked softly, seriously.

Jennie looked down at her lap. She smiled sadly. "Not really," she answered honestly. "But we'll get there."

No doubt she wanted to ask more, but Mom nodded and then grabbed some pizza for them. They let Lisa and mum argue to their heart's delight, and the whole night Mom didn't let go of her hand or give her a moment to sink back into her depression.

Jennie was kept afloat by it.

//

sorry i'm late, i've been busy with work, work and more work 😩

but anyway, happy birthday lalisa manoban!! we love youuuu, and thank you for making the world a whole lotta better place with u in it! everybody also please say thank you mama manoban for making our lisa 😆

#THELALISADAY 💜
#THELALISADAY 💜
#THELALISADAY 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 116K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
604K 13.6K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
314K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
1M 55K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...