The Soldier's Girl

By Alice-in-Wonderland3

Allison Smith born 1924. Anyone who walked passed her in the streets would think she was just as generic as h... More

Summer of 1945
Rogers, Barnes and Smith
The change we need
Saying Farewell
The Procedure
An Explosion
Leadership
Arguments
I got my boys back
Dancing
Waving them off
I love you
A new soldier
2012
Waking Up
Back where I belong
The time we lost
Our first mission
Meeting the Gods
Getting through
Biting the bullet
Avengers Initiative
Chitauri
Assemble
Goodbye for now
Happy Birthday
Eternity
Washington DC
Somethings Up
Trusting no one
Revisiting the past
Agent 13
Bubblegum
The Winter Soldier
On the Run
Return of HYDRA
Sam Wilson
Bucky?
The bitch is alive
A different POV
Captain for a reason
Back to the past
Price of Freedom is high
Fighting a Friend
You know me
Sister from another Mister
Awakening
New beginnings
Christmas Celebrations
The Soldier's Girl
Announcement
New Years
The weird and the fast
Artificial Intelligence
A turn of events
Guilt
Secrets
Apologies
Vision
Sokovia
Fright of our lives
The Wedding
Lagos
Goodbye Sissy
The Funeral
Parting Ways
What more can I do?
You can't stop me.
Therapists
Friends to Enemies
Civil War
Killing of my best friend
Hurt
Endings and New Beginnings
Two Years Later
Making an appearance
Infinity War
They're Gone
Aftermath
Family
A Big Suprise
Time Travel
How, When and Where?
Whatever It Takes
Steve's POV:
The Second Snap
Endgame
Part of the journey is the end.
The End.
Final Message

Super Soldier

6.5K 142 10
By Alice-in-Wonderland3

The next morning I woke up bright and early to get ready for the big day. Today was the day Dr. Erskine would use his super-Soldier serum on one lucky soldier.

I had no idea who it was going to be. I had been too focused on trying to perfect the serum and machinery. Abraham was astonished with my knowledge and let me almost run his experiment which I shyly declined. We had got along well over the last few months. I even got to work with the Howard Stark.

I did not like him a first. He was a flirt. But I soon realised he actually did care for my opinion and thoughts. He didn't mind working next to or for a woman and I like that about him.

I sighed as I straightened out my lab coat. My hair was in a low pony tail and I stared into the mirror at my reflection wondering how Steve and Bucky were. I missed them more everyday but I pushed my thoughts aside and wondered outside to the car waiting to take me to the lab.

When I arrived fifteen minutes later I greeted everyone before getting to work not knowing who was on his way here.

Steve and Peggy were in their own car driving through Brooklyn.
"I know this neighbourhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner." Steve spoke looking out the window.
"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy stared at the small blonde boy beside her.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?" Steve looked over to Peggy and smiled.
"I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face." Peggy admitted, being a woman in the army hasn't proven to be easier.

"I guess I just don't why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful... a woman. An agent, not a dame! You are beautiful, but..." Steve scolded himself. He hasn't talked to any other girls before apart from Allison.

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy smiled.
"I've only ever talked to one properly. My best friend Allison. Known her since I was a baby. She was the only person who ever believed in me. Apart from her, this is the longest conversation I've had with a woman. Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on." Steve smiled fondly thinking about Allison again. He was back in Brooklyn and wondered how easy it would be to dive out the car and walk to her house.

"You must have danced? Not even with this Allison you speak of?" Peggy asked.
"Well, asking a woman to dance always seems so terrifying. And the past few years just didn't seem to matter that much. Figured I'd wait."
"For what?" Peggy asked.
"The right partner." Steve admitted making Peggy sink back in awe. She wondered whoever this Allison girl seemed very lucky to have someone like Steve by her side.

They finally pull up by an antiques shop and get out of the car.
"This way." Peggy informs Steve.
"What are we doing here?" Steve asks confused.
"Follow me."
They go inside and the Antique Store Owner walks up to them.
"Wonderful weather this morning isn't it?"
"Yes, but I always carry an umbrella." Peggy spoke. Steve realised it must have been some code and watched as Peggy leads him into the hidden lab to Dr. Erskine and his team in a big circular room, filled with machinery and a pod in the middle. However, a certain blonde hair girl catches his eye.

She hasn't noticed him yet as she busily rushed around making sure everything was perfect. Steve smiled brightly at the sight. She never changed. Allison finally looked up and followed everyone's gaze. Her mouth dropped open in shock and if she was holding anything it most likely would have dropped.

I was just busily rushing around getting everything to look perfect for when the Soldier arrived. I wanted everything to run smoothly. I finally stopped and looked around but noticed everyone seemed to be looking at something so I followed their gaze only to be met with bright blue eyes. The brightest blue I'd ever seen.

Standing in front of me was my best friend. I couldn't believe it. But it all made sense. He was the Soldier for the experiment! I looked to Dr. Erskine who just smirked at me and nodded his head over to Steve. I waited till he walked down the stairs before rushing over to him embracing him in a hug. I sighed into his shoulder.
"Hey Ali." He smirked.
I backed away and lightly hit his chest.
"What are you doing here? You couldn't have put this in the letters?" I ask him not being able to drop the smile off my face.
"Surprise." Was all he said.

I noticed people looking at us and I coughed in realisation but the smile never left my face.
"Er-Ali this is Peggy Carter. Peggy this is Allison Smith." I smiled at the young woman stood next to him.

She was beautiful. She had perfectly pinned brunette hair. Her uniform fit her athletic figure perfectly and she had the rosiest lips I've ever seen. She looked a bit surprised and I'm not shocked, I mean I look a mess compared to her.
"So you're the Allison I've been hearing all about." She smiled shaking my hand.
"All good things I hope." I joked.
"Of course." She smiled at me.
"It's a pleasure to meet you."
"And you."

"Good morning." Dr. Erskine broke our little reunion up. Flustered I push away the baby hairs out my face that managed to come out my ponytail and take a step back. I watch as Erskine shakes Steve's hand and somebody takes a photograph. The flash blinds me.
"Please, not now." Dr. Erskine tells him, noticing me blinking rapidly to eliminate the bright dots that now clogged my vision.
The photographer walks away, Steve looks at the pod nervously.

I walk back over to him and place a comforting hand on his shoulder.
"Are you ready?" I ask.
Steve nods at me and I smile.
"Good. Take off your shirt, your tie and your hat." Erskine asks.
Steve does as he's told and I hold his gaze smiling as I get back to work.

Over in the glass room looking over the lab some officials are meeting.
"Fred Clemson, State Department." He says shaking Phillips' hand.
"If this project of yours comes through, we'd like to see it used for something other than headlines. Jesus. Somebody get that kid a sandwich. And who's that blonde girl working with Stark and Erskine?"
"That would be Miss Allison Smith." Chester replied.
"Ah, genius child. Well, let's hope she lives up to our expectations."

Back in the chamber I watch Steve carefully as he climbed into the pod and lays down. Howard must have noticed my discomfort as I stand next to him.
"Hey. He'll be alright. Erskine wouldn't have chosen him if he didn't think this would work."
"I know. That won't stop me worrying about him." I admit.
"I know." Howard smiled.

I walk back over to Erskine and Steve.
"Comfortable?" Erskine asks.
"It's a little big. You save me any of that schnapps?" Steve asked. It must have been an inside joke.
"Not as much as I should have. Sorry. Next time. Mr. Stark, Miss Smith how are your levels?"
"Levels at 100%." Howard replied while I nodded my head agreeing.
"Good." He replied.
"We may dim half the lights in Brooklyn, but we are ready as we'll ever be." I continue.
"Agent Carter? Don't you think you would be more comfortable in the booth?" Dr. Erskine asked the young Agent. I offer her another warm smile which she returns. I think she's just happy to see another strong woman in the field, and I have to say I felt the same.

"Oh, yes. Of course. Sorry." She replied before quickly walking off.
I turned back to Steve who was still smiling at me.
"Your gonna be ok. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." I tell him.
"I know. After all you are watching over me doll." I rolled my eyes at his lame joke but take his hand in mine and squeeze it.

Just then Dr. Erskine takes a microphone and taps it.
"Do you hear me? Is this on? Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step on the path to peace. We begin with a series of micro injections into the subjects major muscle groups. The serum infusion will cause immediate cellular change. And then to stimulate growth, the subject will be saturated with Vita-Rays."
As he spoke I took a needle and injected Steve with some medication.
"That wasn't so bad." He looked at me and smiled. I laughed lightly and caught Erskine's eyes.
"That was penicillin." He said making Steve flush in embarrassment.
"Serum infusion beginning in five, four, three, two, one." I speak.
Steve looks at me one last time before looking at the ceiling.
I watch as the blue serum is injected into his arms.
"Now, Mr. Stark." I ask Howard.
Stark lowers a leaver, the pod moves upright and encloses Steve inside. My breath hitches as all I can do is watch.

Abraham goes and knocks on the capsule. "Steven, can you hear me?" He asked.
"It's probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?" Steve replied making me let out a shaky breath.
Erskine turns to me then Stark. I nod at him.
"We will proceed." He spoke.
Howard manages the controls. I step off the platform and watch.
"That's ten percent. Twenty percent. Thirty. That's 40 %."
"Vital signs are normal." I hear someone else call.
"That's 50 %. Sixty. Seventy." Just as Howard said that I heard the dreaded noise I prayed I wouldn't have to hear today. Steve starts screaming in pain as he is receiving the vita rays.
"Steven!" Erskine calls.
"Steve." I call but it's barely above a whisper. My body was in shock at the thought of loosing him and in the background I heard Peggy shouting at them to Shut it down.

I finally came to my sense and rushed up to the capsule.
"Steve!" I call. I knock on the pod.
"Kill the reactor, Mr. Stark!" I make the call to Howard.
"Turn it off! Kill it! Kill the reactor!" Erskine agrees with me.
"No! Don't! I can do this!" Steve manages to call.
The two men wait for my call. I debate over what to do in the next five seconds. If I didn't let Steve do this, he would hate me. I blink my tears away and nod backing away from the pod. Everyone goes back into action.

"Eighty. Ninety. That's 100 %."
A few seconds after that everything overloads until the reactor closes itself down. I watch with my breath hitched in my throat.
All I wanted was Steve to be ok.
"Mr. Stark?" Erskine asks.
I watch as Stark opens the pod and I gasp as the mist disappears leaving a transformed Steve, into a super-soldier.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 241 29
"I am with you Steve...until my last breath." Steve Rogers, a once rejected military soldier transforms into Captain America after taking a dose of a...
1.2K 37 29
Things are going great for Aliana. She has an amazing relationship with Captain America himself. She and Steve have been together since the Battle of...
79.4K 3.7K 11
Bucky, Steve and reader are best friends, their relationship spanning over decades filled with joy, traumas, and hardships that none of them could ev...
1.2M 29.8K 21
{Set In Captain America: The First Avenger} 𝘚𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨: 𝘐 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘯 2013 𝘴𝘰 𝘤𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘢𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘥. - [2020 f.o.l]...