Oh, We Can Be Heroes

By fookingbananas

tommy is a flight risk, and his new caseworker isn't letting him fly away. or when phil is a knock-off charle... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty

3.3K 185 266
By fookingbananas

The 12th came a lot quicker than expected. Tommy had tried his best to mentally prepare all week, but when the day came, he wasn't prepared at all. Final's had gone well, so now they all just prepared for the graduation that was to take place a few days after on the 15th, and he couldn't begin to comprehend that. The year had gone by so fast, and yet it felt like he had just came here, came home.

"Look, this will not be the worst news we get all year. I can name about 17 different events that were so much worse, at least there's no packages. Can I get those stats again, Tommy?" Wilbur had asked Tommy the statistical probability of him getting into Julliard almost everyday since he applied.

"Still hasn't changed, Will. 6.9%. Techno's is still at 12.3%. You'll be fine, big man. Worst comes to worst you'll have to live with me and Dad another year," He laughed awkwardly. He was excited for his brothers, but for some reason, also angry? They had just become a family, and they had plans to leave?

He ignored that, and focused on the timer that went off on Phils phone. "Okay, that means both of your results should be up. Remember, you both have backups and there is absolutely nothing wrong with community college. A degree is a degree, no matter where you get it from. You can also take a gap year-"

"I GOT IN!" Wilbur's yells interrupted his dad, as he jumped up and cheered. "HOLY SHIT! I GOT IN! Jubilee Line got me in! I'm going to Julliard! HOLY SHIT!" Phil hugged his son, tears in his eyes. He knew he was going to cry no matter what. He was beyond proud of his sons, and was so excited to see the people they were going to become.

"What about you, Tech?" Tommy's foot began to bounce up and down, and his chest hurt slightly. He was, of course, so happy for his brother. But, he couldn't ignore the sinking feeling that flooded his chest at the idea of Wilbur being all the way in New York.

Techno clicked a link, put in his passcode, and clicked another. They all sat in silence as it loaded, Wilbur antsy to celebrate with his brother.

"Dear Mr. Watson, Congratulations! We are pleased to WELCOME YOU TO UCLA! I GOT IN!" His actions copied his brother, only this time Phil was crying. Tommy felt his eyes tear up, and his hands shake slightly.

He didn't like this. It felt wrong.

"Good job, Techno! I'm really excited for you!" He pushed it down as far as he could, and ignored the sinking feeling in his chest.

"How cool is that, Toms? You and Dad will be able to explore two major cities! On one end, you'll have me in Los Angeles, and then Wills in New York! How cool is that?" Techno gave him a two thumbs up, running his hands through his hair (before it got caught, and he grumbled).

"Awesome. It's awesome." His words were tense, but everyone either didn't notice or chose to ignore it.

"Dad, I'm going to go over to Fundy's house and celebrate. Is that okay?" Techno was ready to go, buzzing with energy.

"Yes, just be home before dinner! I want us to celebrate as a family." Phil wanted to get started on dinner as soon as possible, excited to make his lasagna.

"Me and Wilbur will be back in time. C'mon, Will. Want to come with, Toms?" Techno grabbed the car keys, and turned to his little brother.

"Uh, no thanks. I have some stuff to do in my room. Want to clean it up before we're all running around for your graduation." He attempted to joke, which was successful.

He watched his brothers walk out of the house, and his fake smile dropped from his face. Phil may have said something to him, but he didn't hear it, as he raced up the stairs to his bedroom. He closed his door as quick as he could behind him, pressing his head against it and taking a deep breath.

"Are you sad?" Tommy jumped slightly at the voice of Athena, turning around to see her on his bed. "It's okay to be happy for them and sad at the same time. Emotions are quite confusing in that way." Athena's face showed nothing but understanding and acceptance, which led to Tommy breaking down, and her getting up to hug him.

"I don't want them to leave. Will's school is in New York, that's so far from here! What if something happens and we can't help him or reach him in time? Then-then Techno's school is in California! California! That's the total opposite of the country from Will. Three different time zones and everything. What if they don't want to come back? What if it just is me and Dad, and then he realizes I'm not enough for him? I don't want to lose my family." Tommy's breath was uneven, as he was on the border of a panic attack. She brought her hands to his back, trying to sooth him.

"Tommy, they love you so much. They will be okay, and they will come back. Do you really think they won't call you at least twice a day? Just because they won't physically be here, doesn't mean they'll fully be gone. You're not going to be alone, if that's what you're afraid of. I promise, even if that means me and you start spending every minute of your day together. Do you want to know something, Tommy? I'm proud of you. So, so proud of you. You have grown so much in such a small amount of time, it is amazing to see you become the young man you're becoming. I am so proud to be your goddess. You know, I tell the other gods about you?"

Tommy sniffed, "Really?" Athena laughed, continuing to rub the child's back and hug him tight.

"Of course. You're my pride and joy! I always believe that you're going to do amazing things, and I have yet to be proven wrong. I'm here until the end with you, kid. Then, when you have kids, I'll be with them as well. I'm like a mother, I guess." She felt Tommy laugh slightly, and she felt accomplished.

"I'm not having children, Athena. They are gross. It's just going to be me and the boys, and we're going to travel and be amazing. We don't need women or men." She pulled away, and saw the boy was smiling.

"Sure, sure. Say that now. We have a long time before that. For now, let's tackle you being an adorable clingy shit and work from there." She ruffled his hair, and he laughed.

"Thank you for being there for me, Athena. I appreciate it."

"Thank you for letting me."

-

That is one of my favorite things about love. Love comes in such different forms. There's love like Will and Sally, a romantic one. There's one like Dream and George, or Tommy and Tubbo. Their platonic love, one of best friends who would give the world to them. Then, there's love like Athena and Tommy, the parents and their respective kids. That love, that familial love, one that is not defined biology.

It's so easy to love, yet we always forget that, and choose hate.

I wish we didn't.

Also, Oliver has learned how to use his litter box.

I have also started to crochet, and it is nice.

I have more memories of my friends. I really miss them.

I have an idea that might get them back, I really need to think about it.

Until Next Time.

-

Breakfast on Graduation day made Tommy visibly uncomfortable. Phil had been crying non-stop, and Will joined in at some parts.

Until, Techno walked through the door with a mullet.

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO YOUR HAIR?!" Phil's tears were gone in seconds, and he had gotten up from his seat, and walked over to Techno.

Techno's hair, that was once to his shoulder blades, now rested on the nape of his neck. The sides were slightly shaved, and slowly got longer the higher you got up on his neck. Tommy thought it looked great on him.

"You told me to get a haircut," Techno joked, cheeks red from his father's yelling.

"I TOLD YOU TO GET A TRIM, TECHNO! I TOLD YOU TO GET A TRIM! THIS IS A FUCKING MULLET! NOT A TRIM!" Phil looked as though he was about to bash his head into the table, and he sighed.

"I think it looks badass, Tech. Killed it as always." Will talked in between his bites of the waffles Phil had made, laughing slightly.

"I agree, look's great man." Tommy chimed in, giving him a thumbs up.

"Thanks, guys. It felt like it was weighing me down, so I decided to chop it for new beginnings. To new beginnings, everyone." Techno sat, and poured himself a glass of orange juice. "Cheers."

"Cheers." Tommy and Will joined in, the three cups of orange juice clanking together.

"I'm never going to get a fucking break with these kids, am I?" Phil looked up to the ceiling and sighed.

Athena, Hebe, Zeus, and Echo watched on (invisible to everyone else to the room) and laughed. No, Phil wouldn't get one for a long time.

-

Tommy sat through the graduation, with his friends and their parents. After graduation, only Connor, Ranboo, Purpled, Tubbo, and himself would be in highschool. All of the seniors had plans of going away, the farthest being Eret for University of Edinburgh. During the ceremony, they had a moment dedicated to Sally, which led to everyone almost immediately getting very emotional. There were lots of tears, and Tommy was visibly uncomfortable. That led to him spacing out most of the time, only paying attention when someone he knew was called. He also realized he hadn't talked to anyone outside of the 18 kids that were in high school, because of their natural response to hate them.

"Do you think the gods come to this?" He asked Tubbo, after Sam had received his diploma.

"I'd like to think so. Probably not, I feel like Artemis would want to do anything but sit through my graduation. Athena would probably come to yours, though." Tommy's cheek burnt red, and he turned his attention back to the graduation ceremony.

The gods were there, of course, each of them cheering on their descendent. It was an odd group, since they all had many different gods ranging in capabilities. The children did have a good feeling they were there, especially when Schlatt's name was called and a rainbow mysteriously appeared in the sky.

Iris cheered her heart out for Schlatt, and Pelios followed for Minx. Coeus clapped for Karl, and Hypnos followed for Sapnap. Echo made the wind have a soft melody when Will's name was called, and Hebe had a saddened smile (for they knew this would not be the last graduation of Techno's they would attend, the boy was immortal, this one would be the first of many). Asclepius made sure anyone who even felt remotely sick was at full health when Niki was called, as Hephaestus jumped up and down and cheered on Fundy. Ares wanted to shoot an arrow to the sky for Dream and George, but decided against it in fear of hitting someone. Finally, Hermes (for the day) gave everyone good luck and cheered on Eret, and Philotes mended any friendships on the rocks after seeing Sam.

The gods weren't all like Athena, they all weren't as close and comforting to their descendants. But, when they could be, they would show up for them. Graduation was a day of happiness, luck, and prosperity for the kids.

Nobody commented on the tears that ran down some of their faces, and the uncontrollable rainbow that shone in the sky, as the graduation caps flew into the air, and this chapter of their life was over.

-

"Hello, everyone. I am honestly shocked I was asked to say a few words, but here we all are. Graduation, that is- well it's insane." The group sat at the table in Phil's backyard, celebrating their accomplishments. Everyone was there (including the gods, invisible to their eyes). Karl stood, glass in hand, nervous as ever to give his speech. Coeus watched, in pride, as his descendant began the new era of leadership. "I cannot believe that we are here. Granted, not all of us are, but we made it. We did it. Was it easy? No, I don't think anything is for us. But, we did it together. We got through so much bad shit, and now we can finally breathe for a bit. But, I do say a bit. Yes, we can enjoy today, but do not forget our final goal. We have some Jim Jones bitches to take down! Now, anyone else want to say something?" Everyone clapped at his words, before Quackity stood up.

"I'm not one of you. I don't have a god, and to be useful I have to sacrifice fucking squirrels. But, for some reason, you all consider me family. I've lost my family before, and I am ready to fight like hell to not lose you all. Even though my entire body tells me to hate you all and run away, I wouldn't in a million years. Thank you for becoming my family." Quackity choked up slightly at the end, and the others clapped again. When it died down, one person was clapping.

"Alexander, nice to make your acquaintance. Everyone, hello, nice to meet you all. My name is Dionysus, none of you are my descendants. My line died out a long time ago, and I've been waiting for my final one, as the oracles said there was one more. Turns out, it was you, Alex. Fate works in mysterious ways, I guess. Your speech was great, but stupidly inaccurate. You are one of them. Well, now you are." He snapped his fingers, and Quackity felt that need to run away die out, and he smiled.

"Does this mean I get cool powers and shit?" Phil wanted to slam his head into the table with the thought of having to train someone how to use their powers all over again, before remembering that would become Karl's job.

"Of course it does, man! Don't know how they'll manifest themselves, but they'll come, don't worry. We'll talk soon." He waved goodbye, and disappeared into nothingness.

"Well, Welcome Home Alex. No more sacifical rabbits!" Sam high fived him, Quackity beaming from his giddiness.

"We better play those games again, since now I can take down you motherfuckers like it's nothing." His smile was contagious, making the mood (that was already high) even higher.

"Anyone else want to give a heartfelt speech before all of this becomes just some nonsense?" Phil tried to pull them back on track, since he knew their attention span wasn't the greatest. Tommy cleared his throat, before standing up and rubbing his hands on his legs.

"I am pretty much the main cause for all of this fucked up shit happening your guy's senior year, so I think it's only fitting I talk. First and foremost, I'm sorry. I wish I could go back and change so many of my actions, and if I could I would. But, sadly none of us are time travelers. I don't know how to put into words how bittersweet today was. I am so beyond excited for all of you, for all of the places I'm going to be able to visit you guys. But, you're all leaving. I, as we all know, haven't had the best luck with family. My father wasn't winning any father of the year awards, if you know what I mean."

Connor choked on his water, some of it coming out of his nose, causing Ranboo to struggle as he held in his laughter.

"Thank you, Connor. Really thought more of you guys would laugh at that one. Tough crowd. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you for being my family. I haven't always been the easiest person to be around, and I've fucked up plenty. Let's just promise, no matter how far we all go, that at the end of the day, we are home. Not this place, but us. We are home." He wasn't met with claps, it was more of an awkward silence than anything.

Athena wanted to fight all of them we she saw him get visibly uncomfortable. Until, Tubbo stood.

"To us being home, no matter how far we go." Everyone followed, standing and agreeing.

Home was never a place, it was a people. It took Tommy almost seventeen years to figure that out,  but he was glad he did.

Home is a people.

-

That is something I've struggled with recently. Home could be a place, but I don't think it is.

We are going to leave eachother soon. I'm trying my hardest to comprehend that.

I don't want to go. I don't want to leave. Not yet.

How can I be home, if I have to say goodbye and leave it? How can I just go to another reality, knowing I've left everything behind?

What if I refuse to? What if I tell the universe no, I've done my job enough. I have, I know I have. Why should I be forced to continue it?

Decisions, decisions.

Until next time.

Oh, Oliver is well. He sheds hair everywhere, but I don't mind it. He likes to lay on me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

567 34 18
I was meant to write a story for English, so here it is! It is a Dream SMP story! Tommy meets many new friends who all have secrets. Some are Villain...
2.6K 31 16
โ•ญโ”ˆโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ เณ„เพ€เฟ หŠหŽ- โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค โ MULTIPLE ONESHOTS INCLUDING HEADCANONS FOR THE DREAM SMP. I HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!โž หš เผ˜โ™ก โ‹†๏ฝกหš ๊•ฅ โ†ณหณโธ™;; โ I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING IN TH...
119K 4.5K 33
Warnings: DISCONTINUED I'M SORRY Major character death Angst (now has unexpected crack) probably very slow updates you will get the big sad hopefully...
156K 6.4K 42
Cover Art by forgotteneucalyptustree on Instagram! Goddess!Reader X God!Technoblade Technoblade didn't believe in the word love nor was he interested...