My Boyfriend's Girlfriend

بواسطة _veronicaluna

WATTYS 2022 AWARD WINNER ☾ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩ • ☽ "You had an idea?" She laughed lightly when I reminded her... المزيد

THE WATTYS 2022
THE WATTYS 2022 RESULTS
preface
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
update
twenty three
epilogue: danny
epilogue: tessa
epilogue: abby
things are different here

twelve

15K 677 204
بواسطة _veronicaluna

"So, she kissed you?"

"At this point, I don't know if it even happened or not."

I watched Rhys's eyes widen in shock as I caught him up to speed. Albeit, omitting the part about the weekend-long boner being our doing, of course.

"So, let me get this straight." He paused to chuckle, which earned an eye roll from me. "You guys are essentially plotting revenge based off a teen movie, and somehow Tessa got you high," I held up a finger to interrupt, but he continued. "And then kissed you."

I groaned and rolled my eyes so hard, I shook my head. "Yes, Rhys. Tessa kissed me. Right now, I'm wishing it was just a fever dream or something."

"And you're telling me this because I'm your token queer friend." Rhys studied my face. I let out a stressed sigh and sat down on the bleachers.

It was currently half past five, and we were out on the football field alone. After hearing Danny gloat with one of the other guys about someone other than me, I had texted him to tell him I couldn't do dinner, and I'd see him tomorrow. I never got a text back, which was odd, but had ran into Rhys on my race out of the locker rooms. Or, more like bumped into him and broke down crying when he asked what was wrong. Which, was how I found myself with a tear-soaked face on a Thursday afternoon.

"Are we even friends, Rhys? I don't think I know the first thing about you."

Truthfully, we'd never been close. The only time I'd ever had a one on one conversation with him was right after he'd ended things with his ex. He had shown up at lunch for the first time that week, and we'd had about sixty seconds to ourselves, while the rest of the people who inhabited our table were getting their lunches, including Danny getting mine for me.

I watched Rhys closely as he sat down next to me. His eyes scanned the field in front of us for a moment, until his gaze dropped to his squeaky-clean Nikes. What it was about boys and their shoes, I'd never know. I watched as he kicked at a lone leaf that had found its way onto the bleachers. "I don't know, I kind of thought we were friends."

"I mean...you're my cheating boyfriend's best friend." I said with a low laugh.

"I'm not so sure about that anymore." He said, and it sounded like there was pain behind his words. "Can I be honest with you?" Rhys looked at me, and I could see the vulnerability in his eyes. I'd opened up to him, did he think he had to return the favor?

"Of course."

He took a deep breath before speaking. "Danny and I haven't been as close for the last few years. He is one of the least accepting people I've ever known." He said, turning away from me to look back at his shoes. His fingers toyed with the hem of his athletic shorts. "He was the very last person I ever came out to." Rhys admitted. I didn't know what to say, or if there was even room for me to say anything, so I let him continue.

"I knew I liked guys a long time ago. It was normal for me, almost as soon as I noticed girls, I also noticed my attraction to guys. I didn't really have a crush on anyone, contrary to popular belief, but I just knew. And the only reason I waited so long to explore my options was because of Danny." He paused for a moment, taking a breath.

"I met Steve freshman year, right before I ended things with Stacy. I waited six months to make a public move, after Danny didn't talk to me for weeks. He only accepted me because he realized I could still kick his ass any day." He choked back the last bit about Danny shutting him out. When he didn't say anything more, I slid my arm under his, intertwining them. I squeezed his hand lightly to comfort him. "When Steve and I told people, Danny got weird again. It hasn't been the same since."

"I'm so sorry, Rhys. I never knew that." I said, and my jaw dropped as I thought about what he said, and the realization hit me. "Oh my god, was Danny the reason you guys broke up?"

Rhys chuckled uncomfortably, and pulled his arm from mine. He shook his head, "He may be homophobic, but he isn't the devil." He admitted softly. "It just wasn't working between us anymore. With Stevie at college, we didn't have the time for each other. Which sucks, but it's life." He said simply, which eased my worry. "I've forgiven Danny, even though we aren't nearly as close as we used to be."

"That's just so crazy." The wind picked up, and I pulled my jacket tighter together to keep the chill from my thin sweater.

"I guess that's why I felt so obligated to introduce you and Tessa." My eyes fell to my shoes then, at the mention of her name. I hadn't blushed the whole time I'd told Rhys about what happened, and I didn't need to start now. I stood up abruptly and pulled my keys out of my jacket pocket.

"I should probably head home, my mom is going to throw a fit if I'm any bit later." I said, and Rhys stood up beside me. He was a good foot taller than I was, which was always intimidating. It was nice to talk to him without Danny present, he wasn't anything like I'd imagined he would be. "I have one question, though."

"I might have an answer." He said, with his back to me as he grabbed his backpack.

"I heard Danny talking about something earlier, about how good someone was in bed." I started, and bit my lip, contemplating how to ask my question.

Rhys slung his bag over his shoulder and turned around to face me. "And it wasn't you." He assumed. I nodded my head.

"It wasn't me. I just...have you talked to Tessa? Do you know if it was her, or if there's someone else?"

"Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that one. You'll have to talk to her, Abs." He said, and put a hand on my shoulder. He gave me a supportive smile. "But, something tells me it isn't her."

"Okay, yeah. I'll talk to her."

*

I'm here, where are you?

I put my phone in my back pocket after sending a text to Tessa. I parked my car and turned off the engine. My eyes scanned Barton Valley's parking lot, hoping I wouldn't see any BMHS student, or any Valley cheerleader.

I'd driven here directly after class so I could meet up with Tessa, before I had to go back to my school for the bus call at five. We always rode together, even if it was just to Valley, for the team bonding experience. Our coaches loved any excuse to keep an eye on us before and after games.

Not seeing anyone around, I got out of my car and decided to head toward the school. I wasn't sure where Tessa had wanted to meet, as she'd been so elusive when texting. If I was completely honest, she was one of the last people I had any desire to see. I was still trying to piece together whatever the hell had happened Sunday, while still trying to put on a brave face.

"What do you think?" My eyes fluttered over to the side of the grassy curb, where Tessa was standing, dressed head to toe in royal blue and white. Barton Memorial's colors. She had a glittery blue #7 on her cheek, for Danny.

"What are you wearing?" I laughed. She beamed brightly, and her smile was truly infectious.

"Oh, this old thing? Just something to get Danny excited to see me." She grinned wickedly, and walked towards me.

"You're going to a football game." I said, raising my brow as I looked her up and down. She looked completely out of place, but still effortlessly hot. It was totally unfair how someone could look good in the worst team colors imaginable. Royal blue had to be my least favorite color, but on her, it worked.

"Of course I'm going to a football game." Tessa stopped right in front of me. I took a small step back, not wanting to get too close to her.

"I'm not going to kiss you, if that's what you're so worried about." My cheeks went red, and my eyes widened in surprise. I looked around to make sure no one was watching us, or could hear our conversation.

"I wasn't thinking about that." I said shyly.

"Don't worry, it was a one-time thing. I'm not into you or anything." Tessa said nonchalantly, and shrugged her shoulders. "Anyway, is the number too much?" I watched her as she pointed to her cheek, already onto the next subject. I let out the breath I'd been holding in, seeing as how it wasn't such a big deal to her. It comforted me, knowing that it wasn't the main focus of our conversation, but it also stressed me out that I'd obviously been more worried about it than she had. Did she kiss other girls often? Was it a regular thing for her, or did she just get carried away? I tried to clear my mind as she talked.

"I don't think it's too much." I said quietly, and she gave me a funny look.

"You're thinking about it." She said knowingly. I shook my head, trying to play it cool. "I was caught up in the moment, it didn't mean anything. I promise, it will never happen again." She stuck her pinky out towards me. I studied her face as she waited for me to pinky swear. I nodded my head softly and linked our fingers.

"Okay, as long as you swear." I said, and released her grip.

"I solemnly swear that I will never kiss you again." She giggled at her own Harry Potter reference, and kicked at the gravel under her feet. "Let's get back to business, shall we?" She took my hand and pulled me toward the grass where she'd been standing. Her stuff was laying in the grass, in an unorganized pile.

"I want to catch Danny completely off guard tonight. I want it to look like you see me cheering for him, and get pissed." Tessa rummaged through her bag, and pulled out her phone. "Text me where the student section is, and I'll be there by the start of the game."

"It's called kick-off." I giggled at her choice of words, and she threw up her hands in defense.

"I never claimed to know anything about football." She laughed. "Basketball is my favorite."

It felt normal to be back in action with Tessa, I hated not having someone in my corner. Someone who understood what I was feeling, and why.

"I have to ask you something." I blurted out.

"Okay?" She looked at my quizzically, and I folded my arms across my chest as the autumn breeze picked up.

"I heard Danny talking about someone yesterday, someone he slept with." I started. "He said they were better in bed than I was. Have you...you know, have you slept with him recently?" I barely managed to get the question out.

"No." She schooled her head softly. "I promise you, I haven't slept with him in weeks. And, to be completely honest with you, I've only slept with him once."

I let out a relieved sigh, and tucked a strand of my long bangs behind my ear. "Really?"

Tessa sighed, and I watched her as she played with the ends of one of her braids. "Yeah, really. He was my first." She admitted.

Tears pricked the corners of my eyes, and threatened to find their way down my cheeks. Without a word, I wrapped my arms around her. I knew we looked like a motley crew, me in my maroon sweats and t-shirt, and her in the team colors, but I needed this.

"I'm sorry." I said into her hair. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay." She said, and pulled back from me. "I've forgiven myself for letting him lie to me." She smoothed her braid down, making sure I hadn't messed up any free-falling curls. "And now, we're getting even."

I swiped at my under eyes, and took a shaky breath to settle myself. I shook out my arms, and nodded briskly.

"Yeah, we're getting even."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.6M 29.3K 24
[Completed] Taylor Daniels. Average name, average face, average girl. What about her life? Well, that's a bit complicated. Finding out her werewolf...
768K 17.8K 47
Mia is a sassy girl and a werewolf with an honest heart and, she lives with her father and her older brother, her father is the beta of her pack, Sil...
65.6K 2.2K 50
♕~Let me be the big bad wolf to fulfil all your naughty little desires~♕ Stripped And Tainted The Human...
3.3M 84K 29
"Oh fuck no, this can't happen, why me?" he says with a mixture of anger and frustration in his face. "What's your full name?" he asks me while looki...