Crowns of Flame and Ice - Boo...

By AdventureAwaitsHere

Two Fae enemies, the prince and princess from rival territories, put their hatred for one another to one side... More

Author's Note
Playlist
Crowns of Flame and Ice
A Map of Crevah
(1) A Castle of Spite and Hate
(2) Hidden Vulnerabilities
(3) A Battle of Strength
(4) What Could've Been
(5) A Design to Remember
(6) The Dangerous Stranger
(8) Whispering Skin 🔥
(9) Lil Red
(10) An Awakening
(11) A Sword of Fury
(12) The Ghost of You
(13) A Light in the Dark
(14) The Ball
(15) The Cold Hearted
(16) An Ember of Light
(17) The Plan
(18) The Beginning of the End
(19) Death to the End
(20) Miss Eliana Stovbeck 🔥
(21) A Dragon Cut Emerald
(22) What Happens in the Shadows
(23) A Truth Uncovered
(24) Champagne Truffles
(25) Chin Up Buttercup
(26) The Beauty and the Beast
(27) Equally Beautiful and Vicious
(28) The Last Act
(29) Two Birds, One Stone
(30) A Risky Game 🔥
(31) The Only Time Anala Didn't Trust a Book
(32) The Flame in the Rain
(33) What Goes Around Comes Around
(34) All That You Could Be
(35) The Red Truth Hidden Beneath Blue Lies
(36) Oh How the Tables Turn
(37) The Leaf of Vengeance
(38) I Found You
(39) Liar 🔥
(40) Live a Little 🔥
(41) Under Love's Heavy Burden Do I Sink
(42) A Burning Passion
(43) Stars and Magic 🔥
(44) Over the Edge 🔥
(45) The World Burns to Ash
(46) Kings Are Like Stars
(47) Let it Burn
(48) What We Were to Face
Acknowledgements

(7) Petty Pottery

184 16 31
By AdventureAwaitsHere

Grey stone walls and darkness surrounded me so strong and unyielding that I couldn't see too far in front of me. This was not the soft grey and cream of my bedroom, there were no pretty houseplants or bookshelves. Panic hit me as I realised that there was nothing but the walls of whatever place I was in, was this a place? It felt distant... like it wasn't actually here. When I began panting and tried to sit up to cool my breathing I abruptly holt from the force of the chains around my arms and legs stopping me from moving. When I couldn't feel the metal biting into my skin I knew it was a dream. I still felt panic rattling my senses. The darkness lifted slightly just as I heard a familiar dark laugh and saw four familiar faces grinning and smirking at me. "You're trapped forever Anala" my family sneered with their voices both one and many. "We let the darkness take over Crevah and now we're going to let it take you" They added taking a few steps forward. There was nothing to escape to, I was trapped inside a place that didn't even exist. I scream which causes my family to start laughing hysterically and begin to walk away, towards whatever pain they'd caused to the land and there was no way I could help their people.

Gasping I throw myself awake trying to re-order my thoughts and decipher what is real. Plants, bookshelves and most importantly my ring. There was no one here to hurt me, there was no one close enough to me or my heart. the silver was cool as I slipped it onto my pale finger. My breaths had slowed enough to allow me to focus, with shaking hands I reach over to a neatly folded piece of paper that had been placed on my bedside table. I smile more than I care to admit when I see James's bouncy handwriting that read 'Fancy joining Rosie and me in the studio this morning? I believe you have a story to tell - J'. So Rosie had told him then, that little snitch. Chuckling softly I roll out of bed, bathe and dress in a simple pair of loose trousers and a tight top.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The hallways were a flurry of gossiping girls in cream, pale blue and grey dresses which made me want to strangle some sense into every one of these idiotic girls I walked past. Various conversations from girls with dreamy expressions regarding Quilo's presence had me rolling my eyes and quickening my steps. "I heard he has a secret tattoo, although I don't think anyone's ever seen it" a blonde-haired girl giggled with pink cheeks, I snort at the idea of Quilo ruining his perfect reputation to his father. "Have you seen Quilo's muscles through his shirt?" another murmurs to her friends who are all practically drooling. Hurrying down the hall I pray to whatever Gods are still lurking around that perhaps a pair of earmuffs would magically from the sky when I run directly into two miserable piles of pale blue cotton and lace. Clearly, the gods were not on my side at all today. "What's that look on your face Anala? Happy, angry, half-dead or sad? I can't tell" Vivian says with a smirk. Not in the mood for her general existence today I look my sister up and down and with an innocent smile I knew would make her see red and sneer "is there a costume party I'm unaware of today?".

Her smirk drops to a hideous frown and she demands "what?" taking a step forward. "There's a rumour that Quilo likes it when girls match him" Grace sighs dreamily looking down at her dress. "So we wanted to get his attention by doing just that" Vivian adds with a grin. I laugh, even though they're older than me they seriously like acting like children. "You and half the castle" I reply. Vivian looks poised to spit on me as she glances around, eyes widening when she notices that all the girls were indeed wearing similar gowns to them. "What would you know? I am a princess not just some commoner" Grace grumbles snapping out of her dazed expression.              "Of course! you're totally right! although you two are both princesses, which one of you gets to take his heart?" I ask with a knowing smile.                                                                                                            "Me!" they both shout in unison and I laugh at the sound of their bickering as I walk away.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

James was sat on his little stool in front of a table full of clay pots, bowls, mugs and a variety of different coloured paints with a scowl on his face. As he heard the door click closed he smiled at me and I noticed Rosie was sitting in the corner with her eyes full of laughter. "am I interrupting?" I ask, slumping own onto the worn, dark green sofa next to Rosie and flinging my long legs over hers. Rosie opened her mouth but James quickly shut her up with "err... nothing. I was just about to start paining these". He picks up a tiny little paintbrush in one hand and a pot of water in the other to start cleaning the brush. Realising he was about to paint a beautiful little mug with climbing roses snaking its way up one side as a handle that I'm guessing Rosie helped create I murmur "let me help you". I rise from my position on the sofa and stand behind him before James stumbles "no..no it's okay" and starts trying to wash the tiny paintbrush as it slips between his fingers when he can't grasp it. I roll my eyes at his pride and clasp the hands holding the water and brush in my own, he jumps at the contact which sends water all over his shirt completely soaking it. was my friend uncomfortable around me as a princess? Rosie burst out into fits of laughter and it was only when James nervously swore under his breath before clasping a hand over his mouth that I burst into laughter with her. James glared at us from where we were now rolling around on the sofa and tugged off the now absolutely drenched grey shirt. his glare turned into a smirk when we immediately stopped laughing and noticed my attention on his muscled chest.

James asked a question that I didn't hear as I took in that chest that was still glinting with residue from the water that had seeped in through the shirt, I bit my lip. Rosie jabbed me in the side with her elbow, smirked at me and pointed to James who was holding a small pot in his hand. "What?" I ask, my gaze returning back to his chest.                                                                                 "I asked what you wanted to paint on this pot" James replied and I didn't need to look up to know he was grinning. Gods... what training did he do to look like that? "err...abs" I respond and immediately feel my cheeks redden when the words come out before I can stop them. I give him a cheeky apologetic grin and we all burst into a chorus of laughter once more.

Once my own abs were screaming at me from laughing too much and I felt like I could hardly breathe I watch Rosie walk over to the table in front of James and pick up a plain pot. "I made that one for Anala to paint" James murmurs reaching out to take it from her hand. Rosie snatches it back out of his grasp and taunts through pants "come get it". I roll my eyes, this was definitely not going to end well. James launches himself at Rosie which knocks her to the ground and they start rolling around on the floor trying to get the pot. If James was actually trying he would've easily beaten her in a matter of seconds. After a while, Rosie gives up and lets him take the pot only to start ferociously tickling him. it was hilarious to watch the huge giant in fits of literal giggles as Rosie tickled his arms and ribs. I couldn't stop laughing again and I was genuinely worried that my stomach would burst with the amount I was laughing.

It was then that I noticed a group of girls outside who were all giggling and fanning themselves with nervous glances over toward something. My laughter stops when I see a cold faced Quilo standing next to his stone-faced father. Quilo was carrying a small white round box with black stripes up the sides and a black ribbon, unusual for a prince like him to carry his own belongings. I could open this window which gave me the perfect vantage point and then using the dagger on my thigh I could... "don't even think about it" James grumbles as he noticed my hand on the hilt of my dagger. I glare at him before murmuring "I wasn't going to..." but he cuts me off with a knowing smile and raised brows. "If you're going to kill the prince Anala at least don't do it in front of us" Rosie chirps from her seat next to me.                                                              "Well I can't do it at all now you've said that, you'd know it was me" I grumble twisting back to sit on the sofa properly.

James chuckles and I ask the room "do you know how long he's going to be here?". Silence. Rolling my eyes I continue "well you'd at least better have made sure he's staying in his usual room". that room was in a completely different hall to mine, a deliberate attempt to prevent him from bumping into me. "yes" James replies and glances over at Rosie who has her eyebrows raised at him. I grin at James but when they start having a silent conversation through glances I realise I'm missing something. James clicks his tongue before adding "and I had the snakes removed from under the bed that I'm guessing you had no part in putting there". My grin falters, it had taken me ages to put those snakes there and I hadn't exactly had much time to prepare. It wasn't easy to sneak 25 large snakes into a heavily guarded castle unnoticed. "they weren't poisonous!" I promised raising my hands in defeat. "in that case, I'm guessing you weren't aware that the mice they had been eating had eaten most of the mattress before the snakes got to them" James sighs. I grin, hoping that at least that had worked. "so we had to have everything in the room replaced because we didn't know what else had been tampered with".                          "Spoilsport" I reply crossing my arms sulkily. James frowns at me and then straightens.                    "Although I did forget to mention to the cleaning staff about the red food dye in the shampoo" James adds with a small smile. "How did you even think to look there?" I ask noting the way his eyes were twinkling with humour. "You did the same thing last year Anala, remember when he had to walk around with red hair for two days because it wouldn't wash out after he'd realised too late?" James asked. I smile at the memory, I'd snuck through one of the secret tunnels which I knew led to his room after he'd been calling me that godforsaken nickname I hated every time I saw him, he was hilariously angry afterwards.

"I can't train you tomorrow unfortunately but don't worry I've arranged one of the best for you" James sighs changing the subject with a look I could've sworn was disappointment on his face. "Last time you said that I had him knocked on his ass in less than a minute" I chuckle and when James glares at me with a growl I give him an apologetic wince. It wasn't unusual for me to have someone other than James to train me, I had a new opponent at least once a week. The only problem was that most of them arrived with the intention of teaching a spoiled little princess a few tricks with a dagger only to find a girl with the capability of taking down the most skilled warriors wielding a sword instead.

Once we were all settled in our usual seats again and we were well on our way to finishing our painting Rosie cleared her throat and glanced over at me with raised eyebrows. "yes?" I ask watching the way she kept on glancing at James and then back at me as if that was supposed to help me understand. when I just stared blankly at her she gave a dramatic sigh and rolled her eyes before she ventured "for Vauxhavens sake Anala! what happened yesterday?" James's eyes shot to mine and just like Rosie, he set down his pot - waiting. I was really hoping to avoid that question. "how's the new chef keeping up?" I ask, really not wanting to lie to them about the reality of what happened. "don't try to change the subject Anala" Rosie quips, her lips tugging upwards in the corners. I glance back over to James who had his arms crossed over his chest with a hard expression on his face. "fine" I reply with an eye roll and a sigh.

so I told them, I told them of the dance and the stranger, the light and the music. I told them what he was like, leaving out a few details that they didn't need to know. "perhaps he's your soulmate!" Rosie chirps and I snort and roll my eyes. James glares at Rosie and then at me before asking "what were you thinking! he literally could've been a murderer, what if he recognised you?"                                                                                                                                                                 "He didn't" I reply sternly.                                                                                                                                                   "But what if..."                                                                                                                                                                         "He didn't James" I repeat. James gives me an assessing look and then loses a long breath as if trying to decide between our friendship and his job as captain of the guard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

785 34 23
//He had my hands pinned tightly above my head as I squirmed beneath him. The blade twisting between his fingers. He held it up to my throat. I was a...
188 16 25
They say love and pain go hand in hand. Love makes you whole, but the pain that comes from it either destroys you or makes you a monster...
3.2K 1.2K 47
16 + For mature themes such as war, gore, violence, triggering content such as mental health issues, brief mention of rape/sexual assault, curse word...
182K 11.4K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...