easy for you to say « f.weasl...

By moonstonecult

❝ a darkness that holds me, and loves when I bleed, it locks all the doors and then hides all the keys... More

EASY FOR YOU TO SAY
00.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.

26.

8.3K 329 50
By moonstonecult

•♡•♡•

FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE a bad spell on the stairs back in first year, Rebecca had found herself waking up in the Hospital Wing. Her head felt cramped, brain pounding within her skull and creating a dull ache that was the first thing she felt since collapsing.

"Her head must be hurting real bad, landing on the wooden steps like that."

"Yeah, at least Harry had landed in some mud and grass."

The voices were whispering, but each of them felt like ear-piercing screeches into her nonetheless. It had made her wince, or at least, subconsciously. It also made her head spin more, confusion riddling her bones for a split second. Because for as long she could remember, Rebecca never really felt any sort of pain. Unless she had let herself lose focus and actually think about it – or if it was the semi-usual meeting with Alecto Carrow in her study. Though, as she laid on the bed within the ward, she couldn't bring herself to focus elsewhere. All she knew, was her body was completely drained of energy, her neck and head were aching, and her hands were freezing cold despite being tucked under a blanket. 

"She had went to get my stupid hat — I shouldn't have let her go."

A sudden flash of coldness creeped down Rebecca's spine, making her flinch and her eyes snap open. Only to wince at the sheer amount of light burning her unready irises. The cream-colored ceiling of the ward stared back at her, daunting and blank. Almost the entirety of the Gryffindor quidditch team surrounded her bed, alongside Hermione and Ron – all of them standing between her and Harry's hospital beds, splattered with mud and drenched in rain-soaked jerseys. Adrienne was also there as well, looking far more panicked than most as she sat at her friend's right side in a plastic chair.

"Hey," She breathed deeply, eyes significantly watery – in a surprising turn of events, "How're you feeling?"

"What happened?" Rebecca croaked out hoarsely, grimacing at the sound of her voice and the feeling of  the temporary burning of her dry throat.

"You and Harry got attacked by dementors," Hermione answered meekly, looking between both bedridden, dark-haired students, "both of you collapsed – nearly one after the other."

"Harry fell farther though," Ron stated slowly, a factual tone to his voice, "must've been like – say – fifty feet?"

"It's not a competition, Ronald," Fred interjected, face twisted up slightly.

"But the match," Harry quickly asked, moving to sit up in a haste despite the sudden looks of horror on Angelina and Alicia's faces, "What happened? Are we doing a replay?" There was silence, and he immediately frowned, looking between them all, "we didn't – lose?"

"Diggory got the snitch," George supplied lowly, seeing the boy's face morph into sorrow, "just after you fell. When he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off – said he wanted a rematch."

"But they won fair and square," He added with a slight shrug, "Wood admits it too."

"Where is Wood?" Harry uttered after taking another quick glance around.

"Still in the showers," Fred answered meekly, "we think he's trying to drown himself."

Harry let out a groan, pulling his knees to his face and his hands moving to tug at his unruly hair.

The older twin frowned slightly, gripping the third year's shoulder and giving it a fairly rough shake, "C'mon, Harry, you've never missed a snitch before."

"There had to be one time you didn't get it," George nodded along, flashing a sympathetic smile.

"It's not over yet," Fred insisted, smiling down at the boy, "we lost by a hundred points, right? So if Hufflepuff loses to Ravenclaw and we best Ravenclaw and Slytherin..."

"Hufflepuff'll have to lose by at least two hundred points," Alicia interjected, shaking her head.

"But if they beat Ravenclaw—"

"Ravenclaw is too good," Angelina chimed in this time, sneaking a peak towards one of their own who still looked real out of it and dazed in her hospital bed, "they've got both Chang and Davies."

"But if Slytherin loses to Hufflepuff..."

"It all depends on the points," Adrienne spoke up, abruptly standing from her seat to move over towards her dorm mates – suddenly very interested in quidditch than ever before, any trace of tearful eyes seemingly gone in a flash, "a margin of a hundred either way..."

Upon noticing the now-emptied seat, Fred broke off from his team slowly, dropping himself down into the chair gently. Rebecca glanced his way, clocking his movement, and mustering up a tired smile as she finally was able to focus all her pain away to the back of her mind – finally able to ease her once-tensed body against the too-firm mattress.

"You doing alright?" He questioned, his eyes glancing back to the team briefly, as if he were scared to be caught away from them.

"Confused, dazed, a bit hungry,," She nodded slowly, reaching up to rub at her eyes roughly, "but fine, thanks."

Not even but a few moments later, Madam Pomfrey came bustling over to the large chattering group. She ushered the dirtied team away at once, looking at them in disapproval as she pointed to the door and gave word to let both Rebecca and Harry rest. Hermione and Ron still stayed at their friend's side though, the rest of the Gryffindors filing out.

"We'll come see you a bit later, yeah?" George told the Ravenclaw, having watched Adrienne follow after his teammates without so much of a glance back.

"Sounds nice," She murmured, eyes drooping slightly as she peered up at him with a small nod.

"Don't beat yourself up, Harry, you're still the best Seeker we've ever had," Fred insisted as he rose from his seat, flashing the third year a reassuring smile before turning back to Rebecca, "and you – get better," He grinned, making her slightly uneasy, "we have something planned and you've got to be at peak health to get away with it."

"That sounds suspicious," Rebecca said slowly, digging her fingers under the askew hat she wore to massage at her temple lightly, "but seeing as I'm too tired to protest at the moment – sure."

"Great, see you then."

*

Madam Pomfrey had insisted on keeping both students for the rest of the weekend, wishing to keep them even longer before they began protesting that they were fine. Harry had a constant stream of visitors while stuck in the ward – Hagrid having sent him a large bunch of earwiggy flowers that looked like yellow cabbages – and even Ginny had brought him a 'Get Well' card. It had made the elder girl want to coo teasingly, but she quickly decided against it, sticking her nose in a book and simply watching from above the pages. The Gryffindor team visited again on that Sunday morning, this time Oliver had accompanied them. He had told Harry, in the most monotone and hallow voice, that he didn't blame him at all – which seemed a bit forced to the Ravenclaw, but it still needed to be said.

The twins would stay at Rebecca bedside as well for a while each time they visited Harry, each of them taking turns cracking jokes to gain an amused smile or stifled laugh. Cedric had visited her as well once he heard what had happened from Lee. The Hufflepuff had completely booked it into the Hospital Wing, panting and looking around in panic before he released a breath at the sight of her catching up on missed work. He even apologized to Harry about the whole quidditch ordeal, claiming he'd happily give a rematch.

When night fell, and the ward grew quiet alongside the rest of the castle – that's when Rebecca's mind would begin to wander. Wander right to the dementors, which immediately made her feel sick. While knowing that everybody had gotten affected by the floating demons in one way or another, it was utterly humiliating to know that no one else – save for Harry – would react the way she did and completely just pass out. It was also the fact that no one else got attacked because they were supposedly the splitting image of a wanted criminal; and no one heard screaming, crying, and pleading in their heads at the sight of the cloaked figures.

When Monday morning had finally broke, and with the begrudged dismissal of Madam Pomfrey – once Rebecca managed out of the ward to get ready for her return to classes, she was met by Cedric Diggory outside the double doors of the Hospital Wing.

"Thought I should walk with you," He murmured slowly, flashing a sheepish smile, "I've been so caught up in quidditch, I've rarely seen you these past few days; it's the least I can do."

"It's alright," She assured him softly, gently linking her arm through his offered one as they walked towards the Ravenclaw tower, "you're the captain now, you've obviously still have classes to attend – plus, you and Cho."

"I think it's going really good," Cedric's smile grew slightly, pale cheeks tinting pink.

"I'm glad," Rebecca stated honestly, bumping their shoulders, "you both deserve it."

"I'm thinking of inviting her to Christmas dinner," He informed her quietly, trying to smother yet a wider smile, "once I get the okay from Mum."

"Awe!" She exclaimed into her palm before playfully forcing a small pout, "no fair, she's gonna have your dad's famous caramel brownies."

"Then you come over too," He insisted with another small nudge of their shoulders, "or I'll kidnap you from your house – you don't even have to tell your mum."

There was a slight blow to her stomach at his words, making her falter in her steps absentmindedly. Grimacing to herself, she didn't realize her steps had stopped until Cedric was forced back by the sudden pause and the hold on his arm. Rebecca looked up slowly, meeting his eyes with great hesitation.

"What is it?" Cedric asked slowly, a look of panic crossing his features, "I'm literally scared to ask – but what have you done?"

"I need to tell you something," She stated quietly, releasing the hold on his arm to tug nervously at her fingertips, "I – well – okay, I don't even k-know how to tell you because a part of me still really doesn't believe it."

"What is it?" He repeated in a comforting voice, reaching out slowly to grasp her hand in both of his, "you don't have to say it if you don't want to."

"Ced, I –" She paused, grimacing again, "my mother, the one you know of – she's not actually my mum," Rebecca let out a breath, her head beginning to spin as she peered around in anxiety, "Roan isn't my brother, and I'm not even a Carrow."

"I-I'm sorry — what?" Cedric stated incredulously, eyes wide.

"It was when Dumbledore called me into his office, it was this whole thing," She rushed out quietly, "The Ministry had notified them that – well, – okay, Sirius Black could very well be my dad–"

"Woah woah woah – wait, one moment," He interjected, gently grasping her bicep, much to her displeasure, to lead her towards an alcove, "Sirius Black? As in, escaped-from-Azkaban, murdered-13-people, Sirius Black?"

"Do you happen to know of another Sirius Black?"

"And your mum, or rather – Roan's mum – what's the deal with that?"

"I have no clue," Rebecca rubbed the back of her arm, frowning as she bit the inside of her cheek, "Dumbledore only gave me her name, and that she was a halfblooded witch the same year as my father in school – and when I confronted Roan, he said the same, and that she had left me purposely."

"And this all checks out?" He questioned, "Have you thought of the years? I mean, Black was in prison for 12 years – and I know you're 15 but–"

"There's too many blanks," She shook her head, "only way I'd be able to get the most accurate information is to either try and find Sirius or try and find Artemis."

"Don't you dare go thinking you'll be approaching a mass-murderer," Cedric stated firmly, always the voice of reason, "I don't care should he actually be your father – you don't know what that man is like."

"Oh yes, Ced, because I was so planning on waltzing up to the escaped convict and questioning if he's my dad or not," She blurted out incredulously.

"You know, sass and sarcasm aren't appreciated," He pouted lightly.

"You love it regardless."

"Unfortunately."

*

It had only been halfway through the day when Rebecca was on her way to Professor Lupin's classroom with a question on the Tongue-Tying Curse they were learning when she paused in the doorway of the room. Third years were filing out, chattering along and separating towards their next classes. She stepped in awkwardly, seemly having caught Harry and Lupin in the midst of another one of their talks before the man's eyes flickered to her hesitant figure in the doorway.

"Did you hear of the dementors as well?" Harry questioned the man lowly, a small scowl gracing his young face.

Lupin broke his odd stare from the Ravenclaw, looking to the boy quickly, "Yes, I did," he stated simply, "I don't think any of us had seen Professor Dumbledore that angry."

"They have been growing restless for some time....furious at his refusal to be allowed on the grounds," Lupin informed them, his eyes flickering back to Rebecca briefly before busying himself with tucking books back into his briefcase, "I suppose that's the reason you fell...and why Rebecca collapsed?"

"Yes," Harry stated shortly, hesitating for a split moment before a quick breath escaped his lips, "Why? Why do they affect me like that? Am I just —?" 

"It has nothing to do with weakness," He interjected sharply, as if he had known exactly what Harry was thinking, "the dementors affect you both worse than others because there are horrors in both your pasts that the others don't have."

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this Earth," Lupin continued firmly, now making complete eye contact between both students, "They infest in the darkest, filthiest places; they glory in decay and despair. They drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them–"

"–even muggles feel their presence, though they can't see them. Get too close to a dementor, and every good feeling; every happy memory you have will be sucked out of you," His voice was grave, but each word help such purpose and firmness that they had no choice but to take it in, "If it can, the dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself....just as soulless and evil."

"And the worst that's happened to you, Harry, is enough to have anyone falling off their broomsticks," Lupin murmured gently, "that's nothing to be ashamed of."

"When they near me–" Harry began hoarsely, throat tight and gaze fixed on Lupin's desk as his eyes watered, "I can hear Voldemort murdering my mother."

Rebecca felt her stomach jolt at the boy's words, her eyes screwing shut tightly in protest of the mere thought. Lupin made a sudden move, as if he had wanted to wrap Harry up in a hug, or possibly shield him from an invisible danger. He fought against it, though, sticking his hands to his sides and then there was a moment of silence. Harry immediately took in a breath, nearly shuddering at the memory before he went rigid once more.

"Why'd they have to come to the match?" He burst out bitterly, scowling down at the desk again.

"They're getting hungry," Lupin stated grimly, shutting his briefcase with a small snap, "Dumbledore won't let them into the school, so their supply of human prey has dried up."

"I don't think they could resist the large crowd around the quidditch field, all the excitement – emotions running high...it was their idea of a feast."

"Azkaban must be terrible," Harry commented meekly, making Rebecca's organs give another sickening twist.

"The fortress is set on a tiny island, way out to sea," Lupin muttered lowly, grimacing, "but they don't need walls and water to keep the prisoners in – not when they're all trapped inside their own heads."

"Incapable of a single, cheerful thought, most of them go mad within weeks."

"But Sirius Black escaped them..." Harry said slowly, "he got away..."

Professor Lupin's briefcase slipped from his grasp, just barely grazing the desk before he stooped low to grasp it quickly just as it almost made contact with the ground. There was a certain look to his face, though no one could link it to an exact feeling – it seemed more of a mixture of a variety. Too difficult to place.

"Yes," He uttered, straightening up and clutching onto the briefcase, "Black must've found a way to fight them. I wouldn't have believed it possible...."

"Dementors are supposed to drain a wizard of his powers if he's left with them too long, you see."

"You made that dementor on the train back off," Rebecca finally spoke up, still by the doorway; looking slightly frazzled and rather cold.

"There are — certain defenses one can use," Lupin stated slowly, nodding just as slow, "But there was only one dementor on the train. The more there are, the more difficult it becomes to resist."

"What defenses?" Harry questioned suddenly, sitting straighter, "can you teach me?" He glanced to the girl in the doorway, "Teach us?"

"I don't pretend to be an expert at fighting dementors, Harry, quite the opposite, really..."

"But if the dementors come to another Quidditch match," He stated hurriedly, "I just need to be able to fight them off. Steer them away enough to make a run for it, at least."

Remus glanced at Harry for a moment, hesitating as he watched the boy's face grow more and more determined. Rebecca had shifted her gaze away, suddenly very interested in the sight of an empty chair. She had read about dementors once, vaguely remembering of that could possibly be used to defend one's self. And almost immediately, a sense of doubt filled her – she didn't think she had a single happy memory that powerful.

"Well – alright," Professor Lupin caved in, nodding once with a small breath, "I'll try and help. But it'll have to wait until next term, I'm afraid —"

Harry went to protest as the same words caught Rebecca's attention. Her eyes immediately flickered to their professor, at the sight of his returning tired eyes and sluggish nature; it got her frowning and eyeing the calendar on the far side of the room.

"I have a lot to do before the holidays," He continued quietly, doing his best to stand straighter; purposely avoiding the Ravenclaw's curious eyes, "and I chose a very inconvenient time to fall ill."

Harry merely nodded, saying his thanks before leaving the classroom. Rebecca lingered for a moment as Lupin turned away towards his desk once more. She chewed her bottom lip, hesitating in opening her mouth to speak.

"I'll be alright," Remus spoke up, not needing to turn around to have sensed her presence in the doorway as he began tucking more things away, "nothing to worry over, dear. Get on to your next lesson."

•♡•♡•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 44.5K 98
❝my papa always told me that you can't trust anybody, no matter what.❞ ❝why would he say that?❞ ❝his own love betrayed their best friends and the fam...
225K 4.9K 70
𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐎 𝐓𝐎 𝐌𝐄? 𝐈 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐄𝐀𝐓, 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏, 𝐎𝐑 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓. 𝐌𝐘 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃...
49.6K 1K 53
Two redheads One love In good times and bad In health and sickness At least that's what they thought... a Fred Weasley love (and more) story 02/22...
248K 3.7K 15
title says it all, hope you enjoy x