Settle Down // Irwin

By irwin-hfk

For crying out loud, Settle down! You know I can't be found with you ~~~ book 1 of The 1975 series More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
Epilogue.
Music and Sequel

23

2.2K 45 13
By irwin-hfk

Jade was... confused.

She was confused about Ashton. She was confused about Calum. She was confused about Charlie. She was just really, really confused.

The thing with Ashton is she knows her feelings about him and she kind of knows his but he was drunk and doesn't remember. So therefore it might have not even been true. If it wasn't Jade was going to bang her head off a wall.

She still really likes him. She hate the fact she was making him remember what happened all by himself but she had to. She had to let him figure it out or it wouldn't feel real. It wouldn't feel like he really wanted to figure it out unless he did it all on his own. Just a stupid girl thing probably.

Then there was Calum. Jade was hoping that by the time Monday came her and Calum will have gotten over the stuff that happened on Saturday but it didn't seem like that.

This mining when Jade was at her locker she was waiting for Calum like she normally did, hoping to talk to him. But when he came over Jade didn't get the chance. He opened his locker, roughly took out books and threw some in, before slamming the locker door closed making everyone look, and then stomping away. It was childish but it had it's effect. Jade felt like shit because of it. She knew Calum was mad and she had no idea how to sort it. She didn't know what she could do.

And then of course there was Charlie. Even the thought if her made Jade groan and roll her eyes. She was just so frustrating. Charlie had to know about Calum's feelings, right? She had to know the way Calum feels about her. And if she doesn't then she is stupid. But if what Ashton said was true then she had sex with Luke the same night she slept with Calum. It had to be a mistake and Ashton and Michael didn't know it was Calum (thankfully) and Luke was just the innocent victim in all of this, for once in his life. But the way Michael pounced in Luke between classes today made it seem like something did happen. Luke also didn't try and deny it. He just screamed stuff back at Michael then rolled his eyes and walked away. It was something!

Jade took her usual seat at lunch and Calum didn't join her. She didn't even see him at all. He was definitely avoiding her. He can be such a bitch sometimes. He gets pissed over the littlest things. It's always Jade who is to blame.

Something that had been bugging Jade all day is that she hadn't seen Ashton once. Not during Michael and Luke's fight in the hallway, or going from class to class or even now, at lunch. He wasn't there. Jade could only think he would be in the library but she didn't dare go up in case Calum was there, plus she was supposed to be mad at Ashton right now and it would just look bad her going to seek him out after what she said in Saturday.

"Fuck off!" Someone yells and it echoes through the whole cafeteria.

Jade looks up from her lunch to see Michael and Luke squaring up to each other. Luke was smirking at a red faced Michael.

"Or?" Luke says loudly and proudly.

"I will kill you." Michael says at the same volume.

"Oh will you?" Luke scoffs. "I'm sure!" He rolls his eyes and laughs.

That's when Michael jumps on him.

He literally jumps. His feet leave the ground and he slams head first into Luke's stomach and pushes him onto his back.

The whole of the cafeteria is filled with gasps and chairs being pushed away from tables as students start running over to gawk at the fighting boys. Jade doesn't follow the others. She just sits still and watches the crowd swarm around Luke and Michael. She can hear Charlie yelling, no pleading at them to stop. Jade can't help but roll her eyes at this.

Campus security quickly runs in after a few minutes and the crowd breaks up letting Jade see what's going on. Michael has Luke pinned against the floor, his fist raised. Luke has his hand wrapped around Michael's throat, trying to push him off. Security lifts a licking and screaming Michael of Luke who is shouting numerous amounts of profanities and is also being restrained. They are dragged out and a crying Charlie is ushered out after them.

The whole of the cafeteria is buzzing about. Swapping what they saw, heard, theories as to what happened. Many of them have already sussed it was about Charlie, some are saying it wouldn't have escalated so quickly if Ashton was there. That's when Jade finds out that Ashton isn't actually in today. That he is off sick.

Jade has been at Ashton's school for four years and has never seen him take a day off. She isn't sure why, it's not like he used to actually care whether he was in or not. It surprised Jade that he was always in. So him being off did make her a little curious. It makes her want to see him after school. So she was going to. She would just make up an excuse to make it seem less weird.

~~~

After lunch the day got longer. Jade was stuck in math class with Charlie and Michael who both came in half an hour later than anyone else. No one spoke at their table. Charlie's usual extravagant and talkative nature was replaced by a smaller, shyer one. Michael just say and broke then sharpened his pencil over and over again. It was a little distracting to Jade and didn't help her get any work done.

Finally getting her things out her locker Jade remembered she was probably going to bump into Calum again but she didn't. She worked out that he didn't just have music so it shouldn't be anything bad. He is probably staying behind to get extra caught up on a class. That's probably all it is, Jade thinks hopefully.

She quickly dumps her stuff in her house before heading over to Ashton's. She just wants to check he is okay. There is nothing wrong with that. He might have remembered something. Maybe.

She rings the door bell and looks up at the sky before it is answered. She hears it being unlocked and the door opens slightly and Jade can only see Ashton's head, he peaks over then smiles.

"Jade?" He asks, like he was making sure she was actually there.

"Hi." Jade says awkwardly, trying to wave with her hand still in her hoodie pocket.

"Hey." Ashton says. "What's up?" He smiles showing his dimples.

"Uhm..." Jade hesitates. "I just want to tell you that if you think you might have missed anything from math today then you should write it down and I can go over it with you." Jade makes up on the spot, impressing even herself.

"Oh," Ashton's smile falters a little. "Okay, cool." he smiles again. "Is that all?"

"Uhm..." Jade is once again hesitant. "I was just... just wonder-wondering," she stutters, making an idiot of herself. "If you are okay? I know you were sick."

"Ah," Ashton smiles. "Yeah, I just... um..." Ashton pulls the door back a little. "Do you want to come in?" He asks politely and Jade is thankful.

"Yeah," she smiles. "Yeah." she repays and Ashton steps back from the door and opens it more for Jade to come in.

"Let me get a shirt." Ashton says quickly and Jade looks at him as he closes the door. He is only wearing grey cotton pants, Jade blushes a lot when she realizes.

"Right." She nods as she tries not to look. "Yeah," but Jade falls into temptation and looks at him.

She can see and understand why girls like him. Not only does he have a good face but his body is amazing as well. But then she notices the bruises. The dark purple circles placed about where his ribs would be. There was yellow around them as well. Also small black dots.

"Ashton?" Jade looks quizzically at his ribs. "What happened?"

"Ah, yeah," Ashton looks down. "Well that's kinda why I was off." He shrugs. "It hurts to stand, kinda."

"Then sit down." Jade says quickly frowning at him.

"I was going get a shirt." He points to the stairs which must be a lot of effort to climb.

"Don't be ridiculous." Hade says dismissively. "Go sit." She commands and Ashton smirks a little before going through to the living room were he sits on the couch and picks up an ice pack from the coffee table. He places it on his ribs and sighs out. He then notices Jade just standing there, awkwardly.

"You can sit too." He says and Jade nods. She sits at the end on the couch.

"What happened?" Jade asks with concern evident in her tone.

"Just football stuff." Ashton sighs. "I've had worse, trust me." Ashton tells her. "I once broke my arm."

"Ow," Jade gasps. "Why do you keep doing it?"

"It's what I'm good at." Ashton shrugs. "One of the only things I'm good at."

"You're good at math." Jade says honestly and Ashton lets out a chuckle before screwing his face up in pain as wincing.

Jade rolls her eyes and scoots a but closer. "Here." She takes the ice pack from Ashton. "Sit up some more." She tells him. He looks at her hesitantly before doing so and looking in pain as he does.

"What're you doing?" Ashton asks when Jade begins feeling at his ribs.

Jade didn't really know what she was doing. Well she knew what she was doing medically but mentally she had no clue. She wasn't really thinking when she started touching his ribs and just went for it. She feels stupid now but can't really stop until she had made sure there was no breakage.

"I'm checking that nothing is broken because you are complaining so much." Jade tells him and Ashton scoffs.

Jade continues and tells Ashton to tell her when it hurts most so she knows where a break might be. She doesn't ever find one and places the ice pack back on Ashton and he shivers. When she looks up she sees Ashton staring at her intently.

"What?" She asks.

"You're just really good a first aid stuff." He shrugs. "How?"

"My mom." Jade says but she doesn't really know. "Maybe Girl Scouts?" She also suggests.

"Girl Scouts?" Ashton holds back a laugh.

"There is so much you don't know." Jade mumbles and Ashton lets out a little chuckle.

"Yeah..." Ashton trails off looking down at Jade who is still pressing the ice pack against his ribs. "You knew what to do with my hand as well." Ashton says shyly and Jade's head snaps up to meet his gaze.

"You rememeber?" She asks quickly.

"Yeah," Ashton laughs a little. "I smashed a bottle and put my hand in it, chasing after you." He says. "You then took me back here and cleaned up my hand."

Ashton sits up a little bit and Jade takes the ice pack away. She sits up straight and leans back a tiny bit. Ashton moves his left leg off the couch, so that Jade is, technically, between his legs. That thought makes her flush a little bit but not enough for him to notice.

"We were in my bathroom upstairs," Ashton says. "You were cleaning up my hand and I said sorry for being a dick to you earlier in the night." Ashton reminds himself and Jade. "I also... I also explained why i was a dick to you." Ashton looks at Jade shyly and she sees his cheeks going a red color.

"Yeah," Jade coughs. "Yeah." She repeats. Jade sighs and looks away. 

"I meant it." Ashton says quickly and Jade looks back at him again.

"What?" She asks, making sure she heard him right. 

"I meant it," Ashton repeats, "I really meant it. Every word. I wasn't just saying it because i was drunk, or because i felt guilty, i meant it." Ashton picks up Jade's hands in his. "I really, really," He leans in closer to her and brings his voice down a bit. "Really, meant it."

Jade is too suprised to say anything. She had hoped that Ashton would remember what happened but she didn't think so suddenly. She didn't think it would all happen so quickly or that he owuld remember exactly what he said. But he does and Jade couldn't be more happy. And he didn't just say it because he was drunk.

"All of it?" Jade asks quietly.

Ashton nods. "All of it." He then shuffles closer. "And you said you felt the same. You like me too." Jade nods and blushes. "I was suprised." Ashton admits.

"You were?"

"I'm not the nicest guy, Jade, if you haven't noticed." Ashton sighs. "I do some pretty shitty things and I have pretty shitty friends, and the stuff i do to Calum, sometimes i really-"

Jade rolls her eyes and quickly leans into Ashton and pecks his lips before he can say any more. She has had enough of his rambling. She just wasnt him to know she doesn't care about that sutff and that she likes him for who he is. Even if he doesn't like himself. Jade likes him. And this was after Jade had seen what he did to Calum, but right now Calum doesn't matter to her. All that matters right now is her and Ashton.

"Oh," Ashton says in suprise when Jade pulls back.

"Are you still suprised?" Jade asks.

"pretty much." Ashton gushes and Jade lets out a giggle. "But that doesn't mean I don't want you to do that again." Ashton is now smirking and Jade rolls her eyes.and pushes his chest slightly. Ashton winces in pain.

"Oh my god." Jade says in a panic. "I am so sorry." She is immediatly apologizing and holding the ice pack back to his ribs again.

"It's fine." Ashton chuckles at the frantic Jade.

"I'm sorry." She apologizes again but this time she is smiling. Ashton takes the ice pack from her hand and puts it on the floor. He sits closer to her and Jade bring her left leg up onto the couch. Ashton brushes some hair away from her ace and traces her lips with his thumb. He has never felt this way about a person before. He has never felt this close to a person even though he has only really known Jade porperly for only six weeks. Six weeks!

Jade closes her eyes when she feeels as though Ashton is going to lean in and feels their lips touch again. It isn't a peck this time and is much slower and less rushed. Unlike thier first kiss it isn't a bad rushed. It doesn't taste like alcohol, more like coffee. Ashton sits up some more and pulls Jade closer to him. She places her hands on his chest and slides them up to around his neck. Ashton places his hand not on Jade's cheek on her back strokes it with his thumb, slightly, and Jade shivers. She feels Ashton chuckle against her lips and she can't help but smile.

They are so wrapped up in each others lips and arms that they don't take notice of the front door opening. They don't hear the living room door then being opened. They only come back to earth when someone says, "Ashton?"

Jade and Ashton both pull apart quickly and face the voice. Ashton's mmom, sister and brother are standing in the living room door. Jade stands up quickly, nearly falling over the coffee table.

"Mom," Ashton's eyes go wide. His mom is looking between Jade and Ashton. Ashton's little sister is squinting her eyes at Jade, like she is trying to work out something about her. His little brother is just trying reallly hard not to laugh. All three of their responses were making Jade extremely nervous.

"This is Jade." Ashton says awkwardly.

"Your tutor?" Mrs Irwin cocks her head to the side.

"Yes." Ashton and Jade say at the same time.

"Okay." Ashton's mom looks between the two of them before saying, "It's nice to finally meet you." She steps forward and holds out her hand. "I'm Anne Marie, you are really helping Ashton."

Just as Jade shakes Anne Marie's hand Lauren says, "In more ways than one, obviously."

"Lauren!" Ashton yells and picks up a pillow from the couch and throw it at her but she is already running upstairs to her room.

"It's fine." Jade blushes and Anne Marie quickly apologizes.

"I told you she was your girlfriend." HArry tries to say only to Ashton but everyone else hears.

"Harry!" Ashton yells at him too. Harry bursts into a fit off giggles and runs in the direction Lauren ran in.

"Sorry, again." Anne Marie says and JAd waves her hand.

"It's fine." She laughs. "Honestly."

"Are you staying for dinner?" Anne Marie asks.

"Oh, um," Jade looks to Ashton who shrugs. "No, i just came to see that Ashton was okay." She faces Anne Marie again.

"Oh," Anne Marie's faces drops a little bit. Jade didn't realize that she wanted her to stay that badly. "He's fine, just a little a little clumsy sometimes. His two feet can never work on stairs aparently."

Jade raises an eyebrow. "Ashton said it was football." She says and looks at Ashton who is staring at his feet.

"Oh," Anne Marie's eyes widen and she quickly glances at Ashton before looking at Jade again. "Yeah, i guess it was that. I can barely track all his injuries from football now. He's had so many."

"Yeah, a lot." Ashton says quickly and stands up from the couch and walks over. He intertwines him and Jade's hands. "Come on." He tugs at Jade slightly. She realizes this must mean she is leaving.  

"It was nice meeting you."  She says to Ashton's mom and she mumbles something like that back and quickly exits to the kitchen.

Ashton stops when him and Jade reach the door and almost immediatly he kisses her again. His hands resting on her waist and her hands placed on his arms.

"Sorry about the interruption." Ashton says, breaking off the kiss.

"It's fine, i don't mind." Jade brushes him off. "Your mom is nice." Even though Jade wished she could have met Anne Marie in better circumstances she was glad she met her now and felt comfortable around the house.

"Yeah..." Ashton says hesitanlty. "I'll see you tomorrow." He kisses her cheek.

"So you are coming in?" Jade asks.

"Of course." He smiles and opens the door.

"OKay, bye." Jade says awkwardly.

"Bye." Ashton says and Jade steps out of the house. She quickly walks down the path and across the road. She looks back once she reaches her door to see that Ashton is still waiting at his door just to check that Jade crosses the road safetly. Jade can't help but roll her eyes and laugh. She waves at him when she opens her door and he does it back and goes back inside his house.

Jade was smiling until she got in and heard her parents yelling at each other, again. she just went upstairs to try and ignore it. She could tell they were yelling about her dad going out of town for some lawyer thing. She blocked it out though. She jsut blocked it out and thought about Ashton. She flops down on her bed and puts on her headphones and blocks it out. She replays her and Ashton's kiss in her head.

He did say he would make up for their first kiss, and he did. Even her parents arguing couldn't ruin how she was feeling, how Ashton made her feel.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 5.2K 25
you're just a project. not a lover. copyright 2014 completed.
682 25 21
"My wish is to stay happy." |Ashton Irwin|
576 2 26
"You're complicated, Clifford." "Why don't you figure my heart out?" CONTENT WARNING! RATED MATURE - mature content, sensitive and triggering topics...
lukey By Sophie

Fanfiction

460 14 16
where two people fall for eachother, even if they are 18 years apart {book one of the fangirl series}