Back to Basics

By KaylaWoods289

"I need you" Natalia 'Nat' Thorton is a strong willed ranch owner. She runs the ranch her father left her alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Finding Ground
Chapter 2: Protecting Her
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Her Anchor
Chapter 5: Coffee
Chapter 6: Finding her Muse
Chapter 7: Reminiscing
Chapter 8: Radio Trouble
Chapter 9: Discoveries
Chapter 10: Sensual Touch
Chapter 11: I Turn to You
Chapter 12: Explanations
Chapter 13: Start of an Adventure
Chapter 14: Control
Chapter 15: Getting her Way
Chapter 16: Changing it Up
Chapter 17: Let Go
Chapter 18: Home
Chapter 19: Keith
Chapter 20: Finding her song
Chapter 21: Preview
Chapter 22: Julio & Naomi
Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress
Chapter 24: Face the Music
Chapter 25: Thunder Rolls
Chapter 26: No Reception
Chapter 27:Coming Home
Chapter 28: All In
Chapter 29: Being Happy
Chapter 30: Mountains and Desires
Chapter 31: Good Morning
Chapter 32: Misunderstanding
Chapter 33: Turn on the Radio
Chapter 34: First Show Back
Chapter 35: All Mine
Chapter 36: Relocate
Chapter 37: Reflect
Chapter 38: Interview Gone Wrong
Chapter 39: Done
Chapter 40: Safely & Securely
Chapter 41: Resolve
Chapter 42: Goodbye
Chapter 43: Two More Weeks
Chapter 44: Outlaw and Storm
Chapter 45: Happy
Chapter 46: Daddy
Chapter 47: Welcome Home Princess
Chapter 48: Breaking the news
Chapter 49: My Happiness
Chapter 50: Bright Future
Chapter 52: It's Time
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Back at It
Chapter 55: De Ja Vu
Chapter 56: Legends
Epilogue

Chapter 51: Decisions

3.2K 182 2
By KaylaWoods289

Cassie couldn't help but smile as the sun rays rolled into her room. She turned feeling the weight against her stomach. Her face coming in align with the incredibly sexy sleeping man of hers. Her finger coming up to leisurely trace his jaw line before going back up and brushing his hairs out of face. She leans forward kissing his cheek lovingly. She lifts his arm getting out of the bed reaching for the robe next to the bed. 

She walks into their ensuite to brush her teeth and do her morning business before coming out. The bed still holding one sleeping giant making her grin. She decides to leave him there and go to the kitchen to make something for breakfast for them. They have been back from the trip for a few weeks now. Cassie loved her life as of now. The simplicity of it was a breath of fresh air. She has been debating whether or not she really wanted to continue singing and touring. 

She had pulled Jackson aside a few days ago talking to him about her feelings. He stated that as her friend and agent, it was her decision but not make any rash decision. She knew he was right. Cass was more worried that this dream would fade away if she stepped away from it. Scared that it would be tainted if she took off again. She hadn't made a decision yet but wanted to talk with Nat about it. Keith told her previously he would support her no matter what. He has been her anchor now. Nat still was her rock but Keith was filling a gap she never thought could be filled. 

The support she has now is unmeasurable. She wishes she could have had this type of solidity from the beginning. Growing up, she struggled to remain a happy child. She always tried to impress her parents but nothing ever seemed to be good enough. She could be the best but it would never have ended up with their approval. She didn't realize that until after meeting Nat. 

Nat was her miracle that arrived at a time when she needed her most. She couldn't even imagine where her life would be if she hadn't forced herself into Nat's bubble. Probably married off to one of her father's associates for the better of the company.

She shakes head releasing those thoughts before going to the coffee maker and starting it up. Keith likes his strong and black. She cringes just thinking about it. Hearing the front door open, she doesn't bother turning knowing only one person who would get up this early.

"God, I miss coffee!"

Cass giggles walking over to the fridge grabbing the orange before pouring a glass and turn to her best friend. She hands it over getting a smile in return.

"Good morning Nat."

"Morning Cass." Nat leans forward kissing her cheek before taking her seat on one of the bar stools.

"Did you sleep well?"

Nat nods her head in return. "Need help with breakfast?"

"I would never turn down that." Cass says placing her hand to her chest dramatically.

Nat chuckles standing up going over to the fridge checking what they have. They decide on pancakes and bacon. Nat handling the pancakes while Cass takes care of the bacon. Nat begins humming and Cass can't help but laugh.

"Really?" Cass asks incredulously.

Nat grins and begins singing out the lyrics to Cass' new song.

"It ain't my fault!"

Cass laughs before deciding to join in. Both of them laughing together as they finish. Cass takes the opportunity to talk.

"Hey Nat?" She hums in reply. "What would you think about me retiring from singing?"

Nat stops on the pancakes turning to her with a raised brow. Cass tries to act nonchalant but truthfully could feel her heart hammering in her chest. She flips the bacon trying to not look at Nat.

"Cass, look at me." Well that plan failed. Cass slowly turns to Nat trying to gage her reaction. Nat stands there silently looking into her eyes for a moment. After a long pause, she speaks. "Talk to me."

Cass takes a deep breath as Nat turns back to the pancake. "It's just been so perfect lately and I'm finally happy..."

"You're scared." Nat answers simply. Cass turns snapping of her burner before looking to Nat. She wants Nat's thoughts, or opinion... not to hear the truth.

"Well.. yeah."

Nat nods her head finishing the last pancake and snapping her burner off. She turns to Cass looking directly in her eyes. Cass unintentionally holds her breath.

"Cass, it's not for me to decide when you've had enough. I'm not going to stand here and tell you what to do. But... IF you are ONLY wanting to quit because you're afraid then I think you will regret quiting down the road."

Cass leans against the counter taking in her words. Her head dropping momentarily. Nat takes the few steps to her placing her hands on Cass' shoulders. Cass looking up to looking so conflicted. Nat gives a reassuring smile.

"Let me ask you this- when you originally got signed the record label deal and had to leave... we're you scared then?"

"Nat, that's different.." Cass whines childishly.

"How so?" Nat raises a brow reminding Cass way too much of the man upstairs.

"I was scared of failing back then and now... Now I'm scared of loosing." Her voice coming out weaker.

"Loosing what? Us?"

Cass looks up and Nat finally gets it. She squeezes her shoulder making the blonde beauty lock their gazes. "If you couldn't get rid of me back then, you ain't getting rid of me now."

Cass chuckles making Nat smile widely. She releases a sigh still smiling gently. "It's not just you now."

"Ouch! Oh that one hurt." Nat rubs her chest dramatically but calms down. Cass still looks worried. She goes to reply but a knock makes her turn her gaze back to the entrance of the kitchen. Nat quickly slaps her hand over eyes. "Couldn't you have put on a shirt??"

"Talia, can you give us a minute?"

Nat nods releasing Cass and heading towards the door. She turns back looking to Cass.

"Meet you in 30 for our ride?"

Cass nods her head as Nat walks out of their house. The room going silent. Cassie turns back to the breakfast plating it up all the while Keith doesn't say anything. Once she has them sitting on the table, she turns to him.

He slowly walks up to her, his gaze never wavering from hers. His hands coming forward to gently clasp hers. She continues searching his eyes.

"Princess, I'm not going anywhere." His words were soft and lifted an invisible weight from Cass' chest. She took a deep breath in releasing it slowly.

Cass releases his hands long enough to wrap her arms around his neck giving him a firm hug. Keith doesn't hesitate coiling his tree trunk arms around her giving her the comfort she needed. She leans back enough to look him in the eyes. Those hypnotic blues already looking baack.

"I can't lose you sexy. You have come to mean more to me then you could ever know. I would give up all of it as long as you were by my side."

Keith takes a moment before pecking her lips.

"Someone who truly loves you wouldn't make you change or give up something you love... If you want to be done, that's fine but make sure it's for you, not because of me. I will be here no matter what choice you make. You are my future Cass."

Cass feels her eyes water as his heart melts at his declaration.

"I love you Keith"

"I love you Cassie"

She pulls his neck down capturing his lips in a searing kiss leaving them both to disregard the breakfast on the table. He lift hers onto the countertop stepping between her legs. Her arms wrapped tightly around his neck never wanting to let this god of a man go. He groaned as her lips devoured him with so much need. She would be the death of him but he didn't care. He wanted everything his princess was offering. 

Thirty minutes later, Cass walked out of the house with a glowing smile and her hair thrown up into a messy bun. She had a slight bounce to her step and bright eyes as she walked the distance to the stables. Her eyes moving around until landing a familiar brown horse. 

"Morning Outlaw"

The horse lifts his gaze from the hay to find her standing at the door. He takes a few steps as she opens the door to go to him. Her hand running up his head before falling down the length of his neck and tracing his side. She walked over gathering her saddle before strapping up her boy and getting onto his back. She had become more confident in her riding abilities after so much time with Nat. 

They got out to the open field before she clicked her tongue and the horse took off. She knew where to go and knew her best friend would be there. Arriving at the spot she finds Nat already sitting on Shadow's back. The pair looking as one as the sun appears higher in the sky than normal. 

"Took you long enough... nice hair." Nat shivers is disgust making Cass laugh but nothing could remove the smile from her lips. 

"It was a good talk..."

Nat laughs throwing her head back before looking to Cass, "I'm sure it was."

They fall silent as they look out over the scenery. Cass catches Nat move and her hand unconsciously going to her small baby bump. Cass's smiling softening in adoration at the sight. Her best friend would be no doubt and incredible mother and from experience with Jackson. She knew this child would be best in the care. 

"Hey Nat?" She hummed in reply before looking at the golden hair beauty. "I'm happy for you."

Her eyes glancing to her stomach as Nat looks down as well. A gentle smile tilting her lips, "me too."

They stayed for a few more minutes before riding back down to the ranch. Cass leaving Nat as she went to work on the ranch. Cass walked back to her home deciding to go to the back porch. She saw where Keith had a stand set for her and her guitar was perched in it. Her eyes moved to the table next to the love seat where her lyric book already laid. Her smile grew as she realized he set this up for her. 

She made her way to sit down lifting the guitar onto her lap as she began stringing random chords. Her eyes going out to the scenery and she had made her decision. She was glad she spoke with Nat and Keith. They were right, it was her decision and her future. She wanted it all and she would figure it out. She wanted to keep her music, she wanted Keith and she wanted her sister. 

With a determined feeling coursing through her, she began singing. Singing for her future that she knew she could have. Singing for the love she know felt and gave. Singing for the family she had gained. 

Keith remained in the house looking out to his princess who was trying out new music as he smiled. He was glad she wasn't giving up. He loved that she was artistic and knew it was a huge part of who she was. She just had to believe it herself. That she could have it all. Now... he would help her keep it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 334 32
Aria had a simple life, she had her friends, her brother, and her parents. At the time she thought life couldn't get any better; minus the guy she wa...
30.6K 3.2K 60
||COMPLETE|| Amber Blake is having dreams, and they just might be the key to saving her best friend, Mark. Unfortunately, she's too preoccupied prete...
HONESTLY By Sunny Birch

General Fiction

929 2 26
Nicky Peters sets out on an emotional roller coaster when she creates a melody from an old high school journal entry which develops into her debut so...
513 9 50
Carolina goes home to her family ranch in Texas for the summer from college. She is expecting a fairly peaceful summer minus her daily arguments with...