Unraveling Secrets

By engeIs

"But... How can I be your mate?" She whispered, lowering her head. "I'm a human. Humans and werewolves can't... More

怌 Chapter 1 怍
怌 Chapter 2 怍
怌 Chapter 3 怍
怌 Chapter 4 怍
怌 Chapter 5 怍
怌 Chapter 6 怍
怌 Chapter 7 怍
怌 Chapter 8 怍
怌 Chapter 9 怍
怌 Chapter 10 怍
怌 Chapter 11 怍
怌 Chapter 12 怍
怌 Chapter 13 怍
怌 Chapter 14 怍
怌 Chapter 15 怍
怌 Chapter 16 怍
怌 Chapter 17 怍
怌 Chapter 19 怍
怌 Chapter 20 怍
怌 Chapter 21 怍
怌 Chapter 22 怍
怌 Chapter 23 怍
怌 Chapter 24 / Epilogue 怍
怌 Bonus Chapter 怍

怌 Chapter 18 怍

21.8K 686 147
By engeIs

"And you know he keeps a calendar for my periods? I pretended like I didn't notice it but I was so embarrassed. I mean I guess it's kind of sweet that he cares that much about me- Mittens? Where are you going?" Madeline perched herself up the edge of the tub to look at the cat, who was just sitting on the counter a few seconds ago. "I was talking to you. It's really rude to just leave in the middle of a conversation like that. I know you're just a cat, but still."

The girl watched curiously as he frantically ran around the large bathroom, before jumping into the laundry basket and hiding under the clothes. "What a strange cat," She thought, standing up. Now that the animal was out of sight, she could finally get out of the tub without anyone looking at her.

Or so she thought.

Matthew barged into the bathroom, sniffing around. "Where is it?"

With a scream, Madeline quickly covered herself with her hands and sat back down in the bubble-filled tub, her cheeks flaming with mortification.

"What are you doing!?"

"I can smell it. I know that cat's in here somewhere."

"Will you get out? You can't just come in here when I'm bathing." She sank further down until her chin was submerged in the water, praying the bubbles were providing enough coverage.

"So a cat is allowed to watch you bathe, but your own mate can't?"

Her face turned impossibly redder. "Wha- It's just a cat. That's different. Now get out, please?"

"It's not 'just a cat', that thing is a spirit trapped inside a cat, and it's trying to possess you."

Madeline blinked once. Then twice. "... Are you feeling okay Matthew? I think you're going insane."

He sent her a glare. "I am not going insane, that cat is clearly not normal. I have to get rid of it before it does something bad to you." Opening the bathroom cabinets, he began searching for the feline.

"Mittens is not going to do something bad to me. Sometimes he acts a bit weird, but he is a precious little baby."

Matthew rolled his eyes, walking over to the laundry basket. Before she could stop him, he grabbed it and flipped it over, dumping out all the dirty clothes. Sure enough, the cat fell out, hissing angrily at the man in front of him.

"Here you are, you little demon." He reached down to grab it, only to get scratched by the vicious animal. For a split second, he winced in pained, but the cuts healed right away. "It's going to take a lot more than that to hurt me."

Before he could reach for the cat again, Mittens took off in a sprint, dashing out of the bathroom. Matthew grumbled in irritation and ran after him.

Once they left, Madeline sighed, glad to finally be alone. After getting out and putting on her clothes, she looked out the bedroom window, seeing a small cat was running towards the forest, followed by a large black wolf.

——————————

"You can't kill Mittens."

Matthew was holding the cat by its scruff while it flailed around violently. "I have to. You should be glad I stopped him before he got into your body."

"You don't have any proof that he's an evil spirit. What if he really is just an innocent kitty?"

They looked at the cat, who was now baring its fangs and hissing at him.

"Does it look innocent to you?"

Madeline fought back the urge to laugh. "He's just grumpy because you're carrying him like that. Let me hold him."

"I'm not letting this thing get near you." He turned around and walked a few feet away, but suddenly stopped as he heard a voice whispering nearby.

"She's right, you know? I'd be a lot nicer if you'd let me go."

Matthew slowly gazed down at the cat in his hands, who seemed to be grinning at him. A mischievous glint sparked in his green eyes.

"You can talk?" He turned back to his mate. "Did you hear that? It just spoke to me."

"No, I didn't hear anything."

He pulled the cat up to his face. "Do it again."

Mittens let out a meow.

The young girl's eyes drifted back and forth between him and the animal in his hand. "... Are you sure you're not going insane?"

With a scowl, Matthew stormed away.

"Don't-"

"I won't kill the cat. I just want to be alone with it for a moment."

Madeline relaxed at his words, though her heart stayed disquieted. She had grown very attached to Mittens, but she knew it was important to trust her mate. Giving him a small nod, she watched as he walked into his office.

...

Locking the door behind him, he threw Mittens onto the floor and crossed his arms.

"You think you're funny, huh? Making me look delusional in front of her?"

The cat meowed innocently, making him roll his eyes.

"I know you can understand me. So I'll tell you this once. If you want to live, go find another human to possess, and leave my human alone-"

"Did you know that when a human is possessed by a familiar, their strength doubles?" Mittens cut him off. Matthew furrowed his brows inquisitively. Though he seemed agitated by the sudden interruption, his expression urged him to continue. "That would be quite handy if you wanted to turn her into a wolf, no?"

"I do not wish to turn her. I have no problem being mated with a human."

"Hmm... May I share a memory with you?"

"What?"

Among their few magical abilities, familiars had the power to depict vivid memories and telepathically share them with others. "Close your eyes."

Reluctantly, Matthew followed the cat's orders, and an image began forming in his mind.

-

Madeline was sitting in the garden he built her, twirling a flower around in her hand, while Mittens laid in her lap. This memory seemed to be from a few weeks ago.

"You know what I dreamt of last night, Mittens? Matthew and I had a baby." She stroked the cat's fur, a little smile forming on her lips. "I know I'm way too young for a baby right now, but I can't stop thinking of them. They have the cutest little hands and the chubbiest cheeks, ugh, I want one so bad."

The wind blew softly in her hair while the sunlight kissed her gleaming skin. Even in a memory seen through a cat's eyes, she was the loveliest thing Matthew had ever seen. He almost wanted to have that baby with her right now.

"And we'll probably have the most adorable kids ever, because Matthew is so pretty. I seriously can't wait till I'm old enough to have one, but for now, you can be my baby." She cradled Mittens in her arms, while he nuzzled against her face.

-

Matthew's eyes snapped open when the vision in his head suddenly came to an end. A hint of jealousy was apparent on his face as he looked at the cat. "Why can't I be her baby?"

"So, do you still want her to stay a human? Imagine how heartbroken she'll be when she finds out humans and wolves can't have children together..."

"I'm not letting you possess her just for that. Who knows what you'll do to her body."

"I only need her body as a temporary vessel so I can possess something much stronger than her. I obviously do not want to remain as a weak human being."

"No."

"Plus, if you turn her into a direwolf, she'll feel the mate-bond and will finally feel more than innocent puppy-love for you. It's been months since you were together and she still won't even willingly kiss you. That must be painful-"

"Shut up," Matthew snarled, trying to ignore his wolf's pleadings to accept the cat's offer. "Our mate will be able to feel our bond and carry our pups. He's only going to possess her for what? A day? It's totally worth it." Ambivalence filled his head as he quarrelled with his wolf.

The familiar noticed his inner conflict. "I see your wolf isn't on the same page as you. Will your answer remain no?"

With a heavy sigh, Matthew opened the door to walk out of the room.

"... I'll think about it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 68.3K 51
Amelia Davis is 20 and she's apart of the Moonlight pack. She has already shifted and she hasn't found her mate yet. This doesn't worry her because s...
99.7K 2.2K 32
I looked into the magazine again not sure if I was seeing things. 'Mate.' My wolf growled again. How can this be? How can my mate be a human and what...
22.8K 520 17
"Darling." He smirked and eyed my lips. "Promises can be broken." "I don't break promises," I aimed to assure. "I know because I know you." He stretc...
2.8M 50K 19
"You know you can't resist me much longer." He continued to trail kisses down my neck and jaw. I bit my lip to keep a moan from escaping. "I am yo...