It's worth it....

By tanvee13

She is a princess for her family He is a pillar of his family They met in as normal as the circumstances can... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14- Part 1
14 - Part 2
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
A new story at your disposal!
Epilogue

20

881 52 4
By tanvee13

I have given a lot of thought to write this one!
Your views are welcome!
Like, comment and share!

_______________________________________

3 years later

This span of 3 years had changed many things for Anu and Arjun.
Arjun's shop was not small anymore.
It was now a local provider of all the stationery items in Mumbai.
Going by the name, 'Shiksha Stationers', Arjun had done an exquisite job of expanding the business, by grabbing big orders from various convent schools and big universities which helped him to expand his horizons.

But, now, after 'Shiksha Stationers' had become a trustworthy name, Arjun had changed his targets.
Now, he himself approached small NGO's and orphanages or municipality schools and provided his products. Sometimes for free and other times for a meagre price.

He knew what his parents went through to give the best education to both their children as they can. These less privileged children reminded him of his childhood. It gave a sense of relief to him, to be able to make their childhood a tad bit easier.
It's what his father had taught him.

Never forget where you come from!

His academic performance suffered a bit due to the business, though. But not so much. He was always interested in the concepts, rather than the tactics to score more! So, he didn't care if he was not in the top 5 scorers. He knew he was going to be a hell of a doctor. As for Radhika, things were getting better, gradually, thanks to Arjun's patience. Well, she still had a lot of friends and, suspicious ones, according to Anjali. She always had a thing for acting and dancing! So, naturally, when she announced after her 12th that she wanted to pursue a career in the same, Anjali was furious as hell. It was a very normal thing in middle-class families to frown upon such career choices. It was a common notion that acting was a very unstable profession and, for a girl to do a career in it, well, it was the most scandalous thing.

But, as always, Arjun believed in her passion for acting and supported her, on the condition that she would act only in regional Marathi acts and plays, for now. Also to his mother's relief, Arjun had sternly warned Radhika, that the next time she behaves irresponsibly, will be her last day in the acting field. Radhika was shocked to hear this threat! As she knew her dada never gave such threats, she somehow knew its best if she behaved this time.

On the other side of Mumbai, Anu had her share of troubles. Her Janvi di, eventually, had to succumb to their family's wishes, when they brought Akshay's match for her. With an MBA degree in business and a good, reputed family in the elite world, Janvi had no solid reason to reject him. Anu tried her best to convince her father, Rajesh, that janvi is not ready for a marriage, but like every other parent, Rajesh was adamant to not let such a good match go in vain. It went without saying that Vijayadevi was all praises about Akshay who would be married to her favourite granddaughter! Even Janvi had surrendered completely. Well, as an elder daughter, she knew her duties well.

"Don't fret! Who knows? Maybe Akshay will let me study further even after marriage. If all our elders are convinced, then he must be a good guy for me!" She had once said to Anu.

But Anu had observed her sister going through sleepless nights, doing wishful thinking about doing further studies in business.

As a result, despite all Anu's efforts to stop this marriage, Janvi was married to Akshay in a grand ceremony a year ago. Now they both lived in Delhi! Anu just wished that her dii is happy!
On the academic front, Anu was as always, the topper of her batch.

"This girl is a pain in the ass!" Ronit entered the canteen muttering, and settled in the chair, opposite Anu, who was busy checking any last-minute errors in her assignment.
"She says the same about you!" Anu said, eyes trained on her book.

Ronit frowned, "How are you even friends with her? That too for so many years!" Ronit asked as if it was the most ridiculous thing to be friends with Neha.

Anu sighed and looked up, "Again, she says the same about you to Arjun. See? You both are so made for each other!" Anu chuckled, as Ronit rolled his eyes!

"Don't react like this! Not now at least! You both are finally together!" Anu said.

"Well, if I had known these fights would be never-ending, I would've..."

"What? Never proposed? Are you forgetting that you were practically obsessed with her?" Anu asked, arching an eyebrow!

Ronit gave a sheepish smile, " I still am! But, God, these fights! I just don't know how to stop these fights!" He said clutching his forehead. Anu sympathized with Ronit. There were only two things which never changed in these 3 years. The first one being those pointless bickerings of Ronit and Neha. Though Ronit and Neha were a thing for a year now, Neha, sometimes, can be a real pain in the ass. But, Ronit was a hell of a guy, to put up with her tantrums. Anu had grown to respect him more in this past year.

"It will be alright!" Anu patted his hand. Ronit nodded, suddenly asking, "How come I have never seen you two fight?"
Anu scoffed, "That's because one needs to have time, even for fighting. And your friend doesn't have that!"

Ronit was amused, "I think I should tell him you were complaining."
Anu was on high alert," No, don't tell him! He is a bigger pain in the ass when he is in guilt!" Anu said as Ronit laughed! Anu knew Arjun, like the back of her hand.
It was the second thing that never changed. Their relationship. Anu craved for even a moment of peace with him. Even he became desperate, sometimes. "I'll keep the shop closed, today. Let's go out!" He had said once, out of desperation. It was when the shop was a small store. It was a tiny moment of joy for Anu, to know that Arjun was thinking about her and not his shop!

But, now after that small store has turned into a flourishing business, he has hired two men, older than him, from his locality. Dinesh and Shyam, are now full-time caretakers of his business and his good friends.

Anu had initially hoped that now with these two guys handling the business, she would finally get more time with Arjun. But, now that they were in their final semester, they were even busier. The stingy cadavers, endless lectures and seminars kept them busy enough! So, to compensate for the lack of time, Anu had stopped travelling in her car, entirely. Now, she travelled only in locals and buses, just to spend more time with Arjun.

The next half an hour, Anu immersed herself into teaching Ronit a few concepts of obstetrics, while they waited for Arjun and Neha to join them.

After the tedious work of assisting a resident doctor in the college, both Neha and Arjun were far more grateful for a break.

"How was the surgery?" Anu asked as Arjun settled beside her on the chair.

"Great! You should have seen Dr Awasthi when he put that stint in the upper arm! Flawless!" Arjun had a twinkle in his eyes even in that exhausted condition.

"Oh. Please! Even measuring B.P is fascinating for you! I mean, c'mon, the surgery lasted for 4 hours! I was craving for food, even in that bloody mess!" Neha muttered, as she pulled Ronit's dish and gobbled a fry!

"When are you not craving for food, by the way?" Arjun asked, amused!

Neha gave a hard glare, as Ronit guffawed!

As Neha's icy glare turned towards him, he thought it better to change the topic!

"Dude, saw your sister's play yesterday! She is an amazing man!" Ronit said!

Arjun smiled proudly, "Yeah! She is! Don't say this in front of aai, though! She'll skin you alive!" He sighed.

Anu asked, "You should speak to her! Radhika is doing great!"

Arjun nodded, "I think I'll speak to her once Radhika is back from Kolhapur. She's gone since last week!
Aai is biting my head off!" Another sigh!

"Well, speaking of that, I need to go! Mom must be waiting!" Neha said, in a gruff voice!

"Wait! I'll drop you!" Ronit stopped her!
"No need!" Neha snapped!
"But I didn't ask! I am telling you! Now give me that bag!" Ronit said calmly!
Neha sighed and followed him!

Anu smiled, "They are made for each other!" She didn't know why she felt a longing while saying that!

Arjun hummed in response, slightly doubtful!

Are we made for each other?

Yes, they cared for each other, studied together, talked on calls, loved each other!

But the conversations were missing!
All they talk about is their families, studies, shop.
And a couple of 'I love yous' here and there!

They never talked about themselves! Ironically, they never got enough time to tell each other, what they actually feel, how they miss each other, how they missed doing those small romantic gestures couples do all the time, in 4 long years!
Yes, she still craved for his time! And he still did his best to spend as much time with her in college as possible! So, love was there! But, something was missing!

Arjun wondered whether this is what happens when a relationship is dead?

Or is this the punishment for being extra busy all the time?

He was mulling over his thoughts, when Anu nudged him, " Aren't you getting late for delivering that order?"

Arjun just stared at her! This... This was the thing that still amazed him, even after 4 long years of their almost non-existent relationship! How can someone who is so high maintenance and pampered, can show such dedicated patience for so long?

Yes, Non- existent! He lately was feeling it! No... They were not in a relationship because they didn't know how to get out of it!

They were together because they genuinely loved each other! At least he did! Still does! But the romance had died! Arjun scoffed inwardly!
He was sounding like a person who has no romance in his life after 10 years of marriage!

Their intimacy stretched as far as hand-holding and side hugging! Except for that one kiss they shared! Other than that their relationship was as good as a long-distance one!

Anu nudged him again! "What are you thinking?"
Arjun shook his head, "Nothing. Let's go!" He said!

He was getting more anxious with these thoughts lately! He didn't know what to do about it! Yes, he can try to be a good boyfriend. But, he knew in his heart! He does not have that liberty! His life has too much to take care of! For others, being a doctor meant fulfilling their own dream. But for Arjun, it meant a load of financial loans to be taken care of, it meant fulfilling not only his dream but to able to fulfill his sister's dreams too! He doesn't want his sister to compromise on her dreams, just due to lack of money. On top of that, he also knew, Anu deserved better! She doesn't deserve to be someone's second choice! She doesn't deserve to be neglected! She deserved to be the centre of attention! She was that special!

He was growing more and more dejected by these thoughts, lately!

But, now, it was the only thought which he dreaded the most!

I need to do something!

_______________________________________

A looooonnnggg one! I know!! But stay tuned!
The main surprise is yet to come!
See ya!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

836K 30.7K 111
"Listen Dev. I..I am sorry. Please let me explain" I pleaded while taking my steps back. "Sorry? Really? Ms Aasha Sharma" he asked with a smirk. Now...
84K 3.5K 77
Top hash tags #1 - fictional character #3- Sizzling #3- celebrity #3- fictional characters #4- couple Dear Readers, Before you embark on the journey...
234K 10.8K 67
Two people came together and became one. They started their life with some Promises, which make their life a beautiful journey. They are two differen...
440K 5.1K 10
❤️COMPLETED AND TOOK IT DOWN❤️ "How dare you... How dare you leave me? You used to say that you loved me; then how dare you leave me all alone? You s...