The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

To Build Understanding

363 20 2
By Skipology

Khaana sat at a safe distance and watched as Uhtred went over battle tactics with Leofric and his men. "I see why Brida was so miserable." Khaana thought to herself as she rested her head in her hand, watching the soldiers with a bored expression.   Once the men finally took a break Uhtred went to Khaana he could see her expression even at a distance. "You know you don't have to be here," Uhtred told her amusement shining in his eyes. "They have plenty to do back in the village. Being a barmaid or tending to the animals, helping the nuns, aiding the sick." He said.

Khaana scowled, "those all sound terrible," She said. Uhtred laughed "You like taking care of people, go help the sick. It will give you better use for your power." He said. "I can only heal those with who I am connected." Khaana reasoned. "so give them medicine and put a poultice on their aches. Alfred is running with your lie of being sent by their god. It will help me look better if you are out there helping his people." Uhtred said.

Khaana sighed, "and he finally wants to put that mind to use." she said to herself. "I am learning. If Alfred thinks, so will I." Uhtred said. "alright, I will go, do give the Urswine a good trashing for me...he keeps looking this way. It's very unsettling." Khaana said, gathering he travel satchel and heading off towards the village.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moans, groans, coughs, and all manner of unpleasant noises came from the infirmary of the church. Khaana went from cot to cot offering water, herbal medicine, and broth to the sick, but many of the villagers there were wounded farmers who tried to defend their land from would-be raiders.

"do not touch me demon!" An injured monk cried out at Khaana reached out to him to add a salve to a wound on his arm. Khaana rolled her eyes, "I am sent here by the father, monk. I am no demon." She said reaching for his arm again, but still, he snatched it away. "You are, you survive flames and travel with heathens! I am not fooled by the stories!" the monk shouted. He quickly fell into a coughing fit, "Child," she said pointedly to the middle-aged man, "you have given yourself the fits. I travel with Uhtred a Saxon-blooded pagan who now serves your king, your country. I also travel with Sir Leofric and his men, and I have been sent on holy business." She explained trying to retain patience. 

Khaana blinked a few times as she gave the monk a moment to think. "Now would you rather treat your wound or would you rather let it fester and pray you weren't wrong about me." She mused. 

The monk looked down at his arm and hesitantly cast his eyes up to Khaana, she held out her hand and he rested his arm in it. "That doesn't look like the salve the nuns have been using." The Monk said timidly. Khaana chuckled inwardly as he lost most of his piousness. "Because it is not the same Salve, it is better. I went out and gather new herbs these are old remedies." She said, once the salve covered the wound she dressed it in fresh bandages.

"You are free to be on your way," Shee said, the most pulled his sleeve over the wound and spared little time, hurrying away from Khaana.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening was falling, the sky turning slowly with pale oranges and pinks that would soon grow vivid.  The Nuns seemed to welcome Khaana, most of them anyway as they followed her about listening to her advice on making medicines, salves, and more.  The Monks, however, had yet to trust her and there were already murmurings of witchcraft.

"Lady Messanger!" a Nun called rushing over, "We have a woman who is very ill, she cannot hold down her food, her belly is very big with a baby. She came to us, from a few villages over, a bit beat from a raid...She wants to know if her baby is ok." The Nun explained, she looked to Khaana with hopeful eyes. "Might you be able to tell her...Lady?" she asked.

"I cannot say for certain if the child has suffered any harm. If the mother has not felt its kick in a while I can however give her the peace of knowing if it has survived the trauma or not." Khaana offered. The nun smiled and bowed her head slightly in thanks, "That would be more than enough. She is this way!" The Nun called with a smile, rushing back to the mother, Khaana close behind.

A woman sat on a cot, her arms holding her belly tightly. "Ma'am, We have brought her." the Nun announced. Khaana stepped to the mother's bedside, the woman looked up at her with worried eyes. "can you tell me if it is ok? it is all I have left of my husband..." she whimpered. Khaana offered the woman a faint closed smile and rested a hand on her shoulder. "When was the last time you felt baby move?" Khaana asked. Tears leaked into the woman's eyes, "two weeks now." she said.

Khaana gently brushed the mother's hands away from her stomach and laid her palm on it. Khaana closed her eyes and spread out her fingers,  after a moment a smile came to Khaana's face. She could feel a little heartbeat through her fingertips. She turned her head to look at the mother. The woman gasped and grinned "I felt it kick!" she cheered, hugging her stomach once more, "Praise God, I felt it kick. oh hello little darling!" the mother cheered.

Khaana backed away, "I cannot say nothing has happened, but your child lives. For now, this village is safe. But I would see about getting to Winchester when you are able." Khaana advised. "bless you, Lady Messanger..." The woman said with a smile.

Meanwhile, Uhtred returned with Leofric and the soldiers from the field. "You might want to let the nuns see to your shoulder. I whipped you good." Uhtred boasted with a grin. "You hardly left a mark, Arseling," Leofric said. "You say that, but you're guarding that side," Uhtred added amused. The nuns have enough people to see to, a good night's sleep and a mug of ale is all I need and I'm brand new my sun up." said Leofric.

Uhtred crossed his arms and stopped walking "You do not want to go to the infirmary because Khaana is there. Does she scare you?" he asked. Leofric scoffed, "No, of course not. Just recalling how she used to be your mutt. the dog didn't seem to like me, so the woman just be the same. If she is holy, I'd rather give her her distance than face her ire." Leofric sighed.

Uhtred chuckled, It was funny to think of Khaana as holy, she was always just Khaana.

"Walking around calling her Lady doesn't help, she is Khaana. and she likes her name," Uhtred said. "Khaana is Pagan, I cannot call a holy messenger, a pagan name," Leofric said. Uhtred stopped walking and looked at the warrior amused. "Her name is Khaana, and she was Khaana before we pagans found her. She had been around for hundreds of years. It is her name that is all." Uhtred said, Leofric however did not look convinced. 

Uhtred shrugged "she still prefers to call you Urswine." He added with a shrug.

The Sky now burned as bright as a fire, Khaana sat atop the tavern roof, looking over the horizon, over the green valleys and forest out to the blue of the sea. The skies seemed calm, and she could only hope that, where ever Brida and Ragnar were now, that the seas were being kind to them. 

A long frown cut across Khaana's face, it was unnerving not having Brida with them. She imagined it was the sort of feeling one must go through after losing an arm or a leg. It should be there and so sometimes your mind still feels it there.  Khaana exhaled and listened to the merriment below her in the tavern. "stop your sulking" she told herself, "all will be right again...before you know it." 

In the Tavern, Uhtred laughed with Leofric, they took jabs at each other. But he was one of the only friendly faces around. "Is she gonna sit perched up there like a rooster the rest of the night?" Leofric asked. Uhtred grimaced "She might, it is not easy for her. For the past 12 or so years, it has been she, Brida, and I. Khaana has never let us wander from her sight, she protected us. It is more important to her now, keeping us safe. She'd spent a long time with Earl Ragnar and his family, It hurts her to fail people. I can see it, and now she feels as if she failed both Brida and Young Ragnar." Uhtred explained munching on a piece of bread.

"She raised you?" Leoric asked, Uhtred dropped the bred and flicked it across his plate, "In a way, She saved me from Earl Ragnar before I grew on him. My mother was never around, so I cannot say if she is like a mother. But, She is my family and she helped me grow and taught me what she could." Uhtred said, a lite smile formed on his face. "she used to sneak me extra food when I was a slave, gathering leftovers from the Danes and bringing them to Brida and I." Uhtred reminisced. 

He chuckled and looked up Leofric, "She even got Young Ragnar to help her, our father would scold him when he got caught. He wouldn't say that it was Khaana to influenced him because she would be punished for it. She would get this...smug look on her face as she watched the scolding he got." Uhtred went on. "and when it was cold, Khaana would let us curl up to her fur to stay warm. Thyra, my sister used to sneak out of her bed to cuddle up with the tree of us." Uhtred fell silent and sighed heavily.

"Khaana lost half of the people she was sworn to protect, and we who remain are divided. I think she sits up there to make sure if they come back...she will see the sails and she will have enough to figure out how to stop a fight. I cannot imagine she would be able to face Brida or Ragnar in battle. She may die first. Not that Ragnar would stand idle and see it done." Uhtred said.

The two men sat in silence for a while, Leofric left Uhtred to his thoughts, "I am tired, You should let someone see to your shoulder." Uhtred said, he downed the rest of his ale and got up from the table heading to his quarters.

--------------------------------------------------------

Night fell, unable to see the ocean through the darkness Khaana abandoned her perch carefully sliding down from the rooftop. Getting to her feet, she brushed the dust from her land off of her knees and hands. The Village was quiet now, it seemed almost everyone had gone home to find rest. 

Heading up the dirt path towards the small gate Khaana spotted Leofric sat upon a barrel. He was grumbling to himself, rubbing his shoulder. "Arseling's got a fair swing to his arm..." she caught him muttering. Khaana smirked, "Osberts learned to swing a sword from some of the most fearsome warriors I've ever seen." she said heading towards the muttering warrior. 

"You mistake was underestimating him," she added.

Leofric remained silent, He didn't know if it was safe to jest or not. Khaana eyed Leofric up and down and it made him uneasy, "weighing my soul?" He asked. Khaana laughed, "Nothing of the sort, your soul isn't any business of mine." She mused, but her eyes still scanned him.  "Osbert is growing to like you, He doesn't have anyone here in this place besides the old priest," Khaana said, a serious air surrounding her, but her words lent a tame tone. "Don't abuse that, use that. You serve the king, should I find out you are gaining his trust to betray my boy...nothing in heaven could save you from me." Khaana said.

Leofric scoffed briefly, "I've no intentions of betraying the arseling, Lady. Alfred doesn't need my help should he wish to do that. He's already started, after all." He said. Khaana grimaced and turned her eyes towards the gates, "So I gathered." she mumbled. 

"and so we are understood, you and I," Leofric added drawing back Khaana's attention, "I serve the kings men, but my sword and loyalty is to England, and her benefit. Betraying the arseling doesn't help her. We need a dane to understand the Danes. Making him mad would only send him back to them and that would not bode well for us." said Leofric.

Khaana eyes thinned, "Osbert's word is true to the end, no matter the fickleness of those who he has given it. He would no such thing." She said with pointed words. Leofric chuckled "I knew that when I stood and watched him see off the sails." Leofric said.

Khaana turned her whole body to face him, folding her arms across her chest she glared, "Then what did you mean?" she asked. "Nothing, just a tired man trying to answer a mother bear." He said. Khaana scowled and looked away "Urswine..." she muttered. Leofric chuckled more, "So the boy is right, you aren't so formal." he said.

"course not, I spent my time among the Danes, there is no pretending and grandstanding among them. You speak what you mean, and you do it with honest respect or you don't but know you might need to build a square." Khaana said. "Build a square? what does that mean?" Leofric asked.

"A duel, in a square would be the easiest way to explain it." Khaana said.

"To the death?" Leofric asked. Khaana shrugged "Depends on the offense, and how much your opponent disliked you. If you die...the challenger gets everything you own. so, yes a lot of the time it was to the death. But not always, the Danes are more forgiving than they are painted to be." Khaana said.

"I will believe that when I see it." Leofric snorted.

Khaana gave him a dry sideways glance, "they've shown me more kindness than any Saxon ever has. I have been whipped...once or twice by a Dane. more recently humiliated but Ubba is...not what he should be. he is a poor example of who they are." Khaana said with a long sigh, "But I have been starved, taunted, hobbled, and now burned by Saxons. Out of fear and distrust." Khaana gave a bitter smile and looked towards Leofric "whereas the Danes have largely taken me at my word and deed. I fed them a story, showed them my ability, and was welcomed. Just the same as they took in two small Saxon children and made sure they were fed, clothed, and well...in exchange for working. tending the horses, goats, cows, pigs, and fields and let to play with the other children." She said.

Leofric shook his head, "then I can see why we don't come across as much to you. Though I admit...it is funny to see the king squirm at the mention of you. Word is he goes to repent far more often." Leofric chuckled, rubbing his shoulder.

Khaana watched him carefully, "You've no intent on ill will against, Osbert?" she asked. Leofric shook his head "Hardly, unless he is on the opposite end of the field with his sword drawn against me," Leofric tilted his head and shrugged "then I'm going to take the arselings head." he admitted.

"Fair enough, you could try," Khaana hummed walking around the barrel to stand behind him. "and then I would take you head before the stroke fell... your body could serve as a nice Urswine rug for Osbert's hall when he takes back what is his." Khaana mused with a smirk.

Leofric shuddered as warm fingertips touched his shoulder. "Lady?" he questioned. "don't flatter yourself." Khaana said in a titter. "Your shoulder is bruised, If I am not going to be out there while Osbert is helping you train your soldiers, I need you able to step in unhindered should they feel the need to try him," Khaana said.

She reached into her satchel and pulled out a bit of the salve she had saved, she rubbed it into his shoulder, Leofric winced slightly as it was hardly gentle. "Stop squirming, I need to get it into the muscle," she muttered.

"You're more than welcome to continue to sit out in the fields, Lady." Leofric offered. Khaana scoffed. "sitting is dull." she said with a smirk. Leofric looked over his shoulder "You mean to say you fight?" he asked. Khaana made him turn back around and started to wrap his shoulder in order to give it support. " I was one of three who taught Osbert. I taught him to be quick." She said, "I taught Brida everything. you are lucky she had not the time to toss an ax to your back." Khaana chuckled.

Leofric laughed, "I would like to see the look on one of my men's faces should they get knocked over by a woman." he said. Khaana smacked the back of his head, "Danes and their kinsmen have had their women fight with them for ages as have many other peoples." Khaana muttered begrudginly. 

"You want to join us? I doubt you'll ever see a real battle, but I don't see the harm in just practices." Leofric said. "You men wouldn't come two feet of me for fear of hitting a woman." Khaana said. "no they wouldn't unless they saw she could very well hold her own." He said, "and I don't look forward to having to spot blows for you." He added.

"I don't need protection," Khaana said, finishing his shoulder she stepped away from him. Leofric circled his shoulder and sighed, it felt loads better. He nodded to the wrappings "because you've helped me with this. Suppose I spar with you if you survive it alright. we may let you out in the mock battles every once and a while." He said.

Khaana smirked, "You'll regret it." She hummed, turning to leave and find some rest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 661 38
A long time ago when the cold blooded King and the shape shifter King had made peace with each other having hunters as the common enemy. Shane, Lydia...
4K 213 14
When Signe was young, Earl Ragnar banished her father Kjartan and half-brother Sven from his land. But instead of condemning her to the same fate, he...
4.9K 116 24
Redinfel was raised in Craven, in Northumbria. Born to a Saxon woman, but raised by Danes. Her father and brother were killed by the bastard son of U...
2.5K 195 43
Book 1 A Legend Of Blood And Love - An abandoned frail boy left to die in the forest of Jรธrrghimmyer was found by the Kรฆl prince Siftrethรถrn who carr...