Honesty - Criminal Minds || S...

bekah-x tarafından

{Book One} COMPLETED - SPOILERS PRIOR TO SEASON 12 The BAU were not ready for the arrival of Aaron's Hotchne... Daha Fazla

POV Titles.
Prologue
1. Agent Brenda Melanie Joyner
2. Team
3. Digging The Dirt
4. Skin
5. Swallowing Your Pride
6. CH3CH2OH
7. Carpe Diem
8. Out With It
9. What You Waiting For?
10. Competition
11. Act Normal
12. Blame It On Me
13. The Winning Move
14. Life Support
16. We're the FBI
17. What Makes You Beautiful
18. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
19. Beside Every Great Man Is A Great Woman
20. From Past To Present
21. What's Meant To Be Will Be
22. Gratitude
23. The Gift of Love
24. Proximity
25. Inseparable
26. Reconciliation
27. What's Mine Is Yours
28. It Can Happen To Anyone
29. Overview
30. Reach Out Your Hand
31. This Time It's Personal
32. It's All About The Impact
33. Take Me To Church
34. It's Better Late Than Never
35. Sheer Perfection
36. Feel My Pain
37. Small Bump
38. Hold Me Closer
39. What Is The Right Thing?
40. Arrivederci

15. Wake Up and Smell the Coffee

24.5K 340 359
bekah-x tarafından

"When you do what you fear most, then you can do anything." ~ Stephen Richards

The Daughter

Once Beth and I had collected some of my stuff from my apartment, Aaron went to work at the BAU and I made myself at home in the spare bedroom of the new house; making it my own considering Beth didn't have plans to let me go back home anytime soon.

I must have fallen asleep at some point, because the sound of the doorbell ringing in the distance awoke me in a sleepy stupor, snuggling beneath a blanket I hadn't remembered covering myself in beforehand.

I rolled onto my back, wincing as I pressed down on my bruises. I sighed heavily before wincing again as the pressure pinched at my strained and weak lungs.

"Melanie sweetheart." Beth's voice sounded from the other side of my bedroom door and a few light knocks were planted on my door. She cracked it open and I smiled broadly as her petite face peered through the crack.

"C'mon in." I smiled sleepily.
"You have a visitor," She grinned with a sparkle in her eyes. I smiled curiously as she stepped properly inside the room, opening the door fully.

"H-hi." Spencer stuttered with a small and nervous smile, appearing in my bedroom doorway with his hands awkwardly behind his back.

"Spence!" I grinned in surprise, sitting up slowly on my bed, folding my legs and patting my mattress beside me.

"What're you doing here?" I asked happily. "Shouldn't you be with the team?"

"A-actually, Strauss' orders were that I'm not allowed back in the field for another forty eight hours at least," He smiled broadly at me. 

"Apparently I'm not well enough either and I'm a liability to the team in my condition."
"You're not well enough?" I gasped. "Why what's happened? Are you alright?" I panicked, watching him with wide eyes as he crossed my room awkwardly, standing next to my bed facing me entirely.

Beth chuckled from beside the door and I turned to her with questioning eyes.

"I'll let you explain it to her," She said to Spencer with a grin. "I'm heading to the store with Jack to get some things in. D'you need anything?" She asked and my eyes narrowed into slits. She chuckled and put her palms in the air.

"Honestly, Spencer caught me almost on my way out the door." I rolled my eyes with a smile and shook my head.
"I'm okay thanks."
"Alright well I'll see you when we're back. Good to see you again Spencer."

He said goodbye and she smiled at me broadly, her eyes twinkling as she ducked back out of the room, closing the door behind her.

I turned to Spencer with questioning eyes.
"Okay, I know I'm just awake but I'm seriously missing something here." I said, running my hands over my face to clear it.

He smiled and shifted his weight on his feet awkwardly before sighing and producing a bunch of bright yellow sunflowers from behind his back with a broad smile.

"These are for you," He smiled. "I saw them and thought of you." He insisted. My mouth parted but no words came.

I accepted the bunch of my favourite flowers and got to my feet, throwing my arms around him in a spontaneous hug.

"They're gorgeous Spencer," I told him truthfully, a little emotionally. "I love them," I told him, kissing his cheek as I pulled away and observed the bunch.

"But how did you know they were my favourites?" I asked and he looked at me blankly.

"T-they're you're favourites?" He asked and I smiled, nodding my head excitedly.

"I didn't know," He said honestly. "I just thought I'd surprise you, and I was passing the florist and I saw these and I just thought of you." He told me truthfully with a shrug.

"That's so sweet, Spence," I cooed, taking his hand in mine. "Thank you so much. They've definitely cheered me up." I told him.

He grinned broadly at me and we stood there like that for a moment, grinning like idiots at each other with a bunch of sunflowers separating us.

"Just in case you're wondering," He broke the silence and cleared his throat. "I might get a few calls from Garcia. I've to work the case, just from the office by her side," He said and a blush crept onto his cheeks. 

"She's just letting me work the case from your side instead." I cooed again and reached up to kiss his cheek again.

"You're my favourite person, ever." I told him with a grin as we left my room with the sunflowers.

The Doctor

I touched my cheek to the place her lips had brushed my skin twice in the space of five minutes. I watched her leave the room with her flowers and a matching grin. 

It took me a few moments to realise I was supposed to follow her, and rushed out of the door along with my satchel still strapped across my body.

*

Once we were downstairs Mel fixed the flowers into a vase of water and explained how she'd have Beth carry them upstairs for her later.

We headed inside the living room after making coffee and breathlessly sat down on the sofa.

"This'll pass soon," I explained. "Once your bruises fade your breathing should be back to normal and I'll be fine in a couple of days."

"I can't wait," She told me and I looked at her with questioning eyes. "I hate being the patient," She explained as we took a seat on opposite sides of the same sofa, turning to face each other so we could see each other properly.

"I'm better off looking after people than what I am being looked after." 

I scoffed and shook my head.
"You are definitely Hotch's daughter alright."

After a while of talking about Hotch and the way the team was before Melanie, we decided to put watch some TV. It was simple, something basic and boring anybody would do.

"I've seen this one," Mel claimed as we settled for a comedy show. It was nothing big, just one of those basic dry-humour shows. "It's good." She nodded and settled into the back of the sofa, pulling her legs up and resting her feet on the edge, wrapping her arms around her knees.

She was right; it was good. But I couldn't say exactly how good, because I was too distracted by Melanie, zoned in completely on the show despite the fact she already knew what was going to happen.

The closing credits were rolling when my phone began to ring. I jumped, blinking away from Melanie's face as she turned to me and muted the TV.

I grabbed my satchel from the floor by my feet and removed my cell from the front pouch.

"Reid." I answered in a detached and thick tone.
"You're in a conference call with Hotch and the team," Garcia's voice announced in a warning tone and I placed my finger over my lips to Melanie, telling her to stay quiet.

She mimed zipping her lips closed and locking them, throwing away the key as I grinned at her and focused on what Garcia was saying.

"I explained to Hotch you weren't feeling too good. How are you now pumpkin?" I cleared my throat and faked a yawn.

"Better now I've had a nap." I lied as Mel covered her mouth to conceal laughter.

"That's great Reid, we need you to work a geographical profile," Morgan's voice told me. "Garcia will email you the info but we need it ASAP it's pretty urgent."
"Alright," I sighed, pulling my things from my bag and crouching down on my knees as I placed everything out on the coffee table. "Fill me in."

The Daughter

The phone-call ended after a few minutes and I passed my already powered-on laptop from the side of the sofa, signing out of my email so he could use his own.

"It's better than a small phone screen." I shrugged when he looked at me questioningly.

"Thanks..." He smiled gratefully, typing in his user and password.
"Coffee?" I offered and he bit his lip, scanning the email with hurried eyes as he nodded his head.
"Please."

I got to my feet and left the living room, my heart pounding in anticipation. 

Was he going to work the case from the living room? How long would that take? Would he be here the whole night? Would he ever leave? 

I smiled at my silly thoughts and poured the coffee into the cup.

"Spence how many sugars?" I called into the living room.
"Six please!" He answered back. I almost choked in shock as I spooned the granules into the coffee and stirred, including milk before heading back into the living room.

"How can I help?"

*

"Mel, we're home!" Beth called and a moment later Jack came running into the living room.

"Spencer!" He called. I grabbed Jack in my arms before he could jump on Spencer and steered him out of the living room, away from Spencer, my laptop and the photos we'd had printed.

"We're working on the case." I explained to Beth as the three of us entered the kitchen.
"Oh we?" She echoed and I rolled my eyes with a smile.
"Did you see these?" I grinned, gesturing to the sunflowers.

"They're pretty." Jack grinned and I nodded, smelling the sweet scent.
"I thought it was a very thoughtful and sweet gesture." Beth cooed as she filled the fridge with the things she'd bought at the store.

"Do you mind if Spencer and I work in the living room? It's just the stairs proved to be difficult." I chuckled and Beth scoffed, waving a hand at me.

"Of course I don't mind, not in the slightest. Jack and I can just go upstairs to the den sure we can?" She grinned and Jack cheered excitedly.

"Will Spencer be staying for dinner?" Beth asked and I glanced at the clock on the wall. Technically, 'dinner time' was two hours ago.

"I'm not sure. He's pretty much into the work right now. But I'll ask." I felt like a teenager all over again.

But I loved it.

"Alright, well I'm calling pizza so tell me your order and you guys can share." I stared at her with a broad smile for a moment too long before throwing my arms around her.

"Thank you, Beth," I said emotionally. "For everything. Really."

*

I jolted awake to the noise of Spencer's phone ringing, the pair of us grunting in shock and groaning as we realised we were both being rudely awoken.

Darkness was well and truly all around us and the stench of pizza still hung in the air from hours ago. I was still snuggly warm in the blanket Spencer had wrapped around me, only now he was around me too.

He seemed to realise in the same instance that I did and jolted into a sitting position, snatching his phone off the coffee table while rubbing his eyes. 

I bit my lip and sat up far slower, committing to memory the feeling of his body shaped around mine like it had been only moments previous.

His cheeks were still a few shades darker than usual as he ended the call and turned to the map of the profile we had spread out on the table.

"Have they still not ended this?" I yawned and he shook his head.

"It's not going to be a quick one." He explained, clearly enchanted with his work. I nodded my head despite the fact he couldn't see it and sat back on the sofa, allowing my head to rest back.

The Doctor

My cheeks were still heated when I heard her breathing change again from next to me. I glanced over to see her peacefully asleep with her head lolled back awkwardly. Frowning I knew she couldn't be comfortable like that.

Biting my lip I tried to move her so her head was resting against the arm of the sofa, but that would only make her more uncomfortable and twisted. 

Sighing I pulled her over my lap and brought her legs up onto the sofa. She instantly sighed and curled into a kitten-ball on her side; still sprawled across my lap.

Knowing I couldn't leave her like that while I worked, I delicately lifted her head and slid out from under her, taking a seat on the floor and covering her properly again with the blanket.

I sighed as I watched her in peaceful slumber; remembering perfectly how warm she'd felt curled around me.

I shook my head and turned back to the profile, knowing no time could be wasted.

*

The sun had just come up and no, I didn't want to leave Melanie, but I had no choice. I needed Garcia's help and I couldn't get it properly over the phone.

So, I did the brave thing and I left. I packed up all my things, wrote a note and left without waking anybody up.

Guilt followed me all the way to BAU and almost swallowed me whole when I showed up in Garcia's office.

"Spencer Reid what're you doing here?! You should be wooing your woman not showing your unshaven face in here!" I rolled my eyes at her usual drama-queen-ness and took a seat next to her desk, passing her the things from my satchel.

"I need you to fax this to the team ASAP." I told her without answering any of her previous jibes.

The Daughter

"Melanie, wake up lazy." Jack's voice awoke me as he sung in my ear. I groaned and tried to roll over but found myself hitting the back of the sofa.

Frowning I peeled my eyes open and came face-to-face with the back of the sofa cushions. I jolted upright suddenly, making Jack jump in surprise.

"Spencer left you this," He said, waving a note at me. "But Dad always told me not to read other people's things." He frowned and I rubbed at my forehead.

"Jack!" Beth whisper-shouted. "No, c'mon I told you just let Mel slee-" Beth trailed off as she realised she was too late and I was already awake.

"Spencer's gone?" I questioned, turning to the coffee table to see it cleared of his things and my laptop turned off and replaced at the side of the sofa again.

I took the note gently from Jack, frowning as Beth removed him from the living room quietly, knowing I was still sleepy and confused.

Melanie, sorry I didn't wake you before I left but you need to rest up so you can get better again and I have to present my findings to the team. I'll call you later and maybe we could go for some coffee? 
P.S. You should try a cup of warm milk before you sleep, it prevents sleep talking.
Spencer x

I smiled at the thought of Spencer and I in a cafe together drinking coffee, as an actual couple.

But then I paused; were we even an actual couple?

I sighed as I realised I didn't actually know the real answer to that question.

"What're you smiling so broadly at?" Beth grinned as she entered the living room. "Is that your first love-note from Spencer?" I blushed and hurried to fold the note back up again.

"I'm not sure..." I admitted, nibbling on my bottom lip.
"What d'you mean?" She asked gently, setting the cup of coffee down on the coffee table in front of me.
"I'm not sure what's going on between us..."

"I'm ready now Beth!" Jack's little voice called from the hall.
"Damn," Beth cursed with a smile. "School run," She sighed with a smile. "I'll be back in twenty, then we can talk." She promised and I smiled up at her with a nod.

"Have a good day Captain Sparrow!" I called and I grinned as I heard Jack's laughter from the hallway.
"You too superwoman!" I paused with a surprised smile as he called me a new nickname for the first time ever.

It was actually kind of adorable.

I took my coffee upstairs, taking it one step at a time before realising I didn't actually need to; my breathing was already vastly improving. I grinned as I realised that the cream really was helping my bruises, and in turn that was helping my breathing; just like Spencer said.

I took a clean set of clothes into the bathroom and stared at my reflection in the mirror, at the fading green bruises and grinned. Things were slowly but surely getting better.

*

"Alright superwoman!" Beth called and the front door closed behind her.
"I'm in the kitchen!" I called around a mouthful of toast, my hair still wrapped in a towel.

"So where were we?" She asked as she entered the kitchen. She crossed to the coffee pot and poured herself some coffee, taking a seat at the breakfast bar opposite me.

I shrugged and sighed as I finished my toast.
"Really there's nothing much to say," I admitted. "I'm just not sure where Spencer and I stand," I admitted truthfully. "I mean, we kind've admitted that we like each other when we were trapped in the room, but..." I sighed. "I'm not used to relationships... or trying... It's just... I don't know what's going on between us."

Beth sighed and shook her head.
"Ah young love," She sighed. "If there's one thing I've learned, Mel," She told me sternly. "Is that when someone admits they like you, they tend to be telling the truth," She told me. 

"And life's far too short to be spending your time with the people who don't like you when there are those out there who have admitted that they do."

The Doctor

I was onto my fourth cup of coffee when Melanie called.

"Hi," I grinned into my phone like an idiot. "I was just about to call you."

"Liar," She answered without missing a heartbeat. I sniggered and I heard her do the same. "So when are we going for this coffee?"

I looked at my watch after balancing my phone between my ear and my shoulder and pushing through the door along the corridor to Garcia's office.

"I could be at yours in an hour?" I offered as I entered Garcia's office causing her to spin around to face me immediately with a massive grin.

I rolled my eyes at her with a bashful expression and continued listening to Melanie as she said,

"Sure an hour sounds great. Don't tell Beth... But I'm taking my car."
"Why would you tell me that?" I blurted a pitch higher. "You're still not completely better and you're expecting me to be okay with you driving?"

"Do you want to walk all the way into town and back?"

I couldn't really answer that could I?

"Thought not," She answered after a pause. I could practically hear her smile and that made me smile too.

I ignored Garcia's pressing grin and turned my face away as I blushed.

"Listen, I'll distract Beth and pick you up in an hour."
"What?" I blurted. "No, that's okay, I'll come to you."
"Spence I insist. It's better for you if I pick you up. How d'you expect to get better if you insist on taking the metro and running around everywhere?"

I opened my mouth but she continued without pausing for my reply.

"No arguing, I insist. I'll see you in an hour." She hung up before I could protest and I stared at my phone.

"Spencer and Melanie sitting in a tree-"
"Oh be quiet." I groaned with a smile at Garcia and she laughed hysterically, jabbing my sides with the end of her fluffy pink pen.

"You like her," She sung. "You want to kiss her." I blushed to the max and covered her mouth with my hand.

"Garcia I'm saying this because I consider you to be a good friend and I respect you hugely. But I am a federal agent which means I carry a gun and know how to use it. Please do not push me to the brink of desperation whereby I will be forced to use said gun."

She looked at me and winked before nodding her head. Slowly I pulled my hand away and she grinned at me before turning back to her screens.

The Daughter

"You want me to make an appointment for you sweetie?" Beth asked, combing her fingers through the roots of my hair as I sat at her dresser, groaning at my reflection.

"I'm not too sure," I explained. "I'm kind of liking the look of the brown coming through again..." I admitted sheepishly.

"Really?" She asked and I turned around to face her properly while nodding.

"When everything happened in New York I was forced to change everything about myself and destroy everything I was used to. Including my hair. I used to have long brown curls and now I have short straggling blonde frizzes. I miss it." Beth mhmmed as she combed her fingers back through my hair.

"I think you look a lot like your mother with blonde hair," She decided and I groaned. "Don't be like that," She smiled softly. "Your mother was an incredible woman from what I can gather. I never met her but you should still be proud." I sighed emphatically and rolled my eyes.

"You never met her? At least that makes two of us," Beth looked at me apologetically but I shook my head, dismissing it. "Maybe I'll look more like Aaron with my natural hair colour." I suggested and Beth grinned.
"Now that I'd love to see."

Once Beth made an appointment for the following day, I finished getting ready and she observed me from the bedroom doorway. Jack was back at school today, and she was due to go pick him up any minute.

"So where's Spencer taking you?" She asked randomly and I halted with the bottle of perfume half-drawn from my body.

"W-w-what're you talking about?" I stuttered, cursing myself as I realised Spencer done the exact same thing when he was nervous or hiding something or lying or doing all of the above.

"Well, you made a suspicious phone-call earlier and I heard you mentioning a pick up time and my name... You've been smiling like a maniac since then, and now you're perfecting your clothes and hair and even applying perfume. That is extremely uncharacteristic of you." I smiled and shook my head in awe.

"Are you sure you're not a profiler?" She chuckled and took a seat on the bottom of my bed.

"So?" She prodded. "Where's he taking you?" There was another pause before she added, "Or where are you taking him?" I sighed and shook my head.

"I'm taking my car because neither of us are fit enough to walk or take the bus or metro. And we're only going for coffee." Beth hmmed thoughtfully and stared off into the distance dramatically.

"I still remember the fine evening Aaron took me for a coffee... I still can't find those tights." I winced and groaned before laughing and shaking my head.

"It's not like that with Spence. He's adorable and I really really like him, but he's not that way inclined. He's not about to drag me to the bedroom because we got a coffee together. He's a gentleman."

"Oh and your father isn't?" Beth joked.
"I know for a fact that Aaron did not jump into bed with you after taking you for coffee on one of your first dates. He's a hopeless romantic no way would he have done that." Beth chuckled and nodded her head.

"You're right... Of course," She scoffed and tucked my hair behind my ear. "I hope you have a great time," She told me with an honest smile. "You and Spencer are good for each other. He's a wonderful man." I nodded my head in total agreement.

I smiled emotionally.

"Thank you, Beth. That means a lot."

The Doctor

By the time Melanie picked me up, the team were no further forward than what they were that morning. The geographical profile had helped, as had Melanie's help the previous night.

But nothing was as good as actually being there and experiencing it first hand. I couldn't wait for Melanie and I to get well enough again so we could return to the field. These long-drawn-out cases were the bane of my life.

"Good afternoon." Melanie smiled as I climbed into her car.
"Good afternoon," I repeated with a broad smile. I didn't really know what to do.

Do I kiss her? Do I kiss her cheek? Do I take her hand in mine? Would I then kiss it?

Before I knew what I was doing I'd reached across the console and took her hand in mine and brought it to my mouth, kissing it lightly before replacing it back on her thigh where it had been.

"You look so much better today, how are you feeling?" I cleared my throat to divert the attention from the gesture I'd just made. 

I felt awkward and silly and completely out of my league. 

I mean, who the Hell was I kidding?

My boss' daughter?!

I shuddered at the thought but Melanie was talking, and grinning, and driving, and looking wonderful, and smelling amazing, and dressed like a ray of sunshine.

She was wearing makeup again today. That was a good sign for her wasn't it?

I focused on her lips; tried to concentrate on the words she was actually saying. 

This didn't help and I subsequently got distracted by the wonderful shape of her mouth; the memory of our lips ghosting against each other; the way my name looked and sounded coming from her lips; the taste of them on mine...

"Spence?" Melanie repeated for what I feared wasn't the first time and I blinked immediately to her eyes, clearing mine abruptly as well as my throat, trying to recall the words she'd spoken.

"That's good that the bruises are clearing. The cream must've really helped?"

"Oh it's a godsend! You were right about the bruising. It's fading and already I feel a huge difference."

"Yeah but you don't want to rush into anything, Melly," I said sternly with a caring tone. "The last thing you want is to push yourself too far."

"What? Like you're doing just now by being back at work already?" I looked over at her and smirked. 

"Touché," I laughed. "You're better at this reasoning stuff than I am," I told her truthfully. "And even that's saying something."

*

There was a vintage looking Parisian style cafe just around the corner from Quantico and when we pulled up it was pretty empty inside. I ordered two large lattes and a couple croissants while Melanie chose a black metal porch-style table in the corner at the very back of the shop. That meant only one thing.

'She wanted to talk'.

"One caramel latte and toasted croissant madame." I smiled as I set her things in front of her on the table followed by my own.

"Merci beaucoup monsieur." She replied without missing a beat and my eyebrows arched.

"Either you're fantastic at improvisation or you know how to speak French." She blushed as she sipped at her burning latte.

"I know dribs and drabs," She admitted modestly. "I just remember the basics pretty clearly." She shrugged and I smiled.
"That's amazing," I told her. "I know languages I just can't speak them." I admitted.

"Maybe I can teach you some French one day then," She suggested and I grinned, nodding my head. "It's all in the accent." She whispered, tapping her nose as though it was top secret. I leaned forward nodding my head in understanding.

"Say no more." I whispered, touching my nose too.

We were interrupted by my phone ringing and I answered it after checking Hotch's ID.

"Hi Hotch." I answered and Melanie's eyes flew wide in panic.
"Reid we know who he is. Bryan Matthers, the janitor. We're on our way to pick him up right now and then we should be back."

"That's excellent! Keep me posted."
"Will do." The line went dead as the team prepped for an arrest and Melanie sighed emphatically, leaning back on her chair.

"Is it mad that I kinda wish I was there?" She sighed, nibbling on her croissant.

"No," I told her truthfully, shaking my head. "It's not mad at all. In fact quite the contrary. Our bodies are so programmed to what we do, our minds aren't used to when we break the cycle. Like Rossi for example, he refused twenty four of his thirty annual holidays. He claimed that when he isn't working, he has writers block and can't get anything else done. 

"So naturally, your body is telling you it wants to go back out in the field because that's what it's used to and that's what it craves. But these things take time. Your body would be telling you to go back home right now if you were in the field considering it hasn't entirely healed yet."

Melanie nodded her head in understanding, listening intently to every word I said.

"That makes a lot of sense," She said in a passive tone. "I suppose I never really thought of it like that," She admitted. "But Rossi? Rejecting holiday leave? What is he, insane?" I chuckled and shrugged.

"It's actually kind of nice. He got Garcia to transfer them to the agents with relatives in the armed forces." Melanie cooed and I nodded my head with a broad smile, biting into my croissant as Melanie done the same.

The Daughter

We chatted for what felt like forever in the little cafe until Spencer's phone rang again and Hotch explained they couldn't find the Unsub and feared he'd already fled the city. This meant they wouldn't be home for at least another day until they tracked him down and got a confession out of him.

"Spence..." I didn't know how to approach the subject without being too blunt or dismissive towards the case.

But this was something we had to talk about. Even if it wasn't something I'd ever done before, this wasn't ever something I'd had to do before.

No guys came near me at school, I was always that one kid obsessed with the FBI. Nobody really saw me in that kind of way.

Until New York, I hadn't been in a properly committing relationship. And even that wasn't altogether smooth.

"About..." I took a deep breath. "Us..." I released the breath in a gush and looked up at him from my empty coffee cup. "I'm a little unsure of what we actually are..." I admitted sheepishly with a deep blush.

Spencer cleared his throat and shifted in his seat.
"I feel the same." He admitted just as bashfully and I chuckled nervously before pausing.

"I mean, are we willing to make a proper go of this?" I asked him curiously and his snapped up immediately, his eyes staring into mine.

"A proper go of what?" He asked quietly. "O-of us?" He stuttered and licked his lips. "Being together?" I nodded my head and he smiled.
"I'm willing to, yes." He agreed and I grinned from ear-to-ear.

"Really?" I asked in a pitch far higher than my own. I cleared my throat, blinking away from his face as he smiled broadly and I blushed. 

"I mean..." What did I mean, exactly? 

"I-I think I'd like making a proper go of it," I admitted shyly. "I think after everything we've been through... We should at least try it..." I didn't know what I was saying anymore and trailed off into a heated bout of silence.

"I think that would be good for the both of us," Spencer agreed in a far calmer tone. I looked up at him shyly to find him smiling down at his cup of coffee, a definite blush on his cheeks too. 

"It'll be difficult with work and the team, but at least we'll be spending a lot of time with each other," He reasoned. "The BAU tends to get in between most relationships. So an inside one shall be interesting." He admitted and I blushed.

Were we really going to do this?

"So is this like our first date then?" I asked and Spencer chuckled.
"Not entirely the best." He said and I shook my head.
"Not at all," I told him truthfully. "Coffee and croissants in a French cafe with you?" I scoffed. "C'mon what's not to love about that?" Spencer scoffed and blushed and I laughed.

"Well why don't we make our second date tomorrow?" I asked sheepishly. "I have an appointment tomorrow morning just around the corner. I could pick you up at lunchtime and I could get us some lunch. Maybe by then the team will be wrapping things up in Dallas." Spencer looked at me with a massive grin.
"Sounds great."

The Leader

I ended the call and frowned down at my phone.
"What's up man?" Morgan asked and I turned to him, still bearing my frown.
"I'm not sure." I admitted.
"Is it Melanie?" He asked worriedly and I sighed.
"She's... I don't know," I sighed emphatically and shook my head. "I'm probably being paranoid." I concluded.
"Nah man, whatever it is, you're probably right to feel that way. Has something happened?" I shook my head.

"I'm not sure. She's being overtly happy and enthusiastic. She's telling us not to rush home and to take our time and make sure we catch the right guy..." I paused. "Strange wording... And she's too happy with the possibility of us being another couple of days." Morgan frowned, clearly not understanding why I'm being so paranoid about my daughter telling me not to rush home.

"Well she gets the job, man. It's good she's understanding," He reasoned. "But she's probably just feeling better. There's most likely nothing too serious to worry about." I nodded my head and sighed.

"You're right... I'm just worried. I'm not used to being a father to someone old enough to drink." Morgan chuckled and clamped a hand down on my shoulder.

"Now there's something you don't have to worry about. After last time, Melanie would almost-never drink on a school-night, work or no work. She's like Reid." Morgan laughed and shook his head at his joke, leaving the room chuckling away.

But I couldn't help but feel there was an air of truth in Morgan's words. Melanie was like Reid. And I was only now beginning to see the similarities.

The image of the pair of them kissing together in Melanie's hospital room flashed before my eyes and I shuddered.

Reid was a close friend as well as a colleague. We'd worked together for almost twelve years. But Melanie was my daughter. I barely knew her and only met her several months ago, but she was still my daughter; my responsibility in one way or another.

That still meant she had to be protected, and I wasn't altogether sure if Spencer Reid was the perfect candidate for Melanie's heart. 

Kiss or no kiss.

The Doctor

"Jeez you're bouncy, how many cups of that have you had today?" Garcia nodded to my cup of coffee and I frowned.

"This is only my second..." I said defensively. "And I'm not bouncy, what're you talking about?"

"Ahhh," She sighed, twirling on her chair and pointing the end of her feather-pink pen at my face. "You're seeing Melanie again today aren't you?" She guessed and my jaw dropped.

"What?" I gasped. "N-n-no of c-course not, what're you talking about? Where'd you get that from?" Garcia chuckled manically and twirled a whole circle in her chair.

"You're seeing Melanie," She sung. "You're seeing Melanie!" I groaned and rolled my eyes, finishing my coffee and setting my mug down on the desk beside me.

"You can think whatever you want but it's now my lunch-break so if you don't mind, I'm taking it now." I pushed off the desk but she wheeled her chair to a stop in front of me.

"Oh I don't think so lover-boy. I want you to admit that the reason you're wearing your fancy cardigan and matching tie is because you're seeing a certain lady-friend and if need be I shall call her immediately and ask her herself." I blinked rapidly at her face and groaned.

"Fine, okay, whatever, I'm seeing Melanie for lunch but that doesn't mean anything so if you don't mind I'll be going now."

"Oh," She cooed. "You're all bashful, look at your pretty-little-face," She cooed. "Well I think it's adorable," She said before I could leave the room. "You and Melanie would be great together." I closed the door behind me but waited there for a silent moment or two, hearing her words again.

I found myself smiling all the way down to the parking lot.

The Daughter

At first he didn't recognise me.

I spotted him instantly. Wearing his navy cardigan trimmed with beige, a beige and red striped shirt and a navy tie with black trousers and converse.

He looked so adorable as usual and his hair was blowing all about the place with the slight breeze.

But of course he wouldn't recognise me. He spotted the car and began walking forwards, slowly at first because of course I didn't look like the Melanie he was used to seeing.

But then he realised I was grinning at him, and when recognition dawned and he started laughing I did too, and waved to confirm it was actually me.

"I thought you might've been Beth!" He laughed as he climbed into the car. "Wow," He gushed, twisting to look at me better in his seat. "Look at you!" He said and I blushed, running my fingers through the ends of my hair while nodding. "You look beautiful." He told me, leaning across the console to kiss my cheek.

This didn't do anything for my complexion as I continued to blush.
"It's a bit of a change," I said in a deep voice. "But I thought I'd go back to brown," I admitted. "It was my usual colour and I was getting sick of blonde."

Spencer nodded, the whole time grinning at me widely.

"Well, if it makes any difference," He said with a slight smirk. "I have a thing for brunettes." He added with a wider smirk, leaning forwards and whispering. I started laughed and peeled out of the parking space I was in.

*

I'd taken the liberty of booking us a table at a nearby restaurant. Nothing too fancy, as neither of us were dressed entirely for the part. Spencer was as always smart enough, but I wasn't exactly used to dressing up. Just my usual jeans and a nice blouse was my attire for the day. But my makeup and hair was my formality as we entered the restaurant.

"So how's the case coming along?" I asked as we scanned the menu.
"Good," Spencer nodded. "They're interrogating him as we speak. Should have a confession by the end of lunchtime and home for supper." I gave a small chuckle and smiled.

"Well that's good then."
"Yeah," Spencer nodded. "Until the next case." I mhmmed in agreement before the waitress came over and we placed our orders.

Over lunch we spoke about my change in hair, and Spencer told me I looked so much like Aaron; which actually made me smile. Growing up my grandparents didn't really tell me much about my dad, and so having Spencer sit there explaining how similar I was to him; it was a real boost for me. It made me feel like I finally came from someone.

"Garcia knows about this," Spencer explained while chewing on his lip. We'd finished lunch and were just waiting on the bill. "She guessed before I'd even left her office." He told me.
"Really?" I asked and shook my head in awe with a smile. "I guess working with profilers kind of rubs off." I shrugged in reasoning.

"She was asking questions when I came back from coffee yesterday too. Apparently I 'smelled like a girl'." He frowned in confusion and I laughed.

"Sorry," I apologised. "I guess that perfume was a little too overpowering."
"Not at all." Spencer claimed, shaking his head with a small smile. 

We sat there like that for a long and silent moment, just watching each other happily.

"So what're you going to tell Garcia when you get back today...?" I asked quietly and he sighed.

"Well she already knows I'm at lunch with you right now." He explained softly.

"Is she going to tell the rest of the team do you think?" I prodded and Spencer frowned questioningly.

"I'm not sure..." He said slowly, narrowing his eyes. "What makes you ask?"

"I-I don't know," I stuttered. "I just think it'd maybe be best for now if we just keep us... between us..." I shrugged. "Maybe that way we won't be pressured or anything by the team. You know what they can be like." Spencer was full-on frowning now and I instantly regretted my words.

"Why would you not want to tell the team? They're going to find out eventually if we're going to make a proper go of us. I-I-I mean you're my g-girlfriend Melanie and they're profilers, they'll figure us out in two seconds."

My heart leapt at the g-word but I carried on nevertheless.

"I know but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll say something about it. If we maybe keep quiet and progress how we see fit, then maybe we won't feel pressured by them. That's all I'm saying."

"I don't get it," Spencer laughed without humour, his frown still there as soon as he stopped. "Are you ashamed of me or something? Do you not want anyone to know we're together? Are you afraid of what your father - our boss - might say?!"

I opened my mouth to answer just as the waitress was approaching and Spencer snatched his satchel from the floor. "You know what, forget it, I have to get back." He shoved out from the table and stormed for the door.

"Spence! Wait!" I called, jumping to my feet, but there was no point. He was already gone.

The Doctor

I hurried across the road and around the corner for the subway station, my heart racing and my palms sweating.

I knew she didn't mean what I'd said she'd meant. Out in the cool air my skin was no longer sweating and my mind was once again quietening.

I was frightened. Frightened I couldn't live up to Melanie's expectations. 

How could I ever make this work when the only other 'relationship' I'd been in was with a girl on the phone who didn't get to see my face or feel overwhelmed by my social awkwardness.

I stormed down the station stairs and barged onto the platform, totally breathless and enraged at myself.

The Daughter

When I got back home, Beth was waiting in the kitchen for me.
"So, how did it go?" She grinned excitedly, sticking her head around the door and watching as I stormed along the hall for the stairs.

"Fine." I snapped angrily, clomping upstairs before slamming my bedroom door closed. I threw myself face-first onto my bed and screamed into my pillow in frustration.

"Is now a bad time to say boo?" Jack's small voice asked from next to me and I jumped in surprise. I turned on the bed to face his voice and found him kneeling on the other side of my bed with a small smile. I mirrored the smile and sat up with my hair flopping all around the place.

"Sorry Jack," I apologised in a small voice. "I'm just being grumpy." I tapped the mattress next to me and he grinned, climbing up and sitting with his legs crossed in front of me.

"I like your new hair," He said with a broad smile. "You look like daddy now." I smiled broadly.
"Spencer thinks so too." I agreed before realising what I'd just said and instantly frowning. Jack mirrored my expression and I could see the resemblance he held with our father.

"Did Spencer make you angry?" He guessed and I shook my head.
"No, I made myself angry." I explained. The last thing I wanted was for Jack to tell Aaron that Spencer had pissed me off about something. That would only give us away, even if there wasn't even any us to give away after today.

"Jack," Beth's voice sounded from the doorway and I turned to realise she'd entered my room while I'd been lost in my own thoughts. "Guess who's just called?" She grinned, showing Jack the house phone.

"Dad!" Jack squealed, leaping off the bed and hurrying to the door. "Hi dad!" Jack took the phone and ran from the room excitedly, leaving Beth and I alone which is obviously something she'd been counting on.

"How was lunch?" She asked conversationally as she sat next to me on the bed.

"It was great," I explained truthfully. "I just ruined everything." I concluded and Beth frowned in confusion.
"I'm sure that's not true." She said matter-of-factly.

"No really, I've ruined it now," I told her. "He'll probably never talk to me again." I sighed emphatically and groaned in frustration as I ran my hands over my face.

"Tell you what, why don't I make us a nice cup of tea and you can sit down and tell me all about it? I'm sure once you get it all off your chest you'll realise that you're worrying over nothing."

I sighed but nodded my head in agreement and Beth grinned, squeezing my thigh as she got to her feet. In that moment Jack re-entered the room holding the phone out to me.

"Dad wants to talk to you." He grinned and I smiled at him, taking the phone and ruffling his hair.

Beth collected him into her arms and the pair of them left the room together.
"Hey Aaron," I said down the phone. "How's the case going?" I asked conversationally.

"It went well, we're on our way home now," He explained. "How are you feeling? The team send their regards. We can't wait to have you back."
"Well how does tomorrow morning sound?" I offered happily.
"Really?" He asked in surprise.

"Are you sure you're well enough?"
"I'm more than ready to come back to work, believe me. I think I'm sending Beth crazy laying around the house." I joked.

"Surely not," Aaron laughed. "Beth's been telling me how much she's loved having you in the house." I smiled broadly.

"She said that?" I asked with a slight lump in my throat. "That's so sweet."
"How are your bruises coming along?"
"Most of them are totally gone now, only a few are still a little green."

"That's great news! Well I guess I'll pass your good news onto the team." I grinned and nodded my head emphatically.

"Please tell them I'll see them all tomorrow bright and early."
"I will. See you when I'm home later."
"Bye Aaron." I ended the call and took the phone back out to the stand, heading downstairs where Beth was just pouring the tea and Jack was tucked in front of the TV watching cartoons.

*

Aaron got home later that night just after dinner. We all sat with him at the dinner table and at first he'd been tearful over my choice of hairstyle. He was at a true loss for words and admired and admitted how much I resembled himself with my natural brown locks.

It wasn't until I was in bed trying to sleep that Beth's words from earlier that day came back to haunt me. I had a lot to think about; that much was true. But in another sense I also didn't.

There were the facts.

And they were obvious.

And they were there for a reason.

Which meant they could not be ignored. My feelings could not be ignored. And i wasn't about to smother them either.

For what? For the sake of a few people's thoughts? Screw it. I liked Spencer. A lot. I wasn't about to let the team or anyone else get in the way of that.

I suppose after all I didn't really have anything to think about at all. Did I?

*

The Following morning I was up bright and early alongside Aaron who took the liberty in driving us both to HQ. We rode the elevator and were the first to arrive in the BAU. Unfortunately Aaron had paperwork still to do from the previous night after he'd abandoned the reports in order to return home early. Therefore, with him safely tucked in his office working away, I sat down at my desk and wrote out a note.

Spence, I know I was out of line yesterday and I'm sorry. Forgive me? I've decided that I'm going to tell Aaron about us tonight and the team can and will find out whenever and however we please. I'm sorry, I'm not used to this kind of thing but I promise we can make it work. Mel x

With slightly shaking hands I folded the note and wrote 'Spence' on the front before sticking it to the screen of his computer. I knew that none of the team would touch it; but they would certainly ask him about it. And maybe that would be okay. Spencer could answer that however he pleased.

"Melanie!" Aaron's voice called to me and I looked up from Spencer's desk to find him standing in the doorway of his office, gesturing for me to join him. He looked flustered and agitated and I hurried as quick as I could into his office, slightly out-of-breath.

He pointed to the TV and turned the volume up frantically. On the screen there was a news report of a catastrophic car accident on the freeway. Which freeway, I wasn't entirely sure. The screen was showing a helicopter view of the scene; a lorry and three large SUV type cars were over-turned, one on fire as smoke billowed into the sky towards the helicopter. 

It was clear there were a significant amount of injuries, and a load of destruction on the way to the final scene of the accident as cars had skidded and collided with each-other as well as the barricades separating the on-coming traffic. The news reporter was explaining the whole time what had happened,

"In an incident this morning which has caused complete chaos in the busy morning traffic, suspicions are arising as to just how this type of accident could possibly have occurred. In a bizarre turn of events, witnesses report seeing three large dark cars attempting U-turns in the middle of the freeway, tragically crashing into the oncoming truck. 

"Investigators and the emergency services are on their way to the scene of the accident, but with hectic morning peak-time travel coming to an absolute stand-still, this is proving a real hard task. We shall update this story as news arrives."

Aaron muted the TV again and turned to me.

"I've just received a call from Morgan. He's stuck in traffic due to the crash and doesn't know how long it'll be before he's here. Garcia's abandoned her taxi and is making her way to the nearest metro, apparently we're being called in to assist on this. But we can't do any more until the team arrive-"

He was interrupted with a text alert and frowned before sighing as another two text messages arrived.

"It would appear the whole team are delayed. Well... besides Spencer who of course takes the metro anyway." He sighed and sat down at his desk.

"Do you think this is something we can really help with?" I proposed confusedly.

"Local PD seem to believe that a series of minimal-damage crashes are related." Aaron nodded and I sighed.

"What a horrible thing. At this time in the morning? Think of what could've happened if one of the team had been involved..." I shuddered and Aaron sighed, nodding his head. 

"Would you like some coffee?" I offered after checking my watch and realising Spencer would be here in four minutes.

Once Aaron declined I left his office, closing his door behind me. I then went to the coffee-pot and poured two coffees; one with four sugars and milk, one with six and no milk.

I then took my time in walking to the elevators, and watched as it was called to the ground floor. I watched the counter as the elevator travelled six floors and pinged as it came to a stop.

I was stood a mere three feet from the doors as they opened and Spencer stepped out with reddened cheeks and a light pink nose due to the cold outside.

"Good morning." I grinned, extending the cup of coffee to him as he stepped out of the elevator with a bewildered expression.

"Th-thanks..." He stuttered slowly as I leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

"How are you?" I asked conversationally as we turned into the BAU.

"I'm f-fine how're you?" He asked a little uncertainly.
"I'm alright." I admitted with a nod and a smile.

"Why is it so quiet in here?" He asked a little shocked as he turned to look at all of the empty desks.

"You haven't heard?" I asked before shaking my head in realisation. "There was a massive collision on the freeway just at the junction into here. Most of the unit are caught up in traffic." I explained as we wove our way through the desks to our own.

"Really?!" Spencer gasped and I nodded. I sat down at my desk and brought up the news channel Aaron had showed me moments before. Spencer watched over my shoulder in awe; his breath fanning the back of my hair as he watched open-mouthed at the news report.

"A-are the team okay?" He stuttered worriedly.

"They're all fine. Garcia's on her way via metro and the others are just waiting for the scene to be cleared as far as I know." I explained reasonably.

"That's horrible..." Spencer shuddered, sitting down at his own desk and falling silent as he leaned forward and peeled the note from his computer screen.

I pretended to be completely absorbed in taking notes from the news report - which I was actually doing - while Spencer scanned the note in a matter of seconds next to me.

"Mel..." He began beside me. I turned to face him with bright eyes and found him smiling at me. "You don't have to apologise for anything," He said while shaking his head. "I'm the one that totally overreacted. I'm sorry." He leaned over the desk and kissed my cheek fleetingly.

"So... We're okay?" I asked hopefully and he laughed, nodding his head as Garcia stormed her way inside the unit, clicking all the way to Aaron's office and storming inside without so much as a knock on his door.

Spencer and I watched in silent awe as this scene unfolded.

*

"Talk about a friggin' nightmare!" Prentiss' voice gushed from behind us after a long hour of Garcia and Aaron planning behind closed doors with Spencer and I watching the news report and exchanging theories.

We turned immediately in surprise to find Prentiss making her way inside the unit.

"Please tell me we have this case because I really want to catch the son-of-a-bitch responsible for this." Morgan grumbled, entering behind her.

"You're all earlier than expected considering." Spencer frowned in confusion, checking his watch.

"Yeah, thanks to the metro." Rossi said before shuddering.
"There's nothing wrong with taking the metro," Spencer said defensively. "You're all just snobs." He reasoned.

"So do we have this case?" JJ asked as they all gathered around mine and Spencer's desks.

"Yes," I answered. "Aaron explained earlier how Local PD think a string of crashes in the local area are connected to this one."

"Great. Just what we need. Chaos over the whole city." Morgan groaned and I nodded in agreement with a sigh.

"If you'd like to join us in the conference room," Aaron announced as he left his office along with Garcia

"Melanie I need you to get Kevin from his meeting while I show the team the news report." Aaron explained. I nodded my head and got to my feet, hurrying out of the unit as the team assembled in the conference room.

I took the elevator to the above floor and hurried along the corridor to Kevin Lynch's boss' office, knocking on the door brusquely before entering.

"Sir I apologise to interrupt so early but I need to speak with Kevin."

"Agent Joyner," Agent Manfield smiled up at me from behind his desk. "It's good to see you," He nodded before muting the TV with the news report of the car crash. "I presume this is why you need Kevin?" He enquired.

"Yes sir it's of the highest urgency." I was practically bouncing on the balls of my feet as Manfield nodded and lifted the phone from his desk, pushing a button before asking Kevin to join us in his office.

A moment later, he was in the office with a confused expression.

"Melanie!" He grinned upon seeing me, "How are you?" He asked. "I heard about what happened with you and Spencer, I'm glad you're alright." I shook my head, waving him silent.

"Thanks Kevin I'm totally fine now, today's my first day back," I explained quickly. "Have you heard the news this morning?" I pressed hurriedly.

"What?" He looked between me and Manfield briefly. "Oh yeah, the freeway crash, it's horrible isn't-"

"We've been drafted in and we need your help." I explained quickly and he nodded.

"Yeah, yeah, of course. Anything you need." He said with a quick nod.
"Keep me informed." Manfield said before nodding and smiling as we left.

Just as we were entering the BAU, Garcia called my phone. I ignored it and hurried inside the conference room, just as a news flash was appearing on the TV screen.

Everyone was on their feet; staring at the TV. Aaron and Garcia were at the screen, Morgan by the coffee table, Prentiss half-descended into her chair with JJ stood next to her and Rossi pulling his own chair out while Spencer stood with his back to the door, staring open-mouthed at the news report.

Without even thinking I entered the room and went straight to Spencer, sliding my hand into his and lacing our fingers together worriedly as I fixated my eyes on the news report.

There'd been another crash, this time on the opposite side of the city, on another busy freeway. The initial crash of this morning was most likely a decoy for the emergency services and that crash alone had taken four lives and injured a further seven; seven of whom were still being treated at the scene.

"I want this ended, today," Aaron said in an irritated tone, turning from the screen as Garcia muted it. It felt like almost immediately and instinctively Aaron's eyes fell onto my hand laced with Spencer's but I completely ignored it. I completely ignored the fact that once everyone realised why he was silent, they too stared.

"So where do we start? How do we profile something like this?" I enquired, desperate to divert the attention.

There was silence for a moment as Prentiss, JJ and Garcia all shared entertained smiles and Morgan and Rossi exchanged a perplexed expression.

"Well it's obvious the first crash was a decoy." Morgan stated simply.

"But why decoy to such a scale? A fire in a public place with no victims would have just as easily diverted the emergency services." I reasoned.

"For whatever reason, crashes gets him off, that's his weapon of choice." Prentiss proposed.

"Or maybe the first crash wasn't a decoy and there were specific targets in both crashes." Rossi suggested.

"Whatever the reason," Aaron said through gritted teeth.

When I looked back at him, he was staring at the TV of the news report with a flushed face.

"We end this today. No more injuries of such a catastrophic scale can happen." He stated.

"What if this wasn't deliberate?" JJ put forward. "What if these were both simply tragic accidents?"

"I don't believe in coincidences JJ," Aaron snapped frustratedly. "And when you look at the previous local crashes, it's hard to deny the connections." He explained.

Everyone was silent for a moment and I could practically feel the fear rolling off of Spencer in waves.

"Prentiss and Melanie, I want you to take the scene from this morning. Work the scene and talk to any on-site witnesses still there. Question the first responders, I want to know every last person who was at that scene," Prentiss and I looked at each other and smiled.

That'd be fun.

Prentiss got to her feet, collecting her files and heading for the door.

Following her steps I turned to Spencer and kissed his cheek, collected my files from the table and left after Prentiss; the room silent and tense behind me.

The Doctor

If the air wasn't already thick enough in the conference room with the current events; it certainly was when Hotch's eyes fell on Melanie's hand laced with mine.

My heart began to pound more profoundly in my chest as I looked down at our hands too.

Melanie's expression wasn't giving anything away; it was the perfect poker face as she completely concentrated on the case.

She nodded at Hotch as he gave her and Prentiss orders and then she stretched up - obviously higher than usual in order to reach my height - and pressed her lips to my cheek in a kiss.

As casual as that; as though it was something she done everyday; as if everybody was as used to it happening as they were to the sky being blue.

The room stayed silent for a few heartbeats longer than usual, even after Melanie and Prentiss had departed.

I cleared my throat awkwardly, feeling like she'd completely thrown me to the wolves. The least she could've done was warn me.

"Reid and Morgan, you take victimology and speak to the families of the victims killed in both crashes as well as those who were injured. We need to establish any connections. Garcia you go with them and Kevin will stay here working the links."

I nodded my head frantically, eager to leave the room under Hotch's eagle stare.

"Well, well, well," Morgan chuckled as we made our way through the desks.

He clamped a hand down on my shoulder and grinned at me, waggling those eyebrows of his.

"You sure kept that quiet pretty boy."
"Kept w-w-what quiet?" I stuttered.

We waited at the end of the corridor for Garcia to collect her tablet and laptop from her office; subsequently allowing Kevin to settle in.

"Don't play all innocent with me. Little-miss-agent-Melanie-Hotchner-Joyner and you. My oh my your face is priceless."

I rolled my eyes and cleared my throat awkwardly, breaking away to call the elevator as Garcia came clicking towards us hurriedly.

"Did you know about pretty-boy and superwoman?" Morgan asked Garcia, slinging an arm around her shoulder.

I warned her with wide eyes and she shook her head.

"I most certainly did not chocolate man," She sighed emphatically. "Much to my dismay. Not even such wonderful skills as mine could have decoded such romance." I sighed and lowered my head in disappointment.

"So you knew?" Morgan chuckled and Garcia's mouth flopped open.
"N-n-no didn't I just say I didn't kn-"
"You overcompensated Garcia," I explained as we got into the lift. "Just a simple yes or no answer is suffice when you're lying to a profiler."

The Daughter

"So you and Reid huh?" Prentiss smiled as the elevator doors closed, leaving us alone in the lift as it descended.

"Yep." I grinned.
"Aw," She cooed. "Look at you," She smiled broadly, glancing at my expression as I bashfully stared at my feet. "That's adorable," She told me. "It's about time Reid got someone, and it's about time it was you."

She put her arm around my shoulder and squeezed me gently in a hug before pulling away as the elevator dinged at the ground floor.

"Thanks Emily," I said as we left the building. "That means a lot."

*

We called in frequently, but never returned to HQ and never saw anyone from the rest of the team until Morgan and Aaron had caught the Unsub that night.

It'd been a long day; and an even crazier one than I'd expected. Aaron had kept us on our toes and kept Spencer and I separated the whole time.

I knew it was his game-plan, but it irritated me nonetheless. On any other case Reid and I were partnered together for our similarities in expertise; just like the other partners.

But nope, not today, and it was all because of my actions in the conference room that morning.

As I entered the BAU again I decided that I didn't regret what I'd done. I stuck by my actions and would support them to Aaron as we spoke about Spencer and I at home.

I wouldn't talk about it here; or in the car on the way home, as that wasn't the proper place to talk about something so important.

"Melanie, I want to speak with you when we get home," Aaron said sternly as I entered the BAU. I nodded my head in understanding. "I'm submitting my report to Strauss and then we'll be gone." He explained and I nodded my head again as he left.

I sighed emphatically, rubbing my forehead as I made my way to my desk.

I was disappointed to find that Spencer had already left. There was no sign of his bag or belongings on his desk, and as I observed I realised that his report was already finished in his out tray.

Sighing I collected my own things and turned off my computer, heading back out of the unit and deciding to just wait downstairs for Aaron.

A few moments later he appeared with the same stern expression as before.

The car-ride home was silent and far more awkward than I'd first anticipated.

"Dad!" Jack's voice called out as soon as the front door closed behind me.

Jack came bounding out of the kitchen and made a dash for Aaron, leaping on him just as he set his briefcase on the floor. I grinned and ruffled his hair on the way past to the stairs.

"Melanie." Aaron called after me in a warning tone.

"I'll be down in five, let me just change." I called over my shoulder, quickening my pace before he could demand to talk now.

I wasn't a teenager, I didn't understand why he was treating me like this anyway, or why I felt like this at all.

When I got into my room I found boxes and holdalls on my bed filled with belongings from my apartment.

"Melanie?" Beth called and her voice neared as she hurried along the hall to my bedroom. "Hi sweetie, how was your day?" She asked with a bright grin.

"Uh... Interesting," I decided on at last. "What's all of this?" Before Beth could answer she was interrupted with a dingle of bells and a loud meow before Milky entered the room at a hurried pace, leaping onto the bed and rubbing against my hand with a massive meow.

"Milky!" I exclaimed in surprise, running my hand over her fur.
"Well, Aaron and I were talking last night and we both thought I'd be good if you could stay here a little more permanently..."

Suddenly Aaron appeared in the doorway behind Beth no longer wearing his suit from work.

"What d'you think?" He offered with the same stern expression.
"Well, that all depends on what you think of what I have to say." I replied honestly.

"Whatever it is you have to explain," Aaron said. "That doesn't change the fact that you're still my daughter and I'll still worry about you in that apartment on your own. Being here is best for you."

"My apartment is literally a five minute walk from here. And I can tell you're already angry at me."

"Why would Aaron be angry with you Mel?" Beth asked, looking between us.
"Because of what happened this morning..." I mumbled, looking at Aaron. "I understand that this might not be what you want to hear, but Spencer and I are together, Aaron," I explained.

"Being trapped in that room together made us both realise a lot of things, and when you were gone on the last case we spent a lot of time together, and we've decided to try and make a go of things. He makes me happy, and I think after everything that's happened to the both of us, it's important we do the things that make us happiest." 

Aaron's lips were pursed in thought and Beth looked at him slightly open-mouthed in surprise.

"He's a great man, Aaron." She reasoned in a soft voice.
"I know that, Beth, but you're my daughter Melanie," He said in a strict voice. "I want what's best for you. And I don't believe a relationship is the best thing for you at this current moment in time."

"I think now is the perfect time," I snapped defensively. "Spencer has been a huge support to me these past few days, he's the only one in the world who knows what it was like inside that room. Why do you think I'm able to be back at work so quickly?" Aaron huffed irritatedly. 

"Are you saying I'm not allowed to go out with Spencer?" I demanded.

I was almost thirty, I was an adult. He couldn't treat me like a kid by telling me who I could and couldn't date.

However, there was a small voice in my head that reminded me that he was getting used to all of this stuff, too. Whilst I had never had a family - or a father - to look after and protect me, Aaron had never had an adult daughter. He was coming to terms with all of this, too. And, I was a little overwhelmed that he and Beth wanted to share their space with me. At long last, I had a family home to belong to.

"You can do whatever you like, Melanie, you're an adult," Aaron said calmly, practically reading my thoughts. "I'm just letting you know that I'm not happy with this." He then turned and walked off down the hall; his footsteps disappearing down the stairs.

"Give him time, he'll come round to the idea," Beth smiled comfortingly. "It's bound to be a difficult time for him. You're his daughter and fathers are supposed to be protective over their daughters. Spencer is a wonderful man, he's the best your father could wish for you to be with. Once he gets over the initial over-protectiveness, he'll realise that." I smiled at Beth and she stepped forward, opening her arms and hugging me tightly.

The Doctor

I was at home reading when my cell rang. I frowned as I realised it wasn't anything to do with a case.

"Melanie?" I asked, a little surprised to be hearing from her.
"Hi," She sounded a little detached. "How are you?" She asked conversationally.

"Me?" I cleared my throat, setting my book down and straightening on the armchair. "Uhm, i'm okay. How're you?"
"Uhm, alright... Are you busy right now?" She asked and I glanced down at the closed book on the table next to me and chuckled.

"Nope, not at all." I replied coolly.
"D'you mind if I come by? I have to get out of the house..." I frowned before realising she was still living with Hotch and Beth. My stomach flipped as i realised what this could potentially mean.

"Uhm, yeah, of course, that's fine with me."
"That's great. I'll leave just now." We ended the call and I entered the kitchen, filling the coffee pot before returning to the living room and sweeping round quickly tidying the place up a bit.

It didn't take her long to arrive, and I buzzed her in before she even got the chance to press the buzzer. I open the door marginally and busied myself by pouring two coffees for her arriving. It was just after eight o'clock, so it was a tad late for visitors. Evidently, there was something bothering her.

As I re-entered the living room with the coffees, Melanie was just entering, and I could immediately tell from her expression that something was wrong.

"What's happened?" I asked as I sat on the armchair and she sat on the sofa, accepting the coffee I passed her.

"It's Aaron," She stated simply. "He's being a nightmare," She explained. "He's just not understanding that I'm almost an adult! I can do what I want with who I want and I don't need his permission!" She gushed.

"He's literally just entered my life as my father and he's trying to make up for the twenty nine years he wasn't there for. I understand that, but he can't pick and choose what he protects me from." I nodded my head in agreement.

"He doesn't agree with us." I guessed. She shook her head and sighed, looking down into her coffee cup.

"I'm sorry I put you on the spot today, I can understand that was totally out of line," She gave a small sigh and I felt bad all-of-a-sudden for cursing her out earlier. 

"I just felt so bad about what happened yesterday at the restaurant. I want people to know about us, and I thought, the sooner the better. That's why I chose today, and I know that I should've spoken to you about it beforehand but I didn't think you'd talk to me and now..." 

She sighed emphatically. 

"Now everything's a mess."

I smiled and shook my head, getting to my feet and crossing to sit next to her on the sofa.

"Don't be silly Mel," I said matter-of-factly. "Nothing's a mess," I explained, covering her hand with mine. 

"I was surprised by your actions this morning, that's all. But I'm pleased that everyone knows now. There'll be new gossip for them to talk about soon, and Hotch will get over this. He'll realise that we're happy and that it won't affect our work and he'll get on with things. In the mean time we just have to power through and show everyone that we're happy together and can make it work."

She looked up at me with a tearful smile and set her coffee down on the table, throwing her arms around me and taking me by surprise. Again. That was something she seemed to do a lot.

"Aaron and Beth want me to move in with them permanently." She said after a while of us both being - a little awkwardly so but contradictorily reluctant to move - wrapped in each other's arms.

"They do?" I asked in surprise. She pulled back, nodding and ran a hand through her hair, shrugging out of her jacket.

She was wearing a massive grey long-sleeved jumper and she blushed as she caught me looking.

"I sort of left in my pyjamas," She explained, gesturing to the leggings she was wearing also. Those were her pyjamas? "I don't know whether I should or not," She continued on, reaching for her coffee and settling back on the sofa.

I slid to the other side and leaned against the arm, facing her entirely.
"What's putting you off the idea?" I asked, lifting my coffee from the table.

"How he's reacting right now," She explained. "He's being silly," She sighed. "And I couldn't bare it anymore after a couple of hours. What would it be like if it was permanent?" She groaned.

"Well you can always escape to here," I reasoned and she looked up from her cup with bright eyes. "Just because you live with your dad, Jack and Beth when she's here, doesn't mean you have to be there all the time. I mean..." I cleared my throat awkwardly and cast my eyes around the room as I blushed.

"We are together, so you coming here often makes a lot of sense." I cleared my throat again and Mel grinned, crawling across the sofa to awkwardly squeeze next to me, curling against my chest in a sort-of cuddle; our coffees making it a little difficult.

"Thanks Spence," She said after a while. She then sighed emphatically. "Just when Aaron and I are progressing and I actually feel like we could have a father-daughter relationship, he clams up again." 

I wrapped my right arm around her and held my coffee in that hand in front of her, rubbing my left hand against her arm in a comforting way.

"He'll come round to the idea, Mel," I explained. "Don't worry. Things will settle down when he realises we're happy. Like I said, we'll make it work and prove him wrong." I could feel her grinning and she turned her face up to mine to kiss my cheek softly.

"You're amazing Spencer Reid."

The Daughter

After I'd finished my coffee Spencer and I spoke about the case from that day, and he told me how Morgan and Garcia had teased him about us the whole way to the hospital. I explained how I'd received complete opposite reactions and he retorted with the fact that everyone expected a relationship from me, but not quite so much from him.

"Oh come off it doc," I laughed. "You're a love machine and everyone knows it." He blushed and mirrored my laugh, scoffing.

"Of course, I leave a string of broken hearts in my wake."
"Exactly. I mean, I'm one of the fortunate ones." I claimed and he smiled broadly at me.
"Yes you are." 

The Doctor

"I best get back." She yawned and sat up from against my chest, peering out of the window behind us at the darkened night outside.

"You're welcome to stay here for the night," I offered sheepishly. "It'll save you having to go out in the cold and drive home." I explained, rubbing her arm.

"Are you sure that'd be okay?" She asked bashfully, chewing on her lip.

"Of course," I smiled. "You're already in your pyjamas anyway." I reasoned. She stretched forward and hugged me tightly.

We sat in silence for a while, just holding each other. I could tell she was falling asleep from the slight twitches she'd make every so often, as if she kept catching herself from falling asleep altogether.

"C'mon, let's get you to bed." I said quietly, rubbing her arm and sitting up a little straighter.

"Oh doc I thought you'd never say those words." She joked, fanning her face as she got to her feet. I blushed heavily and avoided her eyes as she looked back down at me humorously. 

"C'mon I was joking, I'll behave, I promise." She laughed, extending a hand to me. I rolled my eyes and accepted it, letting her pull me to my feet as I joked,

"Well where's the fun in that?" We looked at each other for a moment longer before I broke off and headed along the hall, pulling her along behind me. "The bedroom's through there," I gestured. "Make yourself at home."

When I returned from the bathroom Melanie was already asleep, curled in a ball on what she couldn't possibly have known to be my side of the bed.

I smiled as I observed her peaceful face in slumber. She looked so beautiful laying there in her naturally peaceful state.

I climbed onto the other side of the bed and flicked the light out, settling down into the mattress and sighing in content as I listened to Melanie's controlled breathing from beside me.

I was softly and slowly drifting off to sleep when she rolled against me, curling in a ball around my back. I smiled to myself and fell asleep.

The Daughter

I awoke to the shrill bleeping of Spencer's alarm clock on the nightstand next to me. I jolted awake and groaned as I realised it was that time again.

Spencer groaned too and I peeled my eyes open to realise I was spread across his chest, pinning him to the mattress on the other side of the bed.

My eyes flew open wide and I rolled off his body before he could fully come-to and get embarrassed. I hit the alarm clock off and sat on the edge of the bed, yawning and running my hands over my face.

"Good morning." Spencer's voice grumbled sleepily from behind me. I smiled at that rough morning voice and turned to look over my shoulder.

"Good morning." I answered sleepily.
"How did you sleep?" He asked with a sleepily smile, running his hand through his wild hair on the pillow beneath his head.

"Great." I admitted truthfully.
"I hope my chest was comfortable enough for you." He smiled and I blushed heatedly.
"It was extremely comfortable." I answered before his alarm went off again.

He groaned and rolled over to where I was sat at the edge of the bed and reached across me to hit the alarm off again.
"I set two so I don't go back to sleep." He smirked, groaning tiredly and leaning his head against my lap.

I was surprised by the way he was acting; wide-awake Spencer would die of bashfulness if this were to happen during the day. I wasn't complaining though; sleepy Spencer was adorable and extremely... sexy?

"That's a great idea, Doctor Sleepy." I joked, pulling my fingers through his hair. He moaned and nodded his head on my lap.

"Genius, remember?" He scoffed and I laughed.

There was a moment of enjoyable, sleepy silence as I pawed through his hair and he curled like a puppy with his head on my lap.

"Can I smell coffee?" I asked, breaking the silence.
"Mmm?" He mumbled sleepily and I smiled.

"Don't tell me you've fallen asleep again Spence?" I laughed. "C'mon love, wake up and smell the coffee." I joked, gently pulling him into a sitting position.

"It's not my fault," He mumbled with a smirk. "Being all cuddled is making me sleepy." He admitted, wrapping his arms around me and nuzzling his head into my neck.

"Spence," I giggled as his breath slid down my back. He smirked and sniggered as I squirmed. This didn't help the sensitivity. "C'mon we have to get my work stuff." I reminded him and he moaned into my neck, raising gooseflesh all over my body.

"Spence..." I mumbled, twisting on the bed to face him as he sat behind me. I lifted his head and he smiled from ear-to-ear; his eyes still closed sleepily. "Oh Spencer..." I sung. "Rise and shine cupcake!" I sung, pressing my lips to his cheek. He moaned and shook his head, trying to drape his arms around me again.

I laughed and pressed my lips to his before I could change my mind. For a moment there was no reaction, but then his lips pushed back against mine as he returned the kiss. He continued to wrap his arms around me regardless, and he slid back into the centre of the bed, pulling me with him and smiling against my lips.

I couldn't help but smile back and our mouths opened, my tongue sweeping his teeth and slipping inside his mouth; confirming the deepest we'd ever kissed.

I pulled back a little breathless and opened my eyes to find him watching me with a broad smile.

"I s'pose I better get ready then huh?" He sighed, running his hand through my tuggy hair.

I smiled and nodded my head, blushing and he sighed again, leaning forward and pressing a light kiss to my lips before climbing off the bed and stumbling to the wardrobe.

He took clothes out before heading into the bathroom next door; all the while I sat paralysed in surprise; telling myself that I really had to stay over at Spencer's more often.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

170K 4.9K 34
Truth was, it didn't take her admitting that she loved him for him to realize he felt the same. Nor did it take the few months of dating. No, from th...
499K 14.9K 87
Chi Zhengzheng became vegetative, lying in bed, motionless. A CP-free novel suddenly appeared in her mind ... In the original novel, a car accident l...
184K 3.7K 25
BEFORE READING PLEASE KNOW I WAS LIKE 14/15 WHEN I WROTE THIS. Hotch is forced to put the team through a fake investigation after scrutiny following...
1M 54.6K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...