Poles Apart

By anuradha0104

Arvi has just returned from the UK after six tedious years, two of which she had not even visited home. A lot... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter: Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two (1)
Chapter Forty-Two (2)
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Epilogue
Afterword
All Strings Attached

Chapter Thirty-Eight

4.8K 285 280
By anuradha0104

I stand with my mother and Mrs Rao, waiting for the board meeting to commence.

I rub my stiff neck, as I try to fight back a yawn.

"My husband talks of you a lot," Mrs Rao shares, smiling.

I smile back, holding back comic laughter. What does he say? 'She's an arrogant, spoilt brat!'?

Heh. Probably.

"Good things, I hope?" My mother asks, jovially, when I don't add to the conversation.

"Of course," Mrs Rao insists, with wide-eyed innocence. "He keeps telling our daughter— Niharika, that she should be like Arvi; smart, well-educated, witty, intelligent, determined—" she laughs— "I forget half the words he has used to describe you, but he seems to be in total awe," she tells me.

I don't know whether to be shocked, sceptic or delighted by the revelation. I had never thought Rao would be the kind of man to point at me and tell his daughter that she should be like me.

Unsure of what to do, I only smile at the lady. "You should all come over for dinner someday," Mrs Rao suggests. "Please let me know which day would work for you."

My mother smiles at Mrs Rao and glances at me. "We're very busy with Arvi and Arjun's wedding preparations now, Veena. I certainly appreciate the invite, though."

Mrs Rao seems displeased by the rejection. "Oh," she says, evidently disheartened. "Maybe some other time, then. Niharika would've been happy to see Arvi. She really seems inspired by you."

The last comment definitely seems fake to me. Thought the conversation, I had eyed Mrs Rao with tinged scepticism, but I couldn't point at one part of the conversation that she was feigning, except for the last comment.

No one likes to be at the receiving end of lectures that involve another person, especially one within reach, and be asked to act like them, be like them, be inspired by them. I know I would hate such a conversation.

My mother nods, still smiling pleasantly. I wonder where the pleasant smiles come from; they're not around usually.

"If it's only Arvi you want, I'm sure you can see her after the wedding, with her husband—" my mother nudges me, grinning.

I gulp, uncomfortably. "The wedding is still four months away," I point out.

Maybe my mother would like to be the secretary to Arjun and me, considering that she is making plans for the both of us, for an event that is to occur after four whole months.

The duration suddenly doesn't seem too far away. What are four months? I've been alive for two hundred and eighty-eight of those. Four's not huge compared to that. Four is insignificant; minute; nearly there.

"It's not a long time," my mother reminds me, casually.

That is the final nail in the coffin. Four months? I'm going to be married in four months? At twenty-four and a half? Not even a complete half. At twenty-four years, four months and a few days, I'd be married.

Married.

I'm snapped out of my trance when someone places their hand on my shoulder. I turn to look at my mother. She grins and turns, gesturing for me to look that way.

Jacob Blake, in all his glory.

"Your boss," she comments.

My mother has special affections for Jacob Blake.

Apparently, he's the only man who knows how to deal with me, because every other male in my life melts at my innocent face.

I excuse myself from my mother and Mrs Rao and walk over to Jake, who everyone else regards with a sense of heightened respect.

"Morning, Jakey," I sing, interrupting his conversation with Karthik.

Karthik chuckles, shaking his head, while Jake visibly cringes. The stone-hearted, emotionless, English billionaire, cannot help but show emotion when I greet him.

It's how it is. I'm special like that.

"Arvi," he greets in his thick British accent.

"What's up, dude?" I ask him, raising my hand for a fist bump.

Jacob sighs, rubbing his forehead with the hand he's supposed to attend to my fist bump. "Now I remember why I loved it when you left."

"So you forgot why you loved it when I left, over the past few months, is it?" I tease. "It's okay, dude. I've got that sort a personality."

"You've got the sort of personality that makes a person want to stick their heads down the loo," he taunts.

It's my turn to cringe, and his turn to smirk victoriously.

"That's gross, dude," I chastise, stressing on the dude because I know Jake hates it when someone calls him dude like he hates all other casual gestures such as a fist bump, or a high-five.

It's not formal enough for the man and thus barred from usage. It's a pet peeve of Jake's that he nurtures with fondness and a sore spot that I love to mess with.

"Arvi."

"Okay," I surrender, grinning. "How are you doing, Jake?" I ask, politely.

"I'm doing well," Jake answers, his eyes quickly trailing down to my hands. "I've heard you're engaged now." His eye fixates on the rock on my ring finger.

I smile, lifting my hand to show him the ring. "Hope told you," I deduce.

"Well, it wasn't you."

"You weren't in London when I visited."

Jake concedes with a shrug. "Congratulations, anyway. I'll see you after this," he says, excusing himself.

My father walks into the room with the COO and CFO, and every one makes way to their designated seat.

I eye Kalyan's uncle, who does not lift his eyes to look at me. I look at Raghu Mama next, and he smiles at me, confidently.

Ashok takes over the floor, going over some formalities before he passes the baton to our father.

"As the Chairman of Zēlos Steel, I nominate Karthik Ravichander for the position of the CEO."

Our father, not a man of many words, skips any formality that may prolong the meeting. He jumps straight to the point and says only what he needs to.

"All in favour of the motion, extend your support by a show of hands," Ashok states.

As family members, our votes are counted only after the votes of the other directors are tallied, to avoid bias.

My heart thuds against my chest harshly, my anxiety cranking up a few notches as I watch one hand after the other raise slowly.

I nearly sigh in relief when all seven of the seven outside board members raise their hands.

My eyes quickly shoot to Raghu Mama, who gives me a knowing smile. He nods.

"With the support of every member of the board, I announce Karthik Ravichander as the CEO of Zēlos Steel."

This is it.

Tears almost fill my eyes as I chuckle out in relief, slumping in my chair. Everyone stands up, exchanging handshakes and congratulations.

I watch Karthik walk over to me with a victorious grin etched onto his face.

I stand up, and throw my hands around his neck, making everyone in the room laugh.

"Congratulations, Karthi!" I shriek into his ear, causing him to wince and chuckle.

I let go of Karthik, sniffling, and chuckling with ease. I feel the calmest I've felt in a week. Yet, the nagging feeling in my chest persists. It's not over, not yet. The look on Raghu Mama's face echoes my thoughts.

The hardest part would be for me to tell my family. I can only imagine the kind of outrage I would have to face.

After that day in the restaurant, I didn't know what to do. I couldn't have gone to Karthik, because I knew how he'd react. I couldn't go to my father because I didn't know how he would react. And while Madhurima Ravichander is tough as a nail, she'd freak out if she heard such a thing happened, and I couldn't risk that.

I chose the best option— Raghu Mama; he's practical, patient, has connections, knows the people and most of all, can take a moment to think.

He promised he'd keep it from Latha Atha, and thankfully Arjun and Kaushik kept it to themselves, too.

I will tell Karthik tomorrow, I decide. I'll let him have one day that's solely about him.

I walk out of the room hurriedly, before everyone else, eager to text Arjun, only for media personnel to block my exit.

Fuck.

I am not prepared for this. Where are my flashcards? What can I say? Am I allowed to say anything at all?

Taking a deep breath, I plaster a polite smile onto my face. We don't usually broadcast board meetings, but for the sake of transparency, the company decided that the electing of the CEO must be live.

Keep it short. Keep out of personal life. Don't be provoked.

"Ma'am, you are the youngest member of the board, do you think you deserve the spot?"

I turn my lips down thoughtfully. "I have been given the spot as a part of the agreement to come work with Zēlos Steel. It was an incentive for me to come to work here, so the question should be directed to whoever has given me the job."

"A daughter on the board and a son as the CEO, is Zēlos promoting nepotism in the corporate world?"

I chuckle at the question. "The meeting has been broadcasted. Every member of the board who is not related to Karthik by blood chose him for the position, it is not for me to disrespect their decision by calling it an act induced by nepotism. The very purpose of having outside directors is so that there is no bias. And as for my position, I have already spoken about it."

"So you are saying nepotism is not at play here?"

"Absolutely not. It would be disrespectful to call something Karthik has earned, an act of nepotism. He has been working with the company for thirteen years now, started off as an intern. Sure, he could intern at fifteen only because he's related to the founding members, but I believe he has consistently worked hard to reach where he is today."

"One can only wonder where he has found time for love and marriage when he has been working hard consistently," the reporter murmurs.

Oh, no, she didn't.

"As a colleague, I cannot comment upon Karthik's love life, but I'd like to say this: if a hardworking person is not allowed to experience the simple pleasures of life because someone thinks hardworking people have no personal life whatsoever, the world would be a much horrible place than it already is."

"What would you say about it as a sister?"

"As a sister, it is not for me to talk about my brother's life on a public platform." I smile politely at the fallen face of the reporter.

"Would you say the freshly appointed CEO would make a better one than the previous, Naveen Ravichander?"

"I believe they're both very different people with different perceptions, actions and reactions. Our father was one of the people who built the company and expanded it to where it is now, an entrepreneur will know that it is no easy task. However, Karthik has seen them all work hard and has been working hard. I have complete faith in Karthik, the company is only going to reach new heights."

"With a Bachelor's degree from the London School of Economics and a Master's degree from the University of Oxford, wouldn't you seem a prospective candidate for the position of the CEO? Would you say chauvinism is at play here?"

"I would not say chauvinism is at play here." Is this woman crazy? "If I were made CEO today, you'd have a legitimate reason to bring up nepotism in this conversation we're having right now. The previous CEO and existing chairman has completed his Bachelor's degree from a local college in Vijayawada. Was he not a major factor in building this business? It's the education and knowledge that matters, not where we're receiving it from. Karthik has had first-hand experience with the company since he was a teenager. It would be an absolute pity if this were to be called chauvinism.

"As a company, we have elected the man deserving of the job. The fact that he is a man is not changing anyone's decisions any more than the knowledge of his family."

When the woman opens her mouth for another question, I cut her off. "I am sorry, I need to get back to work now."

"One last question, ma'am," she requests, and the camera forces me to stop.

Oh, for God's sake.

"How would your position in the company change if and when you're married to Arjun Kona?"

"Even after the wedding, I only hope to have a designation that I am worthy and deserving of. No one in this room would want to run the business into the ground for my sake. At the end of the day, we run a business that millions of people are dependent upon, for livelihood. It is not our motive to promote a culture that would turn everything they've all worked so hard for, into dust. My role will only depend on my knowledge and expertise."

With that, I turn around and walk out of the hall without looking back. The fuck was with that woman? What the fuck does she mean 'if and when? It's when. When I'm married to Arjun! Go for nepotism or chauvinism. Either I'm not deserving, or Karthik isn't worthy. Thank God my family's within the company or she would've made it seem like I slept my way up the corporate ladder.

~.~.~.~.~

That evening, we have a small party, with only friends and family, to celebrate Karthik.

I walk out to the lawn, after asking the maids to bring out more non-alcoholic drinks, only to be stopped by Arjun at the door that opens to the lawn.

I step aside, trying to pass through, but he mirrors my actions, not letting me through.

I step to the other side, and he follows.

I look past Arjun, at Karthik and my mother, who both turn away when I meet their eyes.

"Arjun," I scold, finally raising my eyes to meet his.

"Why are you avoiding me?" he asks, looking down at me with a frown.

"I am not avoiding you," I tell him.

"Am I imagining it, then?" he mocks.

"What? Arjun—"

"I thought you'd at least text me after the meeting, you know?"

"But I—"

"Are you avoiding me because of last night?" he demands, as though he has suddenly come to the realisation.

"You're avoiding me because we slept together?"

"We didn't sleep together," I correct, immediately, looking around to see if anyone heard, and lower my voice before continuing, "We fell asleep next to each other." Last night, Arjun and I sat in the back seat, talking about mindless things, and fell asleep. Next to each other.

I came back home at 7:45 in the morning. Apparently, Rohan had been woken up super early by my mother because she was anxiety-ridden and wanted to do something to keep herself busy. She woke Rohan up and he came to sleep in my room, only to see that I wasn't in my room.

He imprudently mentioned the fact at breakfast this morning, and anyone who knows me would not buy my lies. I said I'd woken up early and went for a jog because I couldn't sleep.

However, my mother and elder brother have no faith in me whatsoever, they keep looking my way as if they know I spent the night next to Arjun.

"Whatever," he says, exasperated. "Couldn't you have texted, at least?"

"But I did text you!"

"No, you didn't."

"I did! I texted you just as soon as the meeting was over!"

"Where's the text, then?" he asks, whipping up our chat.

There is no text about the meeting on his phone. But I could've sworn I sent it.

I pat the pocket of my jeans for my phone, but can't find it. Where is my phone now?

"I swear I did," I insist, trying to remember where I'd left my phone. "I was in the board room, and I was texting you as I walked out, and then this reporter stopped me—"

Then I realise.

"Oh!"

Before I can explain, Pranav makes an appearance, with Sameeksha by his side. "Yo, what are y'all doing here?" he yells from the porch. "Come on out."

"Coming," I call out, and pull Arjun deeper into the house, completely away from the party.

"I wanted to text you, I promise," I tell him sincerely. "I was getting out of the hall and this reporter stopped me. She asked a lot of stupid questions, and I was annoyed about it. I thought I'd already sent the text by then."

Arjun smiles goofily. "Okay."

I furrow my brows in confusion. "Why are you smiling like that?" I ask him.

He shrugs. "Just."

Did I say something suggestive? Something innocent that can be twisted by the wicked man to suit his needs?

"What is it?" I demand, nervous about what would come out of this man's mouth. 

"It's nothing," Arjun insists, taking me in a warm hug, and kissing my temple before letting go of me. "I'm just happy is all."

"Why?" I ask him, walking after him as he takes long strides back to the lawn.

Arjun turns around with a full-fledged grin. "You make me happy, Janaki," he says, cheekily, making my face flush with warmth. "Why would I need a reason to smile when I'm next to you?"

"Oh," I say out loud, stupidly. "I-I'm going to go," I tell him, tucking my hair behind my heated ears.

Arjun nods as a teasing smile spreads over his face.

I practically run back into the kitchen, pretending to be busy.

~.~.~.~.~

"Hey, Arjun," Siddharth calls excitedly when he sees Arjun, who was previously talking to Karthik and Jake.

Jake had been invited to the party as a thank-you from my mother for putting up with me all those years. He put up with me for three years, and I made him a shit ton of money. He should be the one thanking me.

Arjun's eyes flit to me, confused and curious. I shrug in response. How was I to know why Siddharth was calling Arjun?

He walks over, half a reluctant smile etched on his face. Jealousy is a good look on Arjun.

"We're playing a game," Siddharth shares when Arjun joins the circle. He sits next to me, on the mat, his knee touching mine, and one of his hands behind me, resting on the mat.

"What game?" I ask Siddharth, narrowing my eyes at him.

"It's a game in which we talk about you," Siddharth explains earnestly. "I'd like to call it Arvi's Secrets."

"I'd like to slap the shit out of your face," I express. "What the heck sort of a stupid game is that?"

"I like it," Arjun says, now smiling fully. "Let's play."

"No," I refuse strictly, kicking Siddharth's knee. God knows what he's going to dig up.

"What secrets do you have anyway?" Dhruv asks, effectively backing me up against a wall with no space to fucking move.

I run my tongue over my teeth. "What qualifies for a secret?" I ask.

"That's an interesting question," Sam indulges.

"Secrets include things that only you or only a limited number of people know," Dhriti says. "Like the super-sized crush, you had on Arjun."

Oh, my God. My friends are a curse; wrath that I must have brought upon myself because of the horrendous sins I committed in my previous lives.

Just when Arjun hadn't brought it up for so long, and I hoped he had forgotten.

"I like that one," Arjun whispers, his breath tickling my neck.

"I don't like you," I retort, pouting. Why? Why God, why?

"Too late, baby," he teases.

As I look into his twinkling eyes, I know it's too late. I'm in too deep now. 

A/N
Hello there! Sorry, I'm late this week, too. I come bearing somewhat of a bad news. As you might know, I'm in twelfth grade now, and my exams are coming up, in two months. I do not wish to leave this book on hold, nor can I spend a lot of time on it. I have a solution for it, but I'm not sure how it will work. 

From now on, I will try to update once a week, on any day of the week, and if once a week is not possible, expect a longer update on the next week. I really wish I didn't have to do this, but I can't leave you guys hanging, neither can I prioritise this book over the exams that will supposedly determine my future. I wish I could say, 'A single piece of paper does not decide my future', but as my mother's daughter, I know that's not true. The single piece of paper will help my mother decide my future. 

With that out of the way. What do we think about the chapter? 

Do let me know your thoughts on character development, and my writing (has it worsened or bettered?). Also, I think I might have one last surprise for you before Arjun and Arvi's wedding! 

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much are we hating on me right now? 

Until next time,
With love,
A.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 1.5K 44
Siblings who had solace in the presence of each other, get trapped in the web of fate and luck, embark on their saga how they battle through the game...
414K 16.5K 73
It is a love at first sight story of a perfect businessman, who believes in perfection in his work. His world revolves around his family, friends and...
74K 4.7K 62
From holding their pinky fingers as kids to holding each other's hands for the lifetime. From running behind each other to taking seven pheras. Fro...
500K 40.3K 60
Too old. Too tall. Too rich. Too out of my league. That's Aryan Arora, the billionaire CEO for me. But apparently, he is the perfect marri...