Death's Gift

By PotatoModeActivated

After the war Harry distances himself from everyone, feeling empty. He spends a year in solitude, only writin... More

Chapter One - The Plan
Chapter Two - The End
Chapter Three - His New Beginning
Chapter Four - The Move
Chapter Five - The Grangers
Chapter Six - Hogwarts Letters
Chapter Seven - Slytherins
Chapter Eight - A Deal with the Enemy
Chapter Nine - Tied up Ends and Tea Dates
Chapter Ten - Christmas Holidays
Chapter Eleven - "Acquaintances"
Chapter Twelve - Back to Hogwarts
Chapter Thirteen - A Bad Feeling
Chapter Fouteen - Problems in Paris
Chapter Fifteen - Join Me
Chapter Sixteen - Again?!
Chapter Seventeen - Second Year
Chapter Eighteen - A Friendly Chat
Chapter Nineteen- The Attack
Chapter Twenty - The Next Step
Chapter Twenty-One - Getting into the Order
Chapter Twenty-Two - A Meeting
Chapter Twenty-Three - Some Good and Bad Company
Chapter Twenty-Four - An Unorderly Order
Chapter Twenty-Five - Dealing with the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Six - Family Reunion
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Distancing
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Reuniting
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Teacher Troubles
Chapter Thirty - Friends?
Chapter Thirty-Two - Tom's Expression and Hermione's Surprise
Chapter Thrity-Three - Realized Feelings
Chapter Thrity-Four - Christmas Break Crisis
Chapter Thirty-Five - The First Night
Explaination
Until the next chapter, Check out my Other Stories

Chapter Thirty-One - A Needed Conversation

6.5K 406 76
By PotatoModeActivated

Death's Gift - Chapter Thirty-One
A Needed Conversation

Things had gotten better over the next few weeks. Halloween had come and passed, Harry having spent the whole day with all of his friends, he'd even spent some time with Tom, away from the others of course. Now, the winter Holliday's were approaching. Harry currently stood outside in the snow, accompanied by Luna. Harry would usually be with Hermione, but she and Anthony were hanging out in the Library. Anthony hated the cold and would do whatever he could to avoid it, so Hermione had stayed with him, saying she still had an essay she should finish. Luna was currently bent down, her un-gloved hand tracing patterns in the snow.

"You should really put your glove back on." Harry told her, "Your hand will get too cold."

Luna smiled up at him, "Don't worry, my hand is fine. It's only the tip of my finger after all."

Harry rolled his eyes, he looked over to his left at where the Black lake had froze over. He briefly wondered if the ice was thick enough to walk safely on. The windows that showed the lake in his dormitory as well as common room had no signs of being frozen, but he could tell the water was cold based on how they fogged up. Harry decided to leave it be than try it out, better safe than sorry. Instead, he leaned against a snow covered tree, some of it brushing off in the slight breeze. He only had two days left to decided if he would be going home for the Holidays or staying at Hogwarts, and Harry was torn. He missed Sirius and Remus a lot, and couldn't wait to see them again, but, because of how they spent their Christmases, this would be the year they would be going to the Weasley's. Last year they'd gone to Neville's, the year before that everyone had come to their house, now it was time for everyone to go to the burrow. It wasn't that Christmases there weren't fun, they were, with Fred and George's pranks, Bill and Charlie's tales about what kind of things they had encountered through their work, and even Molly's cooking. As much as Harry absolutely hated the women, he had to give her some credit, her food was delicious. Harry sighed.

"What do you think?"

Harry looked over at her drawing, seeing a small heart in the snow with intricate designs around it, two letters inside of it. "H+T". His brows furrowed in confusion.

"What does it mean?" He asked.

"Harry + Tom." Luna answered easily.

Harry chocked, his cheeks heating up, "W-What?!"

Luna looked over at him, she blinked, "Harry + Tom." She repeated.

"I- I heard you- but- why- I- what?" Harry coughed, "Who's Tom?" He asked in the most confused voice he could muster.

"Your friend." Luna told him, "The one I've been covering you for."

"Why- Why did you put our initials in a heart?" Harry asked, genuinely confused.

Luna tilted her head, "Because you like him."

Harry chocked again, "Sorry, what?!"

"You like him." Luna said again, "And he likes you."

Harry shook his head, "No- no. You've- You've got it wrong. We're just friends."

"It doesn't seem that way." Luna commented.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

Luna looked at him, "Just think of the way you two act around each other."

Harry tried to recall the times they had talked since they became friends.

"Harry, are you going to Hogsmead this weekend?" Draco asked.

"Why?"

"Because, I know a girl who fancies you," The blonde told him, "She was hoping you two could meet up at the three broomsticks or something."

"Unfortunately, Mr. Potter-Black has a detention that day." A voice from behind them spoke.

Harry and Draco turned around to see Tom, or rather, "Professor Vandistine", standing there.

"I do?" Harry asked.

Tom shot him a look, "Yes."

Draco shrugged, "I guess I can tell her. I have to turn down girls all the time anyway. You'd just be too awkward to do it."

Harry rolled his eyes, "Please, I think I could turn someone down if I wanted to."

Draco raised an eyebrow, "Oh yeah? Then why don't you tell Millicent you can't meet up with her?"

Harry's breath caught in his throat, "Millicent?!" He asked.

Draco nodded.

"Why would she like me?! I don't even talk to her!"

"Perhaps that is exactly the reason." Tom said, "She is yet to know what a pain speaking with you really is."

Harry rolled his eyes, "Shove off."

Tom smirked.

Draco looked between the two of them, "You two have a weird relationship."

"One that Miss Bulstrode should do well to avoid." Tom said before walking off, leaving behind a confused Harry and Draco.

...

"Harry~" Hermione dragged out the name, "Where have you been?"

"Sorry, I was reading with Luna." Harry said, sitting down on the bench with her.

"Seriously Harry, it's as if she's your best friend now." The girl complained.

Harry narrowed his eyes, a slight smirk forming onto his lips, "Are you jealous?"

Hermione crossed her arms, "I have no reason to be jealous of her."

Harry bumped Hermione's shoulder with his own, "C'mon Hermione, you know you'll always be my best friend. Besides, I haven't mentioned anything about your constant hanging out with Anthony."

Hermione's cheeks turned a light pink, "Don't try to change the subject!"

Harry laughed, "It's alright, you can tell me anything 'Mione, besides, It's glaringly obvious that you like him."

"And it's glaringly obvious that you like Luna." Hermione shot back."

"I don't like Luna." Harry told her, "Why does everyone always think I like Luna?"

"Maybe because you two are practically joined at the hip and spend time secluded in the library sharing a blanket while reading." A voice said.

"How'd you know about that?" Harry asked.

Tome raised an eyebrow, "I am not blind you know."

Harry rolled his eyes, "Are you stalking me?"

"I have no idea what you mean." Tom said before walking away.

Harry sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I'm telling you!" Hermione whispered, "There's something off about him!"

"I think you're imagining things Hermione." Harry drawled.

...

"Harrison?"

Harry and Anthony turned around to see a Hufflepuff standing there, Harry recognized her as Flora Doridia, a year above him, her cheeks a bright red.

"Yes?" Harry asked.

"I- I um..." The girl took a breath, "I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime this weekend... just the two of us..."

"Sorry, but Harrison already has prior commitments this weekend the he must attend to." Tom appeared out of nowhere.

"Oh- okay. Well, maybe some other time?"

"Sure." Harry answered awkwardly.

Flora smiled and ran away towards a group of girls who appeared to be her friends. Tom on the other hand simply raised his head and walked away, not even glancing in Harry's direction.

"What do you have to do this weekend?" Anthony asked.

Harry shrugged.

...

"I have no idea what you mean." Harry said.

Luna sighed, "Harry, I know I've been keeping quiet about this, but I feel like it's something we need to talk about."

Harry looked over at his friend.

"I know that you do not side where people think you do." Luna told him, "I know who your ally is."

Harry's eyes widened and he swallowed thickly, "You do?"

Luna nodded, she smiled over at him, "I'm glad."

That caught Harry off guard. He couldn't for any words, he just stared at Luna, his mouth hanging open ever so slightly.

"You know, I've never really agreed with the way the Wizarding world is. His vision would be good for it, make it a better place to live."

Harry shook his head, snapping himself back to reality, "You're not mad at me?"

Luna blinked, "Why would I be mad?"

Harry bit his lip, "Well- I- He's done some really bad things..."

"So have you." Luna reminded him, "We all have."

"I guess so..."

"I think you two are good for each other." Luna said, "You can both relate in ways that no one else can. You understand one another, you bring out both the best and worse in each other."

Harry laughed, "You make it sound as if we're together."

Luna smiled, a knowing smile, but she remained silent. Harry fell silent as well.

"You should tell Hermione." The girl said out of the blue.

"What?!" Harry asked, "I can't tell her! She'll freak!"

"You'll never know if you never try."

Harry bit his lip, he sighed, "It's not that I don't want to. I really hate keeping things from her, she's my best friend. But- It's not like I can just walk up to her and say 'Oh hey Hermione. You know Voldemort, yeah the one who destroyed Hogwarts, killed my parents, forced you to erase yourself from your parent's memories, and then I eventually killed? Yeah, I joined his side, we're friends now.', can I?" He asked sarcastically.

Luna laughed lightly, "Ease her into it."

Harry sighed, "I guess... I mean, she already agreed that what we're trying to achieve would be great. Though, she'll hate the way we'll have to go about it."

Luna nodded, "Just something to think about." She leaned over and whispered something into Harry's ear, "And good luck with your friend."

Harry could feel his cheeks heat up as Luna pulled away, he stared at her as she walked away, gobsmacked and utterly confused by what she meant.

.         .         .         .         .         .         .

Harry made his way back up to the castle, thinking about what Luna had said. Not what she'd whispered in his ear, no, about telling Hermione. He'd wanted to last time he'd brought it up, but he'd backed out of it, knowing it was simply better not to say anything. Though, maybe Luna was right? The longer he kept it a secret from Hermione the more guilty he would feel and the more he wouldn't want to tell her because of how mad it would make her. It was better to just get it all over with, to tell her straight out everything that had happened since his first year back. Though, it also meant admitting to having lied to her for the past three years. He groaned and dragged a hand down his face. This was going to be difficult.

"You seem cherri." Someone commented.

Harry looked over his shoulder to see Tom standing their, an almost uninterested look on his face, though something was burning within his eyes, something Harry couldn't quite place.

"Undoubtedly." Harry replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I would've thought you to be bubbly." Tom said, a certain bite to his voice.

Harry raised an eyebrow, "Since when am I ever bubbly?"

Tom rolled his eyes, "Since when do you ever get kissed?" He asked, walking down the hallway, grabbing Harry's wrist, pulling him along with him.

Harry's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What?

"Kissed?" Harry asked, not even realizing that Tom was leading him somewhere, "When was I kissed? Why did I not know about it?"

Tom scoffed, "That girl you always hang around with."

"Hermione?"

"No, the other one."

"Luna?"

Tom gave a curt nod and walked into his office, pulling Harry in and closing the door behind them with a rather loud thud.

"When did Luna and I ever kiss? We don't see each other that way."

"Just now." Tom drawled, "Or do you already not remember?"

Harry stared at him, beyond confused. Tom sighed, he pushed Harry up against the door, glaring at him, their faces only inches apart.

"Just now, when the two of you were outside, she leaned over and kissed you." He said venomously.

Harry's eyes widened. He couldn't help himself, he started laughing. Not only had Tom misread and miss-seen the whole situation, he looked almost angry about it. Tom stared at him, his own brows furrowing.

"She didn't kiss me." Harry told him once he'd regained his composure, "She whispered something into my ear."

Tom fell silent, it was only then that Harry realized their position. His eyes widened as he realized that Tom practically had him pinned to the door, he could feel the man's breath against his face, their noses were almost touching. He swallowed thickly, looking into Tom's eyes. They weren't the blue that they appeared to be with his glamour, they were a crimson red, the eyes that so often filled his subconscious, that haunted his dreams.

"You have no idea how much joy it will bring me to see you in my arms"

Harry's breath hitched when he remembered the dream he'd dreamt before all of this happened, the one that he'd been unable to remember. He felt the blood rush to his cheeks.

"And even if she did..." He began carefully, "Why would you care?"

Harry watched as crimson eyes looked him up and down. He noticed that along with his eyes, Tom's false appearance had completely faded away. The brown hair was now back to it's normal black, his skin a creamy pale, and his jawline much sharper. He froze as he met Tom's eyes again, seeing something else within them, something he'd seen a lot, something he could never really place, something he now recognized.

Want.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

245K 9.3K 41
What if all the loss had became too much for Harry? What if he found out Ron was just using him to be in the spot light? What if Hermione hated him...
73K 2K 43
Harry Potter, the Chosen One, the savior to the wizarding world, hasn't talked to anyone all summer. He has to go back to Hogwarts to finish his 7...
2.8K 130 12
This is a fanfiction! The major shipping are Harry x Hermione, Draco x Ginny, and Neville x Luna. IF YOU CAN RESPECT THE SHIPS, THEN PLEASE PROCEED...
700K 18K 25
Harry is abused by the Dursleys, so Sirius and Remus come to stay with him in Hogwarts to make sure he's okay. He starts a secret friendship with Dr...