Beyond The Lamppost

By ineffable_narnia

Just A book of Narnia one shots!!! I hope you all enjoy these and I hope they can maybe help you to see Narni... More

He Missed his Father
I'll be
Four Extrodinary Kids from England
Like an Ocean
I promise
Write The Future
You Lowered Your Sword
You Don't Have to Face the World Alone
Together Forever
The Best Big Brother Ever
Because I Love You
All I Care About
Everything Was Right in the World
I Forgive You For Everything
I Will Always Forgive You
Always The Youngest
Goodbye is Not Forever
Just
Goodbye
I Can Only Imagine
Lost Without You - Part 1
Lost Without You - Part 2
Lost Without You - Part 3
Peter Would Want You to Have it
To Love At All is to be Vulnerable
The Best Gift I've Ever Recieved
The Best Christmas
The First Christmas in Narnia
Happy Birthday Ed
Too Good of a Big Brother
Brothers Forever
A Wild Imagination
Love and Sacrifice
Random Prompts Game
Random Prompts Game Part 2
That's What Friends Are For
Home
I Wouldn't Want it Any Other Way
Stay Gold
Random Prompts Game Part 3
Incredibly Grateful
Random Prompts Game Part 4
Now My Eyes Leak Acid Rain
How Rare and Beautiful it is to Even Exist
Random Prompts Game Part 5
Random Promps Game - Part 6
The Most Difficult Thing I've Ever had to do
Until His Dying Breath
Turned into Your Worst Fears
Longing For Love
Lucy Had Nothing
Random Prompts Game - Part 7
The World Hated Me First
Home
Random Prompts Game - Part 8
Random Prompts Part 10

For Narnia and For Aslan

285 13 10
By ineffable_narnia

Prompt for March: War
~
Peter had read about wars before, he learned about them at school. After all, his own country was in the middle of a war. A war that his father was fighting in at right now. But none of that, had prepared him, for this moment.

Not only was he fighting in his first ever battle, but he was leading his first battle. At a mere 17 years old.  And the Narnians...were losing.

Peter never even wanted to lead a battle in the first place, he just wasn't ready. After all, he knew nothing about battles. He was sent away from home so he wouldn't get caught up in a war. And now, here he was, starting a brand new one.

He'd wanted to turn back, all those days ago. He wanted to get his family back to the professor's house, where they would be safe. But, he'd lost his brother. And he wasn't about to leave Narnia without Edmund.

So, Peter stayed. And he found Aslan, who brought his brother back to him. And he brought him back alive, much to Peter's relief. That's when he wanted to leave. He had Edmund back, it was time to go home.

Peter's first instinct was to get his family and go home immediately. But, then he remembered the people he'd met since he'd arrived. The Narnians. They were kind, and faithful people. They needed help, the Pevensies help.

It was so dangerous though. Peter had already lost his brother, and very nearly to death. Lucy had almost drowned. Both his sisters had nearly been killed by wolves. He couldn't leave these people high and dry, not after everything they'd done for him and his family. So, Peter decided to send his siblings home, and he would stay and help.

"But they need us...all four of us."

Lucy was right, they needed the four of them. But Peter couldn't lose any of his siblings. He'd promised his mum he would keep them safe. And he'd nearly lost them already, he wouldn't let that happen again.

Edmund wanted to stay. Peter didn't expect that. His brother had made mistakes, but he wanted to stay, so he could fix them. He couldn't abandon these people after what he'd done. And Peter couldn't make him. His brother had truly changed for the better, and Peter was so proud of him.

So, they stayed. Peter would be leading an army to battle, but he would have Aslan, which made him feel better. Edmund would be there too. Maybe he could actually do this?

Peter's heart sank to the floor when he saw Aalan's empty tent. He was gone. But there was still a battle to fight. Without Aslan, Peter would be the leader, and that made him feel sick.

How was he supposed to lead a battle? He knew nothing about battles, or fighting, or leading an army. He couldn't do this, he just couldn't. He felt more like throwing up than leading an army to battle right now.

But, Edmund believed he could. He believed that Peter could do this. And somehow, that was enough.

It didn't get rid of the sick feeling in his stomach, or his nerves about leading an entire army into battle at the age of 17. But, it gave him the encouragement he needed. His brother had faith in him, and he couldn't let him down. Or Aslan.

So, he would fight. He would fight for Edmund. He would fight for Susan, and he would fight for Lucy. He would fight for Narnia, and he would fight for Aslan.

And that's exactly what he did. He lead the army into battle. And he fought. He fought with every ounce of strength he had. He would fight to his death if he needed to.

Amidst the fighting, Peter took a moment to look around. With a sinking heart, he realized they were losing. The Narnians were incredibly outnumbered, and didn't stand a chance at this point. But he wouldn't abandon them. He would fight until his last breath for these people, even if he lost his life while doing it.

But his family wouldn't. Peter couldn't lose them. He had to get them home. He needed to at least save them. So, he managed to find Edmund in the midst of the battle. He told him to run, because he didn't want to lose him. He told him to find their sisters and take them home. And he watched as Mr. Beaver dragged him from the battlefield. A weight lifted from Peter's shoulders as he watched Edmund leave the battlefield, his brother was safe. So he turned back to the battle, and continued fighting.

Suddenly, Peter saw a bright blue flash from the corner of his eye. His eyes widened as he turned his head, and his heart completely stopped. Edmund stood on the battlefield, next to a very angry looking White Witch. She was holding her wand, which was now broken, and from the looks of it, Edmund had broken it.

Edmund wasn't even supposed to be here! He was supposed to be heading away from the battle, where he would be safe. Peter had literally watched him leave. Why did he come back? Peter's heart skipped a beat as he realized that his brother was fighting The White Witch.

Peter knew, Edmund was bound to lose this fight. Because Jadis was skilled with a sword. Though Edmund was good, he'd only had a little bit of practice, and he didn't have a chance. Plus he'd broken her wand, which made her angry, meaning she would fight even more aggressively now.

As Peter had predicted, Edmund was quickly disarmed. But what he hadn't predicted, was The Witch shoving her broken wand straight into his little brother.

Time stopped as Peter witnessed what could very well be his brother's death. He watched in horror as The Witch twisted the wand inside of Edmund before pulling it out. His heart completely stopped, as Edmund fell to the ground, not moving a muscle.

Peter felt a million different emotions in that moment. Fear, anger, worry, sadness, guilt, fury, hatred. So much hatred, for Jadis. She had stabbed his brother, and quite possibly killed him. As Peter looked at Edmund, lying motionless on the ground. He only knew one thing. He wanted this Witch dead, and he would fight her.

And that's what he did. He grabbed his sword, and ran towards the Witch as quickly as he could. Killing anyone who dared get in his way. He knew how dangerous it was to fight her, but he didn't care. Edmund had faced her after all, and had been gravely injured- or worse- in the process. Peter would do this. For Edmund.

He fought her with everything he had. Because she had stabbed his little brother, and that was something nobody would get away with. He gave all his sweat and tears into this fight, then suddenly, he heard a roar. Turning around he saw Aslan, standing atop the cliff, alive, and well, in all his power and glory. And his sisters were with him, they were safe and alive.

A weight lifted off of Peter's shoulders. His sisters were alright. Aslan was here, now they could win. The Narnians actually had a chance at survival. Maybe he hadn't completely failed them after all.

He continued fighting Jadis when she brought her sword down on him, only narrowly missing, but Peter was quick. And he was fighting better than ever, because now he believed they actually had a chance, and he didn't want to let Aslan down.

Peter screamed in pain as Jadis used her sword to pull his legs out from underneath him, and he fell to the ground. The Witch shoved her sword into Peter's arm, trapping him. He couldn't move, she had the upper hand. Just as Peter expected her to end it all, Aslan leaped onto Jadis, knocking her off of him.

He quickly removed the sword from his arm, and jumped up, watching with wide eyes as Aslan killed The White Witch.

"It is finished." Aslan explained, as he turned to Peter.

Peter took a deep breath as he looked at the lion. It was over, he had actually led his first battle. And he led the army to victory. He actually couldn't believe it.

When his sisters showed up, Peter felt an immense amount of relief. And the hug Lucy gave him, was exactly what he needed in that moment. To hold his sister, and assure himself that she was alright. Even if it was only for a moment.

Because after only a moment, Susan questioned him, asking where Edmund was. And this hit Peter like a ton of bricks, as he remembered what had happened to his brother. He scanned the battlefield, and ran.

Peter's heart stopped beating when they found Edmund. On the ground, bleeding out, unable to breathe. This was exactly what Peter had been afraid of all along. Something happening to Edmund, and the worst part was that this was something he couldn't fix.

Edmund was dying, and Peter could do nothing about it.

He realized though, that Lucy could. He took only a second to glance at her as she poured her healing cordial into Edmund's mouth.

Peter took a deep breath, waiting for it to work. But his heart picked up speed as Edmund stopped breathing completely. They must have been too late, Edmund was too far gone to be saved. He was dead.

Peter had led an entire army to battle, and they'd been victorious. But he'd lost his brother in the process. Peter had lost what was most important to keep safe. Worst of all, it was his fault. He would never, ever forgive himself.

He never should have let Edmund fight. Peter could have fought, leading the army to victory while Edmund stayed at camp. Where he would be safe, and alive. Oh but Edmund had wanted to fight so badly. He wanted to protect the country he had betrayed, and fight with her people. That's all he wanted to do after all the mistakes he made. How was Peter supposed to tell him no? Edmund never would have forgiven Peter if he didn't let him fight. Then again, Peter would much rather have an angry brother than a dead brother.

Suddenly, Edmund coughed, and he began to breathe again, opening his eyes. Peter's eyes widened in shock as he looked at his brother, his alive brother. He hadn't killed Edmund. Although he nearly had. 

But that's not what mattered right now. The only thing that mattered was that Edmund was alive, so Peter pulled him into a bone crushing hug. And he held him tightly, because only a moment ago, he didn't think he would ever hold him again.

And when Susan and Lucy joined in the hug, Peter felt so much relief. Because they had all survived. He managed to lead an army into battle, and keep his siblings alive. Edmund had nearly died, but, he managed to survive. Susan and Lucy were here, and they were safe, and they were alive.

Peter was there too. He was tired and sore, but he was okay. He had no more than a few scratches. He had actually survived. They all had, and Peter, was beyond grateful.

That day, Peter learned exactly what it means to go to war.

They could never teach it properly in school. Or show you how fateful it is through pictures. Or teach you how to lead an army. Nothing Peter had ever learned, seen, or been told, had prepared him for this. The only thing that prepared him for the battle, was fighting in it.

He knew the feeling of going to war, with an entire army behind you, ready to fight to the death with you. And for you.

He knew the feeling of losing soldiers, that had fought with him. And it wasn't one you would understand unless you've felt it.

And he knew the feeling, of watching the person you love most, being stabbed. And being able to do nothing to stop it. The feeling, when he believed Edmund was dead, was something Peter would never forget. And one he never wished to feel again.

But he also knew the feeling, of a leading an army to victory, even when victory seemed like a long shot.

And he knew the feeling of utter relief, when the person he loved most, who he thought to be dead, survived.

He knew the feeling, of the moment he realized he had led an army to victory, at only 17.

None or these were feelings you can teach. They were feelings you had to experience, otherwise, you'll never understand them. Not truly.

But Peter understood this feeling. And over time, it would become an all too familiar one. His brother and sisters would become familiar with it as well.

High King Peter, led the Narnians to victory countless times throughout his reign. But he led them into loss, and too much bloodshed many times too.

Peter realized over time, that he couldn't win every battle. And there would never be a battle without bloodshed. All he could do, was lead the Narnians, to the best of his ability. With all the strength, faith, and knowledge he had.

But, no matter the outcome, Peter always fought for the same reasons. And he would fight for these reasons, until his last breath.

For Narnia.
And for Aslan.

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

491K 14.7K 31
"You're not going anywhere, if anything your little boyfriend will just have another seat next to you." Peter threatens. A sharp laugh fell uncontrol...
65K 1.9K 37
"I've heard of this place." "You have?" "My mother used to tell me stories." ----------------------- Charlotte Baker always believed in a fantasy wor...
153K 4.5K 22
Emily isn't the same as before. She has lived 1300 years in a Narnia invaded by the Telmarines. Little does she know, that the boy she saved in the f...