Adopted by my teacher

By KarnnaSmith

I'm an orphan, Sophie is my name. I was taken to an orphanage by a social worker after the death of my parent... More

Chapter 1 Social Worker
Chapter 2 School
Chapter 3 Adoption Day
Chapter 4 Field Trip
Chapter 5 Adopt??
Chapter 6 The Weekend
Chapter 7 Trouble
Chapter 8 The Ride
Chapter 9 Holiday
Chapter 10 I'm Back
Chapter 11 New Girl
Chapter 12 The Incident
Chapter 13 Family Meeting
Chapter 14 Adoption Day
Chapter 15 Shopping
Chapter 16 Summer
Chapter 17 Family Trip
Chapter 18 My Birthday
Chapter 19 Sleepover
Chapter 20 New Grade
Chapter 21 First Day of High School
Chapter 22 Babysitting
Chapter 23 Sophie's Project
Chapter 25 Detention
Chapter 26 Family Night
Chapter 27 The Science Fair
Chapter 28 An Unexpected Guest
Chapter 29 Happy Easter
Chapter 30 Summer Days
Chapter 31 Graduation Day
Chapter 32 Sophie's Return
Chapter 33 A Family Addition
Chapter 34 The FinalΓ©

Chapter 24 Friendship

766 31 2
By KarnnaSmith

SOPHIE

"You four are going to do a group project together."

It was silent for all of two seconds before the girls and I was defying the words of the woman who sat on the edge of her desk. I sighed while trying to plead my case as well as the others.

"What!?" the girls half-shouted, sending her a horrified glance. "Not with her!"

"Excuse me?" said Calley, staring at us. "You all should be lucky to do a project with me; you might actually have a chance at passing for once." This alone sparked up another heated debate.

"I don't want or need your help," fussed Charlotte. "My grades are just fine, thank-you."

"Mines too!" Chelsea cut in before staring at her good for nothing friends, Britney and Macy. "Maybe you ought to teach them, considering that the only thing they're good at is blabbing their jaws off."

"Girls!" The blonde spoke once more. "May I finish?"

We turned our attentions back to Mom, softening under her hard gaze.

"Thank you," she sighed. "I was originally going to announce the assignment to the class Monday, but considering the circumstances I thought that I should make you aware of the task before the rest of the class. Now, all of your grades in my class are well at their peaks, however; that's not why I paired you together," Mom's eyes turned sharper. "In an attempt to end this rivalry with one another, I selected the four of you to complete this week's assignment that will be worth fifty percent of your grade. Who knows, you might end up liking the other's company; maybe even learn something from each other."

"As if," Calley whispered from under her breath, but I heard it anyway. Apparently so did Chels, who shot daggers in her direction.

Meanwhile, Mom reached inside her desk drawer and pulled out a small container. "You will draw a subject from here and write a paper about what it means to you, respectively. Then I want you to write a joint paper about what you have learned from the assignment, making a total of four papers." She pushed the holder towards me, and I reached in and pulled out a slip of paper.

"Friendship," I read from it.

Mom nodded wisely. "Good, you have chosen a subject that should be simple enough to do and have turned in by next week. Now, you are dismissed."

I would have happily stomped away from Calley, if given the chance. Problem was, her class and mine were in the same direction, so Chels and I had to walk slowly as the girl marched ahead with her two besties trailing behind her.

"Girls! Wait up!" Charlotte called after, causing us to freeze in place.

The four of us met up with each other as Charlotte spoke up.  "We haven't decided on a meeting place to plan the project and all."

"Didn't she say that we had to write our own papers, and then write the joint one?" Calley said, clearly uninterested.

"Charlotte's right, we should at least plan what we're going to write, so we're at least all on the same page," said Chelsea.

"I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to get everything out in the open..." I trailed off.

"Whatever," sighed Calley. She pulled out a pen and notepad from her backpack, scribbling her address on the pink sticky note. "We can meet up at my house tomorrow for lunch," she said as I took the pad from her outstretched hand. "Later, partners..."

Mom pulled up to Calley's house and I stepped out of the car. It was a traditional white, two-story house with a shingle roof, and there was a huge oak tree in the backyard. After bidding mom goodbye, I walked up to it, dreading every step I took. I couldn't believe that I was doing this. In fact, it wasn't something that I imagined myself ever doing. Calley has been my known nemesis since fifth grade. Why, remains the question. But I guess bullies like her don't really need a reason to make someone's life just as miserable.

I turned back to see the back of mom's car driving away. My only chance of getting out of this.

I sighed and rang the doorbell.

I could hear footsteps inside, coming forward. Seconds later, the door was opened by a short woman in a maid's dress.

"You must be Sophie, am I correct?" The maid smiled as I nodded, tugging onto my bag's straps.

"I am Leona, the housekeeper here," she introduced herself as she welcomed me inside.

Waiting at the door, stood Calley who made a face. "You came."

My smile faltered. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Well don't' just stand there, follow." she said, more like instructed, as she led me through her fairly large house. We soon reached the kitchen, where both Chels and Charlotte were sitting at the island with a notebook and an unopened box of pizza.

Calley shrugged. "The girls said we should wait until you come to eat. Though, I beg to differ."

"Aw, how sweet," I mocked sarcastically, joining the giggling girls at the table right next to Charlotte.

Calley looked up at me. "I trust you've brought the necessary materials?"

"If a piece of paper and a pen are the 'necessary materials', then yeah." I said while pulling the items out of my book bag and onto the flat surface.

As if on cue, Leona placed a plate topped with a slice of pizza in front of us before pouring us each a glass of iced lemonade.

We ate with little commotion as we polished off the single slice.

Calley wiped her mouth with a napkin. "I think we should start with the project, work for an hour, and then read to each other our progress."

"Sounds good to me," Chels agreed, placing down her glass before pulling a pen and paper from her pack, while both Charlotte and I got started.

"Hey, Calley. Do you know where my-"

A young woman with coffee colored hair and looked to be in her early twenties walked in, staring at us.

"What's wrong, Irene?" Calley asked with a frown.

"What's wrong?" The woman – Irene – seemed to have found her tongue. "You didn't tell me you were having friends over."

"As if," Calley assured her. "They're not my friends, just classmates. They won't be staying for long."

"Ouch," frowned Charlotte.

"So much for the peace treaty," Chels said, dropping her pen onto the countertop. "I say we blow this joint."

"And get a bad grade, no way," I told them. "This assignment could either make or break us."

Charlotte sighed, placing the pen back between the girl's fingers. "Soph's right. Though, the sooner we get this over with, the better."

"You shouldn't talk to your guests like that," the woman scolded her. "Didn't mom and dad just finish talking to you about that."

The sisters made eye contact and Irene raised her eyebrow at her. Calley shrugged.

"Fine..." she said with a huff, looking back at me and the girls. "I'm...sorry," she forced the word out. But as Irene left and went into the other room, Calley's smile faded away.

Moments later, Chelsea looked up from her notebook. "Are you girls ready to share what you've come up with?"

"Sure," said Charlotte and I while Calley nodded.

"I'll begin then," she picked up her notebook and cleared her throat. "To me, a friend means passion. A friend means forever existing love. A friend means many years of heartfelt times, but also grieving moments. When you just need that shoulder to cry on. Friends, or even more specifically, best friends, share a bond that can never be compared to anything else. It might twist. It might bend. It sometimes might even break, but that is when you separate the real friends from the fake. A friendship is not a meaning, but a message, that only they can understand."

"Nice work!"

"I like it," smiled Charlotte. "Good job."

"A little bit on the corny side, but I guess it'll do," Calley interrupted.

Chelsea's face turned a shade of red, looking back to her notebook.

Charlotte was there to protect her in seconds. "You weren't the only one to do your report like that. I did, too."

"No doubt," Calley said smugly.

"Well, if your paper is so good, why don't you read it to us?" I crossed my arms.

"Whatever," Calley dramatically cleared her throat, clearly mocking Chelsea. "I always felt like I never really understood friendship. I only knew that I did have friends that would never spread one of my secrets to another human being. I knew friendship was important, it was so very special to anyone who was lucky enough to receive it. It was like a dream come true. A friendship, for me, consists of more than history and must include support, checking up on each other's well being, and honesty..."

Calley stopped reading, not wanting to share the rest of her paper. Then looked up for a moment to see our shocked gazes looking at her from over her paper. "What?"

We stared at each other for a second or two, then shook our heads.

"Nothing," Chels gave her an approving look. "Not bad."

Charlotte and I agreed.

"Let me see your notebook," I told her.

Calley had gotten over her shock and was immediately on the defensive. "What? Why??"

"Calm down. I just want to see what you wrote so we can tell which parts we might want to keep."

Calley gave me a mistrustful glance, but handed it over anyway. I was about to start reading when I noticed something in the top right corner of the paper.

It took a minute or two for me to come back, and once I had, all I could focus on was the auburn haired girl.

"Your first name is Calandra?" I asked her, drawing the girls' attention. Just saying it out loud was strange to me. "But everyone calls you Calley."

Calley glared at me. "That's because it's my nickname,"she said matter-of-factly.

"Why don't you go by your real name?" asked Charlotte. "I think it's cute."

"Yeah, it fits you," agreed Chelsea.

"Whatever," said Calley with a slight smile plastered on her face. Noticing my stare, the frown returned in its place.

"I think this study session is over," she spoke in an annoyed tone, standing up.

A beeping noise then sounded as Charlotte reached into her bag to pull out the buzzing phone. "My mom's outside waiting for me."

Just then Leona re-entered the kitchen with news of her own. "Sophie and Chelsea, your rides are out front to take you home."

"Thanks," said Chels and slung her backpack over her shoulder.

I picked up my own and turned to Calley. "See you later, Calandra."

The girl rolled her eyes, escorting us to the front door.

"With any luck, we won't see each other at all."

"Well considering that we're stuck with this project, we have no other choice," said Charlotte, walking out after saying her goodbyes as Chels and I followed.

The next day in class, Charlotte and I entered mom's classroom, handing the woman our late slips before wandering over to where Chelsea was sitting at her desk, then took our seats.

"Hey, girls," Chels smiled at us. "For a minute I thought you two might've cut class."

"No way," I told her. "Mom would have a fit."

"Yeah, I had to tell Mrs. Massey, my band teacher, I wouldn't be able to make the meeting today," Charlotte sniffed. "Not that you two would understand."

I looked at Chelsea who rolled her eyes at the dramatic scene. "Oh calm down, Charlotte. There'll be other meetings," she said, giving her a small pat on the shoulder before her hand was swiped away.

I quietly laughed, forcing a straight face as Charlotte turned around to me with narrowed eyes.

"Now that we're all here," Calley smoothly interrupted, taking a desk next to mine. "We can finish up on the project. I'm halfway done with my paper. How far are you girls?"

"I haven't gotten very far," Charlotte admitted.

"Really?" Chelsea frowned. "I figured you'd be done already."

Charlotte sighed. "I've been busy with band and other homework, but don't worry. I'll be finished with it on time."

"Anyhow," Calley said before staring at me. "How far are you, Sophie?"

"I'm done."

"What?" They all said.

"I didn't have much homework to do last night, so I decided to finish my draft and then had my mom confirm it."

"Mine is like, half a page," Chelsea told us. "Another page-and-a-half left and I'll be done myself."

"I think we should meet up after school today to start on the joint project," Calley said, changing the subject.

The rest of the girls and I agreed.

"Same place?" asked Chels.

We looked over to Calley expectantly. "Sorry, Irene has the house booked for her meeting with her sorority sisters."

"We could go to my house," I offered.

"Okay," said Chels.

"It's cool with me," Calley agreed.

Charlotte nodded. "Yes, it's fine with me as well."

"Whoa, Soph! This house is amazing!" Chelsea exclaimed, stepping inside.

"Thanks," I giggled, closing the door behind the last one, which was Calley.

She looked around curiously. "It's weird knowing that I'm inside my teacher's house."

The girls giggled as they bypassed her, following me down the entrance hall.

"Speaking of 'our' teacher, she's upstairs working but said to call if we needed help or anything," I told them as they placed down their belongings in the living room. "Do you girls want anything to eat or drink?"

"Sure," Charlotte accepted.

"A drink would be nice, actually."

"What do you have?" asked Calley.

I walked into the kitchen. "Now, I don't really offer people some of my secret stash, but I guess you can have some," I brought out a box from the back of the cupboard. "Herbal tea, anyone?"

After the girls confirmed, I began to heat the water.

Once drinks and a few snacks were passed out, we settled in the living area and got to work.

"Soph!" Alicia frowned at me as she walked up, joining me and Charlotte at our table. "Why didn't you call me the other day?"

"I didn't have a chance," I replied. "Calley and the rest stopped by to work on our class assignment."

Alicia's eyebrows relaxed as she smiled. "I guess you girls are friends, then."

"We're just friends of the circumstances," said Charlotte. "She's technically forced to work with us."

I agreed, "I'm sure that if we didn't have the partnership, we would go back to fighting, like usual."

Once the bell rang, Charlotte and I bid Alicia goodbyes and walked to English class.

"This class period will be dedicated to working on your projects, since they are all due on Monday," Mom looked around the room, giving every student a sharp look and taking a large gulp of her coffee mug. "I will not be accepting any late work." Groans could be heard around the classroom. "Now, split up into groups."

"How much progress have you made, Chels?" I asked.

"I just need to put on the finishing touches."

"Me, too," Charlotte smiled up at us.

"This project is coming along nicely. I think we should add a page or two onto the joint one, and then we will be finished," said Calley.

"Great," I said, then suggested, "I say we should get together tonight to get it over with."

"Sorry, Soph," Charlotte cut in. "I'm busy tonight."

"What are you doing?" Calley asked.

"Band practice. No exceptions."

"While we're on the subject of practice," Chelsea said, staring at Calley. "I heard you and the devil sisters spat on my way to gym class."

Calley rolled her eyes. "Yeah, they're not really happy with my distant behavior." She looked over to catch Britney's bored expression in the next group over. "They think I'm avoiding them or something."

"Aw," Charlotte cooed. "Have you been paying more attention to us than your sidekicks?"

"No way. I've just been busy."

"But you've been free every time we work on the project," said Chelsea with a rising smile.

Calley opened then closed her mouth wordlessly, before looking away. "Whatever."

"Okay girls," I laughed good naturedly. "Back off."

"You know, it's better to face up to the truth," Charlotte said, a smirk on her face.

"I can't wait to get this over with," Calley muttered.

"I'm sure," Chels replied with a laugh.

I smiled as I watched the pleasant squabbling continue. Maybe we really were friends.

"What time is it?" asked Charlotte.

We were at my house, finishing up the project. Calley was sprawled out on the floor in front of the coffee table and Charlotte and Chels were sitting on the couch with me.

I looked at the clock. "Four thirty."

"Aw," Chels whined. "My ride should be here soon."

"Yes," Charlotte agreed. "Mines too."

"Yeah, well we finished the project an hour ago. I really have no idea what we're still doing here," said Calley, packing up her things inside her backpack.

"When's your ride coming to pick you up?"

She checked her phone. "In thirty minutes."

"Well," Charlotte said. "Want to watch some cartoons while we wait?"

"Yeah," Chels and I agreed.

Calley opened her mouth, but Chels butted in. "I don't want to hear any complaints. We're going to watch silly cartoons and gossip and act like total girls until it's time to go home."

Calley frowned. "Can we at least make them action cartoons?"

The girls and I laughed. "I guess."

"Give your projects to me before you sit down," Mom instructed, glaring at us from over the top of her coffee mug.

I held in my hands the cause that led to everything that has happened the past couple of days. Twelve pages of what friendship meant to each of us and why. The girls, including Calley were already in their seats, chatting with each other.

I handed it to Mom, who looked up at me with a neutral smirk formed on her face.

"Did you learn something about each other?"

I nodded, a wistful expression on my face. But I had a feeling that she already knew that.

"Good job," Mom smiled.

Then the bell rang.

"That was the tardy bell, students," Mom gave a sharp look as the standing boys and girls hurried to get into their assigned seats.

I walked back to my seat, mind whirling. Maybe mom's idea wasn't so crazy after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 108 31
Nova Wild just seems to make Spock feel something he's never felt before. Nova feels the same but is scared to be hurt again. They both cautiously tr...
11K 116 38
Finished! Sequel coming soon! Y/n l/n, schools famous daughter of the principal journeys herself in this disastrous place with one boy and one anima...
142K 279 17
Wlw thoughts Men DNI 🚫 If you don't like these stories just block don't report One more thing you clicked on it girlypop this a SMUT book there's g...
637K 21.4K 40
Iris Mondeau wakes up one day in a new world and discovers just how shockingly the new world is. She tries to adapt and gets used to her new life, un...