Rookie - The Amazon | Ethan R...

By Kiara-m-m

As her first year as an intern at Edenbrook draws near its end, after having to fight for her career while fa... More

Prologue
Chapter 1~ First Love
Chapter 3~ Responsibility
Chapter 4~ Open Love
Chapter 5~ Hopeless
Epilogue

Chapter 2~ Closer

588 25 2
By Kiara-m-m

Closer

°●°☆°●°☆°●°

It had been three weeks since Blue's letter.

Ethan figured that it was partly his fault for not replying, and Blue probably thought it was a waste of time to keep sending anyway. However, he also had a feeling that she was most probably too busy to write as her intern examinations were coming up as well.

Things in the Amazon hadn't been getting much better. The amount of infected people was still increasing but however, Ethan and the team of doctors that were dispatched there had a strong lead in figuring out the nature and type of the virus.

Ethan realized his body was not working as fast as his mind, and he badly needed a recharge. He had been working tirelessly for three weeks straight, studying and treating those with the virus by trying to manage the symptoms at the initial stage.

Everytime he felt that he was going to pass out from fatigue, his mind would always drift to Blue. The way she worked her ass off everyday to prove that she was deserving of her spot in the diagnostic team, but also because she cared about the quality of patient care.

If she as an intern, could do it, he could too.

He persevered on with thoughts of her. Ethan felt like a fool for thinking that running away to a damn rainforest would help him forget Blue. All he ended up doing was think about her more. He had half a mind to fly back to Boston, but he had taken an Oath. He was already here, and his love for medicine overpowered the fatigue.

But that day, he knew he had overworked himself way overboard, and if he did not relax and rest, he would not be able to continue working properly.

So that night, Ethan entered his tent with a bottle of Brazillian whisky which was delivered to him from Natu Nobilis, upon his request. He needed to just have a drink, and wind down before going to bed.

No more working for the rest of the night.

He set the bottle of whiskey down on his foldable desk, when he notice an envelope on it. It didn't take long for him to realize that it was from Blue again. Ethan was elated as he felt the familiar fluttering all over in the pit of his stomach.

He quickly got a silver tumblr from the foldable cabinet beside his desk, before pouring some whisky from the bottle in it. He took a sip, letting the cool heavy liquid settle down his throat, quenching his thirst. He sighed heavily before opening up the letter.

"Hey Ethan, it's me again. I know I have not written to you in three weeks. I really wanted to, but I had been too caught up in cases Zaid had been assigning me as well as with my intern exam being held this week. It went well by the way, I studied hard for it."

Ethan read and immediately smiled. He knew it. There was no way Blue stopped writing willingly, and instead focusing on her intern exam. He was proud that she found the exam managable. He had no qualms or worries in that aspect as he knew Blue was brilliant and hardworking.

"Also, after the exam, my friends and I played a prank on Zaid at Donahue's. Reggie helped us with it, you should have seen his face when Reggie said he only at apple cider left in the bar."

Ethan chuckled at that. Reggie always got along with all the bar-goers and even played along with some of their drunk antics. It was also how he and Reggie became good friends, or had a good arrangement according to Ethan, as well, back when he was an intern too.

"I'm not sure if you have been keeping in contact with Naveen, but I had lunch with him the other day. He's been improving very well, so don't worry too much about him. I've been keeping an eye out for him."

Ethan knew. He had been in contact with Naveen. He had heard all of Blue's case wins, and how she had been constantly making sure the new chief had been taking his medications and having ample rest. Ethan was immensely grateful to Blue for that.

"Also...Landry, got out of jail through bail. My parents had informed me, that the case that they had filed against him was not able to be as strong as the opposing lawyer, as they had managed to very convincingly twist the evidence by saying that there was no way Landry could have seen the gun. Although Landry had admitted to the complaint at first, I have no idea who had managed to persuade him to change his statement. Either ways, he was able to get out, with his medical license intact, just that he is on suspension for two months. He has transferred to Mass Kenmore."

As Ethan read those words, his hand that was holding onto his cup of whiskey shook with rage. He hated how anyone could cheat and manipulate the system even if they had committed the crime. There was only one way he could have gotten out, from the help of someone who was either very rich, or someone who was very powerful and had a lot of connections. Taking a quick gulp of his whiskey, Ethan dipped down to continue reading her letter.

"I'm just glad I won't have to see him again. But anyways, I really miss you. Not having you by my side during the preparations for intern exams as well as hearing about Landry really was not easy for me. You have always made me feel save even though everyone always feels like I should be saving myself from you. But, they don't know. They don't know that you have always been the one saving me. I miss you a lot, and I don't expect you to write to me back. I just hope you're reading all of this and if it helps you even if just a little, I will be very happy. Take care of yourself and remember to rest.

Love,
Rookie"

Just like the first time, Ethan felt several tears trickle down his cheeks this time. He did not know if it was the alcohol in his system or the intensity of the emotions in the letter Blue had wrote that stirred up his tears.

Probably both, he concluded as he wiped them.

Blue did not expect anything at all in return from him, and that was what made Ethan all the more guilty and ashamed. He had left her back in Boston and came all the way to the Amazon to give them space in order to reset whatever they had. He hurt her, but she still had so much love for him, that even from a different continent, she still managed to give him strength.

Similarly to the first time, Ethan took out a piece of paper to write a letter that would never ever be read by Blue.

"Hello again, Rookie. I'm glad to hear from you again. I have missed you too. The past three weeks have been hard, but your letter has really given me strength to press on. I have been in contact with Naveen, but I'm also glad to hear firsthand from you that he is doing a lot better as he usually does not always tell me the whole truth to get me to not worry.

Also about Olsen...I know you are probably not feeling good about it, with your headaches after all that trauma, and I really wish I could be there for you. But don't worry, I will do whatever that is in my power to make sure he doesn't even think about laying a hand directly or indirectly on you.

My team here and I have found a good lead about the virus. It's been showing early symptoms of Nipah virus that is being caused by the increased deforestation in this area, but we can't be too sure yet. I'm just hoping that our hunch is right, so that we can start treatment as soon as possible.

On a brighter side, while I was resting for lunch, a monkey brought her baby to come see me. She even sat on my lap with her baby. Some of the local doctors had told me that it may be because they can sense if someone is lonely. And...they are probably right. I'm surrounded by so many people everyday, but I still feel so alone because I left you back in Edenbrook. And I have no one to blame but myself. I'm so sorry, Rookie.

Love,
E.R."

Ethan signed off the letter with his intials before slumping back in his chair sighing heavily. He placed both his and Blue's letter back in the envelope, before slotting in his suitcase, along with the first envelope.

He emptied his bottle of whiskey before heading for bed, as he let his mind wander off.

He had come so far away from home to create some space between himself and his Rookie, but all that the distance ended up doing, was bring them together even...closer.

...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.8K 631 52
Based on Pixelberrys popular book series 'Open Heart', this AU follows the often complicated relationship of now 27 year old Doctor Valerie Valentine...
136K 13.6K 46
~Highest Rank #60 in humor~ ~#3 in death and life~ Sixteen year old Genevieve Kaelin considers herself a loner, neither a misanthrope nor a deviant...
370K 25.5K 78
BOOK 4 COMPLETE Kaden is the Beta of Blackstone pack, and while fated mates are part of his world, he never gave much thought to finding his own, or...
3.8K 229 46
After the events of his intern year, Felix Alexander is sure that there is no way, that Sienna Trinh can be with him. Heartbroken, he begins his seco...