Misery Blues

By xtoni4nn

Veronica 'Roni' Blues hides her bruises behind her baggy clothes and long hair, she hides her feelings behind... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1 - Unfamiliar ground
Chapter 2 - I like your tattoos
Chapter 3 - Slut isn't my style
Chapter 4 - You aren't my dad
Chapter 6 - Bad day, Kid?
Chapter 7 - Christ Almighty
Chapter 8 - Her little Angel
Chapter 9 - Crazy Butter Roll
Chapter 10 - Don't touch me!
Chapter 11 - Emergency Situation
Chapter 12 - Not the Pizza Guy
Chapter 13 - Look at her
Chapter 14 - Starting Over
Chapter 15 - Any color but Pink
Chapter 16 - This isn't over
Chapter 17 - Care To Dance?
Chapter 18 - Diana
Chapter 19 - Roxas's Story
Chapter 20 - Most Definitely.
Chapter 21 - The Panic Attack
Chapter 22 - A slow Melody
Chapter 23 - Missing Lightbulb
Chapter 24- Love like no other
Chapter 25 - Part of the Deal
Chapter 26 - The End.

Chapter 5 - Trouble

28.8K 855 235
By xtoni4nn

I barely slept last night, I was rolling around, wondering if David was going to sneak in and get me late at night. This morning, I realized it was all pointless, because David never does it on Tuesday nights. He works once a week and that's on Wednesdays. He leaves me alone on these two days, because he sleeps early on Tuesdays, so he isn't tired when he wakes up in the morning. And he doesn't bother me on Wednesdays, because he is so exhausted when he gets home. I don't know what he does, or how much he gets paid. I just wish he did it more often.

I decide to dress a little lighter today, because I don't want people wondering about my choice in clothes. I go with Zebra leggings and Black ballet flats on my feet. I'm wearing a tight, black, long sleeved shirt. It's long enough to cover my butt. The neck line dips sort of low, but I have a spaghetti string shirt underneath, and the large hickey and other small bruises on my chest are covered, along with my black eye.

I hear my brother pull up on our gravel drive-way and run downstairs and outside to our porch. I watch as Denton pulls up in his PathFinder. He smiles at me and grabs my backpack as I walk to the front seat of his car - only to stop when I notice that girl sitting there. I look back at Denton who shrugs. I sigh and hop in the back, to be greeted by Martin.

"Heard you joined that band class." Lexi says from the front, turning toward me as Denton drives. "Denton didn't tell me you were a geek."

"Lexi." Denton's voice sounds stern, chastising her. "She isn't a Geek. She is just good at that whole music thing."

"And in school. She's smart." Martin points out. "How else would she be in my Science class?"

"You're an idiot, Martin." Lexi says, shaking her head. "She's two grades younger than you, how is she in your science class?" She giggles. "Oh yeah, you failed last year didn't you?"

"Only Science." Martin argues. "At least it's not math. How are you graduating this year anyway? you haven't passed math since Freshman year."

"HEY!" Lexi reaches back and slaps him on the arm. "I am going to graduate. The guidance counselor made sure of that."

"Yeah, by putting you in three stupid math classes." Denton jumps in, chuckling.

I end up laughing at that too, causing her to glare at me before turning around and letting out a huff of air. Martin bursts out laughing and leans on me to support himself. I try to shake him off, but he isn't budging. Idiots.

Once we park at school, I hop out quickly. I don't really like attracting attention, which is all these three attract. I realized yesterday, they are the most popular kids here.

My brother is the captain of the football team, the track star and handsome. He grabs the attention of everyone and has girls throwing themselves at his feet.

Lexi is the head cheerleader, Homecoming and Prom Queen candidate, the role model of all younger kids here. She is gorgeous and rich, which helps her pull off almost any fashion statement. She is also dating my brother, which is a bonus.

Martin is the Student council president, he is friendly and the goalie of the soccer team, as well as being co-captain of the football team. He is Lexi's twin brother, which makes him cool with the guys - and shares some of her looks, which has girls always trying to be with him.

They are the meaning of attention.

I try to get away before they come climbing out of the car, but Martin pulls at my arm. He drags me over to the other side of the parking lot as he follows behind my brother and Lexi. He is talking about something, but I ignore him - because right now I'm trying not to scream out bloody murder as my arm throbs painfully. I know that my wrist must be fractured, but I can't go to the hospital or anything - so I try to ignore it.

Once we finally stop, I realize I am standing next to basically the whole football team, with some of the more popular cheer leaders. I actually see a few kids from my band class here too. Big crowd, but they are all pretty people. I groan inwardly, my brother is trying to make me join his little friendship circle again.

Why can't Denton be like most older brothers and ignore my existence at school? Why does he want me to fit in so much? It's not like he knows the real me anymore, before yesterday, I didn't see him in at least three weeks. He was with Martin's family in Mexico, and before that they were in Hawaii, and before that France. Why now? Why not then? Why not when I needed him most?

"Sup, guys?" Denton says, after slapping Martin's hand away from mine. He pushes my shoulders toward the kids who were in my band class. They smile at me, and I know that they play more mainstream instruments, like drums and bass guitar. They try to have a conversation with me, but I can tell they are only doing it because Denton asked. I roll my eyes and reply to whatever they ask me. In the middle of one of their sentences they are cut off by the roaring of a motorcycle. It's loud and seems to be close. All of our heads snap up and watch as a motorcycle rides in our direction.

One of the guys on the football team screams "Disperse." And everyone is jumping in different directions, out of the way of the on coming cyclist. I take two steps back and watch as he passes, knowing right away who it is. Roxas eyes me quickly, before zooming passed us. the guys on the team throw curses and insults at him for driving through their little group. Honestly, he had every right to do it, we are the ones standing in the middle of the parking lot like idiots.

I look over to where he parked and say goodbye to the kids I was talking to, before jogging over to him. He pulls his helmet off and smiles at me as I approach.

"Had no idea this was your type of crowd." He says, ruffling his hair.

"It's not." I admit with a shrug. "My brother keeps trying to make it my crowd, though."

"Ah, Denton Blues is your brother." He says as if he just realized.

"Finally put the pieces of the puzzle together, I see." I joke, "Doesn't seem like you two have a very friendly relationship."

"It's not unfriendly, but you're right. It's not friendly either." Roxas sighs as we start walking toward the school. "Long story, no time to tell it now. How about you ask him?"

"Don't see him enough to do that." I smile at my shoes. "Only time I see him is when he brings me to and from school, he lives with Martin and Lexi now."

"Interesting." Roxas says flatly, as if it was anything but interesting. I shrug it off and we head off in different directions - him to his locker and me to English. When the bell rings, Cassadee basically talks my ear off about the book. She doesn't get it and doesn't want to read it, because in her words 'It's to long and I have no time for a book based on prostitutes.'

I try explaining that Gieshas' were more than just prostitutes, and how it's interesting. But, I realized It was like trying to convince a kid to give away their favorite toy. Useless, because it's not happening.

In Environmental Studies, Mrs.Kindly popped in some video and handed out question sheets. We had to watch the movie and answer the questions on the paper. It was a video about birds and the questions were all basically :

'What's New Jersey's state bird?'

'What noise does a House fynch make?'

'Why do woodpeckers peck?'

Plus other more ridiculous questions. Roxas comes in late, again. He slides down in his seat and starts to copy off of me right away, I send him a little glare before pulling my paper away. He gives me this huge smile, which makes a little dimple on his left cheek appear. Cute.

Roxas decides to walk with me to Pre Calc, since apparently our classes around right next to each other. For some reason his eyes have been glued to my neck, but he doesn't say anything. So after we go our separate ways, I get paranoid. I ask my Math teacher for a bathroom pass and stare straight in the mirror. There is a dark bruise on the side of my neck, I remember it. It was from the other night when David tried to choke me. It was the shape of his thumb, and the only one I forgot to cover. I curse silently as I pull my make up bag out. I guess no body else noticed because my hair was down until a few minutes ago. I was getting a little hot, so I put my curly brown hair into a pony-tail. I shake my head and let my hair fall back down, I don't need anyone else noticing or asking questions.

Lunch was quiet and uneventful, I sit next to Cass and Alek. Ignoring the stairs from my brother's table, I'm guessing he wanted me to sit there - but it's so uncomfortable being under his watchful gaze. So, I decided sitting with my friends is a better choice. Roxas doesn't drop by this time, and I know that I will have to face him eventually.

Once it's time for band, I walk in slowly - I'm a little tired out from the work out given to us in gym and all I want to do is sit down. But, obviously Mr.Mace has other plans.

"Veronica, perfect timing." He smiles at me as I walk in. I notice Roxas already standing near the piano, an acoustic guitar in his hands. Mr.Mace guides me over to the piano and sits me down.

"I would like to see your skill on the piano. I've ordered your violin but I would still like to hear your piano." He smiles widely, showing me that he is missing a few teeth in the back. It compliments the fact that he is balding, giving him a hill-billy look. I nod and look over to see Roxas smiling at me, he has his guitar next to him. He was playing it when he walked in, but put it down to watch me.

"Do you have anything in mind?" Mr.Mace continues. "I have music sheets."

"I don't need them." I inform him, sitting down and letting my fingers warm up against the unfamiliar keys. I sing to myself quietly as I play.

Oh no, I see.

A spider web is tangled up with me And I lost my head.

And thought of all the stupid things I'd said.

Oh no, what's this?

A spider web and I'm caught in the middle.

So I turn to run, and thought of all the stupid things I'd done.

And I, I never meant to cause you trouble.

And I, I never meant to do you wrong.

And I, well if I ever caused you trouble

And oh no, I never meant to do you harm.

Oh no, I see.

A Spider web, and it's me in the middle.

So I twist and turn.

But, here am I in my little bubble.

Singing that I, I never meant to cause you trouble.

And I, I never meant to do you wrong.

And I, well if I ever caused you trouble

And oh no, I never meant to do you harm.

They spun a web for me.

"I am unfamiliar with that song, what was it?" Mr.Mace asks me, his eyes a little wide.

"It was Trouble,"I inform him. "It's a song by the band Coldplay. I enjoy more modern songs, rather than classical, though if you want I can play you a classical song if that wasn't what you wanted."

"No, that was good. I enjoyed it. You told me you could play piano and Violin, but you said nothing of your singing voice." He says, a little twinkle in his eye shows me I sparked his interest. "Would you like to Join our drama club?"

"Oh, no." I laugh, "I don't have confidence in my voice. I just sang along to the song because it felt proper." I rub the back of my neck.

"Think about it." Mr.Mace insists. "Our Drama club isn't very large, and we are always looking for new members."

"I will consider it." I nod, standing up. He nods and walks away to speak to another student and Roxas claps me on the back. I bite my lip to stop from letting out a whimper and turn to face him. He looks at me, with curious eyes before shaking it off.

"That was really good." He compliments. I smile, feeling my pride soar. I love getting compliments on my playing, it makes me feel good about myself. The bell rings and I say goodbye and walk out, Roxas watches me leave. I bite my lip to stop the smile growing on my face. I think I know what my favorite class.

I meet my brother outside, he doesn't have Martin or Lexi with him this time. He runs out to meet me and looks apologetic.

"Roni, I can't bring you home today. I have practice, do you think you could catch a ride with one of your friends or walk?" That explains it. I nod and tell him I am willing to walk. He apologizes a few more times, but I shrug it off. It's not that far of a walk anyway. I walk through the parking lot, and nearly get knocked off my feet. Roxas stops me from hitting the ground by grabbing onto my arms. I look up at him and sigh, why do I always bump into this guy?

"Where you headed, isn't your brother's car over there?" 

"Home, my brother has practice so I have to walk." I inform him, I watch as he bites his lip and looks up as if he was thinking.

"I have time," He says to himself. "Do you want a ride?"

I look at his motorcycle. "On that?" I ask.

"Yeah, you're not scared of them, right?" He jokes, handing me his helmet.

"No." I say, stubbornly. I've never been on one before, and honestly, I am a little scared. But, I have this problem, where I love thrill seeking. Riding on that will be a thrill. I just shrug and agree, and tell him my address.

I hop on behind him and wrap my arms around his waist as he starts up. I close my eyes as we start riding, but eventually open them to watch as we pass through our little town. This is fun. It takes about three minutes for him to pull up in front of my little house, and by then I am strangely out of breath. He chuckles as he removes my hands from his waist and helps me down.

"Have fun?" He asks me, I find myself nodding with a growing smile on my face. It really was fun. He waves goodbye as I walk up to the door, but doesn't leave until I'm safely inside. I smile as I watch him kick-start and leave.

Today has been a good day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 139 58
Ashlyn Ross is a normal teenage girl -to the outside world that is. she has a secret identity and only her parents and trusted trainer knows. she's...
4.4M 100K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
3K 797 32
"Beauty can be lethal as it is alluring" Story of a bullied loner girl. Violet has grown up all her life with being bullied and abused.Her father has...
48 3 10
Will the burning pain in your heart be mended by another new love? Verรณnica Bianchi is shy, passionate, impulsive, and independent. Her life changed...