The Devil of Scarlet Rain

By Naiadianne

She was born to live as a man for her entire lifetime. Not an ordinary man, but a man who bore the name of th... More

Prologue - Dancing to the Devil's Cry
Chapter 1 - Living in an Endless Dream (Part 1)
Chapter 2 - Living in an Endless Dream (Part 2)
Chapter 3 - One Down, One More to Go
Chapter 4 - The Pride of an Emperor
Chapter 5 - The Daughter of The Sun
Chapter 6 - The Letter
Chapter 7 - Remembering Her Smile and Tears
Chapter 8 - Unexpected Outcome
Chapter 9 - The Unanswered Questions
Chapter 10 - Wanted Criminal
Chapter 11 - The Purple Azaleas (Part 1)
Chapter 12 - The Purple Azaleas (Part 2)
Chapter 13 - Interrogation (Part 1)
Chapter 14 - Interrogation (Part 2)
Chapter 16 - The Red Lantern Manor (Part 1)
Chapter 17 - The Red Lantern Manor (Part 2)
Chapter 18 - The Red Lantern Manor (Part 3)
Chapter 19 - The Flowers Did Not Wither, But the Heart Had Died
Chapter 20 - Yun Shang Xing Yu (Part 1)
Chapter 21 - Yun Shang Xing Yu (Part 2)
Chapter 22 - The Woman in the Portrait
Chapter 23 - Enemy on a narrow road
Chapter 24 - Children of the Zheng Clan (Part 1)
Chapter 25 - Children of the Zheng Clan (Part 2)
Chapter 26 - Children of the Zheng Clan (Part 3)
Chapter 27 - A Bet (Part 1)
Chapter 28 - A Bet (Part 2)
Chapter 29 -True Identity (Part 1)
Chapter 30 - True Identity (Part 2)
Chapter 31 - True Identity (Part 3)
Chapter 32 - True Identity (Part 4)
Chapter 33 - The Confrontation (Part 1)
Chapter 34 - The Confrontation (Part 2)
Chapter 35 - The Confrontation (Part 3)
Chapter 36 - Conflict of the Past (Part 1)
Chapter 37 - Conflict of the Past (Part 2)
Chapter 37 - Accomplice
Chapter 39 - Taking Joy on Others Misfortune
Chapter 40 - Locked in the Golden Cage (Part 1)
Chapter 41- Locked in the Golden Cage (Part 2)
Chapter 42 - The Banquet (Part 1)
Chapter 42 - The Banquet (Part 2)
Chapter 44 - The Intention of the Emperor
Chapter 45 - The Immortal Flame (Part 1)
Chapter 46 - The Immortal Flame (Part 2)
Chapter 47 - Prince Mo Lie Yun (Part 1)
NOTES FROM AUTHOR AND EDITOR

Chapter 15 - End of Our Fate

32 0 0
By Naiadianne

"What an honour to have Lord Zheng personally visiting me today."

With his hand clasped behind his back, Yin He strode into the main hall with a wide smile on his face. His mood was exceptionally pleasant after making Zheng Qing Yao wait for him for almost half a day.

Qing Yao, on the other hand, just gave a perfunctory nod at him. Seeing Yin He's somewhat smug attitude, he decided not to split hairs over unimportant matter and go straight to the point.

"I believe Lord Yin is very clear on my purpose of visit today."

"I do? Hmm..."

Yin He pretended to think hard for a moment and finally shrugged his shoulder helplessly.

"I think it is better for Lord Zheng to state it clearly. I really cannot read your mind."

Seeing Yin He purposely putting up an act in front of him, Qing Yao frowned, but maintained his composure as he stated clearly, "I believe my friend is in Lord Yin's manor now. I am here to bring her home."

Yin He slapped his folding fan onto his palm with a look of realisation, "Ah! Are you talking about Meng Yu?"

"Yes." Qing Yao nodded as he replied firmly.

There was an unreadable smile on Yin He's face as he leisurely sat down and took his time to pour a cup of tea for himself. The servant standing at the corner came forward to help him, but he waved them off. Yin He picked up the cup but did not drink from it. Instead, he rested his face on his left hand while he admired the cup of tea in his right hand.

"Lord Zheng seems to care very much about this friend of yours. I am really interested in the relationship between the two of you." He commented casually before taking a sip, but his eyes remained glued to Zheng Qing Yao.

Qing Yao was not affected by his words as he replied calmly, "Please do not misunderstand. She is a very precious friend. That is all."

Yin He laughed sarcastically. "A precious friend?" He shook his head in disbelief before continuing, "In that case, why does your sister want to kill her?"

Upon the mention of Huo Yan, Qing Yao's expression turned grim and he reprimanded sternly, "I hope Lord Yin will consider your own position and do not simply speak such words without any solid proof."

Hearing his rebuke, Yin He's brows raised. He looked amused as he repeated after Qing Yao, "Without any solid proof?"

Setting down the cup on his hand, Yin He remarked, "You are right. I might have witnessed a very brutal scene in the street today, but there are no other witnesses. All the dead bodies found are actually criminals who had long served their death sentence."

He leaned back on his chair, and continued, "How can a supposedly dead person die again? I did not manage to capture the culprit and the victim is someone who cannot testify. It is as if what happened today did not occur at all. Very well planned indeed."

Seeing Qing Yao did not look surprise to hear his analysis, Yin He smirked knowingly.

"Since Lord Yin has already figure out everything, then there is no need for you to keep Meng Yu here. Please let her go."

Yin He did not reply, but instead took his own sweet time to pour himself another cup of tea. Qing Yao frowned, but he knew he could not rush anything now that Yin He was holding the upper card. He had no choice but to wait patiently.

The sun was beginning to set, and after a long moment of silence, Yin He finally placed the cup down, and said nonchalantly, "I am afraid that you have already missed her."

Qing Yao's expression immediately darkened, and his eyes carried a trace of anger, which was a rare sight. Yin He lighten up to see the ever-calm youth finally showing some emotions.

"What do you mean?"

"Like you say, there is no point in keeping her here, so I had already sent her away a few hours ago. Since she had suffered so much, I feel really bad for her, and generously gave her a good horse and some money. However, I do not think that she is heading back to the Silver Sky Mansion."

Yin He paused for a moment, as he revealed a conflicted look on his face.

"Since she already knows who the perpetrator is, I do not think she will be so foolish as to go back. With the money I gave her, it should be sufficient for her to leave the city to live a simple and peaceful life somewhere else."

Qing Yao's face dropped immediately, as he clenched his fist tightly. His usually gentle like the spring breeze demeanour became extremely guarded. He did not know why, but he suddenly found it difficult to swallow.

"What... did you say to her?"

Yin He's lips curled upward. It was like watching the iceberg slowly melt under the sun. How fascinating. The outcome is the same as what he thought it would be.

"The truth." He enunciated each word carefully.

"You did this purposely!" Qing Yao growled furiously, as he stood up abruptly from his seat. His eyes narrowed angrily at Yin He, and it took him his all to not lunged at Yin He and grabbed him by his collar.

Yin He just shrugged his shoulder in reply, as if he was oblivious to Qing Yao's anger.

"Instead of wasting your time here, I think you should quickly go and look for her" Yin He tilted his head and gave Qing Yao what he considered as his most helpful smile, "Or you might never see her again."

***

It was the middle of the night when Qing Yao finally returned to his manor. His usually neat attire was messy, and worry was etched on his face. Seeing Mu Yin waiting at the entrance, he quickly dismounted from his horse.

"Did she come back?"

He was anxious to the point that even Mu Yin could hear it in his voice. She shook her head, and Qing Yao was visibly disappointed. He let out a long sigh as he looked up at the dark night. The usually bright moon hanging in the sky was hidden behind the clouds today, and for whatever reason, his heart felt empty.

He had tried searching everywhere, but there was no news of her. Perhaps, like what Yin He said, there was no reason for her to come back. After all, he had broken his promise.

"It is late. You have been out for the whole day. Please get some rest. I have already instructed the servants to keep the door open till morning, and they will take shift to guard. They will inform us if Meng Yu returns."

Qing Yao smiled wanly as he replied, "I am fine. You should go ahead and rest instead."

Mu Yin knew Qing Yao's temperament very well, so she did not speak further and quietly retreated.

The wind at night was very strong and in the midst of the chilling cold, Qing Yao stood numbly by the entrance of the manor. He was holding a lantern in his hand, and his gaze was always looking toward the far end of the street, as if hoping to see the Meng Yu's figure appearing there. He had always been someone rationale and composed, but for the first time ever, he did not understand the turmoil in his heart. This kind of feeling slightly confused him.

All sort of emotions was brewing within his heart. Helpless for not being able to keep his promise. Regretful for not having the chance to explain to her. Angry because she left without even bidding farewell, and lastly sad because they might never meet again.

People come and go in life. He thought he was used to it, but he did not understand why this time, he was so reluctant to part with this person, even though they had just gotten to know each other not too long ago.

Even the guards guarding by the gate had changed a few times, but he still stood rooted to the spot, unmoving. When the first ray of sunlight started to light up the dark sky in a rosy hue, realisation hits him hard as if someone had just punched him in the gut.

She is not coming back.

He closed his eyes, reminiscing the time they stood at the corridor, watching the rain cascading from the sky together. It gave him a very peaceful feeling. It was also the time when she gave him her name. Meng (Dream) Yu (Rain). Just like her name, her existence was indeed like a dream. When the rain stopped and the sun came out from behind the clouds, the rain would disappear without a trace, just like her. Even so, he knew he would always remember her.

In this world as vast as the endless ocean, will they ever have a chance to meet again?

Perhaps... this is the end of their fate?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 1K 57
"mom, dad, Im married!" lahat ng relatives namin ay nagulat sa announcment ko. Sino ba naman kasi ang mag aakala na ang unica ija ng pamilyang Letpr...
264K 8.7K 104
"Choi Sarang I'm in love with you. I've always been and I'll always be." Jungkook whispered to Sarang. Follow the life of Sarang, the first and only...
39.8K 3K 43
In their previous life, taehyung had been overweight. His face was covered in acne. Yet jungkook still forcefully ate him up. Exactly how much did h...