Summer Before Fame

By bignydollasss

"She could've left and she ain't leave my side." -Kentrell Kentrell and Yara meet as kids and grow a strong b... More

Cast
"We were just kids."
Chapter 1 "Friends"
Chapter 2 "Cornerstore walks, Barbershop talks"
Chapter 3 "Reassurance"
Chapter 4 "Soulless"
Chapter 5 " Redemption"
Chapter 6 "I Wonder"
Chapter 7 "Reminiscing"
Chapter 8 "Tatted on my Mind"
Chapter 9 "We All Eat"
Chapter 10 "On the Right Path"
Chapter 11 "These Streets"
Chapter 12 "Playing with the Big Boys"
Chapter 13 "With Time"
🤍
Chapter 14 "The Date"
Chapter 15 "I'm for you"
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
🗣
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
💆🏾‍♀️
Q&A
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 26

1.5K 69 11
By bignydollasss

                                Kentrell POV. 🤍

"So you saying they don't know what the nigga look like?" Right now, I was on the block chopping it up with my nigga Dante. I was trying to find more information on the niggas that shot up my trap houses, more so who it was that gave the order.

"Look Top, I've asked around and it's either people who don't know shit about it or motherfuckers who not tryna snitch. But I did get a name off of one of the old cats. Just his street name though." Dante said as I nodded. I sparked the blunt and put it to my lips, pulling from it, I blew out the smoke and returned my attention back onto him.

"I'm listening. What name you got fa me?" I asked.

"They call him "Bluejay." Dante replied as I looked at him dumbfounded.

"Fuck type of name is Bluejay? Like the fucking bird?" I asked as he chuckled.

"Yeah I guess so. But, Ima keep asking around for more information. They trashed the trap up pretty bad, came back and vandalized it a couple weeks ago. You can go see for yourself."

"Aight, just hit me up when u find something. And stay up, there's always niggas to look out for." I said as he nodded. I dapped him up before he started walking back down the block. I walked inside the trap house seeing bullet holes plastering the walls along with spray paint.

Looking at the wall, there was a big blue spray painted bird plastered onto it. I shook my head in anger, because now this nigga was trying to mark territory. Knowing that this is my turf. This nigga has definitely made it clear that he wants static; so it's only right that I give him what he's looking for.

I pulled out my phone and took pictures of the walls to send to my private contractor. He immediately hit me back saying that the walls were fixable judging from the pictures. Then, I pulled out my trap phone and started scrolling through my contacts. Every nigga needs a list of hitters to get the job done. I stopped scrolling at my nigga Cortez's contact as I dialed his number. He picked up on the second ring.

"Wassam Top."

"Say, I need you and a couple of niggas to hit up this spot for me. I'm putting down 10k for this shit." I said

"Fasho, tell me where and who and it's done." He said

"You know them crip niggas from Southside? They run with a nigga named Bluejay. Ima need you light they shit up, and make sure you deliver this message..."

"Anything."

"Tell em Top says hello." I smirked

"Gotchu, Ima keep you posted."

"Aight one." I said

"One." The line ended.

Now let's get to this party. I've been waiting for my two favorite people to meet.

~•~•~•~

"Mamas, you got the gift?" I asked as Yara nodded. She climbed out the car with the gift bag in her hand. Observing her, I could tell she was tense and was nervous.

"You got nothing to be nervous about ma. They all gon love you." I chuckled. She smiled.

"I know, it's just that I've never met your dad's side of the family. So, there's going to be a lot of new introductions. But I'm ready, I want to meet the person who you love and look up to the most." She replied. I kissed her cheek and grabbed her hand as we walked inside the house. Music was being played throughout the whole house as my relatives turned their heads to acknowledge us.

"Kentrell! My baby! I haven't seen you in the longest." My Aunt Shirley yelled. I chuckled as I held my arms out for her, engulfing her into a hug.

"Wassam Aunt Shirley. I missed you. Aunty, this is my girlfriend, Yara." I nodded towards Yara as Aunt Shirley re-averted her attention onto her.

"Hi Ms. Shirley. It's nice to meet you." Yara smiled.

"Call me Aunt Shirley baby. If Kentrell has brought you around this crazy family, then that means you're apart of it too." She smiled as she tightly hugged Yara. She always gives the best hugs. Yara laughed as they both started engaging in small talk.

"Kentrell, I'm going to go introduce Yara to everyone. But go and talk to you're grandfather, he's out back." Aunt Shirley waved me off as she continued talking to Yara. Well damn, I guess it's fuck me then now huh.

I went off to greet everyone and started to look for my grandfather.

                                  ~•~•~•~•~

                                   Yara POV.

"Ladies, this is Yara. Kentrell's girlfriend." Aunt Shirley introduced me to the group of females on the couch. Everyone greeted me back, except one of the girl's who had a stank look on her face. The fuck is her problem?

"Yara baby, this is Crystal, Tasha and Brianna." Aunt Shirley pointed to the stank faced girl who I now know her name as Brianna.

"I'll be right back baby. Gotta go show these fools how to properly fill up a cooler." Aunt Shirley said as I chuckled. She left me with the three girls as I took a spot on the couch. It was an awkward silence until Crystal decided to speak up.

"I love the blonde look. It really fits you." She said.

"Thank you, I wanted to try something new. You know, step out my comfort zone." I replied with a smile. Crystal and I continued conversation, and I was really taking a liking to her. She seemed genuine nonetheless.

"So, you're Kentrell's new girlfriend huh?" Brianna interrupted our conversation as I looked at her. She had her arms crossed around her chest with the same stank look.

"Yes, I am. Why do you ask?" I said

"No reason, it's just I've been there and done that. You know what people say, every thing is temporary." She said with a smug look. This bitch had one more time to cut up. I don't even know ole girl and she throwing this much shade.

"Yeah, but you know what else people say? It takes a couple of negatives to find your positive one. And once you find it, there's no need for anymore negatives. So you simply just subtract them from the equation." I replied with a smile. Brianna seemed bothered by my response as she got up from the couch and left out the door leading to outside.

Crystal started laughing which made me laugh along with her.

"Girl, props to you. Because that bitch had it coming. I don't even know why Teelee invited her ass." She said

"Teelee? Those two are friends?" I asked

"Yeah, but the friendship is definitely one sided because Brianna is fake as fuck. After everything that went down, I'm surprised she still hangs around her." She said.

"Everything that went down?" I asked. Crystal looked up seeing the confused expression on my face.

"I don't usually air out people's business, but I like you so fuck it. Basically, Brianna used to mess around with Kentrell behind Teelee's back. Brianna swore she was in love with him but he didn't like her like that. It was a sex only situationship, but I guess she couldn't comprehend that. She became irrational and started acting out over the whole thing, so eventually he just cut her off. I guess now she's bitter with anyone he's with. I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. Til this day, I still don't think Teelee knows, or else she wouldn't keep bringing her around." Crystal shrugged as I was lost in thought.

She just spilled some major tea, and I could either brew something up or just simply let it settle. I decided to let it settle. It doesn't bother me that they were involved with one another, because she's simply a past situation. Kentrell is mine now, and that's all that matters. He's found his positive, no more negatives needed in the equation.

"Yara." I looked up at the sound of Kentrell's voice. I excused myself from off the couch as I made my way over to him.

"Wassup?" I asked

"I want you to meet my Paw Paw. Come on, he's outside." He said excitedly. Seeing a smile on his face brought a smile to my own. He escorted me out the doors which led to outside. Kids were playing tag on the grass as I looked to my left, seeing a group of old heads playing cards.

Walking a little further, we approached a table with the game of chest placed on top of it. An old caramel toned man occupied the seat as he was apparently beating his opponent at the game. Looking up as he saw us both approaching the table, he waved his opponent off to go somewhere else.

"Paw Paw. This is the girl I've been telling you about, Yara." Kentrell glanced over to me as I waved lightly.

"Hi, I'm Yara. It's so nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you." I said while holding my hand out.

"Miss Yara, now you know what type of family this is. No handshakes, we give-"

"Hugs." I said with a smile. I crept down and hugged him as he returned it. Pulling away, he nodded to the unoccupied seat for me to sit in. Kentrell sat on the arm of the chair as he remained his arm wrapped around me.

"So you're the lady my grandson be singing them songs about." His grandfather said. I chuckled and glanced over at Kentrell.

"I guess so. Though, you deserve credit for making him the man he is today. Should be hearing your name in a song rather than mine." I said as his grandfather started laughing.

"I like her already. She knows what she's talm bout because I'm still waiting to hear my name on one of dem songs son." He said as Kentrell chuckled.

"Say, just wait on that Paw Paw. It's on the way, fasho." Kentrell said.

"So Kentrell says that y'all been knowing each other since y'all was kids? What age did y'all meet?" His grandfather asked pulled out a box of dominoes. Before you know it, the three of us were all playing the game.

"That's right. We met when we were ten years old. One push onto the concrete led to a side walk cake eating session, and before you know it, we became the best of friends." I smiled as he chuckled in amusement.

"I think Annamae told me bout you. We've always been good friends. She would fuss about taking Kentrell to spend some time with me from time to time because that boy was so damn hardheaded and will forever be just that. Always getting himself into trouble. But eventually, the fussing stopped when she told me about a girl who managed to settle him down. Said that she was seeing a positive change in him because of this girl. Now I'm just realizing that that girl was indeed you miss Yara." He said making me smile. I never knew that Ms. Annamae spoke of me so highly. In this moment I felt my heart warm.

"It wasn't just me, she played a big role in his upbringing and so did you. The love and admiration he has for the both of you is the reason why his heart has never changed. He has a good heart, which is the main the reason why I'm in love with him." I said looking over at Kentrell. He held eye contact with me  as his eyes were saying that he was in love with me too. Getting lost in the moment, I re-averted my attention back onto his grandfather who got up from his seat. I looked down at the table seeing that he indeed won the game of dominoes.

"You can't beat the teacher Ken." He said as Kentrell smacked his lips making me laugh.

"Yeah yeah, whatever old man." Kentrell said as we both stood up from the table as well.

"What ya'll have doesn't come around often. That right there is rare, which means ya'll should protect it in order to maintain it. I see the love ya'll have for one another and there's no doubt in my mind that you miss Yara, aren't the one for my grandson. If Annamae saw the same thing that I'm seeing now, there's no doubt in my mind that y'all two bring out the best in each other. Keep it and cherish it. I hope I'll see you at the next family function miss Yara. Because you are family, nonetheless." He said making me smile. I took in his words. Something about this man's aura just screams of wisdom and knowledge.

"I'll be sure to cherish it. It was nice speaking with you and Happy Birthday Mr. Gaulden." I said we engaged in a hug.

"Call me Paw Paw. No need for formalities." He said as we pulled apart.

"Now Kentrell, yo ass better now mess up what ya'll have, ya heard meh? You got yourself a good one boa, don't mess it up." He said as Kentrell chuckled.

"I don't plan to Paw Paw. This a forever thing." He said. As soon as he said that, I swear I felt butterflies in my stomach as I thought of the word "forever" rolling off his tongue.

The rest of the party consisted of games and laughter. We all eventually went back inside of the house to sing happy birthday, and now we were all in the living area eating cake and engaging in conversation.

"You had fun mamas?" Kentrell asked.

"Yeah I did. I love your family, they're really sweet. Shit, and this cake." I said digging into my plate as he laughed.

"You can thank Aunt Shirley for that. She the only one who can really cook in this family." Kentrell said as I playfully hit his arm. The front door was heard and soon Teelee, Kendell and Kentrell's mother, Sheronda walked into the living room.

"Ya Ya!? Mane why ain't nobody tell me my girlfriend was here? I would've came sooner." Kendell ran over to where I was sitting and sat in my lap, engulfing me in a hug.

"Boyfriend! I missed you, and how are you so tall now? You definitely ain't 'Lil Kentrell' anymore." I said calling him his childhood nickname. Kendell was always Kentrell's mini me , because he was just a smaller version of him based on the resemblance. I glanced over at Kentrell seeing he had a mug of annoyance on his face. Dude stay mugging somebody.

"Definitely not, it's Big Ken all the way. Glad to see that the ladies know it too." He said while smirking.

"Speaking of ladies, get off of me cus I heard you got yourself a girlfriend now. We cheating now?" I said as he got up while laughing.

"Yeah I do, but you could still be my sugar mama though. Ain't nun wrong with that." He said as I laughed.

"Get fucked up Kendell." Kentrell said as Kendell held his hands up in surrender.

"My bad, hating ass. Where Paw Paw at?" He asked looking around. He finally spotted him and headed over to where he was. Ms. Sheronda walked over with a plate of cake in her hands.

"Hey Ma." Kentrell said.

"Hey baby. How you been?" She asked

"I've been good. Just been chilling and working on my album forreal." He replied

"Well I can't wait to hear it. You know you got the rapping gene from your momma. And Yara baby, how are you?" She asked as she crept down and hugged the both of us.

"I'm doing well Ms. Sheronda. How've you been?" I asked

"Living day by day, babeh. My youngest son keeps getting in trouble and my eldest son doesn't know how to pick up the phone and call his own momma." She said. I looked at Kentrell seeing him roll his eyes.

"Ma, you know I be busy. And you know that the phone works both ways." He said as I felt his leg start to shake.

"Mhmm, well there's nothing wrong with making time for your momma." She said while smacking her lips.

"And there's nothing wrong with you getting the-"

"Sheronda, tell me about your new business. Ken mentioned it to me, can you tell me more about it?" I interrupted whilst changing the subject. I could tell that Kentrell was about to go in on her. When Kentrell is mad or irritated, his mouth is most definitely reckless. No filter whatsoever.

She started telling me about her new hair business. I listened intently as I subliminally grabbed Kentrell's hand and started softly rubbing it. I soon felt his leg stop shaking as I continued the motion. We talked for about half an hour before Kentrell stood up from his spot on the couch.

"Aight, we rey dip. Where Teelee at?" Kentrell asked looking around for his sister. Kendell came walking back with a bowl of chips in his hand.

"She went to the guest room to cool off. Her and that girl Byron just got into it. Cussed her out and everything." Kendell said as I stared at him confusingly.

"You mean Brianna?" I asked as I held back my laugh.

"Byron, Brianna. I don't see the difference." He said as I started laughing.

"Aight well tell her I love her. We outta here, love you lil ugly." Kentrell said as he gave Kendell a hug.

"Nigga, if I'm ugly then so are you. My face is your clone." he replied. I laughed at their interaction as I grabbed both Kentrell and I's to go plates. I said goodbye to everyone and to his Paw Paw personally. After I made my rounds, I walked in front of the door as I waited for Kentrell. Scrolling on my phone, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs making me look up to see Teelee.

"Hey Tee. You okay? Kendell said you needed to cool down?" I asked as she nodded.

"Yeah, just finding out that my closest home girl is just a fake bitch looking for a come up, that's all." She said shaking her head.

"Brianna? Yeah, she definitely made that clear as soon as I got here." I said

"Crystal told you too? I'm glad she told me, because I was oblivious to this whole situation. It's all starting to make sense. How she always wanted to come over my house instead of going to hers. How she always asked who was going to be at our family gatherings before agreeing to come. This bitch was obsessed with my little brother and I didn't even know it." Teelee rambled on anger as I just stood there listening word for word.

"Shit." We both looked over to see Kentrell walking up awkwardly.

"Yeah, shit. That's exactly what you are. You should've told me from the jump. But I can't even be that mad at you because she was older than you. Plus we all know that you're a hoe... no offense Yara." She said as I chuckled.

"None taken." I replied.

"Look Tee, It was years ago and I was young and just dumb as hell." He said

"Still dumb as hell, but continue." She replied as I held back my laughter.

"It wasn't on no she took advantage of me type shit, we both knew what we was doing. I finally realized that she was weird as hell and fell back from her. She didn't take that too well and started becoming obsessive as soon as I started getting fame and shit. I'm sorry I ain't tell you, I just ain't wanna come in between ya'll friendship. You gotta understand, grandma had just died, and I knew that I couldn't deprive you of your friend at a time when you needed one the most." Kentrell said. We both silently waited for Teelee's response. Looking at Kentrell, she eventually sighed in defeat.

"I forgive you. You're my brother. And just so you know, I needed you way more than I needed her. I'd rather have no friends at all rather than a fake one, because at the end of the day, I'd know that I have my brother." She said as she pulled him into a hug.

"Sorry for calling you a hoe." She mumbled while chuckling.

"And I'm sorry for calling you bald headed, in my head." Kentrell said as she slapped him on his head.

"Alright, I guess I'll see you both at your album release party?" She said as she gave me a hug.

"Yup, that's if Kentrell ever releases it. He stay capping to his fans." I said while laughing.

"Mane whatever. Bye big head, tell lil Ry that I love him." Kentrell said as we started heading out the door.

"I will. Bye Yara, call me soon girly." She said as I nodded. We walked over to Kentrell's hellcat as he opened the door for me. I climbed in and sat our containers in the back seat as he shut his door close.

I put my seatbelt on as I felt his eyes burning through the side of my head. Finally looking at him, he was already starting at me.

"What?" I asked

"You not mad?" He asked as I looked at him confusingly.

"Kentrell, why would I be mad?" I asked. He sighed and started scratching his head.

"Ion know. You found out about a person I used to have sex with from someone other than me. And you found out at a party that I brought you to. I would be mad." He said. I turned to face him completely as I turned his head to face me.

"Baby, I'm not mad. What happened is in the past, and we weren't even dating back then. Your grandma had just died and that girl chose to take advantage of your grief. I'm not mad because that was then and this right here is now. I'm yours and you're mine. I'm not gonna let past relations threaten what we have, because what we have runs deeper then that. Just like the love I have for you runs deep, pooh. More than you know." I said. Kentrell cheesed his pearly whites with his arms crossed as I started laughing. He sat back and just stared at me in deep thought.

"You really love me huh?" He said as I playfully rolled my eyes.

"Did you not just hear what I sa-" He cut me off by connecting our lips together in a passionate kiss. I leaned over the console while gripping his hair as our lips moved in sync. This kiss was different from all the previous ones. This one was filled with love and the knowledge that the other person felt the same feeling. This kiss was pure.

He pulled away as he stared at me for a moment.

"I love you Chanel. On my soul, I do." He said as I smiled and kissed his lips twice.

"And I love you DeSean." I said with a smile. He started the car ignition and pulled out of the driveway. Throughout the whole car ride, our hands remained entangled as we listened to the soft tunes of R&B music. Who would've thought that a scraped knee would lead to a love story full of healing.

———————————————————————————

What has been ya'll favorite part of the book so far?🤍🧏🏾‍♀️

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 4.8K 39
Now married 19 year old Mya is finding out thjngs about her ex and baby. Will her and kentrell stay together?
823K 26.4K 75
"One will adore me go to war do anything for me Always go hard for me Neva lie now that's real loyalty Slide on that boy for me While I shoot she...
452K 20.1K 157
Sequel of his therapist (nba young boy) Jalanee is now trying to adjust to her new life without Kentrell,after the duo both decided to let go of thei...
602K 23.7K 41
No one saw what I saw in him. He was Different. have to follow me in order to read certain chapters A NBA Youngboy Fanfiction