What's at Stake

By JordanLynde

After failing as a vampire hunter, 17-year-old Cleo is sent to an academy full of vampires as a false peace t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
BONUS: Kaz vs. Felix Vs. One Bed Trope
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Author's Note

Chapter Twenty-Seven

6.1K 458 230
By JordanLynde

"I tried to stop him," Adora said as we drove up the long, dirt driveway to the front of my house.

I let out a long breath, trying not to freak out. Where would Claude even have gone? What was he planning? He'd told me to trust him and then he went and disappeared like this without a word? How was I supposed to...?

No, I assured myself. Claude wouldn't do anything reckless. He knew what was at stake just as much as I did. I knew he wouldn't put our goals at risk. I had to trust him.

"It's fine. Let's continue with our own plan," I told Adora, unstrapping my seatbelt.

Together we walked up the stone steps to my porch, Adora eyeing the ornate sconces on either side of the iron double doors. "Your house is seriously gothic, Cleo. And vampires are the ones who get that stereotype."

"That's thanks to my great-great-grandfather. He built this house. He definitely had a flair for..." I took in the damask designs carved into the metal of the door. "Gloom?"

"That's a good way to put it. I feel like we're walking into a haunted house."

"Ghosts don't exist, silly," I responded, trying to pull open the door only to realize it was locked. "Dang, it's locked."

"Don't you have a key?"

"No?"

Adora frowned. "Why not?"

"I never left the house without someone so I didn't need one," I explained. "Where is Kieran? She knows I don't have one."

I knocked on the door, hoping to remind her we were waiting out here. A few more moments passed with nothing and I knocked a little louder, annoyed. What was taking her so long? I raised my fist again and the door finally opened, Kieran's head popping out.

"What took you so long?" I asked as she pulled the door the rest of the way open. I took a deep breath, inhaling the familiar scent of my home. Although it'd only been a few months since I left, the smell had become nostalgic

"I was in my room, sorry," she said, stepping back so Adora and I could enter. Her mouth fell open as Adora came into sight, her posture going rigid. "Adora?"

Adora waved and smiled. "Hey, Kieran. It's nice to see you again. I hope I'm not intruding."

Kieran grabbed my hand, face pale. "Can you give us a second alone, Adora?"

Adora gave her a thumb's up, pretending to be interested in the artwork hanging in the foyer. Kieran dragged me across the room, into the sitting room, shutting the door so Adora wouldn't be able to hear us. She threw my hand down, jaw taught. "What were you thinking, Cleo?"

"What?"

She pushed her chestnut bangs out of her face. "Why would you bring a vampire here?"

Her question offended me a little, even though I'd figured she might not be too happy about me bringing Adora here. But I'd hoped Kieran just maybe she wouldn't have cared. "It's just Adora. You know her."

"She's a vampire, Cleo."

"She said you were friendly to her!"

"Because it was expected of me! Why would you invite her into our house?"

"Adora wouldn't do anything," I argued. "It's fine."

Kieran crossed her arms over her stomach, pressing her lips together. "You say that, but she's still a vampire. Why would you ever bring one home with you? Are you crazy?"

"Kieran."

"And why are you even here, Cleo? What if Dad was here? I don't even know what to say right now."

"That you miss me? And are happy to see me?" I asked, deflating.

She hesitated, and then sighed, losing the tension in her body. "I am happy to see you, Cleo. But I just don't understand why you'd bring a vampire home with you. I'd heard that you made friends with them, but to do this..."

"I know it's hard to understand," I said, ignoring the sinking feeling in my chest. It wouldn't be an easy thing to convince Kieran that all vampires weren't enemies, I already knew that. "But can you try not to make Adora uncomfortable?"

"Why are you worried about how I'll react? What about Mother?"

I paused. "What do you mean?"

"Do you think anything through, Cleo? Why are you always like this?" she snapped. "If Mother saw a vampire, she'd go into one of her fits. Have you forgotten? Didn't Dad tell you how bad she's been lately?"

"Adora won't go near her," I said, but my heart rate spiked. "How bad is she? Where is she now?"

"In her room. I'm not sure if you should see her."

"What? I have to. It's been months—"

"I'm afraid you'll set her off."

"Set her off how?"

"It was hard enough for her to let you go to the academy in the first place. And now you just want to drop in and say hi? Do you want her to go through that again?"

I cupped my elbow, frowning. "Don't you think she'd rather see me and know I'm safe?"

Kieran paced the room, groaning. "I don't know. Why did you come, Cleo?"

"Because I missed you guys," I said mutely. Although not the exact reason, it was true. "Sorry."

"No, I'm sorry, Cleo. I'm just worried."

She came over to me, wrapping me in her arms. I leaned into the hug, resting my chin on her shoulder. I'd always wished I could catch up to Kieran in height. But she'd assured me that being short had its advantages. I didn't see how. Kieran was stronger than me and faster than me, lithe and precise. It was why our father saw more potential in her.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come during the weekend event, okay?" she said, giving me a final squeeze before letting me go. "Dad forbid me from going. I couldn't go against him. I would have snuck over the border, but then I remembered the magic would alert the vampires I crossed the border. It would ruin all the work father did to get you into the academy. I decided I could just wait until you came home."

"Ah..." So, my father really had forced Kieran to stay behind. But did she know what he'd threatened me with? She couldn't. Otherwise, she would have spoken up on my behalf. "Do you know what he said to me? He told me I couldn't come home unless I found the hidden heir. I think he wants to start a war, Kieran."

Her face fell. "He said that to you?"

"Yes. Can you believe him? Why does he want to start a war? Even more innocent lives will be killed. We need to stop him."

"You're worried about that, Cleo? You need to get your priorities straight."

"Kieran, listen," I said. "They're not like you think they are. They're nothing like our father told us they were. They're just like us. They have family, they have friends, they just want to live—"

"What are you saying? Didn't they try to kill you?" she asked, her tone tinged in disbelief. "You're going to overlook that?"

"Of course, there are vampires out there who want our family dead, but there are more who just want to put an end to the feuding between vampires and humans. It sounds crazy. I know. But all we know is this house. If you got out in the world, you would see too—"

Kieran froze. "What?"

"Kieran. We've been trapped here our whole lives. We don't know the world. I barely know anything, yet it's enough to see how awful we've been raised. We've been locked up like cattle—"

"How can you talk about our family like this?" she demanded, clenching her hands into fists. "What's happened to you?"

I held in my next words. Was this how Adora felt when she tried to talk about these things with me? Kieran was acting the same way I did. I didn't want to believe it, either. I was taking the wrong approach with this. "I don't mean it like that. I love our family. You guys are everything to me. I just think... vampires aren't as bad as Father has made them out to be."

"They could be deceiving you, Cleo. You've always been so soft-hearted." The troubled expression didn't leave her face, but she'd lost some of the anger. "Ugh. Father should have sent me in the first place."

I didn't answer, grimacing inwardly. No, judging by her responses, it was definitely best for me to have been sent. I knew I could eventually convince her. The fact she wasn't trying to throttle me proved she wasn't as against the idea as she seemed to be.

However, I'd seen enough to know that I didn't want to let her know what we were here to do. It'd taken me a long time to accept that our father needed to pay for his crimes. I couldn't expect Kieran to agree with me right here and right now. Then she really might throttle me. I had to think of a good reason to tell her why I came here and needed to look through our father's things.

"Going back to what Father told me, though," I said slowly, trying to gather my thoughts. "I'm still trying to find the hidden heir."

"You are?"

"Yes," I said, hoping she couldn't tell I was lying. "That's why I came. I need to find something."

She raised an eyebrow. "Here? What could possibly be here?"

Ugh. I so wasn't good at coming up with things on the spot. "Well. I know that Father has books we weren't allowed to read in his office. I think there could be something there."

"Really..."

I nodded stiffly. It sounded reasonable. "I've already gone through the entire library on campus."

"That entire library?" she asked skeptically. "It's huge."

Was she already seeing right through me? I waved her off. "Do you think I've been goofing off? I go there every day. But I remembered about those other books."

She looked up, in the direction of where my father's office was. "He doesn't let us in there."

"I think it'll really help out."

"...Fine. But I'll go on and get them. You stay out here and watch your friend."

Crap. I hadn't thought she'd offer to get them for me. "Wouldn't father notice they were gone? I'll just browse through them."

"I'm sorry, Cleo. Adora seems nice. But I can't just let go of the fact that she is a vampire. She needs to be watched."

"That's fair," I said, even though it annoyed me. "Why don't you keep an eye on her, then?"

"Huh?"

"Come on. She seems to like you. Maybe it'd be nice to make a friend!"

"A friend... with a vampire?"

"Listen, I really have to get to those books. And I don't want Father to know I was here. These are our only options."

She let her head fall back. "Fine, Cleo. I'll stay with the vampire."

"Adora."

"Adora," she corrected, rolling her eyes.

"Come on, Kieran. She had nice things to say about you. You must have left a good impression."

Kieran's reluctance lessened a little. "Did she really?"

I put my arm over her shoulder and nodded. "Oh, yeah."

"What did she say?"

"That you're really nice and she likes you. Come on. You really can hate someone who says that about you?"

"...Fine. I'll stay with her. But don't take forever. And absolutely make sure to put everything back in its place. Got it? Dad can't know you came here."

"I agree with that," I said as we went back into the foyer.

Adora hadn't moved, humming to herself. I looked at Kieran pointedly, then shoved her at Adora.

Kieran stumbled forward, quickly rectifying herself, giving me a sharp look. "Adora..."

"Yes?"

"I am sorry for that. If it made you feel awkward."

"Oh, not at all!" Adora said happily. "Sorry. I know I'm intruding. I won't go further into the house if it makes you feel better."

Kieran scuffed her feet on the hardwood floor, turning her head to the side. "Yeah, it would."

Adora winced and I scrunching up my face, shrugging. Hopefully, Kieran wouldn't say anything too rude to Adora, but this worked out to be a good distraction. Kieran would focus on keeping an eye on Adora and I could be free to search for clues. But I didn't have a ton of time.

"Twenty minutes, Cleo," Kieran said.

"Got it. I'll be right back."

"I'll stay... right here then," Adora said, forcing a smile.

Sorry, I mouthed, and then turned and hurried up the staircase leading to the second floor of the house. I had to at least pretend I was heading to my father's office. With more time, I would have searched there, but if I only had twenty minutes I would have to go straight to the source.

Hopefully, my mother would know something... and be willing to talk.

I went straight for her room, pausing outside the door. What if Kieran was right? What if my presence affected her badly? But I couldn't pass up this chance. I braced myself and entered the room.

My mother stood by the window, looking out, the sun's rays reflecting in her long hair. I closed the door behind me loud enough for her to hear. She still startled, jerking to face me. Her face was gaunt, tired. The eye bags under her eyes were so dark they looked like bruises. I knew she had to still be having nightmares.

"Hi, Mom," I said, cautiously awaiting her reaction.

"C-Cleo?"

"Yes. It's me."

"Is it really you?" she whispered. "How did you get in here?"

So far, so good. She wasn't freaking out. I crossed the room to her, my heart swelling in my chest. "They let me off campus to visit," I lied.

"But the door is locked."

"No, it's not. Did you want it locked?" I asked, seeing her stricken face.

She didn't answer, reaching for me, laying her hand on her cheek. "You're really here?"

I put my hand over hers. "Yes, Mom. I've missed you."

She pulled me into a hug and I closed my eyes, enjoying her embrace. There was nothing like it. "Are you okay? What's going on? How did you get them to let you go?"

"I'm good. I'm fine," I told her, rubbing her back. "It's not as bad as we thought it would be there, Mom. I feel safe there. See? I'm home in one piece after all this time."

A bit of a stretch, but I wanted her to feel reassured.

She pulled back, eyes round. "Are you coming home forever now?"

"Not yet. A few more months."

"No. You can't go back."

"Mom, I'm fine there. Really."

"How can you be fine? They want to kill us. For what we've done. We've done terrible, terrible things—"

"No. They don't," I cut her off, not letting her go down that path. Because once she did, it was hard to get her back. She was the only one who felt guilty for what our family had done. My father didn't bat an eyelash. But she suffered. It wasn't fair. "They're nice to me. I promise. Someone even volunteered to come with me here so I didn't have to go alone."

"Who did you come here with?"

"A friend from the academy—"

She sucked in a quick breath of air. "You brought a vampire here?"

This wasn't going to be easy. I had to jump right into it. "Mom, listen. We need some information from you. To help us. My friends and I are trying to put an end to all the fighting between vampires and humans. But we need you to help if you can—"

"No. It's not safe here with a vampire here, Cleo. You have to leave. Leave now, and take that vampire with you! You don't know what you're doing. Why would you do this?" she asked, her voice rising shrilly. "What if your father catches you?"

"What? Mom, he's not here," I said, faltering a little. "It's fine. He's not going to know."

"He will. But it's not safe at that academy, either. I don't know where you can go. What are we going to do?" She put her face in her hands. "Everywhere there's danger. There's someone who wants to kill you. You were raised to be hated. It's all my fault. You have to live with a target on your back."

I shook my head. "No, Mom. The academy is fine. I'm safe there, don't worry."

"You're not, Cleo. Those vampires who we've..." She shuddered. "They will kill you as soon as you turn your back for what we've done."

"They won't," I said, keeping my voice calm, trying to ease her distress. "Hasn't Kieran told you? I have friends there. Friends who want to end the war between humans and vampires just like we do. They're on my side."

She grabbed my shoulders, nails digging into my skin. Her eyes were wild. "They're lying to you, Cleo. They will get you. They'll kill you. You don't understand. Your father has done—"

"I know what he's done," I said, gently pulling her hands from my shoulders. "I know so much has been hidden from me, but I'm uncovering the truth. My friends know, too, and they're still willing to help. We just need to put an end to this. And I need your help to do so."

She jerked away from me. "No. No. You'll just put yourself in more danger."

"I know. But I have to do this."

"No. There is no one to protect you, Cleo. Not your father, not your sister. Not me. You'll die. You can't. I can't lose you. I won't. Do nothing. You've always wanted to change things and to do what's right, but it's not worth your life. That's not who we are. We're murderers. I refuse to help you."

It took me a moment to find my voice. This wasn't what I expected. Out of everyone, I thought my mother would understand and help me, even if it frightened her. "Mom, please."

Her gaze unfocused, shoulders shaking as she stared beyond me. "I won't lose you, Cleo. I don't care if another war comes and goes. You're the only thing I have left. I can't let you sacrifice yourself for change."

"You won't lose me," I said, raising my own voice.

"No. No. You can't. I won't let you. Just fulfill your duty and come home."

"No, Mom. I can't go back to the way things were."

"You were safe!"

"I was trapped!" I threw back at her.

My response didn't stun her like I thought it would. No. She didn't even blink. "But you were safe."

I stared at her. "Safe? That's what you call this?"

"You're alive. Your father protects you."

"No. He controls me. And I don't want that anymore. I want to put an end to these stupid wars between us. I can do it—"

"No, you can't! You will never understand," she said. "And I won't lose you! If I have to force you to stay here I will. I won't let you leave."

I felt a lump form in my throat. "I'll be fine—"

"You have no one, Cleo!" she cried, backing away from me. "No one will risk their lives to protect you. You'll just be throwing your life away and giving up your family! Is that what you want? To die for an enemy who would take pleasure in seeing your dead body?"

My arms fell to my sides, my chest tightening. I would be giving up my family?

The door suddenly swung open I whipped my head around, my heart leaping into my throat as my eyes landed on Claude. I threw my arms up, trying to hide him from my mother's sight, already knowing it was too late. "What are you doing here?" I asked, eyes wide. Where had he even come from?

He brushed by me, acting like I wasn't even there, heading straight for my mother. I put tried to put myself back in his path, suddenly terrified of what he planned to do, but stumbled in my haste to do so. "Claude, stop, what—"

An image of him snapping my mother's neck shot through my mind unbidden and I froze up, unable to reach my voice. Maybe he'd thought this was his chance to get close. To get her while she was defenseless, while my father wasn't home. Or to take her as a hostage, in return for my father imprisoning his mother.

I managed to pull myself together just as he came to a stop in front of her. I had nothing to fight him off with, but I would do anything to protect her.

But the minute I took a step forward, Claude came to a stop, looming down in front of my mother, shoulders back and straight.

My mother looked up at him, frightened, like an animal caught in a trap. "W-who?"

"You're wrong," Claude told her, voice firm, but not harsh. "Cleo isn't alone."

"You're a vampire," my mother breathed.

"Yes."

She glanced around as if looking for a weapon. I shook myself from my shock and walked up to them carefully, waiting for either of them to strike out.

"Cleo does have someone who will protect her," Claude said.

I gripped the fabric of my jeans, closing my eyes. I doubted him bringing up Kaz at this time would convince my mother.

"I will protect her. And I will make sure she lives to see the dawn of the day where she no longer has to live with a target on her back. I promise that."

My breath caught in my throat, all other sounds fading in the background, only the rough rumble of his voice left. What did he just say? Had I heard him right? My eyes snapped open and I found him staring straight back at me, his golden gaze as molten as ever, as fierce as ever.

I will protect you.

Suddenly unsteady, I cast my eyes downward, focusing intently on the floor to ground myself.

He hadn't said that about me. Claude would never. So, why...?

Despite my knee-jerk to deny his words, heat spread throughout my body and I covered my mouth with my hand, blushing furiously. There was no one else here. He'd said that about me.

"Who are you?" my mom asked him, stock-still.

"Someone who shares Cleo's dreams. And someone who will ensure they happen."

"Why...?"

"I don't need to give you a reason why. But I want to make it clear to you that there are others who care about her and will risk their lives for her. Do not tell her there isn't. Stop holding her back. If you truly care about her, you will be on her side. She has hope in you despite what has happened. Don't let it go to waste."

I moved forward, gripping Claude's sleeve. "Claude."

His Adam's apple bobbed and I realized he was nervous. Why? Because he was in front of my mother? Surely, he knew he could overtake her if she tried anything. She hadn't been there when my father had killed Claude's father, but I couldn't blame Claude if he was feeling on edge. But if he was, why was he trying to convince my mother to be on my side? Why was he saying this?

Without warning, my mother grabbed the lapels of Claude's jacket. I jolted, ready to interfere, but Claude remained still. "You'll help her?"

I watched them cautiously, but my mother looked imploring, not angry.

"Yes," Claude answered her.

"You're not lying to me?"

He slowly shook his head, taking her hands off his jacket, and holding them. "No. I am promising you. I can and will protect her."

My cheeks burned again. Even though he'd just said that five seconds ago, a new bunch of butterflies fluttered in my stomach. It was all for talk, but...

My mother's eyes searched Claude's face, taking him in. A quiet moment passed and her eyes softened. I didn't know what she saw in Claude's expression that made her drop her guard, but I knew the minute she did. She shrunk in on herself, pulling her hands back. "But how can you help a human? A Levant? After all they've done to vampires?"

"Nothing will change if we hold onto grudges."

"What if you have to go against one of your own kind?"

Claude's eyebrows furrowed, his posture tensing. "Why do you ask that?"

"They're after Cleo. They'll be after you, for helping. You have to watch your back. Don't let down your guard. Make sure she survives and returns home."

"What do you mean?" I asked, stepping around Claude so I could see her clearly. "The Leechers?"

"No, it's—" She suddenly stopped herself, freezing. "Wait. Your eyes."

Claude pursed his lips a little as if he hadn't wanted to be caught, but I was surprised it took my mother this long to realize she was speaking with the crown prince. Had she never seen Claude before? Was that even possible?

Her face went white and she looked like she wanted to escape again. "Who are you?"

"It seems like you've already realized who I am," Claude murmured.

"No. You're not that person."

I stepped around Claude to face my mother properly. "What person, Mom?"

"But you have those eyes... How is this possible? How do you have those eyes?" she whispered, completely disregarding me. "No. You're supposed to be dead."

Dead? I glanced at Claude, confused.

My mother abruptly grabbed my arm, yanking me to her side. "Get away, Cleo! This vampire is deceiving you. Get out. Get out right now!"

I stumbled as she dragged me toward the door, surprised at her strength. "What are you doing? What are you talking about? Claude is the crown prince—"

"No, he's not. He's tricking you. The royal heir is dead. There shouldn't be anyone with those eyes alive in this world. Your father made sure of it."

I pulled myself away from her, falling back against the door, my pulse pounding in my ears. "No, Mom. He really is the prince—"

Her gaze never left Claude, watching his every move, her breath coming rapidly. She was holding her hands up defensively as if he was attacking her.

A chill went down my spine. "Why are you acting like this?"

"That vampire is lying to you," she repeated tightly. "He is no prince. There is no prince. There is no princess. There are no members of the royal family left. They're all dead. I saw their death with my own eyes. And that vampire there is not the one."

____________

Welp... 👀

Here are some portraits of Claude and Cleo by RyuuOvO on Deviantart~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

363 41 22
An enemies to lovers back to enemies story. --------- "He said we remind him of Romeo and Juliet" "Who's that?" "Two characters in a human play. Th...
188K 6.4K 41
Faith was happy with her life. She had a clear plan, and always knew what her next move was going to be. But then a terrible tragedy wiped out half h...
238K 11.9K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
1M 33.4K 31
"You have to stop doing that." "Stop doing what?" "Saying things that makes me want to kiss you when I can't."    Becoming the prince's personal b...