MILO

By lizaalewis

After unknowingly saving a mafia boss from a botched bank robbery, Kiara accepts an offer to work for him as... More

1. Trouble Comes Knocking
2. Flashes of Color
3. Fickle Like Promises
4. Eyes of the Castle
5. Between the Lines
6. Lies in the Eyes
7. A Force of Life
8. The Games We Play
10. In the Details
11. Smoke and Fire
12. Price to Pay
13. Thicker Than Water
14. Nearing the Edge
15. Luck Be a Lady
16. Twist of Fate
17. White Flag Down
18. Torn and Troubled
19. Buried Deep Within
20. A Tectonic Shift
21. Fifteen Down
22. The Burden of Truth
23. Down the Rabbit Hole
24. Cracking the Surface
25. Lifting the Fog
26. Tapestry of Trust
27. Gift of the Present
28. Dirty Little Secrets Part One
29. Dirty Little Secrets Part Two
30. A Fight Against Fate
31. A Grey Area
32. Under a Spell
33. State of Survival
34. Tidal Wave
35. On the Surface
36. Hidden in Plain Sight
37. No More Tears
38. Missing Piece
39. The Big Picture
40. The Light Inside
41. Beating Hearts
42. Dust To Dust
43. A New Reign
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: Always the Time
Free Mafia Story
Mafia Reading List
MILO on YONDER

9. A Road Diverged

332K 12.5K 17.8K
By lizaalewis

With every step I take climbing aboard Milo's private luxury aircraft, it feels like blood is gushing from the soles of my red-bottomed heels.

How many lives were lost in order to afford such lavish transportation?

My guess is too many. Far too many.  

The jet is packed with rich ivory leathers, fine walnut veneers, and stylish marble stonework. Disgust and astonishment battle for supremacy in my mind as I roam through the cabin, Milo, Marchello, our guards, and the others taking their seats on the pristine divans.

"Sit," Milo orders, gesturing to an empty seat in front of him, a sleek glossy wooden table dividing the two chairs. "You can explore once we are in the air."

Rolling my eyes, I slump into the off-white leather loveseat, placing the brown monogrammed Louis Vuitton tote bag Luisa purchased for me on the ground. It's too flashy for my liking, I much prefer a handbag that doesn't scream privilege; I'll have to do some shopping in Spain. Prior to leaving the estate, Luisa presented me with an infinite visa card to do with what I please. No limit.

That seems to be a recurring theme with Milo. Nothing is off-limits.

"I would've been able to explore it the first time around if someone didn't drug me," I mutter, gazing out the window as the crew prepares for liftoff.

"It was not intentional," he murmurs, adjusting the cuffs of his black button-up shirt before fanning open today's edition of Il Corriere della Sera. The headline reads: Two Unidentified Bodies Found at the Port of Palermo.

I narrow my suspicious eyes at Milo. That can't be a coincidence.

"How was your trip to Sicily?" I ask as the plane takes off. I grip the armrest, taking a deep breath. Please let there be no turbulence. "Anything interesting happens?"

"No," he states, keeping his eyes affixed on the daily Italian newspaper, not bothering to look at me. "It was uneventful."

"Really?" I hum, my heart skipping a beat as the plane ascends into the sky. "You didn't, I don't know, murder two people or anything?"

This grabs his attention.

"What?" he asks, a frown marring his groomed brows as he closes the paper, lowering it to his lap.

I point to the front page, tilting my head as I perk up an accusatory brow.

"This?" He lets out a small laugh, looking at me like I'm a clueless child. "Please, Kiara, do not offend me so early in the morning."

I cross my arms. "That wasn't you? Really?"

He places the newspaper on the table, hiking his ankle over his thigh, his black loafers bouncing up and down as he grins.

"If it were me, Kiara, there would be no bodies," he says, his eyes bright with twisted humor as he scans the front page again. "And I would certainly not dispose of said bodies in such an unimaginative location. A dock? How amateur."

There's nothing in his tone or posture that indicates he's lying, if anything, he truly is offended by my accusation.

My knowledge of the Mafia world is limited to what I've seen on television or read in books, but discretion does seem to be of vital importance to the preservation of criminal organizations.

That being said, my suspicions are still completely warranted.

"Okay, well then how would a professional, such as yourself, dispose of a dead body?" I ask, crossing my legs, mirroring his body language. "Give me a mini Masterclass in the art of- how did you put it before?" I pause, biting my lip. "Clean up."

"Kiara," he hums, amusement glistening in his eyes. "A woman should never be burdened with the knowledge of such gruesome matters."

I cock my head to the side. "I thought you said you were a feminist, Mr. Di Vaio? Believe me, I think I can handle it."

"Perhaps," he muses, his gaze drifting over to a flight attendant near the galley. He waves two fingers in the air before snapping his eyes back to me. "But I would hate to strip you of your innocence. Some things are better left unsaid."

"My innocence?" I blink, an incredulous scoff escaping my lips. "I think that ship sailed when you shot two men right before my eyes, don't you think?"

He sighs, a pensive look on his face. "There is innocence of the eyes and innocence of the soul, Kiara. It is important not to confuse the two," he states. "And believe me, there are far worse things to witness than a bullet entering the brain."

"How very poetic," I note in a light tone. "But everything is connected. Your eyes, heart, mind, soul. It makes one being. What the eyes witness seeps into one's soul. You can't compartmentalize morality, Mr. Di Vaio."

"In my line of work, Kiara," he says, his jaw tensing. "It is required."

"Perhaps you should rethink your line of work then," I muse, resting my head against the wall of the plane, my brain buzzing from the vibrations. "It seems like a steep price to pay for eternal damnation."

"Eternal damnation?" He lets out a boisterous laugh, drawing perplexed glances from his associates. "Oh, Kiara, what is it that you think I do? Murder children? I can assure you, in the hierarchy of evil, I'm nowhere near damnation."

"I don't think that's your call to make," I state in a sharp tone.

His eyes harden. "Nor is it yours."

I scowl at him, my blood pulsing with irritation. Who does he think he is? Does he expect me to waver on my stance? Accept that murder is just an unfortunate byproduct of his chosen profession?

No. I won't.

There are universally accepted notions of right and wrong.

And he's wrong.

For the next hour, we sit across from each other in silence. He reads the newspaper and I read Dante's Inferno.

Hell.

Based on the headlines of worldwide newspapers and the political and social turmoil across the globe, perhaps Hell is not such a foreign place after all.

Although Mr. Alighieri's prose is quite thought-provoking, it's also emotionally draining. When I reach my daily limit for allegorical narrative, I shove The Divine Comedy back into my purse, opting to switch to a lighter tale, perhaps Cold Comfort Farm, granny's favorite.

As I attempt to fish out my Kindle, my fingers glide across the pistol at the bottom of my bag. It's unnerving that something so small holds so much destructive power. I pull the Ruger out of my purse, twisting it in my fingers, examining it with a careful eye.

"I would prefer if you did not point a loaded weapon in my direction when we are thirty thousand feet in the air," Milo says, peering over his newspaper.

I frown. "How do you know it's loaded?"

"A party trick," he smirks, mocking my words as he lowers the paper.

"Hilarious." My frown deepens. "But, seriously, how? I'm curious."

He sighs, clicking his tongue. "I can tell by the way you're holding the gun, Kiara," he explains. "The tiny muscles in your wrists are a dead giveaway."

"Oh," I hum, twisting my wrist around, the gun waving back and forth as I examine how my hand clenches. This doesn't make sense. How can he-

"Kiara! Put down the fucking gun," he fumes, glaring at me with wide eyes. "This aircraft is not bulletproof. You shoot, we die."

"Don't worry. The safety is on." I roll my eyes, lowering the pistol. He shoots me a dubious look. "Yeah, that's right, I know what a safety is now. Thank you very much."

If only I knew sooner then maybe I wouldn't be here right now.

He expels a low chuckle. "Still, put it away." He pauses. "When did you load the gun? I don't remember inserting a clip when we left the range."

The range.

I shiver, tracing my fingers along my neck, remembering Milo's strong grip, his touch, the way my insides knotted from his warning, the way every fiber of my being wanted to revolt against it.

Bastard.

"I couldn't sleep last night so I went back," I say with a casual shrug. "I loaded it before going to bed." I let out a small laugh, banishing all thoughts of Milo's lithe body ravaging mine out of my head. Not today Satan. "Honestly, it's trickier than it looks. It took me a few tries to figure it out."

"There's a learning curve, that's true," Milo agrees, taking a sip of red wine, a faint grin on his face. Why is he smiling? Fuck. "It will get easier over time."

"I don't know," I muse, eyeing the flight attendant. I could go for a glass of wine. Or ten. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who drinks before noon. "You make it seem so effortless."

Milo snaps his fingers, catching the immediate attention of the blonde woman. "Another glass of Chianti," he states, his eyes verifying the order with me. I nod. I guess he's somewhat useful. "You must understand, Kiara, I was taught how to load, take apart, and reassemble a gun before I learned how to ride a bike."

"What?" I ask, blinking at him as a wine glass appears in my hand. "How old were you?"

"Six, I think. It was a long time ago." He shrugs, unbothered. "My father ensured that my siblings and I received the proper training from an early age."

"Wow," I hum, shocked by how casual he sounds as if children handling firearms is normal.

But maybe in his world, it is.

"Kiara," he says softly, latching his dark eyes onto mine. "This was the life I was born into. It is all I have ever known so do not look at me with sympathy. I do not need it."

A child. He was just a child. An innocent, pure soul. How can I not feel sympathy? How can my heart not ache for him? When other kids were going bowling, riding skateboards, he was learning how to shoot. How to kill. How to carry on the legacy of his family's name.

But I get it. I do.

Some things are not up to us. They're above our pay grade.

Our families. Where we're born. When we die.

How we die.

In our sleep. From cancer. Murder.

Black ice on the road.

"I guess we can't choose our fate, right?" I mutter, an uneasy pang in my stomach.

"Do not be afraid; our fate cannot be taken from us; it is a gift," Milo says in Italian, reciting a portion of a Canto from Dante's Inferno. "We are all given a path to walk, Kiara. Mine is simply different than yours. But our destinations are the same."

"Yeah..." I nod, sipping on my wine, confused yet relieved by his words. The same. Is that possible? "I guess you're right."

Milo takes a deep breath, a gentle smile on his face. "So with all of that being said, do not feel discouraged with your training, I have twenty-five years of experience. For a novice, you are excelling."

"You're thirty-one?" I ask, calculating his age in my head. "Wow, I thought you were younger."

Not by a lot, but I didn't think he was eight years older than me. Maybe five years max.

Okay...maybe four.

"Really?" he smirks. "Thank you."

I roll my eyes, tossing him a sly grin. Such arrogance. "That was not a compliment."

He lets out a dissatisfied humph. "Tread lightly, Kiara. I can be quite sensitive at times."

I laugh at the absurdity of his statement. "Apologies, I momentarily forgot how fragile a man's ego can be."

"That is the opposite of treading lightly," he notes, narrowing his eyes at me. "You are not very obedient, are you?"

I tilt my head. "I can be very obedient, Mr. Di Vaio," I coo. "Depends on the circumstance."

His lip twitches, his pupils dilating as he lifts up his wine, methodically twirling the red liquid around the curved orifice of the glass. "And what types of circumstances would those be?"

I shrug, casting him a knowing smile, refusing to satisfy his oozing curiosity. "I guess you'll have to find out."

His tongue delicately laves against the sharp edge of the wine glass before he takes a slow sip of Chianti.

"I intend to," he states, his confident eyes almost seeing right through me.

Almost.

I swallow, sinking my teeth into my bottom lip. "I'd like to see you try."

"In that case-" A puckish grin clips his lips as he lifts up his glass. "To challenging oneself."

"And to knowing one's limitations," I add as we toast to an uncertain future.

__________________

OOF. MiKi (?)...y'all got some polarizing views. Or do you? DUN DUN DUN.

What's a good ship name? LOL MiKi? Kilo? Miara? KiMi? I can't.

THOUGHTS? THOUGHTS?

Vote and comment if you've enjoyed!

🖤🖤🖤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...
4.3K 60 5
i haven't seen a lot of error143 stories so im making one! please do request ideas!
19.8M 549K 46
Revenge. I'm familiar with it. You have to be when you're the firstborn son of a notorious mafia leader. Death and vengeance have been the very found...
982K 23.7K 43
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...