Within The Bonds

By nightlighe01

She is innocent They are manipulative She plays it safe They thrive in danger She likes her normal life ... More

Introduction
1: Brothers?
2: Mysterious Driver
3: Everyone's Home
4: Just Jet Lagged
5: Rules are for fools
6: Who Hurt You?
7: Panic Attack
8: Allergies
9: No Doctors
10: More Brothers?
11: One Long Day
12: Dinner Drama
13: Comfort
14: Shopping?
15: Bull's Eye
16: Flashback
17: First Day
18: Tryouts
19: Murdered
20: Security Team
21: Big Trouble
22: Who's Seb?
23: Haunting Past
24: Silence
25: Truth
26: Psych Psychologist
27: Permission
28: Tizan
29: Prank Time!
30: Jason
31: An Anagram?
32: Getting Down To Buisness
33: Memory Box
34: Fallon
35: Definition Of Annoyance
36: Monkey In The Middle
37: Dad!?
38: Dilemma
39: Cold Sweat
40: Rule Number Three
41: Closure
42: Floating Restaurant
43: Dreaming Of Mum
44: Toy War
45: Naming Ducks
46: Negotiations
47: The Family Rule
48: Face The Consequences
49: Their Office
50: Troubled Thoughts
51: Shell-Shocked
52: Straight Answers
53: Bugged
54: Achy Muscles
55: Hell Week
56: I'm Screwed
57: I Need To Get Help
58: Lisa Polisa
60: Uprooting Storm
61: Dream Or Reality?
62: A New View
63: Fourteen-Years-Ago
64: Couple Of Weeks Away
65: Improvise
66: UNO
67: Special Agent Louis
68: Crushy Crushy Crush
69: Details
70: Lemon Tart
71: Don't You Dare Finish That Sentence
72: You're Bossy
73: Cranberry Fruit Punch
74: We're Dead Meat
75: Not Your Damn Daughter
76: Candy Stripers
77: Connecting The Dots
78: I Need Air
79: Power
80: I Like You
81: The Todorov's & Volkov's
82: We've Got Company
83: Up The Tree
84: Rescue
85: Fallen In Place
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Epilogue
The Sequel

59: Clue 1

13.9K 548 164
By nightlighe01

His every stride makes the thumping in my heart get louder. Putting my mind on overdrive, I'm presented with numerous excuses that hold the possibility of raising yet another question in counter.

Shoving my hands into the depths of my pockets, I push away the piece of paper to its further most corner.

His gaze still holding mine hostage, the suspicion evident in them he continues to progress towards me.

Frowning he takes pause right in front of me and wordlessly grabs my hand. Flinching instinctively, I observe in silent panic as he studies my hand, and only then does realization settle in.

"What happened to your hand?" He inquires shedding just a sliver of concern in his tone.

"Nothing much," I mumble trying to mask the unavoidable urgency that tints my tone.

"You don't say," he retorts sarcastically.

"Fine, I got into a fight with someone. Liam knows about it, okay bye-bye," I confess removing my hand from his grasp and hightailing to my room.

Trashing the messenger paper into the dustbin in hopes that it might reach someone, I flop down on my desk chair releasing a defeated sigh.

Blocked User: Burn the paper.

'How am I supposed to do that without raising any alarms?' Is the first thought that pops into my mind when I read the text.

'Maybe I can use that to my advantage?'

But this idea is soon discarded when I realize that this stunt might attract a lot more attention than I intend to.

Collecting the same from the dustbin-that is relatively empty-I let my mind wander.

'I can burn the paper later at the fireplace'

Settling on this idea, I focus on the more pressing subject of concern. I'm yet to figure out what this sender wants, and I'm already at a helpless end of my rope?

Clouded with suggestions and objections cornering me from every side, my urgency for exiting the room reaches its apex.

Grabbing my gym back, I head to the only place I know I will find comfort-the gym.

Tapping my phone into the tranquillity of airplane mode, I zoom down the stairs and slip into the basement unnoticed.

With my bag finding its place at a corner, I'm quick to change out of my clothes and headspace.

Paring my device with the surround sound, I select my workout playlist and let the music and its beats resonate throughout the room. It doesn't much for me to lose myself into my drills and even less with music pumping in the air.

The track changes from Kings & Queens to So Am I by Ava Max letting me know the amount of time I spend on each station.

But the lingering change in the air that is quick to make it's presence known causes me to spot mid-push-up and face the door.

"Which part of tomorrow gym at six, didn't you understand?" Liam admonishes with crossed arms standing at the entrance of the gym.

"Needed to blow some steam," I grumble under my breath.

"Well, find another way then. Spending too many hours at the gym can cause some serious damage," he adds coating his tone in disapproval.

"Just routine exercise, Liam, nothing extreme," I defend my lost cause.

"I've seen you work out, Astoria. There is no moderation in your routine," he points out.

Just then the beats change from electropop to the heart-throbbing thump of metal rock. Being on one of its highest settings doesn't aid in any way which earns me a momentary glare from Liam.

"Plan on rendering yourself deaf?!" He yells over the blasting sound, just before disabling the speakers.

"Hey!" I yell in protest, but apparently, he's the one who is already rendered deaf, since I don't receive a response.

"You have a very schizophrenic taste in music," he remarks in a low whisper only meant to reach his ears, but little did the sound wave know that before it traveled to my ears.

"And you might want to consider giving those bruises time to heal," he suggests as air calms down into stagnant silence.

Ignoring him and his words of advice, I get back on my hands and feet and resume from where I left off.

Mentally counting out my last push-up, I'm pulled to my feet by an external source before I can do it myself.

Putting Liam's face to the hand that pulled me up, I look at him with nothing but impassiveness. Lock in a stare down with none of us up to call quits, I pull my arm out of his grip.

"Come on, lunch is served," he informs after a long moment.

Nodding in acknowledgment I back away without breaking eye contact, turning on my heels I make my exit.

Leaving the gym, I leave along with it my moments of tranquillity and dive headfirst back into the unfathomed side of my thoughts and reality.

I try not to let the worry my mind is overshadowed by, show in my stance or features, but there is only so much that I can control.

Making a quick stop at my room, I shower and change before heading to the dining room. Pulling out my chair at the table, I take a seat and soon the rest join in.

Time flies by in a perfect alternation between eating and small talk that I'm made part of occasionally.

In less than a heartbeat, Jack is quick to point out the injury endured by my hand but is soon dismissed by Liam.

Focusing on finishing my food, I avoid adding or responding to anything that isn't important while also not displaying any alarming behavior.

"Astoria, hold up one second," Noah calls stopping in my track as I proceed to leave the table, now done with my meal.

"Yeah?" I acknowledge shifting to face him.

"Meet me in the study, I need to discuss something with you," he instructs and goes back to eating.

With uncertainty bubbling within me, I head towards the study. Entering the room, my eyes widen in realization and I delve into my pocket for my phone.

Sighing a breath of relief when I tap my phone back to its normal setting and see no missed text.

Blocked User: If you even think about spilling, you know the consequences.

'How does this person know where and with who I am at all times?'

This sends me into a fit of paranoia, and all my senses become very aware of my surroundings.

Jumping in my spot at the sound of the door disengaging from its closed position, I relax when I see Noah.

"You alright?" He inquires with a sliver of concern and I nod affirmatively.

"You just startled me, that's all," I dismiss.

"So, Xavier called earlier," he starts out as I take a seat in front of the desk and he takes his behind it.

"Am I in trouble?" I say, skipping the merry-go-round and cutting to the chase.

My mind's already drowning in paranoia, I didn't need added suspense to the list.

"Not exactly. Your algebra teacher got in contact with him about your slipping grades," he says and takes a pause to study my reaction while I give none.

"Not my fault he's a lousy teacher," I grumble scornfully under my breath, irritated that he actually called Xavier about it.

"Astoria," Noah calls out in warning and I refrain from rolling my eyes.

"I'll make this easier for the both of us, yeah?" He states gaining my attention.

"Do you need help in algebra or any subject for that matter?" He inquires and leaves me to think while we sit in silence.

"Not really," I mumble fumbling with my fingernails habitually.

"You need to speak up and give me a clear answer," he instructs firmly causing my head to shoot up in attention.

"I don't know alright! I used to be good at algebra, I'm in an advanced class for crying out loud," I reply trying to control my tone.

"What's wrong then?" He asks looking genuinely interested which pisses me off all the more for reasons beyond my understanding.

"You think if I knew, I wouldn't have done something about it already?" I scoff.

The air in the room changes enough for me to notice it. The tension increasing while tolerance decreases, but all I can think of is ways to get out of here.

The more time I spend here the possibility of things going wrong increases.

"For now, Jack will assist you in algebra for your upcoming exams, and if need be, we'll appoint a tutor," he rules in conclusion.

"I can manage," I decline promptly.

"You clearly can't and I can't have you fairing poorly in any subject," he asserts leaving no room for argument.

"Whatever," I grumble irritably pushing out of my chair.

"You're hanging on a slim rope, Irmãzinha," he adds monotonously stopping me in my track.

"Why Jack though?" I question turning to face him ignoring his recent remark.

"Everyone's got a neck for something, he has one for numbers," he replies nonchalantly with a shrug and I leave the room soon after.

'Jack and good at math? That's something I never thought I'd hear'

Blocked User: Good job my Lisa Polisa. Now I'm still waiting on you to burn that paper of yours, but I can also be patient at times.

Reading the message makes me want to be sick. But I try to focus on how to get this to the boys' attention subtly instead of letting the sender succeed in goading me.

Slamming my room door shut once I'm in, I bury myself under my sheets. My head throbbing while my heart feeling heavy. Nothing around me seems to make sense anymore, everything is just spinning in monotonous pirouettes.

Blocked User: Against time you can race, but it still remains fair. It will tick the moments by, without leaving any to spare.

Frowning at the unclarity of the text, I read and reread it a countless times more, yet fail to make any sense of it. But well aware of the sender's overall motives I can say with certainty that this message is intentional, harboring some form of reason of its own.

Blocked User: Don't worry my dear, it will all make sense now.

Momentarily after this, a link to a google doc file appears. In trepidation, I click on the link taking me onto my browser where I find what looks to be my first clue.

Clue 1

For the clue, you seek,
Find the person from whom comes the leak

And soon you will find,
If the clue you keep in mind

Search for what is true
And the riddle from, you'll see right through.

When you try to search for signs,
Don't forget to read between the line

The insect in the air,
Surrounds you everywhere

The buzzing of the bees,
Is the sounding of the trees

The basket of flowers,
Will die by the hours
But your laughter will help regain,
It's beauty once again.

What this message confines,
Are the answers to the lies.

What you can't for now see,
You will soon I guarantee
But for that, you need to be,
In complete agreement with me.

Now for the walls with ears,
The reasons for all your fears.

It is closer than you think,
But in deep thought don't you sink!

"Guess I just found my solution!" I mumble to myself as my eyes remain opened wide, glistening with the glow of my discovery radiating in them.

Author's Note:

So this a completely random update...I know, but when ideas strike I have to write 😅

Thoughts on the chapter?

Do comment &vote on your way out!

Thanks for reading!

Stay safe & happy!

~Kia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Unravelling By wee_me

General Fiction

454K 15K 63
Lily is happy with her life. She has a unique family that she can rely on as well as four great friends who support her - and vice versa. She doesn't...
Forever family By Candyfloss

Mystery / Thriller

648K 16.2K 22
Emmalin Folliero is a 14-year-old who has been though more than most girls her age. Her mother is a drug addict and her step-father is extremely abus...
16.1K 1K 10
𝓐𝓭𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓪 𝓖𝓮𝓷𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓼𝓮 is thirteen years old and, as far as she's concerned, doesn't have a family. She's been trapped in foster care f...
82.7K 2.6K 33
Anastasia had never had an easy life. Living with an abusive step father and an even worse mother, Anastasia had accepted the fact that her life woul...