MORE, james potter ✔

By -tothelakes

OLD DRAFT, ella-rose, a strong-willed gryffindor, had always known james. they had been best friends since th... More

REWRITTEN
MORE
GRAPHICS
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
interlude : the aftermath
chapter nine
chapter ten
interlude: a conversation between friends
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
interlude: what now?
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
interlude: james' side
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-seven
chapter twenty-eight
chapter twenty-nine
chapter thirty
bonus scene: cuddling

chapter twenty-six

6.8K 181 71
By -tothelakes

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.
( THREATS. )

     Breakfast was loud and boisterous and usual but it wasn't until a few moments later that they were interrupted. But rather than it being Sirius or one of the boys, it was Ella's step-mother. A fake sickly sweet smile on her face as she let her hands rest behind her back. Looking like the ideal woman, exactly what her father wanted. Ella wasn't entirely surprised they had got together.

"Ella, I was hoping to catch you before your first lesson," She said as Ella turned to face her more. The brunette sent the woman a smile and then she was gestured to stand up, "I don't suppose you girls mind?" She asked but she didn't give any of them a chance to object. Professor Landon grabbed Ella's arm harshly and began to walk with her out of the room.

To an outsider, it would look like nothing but Ella knew that something bad was about to happen. Somebody was going to ruin her day, she knew that much, but she didn't expect it to be Professor Landon. The thought of her step-mother had barely crossed her mind since the previous day but now it was inescapable and she was being dragged towards Professor Landon's office.

Ella felt oddly like a lamb to the slaughter and when they entered the room, the door was shut and promptly locked. There was no chance of escape now and whatever was about to happen, Ella knew that she just had to accept it. She had no way to stop her step-mother from doing whatever she was about to and that was fine.

"What did you want to speak to me about, Professor Landon?" Ella asked softly. She intentionally tried to remove her accent from her words, making an effort to speak 'properly'. She wasn't entirely sure why but she hoped that it would make Professor Landon kinder to her. She didn't want to face whatever she was about to, Ella's life was finally beginning to feel happy and it was about to be ruined.

"Your grades, Ella-Rose. They are awful," Professor Landon responded as she brought out a piece of paper. She placed it on the desk and it displayed her grades from the past few years of school. The Os and Es was most of the boxes with a few lower grades but the most recent mock exams were a completely different story. They were the lowest they had ever been.

"I know, I've been tryin' to improve them. I've done a lot of work and revision and studyin' to try and preve-," Ella quickly began but was cut off with a sharp glare. The brunette just stopped, letting her hands rest against her sides as she stared down at the floor. No matter what you do, your grades aren't going to change, a voice whispered in the back of Ella's head. The self-doubt hitting like a tsunami that Ella was desperately trying to avoid by hiding in a small cottage.

"I don't care what you are doing!" The woman responded harshly and the she continued, "You are failing this class and many other classes based on your recent performance which means that you might have to drop the NEWTs before the exam season comes around. To make the work load lighter on you and to ensure you get the grades you truly deserve. I've already suggested which ones you can drop. Namely ancient runes and the advanced potions class you are taking. You are doing poorly in both subjects, Ella-Rose. I would suggest you stop doing them before it's too late. I wouldn't want you to leave her and have failed and get no qualifications at all." Her voice was sickly sweet and overly sugared, she was trying to make Ella-Rose believe what she was saying but Ella frankly didn't.

It felt like an insult to her to ask her to drop the subjects she had been working so hard to do well in. The subjects that she had been revising and working towards getting good grades in. Whatever had happened on the mock exams - Ella knew - would not happen on the real exams. She knew herself and knew she would not mess this up. No matter what her step-mother tried to do.

"I'm won't drop any subjects. I have been working six years to get here and one mock exam grade isn't going to stop me," Ella said defiantly and that's when Professor Landon walked over. She lifted her hand and rested it against Ella's shoulder, a sickly sweet smile appearing on her lips.

"I'm afraid you may not have a choice in the matter, sweetheart," Professor Landon said, digging her nails into Ella's shoulder. The brunette winced in pain as her nails dug into her shoulders. Ella's skin was protected by her clothes yet that gave her no comfort. If anything that worried her, she didn't know what this woman would do.

"I 'ave every choice in the matter. I will not let you dictate my life. I have expectations to up'old, Professor Landon." Ella responded as she tried to step away. Hoping her defiance would allow her some reprieve from the suffocating presence of the older woman. But it only led to Ella's arm being caught my her hand. Her nails now truly digging into her skin.

"You have no such expectations. After these awful grades, I don't think anyone expects you to do well. It's rather disappointing. Nobody would be angry or surprised that you decided to drop some subjects. I always thought it was too much for your precious little mind to handle," Professor Landon said as she forced Ella to look at her. The brunette let a soft sigh escape her lips and she tried to control her breathing, ignore the stinging in her wrist.

"Other people's expectations don't concern me. I 'ave my own expectations to live up," Ella said, pulling her wrist away. She then stepped back and Professor Landon scoffed. She took her wand from her pocket and flicked it.

"Colloportus," Professor Landon said, the door in front of Ella locking. The brunette let out a soft sigh and turned to face Professor Landon now. Her sleek straight hair giving her an air of self-importance. Ella wanted nothing more than to ruin her perfect exterior and then maybe her father would see how venomous she really was, "Did I dismiss you?" Professor Landon asked. Ella shook her head, watching her defiantly. Professor Landon pursed her lips and grabbed Ella by her arm and pushed her towards the chairs by the desk. She shoved Ella into that chair and then sat on the edge of the desk, staring down her nose at the brunette.

"You've already assaulted me. Are you going to do it again?" Ella spat as she moved to sit up. Not letting her step-mother intimidate her. Ella had faced much worse things than a woman with a temper. McGonagall discovering Ella drunk made her very much desensitised to any anger from just about anyone. She had also witnessed one of James' fits of anger during their third year. Someone had made a comment about Remus and she had been the one to calm him down.

"You need to watch where you tread, Ella-Rose. I may be married to your father but I have no qualms with punishing you as I see fit. You have been nothing but cruel and dastardly to your father who has done nothing but try and reconnect with you. I think it's rather selfish and cruel to act like you own him nothing. He is the only reason you are still here and you weren't chucked out of this school months ago," Professor Landon said, leaning forward to press her wand against Ella's throat. The brunette's eyebrows pulled together and she heard Professor Landon mutter something. Her throat quickly felt like it was contricting and she gasped for air, gripping the arms of the chair. What was she doing? "Yes. I mean, I cannot attack a student's home. That would be most inappropriate and well, despite many attempts, Dumbledore seems content with letting you stay here and complete your studies. I don't approve but I suppose it'll keep you out of our way if you are too busy with your silly little job," Professor Landon continued. Her monologue going into Ella's ears and out the other. What she was saying was lost to Ella as she tried to fight for the little air she could gather. Her throat closing up further.

The wand was then moved away and Ella could breathe again. She gasped harshly and gripped onto the arms of the chair, pushing herself forward to try and get off the chair. But Professor Landon shoved her right back down into the chair. A soft yelp escaping her lips, Ella's breathing heavy as she gripped the edge of the chair. She couldn't be here.

"Let me leave, you psychotic wa-" Ella began but was cut off by a swift and sharp 'silencio' and Ella couldn't speak anymore. No noise escaped her lips, not even the sound of her harsh ragged breaths could be heard. There was nothing and Professor Landon seemed pleased. She stood up and walked around to sit on her side of the desk.

"You won't tell anyone about this and if you do, well, I might have to take severe action against you. What that will be really depends on what you plan on doing. I suggest that you start to think about dropping a subject or two, Ella-Rose. It will do wonders for your grade. Now, you can leave. I recognise that you have a class, you better hurry or you'll be late," Professor Landon said as she took a stack of papers from her drawer. She spoke so casually like the conversation they had had was far from perfect. Ella nodded and stood up, taking her leave making sure she had everything.

Ella then headed towards her Astronomy lesson. It was the one day that they had their Astronomy lesson at a normal time and Ella just wanted to get there. She could just sit in her seat in the corner and deal with everything during the fifteen minute break between lessons. She would have to find someone, maybe James to fix what had happened. Ella didn't know who she could turn to but she had to try and tell somebody. Being silenced the whole day was far from what Ella wanted. It already made her blood boil in anger. She felt and was quite literally voiceless.

***

     Ella was stood in the hallway just outside her Astronomy lesson. The students were all milling around and Ella had managed to keep herself concealed from sight. The door opened a few moments later and she was quick to walk inside. She crossed to her lone seat and placed herself down. The seat next to her was empty as it always was and she prayed that James didn't see her.

     But luck was not on her side that day. He spotted her in the corner, distracting herself with taking things out of her bag. He glanced over at his usual seat but decided to just go over to her. He sat down next to her and Ella felt herself tense up. Her hand pausing over her work and he smiled.

     "Are you okay?" James asked and Ella merely gave him a nod. Despite her want to tell him that she wasn't actually fine, she quite literally couldn't. Her step-mother had rendered her useless and before James could ask her what was wrong, their teacher had came in. He looked exhausted frankly but he tried his best. He travelled to the front of the class. His voice booming around the room.

     Ella tried her best to concentrate on the class and pretend that she had forgotten about her lack of voice. Though she found herself mumbling as if she could talk but no sound came out. James had noticed and about halfway through the lesson while their teacher was still lecturing, he pushed a note towards her. It was a simple question 'what's wrong?'.

     Ella at first pretended that she hadn't seen it but knew that she couldn't ignore it. She took it from the table and hid it beneath her palm. Once the teacher had turned back to the chalkboard, she looked down at the note and saw the words. Ella then grabbed her quill and dipped it in ink. It wasn't unusual for them to be making notes on the lesson so at least Ella would not be questioned.

     However, she didn't know how or where to start with what was wrong because she felt like a lot of things were wrong. But her lack of voice might be the first thing and the place to start. She then wrote a quick note of 'can't speak, don't fix it now' and passed it back to him. James looked down at the note and turned to her, raising an eyebrow. She shook her head and he let out a soft sigh. Ella just sent him a smile and wrapped an arm around his. Her fingers intertwining with his. She wanted to tell him that she would be fine and it was nothing but she couldn't even speak.

     It left her feeling so odd and she was just thankful that she didn't get asked any question despite how much her teacher usually seemed to like her. Ella managed to analyse and finish her astronomy chart pretty quickly so sat in silence, tapping at the edge of ink pot for a few minutes. The teacher observing and watching them closely. Ella didn't really pay attention and when the teacher began to talk again, she was thankful.

     The lack of conversation between her and James probably looked suspicious but Ella tried to ignore those thoughts. Nobody had asked them and nobody really knew what they were so it wasn't anything totally unusual. Ella and James really didn't even know what they were, they weren't exactly friends with benefits but they had yet to actually have that conversation where they confessed. It was the odd in-between phase and Ella wasn't going to rush him. She cared far too much.

     As the lesson came to end, Ella quickly began to pack her stuff away. Staying sat in her seat as the teacher left, the rest of the students slowly filtering out. The brunette let out an inaudible sigh and rested her head in her hands. She wanted nothing more than to cry or just have someone actually able to speak to her. Being silenced was one of the worst things that Ella had ever experienced.

     James gave the room a once over before he faced her properly. A soft sigh escaping his lips. He really should have paid attention in charms because he didn't know the counter-curse to silencio. Ella just stared at him, not quite understanding it.

     "I don't know the counter-curse. We need to go back to the Common Room," James said as he grabbed his satchel. He put it over his shoulder as he stood up. Ella shook her head, her eyes filling with tears as she stood up too. She pushed her chair under and pulled her satchel over her shoulder. The bruises and nail marks evident on her wrist now. James looked at it and frowned, "We need to go now," He said. Ella shook her head more violently.

     He tried to walk away but she was quick to grab his arm. She gripped it tightly and tugged him back. She could just write it for him but he seemed content to take it back to the dorms. Ella just wanted to be able to speak, it was frustrating enough. She needed to speak, to explain. This would get out of hand otherwise and she didn't know what people would say.

     "We can't wait, Ella. I need to check the charms book," He responded and the brunette let out a huff that was still inaudible. She just let her hand drop and James sighed. He then held his hand out for her to take and she gladly took it. They still had another ten minutes until the next lesson, hopefully James could fix this before then, "I also need to heal your wrist," He added. Ella nodded and the pair walked out of the classroom hand-in-hand.

     They walked down the corridor and were quickly back at the Common Room. It was relatively quiet and they were able to get to the Marauders dorm quickly. James closed the door and dropped his satchel. Ella placed it down next to the door and walked over to his bed. She sits down and just lets out a soft sigh. She hated not being able to talk. To say a word. It made her feel worthless.

     "Okay, I've got the book," James said as he walked over to Ella. She was quick to snatch the book from his grasp and flipped to the right page quickly. Then she turned to show it to him, pointing at the counter-curse 'sonorous'. He nodded, grabbed his wand and then repeated the word to her. The ability to talk finally coming back to her.

     It was like a heaviness had been lifted off her throat and Ella opened her mouth, going to test whether it had worked but she wasn't sure she wanted to know. James noticed her hesitance and took the book from her hand. He then sat down next to her, turning her head to face him. He then leant forward and pressed a soft kiss to her lips.

     "Are you okay?" He asked softly as he reached out for his wand again. Ella nodded and she swallowed, feeling like she could finally breathe again. Her hands reaching out for his, intertwining their fingers before she finally spoke.

     "It was my step-mother," Ella said. Her voice sounded slightly hoarse and nowhere near how it usually would but she was at least speaking. That's all James wanted and he was quick to wrap his arms around her. Holding her tightly. He was glad he at least was able to perfrom the counter-curse right. He was worried they'd have to get someone's help.

     "Let me heal your hand," He said softly as Ella crawled over to sit on his lap. She buried her face in his neck and he kept a hold of her. Ella looked up at him and then back down to her wrist. The skin was bruised and she could still see the nail marks that had been dug into her skin by that woman. It made Ella's stomach turn. An impression could be made so easily and Ella hated that so much. She didn't want to be reminded of her.

     "I really should learn the spells," Ella muttered and James shrugged. He pulled out his wand and lifted it up. He muttered the charm and her bruises quickly began to disappear. The skin turning from a deep purple colour to their normal skin colour. James smiled softly and pressed a kiss to where the bruise had been.

     "All healed," He muttered before he looked up at her. The frown evident on the brunette's face but it didn't expose half of what she was feeling. Ella felt like she was on the verge of another breakdown. Being silenced for over an hour was not how she wanted to spend her time. It made her stomach twist and the tears were quick to begin to fall. James froze up for a moment but was quick to pull her closer. He rested his head against the top of hers and pressed a kiss to her hairline.

     A sob passing through Ella's lips as she gripped onto his jumper. Her eyes squeezed shut as tears fell freely. Being unable to voice her opinion or even just speak to her friends had thrown her off again. She just wanted to be normal, feel normal and with everything her step-mother had been saying, Ella just wished she could have screamed at her for the horrible words. Ella knew she was better than what the results showed and people wanted her to do well. Everything felt wrong and so overwhelming.

     James' soothing words did little to stop the overwhelming emotions and breakdown that quickly came but he was there and that's all Ella needed. His presence was enough and even if he was awkward and sometimes unsure, just holding her made her feel safe.

     Ella wasn't sure how long she was crying before she finally managed to calm down and actually breathe but James wanted. He was patient and he wanted nothing more than to just help her. His arms wrapping around her and shushing her, doing everything she needed. So now she could lift her head and the tears had stopped falling. Her nose was runny and her eyes were puffy and red but a weight had been lifted off her chest. She felt better.

     He lifted his hands to cup her cheeks and Ella closed her eyes, leaning into the touch as she sniffled. James leant forward and pressed a kiss to her lips. He could taste the tanginess on her lips due to the fallen tears but he looked past it. He hoped it would make her feel better and with Ella kissing back softly, he knew that she was at least a little better.

     He pulled away after a moment and ran his fingers through her hair softly. She felt like he was looking into her soul and it gave her an odd sense of comfort. It's like he knew her and that made her smile more than anything.

     "You're too good to me, James. Thank you," She muttered softly as she rested her forehead against James'. He shook his head and wiped the tears from her cheeks, a soft smile on his lips as he admired her. Her eyes were closed now as she just felt him close. There was something about her that just made her look so beautiful like that. Her face relaxing as he held her close.

     "Do you want another jumper? I can smell the sick on this one from last night," James said softly, gently nudging her nose with his own. A grin spread across her face at his words and she nodded her head, pulling away. He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead and then allowed her to climb off him. She pulled her cloak off and then her jumper, sprawling out onto the bed as she inhaled his scent.

     "It's our free period now, you know," He added as he walked to the trunk. He knelt down and then went on a search for a fresh school jumper that she could wear. It wasn't hard for him to find one and he stood up, watching her as she just lay there, silent and unmoving.

     "Then maybe we can just cuddle?" Ella suggested as she rolled over onto her back. James smiled softly at the suggestion and climbed onto the bed to sit down next to her. He gave her the jumper and she held it against her chest as she looked up at him.

     "I've got no objection," He shrugged. Ella grinned and then James moved to sit against the headboard. Ella grinned and then she reached over to her wand she had placed on the bedside table. She said 'Accio' and her satchel jumped to her hand. Then she rummaged through it before pulling out her battered copy of Lord of the Rings. Ella had marked where her and James had gotten to during their reading and wanted to sit and read and cuddle with him now.

     "Since ya promised me we could finish it," Ella grinned as she sat between his legs. Her back pressed up against his chest. James sighed but nodded his head. He pressed a soft kiss to the back of her head and adjusted his glasses on his face, pushing them back up his nose as he cuddled her close.

     "I'll let you off then," He whispered in her ear. Ella grinned and squirmed slightly. His hands then rested against her thighs, one wrapped around her stomach while the other one stayed on the top of her skirt. Something Ella was slightly wary of but once they had began reading, she knew would be fine. The two of them reading happily as they kept each other close. A few soft teasing words spoke between them and comments on what they were reading but other than that, it was just her and James sitting together and enjoying their time. The time they still had together.

***

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄 ! OKAY I JUST CHECKED AND THERE's ONLY FOUR CHAPTERS AFTER THIS ONE AND IM SCARED.,im just scared for this to end because these two are my absolute babies and  the support on this book has been literally the best thing in the world to so thank you all for that <3 but yeah, we've got a fluffy chapter with some angst at the top... it's gonna stay pretty fluffy from now on tho, i hope you enjoyed <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 83 11
❝ 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋? ❞ ― 𝖺𝖿𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖺 𝗍𝗎𝗋𝗆𝗈𝗂𝗅 𝗈𝖿 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗒𝖺𝗅𝗌, 𝖺 𝗆𝖺𝗋𝗋𝗂...
156K 5.3K 17
in which a girl named for the stars falls in love with someone with a smile incomparable to any star in existence - [hp] [marauders era, sixth year] ...
184K 3.9K 35
꧁In which they both have feelings but are unknown to eachother꧂ OR After 6 years of chasing Lily Evans it seems as if James Potter has given up on...
487 28 9
She never thought she could love a human being so much, nor did she think she could be loved back just as much. JAMES POTTER X FEM OC *pov change*