Living in Reseda

By Caroline1954

Hazel Lopez has lived in her small Reseda apartment with her mom and Abuela for as long as she can remember... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Churros
Chapter 2: New kid
Chapter 3: Meeting the Neighbors
Chapter 4: Pepto Bismol
Chapter 5: Opening a Dojo
Chapter 6: Demetri and Eli
Chapter 7: Walking With Miguel
Chapter 8: Empanadas
Chapter 9: Dinner at the Larusso's
Chapter 10: Kicking
Author's Note
Chapter 11: The Halloween Dance
Chapter 12: No More Karate
Chapter 13: Closing the Dojo
Chapter 14: Making up
Chapter 15: The Third Student
Chapter 16: Cafeteria Fight
Chapter 16: Enrollment Surges
Chapter 17: Larusso Auto
Chapter 18: Lip
Author's Note

Chapter 19: Dating Advice

96 6 0
By Caroline1954

Hazel's POV

"So, you practice karate with both my sensei and your sensei who happens to be my dad," Robby clarified. I nodded as I held my phone out in front of me. I was on a FaceTime call with Robby and we were discussing karate.

"And let's not forget that my two sensei's have an ongoing rivalry," I added.

"Wow," Robby replied, leaning back against his wall. I sighed.

"Tell me about it," I looked over at the piece of paper I had written out in front of me. Seeing it drawn out on paper made it seem crazier then it had when I first thought about it. I held the picture up to the camera and Robby studied it for a minute before nodding and adding something else.

"What about that friend of yours. The one you like?" Robby asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Miguel," I said. I had told Robby that I liked Miguel and I immediately regretted it after all the teasing and joking started.

"Yeah, him! Add him to the paper and then send me a picture of it," Robby said. I nodded and wrote Miguel's name on the paper before snapping a picture and texting it to Robby.

(This is what Hazel wrote down)

"So are you going to keep it a secret?" Robby asked after he had received my text.

"What do you think? Your dad would go crazy if he knew I was training with Daniel. He would think I was betraying him. And I can't tell Miguel, he's too innocent and he wouldn't know how to keep a secret from Johnny," I said. "Wait, you can't tell them," I added.

"I'll keep your secret as long as you keep mine," He said raising his eyebrow for confirmation.

"Deal," I replied.

"All right sweetheart, I gotta go. My mom just got home and I can't let her know about my secret girlfriend," Robby said, winking at the last part. I rolled my eyes playfully.

"You wish Keene," I teased. After we said our goodbyes and hung up, I walked into the kitchen, where my mom was cooking dinner, Abuela was sitting at the table glaring at the kids, Jake and Peter were on their phones, and Marley was sitting on the floor playing with some toys.

"Hey, mjia. Were you on a call with Miguel?" My mom asked as I sat down on the couch.

"No, Robby," I answered.

"Another boyfriend?" Jake teased looking up from his phone. I glared at him.

"Oooooo. Hazel has a boyfriend," Peter said laughing.

"No. We're just friends," I said.

"Uh huh. That's what they all say," The boys replied while grinning.

"Boys," My mom said in a warning tone. Jake and Peter put their hands up in an "I surrender" way and my mom looked back at the food she was cooking. "Hazel please come set the table," My mom said, reaching for the salt and shaking some into the pot on the stove. I got up and opened the cabinet as my mom started talking again.

"You know, you boys should stop teasing Hazel. Sooner or later you're gonna have girlfriends, and I'm not gonna stop her from telling them all the embarrassing story's about you two," My mom said.

"Like that time Jake asked that girl to--" I started.

"Shut up!" Jake yelled, sitting me off. I stuck my tongue out at them, my spirits now lifted.

*Time Skip*

When I got to school the next day, I wished I was home in bed. Things had been stressful. Eli, well now Hawk, totally transformed himself, Sam and Miguel had been getting much closer, some of the Cobra Kai students were becoming jerks, and between school, Cobra Kai, training with Daniel and Robby, being a good friend to Aisha, watching Marley, and making sure Jake and Peter didn't do anything stupid, I was stretched as thin as a rubber band about to snap. Sam walked past me as I made my way to my locker and Miguel walked next to her. I was happy that my two best friends got along, but I wished they didn't get along... that way.

My "double life" as Robby and I liked to call it, was hard. I had to make sure my paths didn't cross. I had come close a few times and I narrowly avoided some awkward and harsh conversations. There were times I was with Miguel and Robby would call, or I was with Johnny and Daniel would text. I even ran into Daniel when I was shopping with Johnny and Miguel for new mats, and I walked on eggshells the whole groceries trip. Robby was helping though. It was nice to talk to him, and we had gotten much closer. He was the only one who knew about my secret and he was sort of in the same boat. Robby still hadn't told Daniel who his father was and I sure as heck wasn't gonna be the one to tell him. Robby sent me a text as I opened my locker and I pulled it out of my pocket to read.

Robby 😍🥵

See you later ;)

"Oooo. Who are you texting? Look at those emojis! Who is that?" Aisha asked, looking over my shoulder.

"My friend Robby," I replied rolling my eyes playfully.

"Is he cute? Hot?" Aisha asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Very."

"Single?"

"Yup."

"Ask him out."

I opened my mouth to answer but my eyes betrayed me and drifted over to Miguel who was talking to Demetri, giving me away. Aisha followed my gaze and raised her brows looking at me for details.

"Oh, I see," Aisha said, smirking.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, trying to sound innocent.

"You like Miguel."

"I do not!" I said defensively.

"Yes, you most certainly do."

"No!"

"Yup."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Ah. Still, in denial I see," Aisha said smugly.

"Oh, shut up," I mumbled, turning away from the boys. Aisha chuckled and just gave me a knowing look.

*Time Skip*

I walked to the dojo with Aisha, the whole time her pestering me about Miguel.

"He doesn't even like me back!" I used as an argument.

"What are you talking about? Of course, he does! Have you seen the way he looks at you?" Aisha asked.

"He looks at me like a little sister," I replied.

"You know Hazel, you really are clueless sometimes," Aisha said, hooking her arm in mine and walking into the dojo.

"Fine. Hypothetically, if  he did look at me, not in a sisterly way, how would he look at me?" I asked, hoping I sounded like I didn't care when really I did.

"Well, hypothetically if he did look at you, not in a sisterly way, he would look at you like someone he liked more than he was willing to admit," Aisha said knowingly.

"I highly doubt that," I said, thinking of the eldest Larusso child. "What about Sam? He definitely likes her," I added.

"Forget about Sam! Go for it! Look, worse comes to worst it doesn't work out and you can date Robby," Aisha said. "You admitted Robby is hot, and we both know he flirts with you for a reason. Date him," Aisha said, nudging me.

Third Person's POV

Miguel walked into the dojo and saw Hazel and Aisha talking in a corner. He was about the head over to them when he heard Aisha say something that made his thoughts swarm like bees.

"You admitted Robby is hot, and we both know he flirts with you for a reason. Date him." Miguel wasn't sure why this bothered him. He wasn't dating Hazel and he liked Sam! But for some reason, it still stung. He liked Sam so much that he even wanted to ask her out, but every time he thought about it, he just thought of Hazel. Maybe he just didn't want her to get hurt. After all, she was friends with him and Sam so she might feel left out if the two dated. It only stung that she was talking about dating another guy because Miguel had considered her feelings and she hadn't considered his. That's what Miguel told himself anyways. Johnny came out of his office and yelled for everyone to get into lines. Everyone, now dressed in white gis of their own, got into their places and waited for instructions.

"Bow. Fighting positions," Johnny instructed. Everyone got into their positions as Johnny walked in between the rows of students, surveying them. Johnny walked over to Hawk and kicked his leg forward. "Stabilize your base, Hawk. Keep your balance. Full rotation when you strike," Johnny explained, showing him what he meant. Hawk nodded and fixed his stance.

"Yes Sensei!" He yelled. Johnny continued down the line and stopped at a kid making him flinch.

"Did you just flinch, Virgin?" Johnny accused. The student kept his eyes forward and didn't answer. Johnny moved to the kid behind him and went at him, making this kid flinch as well. "Holy shit. We got a room full of flinchers," Johnny stated, looking around the room at the students.

"Yes Sensei!" Everyone but Hazel yelled.

"That was not a question! Raise your hand if you've never been punched in the face," Johnny said, walking to the front of the room. Everyone raised their hands except Hazel, Miguel, and Aisha, making Johnny grimace. "Put your hands down. All your lives, you've been avoiding fights so you don't break your nose or lose a tooth. This concussion nonsense. So, there is only one solution, and that is before you leave this dojo, each and every one of you is going to take a punch, very hard, to the face," Johnny stated. Hazel looked at Miguel who was staring at Johnny horrified. "Ms. Robinson," Johnny said turning to Aisha, "Unflinch this group." Aisha nodded and Johnny walked off to his office. Aisha walked over to Virgin and cracked her knuckles, making him gulp. She reared her arm back and shot it forwards, hitting Virgin square in the jaw. Blood spewed from his nose as Hazel ran over to help him clean up.

"Can you take care of everything here? I have to go talk to Sensei," Miguel said to Hazel. She nodded, handing Virgin a tissue while she did.

Miguel walked into Johnny's office and sighed. "Hey Sensei, I need to ask you something," Miguel said carefully.

"First aid's under the counter. We got a bleeder?" Johnny asked, looking up from the magazine he was reading.

"No. We yeah, we do. There's a lot of blood, but this is about something else," Miguel said.

"What is it?"

"Well, there's this girl at school..."

"Is she hot?"

"She's super smart--"

"Hot?"

"Funny and cool."

"Hot?"

"Yes, she's hot. Super hot."

"Nice," Johnny said, a smile spreading across his face.

"I think you'd really like her. She likes karate, and... I wanna ask her out, but I just don't know," Miguel said, his eyes wandering to Hazel who was helping a kid clean off his nose. Tears were streaming down the little boy's face, but Hazel said something and he smiled and laughed a little. Johnny followed his gaze and smirked when he saw Hazel.

"Don't know? What's there to think about? She's hot, and all those other things," Johnny said, getting up from his desk.

"Well, yeah, but what if she says no?" Miguel asked, unsure.

"Never accept defeat, Diaz. There is no 'no.'"

"Pretty sure no means no," Miguel replied.

"Yeah, if things are getting physical, no means no, but if you're just asking her out... you're a Cobra Kai. All the babes wanna date a Cobra Kai!"

"Even if they already are one," Johnny mumbled at the end.

"What?" Miguel asked, not catching Johnny's words.

"Nothing, nothing. Don't worry about it," Johnny dismissed quickly. There was a knock on the office door and both boys turned to see Hazel standing there, a her gi covered in some blood.

"Hey Sensei, we need some more bandages," She said.

"Under the counter," Johnny replied, not fazed by the fact that kids were bleeding in his dojo. Hazel moved to the counter but stopped, tilting her head to the side to see the magazine in Johnny's hand.

"Are we going to enter?" Hazel asked, pointing to the page where an add for a karate tournament was plastered across the paper.

"I don't think we're ready yet," Johnny replied. A loud thud was heard from outside the office and they all turned their heads to see Hawk lying on the floor, wincing in pain.

"He's ok!" Aisha yelled.

"I'm ok. Just my tooth," Hawk said, getting up slowly. Hazel looked back at the two men in the office and they just shrugged before going back to their conversation.

The next day, Hazel was playing with Marley and arguing with Jake and Peter about Robby when she got two texts.

Miguel 🥋💕

I FINALLY ASKED OUT SAM!!!!!!!

Sam🌺💛

Miguel and I are going out tonight. It's not a date, but I kind of want it to be one! I really like him! What should I do!?!?!?!

Hazel felt her heart break into a million pieces as she read the texts. Aisha was wrong. How could Miguel ever like her?

_________________________________________________________

Author's Note!

Ok, not gonna lie, I felt like crying when I wrote this part. Sorry for not updating for a couple of days, but enjoy this long chapter! Please consider voting/commenting!

Also I can't believe I have 600 reads! Thank you so much!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 3.8K 29
New mom... new feelings... new friends... Book 2 of the M.D. series #4 in #migueldiaz
277K 12.7K 30
-πŽππ„π‘π€π“πˆπŽπ π†π‘π€πƒπ”π€π“πˆπŽπ ʳᡒᡇᡇʸ ᡏᡉᡉⁿᡉ "𝙔𝙀π™ͺ π™£π™šπ™šπ™™...
38.5K 763 23
You are a teenager who hates bullies and people who think of themselves as high and mighty. You move to California with your mom and she is strugglin...
1.9K 44 15
Being a young professionally trained figure skater, Flynn Wilder already had enough on her plate. But when Miguel Diaz brings karate creeping back in...