Blind Sided

By SouthernRose94

Callie was kidnapped at the tender age of 9 by hunters who wanted to test a new drug out that was suppose to... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Epilogue

Chapter 1

14.8K 695 46
By SouthernRose94

Settling In

Callie’s POV

The ride from the airport wasn’t a long one. I could tell that the three people in the car with me were nervous, but I wasn’t. When I noticed that we were driving through a familiar neighborhood, I found myself looking for Rose’s and Thane’s house. Both of the houses looked just the same, and I was wondering if they still lived there when we slowly came to a stop in front of a vibrant yellow house with black shutters. I was home. 

As I stepped from the car, the last hour ran through my mind. On the small jet, I pretended to be asleep, and after a while my rescuers started to talk. “Mrs. Malloy was so overjoyed when I called her and told her that we found her daughter.”

“As was I. For once, I’m glad we trusted that hunter.”

“When I saw her behind that dresser, I was shocked at how healthy she looked. I was expecting to find her almost dead and covered in scars.”

“And my brother-in-law said that she hadn’t been touched in any way. Beside the lack of color in her complexion, she’s the picture of health. But what I can’t understand is why they didn’t kill her right after they kidnapped her. That’s what others do to pups.”

“Do you think they tried…”

“They could have, but why go the all that trouble? Hunters hate us with a passion.”

“If they tried killing her wolf, the next few months will prove vital. We’ll have to keep a close eye on her to be sure. They didn’t give her liquid wolfs-bane, of that we’re positive. But they could have administrated it to her in another form: power mixed into her food or as a pill. Both would have to been given at least four times a day to be effective.” At that, my mind went into overdrive. One of them ‘woke’ me up just seconds after the plane landed.

Now as I stared at my childhood home, I wasn’t sure of anything. Suddenly the screen door flew open and I saw a woman with fiery red hair shoot towards me. It wasn’t until she was just a few feet from me that I recognized her. My mother threw her arms around me and held me tightly. “You’re home. My baby’s home.” She kept repeating over and over. My arms hung at my side as I stood there. I wanted to hug her back just as tightly as she was hugging me, but I couldn’t bring myself to raise my arms around her.

By the time she steered me into the living room, she was talking about Thane and Rose. I had been zoning out, but at the mention of their names, I came back to reality. “Last year Thane took over his father’s company. I heard that he’s done rather well by himself so far. Oh, and you should see Rose now. That girl’s a looker. And she has Thane wrapped around her little pinky finger. Her mother just told me yesterday that he proposed to her, but they’re not waiting for a long engagement. Their wedding’s in two weeks.”

At that announcement, my heart felt like it was breaking but I couldn’t explain why. I admit that I had a small crush on Thane when I first moved here. But now, it was nothing but a memory for me. Feeling a hand on my shoulder, I look up at my mom. “When I got the call that you were coming home, I redid your room. You remember the way to it right?” Nodding slowly, I stand up and walk to my room. Opening the door slowly, I take my time to look around it.

The bright blue walls were gone, replaced with black paint and gold trim. On one wall stood a seven foot bookcase filled to the brim of reading material. Beside it stood a cedar desk and a rolling chair; sitting on the left corner of the desk was a laptop and printer. Directly across from my desk was a king size bed and a small night stand. My eyes drift to the floor. My hot pink carpet had been replaced by red oak floorboards. But all in all, I liked the changes my mom made.

Throwing the closet open, I saw that my mom had stocked it with everything a girl could ask for. Shaking my head slowly, I close the door and walk to my bed. Lying down, I close my eyes and listen to the silence. I could make out my mom in the kitchen talking on the phone. Her hushed voice made me curious so I slipped quietly out of my room and down the hall. Staying hidden behind the wall, I listen to her conversation.

“Hello Sir, it’s a pleasure to hear from you… Yes, she’s home. They brought her just a few minutes ago. She’s in her room right now, just looking around… I’m sure she’d love to see you and Rose again, Sir. But, I must warn you, my daughter doesn’t know anything about us…I was waiting for her tenth birthday to tell her about what she was…It wasn’t your fault Thane. There was nothing you could do.” She sighs softly and I glance around the edge to check on her.

She was leaning against the counter looking out the window. “Why don’t you and Rose come for dinner? It’ll just be me and Callie… I think it’ll do her some good to see both of her old friends again. She hasn’t spoken a word to anyone. One of the rescuers told me that he was with her for the entire time on the way back and she didn’t speak then either…That sounds fine Sir. We’ll see you then.” She hangs up and I power walk back to my room.

I managed to lie on my bed and close my eyes before Mom opened my door. “Callie sweetheart, are you asleep?” Sitting up, I shake my head no. “We have company for dinner tonight; Thane and Rose. They’re looking forward to seeing you. That boy still blames himself for not being able to save you that day Callie.” I shrug my shoulders and open my lips. “Non avrebbe potuto fermare loro mamma. Erano professionisti e forte di un bambino di dieci anni. (He couldn't have stopped them Mom. They were professionals and stronger than a ten year old boy.)”

My mom looked at me confused. “What did you say?” I repeat what I said, but in English. My voice was saturated with an Italian accent. She laid her hand softly on my cheek. “Oh my baby, what did they do to you?” She made a tsking sound and made her way out of my room. “Dinner will be ready in a few hours. Why don’t you freshen up a bit? I’ll let you know when they get here.”

After she left, I stared at the bathroom door for several long minutes before slowly opening it. Standing in front of the mirror, I stare at my reflection. My eyes were a deep violet color with thick, long black eyelashes. My lips were red and full, which the pale color of my skin made them pop out even more. I found myself slowly burying a hand into my hair. The color, a deep red, fascinated me. It was curly, very thick and hung down to my waist. I brought my attention back to my eyes and something hit me. I realized that my eyes didn’t hold a sparkle in them like everyone else I had seen since I was rescued. My eyes looked dull and flat, almost lifeless.

For a brief moment, I wondered if the disease I had been born with that would mess my life up when I turned twenty had been cured. Shrugging my shoulders, I quickly brush my hair and braid it. Giving myself a once over, I leave my room and slowly make my way to the kitchen. Just as I reached the living room, a picture caught my eye and I found my feet walking closer to it without my consent.

It was my mom standing in the arms of a man in front of the setting sun on a beach. She was wearing a white dress and the man had on a bowtie and a white shirt. My eyes snap to the kitchen where I find her standing in front of the sink humming. I quickly find her left hand. There, on her ring finger, laid a shiny, golden band. My heart sank at the sight of it.

“When did you get married?” The question spilled from my lips, shattering the silence of the house. Without looking up at me, she answered me. “Two years after you were kidnapped, your father filed for a divorce. A year later I met Trent and we married a year after we started dating. He’s at work right now, but you’ll get to meet him tonight.”

“What does he do?”

“Oh, he keeps the books for...” Suddenly, I heard the front door open and several different voices filled the air. A smile split my mom’s face as she hurried down the hall. I sat down on the couch and waited. As the minutes passed, I would catch my name being said every now and then. Sighing softly, I lean my head back and let my eyes drift shut. My breathing and heart rate slowed as if I had fallen asleep just as my mom walked back into the room. I could tell that she had three other people with her, but when she saw that I was asleep, she told them to go ahead and sit at the table.

“Is she alright Mrs. Garvin?” Rose asked from the dining room. My mom placed a light blanket on me before making her way to the table. “She’s fine Rose. The excitement and everything must have worn her out.”

“Thane, I can never thank you enough for not giving up on her.” There was a few seconds of silence before he spoke. “She was my best friend Ms. G. I couldn’t let her stay with those hunters knowing that they would be trying to kill her wolf and possible her as well. There were times that I felt like giving up, but Rose here kept pushing me on.” I knew he kissed her and for some odd reason that made me feel mad, hurt and like my heart was slowly starting to break.

I waited until they were just about finished with their supper before I started to slowly move around. Finally, I stretch and open my eyes to find them staring at me. “Mi dispiace per addormentarsi e dispersi cena mamma. (I'm sorry for falling asleep and missing dinner Mom.)” I say softly, keeping my eyes glued on my mother. She looked so lost and confused, but before I could repeat myself in English, Thane spoke up. “Capisce Callie, facciamo tutti. Siamo solo contento di averti a casa. (She understands Callie, we all do. We're just glad to have you back home.)”

My eyes snap towards him on their own accord, but the second before mine would have met his, I managed to look away. The stirring in my mind grew a little stronger, giving me a slight headache. Slowly rubbing my temple, I wait a few seconds before it passes. “Are you alright Callie?”

“Si ma…I’m fine Mom. It’s just a small headache, nothing to get worried about. I used to have them all the time.” I was reaching for the blanket to fold it up so I missed the startled looks between the four at the table. All four of them were soon standing around me, though Rose stood behind the rest looking a little out of place. I smile at her but she just looked away. “What do you mean you used to have them all the time?” Thane asked me, his voice sounding a little hard.

“The headaches started a year, maybe two, after I was kidnapped. But they stopped almost a year ago. The men said that it was just a side effect of the medicine they were giving me to help cure my disease.” Silence met my words and I looked around, not sure of what was going on. I looked from face to face only to find a blank look and their eyes glazed over. I was just about to start worrying when my mom turned and hugged me.

We spent the next few hours talking. Well, truth be told, they talked and laughed and I just sat there listening and feeling so out of place. A little part of me actually missed the guys and the basement, but I knew I could never go back, this was my life now. The conversation sort of faded to the background as I let my thoughts fly. “…We should be leaving Ms. G, but thank you for having us over. When Callie gets used to being back, the three of you should come over for dinner.” Looking out of the corner of my eye, I watch as Rose and Thane stand up and start walking toward the door.

“I will clean the kitchen, Mom. The two of you can go for a walk or something.”

“You sure sweetie?” I nod once and wait until both of them slip out the back door. Stepping into the dining room/kitchen, I started clearing the table. I put the scrapes into a large bowl and set it aside. Making sure to put the dishes in hot soapy water, I start to put the left over’s in the fridge. So lost in my own little world, I didn’t hear Thane call my name.

Thane’s POV

My day started out normal. But two hours after I woke up, everything changed. I was sitting in my office thinking about my future and if I would ever meet my mate. My father was pressuring me into marking and mating with Rose, just so the pack would have a Luna. I loved Rose and even proposed to her three months, but I still couldn’t help but feel like something was missing.

I had just stepped into my office when the phone rang. It was my beta telling me that the lead had been a success. They were bringing Callie home. I linked with Rose. They found her Rose!

Found who?

Callie, they found her. She’ll be home soon.

That’s great honey. I can’t wait to see her again.  If it hadn’t been for Rose, I would have never been the same after Callie was kidnapped. Rose kept me fighting. Our wedding was in two weeks, and I couldn’t wait. Even though I knew that once I marked Rose, my mate would die. That is if she knew we were mates.

Not too long after Callie was delivered to her mother, when I decided to call and she how both of them were doing. Due to her nature, Mrs. G invited Rose and I to dinner and I accepted. What can I say; the woman was the best cook in the whole pack!

When we arrived, Callie was asleep on the couch. I couldn’t describe the disappoint that ran through me. It wasn’t until after dinner that she started stirring. When she spoke, it was like music to my ears, which left me feeling rather confused. It sadden me as I watch her look my way but stopped herself from looking me in the eyes.

She started rubbing her head and Mrs. G asked her if she was feeling ok. Callie just replied that it was a headache and she got them all the time. Our suspicions were confirmed. The hunters did take her to kill her wolf. But if they managed to kill her wolf, why is she still having the headaches?

I’m not sure Mrs. G. I’ll send the pack doctor over in the morning and let him look her over. There are a few tests he can run that will let him know if her wolf is killed or if it’s been suppressed.

I don’t know which one is worse.

Both are unthinkable Rose. 

I agree Mrs. G. I feel so sorry for her; to have lost something as precious as your wolf before she even knew about it.

What gets me is that they convinced her that they were trying to “cure” her of a “disease”. I’m glad those men paid for what they did to her. Rose and I stayed for several more hours talking and laughing, but I could tell that Callie was uncomfortable. As I started walking towards the door, I remembered the friendship bracelet that she had given me the day she was kidnapped.

“Rose, wait in the car, I’ll be right back.” I say quickly heading back into the house. I find Callie in the kitchen and call her name, but she didn’t hear me. I tap her shoulder and she let out a startled scream. “I didn’t mean to startle you Callie. I just wish to give this to you.” I say as I hold the bracelet out towards her. Her eyes came no higher than the pocket on my shirt.

At first I thought she wouldn’t speak, but I watched as her lips started moving. “Thank you. I thought I lost it that day.” But she didn’t reach for it. I lay it on the counter behind her and just stare at her. “Are you alright Callie? You seem so withdrawn.”

She shrugs and stars to fiddle with her fingers. “It’ll just take some time to readjust that’s all. I’ve been held captive for years in a basement by people I didn’t know, wondering if I’d ever get to see my family again.”

“How’d you learn to speak Italian?”

“They taught me a lot. I’m in college level material and can speak fluent Italian.” She almost sounded proud of the fact, but I couldn’t tell. The old Callie would have been so happy that she could speak another language that it would take everyone in two cities to hold her down. I smile at her and I hear a horn honking.

“Well I guess I better get Rose back home. She doesn’t like being out to late.”

“I hear congratulations are in order.” Her voice sounded pained and my heart squeezed a little at the thought of admitting to my upcoming marriage with Rose. “Yes. I’m marrying Rose in two weeks. I have to go. It’s good to have you home Callie.” With that, I walk back out to the car. And to an upset Rose.

After dropping her off at her house, I slowly drive back to the pack house. My parents were still up, but I didn’t feel like talking to them so I just headed straight to my room. After taking a shower, I climb beneath my sheets and feel asleep. But instead of dreaming about Rose and our life together, that night I dreamt about Callie. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 42.3K 59
"Let me go, you sick, twisted, bastard!" I seethed through gritted teeth. I felt an uncontrollable amount of fear rake over my body. I soon began to...
32.6K 300 126
What happens when 16 year old Callie Lord runs from her 4 brothers and gets kidnapped? The death of her parents was a shock to them all.her eldest br...
490 34 32
Ripped away from the one person who ever truly cared about her, Katherine soon discovers how cruel the world could be. Katherine thought the idea of...
222 12 53
Maddie Smith only ever wished for a normal life. However, everything soon changed when Rhydian Morris entered her life. What will happen next? Will M...