What He Doesn't Know {Complet...

By TheRiverRunsDeep

Allison Snow was ten years younger than Colton Pierce but that didn’t affect their tight bond. That was until... More

Need You Now
Leave the Pieces
Don't You Remember
We Can't Stop
Cups
Run, Baby, Run
Wrecking Ball
Shut Up and Let Me Go
My Life Would Suck Without You
Liar
Trust
Seventy Times 7
The Monster
Author's Note
Semi-Automatic
Animal I Have Become
Love The Way You Lie
Breath
MakeDamnSure
Half of My Heart
Animal
Airplanes
Hot 'n Cold
The Great Escape
U + Ur Hand
Beggin For Thread
Hey Brother
Closer
Ugly On The Inside
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
Gives You Hell
Secrets
Diary
Sweet and Low
Thinking Out Loud
I Know You
I Put A Spell On You
Can't You See
Paris
Smile
Lock Me Up
Please Don't Go
If I Die Young
Sloppy Seconds
This is Gospel
Hard to Love
Epilogue: At Last

Sugar

44.6K 1.4K 138
By TheRiverRunsDeep

 WARNING:

(1) This chapter changes points of view half way to Colton and then back to Alice, watch out!

 and

(2) I didn't edit this ... so it is TOTALLY unedited

***

"I'm hurting, baby, I'm broken down
I need your loving, loving
I need it now
When I'm without you
I'm something weak
You got me begging, begging
I'm on my knees..."

- Maroon 5 "Sugar"

***

“I don’t even want to know how you knew my size,” I stated as I walked out of Chey’s bathroom.

She made it clear that I was to get ready at her house once I told her I just planned to get ready in the office bathroom because it would be easier and more convenient, seeing as the restaurant was only a few blocks from the office. Chey wouldn’t hear it, though, and demanded that I follow her in my car to her house. Little did she know the real reason I didn’t want to go back ‘home’ to Garrett’s house is because I wanted to stay away from there for a while as I collect my thoughts about last night’s encounter. Gosh knows I didn’t want to have another run with the man from last night, especially if Garrett wasn’t going to be there. Not that I couldn’t take that man, don’t get me wrong because if push comes to shove I will go Mortal Kombat X on his ass, however I just felt a certain comfort having someone else there.

“I have my ways,” Chey said and then eyed me up and down with a wide smile. “I also have excellent taste if I do say so myself.”

 I rolled my eyes as I strolled back in the bathroom and look at myself in her full length mirror.

Chey had taken it upon herself to curly my honey blonde hair. She then proceeded to apply a light shade of pink eye shadow, black mascara and some eyeliner. However, what drew attention to my face was the dangling, silver stand, earrings that she let me borrow. 

As for the dress, Chey really did go all out. It was white lace sheath dress that reached the top of my knees. She’d paired the dress with silver strappy caged high heels.

 "What do you think?” Chey question a she peered over my shoulder and glanced at me in the mirror.

I smiled and turned around, “As cliché as it might sound, I don’t recognize myself ... However, why are you trying so hard? This is a fake date, for gosh knows what reason. There is no need for the make-up, dress, shoes, and,” I reached over at the sink and picked up the light grey clutch purse she handed me earlier, “purse.”

Chey gave me a wide grin, “Chill, Girlie. This might be a fake date but that doesn’t mean Rafe isn’t a great guy ... Who knows you, might end up liking him.”

“He is pretending to be Chad the whole night. To like someone I have to know them, not the fake persona they give me.” I exhaled loudly, “I think this is making it more than it is...”

“Well, I do hope that this night doesn’t go the way you planned.”

 “What would change?”

Chey looked at me with the same look she gave me earlier today, hinting that something was going on that I didn’t know about. “Nothing ... I just have a suspicion.” 

“About?”

“Well, jealousy does things to people...”

“Jealousy?” I inquired as I raised an eyebrow. She was making no sense at all.

Chey chuckled, “Nothing, nothing. Now, lets get you to Catch 180. Your date starts in 30 minutes." 

I let what she said go because it made absolutely no sense. I followed Chey out of the bathroom, hall and eventually house. She walked me to my car and smiled widely. “You have the address?”

“Yes, you programmed it in my phone while I was getting dressed.” 

“Right. Well, do you have your phone?”

I opened the clutch purse and pulled it out. “Right here.” 

“Good, now have fun and please - for the love of roller skating and ice cream - use the love glove.” She exclaimed as she wiggled her eyebrows. “I would like to be an Auntie Chey but not in this time of my life.” 

I went wide eyed at her mere suggestion, “Chey! I am not going to have sex with your cousin! This is not even a real date!”

She laughed before shooing me off and telling me that she was joking. 

I rolled my eyes at her and got in the car. As I plugged up my phone to the car with the AUX cord, so the GPS could give me directions through the speakers, I wondered if Rafe would really pretend to be Chad Finn all night. I have to admit it would bother me. I kinda just want him to be real - himself. However, I don’t even know the dude. I might end up liking Chad Finn more.

*Colton’s P.O.V* 

“The boss wants to talk to her.”

I looked up to see Tony standing in front of my desk with his arms by his side and an intent look that showed he was dead serious.

“Why?” I asked, utterly confused as to where this all was coming from. What had made Mr. Hayes want to bring Alice in all this? Did I not drive in the message I wanted her out of all this? She has no place talking to him, it would only bring trouble.

Tony sat down at one of the seats by my desk and shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know why, he never stated. However, I presume it is because she lives at Garrett’s house and he wants dirt on that bastard.”

“What if Garrett finds out she told Mr. Hayes info on him? She will be killed in a blink of an eye.”

Tony looked as if he didn’t give two fucks to Sunday with what happened to Alice. “He doesn’t care, Colton. He wants to take down as many people as he can in this business before we capture Mich, wherever the hell that sucker is.”

“Alice will not be a pawn in this.”

“Will? Are you stupid? Do you think he wanted you to trade her off to Garrett for shits and giggles? There is a reason behind everything he does. You should have already pieced that together and if you haven’t you are naive.”

I sat back, “He wanted her gone because she is a distraction.”

“If that was true he would have demanded that she not work here. She would have been on the first bus back home. She is at his house for a reason and that is to collect dirt on Garrett. She just doesn’t know that yet and Mr. Hayes wants to clue her in, I presume. So, when is she free to speak to him?”

“Never. I will not allow her to get anymore into this then I. Tell Mr. Hayes she is not part of his equation to take down drug lords.”

“He won’t like that,” Tony replied as he stood up, knowing I wasn’t going to budge on this topic.

“Well, he can shove it.” I stated and then turned to focus on my paperwork, hoping he’d leave before I snapped.

Tony sighed before exiting my office.

The second he closed the door behind him, I looked away from my work and wondered what the hell I had done. I had dragged her into this and she was never going to be able to get out - until I find Mich.

My hand clenched into a fist, I had to find that bastard as soon as possible. I had to for Alice; she doesn’t deserve nor need this life.

Think about her, I was reminded of the date she was more than likely getting ready for. Something inside of me turned at the mere thought. Anger started to course through my veins.

She didn’t need to date. I could make her happy and just the thought of another man making her smile, laugh and happy made me upset. They didn’t have history with her, I did. They were nothing compared to me. She’d never be able to find someone that understands her through and through like me. She was fooling herself.

My phone rang and I jumped out of my thoughts. Reaching over, I picked the phone off the receiver. “Hello?" 

“What the hell are you still doing at the office?!” A voice asked in a panic tone.

“Chey?” I questioned.

“Duh!"

“I find your words highly inappropriate and unprofessional.”

 Chey exhaled, “I find you to be dense but you don’t see me pointing that out.”

 “Dense?” I inquired, not seeing how I could be.

“I just sent Alice off to Catch 180 for her date. It will take her about thirty minutes to get there. However, this place is literally a few blocks from the office and I forgot to tell her that Chad will not be showing up. So, she will go there and be stood up ... Poor girl, she liked Chad.”

“Why are you telling me this?! Why don’t you call her and tell her this?! As a friend you should warn her before she is stood up! She will be heartbroken! How dare you do this to her!”

Chey chuckled on the other end, “Her phone, somehow got on Do Not Disturb mode, meaning she won’t get any calls. So, someone is going to have to meet her there in order to tell her Chad is not coming. I would do it but ... Well, I got plans.”

“I can’t believe you did this to her. You’re fired.”

“I can accept that. See you Monday!” With that she hung up.

*Allison's P.O.V*

The ride to the restaurant was long and the whole time I contemplated on the night before me. I was realizing that going to this date was a stupid idea. When I finally reached the place, I was tempted just drive away and go back to Garrett’s. However, Chey texted me a good luck text and I felt, like in a sense, I owed her to go on this fake date.

When I walked in I, immediately, got the vibe that it was a very upscale place.

“Are you Ms. Snow?”

I looked over at a woman that was standing behind a lectern. She smiled at me as she awaited my reply. However, I was slightly caught off guard that she knew my name, making me not reply right of the bat. “...Y-yeah.”

“Your table is right this way.” She grabbed a menu and led me to a table.

I thanked her and sat down once we got to the table.

“No problem, Miss. The reservations say you have one more person coming in. Would you like me to ask your waiter to wait for the person before ordering your drink or do you want to order a drink now?’

“I’ll wait,” I answered with a small smile.

“No problem, your waiter will be with you momentarily after your dinner date gets here.” With that the woman walked away.

The first thing I noticed, after being left alone, was the fact that the table was clothed with white linen. In the center of the table, there was a cream colored candle and a salt and pepper grinder. My silverware was already placed out and my napkin was folded, beautifully I might add, in an empty wine glass.

My eyes flickered up to see that the ceilings consisted of wood beams. The walls were a dark chocolate brown, decorated with large, colorful, canvas paintings. As for the floor, they were hardwood and looked as if someone had just polished them.

I looked around and noted a few more things before my phone started to ring. I reached over for my purse and quickly got my phone out before it went to voicemail.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Alice. You at the restaurant?”

I raised an eyebrow as to why Colton was calling me, “Yes, why?”

“I was just making sure you got there for your date. Has he showed up yet?”

“I wouldn’t answer your call if he was here.”

Colton gave a low chuckle, “Well, just keep a few things in mind. Don’t laugh too much because when you do you snort. While some might find that cute, you are attempting to make a good impression on him. But, do laugh in some form at any of the jokes he throws at you. Guys like to think they are funny.

“You have a nasty habit of fiddling when you are nervous - don’t fiddle,” he continued. “Make as much eye contact as you can. Try not to let the table fall silent. You and I know that a moment in silence would get your mind racing and you will get nervous - which as stated before: nervous Alice equals fiddling Alice-”

“Why are you telling me all this?”

The line went silent and I removed my phone from my ear to check if he was still there. However, once I did I saw that the call had dropped.

I was dialing his number back when a voice stopped me, “I told you that because you’d mess this night up.”

I glanced up to see Colton walking over to my table. I furrowed my eyebrows, “What are you doing here? Chad is going to-”

“Chad is not coming.”

My eyes narrowed, “What did you do?”

Colton smiled, “I did nothing.” Sitting down, across from me, Cole spoke, “This is a really nice restaurant. Chey has good taste.”

I nodded, “It is nice...” I stood up, “Well ... I guess I will see you at work Monday...”

“Where are you going?”

“My date was canceled, obviously. So, I am going back to Garrett’s house and find another way to spend my Friday night. This is probably going to entail Netflix and popcorn, to be honest.”

“Don’t go. Have dinner with me ... I promise I will be more entertaining than Netflix.”

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, “I don’t think you can be more entertaining than reruns of Scandal or Friends ... Plus ... I don’t ... I can’t ... have dinner with you.”

Colton looked at me blankly for a minute before replying, “I thought you had your heart set on a date tonight.”

“I did.”

“Well, have dinner with me.”

“Are you implying that you want me to go on a date with you - right now?”

Colton didn’t reply, instead he locked eyes with me and didn’t waiver.

Something inside of me cracked and I laughed, “Are you kidding me?! Cole, you are my semi-friend, semi-father-figure, and boss. A date - with you ... That would be awko-taco.”

“Sit down, Alice,” Colton demanded in the voice that left no room for argument.

I sobered up from my laughing and stood still. “Cole-”

“Sit.”

I found myself not arguing and sitting down. “Do you know the definition of a date?”

“Two people hanging out and the guy pays.” He stated clearly.

“Yes, it is two people hanging out but for the simple fact that they are trying to get to know each other with the prospects of dating and then marriage.”

“Great! We can skip that awkward getting to know each other phase.”

I was stunned, “where the hell is this coming from?”

“What do you mean?”

“I - I-”

“Hello, I am Rob. I am your waiter today. Can I start you two off with something to drink?” The waiter asked as he stood by our table.

“Glass of wine. Please. Red - Merlot if you have it.” I stated and pulled out my fake I.D. from my purse.

“Alice you are not-”

I looked at him with a stern look, “We are about to have a talk that I never saw coming. I am having alcohol. Stop me and I leave.”

“She will have a Cabernet Sauvignon, not Merlot,” He told the waiter without hesitation after I spoke.

“What about you, Sir? “ The waiter asked after looking at my I.D.

“The same,” Colton replied as he looked at me.

“Make it a bottle,” I stated without averting my gaze from Colton.

Rob walked away after saying he would be right back.

Silence cloaked the table and I was unsure what to say to Colton. I didn’t know what he was classifying this dinner as and part of me was scared to ask. However, I needed to clear the air.

“You are overthinking this, Alice,” Colton said.

“Overthinking?”

“I can see the wheels moving in your mind. You are confused - so let me clarify. We are two people, which have known each other for years, at a restaurant, about to eat dinner, talk and have a good time in each other’s company.”

My mind didn’t stop running. His words only made me even more befuddled. “As friends?”

Colton didn’t reply, instead he grabbed the napkin from the wine glass and placed it in his lap. “You should put the napkin in your lap, so he has a glass to pour your wine in.”

I did what he said; not liking that he ignored my question. “You could have left me here. The old Cole would have left me here to learn some lesson about not dating. He would have let me have gotten heartbroken and came around, later, to say ‘I told you so’.”

“I don’t think I would have left you here, to get stood up. However, I would have probably come here to tell you he was not coming and then rubbed in the ‘I told you so’.” He joked with a mischievous grin.

“... Why did you - even still - not want me to date? What is so bad about it? I mean, I’ve dated people in the two years we have not been friends and I never saw what you were ‘protecting’ me from. After dating all your arguments you gave me growing up are invalid and absorbed. So, why?”

Cole was silent. “I ... I just wanted to protect you.”

“From? The heartbreak? Well, let me tell you I have been through it a few times. It’s horrible but at the same time it’s all in the game.”

“The game?”

“Yes, love and dating is like a game. You lose many and that makes you feel bad about yourself and your skills in the dating world. However, you keep playing, you keep letting yourself suppress the bad games with the hope that the game your playing tonight will be the winner. I like to think everyone dreams of the game in which they will ‘win’.”

“By winning, you...”

“Find your soul mate, the one you are meant to be with forever. The person that can make you laugh with a single word, smile just by looking at them ... make your heart flutter at just the thought of their name..."

“Alice, that is absolutely delusional.”

I shrugged my shoulders, “You - you just haven’t found her yet,” I stated and winced slightly at the end as I felt as if my heart was being stabbed with each word I said. I laid my right hand over my chest not knowing why the hell I suddenly felt sad.

“Maybe, I have ... But I don't know...”

My eyes glanced up, as my right slipped into my lap. “Maybe?”

He gulped, “Like I said, I - I don’t know...”

I laughed, “How do you not know if you found the one?”

“Because I don’t believe in love, Alice. I mean, I believe in loving family and friends ... but intimacy love ... I don’t believe in it...”

I never knew this about him, which made me raise an eyebrow and smile at the fact that I was learning something about him. “Really?"

“Yeah...”

“Wow.”

“Yep...” Colton said, popping the ‘p’.

The waiter rushed over to us, “Sorry for taking so long there was an incident in the kitchen. No worries though, here is the wine.” He poured a little in Colton’s glass.

Colton picked it up, swirled the maroon liquid in his glass before taking a sip. After a second, Cole nodded, “That will do.”

Rob nodded and poured more in Colton’s glass and then poured some in mine. “Are you two ready to order?”

I shook my head, “Can we have some more time? We haven’t even looked at our menus, to be honest.”

Our waiter nodded, “Of course. I’ll be back in a few minutes for your order.”

Once he was gone, I grabbed the menu that was placed on the edge of the table.

Cole grabbed his too and looked at it.

The table was blanketed in silence, which gave me a minute to think everything through. As I did so my hands began to mess with the edge of the menu.

“You are fiddling,” Colton stated as he looked at the menu.

The fact that he knew I was didn’t surprise me. “..You will find her,” I proclaimed with words that tasted like acid in my mouth. Sitting down my menu, I continued with a fake smile, “She will change your world ... make you happy, smile and when you wake up she will be the first thing you think about and when you go to bed she will be the last.”

“I should've never let you read those teen romance novels growing up.”

I laughed, “Says the one that had to read the books before me to ‘make sure they were appropriate’. Secretly, we know that you liked them. Speaking of that and this, I think you are bluffing. Part of you believes in love.”

“I really did have to make sure they were appropriate! Some of those stories you wanted to read were targeted at an older audience.”

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever you say but I love how you clearly ignored how I said ‘I think you are bluffing’.”

Colton placed his menu back where he got it, “Think what you will, Alice.”

“I will,” with that I focused back on the menu.

“You won’t find anything you want on that menu,” Colton stated.

I looked over at him, “huh?”

“This is a modern style French restaurant. You hate French food.”

I was dumbfounded, “The fact that you remember that.”

Colton smiled, “I grew up with you. We haven’t spoken in two years not twenty. I remember a lot of things. Like how you told me when you were nine that you were allergic to fancy restaurants. I’m surprised you haven’t broken out in hives yet.

My cheeks grew red with embarrassment, “I was nine! You can’t throw that saying back in my face.”

“Wait, be still!” Colton said as he leaned over the table. His finger touch the side of my face, bring a shocking jolt through my system and a tingling feeling in my lower back. “You are breaking out in hives! We better leave!” He said as he got up and pulled his wallet out of his back pocket.

I watched as he threw a hundred dollar bill on the table. “We better hurry before you throat closes up."

I chuckled and stood up, “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.”

***

A/N:

I don't know why but I wasn't feeling this chapter ... honestly I think it was because I was stood up (-.-) last week and it was kinda hard to write this. *sigh* But we gotta move on.

It's time to announce that if my calculations are correct (and they aren't always) there are about about 11 more chapters of this story left!! Whoot! WHOOT!

Please:

Vote

Comment

and SMILE because more wishes will be granted in the next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241K 16.5K 69
Graduation is right around the corner for Ada Sinclair. She's spent all of high school saving up for her dream college and skipped high school tradit...
198 0 11
Allison Billson and Jayden Holden were best friends growing up. That was until Jayden was told he was moving because his mother got a job offer. The...
100K 4K 39
"It's too complicated. I'm just too...fragile. I can't be with you." "Fragile, my ass. You just don't want to take the chance of letting someone in...
411K 17.6K 75
The corner of his mouth tilts upward slightly. I smile again. A smile!? A tiny one, but still. "Hm. So I got you to smile, that's progress, yeah? Can...