Zara

By moon_cursed

○°●°☆•°~ She turned around after cursing her life out and froze. If a soul ever left a body without dying, it... More

a/n and characters
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33

chapter 18

18.9K 720 384
By moon_cursed

"WHO ARE YOU and what have you done to Salvatore?"

Sal blinked, momentarily surprised, before looking up from his phone and gazing at his little sister who was stood there with her hands on her waist while her pet rested on her shoulder.

"What do you mean?" He questioned, confused.

"You are not wearing a suit. Or a formal shirt. How?" She questioned and moved to sit beside Dele who was sitting beside him.

Dele moved at the last second, opening the space between Sal and him. Rest all the spaces were occupied so she passed him a short glare, huffed, and sat down.

Sal looked down at his casual yet classy t-shirt and sweatpants. He shook his head in amusement. She was such an exaggerator.

"You know, I don't wear a suit twenty four-seven."

"Only eighteen hours per day." Tino quipped and a light chuckle rang out.

"Really? I thought you even slept in a suit. Guess I was wrong." She hummed jokingly.

Sal's lips twitched but he barely shook his head again and focused on the screen, waiting to see what movie they would watch tonight.

"Okay," Raph clapped his hands, gaining everyone's attention,"I am thinking of putting on a horror movie. Its been a while since we have watched one."

"No!" Was the immediate reply of Ben and Zara.

Horror movies were something she despised. Even after living alone for a couple years, she was still scared shitless of those movies. Those were something she could never digest.

They all smirked in amusement. Dele lightly patted her head,"Don't worry, cara. We'll protect you."

Tino cooed in the background and she shot him a glare. He immediately stopped.

"I am not scared. But Nugget is. He hates watching them." She defended, pulling the little bundle more securely into her abdomen. He happily rolled up more, enjoying the warmth.

"Sure." Raph drawled, not believing her for a second. Asshole.

"We are not watching horror movie. And thats final." Ben stated finally, ignoring the teasing Sil and Tino were providing him with.

"I second that." She stated and pointed at Ben.

"Sorry. Not negotiable. We are watching that." Raph said, not sounding a bit sorry.

"Well then I am outta here." She began to stand up but Sal pulled her back down.

"No leaving until the movie is completed. Don't worry, its just a movie." He assured.

She glared at the floor. She couldn't leave. She didn't want to watch. And she could no way in hell sleep when there was a horror movie going on. She didn't have an option anymore.

She glared at the screen now and crossed her arms. This was going to be a long night.

~

"That was fricking amazing." Tino stated with a satisfied smile as the end credits rolled up. He was sprawled on the floor with an empty popcorn bowl resting on his abdomen while flashes of the recent movie still floated through his brain.

On the other hand Zara was wrapped around Dele's arm, her strong hold paining Dele but he did not protest. He had let the girl hold his hand throughout the whole movie, not complaining even when he felt that it would possibly break.

She still stared at the screen with wide eyes, horrified by how the movie had turned out. She knew watching that movie was a bad idea. She could kiss her sleep goodbye. Nugget, who was hiding in her pocket, seemed to have similar reaction.

"Well, wasn't that fun?" Sil questioned, nudging his twin who was hiding behind a large cushion, his eyes closed as if to erase all the horrible images they witnessed. Zara didn't blame him.

"It certainly was. Such an amzing movie demands some sweets." Raph commented and patted his stomach, enjoying his siblings' scared reactions.

"Zara made some cookie sandwiches. We can have them?" Leo suggested with a smile.

"Yes please! Dele, please get us those sandwiches." Tino said, a dreamy look on his face.

"Its in the fridge?" Dele questioned, getting a nod from Leo. He was beginning to stand up but Zara pulled him back down, not loosening her hold.

"No way! You are not going anywhere. What if someone attacks you in the dark kitchen?" She shook her head with wide eyes.

Dele smiled and patted her head softly,"Nothing will happen. Don't worry."

"No! Even if you are safe, what if the ghost attacks me? You are giving it an open chance by leaving!" She exclaimed and laughs rang around the room. She wasn't fazed. It was the truth.

"No one will attack you. You have all your brothers here." He tried.

"What will they do if the ghost decides to possess my body? Bullets don't work on them. Do you know exorcism, huh?" She challenged.

"Zara.. ghosts aren't real."

"Easy for you to say. I just watched a spirit possess a doll and kill people. You can't expect me to believe this!"

"It was not true."

"The words 'based on a true story' were literally the first ones on the screen!"

He ran a hand through his hair,"How about this? You clutch Sal's hand until I return. I think we can agree that even ghosts are scared of him." He compromised.

Tino muttered something along the lines of 'even satan would be cautious of him' but he was ignored.

Zara stared at him for a second longer before hesitantly nodding. She let go of his arm and he felt blood rush more freely into the limb. That was a painful two hours.

She watched him go and yelled after him,"Stay safe!" The kitchen was on the other side of the house after all. Giant manor things.

She turned to Sal and without warning clutched his arm, though not as tight as Dele's. She was cautious of something creeping out from behind her so she kept looking around the room, making sure they were all safe. She wouldn't let some dead being take or possess her brothers.

Sal watched her with an amused smile,"No one is there. Why are you so scared?"

She narrowed her eyes at him,"As someone who is scared shitless of dolls, that movie was not something that really helped." Living in a manor didn't help. You would never know what lurks in the shadows.

What if they had some secret forbidden room filled with souls of those tortured? Oh fuck this was not helping.

"Oh lighten up, Z. It was just a movie." Tino commented and nudged her knee with his foot.

She glared at him,"Just you wait. If a ghost comes after me tonight I am telling them to go and haunt you. Then you'll know."

He snorted,"You would be too scared to hold a conversation with him."

"Then I'll write my demand. Just you wait."

"Oh, come on. You love me too much to do that." He pouted.

"Who gave you this pathet-"

"BOO!"

A scream left her lips and she jumped, closing her eyes in utter terror. Her hold on Sal's arm became painfully brutal and he hissed. She didn't pay it any mind.

For a second, her heart stopped. And then raced twice of what is considered normal. She was dead. She knew it. If only she had learned some prayers to fend off this ghost. But no, she just had to become an atheist at eleven. Now she was so dead.

Shit shit shit.

Laughter, loud obnoxious laughter was what made her open her eyes to find all her brothers laughing their hearts out- even Ben who had momentarily forgotten his fear. Deep chuckles rang from her side and she knew that even Sal was chuckling.

She whipped around to find Raph standing there, his hands on his knees as he wheezed. His eyes were shut and a tear escaped the close lids. Thats how much he found this situation funny while she almost had a heart attack. Rage filled her.

"You little-"

"Don't curse." Sal.

"-fucker. I am going to kill you. Once I am-"

"Calm down, pumpkin." Leo.

"-done with you, you would regret even agreeing to this movie." She said and lunged at him, letting go of Sal's hand.

Raph's eyes widened even as his mouth failed to keep in his chuckles. He watched as Zara landed on him, making them both topple back. She punched his stomach with as much strength as she could muster though she knew it was harming her more than him.

He laughed,"Ow its hurting sooo much. I'll definitely get bruises from this." He taunted and her rage grew. Even Nugget watched him with narrowed eyes, his little head sticking out of her pocket.

"I swear to god Raphael Angelo Dumont Romano I will-"

"How do you know my full name?" He cut her off.

She narrowed her eyes,"I asked papa, of course. I like to remain aware unlike some people."

"I would have you know that I know your full name Zara Astral Dumont Romano-"

"Stop riling her up, Raph." A third voice spoke and they both looked up to see Dele entering the room, the cookies in his hand.

"I am not riling her up." He defended but Dele barely rolled his eyes. The older of the two boys offered her a hand to stand up and she did so.

Raph stood up after her and Dele wasted no time in punching his arm. A yelp escaped the younger boy's lips and Dele smiled,"That hurt now, didn't it? Don't taunt your sister."

He ruffled her hair and went to sit down in his previous spot. Zara passed Raph a mocking grin and plopped down in between her two brothers as well.

Raph huffed but went to his previous spot, still rubbing his arm. Dele placed the cookies in between them and they could already tell that they would be good.

Zara didn't wait for anyone. She just picked up one and took a bite, knowing that it was all she would be having. She had enough to eat today as it is.

The rest didn't waste any time either after that. They picked one up and took a bite. Tino's mouth dropped open in shock,"This is fucking good!" He exclaimed and quickly picked up another, securing it for himself.

"Yes." Raph muttered and gobbled it down,"Those are awesome."

"You should bake everyday." Sil suggested as he picked up another one.

The others passed their compliments and she nodded awkwardly in return. What do you do when people pass you compliments? If you blush then you are termed shy and if you accept them you are termed conceited. What should she do?

Tino saw her expression and laughed,"You are so awkward, Z! Its almost comical."

"Well then don't give compliments. There is no right way you can react to them." She defended.

Tino laughed but continued eating. Within minutes, all the sandwiches were gone. The younger brothers quabbled for the last couple ones but eventually after a few kicks and shoves the winners were decided.

Immature idiots, she thought fondly.

She heard Sal sigh beside her and mutter quietly,"Mom used to make them like that."

She wasn't surprised that he remembered. He must be seven when their mother left this house and such small, rare things always stick to you. One might not even realise it but their senses have registered those feelings. And one can only remember it when they experience that same thing again even after so many years.

She felt a small smile form on her lips and turned to him,"She taught me. She used to love baking." She muttered back quietly and watched as a bitter sweet smile crossed his face.

A smile of memories that were made and all the memories that could have been made.

"Its time for all the kids to get to their beds. Start going, kiddos. And that includes you, Raph." Leo said, grabbing their attention.

Raph blinked in disbelief,"Excuse you but I am not a kid. I am a legal adult who has graduated high school."

Leo smiled sarcastically,"Maybe I'll believing that when you start acting like an adult. Plus, you will always be younger than me."

"So will Dele! You don't call him a kid though." He protested.

"Dele is mature. Practically a doctor. And only a year younger. Now go." He shooed them all away.

Raph grumbled about how unfair this was but slowly trudged up the stairs, followed by Ben, Sil, Tino and Zara.

Just before she reached the stairs, she turned and pointed at the 'big' brothers who were assembling the blankets in the living room and spoke,"If a ghost comes after me tonight, I am taking shelter in your room. You better have a priest on your speed dial."

The three passed her an amused smile,"Sure, bambina. Don't worry." Leo said and watched her trot up the stairs.

God, how could someone be so mature yet immature at the same time?

~

Nightmares were something Zara hated. They bring back the worst memories that the person is many times unaware of even having and play it in their minds. Or conjure up the worst situations, knowing fully well how affected a person would be by them.

She pitied those who had nightmares. Sleep is one time a person can be relieved of all the stress and they don't even get that liberty.

And by that logic, she pitied herself as well. Because despite hating nightmares, they were the one thing that plagued her every night.

Without fail.

She woke up with a gasp, her breathing uneven and tears coating her cheeks. Her hand immediately went to her ambdomen as she struggled to take in a breath. Her mind was still fuzzy with the memories and her head hurt from squeezing her eyes shut this tight.

Was it too much to ask for the nightmares to permanently go away? To leave her brain and let her sleep peacefully? Apparently yes.

When she finally opened her eyes, the room was dark. With trembling hands she wiped her tears, trying to remove the moisture from her vision. She exhaled shakily and pushed herself to her elbows with some effort. Her throat burned. She needed water.

Her vision cleared and adjusted to the dark. She gazed down at her hands. Will she always be so weird? So different? So broken? So weak?

Running a hand through her messy hair, she started to sit up to go fetch for a glass of water when her gaze landed on something sitting next to her on the bed.

A doll.

Its round eyes with small pupils stared at her and its mouth was stitched in a gruesome smile. Its choppy hair was all over the place. Its hands were folded in front and it seemed to be looking directly at her.

A shriek left her lips as she remembered the events of the movie she had just watched. She quickly scrambled to stand up but her feet got stuck in her blanket. She ended up losing her balance and her head hit the marble floor.

Her head hurt but she didn't stick around to see the damage. Instead she quickly disentangled herself and ran towards the door, fear clouding her brain. She was so dead.

But nothing in her life could ever be easy. She stumbled over the soft rug in her hurry to reach the door. Losing her balance, she crashed to the floor once again.

What was happening?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

375K 8.7K 24
She was just a girl who wanted to know about her real family. He was just a boy who stay in his bestfriend's house more than his own foster parents'...
3.6K 85 11
Amina is 23 years old and just ended the college for nursery and has been working at a small hospital at big New York for 2 months. Her dad is a doct...
70.7K 1K 24
He walks closer to me, pushing me back against his desk. "I'm going to throw you down and fuck you until you scream my fucking name." His fingers sli...
Caterina By Hoperen

General Fiction

1K 24 17
[This book is inspired by the many mafia books I have read] 15 years ago the Italian family lost the two bundles of joy and light in their family, th...