Love Me

By Detentionqueen

Pain, hatred and abuse are the only things Alyssa Jordan knew after the unexpected death of her parents. Unlo... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Author's Note
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Character Reviews
Chapter Fifteen
1K!!!
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Special Announcement!!!!!
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Face Reveal!!!
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Fourty
Chapter Fourty-one
Chapter Fourty-two
Epilogue
Special Chapter
Graham Family Moments
Lianne's Revenge
Announcement

Chapter Twenty-one

21.7K 758 103
By Detentionqueen

Nathan

I rushed through the hallways of the hospital to room 165. Gran was there, her head on Grandad's shoulder. She had stopped crying but her eyes were red and swollen, filled with sadness. We weren't allowed into the room yet because the doctor was still examining him so we waited impatiently outside the door.

“How did this happen?” I dared to ask.

Gran let out a deep breath. “W-we, h-he” she gulped, wiping the tears that welled in her eyes. “He wanted to get some d-donuts from the s-shop across the street, I couldn't say no. He was so excited, before I could even put my coat on, he had run out. It all happened so fast, I couldn't even register what happened.” She sniffed. “When I came out, he ran to the road, wanting to cross, then a motorcycle came and...”

She couldn't even finish her sentence before she burst into tears again. I was in shock, hearing what she said. Unsteady on my feet, I dropped onto the chair next to her, my face buried in my hands.

I couldn't say anything. My son was hit by a motorcycle, maybe badly hurt. I hoped not. Oliver was my son, my life. When I was stressed or angry, he'd be there to cheer me up. Sure the circumstances that led to his birth were not ideal but I couldn't live without him.

I felt like crying but I had to be strong for Gran. I knew she felt like it was he fault but it wasn't. Oliver was reckless at times and often oblivious to possible dangers around him. He should have known better than to run into the road like that.

“The person on the motorcycle, what about them?” I remember to ask.

Gran shook her disappointedly. “He didn't even stop. When he realised what he did, he even went faster. I didn't bother, I just had to get Oliver to a hospital.”

He arsehole decided to do the most dishonorable thing ever and leave knowing that he had hurt a little kid. My hands clenched into fist as I stood up and walked to a window. I was so angry. I wanted to punch something, someone, the person who did this. How could someone be so cowardly?

I felt a hand land softly on my shoulder and looked back to see that it was Alyssa's. “It's going to be okay, Nathan.” She whispered assuringly. I nearly forgot she was here.

I dropped my head, not saying anything. I never believed when anyone said that. It was like a trigger for everything to go wrong. I hated that statement.

The doctor came out of the room soon after and I rushed to him, eager to hear that nothing was wrong and that we were just worried for nothing. That wasn't the case, of course.

“Oliver was hit pretty hard. He had some internal bleeding and his arm is broken. He has some bruises on and around his chest area but all in all he should be okay in four to six weeks.” He explained cautiously.

“Can we see him?” I asked hopefully.

“Are you direct family?”

“Yes, I'm his father.” I informed him.

He opened the door and ushered me in. I walked slowly. I was afraid of what I'd see. Although the doctor said he wasn't so bad, I didn't want to see him like that. Finally mustering up the courage, I raised my head to look at him.

He looked so small on the hospital bed, heart monitor next to him reading his heartbeat. He had a cast on his left forearm and a few scratches on his face but that was it. He was fine, well, as fine as a person who had gotten hit by a motorcycle would be but fine. His breathing was steady and so was his heartbeat. Maybe he would be okay after all.

The doctor came in, telling me that only one person could stay with him overnight.

“I'll stay.” Alyssa offered.

I wanted to refuse but Gran beat me to it. “No, you and Nathan have had a stressful day. You two should rest, I'll stay with Oliver.”

I was my turn to counter. “I'll stay, Gran, too much stress isn't good for your health, you should rest, you too Alyssa.”

They tried to argue but my grandfather cut in. “Nathan should stay. He's Oliver's father, Oliver would be more comfortable seeing him when he wakes up.”

Everyone knew Grandad was right and didn't say anything else. Alyssa left with them reluctantly while I stayed. The doctor told me that he would be awake anytime from tomorrow morning and I couldn't wait.

I settled into the only chair in the room next to the bed. It took a while but I was able to close my eyes and get some sleep.

***********

Alyssa

I didn't sleep at all last night. I was too worried about Oliver. He didn't deserve this. He was just a little kid. I don't know who did this but karma is gonna catch up with them. I just want my Olly to be okay again.

I was also worried about Nathan.  He would be really stressed out because of this. Knowing how parents are, I'm sure he'd be killing himself over this. Hopefully Oliver recovers soon.

I strolled into the kitchen, saying a greeting to Carina and Matthew. Carina looked like she didn't sleep either, seems like none of us did. I knew she blamed herself because Oliver was under her care but it wasn't her fault. Oliver can be a little excitable sometimes, yesterday was just one of those times and unfortunately it ended with him in the hospital. She really shouldn't feel guilty about it.

“We're off to the hospital after breakfast, are you coming?” Carina asked.

I answered immediately. “Sure.”

So after breakfast, Matthew drove us to the hospital. We went straight to Oliver's room where the doctor was checking him. Oliver wasn't awake, he hadn't been awake since last night but Nathan was. He was watching the doctor's movement raptly.

The doctor said something and Nathan nodded. The doctor greeted us, saying that Oliver was okay and would wake up today. I really hope so. Nathan's eyes were bloodshot and he looked like he didn't get much sleep, none of us did. We were all too worried about the bod laying in the hospital bed.

The doctor left us and I went to stand in front of Nathan. He glanced up at me with tired eyes, bags forming underneath them.

“Are you doing alright?” I knew it was a stupid question but I had to ask.

He nodded weakly, sparing a glance at Oliver who was still lying motionless. Carina put a reassuring hand on his shoulder from behind and offered him a smile. He touched her hand, silently thanking her and dropped his head.

Maybe the best thing he could do was go home, shower, eat and take a nap. I knew it would be hard to convince him but he had to.

“Nathan, how about you go home and rest?” I tried. He immediately began to disagree but I persisted. “Oliver is going to be fine but you need sleep.”

“So do all of you.” He pointed out smartly.

Yes, all of us needed a good night's sleep but he also needed to get out of the hospital. Being here was causing him more stress. He was jumpy and looking at Oliver every fifteen seconds. The doctor said he was going to be fine and I chose to believe him but Nathan didn't and it was driving him crazy. It wasn't healthy for him to be here.

“Nathan, dear, let's go home. You need food and I need to make something for when Oliver wakes up, Alyssa can stay with him.” Carina gambled. “And besides Oliver would want to see you like this, would he?”

Nathan sighed in resignation, knowing fully well that his grandmother was right. “Okay, I'll be back in an hour though.”

“No, that's not enough time.” Carina stated. “We'll be back by afternoon but call us if anything happens.”

I nodded. Nathan stood up from the chair I'm sure he hadn't left since last night and I took his place.

“Please, call me if he makes the slightest movement.” He pleaded.

“Of course I will. You just go rest and eat something, I can practically hear your stomach growling from here.” I joked at the end, hoping to lighten his mood.

He gave an airy chuckle then left with Carina and Matthew. Matthew was the one driving because Carina couldn't and Nathan was in no shape to drive.

My attention turned to Oliver who was still not awake. How long does it take for a hospital patient to wake up? He didn't even have a major surgery so why isn't he up yet.

I knew I had to be patient but it was frustrating not knowing when he was gonna be awake and if he was going to be the same. What if there was some undetected damage to his brain that would alter his personality? What if there was more to his internal bleeding? Maybe his arm would never be the same again and he wouldn't be able to live out the rest of his childhood normally?

I knew I was worrying for nothing but I couldn't help it. I love Oliver, he wasn't just my stepson, it's like he's a part of me. I can't explain it. In the little time I spent with him, I've grown to think of him as my own. Whether I like it or not, but I do, he's mine to nurture and raise, alongside Nathan of course.

I had nothing to do here. I didn't bring a book and I had no one to talk to on my phone which made me think on how I really need to make friends. I moved the chair to the window, staring at the hospital's wet lawn. It rained last night and it's really cold now. I hope Oliver wasn't cold. Is he cold right now?

I hate that he can't tell me.

Beyond the fence, I could see cars passing by and a few motorcycles. I didn't quite like that vehicle before but now I hate it. The person who did this should be brought to justice, what he or she did is basically a crime. Who knows if it was intentional? Maybe the person had it out for Nathan.

Does Nathan have any enemies? I have to ask. Or was this Christopher's way of  getting at me? Does he know about Oliver? He didn't seem to when he made the deal.

I had to get rid of these crazy conspiracy theories. Christopher would go to the lengths of hurting a child to get to me. Or was this Hailey's doing? Maybe she wanted to make it look like I was reckless so Nathan would leave me.

Maybe a walk around the hospital would clear my mind. I got up and looked at Oliver then the heart monitor, letting the steady beeping noise calm me, telling me that he was alive.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beeeeeeee...

Author's Note:

Hey guys, sorry this chapter is so late and a bit short. I was having a hard time with it.

Questions:

1. Do you think any of Alyssa's theories were correct?

2. Did you like the chapter?

3. What do you want to happen next?

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote, comment and share.

-E

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.4K 2.5K 41
Lindsey thought she had it all figured out. This was her last year at University and she was happily engaged. That is until she told her family. No o...
78 0 11
This is my first book , so sorry if it sucks. THIS IS NOT EDITED!!! MADISON JENKINS- she had a loving family until they got into a car accident and...
159K 4K 47
Sophia Graham is 22 years old, and has just left university. Only her experience there wasn't the easiest. Sophia was bullied during her time in high...
60.9K 3.3K 60
š‚šŽšŒšš‹š„š“š„šƒ šš„š– š€šƒš”š‹š“ š‘šŽšŒš€šš‚š„ š–šˆš“š‡ š’šŽš…š“ š€ššƒ šŒš€š“š”š‘š„ š“š‡š„šŒš„š’ Newly engaged couple Sierra and Nick were eage...